Eruption! by Severus Draconis Potter
Summary: Challenge by WhiteTail about a Natural Disaster at Hogwarts. When he looked out the window all he could see was thick smoke, and the smell of burning sulfer in the air. He swallowed the fear thickly, unable to believe that something like lava had penetrated Hogwarts
Categories: Healer Snape, Teacher Snape > Trusted Mentor Snape, Parental Snape > Guardian Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Draco, Dumbledore, Fred George, McGonagall, Neville, Original Character, Other, Percy, Pomfrey, Remus, Ron, Sirius
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Action/Adventure, Drama, Family, General, Hurt/Comfort, Mystery, Tragedy
Media Type: None
Tags: Alternate Universe, Azkaban Character, Physical Impairment
Takes Place: 3rd Year
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys, Character Death, Neglect, Profanity, Suicide Themes
Prompts: Natural Disaster at Hogwarts
Challenges: Natural Disaster at Hogwarts
Series: None
Chapters: 21 Completed: Yes Word count: 105750 Read: 82679 Published: 21 Apr 2013 Updated: 11 Nov 2020
Chapter 11: The Aftermath by Severus Draconis Potter
Author's Notes:
This was an emotional chapter for me, not sure why but it hit me hard so I hope you guys like it. Oh yeah the name Ailis is pronounced Ay+lish, and it's Irish and means God is my oath. Like I said the story is starting to come together.

Severus was the first one to enter the Headmaster's office, not even bothering with knocking, because at the moment there really was no point. He was able to note once Black came in behind him that it was only Draco and Albus. Where in the world had the Weasley boy gone? Before he could even ask, it was Harry that spoke first, not really noticing the look of shock, and disbelief at the two who only had eyes for Black.

"Draco, where's Ron?" Harry asked curiously.

"He left, he went with his family," Draco replied hoarsely, not trusting himself to stand up or do anything else really. He had no fight left in him, and he didn't care at this point.

"Oh, then why haven't you gone with your family as well?" The curious little Gryffindor wanted to know.

"Ask the Headmaster," Draco replied with a shrug of indifference as he covered his eyes with his arm once more. True, he was dying to know just why Sirius Black was doing with Snape, but at the same time, he really didn't care.

"Headmaster?" Harry asked softly as he turned to the old man in confusion.

"In a moment Harry. In the meantime maybe you can tell me Severus, just what Mr. Black is doing here?" Albus said quietly, he was in mourning as his eyes didn't have it's customary twinkle but at the same time, they were hard as steel as he looked at his guests.

"Believe it or not, Black is innocent," Severus sneered out. "We have the proof, and at the moment we are taking said proof and heading to the Ministry, while he hides out."

Albus blinked at that statement, looking at Severus with a critical eye. He knew then that Sirius Black was indeed innocent as Severus would never ever say something like this if it wasn't true. The hatred between both men, was infamous as the Marauders themselves were.

"Indeed, we'll probably run into Lucius Malfoy while we're there," Albus replied gesturing for the Slytherin to get up.

"Not that my opinion matters to anyone but I would like to go home. I want to see my mother, before I see my father," Draco whispered out sadly.

Harry was giving the boy a scandalized look. "Your opinion matters too Draco," he was quick to tell the other boy.

"It really doesn't Harry, not here anyway, and that's fine. I'm beginning to get used to it anyway," he mumbled out in a detached voice.

Draco felt like he was getting torn up from the inside out, he had never felt like this before. That hug that Fred had given him, had mended a bit of it, but when he had been left; it had been ripped opened yet again. He shook his head away as the tears stung the back of his eyes. He was not going to do this here yet again. He knew he would be receiving no such comfort this time around, he knew.

Harry was staring at the boy and frowning but what could he say after that? He just followed the blonde boy who grabbed the floo powder and disappeared in the green flames. He stared at the empty fireplace and turned back to look at his Potion's Professor.

"Is he gonna be okay?" He asked softly.

Severus wasn't sure how to answer that if he was being honest. He had never see Draco look so forlorn as he did in that moment. But at the same time he had the grace to lie to the child in front of him. He didn't need Harry worrying about Draco when they had other things to worry about. Mainly about the rest of the children.

"He'll be fine," he said before quickly pulling the boy back from the fireplace that flared to reveal Minerva's head.

"Albus I have flooed out, 2 of the last Gryffindors and 2 Ravenclaws. Are all the students out?" She asked, as she stepped through the floo.

"They are, the only student's...left are the two in my office that you see," he told her quietly. He had barely refrained from saying alive as he knew the children didn't need anymore nightmares.

"Then I best floo to St. Mungos, no doubt parent's are there awaiting news of their children, will you be joining me?" She asked him as she grabbed the powder.

"No, I will be going with Severus and Harry to the Ministry to inform them. And to send out letters to the families whose child is no longer registered here," he murmured giving her a sad look.

Harry shuddered at the man's word, leaning back onto his Potion's Master torso as he tried not to think about the kids who died. He didn't even know who they were, and he didn't want to know.

"It'll be fine," Severus told him quietly before he turned to Black. "Give me the girl, she's coming to the ministry with us," he told the man.

Sirius shook his head at that suggestion. "She needs to go to St. Mungos. She burnt her feet pretty badly when she fell," he murmured as he handed over the child, who immediately whimpered when she found herself in Professor Snape's arms before being transferred to Minerva.

"Sirius," she whined out reaching for the man once more.

"You gotta go, and so do I. But I'll tell you what, I'll owl you alright?" He told her gently.

"No, when they announce you as innocent, you gotta come see me," she told him tearfully as she reached for him.

"Alright kid, I will if your parent's let me," Sirius replied softly, but he too was gonna miss the girl.

"They will, promise me you'll come," she told him her eyes locking with his.

"I promise Amanda, I will come," Sirius replied firmly before he made his way to her. "You just focus on getting all better," he said as he hugged her tightly before she disappeared in the floo with Minerva.

Harry was staring at the back of his godfather's head with a look of envy on his face. He didn't know where the hell the rush of jealously came from but he didn't like it. He didn't blame Amanda or Sirius for that matter, however he just was so confused. He shook his head as he tugged his Potion's Master towards the fireplace.

"Wait Prongslet, I will be back for you. Make no doubt about it, when this is all over you're living with me," Sirius told him as he hugged his godson tightly before he quickly flooed away.

Harry stared at the empty fireplace in disbelief, as he looked back to find Snape with an unreadable expression on his face. He wasn't sure how he felt about that, did he want to live with Sirius? He wanted to get away from the Durselys that's for sure, but a part of him couldn't help but wish that Snape had said those same words to him. He shook his head before turning to look at the headmaster.

"Are we flooing there?" He asked softly.

"No we're flashing there, Fawkes will take us," Albus said as he shrunk the registry book and made his way over to his phoenix and gestured to the other two to grab a tail of the bird. They all disappeared in rush of fire.

They landed in the middle of the Atrium in the Ministry of Magic, and there was truly only one word to describe what Harry felt they had dropped into. It was utter chaos, and he found himself grabbing his Potion's Professor's hand tightly and pressing himself in his side.

"Nothing to worry about my boy," Albus murmured as he saw the fearful expression on the child's face as he led them to the Minister's office.

The old man's strides were purposeful but at the same time he was dreading this meeting. And they were definitely going to be putting a privacy charm around the 3 men. Harry was not going to be listening in on this, never mind that he would be in the same room as them. As they got off the elevator he turned to look at Severus, quirking an eyebrow at the man who had picked up the child and seemed quite content despite everything. Knowing that Harry was fine for the moment, he knocked on the Minister's door, waiting for the man to let them in.

~*~*~*The Burrow~*~*~*~*

The minute Fred had flooed over with his siblings, he had felt the weight of the situation hit him full force once he was home and he staggered. He found himself panting as he had just ran a race, looking around his house more importantly his mother who was currently holding Ginny and Ron to her chest tightly. He didn't see his father anywhere, and was unsure what that meant.

He couldn't help it, as he looked towards the clock that showed him and his siblings and where they were. 5 were pointing home, and Percy's was pointing at mortal peril That had count for something, he was alive he was still alive, just still in a bad way. Fred didn't realize why one of his older brothers was also pointing at home. He staggered again and would have fallen when he felt someone catch him. He expected it to be his twin brother, only to find George in the clutches of his mum, but he didn't seem to care. He choked on a sob, as he turned to find himself looking into the worried eyes of his older brother.

"Charlie what are you doing here?" He whispered out tearfully.

"Something happened at Hogwarts, I don't know what. Dad and Bill went to see what they could find out at the ministry, but mum needed me here," Charlie told him seriously as he hugged the boy. "What happened?"

"We have to go to St. Mungos," he breathed out slowly, trying to get a handle on his emotions. This was too much, to much to deal with in so little time.

"Why? What's happened?" He repeated a bit more firmly.

"Would you believe me if I said a Volcano erupted and Hogwarts was in the way?" He said with a humorless chuckle, trying not to just break down and cry. As it was George was already there, and he had to be the one to explain just what the hell was going on.

"I would, given the fact that George, Ron and Ginny haven't yet let go of mum," he said slowly as he turned his head around for a moment as he realized something. "Where's Percy?" He asked out quietly, feeling his stomach drop at the implication of what his brother had been saying.

"St. Mungo's, Professor Snape port-keyed him there, so we have to go. We have to see that he's okay," Fred rushed out as he forced himself to stand up and pushing himself slightly away from his brother. His eyes were red but dry, he could cry later, but not now. Now was not the time.

Charlie's eyes flashed to his mother wondering if she wanted to stay here with the two youngest as he wasn't sure if she had heard part's of their conversation.

"We're all going," Molly said as soon as she and her son made eye contact.

"Alright, I'll floo with Fred and Ron," Charlie said as he gestured for the third year to make his way towards them. Surprisingly the boy didn't want to let go of his mum, which was saying something as Ron often complained that he didn't like when she hugged on him and 'babied' him.

"We'll meet you there, I'll floo Arthur and let him know where we are," she said nodding to her son to go.

"Alright mum," Charlie said before hurrying into the fireplace and disappearing with his siblings to the Hospital.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Meanwhile Remus was sitting in his chair, looking between his two sleeping students sadly. Who would have thought that today would end like this where he was? Could this have all been prevented? Why them? Why not him, they had their whole lives ahead of them, and then this, what did that bode for them? He sighed softly, as he let his thoughts run wild, not really paying much attention at the moment. His sensitive ears however picked up the slight change in breathing of the Slytherin in the bed to the left of him and he turned to face him knowing the boy was awake.

"How are you feeling Theodore?" Remus asked softly, unsure if he should call for a nurse or not.

"Thirsty," the boy rasped out.

Remus nodded and helped the child sit up and drink for a cup before he put it down, looking at the child on the bed. His whole right hand was bandaged to just past the elbow.

"Are you in any pain?" He asked him gently.

"No sir," Theodore replied softly as he looked at his arm. He couldn't wiggle his fingers or even move his arm and turned to look at his teacher with a horrified expression.

"What is it?" Remus asked as he sat up in his chair worriedly.

"I can't move my arm!" He said getting worked up, his breaths coming out quickly, as if he was trying to ward off a panic attack.

Remus nodded. "I know you can't that's because the healers have spelled it. There is no need to worry, I promise. They need to make sure that it stays perfectly still as it is far from being the way it's suppose too. You suffered a lot of nerve damage Theo," he explained gently.

"What does that mean?" The child asked tearfully.

Remus chewed his bottom lip quietly for a moment trying to answer that delicate question. It was hard as the only way he could think of even explaining a bit was having to compare the Unforgivable and he was not going down that road.

"It means that the lava burned your skin to the bone and by association your nerves. That's tricky anyway, and they're having a hard time trying to make sure that you retain most of your nerve capability in your hand," he said carefully.

"You mean I might not be able to use my hand again?" Theo asked fearfully,

"Yes, they're doing everything they can to make sure that doesn't happen. But given the time when you were burned and when you came to have medical help, is bothersome," Remus said gently.

Theodore nodded slowly as he processed all of that, trying hard to stay in control. If he hadn't of grabbed Greg's hand, he wouldn't be in this mess. But for the life of him he didn't regret it. This was his price he paid for his friend dying. He had tried to save him and he would not ever regret doing all that he could. If anything he would blame himself for not doing enough. So what if he never gained all the nerves in his hand ever again? He was alive, and Greg and Vincent were not. What right did he have to complain about the lost of his wand hand so to speak? He sniffled as the very thought nearly took his breath away, and he gasped on the air.

"Theodore?" Remus asked hovering worriedly as he looked at the child literally breaking on the bed. He knew his hand was probably a huge loss to the child, and had no words of comfort at that time. Well none that he figured would help the situation.

"2 of my friends died today, and I may never use my hand again. I don't think that's a fair trade. I don't care about my hand, it doesn't matter. Nothing does they're never coming back," Theo cried out as his face fell into his left hand and he sobbed in earnest at the grief that was starting to overwhelm him.

Remus looked at the boy in alarm, having not expected this particular reaction but he should have. He had thought that the child would be more worried about his hand, but guess not. He knew what the boy was feeling however, he had been there. Granted not that young of age but he knew the pain that was eating away at him and he wished he could take it from him.

"I know, and I'm so sorry for your loss. I wish I could take this away from you, but I can't," he replied softly.

"This is isn't fair! This wasn't supposed to happen. This wasn't supposed to be real. Why did this happen? What did we do to deserve this? Is this punishment? Whatever I did I'm sorry," the little boy cried out brokenly feeling like his head would explode from the grief.

"You didn't do anything, none of this is your fault. This was mother nature," Remus said unable to take it any longer. He reached over to rub the child's back, expecting him to recoil in shock only to get a shock himself when the boy launched himself at his torso. He found himself yet again with the child crying in his chest as he comforted him.

"I'm sorry, I'm sorry, I'm sorry," Theodore was blubbering over and over again. He didn't understand what the hell was going on with himself at the moment. He felt out of control but he knew one thing he didn't want the man to push him away

"There's nothing to be sorry for. This was not your fault, you are not to blame for this," Remus told him gently but firmly as he whispered soothing words in the child's hair. He looked up suddenly when he saw someone quickly rush into the room, tightening his hold on the child.

"Remus it's just us," Charlie said quietly as he pulled Fred and Ron towards Percy's bed.

"Charlie," Remus breathed out, unable to move from his spot to stand up. He was well aware that the apologies had stopped once the boy realized they weren't alone anymore. However he could still feel the tears leaking through his robes, so the child was still crying.

"How is he?" Charlie asked, his eyes unable and unwilling to leave his little's brother's prone form in the bed.

"He's in no pain, he's in an induced sleep," Remus said vaguely.

"What was wrong with him?" Charlie asked when it became apparent that Fred wasn't going to answer anymore questions. As it was, the the boy in question was standing on the side of his brother's bed looking for the world like he was going to burst into tears.

"He was badly burned, his legs. I'm unsure of what happened as when he was port-keyed here he was alone," Remus told him.

"Fred and George were with him, but Fred isn't talking much at the moment," Charlie said gesturing with his head towards the boy in question.

"That's understandable," Remus said with a nod as they talk quietly not wanting to disturb the boys.

Fred forcibly bit his lower lip to stop trembling, well aware that his brother was watching him. He looked down at Percy on the bed, this was far cry from how the boy usually was and he didn't like it. He was fighting hard to make sure his emotions stayed where they were, and grabbed his brother's hand and held it tight.

"You'd better not die Percy, or mum we'll kill us," Fred said quietly as he squeezed the limp hand, wishing with every fiber of his being that his brother would just wake up. He looked to be as if he was sleeping but he knew having seen that this was more then just a normal sleep. He took a deep breath and found himself choking as he took in the rest of his brother's form.

Charlie was at his brother's side in an instant, patting his back to make sure that he was okay. "You good Fred? What is it?" He asked worriedly, trying to find the source of what caused the reaction as he tried to comfort his brother.

"His legs are gone, Merlin his legs are gone. We thought they would be okay, we saw but we thought. Oh no, he doesn't have legs," Fred blabbered out hysterically before he found himself starting to hyperventilate.

Remus for his part leaned over and pressed the button for a healer, sighing in relief when a moment later one appeared. They didn't even need to say anything before the woman was administering Fred and Theodore a calming potion.

"Do you need one Ron?" Charlie asked softly turning to look at his youngest brother.

"No, I'm good," Ron replied quietly as he took a seat by his brother's bed.

Charlie sighed and sat down with Fred, as he looked down at his brother. He wanted Percy to wake up to assure them all that he was okay, but at the same time he didn't want too. He didn't want to feel the inadequacy he was sure to feel when he saw he had no legs. He took a breath as he dropped his head into his brother's hair. "It's going to be fine,"

"No it's not, this is the furthest thing from fine," Fred said softly, allowing himself to close his eyes once he saw his mother coming into the room. He didn't want to be in here when she was aware of the fact that her favorite son would never walk again. The potion allowed him to keep calm but that didn't mean it made him unable to feel. He hurt all on the inside, what kind was this? He didn't like it. He was grateful however when his twin came, and he attached himself to his other half gaining comfort that he couldn't get any other way.

~*~*~*~The Ministry~*~*~*~

Dean took another deep breath from where he was pressed into the wall. There was so many people around him, but he had never felt more alone then he did in that moment. He couldn't remember for the life of him what the 7th year girl's name was, but her face was familiar to him. He couldn't believe how selfless she had been, she didn't have to save him. Why did save him? What had possessed her so? And why couldn't he have saved her back? He took another shuddering breath, shaking his head to dispel the thoughts. He couldn't think on that, he had to find his parents and Seamus's parents and her parents. He wouldn't cry, not now, he had to tell them. He couldn't leave them in the dark. He nodded again and steeled himself before pushing up against the wall, and looking around knowing that these were family members from kids from Hogwarts.

He felt so sick as he quickly spotted out Seamus's mum, and his heart rose along with his stomach in his throat. He should have never gone first, he should have made his friend go. Why? He pressed the heel of his hands in his eyes to push the tears back before he made his way towards her. He gently pushed pass people, feeling like the journey to her took forever but at the same time was too quick.

Soon enough he was in front of her, but she was looking at him she was walking quite rapidly to another parent. He didn't want to do this, to tell her. Why did have to be the bearer of bad news? She would hate him forever, as he hated himself now. This was all his fault. He should have known, he knew Seamus was afraid of heights, he had just forgotten in that moment as fear overrode everything.

"Mrs. Finnegan?" He called out timidly as he reached out to touch her at the same time.

"Yes?" Ailis Finnegan turned around, only to find in her surprise that it was her son's best friend. "Dean!" She said out with some relief as she hugged the child, knowing his mother was around here looking for him.

Dean swallowed the lump in his throat as he hugged back tightly in return. He couldn't do this, but he had too. He had no choice. "I have to talk to you," he told her softly.

"Of course you can dear, where's Seamus? Is he around here as well?" She asked, looking around for her son, already breathing a bit easier as her son and Dean were inseparable.

"No, he's not here," Dean whispered out as he pulled himself back from her hug to look at her. He felt like he was gonna be sick, not to mention why did he feel like something was stabbing his very heart, and his eyes burned. But he had to do this.

"Where is he then?" She asked frowning slightly, her relief making way for worry. "Is he okay?"

"No," Dean said bracing himself for this. He couldn't decided what hurt the most, and he was breaking apart from the pain of it.

"Oh Merlin, what happened?" She forced herself to ask, dread coursing through her body.

"We were in the castle, and um there was Lava from the volcano. And we were in a room together and then the lava was there too and we couldn't get out. So Seamus suggested the window, but we were up so so high, and he told me go first and I did..." Dean rushed out before he broke off with a gasp trying to get control of his emotions.

Ailis was still holding onto the child, looking at him pleadingly to finish. She could feel it in her heart now, where her son was. And while it didn't make it easier, she needed to hear all of it. For closure, but god this hurt so bad. "And then what?" She prodded gently.

"I climbed out the window and walked a few spaces so he could have room, but when I turned around he wasn't there, so I hurried back and was yelling at him to move, but he didn't. He was frozen in fear, so I tried to come back in the window to get him, but he broke off his necklace and shoved it at me and closed the window. He wouldn't let me go back in," Dean said hoarsely.

"Merlin," she breathed out harshly as the grief hit her in that very moment, and would have fallen if it hadn't been for the child's arms around her.

"I'm sorry, I'm sorry. I never should have gone first, I tried to go back but he wouldn't let me," Dean said was telling her frantically as if she wouldn't believe him.

"Don't you dare blame yourself," she told him seriously, her voice in that moment strong despite the fact that she felt like she would fall any moment.

"It is my fault, he's my best friend. I should have remembered he was afraid of heights. It's my fault," Dean said before he finally broke down, his face pressed into her stomach as he cried. "I'm sorry,"

"Oh Dean, it's not your fault. Far from it honey, this was not your fault, and I don't blame you in the slightest," she told him tearfully as she rubbed his back trying to comfort him. She bent her down and buried it in his hair and cried for the loss of her son, wondering how they were all going to get through this.

The pain in her heart felt like she was getting ripped to shreds, and as much as it hurt her, she had to wonder just how much pain Dean could take. As she knew without a doubt that he had witnessed his best friend's death. How did one get over that? She didn't know, but she knew that she wouldn't let him give up that was for sure. He would live, since Seamus couldn't, he would live for them both. And he would live his life to the fullest, she would make sure of that.

The End.
End Notes:
What did you think? Hoped you liked it...dont be a flamer if it wasnt your cup of tea, *shrugs*


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=2935