Eruption! by Severus Draconis Potter
Summary: Challenge by WhiteTail about a Natural Disaster at Hogwarts. When he looked out the window all he could see was thick smoke, and the smell of burning sulfer in the air. He swallowed the fear thickly, unable to believe that something like lava had penetrated Hogwarts
Categories: Healer Snape, Teacher Snape > Trusted Mentor Snape, Parental Snape > Guardian Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Draco, Dumbledore, Fred George, McGonagall, Neville, Original Character, Other, Percy, Pomfrey, Remus, Ron, Sirius
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Action/Adventure, Drama, Family, General, Hurt/Comfort, Mystery, Tragedy
Media Type: None
Tags: Alternate Universe, Azkaban Character, Physical Impairment
Takes Place: 3rd Year
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys, Character Death, Neglect, Profanity, Suicide Themes
Prompts: Natural Disaster at Hogwarts
Challenges: Natural Disaster at Hogwarts
Series: None
Chapters: 21 Completed: Yes Word count: 105750 Read: 82680 Published: 21 Apr 2013 Updated: 11 Nov 2020
Story Notes:
I know I have no business even thinking about starting a new story let alone posting it but I had too. This just wouldnt go away, especially after reading the two stories in that Challenge that had to do with either a flood or an Earthquake. I couldnt resist writing one about a Volcano. I'll try to update my other stories but the muse for this one is on a role, I'm already on Chapter 3 and I have everything planned out.

1. Chapter 1: The impossible Happens! by Severus Draconis Potter

2. Chapter 2: A Warning Ignored by Severus Draconis Potter

3. Chapter 3: Hogwarts will protect us right? by Severus Draconis Potter

4. Chapter 4: Who will Save the Children? by Severus Draconis Potter

5. Chapter 5: An Unexpected Savior by Severus Draconis Potter

6. Chapter 6: Sacrifices are a part of Surivival by Severus Draconis Potter

7. Chapter 7: The Will to Live by Severus Draconis Potter

8. Chapter 8: We Believe in this Love by Severus Draconis Potter

9. Chapter 9: The Definition of Bravery by Severus Draconis Potter

10. Chapter 10: Where do we go From Here? by Severus Draconis Potter

11. Chapter 11: The Aftermath by Severus Draconis Potter

12. Chapter 12: The Ministry, St. Mungos, and Condolences by Severus Draconis Potter

13. Chapter 13: Picking up the pieces and Rebuilding by Severus Draconis Potter

14. Chapter 14:Saying goodbye and Moving On by Severus Draconis Potter

15. Chapter 15: Gaining in the Midst of Tragedy by Severus Draconis Potter

16. Chapter 16: Thestrals, and School Resumes by Severus Draconis Potter

17. Chapter 17: What Hurts the Most is No one Noticed by Severus Draconis Potter

18. Chapter 18: Sometimes Time Doesn't Heal All Wounds by Severus Draconis Potter

19. Chapter 19: Mourning and Set Backs by Severus Draconis Potter

20. Chapter 20: Coming Together in Times of Sorrow by Severus Draconis Potter

21. Chapter 21:Everything is going to be Okay by Severus Draconis Potter

Chapter 1: The impossible Happens! by Severus Draconis Potter
Author's Notes:
The story jumps around from time to time, but they're are little brackets to show when each part is.I hope its not too confusing

Also, this chapter was tweaked with, it was pointed out that my timeline here was wrong. For everyone who doesnt kno this is an AU story.

Chapter One: The Impossible Happens!


~*~*~*~5:00pm~*~*~*~*~
Harry screamed loudly as he looked out the window of the castle to see the red, burning liquid coming straight for them. The fear that clawed at him, had him pushing his hands over his mouth in horror at what he was witnessing. This couldn't be true could it? His mind was playing tricks on him right? Even as he thought it, he knew it wasn't the truth. He could see the steam rising up from the intense heat on the ground, and he could swear that he could literally hear it. Coming down the mountain towards the castle was a steady flow of what looked like red water. But he had remembered studying this when he had been in muggle primary school. No one had told him when he came into the magical world that this was common.

His arms unconsciously hugged himself, his eyes going wide as they took in the scene in front of him. The fire was consuming everything it passed, he could see Hagrid's hut from where he was and the lava demolished it within seconds. He only hoped that the friendly half giant hadn't been in there. He refused to let himself think otherwise, as he knew now was certainly not the time to panic. He turned around to see that all the students behind him were now drawn to the window as he was.

He could see just down below that there were students coming back from Quidditch practice, it wasn't Gryffindor, otherwise Harry would have been down there. He could see green on their robes, so he knew they were Slytherins, but that didn't matter to him right now. Now that he was looking he could see a bit of blue, so there was some Ravenclaws as well. Didn't they see the lava right behind them? Didn't they know what kind of danger they were in? He had barely pulled up the window when he heard a scream come from below.

"Run! Get to the Castle hurry!" He screamed at them, who were looking at the scene behind them stupidly. He knew it was probably the fear that had them frozen in shock, but unless they wanted to live they had to move. He knew that and so did his classmates around him as he could hear their terrified screams joining his. His heart skipped a beat when it seemed like the straggler of the group was going to be engulfed in the lava, but the boy suddenly took to the air on his broom, heading towards the group.

The others followed suit, and Harry was breathing a sigh of relief, until he saw something. One of the boys had flown back down to grab something they had dropped and had got too close to the lava, and they could see how hot it was as he was screaming and it wasn't even touching him. His broom started to catch on fire and Harry gasped before he pushed himself away from the window. He couldn't see this, nor did he want too. He screwed his eyes tight as the screams of the boy mixed with the ones of his peers around him.

Soon enough though the boy stopped screaming, but Harry didn't look. He wanted to know if he had made it, or what happened but he couldn't make his voice work. He noticed now that some of the students were starting to cough as the air in the castle got thick with the gases coming from the lava.

"Close the windows!" Ron yelled, taking the words right out of Harry's mouth, and each person hurriedly complied to his words, all on autopilot for the most part.

They hadn't realized the extent of what they had been hearing from their teachers. Not until Harry himself had screamed and he found amidst all the pandemonium that was going on around him that couldn't wrap his head around it. Was this really the end? Is this how he was destined to die? Surely this couldn't be all it took right? Something in him started to break, if this was the end then where did Voldemort really fit in this? And what the heck was that whole thing about Sirius Black? If it wasn't one thing it was the other. He swallowed thickly as the lava got closer to the castle, it really was going to end like this, wasn't it?

He couldn't stay here, it was like he waiting his impending death, he was the boy who lived for a reason right? At the moment, he still didn't know why but that was but he knew that it didn't mean much at the moment. He needed to find his friends, and they had to get the hell out of here. He had a hunch that the castle wasn't going to protect them much longer like he had originally thought. Without a second glance back through the window Harry took off for his Tower as fast as he could to get his cloak and his map and his photo album. He couldn't bare the thought of something happening to his most precious items.

As he ran he became aware that the hallways were a bit devoid of noise and he had to wonder where everyone was. He didn't know that the students he had been with a couple minutes before along with the rest of the student population were being evacuated from their teacher's office via floo as fast as they could; nor the skepticism of the teachers that they wouldn't get all of the children out in time. Harry gave the password to his tower and opened it, a gasp escaping him as he realized that no one was here it seemed. He had been running downstairs after grabbing his small pack with his beloved treasures in it from his dorm, when he suddenly stopped dead in his tracks.

He could see from the steps that the lava was at the entrance door, and quite suddenly he could smell it. That alone had him coughing as he struggled to remember the charm Snape of all people had taught them in a potions a few weeks ago. He could see smoke rising on the outside of the window and he suddenly felt extremely alone, but that was nothing how he felt when the lights suddenly went out and all was black.

A scream resounded in the darkness, one that wasn't his own so he had a moment of relief that he wasn't as alone as he thought. Though that relief was short lived as he heard what sounded like grinding noise from Hogwarts herself, he had to wonder how they hadn't seen this coming; when today had been the perfect day.

~*~*~*~*~*~!2:00pm, just after lunch time*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

The day had started fairly normal for October the weather had been mild. If one closed their eyes, it still seemed like it was still summer. The leaves around the castle as colorful as they were made you aware that it was still fall and they still had a few months until winter break. Harry sighed happily as they sat around Hagrid in their Care of Magical creatures class. The half giant was in the middle of lecturing about the Runspoor he had caught earlier that week. Surprisingly the Slytherins hadn't made a single disruptive noise this entire time and Harry had to wonder why. Harry knew that he would probably be called up to the front of the class, because of his ability to speak with the reptiles; so maybe that was it. And really regardless of what everyone else thought of it, he truly liked his ability.

He knew that most of the students were probably jealous, or scared of what it represented but he didn't care. He also knew that Draco Malfoy would kill for this ability, the prat. He shook his head as he focused back on his lesson. The weather was perfect and once more it seemed that his attention was drifting to the sky. He wished they could do another lesson with the Hippogriff but after that stunt Draco pulled, he knew that was next to impossible. Harry shook his head, he only wanted to feel free. It had only been a few days since they had all come back to school. He had been forced to spend his winter holidays with the Durselys.

All because of Sirius Black attempting to get into the Gryffindor house at the beginning of the year. The Headmaster had deemed the Castle unsafe and wanted to up its wards. And apparently the only way to do that was to have all the children gone so their magic wouldn't get in the way. Harry had thought it was a good idea, until he realized that he had to go back to his so called family for a week. Everyone but him had been happy for the impromptu vacation. He sighed as he carefully lifted up his the sleeve on his cloak. He knew that the majority of his classmates were wondering why he was the only one who still had his on. He knew if one of them still had one of theirs on he would look at them crazy as well. The sun was practically beaming on them, and he could feel the sweat on his head as he wiped his brow.

He knew why he couldn't take it off, he had hand shaped bruising all over his arms from where his Uncle had constantly grabbed him in his anger. And he could just imagine the looks of disgust he would get, not to mention some horror if someone were to see. You would have to be blind not to realize what they were and what they were caused by. And he knew that this would probably reach the teachers and he had no plans to let his most kept secret ousted over something stupid.

It seemed that the Durselys hadn't been thrilled with his unfortunate vacation plans and Vernon of course took it out on him. It wasn't like he chose to do it, he was forced too. He sighed once more, wishing for once that someone would look just a little bit closer. He almost let himself get lost in thought before he was shaking his head; and pushing the thoughts away. He couldn't afford to think on that, he knew even though he was a wizard that wishes still had no meaning; especially ones like that. He had just turned back to the lesson when he heard it.

It started off like a low grumbling as if someone was extremely hungry, but then the noise got louder. He looked around his classmates to see that they all quieted and were staring around at one another in silence. Harry found himself standing up as the noise seemed to engulfed them, and then the ground started shaking. His first thought was that this was an earthquake, but he knew somehow that whatever this was; it was bigger then that.

He looked around to see the horror etched on each and every face as they all tried to figure out what the hell was going on around them when they heard this loud hiss. It would have been comical if one had seen it, as every single head turned as one to face the source of the noise. Harry found his mouth dropping open wide as he turned, to see what looked like smoke coming from a mountain not to far from them. He frowned for a moment, looking immediately to Hermione who seemed to be trying to figure out just what the heck was going on as well when he nearly jumped out of his skin.

He had been about to ask her what she thought might be happening when suddenly a loud boom resounded in the air. A few kids screamed, Harry being one of them and years of Dursely training had him hitting the dirt. Which was good in this case actually as rocks seemed to be raining from up above. He instinctively covered his head as he heard more kids screaming as they got hit by them. He was afraid to look up because of the thumps that were coming from the rocks let him know that they weren't small ones like they tended to throw at one another.

"Everyone get out of here! Get up and run!" Hagrid yelled, his voice sound hazy to Harry's ears.

He wasn't fully sure why he couldn't hear as great as he usually could, unaware that the blast had probably popped his eardrums from how close he was too. He scrambled to his feet, looking around in shock as he noticed that he was probably one of the lucky ones. He could see a bloody Neville being levitated by Hermione and he saw a few more students following her lead to pick up their fallen classmates. Harry reached for Ron who seemed to be looking around in the same daze he was before taking his hand and running as fast as they could away from the clearing. He could hear the grumbling sound again, and he knew now that whatever it was, it wasn't good.

Harry was only looking forward, knowing that turning around could mean anything was behind him, and he hated to fall in this situation. His heart was pounding in his chest and stopped for a split second as a second boom sounded the air. He could hear the steady feet behind him so he knew that his classmates were running. He hoped Hagrid had gotten everyone out of there. He could see the castle coming into view but he still didn't slow down, if anything he went faster especially when he smelled it.

It smelled like sulfur and he had a hunch that something was burning somewhere. As soon as he had the thought he the final boom echoed in the air and this time he found himself stopping to look behind them to see what it was. He gasped on his breath as he saw the thick red liquid coming out what he thought was a just a plain ole mountain. He had remembered seeing a documentary on this when he had been in primary school. He even had to build one out of paper mache, and then present it to his class. Of course Dudley had smashed his and he had gotten an F on the assignment but nonetheless he had never forgotten what it was.

"Oh Merlin," he breathed out as he saw the eruption. "This can't be real,"

"What is it Harry?" Ron panted out as he looked at the erupting mountain.

"Don't you know what's happening Ron?" He asked, horror filling his body, like a rush of cold water even more so. If they were this close to it, didn't that put them and everything and everyone else they knew in danger? They had to tell someone about this!

"No I don't, what is it?" Ron asked. He knew what natural disasters were of course, but they weren't covered like they were in the muggle schools, because magical beings tended to have more things to worry about then Mother Nature.

"A Volcano, we have to tell Dumbledore," Harry told him anxiously before he started back running towards the castle.

It took Ron a moment to fully grasp what his mate had just said to him, but when his mind had processed it, he nearly choked on air. "Bloody hell," he breathed under his breath before he took off after Harry. They had to warn everyone, he knew that once the lava decided to move, there would be nothing to stop it, it could and would destroy everything in its path.

 

 

The End.
End Notes:
So what did you guys think?
Chapter 2: A Warning Ignored by Severus Draconis Potter
Author's Notes:
I dont know any First year Gryffindors when Harry was in Third year, but if you do let me know and I'll change it. Thanks soooo much for the reviews guys, they rock.

Harry ran as fast as he could, towards the castle with Ron's footsteps not a second behind him and was rewarded when their efforts had paid off. They ended up in front of the entrance doors. He turned around to see if he could still see the burning mountain, but he couldn't. No matter, they know what they saw. Running inside the castle, he could see Hagrid up ahead, telling everyone who had been outside to head to the infirmary. Harry froze on the inside for a moment, before realizing that he didn't even have a scratch on him so there would be no need for Pomprey to even check on him. Plus he knew he would want to see how his friends and classmates were.

"I hope Neville is okay," Harry panted as they headed up the stairs.

"He is, you know how Madame Pomfrey can be. Harry how are you tired, shouldn't you be used to this running from Quidditch practice?" Ron asked in confusion.

"Ron we just ran for our lives, of course I'm a little winded. Not to mention I still have my cloak on," Harry replied defensively. He kept to himself that the reason he was winded had nothing really to do with the run. The severe bruising on his chest from his Uncle's boot had assured him that he probably had one or two cracked or broken ribs and it hurt to breathe let alone run.

"Sorry Harry, I know my heart is just now starting to slow down," Ron replied apologetically.

"I hope everyone is okay," Harry muttered; changing the subject as they neared the the doors of the infirmary.

"They are, you'll see," Ron promised as they entered the infirmary.

Harry looked around and he could see that despite his earlier concerns that everyone for the most part was calm. Then again it could be to the fact that there was a tray of empty potion's vial in the middle of the room and he had to wonder how many of his peers had a calming draught rushing through their system. He made his way over to Neville's bed to see his dorm mate asleep, with a white bandage over his head.

"He's going to be fine, Mr. Potter, but I need to check on both you and Mr. Weasley. And then I need you both to tell me your version of what happened, because the tales I've been hearing are pretty farfetched," Poppy replied tiredly as she took out her wand.

"Ron can go first, I think some debris might have hit him on our run back," Harry said pushing his best mate forward.

"Oy! No it didn't Harry, I'm fine," Ron replied in disbelief as Harry turned on him like that. He sighed as the matron fussed over him and got him into a bed.

"Survival of the fittest Ron," Harry murmured as he moved back a bit.

As soon as the coast was clear, he was planning on making a break for it. He knew she couldn't see the bruises on his body, she would scan and then she would know. He couldn't stand the disappointed look he would see on the Headmaster's face as Harry was just so sure that he knew what his relatives were doing him. He sighed shaking the horrible thoughts away as he stared at his mate getting fussed over. He was carefully making his way to towards the door, slowly and quietly. He didn't want to disturb anyone and have them rat him out. He had barely opened the door when he found his path blocked off by a familiar pair of black boots.

"Move out of my way Potter," Severus told him in annoyance. He had been called because he had gotten word that his third year Slytherins had gotten hurt in their Care of Magical creatures class. He liked the half Giant, but he didn't think he was fit to be a teacher and this incident along with the one with his Hippogriff proved it.

"Sorry sir, I was just leaving," Harry replied quietly trying to press himself up against the wall. This man in front of him was so unpredictable it seemed. If the man suddenly started ignoring him he had no problems with that and wouldn't question it in the slightest.

Severus's eyes narrowed as he looked at the Gryffindor suspiciously. "And why are you in such a rush to leave the infirmary Potter?" He asked casually, taking the way the small boy turned to look around in hopes that Poppy hadn't heard.

"Because I need to see the Headmaster, and I'm fine," Harry replied still inching his way out the door.

"Oh of course, Prince Potter is now a healer and doesn't need anyone beneath him to look him over," Severus stated sarcastically; attracting the attention of Poppy.

"No its not that. I was not hurt by the falling rocks," Harry replied honestly.

"You're not going anywhere young man, you know that I still have to look you over," Poppy replied briskly as she finished up with Ron.

Harry swallowed thickly as he looked from both the matron and Snape. He couldn't do this, not when he knew the minute she scanned him, his bruises would be on display for Snape to see. The man he knew would use this against him and he couldn't allow it to happen. He didn't see any way that he was getting away from getting checked, so he did the only thing that he could do in that moment. He ran.

Severus swore softly as Potter took off, the insolent brat. He frowned before he found himself taking off after him. If something turned out to be wrong with him that Poppy hadn't had a chance to fix, Albus would have their heads. Never mind if it was the boy's fault, he was only 13 and still a child. He could see the child up ahead slowing down and holding onto his side like it hurt. He had the hunch that Potter thought he had gotten away and probably wasn't faking this injury. He didn't understand if the boy was hurt, why he didn't just let himself get healed. That question sent some flags up in his head. Why the would boy rather hide then get healed? What was so important then his health that he would risk it? He waited until the child had fully stopped before he quickened his own pace. He was nearly too him when he stepped on a rock that seemingly appeared out of nowhere and the noise attracted the attention of the resting child who turned to look at him in horror. Severus reacted quickly as did the boy who quickly took off once more. But he had been expecting it and add to the fact that he was sure the child was hurt, he found himself easily keeping pace with him.

"Potter! Stop it you idiot child," Severus called out.

"Leave me alone!" Harry gasped out, his side throbbing painfully.

Severus frowned as he sped up. "I don't think so," he replied darkly as he grabbed the boy's shoulder who screamed as if he had hurt him. It startled him but not enough to let go; he did however pull him into an empty classroom. Where he had it locked and warded within a few seconds as he stared at the boy who had somehow fallen to the floor and was now curled up into a ball. He was a bit alarmed at the defensive position but he would get his answers sooner or later.

"Stand up Potter, I'm not going to hurt you," Severus told him firmly.

Harry quickly got to his feet at the tone, his body tensed as if he was prepared for flight. The only problem was that he had nowhere to run as Snape had warded the door.

"Care to explain why you are running away from being healed? Do you like being hurt? Did you think it would gain you a few sympathy cards?" Severus asked quietly as he leaned against the old desk. He crossed his arms threateningly as he stared at the boy.

Harry was terrified, nothing could compare he didn't think. Not the fact that he still hadn't told anyone what he and Ron had seen, nor when the Basilisk had been about to kill him last year. He was beyond freaked out, because he was sure that no one even realized where he was. Except for Poppy and she was only worried that he had been hurt some how.

"You better answer me Potter, or I'll make you," Severus warned him quietly.

"I'm not hurt sir," Harry lied weakly.

"So the little stunt where you were holding your side when you thought no one was watching you was for naught? Who do you take me for boy? I know you are hurt, and since you don't want Poppy to see for some odd reason I will see for myself," Severus told him as he pointed his wand to him.

Harry shut his eyes, knowing what was coming. Though he figured that Snape might hurt him if anything else, so he was surprised when he opened it to find the man looking at him with a bewildered expression on his face. Harry turned to see a parchment appear out of thin air writing whatever Snape was doing. The blood drained from his face as he became aware of just what scan the man had done and he quickly sat up.

"I can explain, I fell. And then the rocks landed one me," Harry lied quickly.

"Hush, Potter I know you are lying to me. These injures are about a week old, now I have a question and you will tell me the truth. Who did this too you?" Severus asked tightly. He didn't tolerate abuse and though he itching to see the extent of the boy's injuries, he knew how Potter was. Hell he knew how he was. It also didn't help that his perceptions on the child in front of him were changing quite rapidly and he wasn't sure how he felt about them.

"No one, I fell like I said," Harry repeated insistently.

Severus narrowed his eyes as he took in the fearful stance of the child across from him. Just to prove a small theory he took a step towards the child only to see him unconsciously take a step back. He continued to do it, until the boy was backed up against the wall.

"Sir, what are you doing?" Harry asked fearfully, the wall was digging painfully into his back from how hard he had himself pressed against it..

Severus didn't reply as he lifted up his hand to run through his hair. He was rewarded when Potter violently flinched back, knocking his head on the wall. He sighed as he looked at the terrified child in front of him.

"Take off your cloak," he told him quietly.

"Why?" Harry asked in a horrified tone.

"I need to see your injuries," Severus told him curtly.

"No you don't, you did a scan," Harry pointed out softly.

"The scan shows me what's ailing you but not how severe it is," Severus explained matter of factly.

Harry sighed as he stared at his Professor, knowing that he wasn't getting out of this. Well no matter he didn't have to talk about it. His teacher could make his assumptions but he would neither deny nor accept what he was asked. He was not about to spill this horrible secret to Snape a slimy Slytherin of all things. He took a breath before he tugged off his cloak, letting it fall to the floor. He could see himself in the room that the bruising was rather dark on his pale skin, and would have gotten lost in thought if he hadn't heard a sudden intake of breath. He flinched suddenly as Snape carefully grabbed his arm.

"What are you doing?" Harry breathed out, his eyes never leaving the pale hand of his potion's masters.

"Trying to see something," Severus replied as he wrapped his hands around the child's arm. He could see the pattern matched his almost, only the print was a bit bigger and rounder and he frowned. He didn't like this one bit, and the fact that someone had dared to do hurt Lily's son was too much for him.

"What are you trying to see?" Harry asked, a bit of curiosity in his tone, despite their current subject.

"Just what I thought, its a male," Severus said speaking quietly to himself.

"What's a male?" Harry asked, his heart beating painfully fast as he tried to process what the hell had just happened.

"Your abuser," Severus stated calmly.

"I'm, I'm not abused," Harry repeated softly, suddenly feeling sick to his stomach.

"You are," he replied quietly.

Harry swallowed thickly. "You can't prove anything," he said unknowingly proving everything that his teacher had stated as true.

"You live with your Aunt and Uncle, so I'm going to assume that your Uncle is the one who did this too you. Unless you tell me otherwise," Severus continued as if Harry hadn't spoke. He did move to give the boy a bit of room as he paced for a moment.

Harry gasped quietly as he stared at the man unseeingly. What was going on? Was this really Snape? He turned away from the man who was now standing back to standing by the desk. If the man thought that he was just going to confess his darkest secret to him he had another thing coming. He knew that Snape would use this as ammo against him in the future. He turned to look at the window trying to distract himself when he nearly choked on another breath of air.

He could see the mountain earlier that he and Ron had assumed to be a volcano and from this angle he saw that the lava was starting to pour out from the sides. He wasn't really worried as they were inside the castle and he figured the wards and protective measure would protect the students. He sighed as he rested his head against the window pane tiredly, he didn't have much fight left in him and all he wanted to do was rest. Harry turned around to face his teacher only to find the man looking out the window with a pensive expression.

"What is it sir?" Harry asked after a moment had gone by and Snape had yet to speak.

"What do you see outside the window Potter?" Severus asked instead just to make sure his eyes weren't playing tricks on him.

"A volcano with lava pouring out the sides. But we have nothing to worry about because Hogwarts is safe right?" The third year asked softly, he needed his fears abated for the moment, as he looked at his teacher for conformation.

"Yes that's right. But regardless, I don't want to catch you outside at all today. It's not safe, I'm not sure its actually safe where we are now. I have to get to Albus immediately," Severus replied, though towards the end it was clear to Harry that the man was talking to himself once more. He knew himself that Hogwarts was protected against magical means, but he wasn't sure about anything natural. Mainly because incidents like these were so few in between in the wizarding world, unlike the muggle one.

Harry sighed, but he wasn't stupid he didn't want to get burned. He was planning on staying inside as well. "Yes sir," he answered just to show that he was listening.

"Go back to the infirmary, make no mistake that I will find out if you don't," Severus warned him as he made his way towards the door. "We will discuss my findings about your home life at a later time. I will get to the bottom of this Potter, make no mistake about that."

Harry swallowed as he stared at the potion's master. He was just going to have to risk the man's ire, though truthfully he hoped that Snape would be to busy to remember what he was supposed to do. Because the truth of the matter was he wasn't going back to that sterile place, if anything he was going to his tower to try to get a bit rest in. He didn't have to worry about telling the Headmaster since he was sure that Snape would do it for him.

~*~*~*Gryffindor Tower 5:30pm~*~*~*~*~

Harry pulled out his wand quickly after tightening the straps on his backpack. He didn't want to even risk his pack coming loose or something. He looked around in the dark for a moment before he got his terrified brain to work.

"L-l-lumos," he whispered out softly, his voice shaking in his fear. He was relieved when the wand lit up, gaining him a bit of light around his common room. He walked slowly, having heard the scream coming from the girl's side of the room. "Is anyone there?" He asked, unconsciously raising his voice so they could hear him. He held his breath so he could hear them, the pounding of his heart feeling extremely loud in the empty room.

"Yes I'm here," a timid voice replied.

"Where are you?" Harry replied looking around slowly.

"Here," she replied as she stood up from where she had been hidden behind the one of the couches.

Harry walked towards her, his wand illuminating enough so he could see if he recognized who she was. He knew of her, but had never hung out with her. I mean why would he? The girl who he remembered to be Amanda Flint had garnered a lot of grief for being in Gryffindor Tower instead of in Slytherin with her older brother. Harry hadn't really cared, as she was nothing like her troll looking Marcus. Not to mention she was a first year; and hadn't had many opportunities to talk with her.

"What were you doing?" Harry asked her curiously.

"Hiding, I was scared. Hogwarts has been making weird noises for the past hour or so," she admitted shyly as she looked at the boy next to her. She wasn't dense; she knew exactly who he was. Personally she steered clear of him and his friends, but right now she was glad that it was Harry who had found her. He always seemed like he was a nice person, and already she wasn't feeling so alone.

"That's because something's wrong," Harry replied carefully as he looked at her to gauge her reaction. The last thing he needed was a hysterical girl on his hands because he didn't think he would be able to keep himself calm either. He held his hand out to her silently, and was grateful when she grabbed it without question.

"We need to get out of here," he told her softly. Something had changed in the atmosphere and he felt like speaking too loudly could cause problems in the long run so why risk themselves.

"And go where? Won't it be safer up here, then outside?" Amanda asked fearfully.

"I don't think so, we need to find a Professor first," Harry told her truthfully. He didn't want to admit to her that he had no intention of going outside. At this point he wasn't about to admit even to himself that he felt that Snape scared him more then the Lava did. After making sure that she could preform the Lumos charm, they slowly made their way out of their Tower and into the dark corridors. As they headed down the steps they had no idea that the Lava was starting to make its way up.

The End.
Chapter 3: Hogwarts will protect us right? by Severus Draconis Potter
Author's Notes:
I had to change the rating, because I realized that no matter how you look at it, casualites are apart of Natural Disasters. Please dont ask me about them, as they have more or less been written. I was a bit dismayed to see all those views but only a couple of reviews, so I dont even want to update this one, but I will.

I know that there isnt alot of Harry/Snape moment this chapter but it will come I believe in the next chapter or so I just have to get everything into place.
Severus strode from the room as if he was on a mission, because in all honesty he was. He was still thinking about what he had just seen, what the mountain had turned into. He knew logically that a mountain didn't just turn into a volcano and though he wanted to doubt that Potter was lying, he just couldn't. He knew with his own eyes what he had seen. Like Harry, he had seen a muggle program on Volcano's when he was a child, and the consequences of ignoring one could be devastating. He wasn't sure how far the lava would flow, nor how long it would last.

He knew besides the burning liquid, that they had the gas to watch for. Just breathing it in could be deadly. He took a look out the window that he passed, and he could see smoke rising in the air from where the mountain was. He shook his head as he hurried to the Headmaster's office, knowing the man had to be aware of this. He knew they needed to take protective measures, like getting the students out of here and to safety.

That was one thing he hadn't been able to reassure Potter about. He didn't think that the wards around the castle, protected against anything that mother nature could throw at them. It wasn't stupidity or neglect, it was just these kinds of things just don't happen here. Especially since they were all focused on the dementors and Sirius Black and Voldemort for a little thing like nature to stand in their way.

He found himself in front of the Headmaster's office, unsure how he got here so fast but nonetheless grateful as he stood there trying to remember the man's bloody password. He wasn't even trying to guess, there would be no point there was just to many sweets in the world. He swallowed before giving the password that Albus had given to each teacher only to be used in an emergency which is what this was. The guardian moved and he stepped on the moving staircase and hurried up it. Before he could knock he was being told to enter it, which he did, but he was too keyed up to take a seat.

"What is it Severus? Is it one of the children?" Albus asked immediately when he took in the expression the Potion's master face.

"No everyone is fine for the most part. The third year Care of Magical Creature's Class had an incident in class today," he told him swiftly.

"Oh, what happened this time?" Albus asked tiredly.

"Nothing of Hagrid's fault I can assure you. There were rocks, raining down on the children. A few were hit but all of them have gone to the infirmary to be patched up," Severus explained.

"What caused that? Do you know?" Albus asked frowning as he looked at his window. He could see a smoke cloud rising just pass the forest and wondered on earth what it was.

"I have a theory, but I'm do not know for sure. Which is why I am reluctant to tell you," Severus replied carefully.

Albus waited patiently for Severus to gather his thoughts together. Inwardly though he was getting worried, because the man had never been this flustered about anything. Severus was a man that was always put together no matter what. It took something big for him to become unhinged. The fact that it apparently had to do with Hogwarts had him worried, not for his sake but of his students.

~*~*~*Abandoned Classroom 1:30pm~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Harry hadn't made it back to his tower, he simply had conjured a blanket from a piece of paper and after doing the same to a quill to make a pillow he had laid down on the floor behind the desk. He knew if he went back to the Tower that Ron would be yelling at him for throwing him to Poppy and he was just so tired and sore. He didn't want to deal with anything but sleep for right now. He knew he wouldn't be bothered and he wasn't worried about the volcano since Snape was going to tell the Headmaster which is why he soon succumbed to his exhaustion and fell asleep.

~*~*~*~*~*Dumbledore's Office 3:00pm~*~*~*~*~*~*

By the time Severus had finished telling the old man all he knew he was feeling pretty exhausted and found to his shock that 2 hours had gone by. He frowned as he looked at the clock on the man's desk. It read 3:00pm, but looking outside, you would think it was around 6:00pm with the way the sky had darkened with the smoke. He stood up quickly, and out of curiosity and a bit of stupidity (which he refused to even admit to himself) had him opening one of Albus's windows and stuck his head out. The strong smell of the burning gas had his eyes burning within seconds, and him choking before he could think. He could feel Albus pulling him back into the office and shutting the window loudly.

"We have to get the children out of here," Severus gasped out before reaching for the glass of water that had appeared next to him.

"I know, Hogwarts wasn't designed to protect us against this. I'm afraid that the castle won't stand a chance if the lava reaches us," Albus told him quietly.

"What do you mean if, I think the question is when," Severus told him hoarsely before he sipped his water. "We need to keep calm, and tell the other teachers first. We don't want the student's panicking," he replied remembering Potter's expression when he had revealed what he thought it to be. He shook the thought away, wondering why he kept thinking of the child. All he knew was that the boy had better have visited Poppy. With the way the situation was going, they were all going to need to be in full strength. This was something big, and he didn't want to lose anyone.

"I'll start alerting the teachers, whoever is in their classroom or offices. If you see anyone on your way, you know what to do," Albus told him as he hurried over to the fireplace.

Severus nodded before he left the man's office, to warn his fellow teachers of the impending danger. He still wasn't sure how much time was left, but he had the sense to know that it wouldn't be long. And the safest place for them all to be was far away from here as possible.

~*~*~*~*3:30pm~*~*~*~*~*~*

Harry wasn't sure when he awoke up, until he heard his stomach growling quite loudly and then he knew. It wasn't unusual as he had skipped lunch earlier; he had still been full from his small breakfast. It always took him a good month or so to get used to having normal portions sizes of food. Since at the Durselys, he barely got enough to live off of. He knew it was a bit early for dinner but he also knew that if he saw one of the twins they would get a snack for him. He stretched and looked out the window, before quickly checking his watch. He couldn't understand why it looked so dark when it wasn't even close too 5'clock yet.

He shook the sleepiness off of him, hoping he wouldn't get in trouble for missing a class. He made his way out the abandoned classroom and walked through the halls. He double checked that his cloak was securely on him as he found himself following the students that all seemed to be going to the Great Hall. As he entered it he could see that dinner was ready and he frowned. Maybe everyone else was confused too. He wasn't about to ask though, and quickly found his seat next to Ron who was stuffing his face.

"Hey Ron," Harry murmured as he looked around at the assortment of food on the table.

"Harry, where have you been?" Hermione said from where she was looking at him in concern.

"I was around," Harry said carefully.

"Around where? No one's seen you since class. We thought something had happened to you," Hermione told him worriedly.

"Oh, sorry. I went to the infirmary and then I was tired so I took a nap," Harry told him them honestly.

"Did he ever? I've never seen Madame Pomprey that angry. Not to mention Snape, the way he took after you Harry, I thought he was going to kill you," Ron exclaimed.

"What happened? Why was Snape chasing Harry?" Hermione asked wide eyed as she looked at her friends.

Harry shrugged embarrassingly, he didn't want to get into this. "Uhm, look the Headmaster is about to get up," he said hurriedly as indeed the old man was standing as if preparing to say something.

As he knew she would, Hermione along with everyone at their table turned to look towards the head table as the Headmaster stood up.

"Attention students, I know some of you are wondering about what is going on. And just why we are eating so early, which I will explain to you in a moment. I just need you all not to panic because Hogwarts has always been the safest place in the magical world and I will do everything in my power to make sure that it stays that way," Albus told him carefully.

Harry stiffened as he looked at his peers all around them, everyone had started talking the minute the man stood up, but then they had silenced when they heard the weight of his words. The funny part was they didn't even know what was wrong. He shook his head as he looked at Ron before he turned back towards the front.


"In the past few hours, I have been getting reports about a mountain a few kilometers from here, that isn't what its supposed to be. In other words an active Volcano. I don't think I need to explain to anyone what this is, and if you truly do not know then ask someone in your house and I'm sure they will tell you," Albus replied gravely.

"What the headmaster is trying to tell you, is that there is no need to panic. Because as long as you stay inside the castle walls, nothing can harm you," Severus said in his quiet voice. There was no need to raise his voice as the Great hall had completely gone silent.

"There is no need to panic, but if anyone feels like they cannot handle it just make your way to the infirmary," Poppy said as she too stood up and did a small look around the Great hall as a few students actually stood up. She nodded to her colleagues before she headed towards them, gesturing for them to follow her.

Harry, along with nearly everyone else watched her and those students leave out the Great Hall before returning their gazes to the Headmaster. He could see the worry in those twinkling blue eyes from where he was sitting, and that had him frowning. But that was nothing compared to when his eyes and Snape's connected. He had the sudden thought about him not visiting the infirmary, and what the man had in store for him if he found out.

Harry swallowed thickly, as the minute that thought had crossed his mind, his potion's master's eyes narrowed as if he had read his very mind. He was unable to break eye contact for a moment as the dark gaze bore into his emerald ones. He was only released from the compelling gaze when the man crooked his finger, in the universal signal for 'come here'. But Harry was doing anything but, he looked at his barely eaten food before grabbing two apples and standing up.

"Harry where are you going?" Ron asked, looking at his mate in surprise as he stood up.

"I need to go to the infirmary, remember I didn't get to see Madame Pomprey?" Harry told him, even though he had no intention of going.

"Oh yeah, if I were you I'd hurry, she was a right state when you ran out," Ron told him, before shuddering at the remembrance. It wasn't even he the Matron had been annoyed at but his blistering ears along with who ever else was still awake and coherent had heard it.

Harry grimaced before he nodded, tucking the two apples into his cloak pocket he hurried out the Great Hall, very much aware of the penetrating gaze on his back. His plan was to stay as far away from Snape as possible. He headed up the stairs, wanting to see if he could see the volcano again as he was sure since the Headmaster had said it he had nothing to worry about. But as Harry along with everyone in school would find out; that just because one man said one thing, didn't make it right. Especially when it came to Mother Nature.

Back in the Great Hall, Severus was silently seething, how dare that insolent obey his direct order. And then the little brat had the gall to run out of the hall when he had explicitly beckoned him to come to the front. The minute he saw that Potter brat, he would take him to the infirmary himself, but for the moment he needed to reassure his Slytherins who were looking up to him that everything was okay. He stood up and walked over to his snakes to find every single eye looking up at him.

After spelling a privacy charm as he what he had to say to his snakes was between them and him and no one else. He didn't need them getting embarrassed if they forgot themselves, as he was reluctant to return them to their quarters. Slytherin Tower was in the Dungeons so if the lava made its way back Hogwarts gates, his snakes would have the least chance of survival unless they were all ready to fly themselves out and he wouldn't jeopardize their life.

"I know some of you are hoping what the Headmaster had to say was a joke, but I can promise you that I have seen the volcano with my own eyes. And I know you snakes won't doubt my words as I have never lied to you. If you wish to go home, you can come with me to my office and you can floo from there," Severus told them.

"Professor, won't Hogwarts protect us from it?" Draco Malfoy asked softly, unaware that Harry Potter himself had voiced that same question a few hours ago.

Severus believed in telling his snakes the truth, and as he had just spoken he had never lied to them. They didn't take too kindly to being lied too as they were already distrustful when they came to school. He had gained their trust, and he didn't want to lose it. But on the other he didn't want to frighten his younger years, as he could see his first and second and third years tremble a bit in their seats. He was so happy once more that he didn't have to explain this to the Hufflepuffs as they were already crying. He shook the thought away as he thought how to answer the boys' question.

"I can't know for sure, Hogwarts is a magical castle and it protects us from magical things that wish to hurt us. I don't think when the wards were created that they added ones that will protect us against Natural things. I could ask the Headmaster to be certain, but as Hogwarts has been known to surprise us, I cannot say," he replied carefully.

He could see his snakes break apart his words, as if trying to find the underlying message, but this time there wasn't any. He sighed as quite a few of his older years stood up, wanting to go home. They understood the gravity of the situation. He nodded to them, telling them to wait by his office door and he would be there in a bit. He noted absently that one of his 7th years hesitated a bit as he got out of his seat like he wanted to leave but something was stopping him.

"Marcus what is it?" He asked, as they were still under the privacy charm; which didn't dispel until you had cleared the Slytherin table. Not that it really mattered as every table in there had their own silencing charm around them as well.
"My sister Amanda, she's a first year. I want her to come home too, my mum would kill me if something happened to her," Marcus told him honestly as he looked to the Gryffindor table. He looked down and towards the first years trying to spot the girl.

Severus nodded, he understood that as, Marcus wasn't the only one who was getting their younger sibling out of here. "You can go get her, Minerva won't mind," Severus told him.

"She's not there," Marcus told him quietly, feeling a bit worried. "What if she went outside?" He asked, panicking a bit inside.

"Relax Marcus, she doesn't have an outside class today and she knows first years aren't allowed outside alone. If anything she probably took a nap," Severus told him quietly. "Calm yourself,"

Marcus nodded before baring his teeth as he looked at the Weasely twins. He glared at them angrily before turning back to his teacher., he had heard from his first year Slytherins that they had been playing pranks on his sister and he hadn't appreciated it. But he had also heard from Draco, who heard from Ron Weasely that the twins had actually stopped the pranks against her, as they refused to witness blatant bullying of a firsty who had yet to do anything. Honestly he didn't know what to believe, and he didn't care, just as long as she wasn't being hurt anymore.

"Will you find her for me, and then send her home?" He asked, his self preservation instinct kicking in. He was the heir to the Flint house, and if something happened to him his father would find him beyond the grave and kill him again.

"You know I will," Severus told him before turning to address the rest of his table.

Marcus nodded as he walked out of the Great Hall, unaware of what was unfolding how his little sister was going to end up smack in the middle of it. He had no idea the danger that was starting to unfold nor how his life and everyone else's would change as well.

Severus sighed as most of his 5th, 6th, and 7th years all walked out of the hall. He had hoped the younger ones had followed suit. Well if he was being honest with himself, the half-bloods and the few on the low muggleborn students had also left. Turning to look around the Great hall, he could see that the remaining students were either pure-bloods, or half-bloods who hadn't grown up in the muggle world. He sighed but this was better then none of them leaving. He looked at his students, preparing for their protests even before he said it.

"Okay listen up snakes, this is extremely important that you pay attention to every word that I am saying," Severus started off. He could see every eye on him once more and he quickly got to the point of no one being allowed in the tower. He winced at the loud voices of protest, but a stern glare was enough to shut them all up. He gestured to Draco who looked like he was going to choke on the one word that they all wanted to voice,

"Why can't we?" Draco asked in a shocked tone.

"Because if the Lava somehow gets in, it will destroy everything in its path. And before it makes it way to the second level of the school it will demolish the first. Our tower is located in the Dungeons, one of the lower parts of the castle, I don't need to explain to you how dangerous that position makes us. In short, we would be sitting ducks," Severus replied.

"But what about all of our things?" Pansy Parkinson exclaimed, clearly distraught over losing her valuables. As materialistic as she was about things, she did currently have a point.

"As soon as you finish eating, you will be allowed to go back to the common room and your dorms to get whatever you want to bring with you. But after that I am sealing it so no one can return until I can be sure that it is completely safe," Severus finished.

He could see that while they didn't like the plan, they weren't protesting anymore. He could also see that the majority of his table was already getting up and making their way out of the door. He canceled the spell before he headed out himself, going to his office so he could get his students that wanted to go home out. He had no idea that a couple of his snakes would ignore his warning, and place themselves along with every other teacher there in danger as they tried to get them out.

~*~*~*~*Corridors 5:40pm~*~*~*~

Harry held Amanda's hand tightly, not wanting to get separated from the only other person. They didn't know really what to say, and the past 5 minutes or so had been awkward to say the least. At least it was until Amanda had told a joke that Harry hadn't heard since primary school and they both broke out into giggles. Now they were chatting despite their horrible circumstances, and their conversation was taking their mind off of their current situation. Harry couldn't see anyone in their portraits, and he shuddered, unsure of what that might mean. He felt Amanda squeeze his hand comfortably and he relaxed slightly. He unlike her really knew his way around, so in the dark was no problem.

They stopped as one suddenly when they felt rather then heard Hogwarts groaning. As they inched their way towards the next set of stairs, Harry could swear he heard faint screaming coming from below. Something in him, was telling him to continue to go up. He had seen the lava, but he had remembered that if you felt scared or just off to go to the infirmary, and that was on the second floor. They had to go down, regardless of how he felt on the inside. He swallowed before turning his gaze to Amanda.

"You ready?" He whispered.

"Yeah," she replied softly as she swallowed a tearful lump in her throat. All she want was her big brother, as she had never felt this scared in her life before. Amanda had always been protected by Marcus, as she was constantly called their little miracle baby. Her mother had been told after having her big brother that she wouldn't be able to have children, even with the aid of potions but then she came along. Everyone spoiled her, especially her daddy, and all she wanted right now was to be at home in his arms.

"It'll be alright," Harry told her quietly.

"How do you know?" Amanda mumbled, trying to keep from crying. Up until she had exited the Tower, she hadn't yet fully grasped the severity of the situation. But from their point on the top of the stairs, she could smell something burning; and the smell was making her stomach turn. They didn't know that the smell wasn't just the lava but also of burning flesh, a smell they never wanted to breath.

"I don't, but I'm hoping that it will be," Harry said trying but failing to be optimistic.

"I want my brother," she sniffled out.

"Shh, and we'll find him, just please don't cry," Harry pleaded, his calm facade starting to crack as she started to lose it.

Amanda nodded, her shiny brown eyes could see the panic in his emerald ones, and she didn't want him losing it as she was following him. "I'm okay, I'm okay Harry," she told him tearfully.

"Okay," Harry said after a moment as they continued down the next set of steps. He didn't complain about the tight grip she had on his hand, because he was pretty sure he was squeezing hers just as tight.

~*~*~The Infirmary 4:00pm~*~*~*~*~*~

Poppy led the students to her domain, not noticing until she got there, that she had gain a bit more students on her way. She had each one in a bed, with a calming potion in their system. She still have a few of the Third years from Harry's class earlier, but they were still sleeping. As the infirmary quieted, as the children rested she went over to the entrance to it and touched it with her palm. Though she didn't know if Hogwarts itself was protected from Natural elements, she knew for a fact that her infirmary was.

This was the most sacred place of any business, or school, and it had to be protected. The wards around it activated the minute she placed her wand and her hand against the wall. She could literally see the magic moving across the walls and the entire area of the hospital wing. Whatever it was that was going on, they would be protected. Her and her students wouldn't get hurt. She wasn't sure honestly what was going to happen but for the time being it didn't matter. After telling the woke students to play quietly she disappeared into her office, wanting to make sure that if something were to happen that she would be prepared for it, making sure that all of her burn salves and potions were upfront, with an unbreakable charm on them.

 

 

The End.
End Notes:
Just in case you guys missed it, this is set in Harry's third year.
Chapter 4: Who will Save the Children? by Severus Draconis Potter
Author's Notes:
*Squeals* I was extremely excited about how many reviews I got last chapter so heres the next update!

Alright some of you have said its a bit confusing, its supposed to be, because everything is Chaotic. Okay i lied the Snape/Harry action starts next chapter.

~*~*~*~Snape's Office 4:30~*~*~*~*~*~

Severus took a seat on his chair, as his last Slytherin flooed home. His floo powder canister was still half full, so he knew he would have enough(hopefully) for his remaining Slytherins. He had wished that all of them had chosen to go home, but of course they hadn't. He knew he couldn't legally take them out of school without their parents explicit permission and that was impossible in such a short time. He shook his head, knowing he didn't have time to rest. The lava he had seen, not to mention the air he had breathed outside, had told him that it was coming and there was no stopping it. He shook his head, as he finally stood up and made his way of of his office. He hurried to the Slytherin common room. He walked in and looked around to find most of his Slytherins ready and packed and looking at him with a stoic expression.

"You are free to go anywhere but outside and back to the Common room. I would suggest however, that you head upstairs as high as you can in any case. I don't know what today has in store for us, but it would make me worry less if my snakes were out of harms away," Severus told them honestly. With a chorus of yes sir's he watched them leave, making his way towards the fireplace. As the common room emptied out, he started making his way up the stairs and into the dorms. He felt that he needed to be thorough, he would never forgive himself if one of his snakes got sealed in here because of his negligence. Not to mention depending how the situation went, their life would surely be in danger.

As he started on the first year girl's side, he had no idea what his third years were planning. He checked every closed curtain and under each and every bed, in each and every wardrobe and every stall. And then after that, he did a magical scan just to make sure that no one was hiding before he deemed it done and walked out and did the next year. Surprisingly it didn't take him that long before he finished all dorms on the girls side and he made his way to the boy's. He found a few stragglers in the 2nd year boy's dorm, but none on the third or forth.

He thought he heard voices as he made his way up but when he did he scan each time, nothing had came up. He didn't think to check the 7th year trunks, he didn't think there was a need. As all of his 7th years had gone, he didn't stop to think that someone would hide in the secret compartment in one of the trunks. He knew that Adrian Pucey, his Slytherin Seeker had a room compartment in his trunk, because his home life situation wasn't the best. Severus didn't think that a few of his thirds years would know that, though he should have as Pucey's younger brother was a third year who had been sent home.

As he gave the 7th years a final sweep, he walked out of the room and down to the common room, doing a thorough check he walked through the portrait, and nearly bumped straight into Draco who looked to be coming in. He raised an eyebrow at the boy's deer caught in the headlights look.

"Professor!" Draco squeaked, his heart thudding painfully in his chest. He looked up at the man dark gaze before looking at his feet. It was always safer to look down then up, as Snape had a knack for catching liars.

"Draco I do hope you have gotten all that you wanted, as I am sealing the doors now," Severus told him firmly.

Draco nodded instinctively, as he looked at the man fearfully. He knew this was not a man to mess with, but he figured he would be able to still get into his common room. He knew now that Snape hadn't been able to find his friends so his plan to hide in the trunk had worked! The only crummy part was he was supposed to be in there! He didn't believe the batty old man about the Volcano and he was a bit embarrassed that his Head of house did. Draco had no intention of spending time in the company of the lions or any other house. He was most comfortable in his dorm, so that was naturally where he wanted to be. Besides it wasn't fair that the other houses got to stay in their common rooms and the snakes couldn't. What a load of crap!

"Is there something else you needed or forgot to get?" Severus asked, as he was trying to determine why Draco was looking so pale like he did.

"No sir," Draco replied softly.

He wanted to tell the man what was going on, but he knew his friends would never forgive him if he sold them out like that. So Draco watched him with dismay as the man preformed a complicated spell, one that made his heart nearly stopped beating. He could see the satisfied expression on the man's face after preforming it; and Draco knew he had no hope of ever breaking it. Snape was his father's go to man for a reason.

"There, we should get out of here," Severus told him as he tucked his wand away. He didn't think anything was wrong; and really why should there be? He didn't know what his students had done, and the danger they had unknowingly placed themselves in.

Draco nodded silently as he followed the man out of the Dungeons. He continued to walk towards the Great Hall, as Snape made a detour to his office. He was planning on going back to see if there was a crack in his Professor's spell so he could get back in, as he was sure that his friends were having the time of their lives, while he was stuck out here.

~*~*~*McGonagall's Office 5:35pm~*~*~*

Ron was standing towards the back with his brother's as they watched their Professor placing 3-4 students in the floo together and tossing the right amount of powder in. He wasn't sure just where they were going but, but he knew that anyplace was better then here. As he looked around; he could see an assortment of colors, every house was in here, and they were all terrified. The third year shook as he remembered seeing the boy being burned alive. He had wanted to look away but he hadn't been able to and had witnessed the horror of it all, and now he couldn't get it out of his head.

His trembling attracted the concerned gazes of his older brothers whose faces were devoid of their usual mischievous grins. It was quite disconcerting to see the twins, looking serious as they did. Then again a situation like the one they were currently in could turn anyone. They all knew that there was nothing funny about what was going on. Not to mention Percy, being the Head boy had gone with the teachers to search for some students and they had jokingly told him not to come back. At least they had until they lava burned down the entrance doors and then they realized the extent of the danger they were all in. Ron was worried as he hadn't seen Harry in a while, one minute he had been next to him looking at the window and when Ron had looked back his friend was gone!

He couldn't understand just where his mate was but he was uneasy about the whole thing. Especially since this morning he had just seen the bruises on his back when they had been changing. He had pretended that he hadn't seen anything but he had and he was extremely distressed at what he had seen on his mate's body. He hugged his torso area for a moment, trying to get his shaking under control.

"Relax Ronnie, we'll be home in just a moment, everything is fine," Fred soothed as he looked at his younger brother closely.

"M'okay, just worried about Harry," Ron admitted softly as he stared at the ground. He didn't even mind the pet name at the moment, it actually made him feel a little bit better. He could Luna getting shoved into the fireplac, and he had to wonder when did she get up here before he saw Hermione next to her before they disappeared into the flames. Well at least those two were safe, and he figured that Ginny was as well, even though he hadnt see her.

He was unaware of the look that passed between his twin brother's as they looked around suddenly, as if realizing the raven haired boy wasn't there. They frowned before George or was it Fred bent down to his brother's level. "Stay here Ronnie," he told him seriously as he ruffled his hair.

"Why where are you going?" Ron asked, his eyes wide in his fear.

"To make sure Percy doesn't do something stupid as mum would never forgive us," Fred replied softly as they made their way quietly towards the door.

"I wanna come, don't leave me," Ron pleaded, tears springing into his eyes without his permission. He couldn't help the sudden ache he got in his chest;like he was going to lose something dear. He didn't want his brothers to risk themselves, he just couldn't bear it if something happened to one of them. He followed them towards the door, pressing against his brother's body.

"No Ronnie, mum would kill us if something happened to you," Fred told him gently as leaned down and pressed a soft kiss into his brother's hair. He didn't know what compelled him to do it, but it just felt right.

Ron sniffled, not even bothered by it as his fingers gripped, one of the twin's shirt. He bit down hard on his lip as the tears fell without his permission. "Don't leave me," he begged tearfully. He wasn't even ashamed of himself in that moment, as he needed them to stay. It physically hurt inside at the thought of them going.

"We'll come back Ronnie, I promise," George told him as he gently pried his brother's hands off of his shirt. "Don't fret, we'll be home in no time," he said before they silently disappeared out the door.

Ron stood there staring at the barely closed door for a few minutes after they left, unwilling to believe that they had actually left him here alone. He had never felt more hurt then he did right now, wanting to hurt them as well. He turned back towards his Head of house, who was once more putting a small group into the fireplace. She wasn't paying any attention to what was going on by the door. He took a deep breath before he walked out of the office, shutting it tight behind him.

He swiped his tearful face angrily, clearly he didn't mean crap to his brothers as they had left him there alone. He wouldn't stay there, he would find Harry and they would leave. Ron wiped his dripping nose on the sleeve of his shirt before he took off towards Great Hall, hoping that Harry would be there; as he didn't honestly believe the boy had gone to the infirmary. If he didn't find him in the Great Hall, he would check there however. And if he we wasn't there, Ron would just go up and hope that he found his mate; but he wasn't going to stop searching for him, not until he found him.

~*~*~*Stairwells 6:00pm~*~*~*~

Harry was panting as they quickly went down, part of it was because of how fast they were running down the steps, the other was because the heat was rising. He turned towards Amanda who looked just as bad as he felt. Her face was sweaty and red and she was breathing a bit funny. He wanted to slow down but he knew that would be a bad idea. He held tight to her hand, their sweat mixing and making one anther's hands a bit slippery; but they were afraid of letting go.

As they made it halfway down the staircase that would descend onto the 2nd floor Amanda suddenly started coughing. Harry turned to ask her what was wrong, until he found to his horror that he was having a cough attack too. He had to close his eyes suddenly as he they started burning, stopping their movement so they didn't tumble down the steps.

"I..can't...breathe!" She gasped out, the air was putrid. The gas was thick, if one could open their eyes a bit, they could literally say they could see it. And it was hot, it was like drowning on dry land, as the air was suffocating.

"We should go back up," Harry choked out, trying to open his eyes so they could turn around.

He didn't see Amanda's nod but he felt her hand squeeze his which let him know that they were on the same page. As he slowly turned, his resisted the urge to rub his watery eyes, knowing that would make it worse. They started making their way up back up the steps as quickly as they could when Harry felt the first step crumble under his feet. He nearly fell through, but he managed it and touched the next one only to find Amanda falling through it.

"Harry!" She screamed, a terrified sound that had the boy's heart stop for a moment.

It seemed like time was slowing down as she saw herself fall, but Harry's grip never wavered on her hand, even as he pulled her up. Her heart was thudding painfully in her chest as they ran up the steps, she didn't look back as she could feel the steps they had just been on falling to the ground. They had almost made it to the top one when she fell through again, only this time the grip on her hand was more sweaty then before, and it didn't feel as tight.

"Hold on Mandy!" Harry yelled down to her, as he had made it on the top step and was safe for the most part. He was on solid ground. He could see the staircase falling but what had his eye balls nearly falling out of his sockets was the bright red lava that was making its way under her. It had completely covered the first floor, and he hoped to whoever was up above that everyone had made it out of there.

"Ow! Its burning me!" She screamed painfully, as just being over it had the effect of feeling like she was being burnt, and she was. Her shoes was starting to melt, all over her socks and her feet, and Amanda screamed again.

"Don't let go Manda!" Harry told her frantically as he tried to pull her up. He had both his hands holding onto her wrist, so he couldn't grab his wand. He could see her tear streaked face, as he tried to pull her up.

Harry grunted as he tried with all of his might to lift the girl up. It wouldn't have been a difficult task even with a small boy like Harry. But they had just gone down numerous flights of stairs, and then ran back up one, and this small exhausted and hurt boy had nothing left in him. All he could do was let her hang there, but he couldn't lift her up. He prayed to whoever that someone would find them, especially as he felt his hands on hers slipping.

"Don't drop me Harry! Please I'm scared!" Amanda cried out tearfully as the grip loosened and she slid down a half of an inch. Her feet were burned she was sure of it, but she didn't care, she just didn't want to fall.

"Hold on!" Harry yelled before trying to look to see if anyone was near him, that only had the effect of him sliding a bit forward and her dropping a bit more. He sniffled, unable to brush away the tears that were starting to fall from his own eyes as he realized the helplessness of their plight. He was too weak to lift her up, and he knew he couldn't hold her forever.

"I'm sorry for how my brother treated you, he's not like that at home. Please I'm sorry, don't drop me Harry, please!" She pleaded as she struggled to hang on.

"It okay Mandy," Harry replied trying to be calm before he was trying once more to lift her up. He grunted as he felt forward suddenly dropping her even further down and his torso leaning off the edge. "Oh Merlin, someone help us!" He yelled out fearfully as he body slowly started sliding off. He couldn't let her go, but he knew if he didn't, he would fall in and they would both die. He didn't think he could live with himself, as she was only 11, he had to be strong! He wasn't ashamed either, to into his fear to hear that someone had heard their screams.

"Harry! I'm slipping!" Amanda shrieked horrified as they slid some more. She closed her eyes when she heard him yell out but nothing had prepared her for the moment when she felt that her fingers were no longer grasping his but now air. She opened her eyes to see Harry's horrified green ones looking down at her as she fell his arms still reaching even though they both knew he would never reach her. She saw him getting pulled back by someone with a dark cloak when he started to tumble down after her. The 11 year old closed her eyes tight as the hot air became painful as she fell, and though she tried to be brave she couldn't stopped crying because she knew for her that this was the end.

The End.
End Notes:
Don't hate me! Things arent what they seem. See you guys in a couple days :)
Chapter 5: An Unexpected Savior by Severus Draconis Potter
Author's Notes:
Hey guys, I hope this update didnt take so long. And I am so sorry about that Cliffy I left about Amanda's fate. Just know that her fate was changed twice. Anyways I hope you enjoy this as a new person comes into play!

And Guess what. Snape and Harry action is coming right up!

"No! Amanda!" Harry yelled out tearfully as he fought against the arms that had saved him. He didn't want to be saved, he fought against them, unsure of who even had him as he was blind in his grief. His tears had taken over everything, and he couldn't stop seeing Amanda's face as she realized that she had been let go. She had slipped; he had meant to continue holding her, but something had happened.

"Potter stop, she's gone," Severus told him in a gentle voice that he had only used once on this particular child. Could it really have been only a couple hours prior to right now?

"No she's not, I just saw her," Harry said piteously as he cried. "She's my friend! Amanda!" He screeched out as he continued to struggle in his Professor's arms, his arms reaching out to empty air.

Severus held the boy firm as he pulled him back away from the edge and up another flight of steps, trying to put as much distance as he could. He wanted to spare the boy the death of a classmate. He was kicking himself up on the inside. Because he knew that if he had only arrived a second sooner, he could have had them both.

"She's gone, and she's not coming back," Severus told him a bit more firmer, though his voice still had the gentleness to it, it also had an undertone of sadness in it.

"Mandy's still a baby, she can't be dead. Her brother's going to kill me," Harry blubbered out hysterically.

"What are you talking about?" Severus asked, a pit of dread appearing in his stomach as he recognized the name from earlier.

"Flint, Marcus is going to kill me. She's only 11," Harry said as he chewed his cloak to try to stop crying. He remembered the way she look as she fell and he just couldn't. He didn't know how to handle this, as he had never lost someone this close to him, not to mention younger then him. He couldn't remember his parents so that didn't really count.

"Sweet Merlin," Severus said as he absently turned the boy to his chest who really started to sob in earnest. He had told his Slytherin that he would watch out for her and make sure she got to safety and here he had failed. His heart weighed heavy in his chest, at the thought of telling him the news.

Harry was coming down from his denial, and his cries had turned to heart wrenching sobs, for the 11 year old girl who never grow up. Who would never become the Medi-witch who specializes in children both the muggle and wizarding children. The girl who would never again play quidditch with her big brother, and who would never tell Harry the funniest jokes he had ever heard. The one with the brown eyes, who despite their situation had always smiled even through her tears. He gasped softly, feeling like his heart would explode out of his chest.

"It's all my fault, I should've held her tighter. I'm sorry, so sorry. Oh Mandy I'm sorry," Harry sobbed out, his tearful pleas, hurting even Snape who was the only one around to hear.

"Hush Potter, it's not your fault, " Severus told him softly, his hand going to rubbed the boy's back to try to calm him down.

He was completely out of his element, and wasn't sure he was doing the whole comforting thing right. He headed up to the fourth floor and stopped, the child still securely in his arms as he continued to cry. Severus sighed as he took a seat on the stone floor, the boy still nestled in his torso. He was getting caught up in his own thoughts and grief that a part of him wasn't sure that he was truly holding Potter. But then again, he knew who was blubbering into his chest, but at this point in time even he wasn't about to deny the little boy this small method of comfort. Especially when he had seen pieces of his horrendous childhood, and no one had ever been there for him. What kind of person would he be if he turned the child away now?

~*~*~*Entrance Hall 5:45~*~*~*~*~

Draco stared in horror as he looked at the entrance doors to Hogwarts. He was standing directly in the line of lava, as his shock took over his body. He had been trying ever since Snape had sealed the doors to break it, but he hadn't been able to get his friends out. They had been yelling through the doors, that something was happening outside as they could see from their dorms. He didn't need to ask what it was they saw as he was currently looking at it.

He had never heard Theodore sound frightened, as in Slytherin you never showed a weakness to anyone let alone your friends. He couldn't understand them because Pansy's crying had been extremely loud. He didn't even know why he let the girl into their plan, before shaking his head as he remembered how she had blackmailed them by saying she was telling Snape. He gasped as he saw the doors crumble to ask as the hot liquid had him sweating.

How was he going to get his friends out? He didn't even know where Snape was or any other Professor. Where the bloody hell was going on? He had never felt so alone then he did in that moment. He turned around, hoping to see just one single soul, but he saw no one. He took off back the way he came, knowing that Snape had been right in their assessment and that the lava was taking over the whole first floor. He couldn't let his friends be burned alive! As he turned a corner, he found himself colliding with something else, and as the thing grunted he deduced that it was another person.

"Malfoy! Watch where you're going!" Ron said angrily. He wasn't truly angry at the boy as he hadn't been paying attention to where he was going. His face was still blotchy but he didn't particularly care, as this was serious.

"I wouldn't go that way if I were you Weasely," Draco told him hurriedly as the boy had quickly gotten up and was about to turn the corner once more.

"Well its a good thing you're not me," Ron replied shortly before continuing.

"You idiot, do you wanna die?!" Draco screeched as he pulled the boy back. His emotions were haywire, and he didn't know what to do. All he could think about his friends being trapped and then being killed by the lava. It was a horrible way to go and to think that this had been his idea he was blaming himself; rightly so.

"The bloody hell is your problem?" Ron asked, turning to look at the other boy in confusion.

"There is lava, pouring into Hogwarts as we speak," Draco replied hoarsely before shaking his head in disbelief.

"It got in then?" Ron whispered in horror.

"Yeah the entrance doors are a pile of ash," Draco replied softly.

"Oh Merlin, did you happen to see any of my brothers come pass you?" Ron asked worriedly.

"No I saw no one. It's deserted," Draco answered. "Have you seen any Professors?" He found himself asking. Now was not the time to be proud, he needed help.

"Professor McGonagall is in her office, evacuating students, as is the rest of the Professors," Ron told him.

"I need help," Draco found himself saying, the tips of his ears turning red in his embarrassment.

"What's the matter?" Ron inquired curiously.

"The Slytherin Tower was sealed by Snape, but my friends hid in a secret compartment in a trunk and now they're trapped in there. The lava is moving fast, if they don't get out they'll die," Draco told him, not even caring that tears were stinging the back of his eyes.

Ron was staring at Draco in horror. "I just want to let you know that what they did was an incredibly stupid thing to do," he said stating the obvious.

"I know that now, but we thought the Headmaster was lying," Draco sniffled defensively.

"He's most certainly not joking. I saw a Slytherin Chaser get burned to death Malfoy, trust me when I say, this is serious," Ron replied choking on his words. That was the first time he uttered the words; about the boy. Even as he had seen it, but saying it just made it more true, even if he had witnessed it.

"Who was it?" Draco asked despite the horror he was feeling. He didn't want to believe it, but there was three Chasers and he knew all three.

"I don't want to talk about it, lets go find a Professor. Where is Snape when you need him?" Ron muttered as he took off the way he came back up the steps with Draco at his heels.

~*~*~*Third Floor Corridors 6:10pm ~*~*~*~

It was about 10 minutes later that Severus found himself standing up. He knew that it was unsafe for them to remain here even longer then they had been. He wasn't naïve as to think that the lava had stayed where it was; knowing how fast it was making its way through the castle. He turned his gaze towards the mop of messy black haired child who had ceased his hysterical sobbing and was producing what could only be classified as soft whimpers. He shook his head as he continued his back rub as he walked through the hall. He was on the alert for wayward students, as they needed to get them all to safety. As he turned towards the DADA classroom, he sneered as he saw the wolf coming out of his office. He held the child tighter, causing him to look up in alarm.

"What's wrong?" Harry asked softly as he felt the man tensed. Was the lava coming back to kill them like it got Manda? He buried his face in the man's shoulder once more.

"Nothing for you to worry about," Severus told him as the man spotted them and turned in their direction.

"Severus, I've just finished evacuating the students in my office. Do you know how many are left?" Remus asked before he caught a glimpse of the child on the Potion's master's shoulder. His nostrils flared at the fresh saltwater he could smell on the boy.

"I was just heading to the Headmaster's office to see," Severus told him curtly; before sighing. "And before you ask, he has just witness a classmate's death," he murmured, seeing the man's sharp look.

"Oh cub," Remus gasped instinctively going towards the child. He could tell by the narrowed eyes of Severus that he was getting to close but he didn't care. He did however stopped, and opened his arms the universal gesture that asked if he could hold the child.

"Here," Severus told him as started to hold out Harry, trying to ignore the small pain in his chest. He knew that the wolf would be able to comfort him better, and in turn the boy would cling to the last of his last link to his parents.

It was irrational and sudden the small sliver of jealously he felt, as he wanted to be the only one to comfort Harry. These protective and caring feeling were new, as he wanted the protect the little boy, and not just because he was his best friend's son. He growled inwardly, this wasn't about him and his newly discovered feelings, this was about the sad little boy in his arm. He started to hold the child out to Lupin only to stop suddenly as he heard a small voice.

"No, don't. I wanna stay with you. Please? Don't send me away. I'll be a good boy," Harry whimpered over and over again; as his fingers clenched tight to his teacher's robes. He was holding on for dear life not wanting to be separated from the safety of Snape.

Severus sighed as he brought the boy back to his chest. He didn't want to answer the man's unasked questions, they didn't have time for this. There was so many things they still needed to do. He however did know that he would have to address this, as the last of Harry's whimpering had turned to pleading and he knew exactly what it stemmed from.

"Let's go Lupin," he muttered as he continued his path to the Headmaster's office. He didn't say anything to Minerva when they found her coming out of her own office with a distressed look on her face. Severus was only focused on Harry; and at the moment could care less about what she had to say. He knew that when they made it to Albus that he would hear what had the Headmistress in a twit, and he only hoped that more children hadn't died. As Harry didn't need to hear any of that.


~*~*~*~The Headmaster's Office 6:35pm ~*~*~*~

Albus Dumbledore had just flooed the last of the students that he had managed to get into his office. He sat on his desk, the alarms around his office going off as another section of Hogwarts was destroyed. He was afraid, he had never felt such fear as he felt at that very moment. Oh it wasn't for himself, but for his students, and his staff. His children if you will, he knew he had missed some and he already knew that hoping that his other Professors had gotten the rest was futile. It was indeed an old man's wish.

Hogwarts was huge, and he could only pray that they had all gotten out safely. He sighed wearily, something compelling him to grab the registry book of wizarding students enrolled in Hogwarts. He turned the pages slowly, not sure what he was looking for until he saw a name disappear from a page. He knew what that represented. A name didn't just disappear for nothing. For that to happen a student had to have been deceased and was then no longer registered at Hogwarts. He gasped as a few more names started to disappear as if they had never been there at all.

He knew every single one of his students; so each blank page he felt a piece of his heart break off a little bit more. He took a moment to grieve, for each and every child that was lost. He could hear Fawkes, singing a mournful song, knowing that he failed. He was bent over his book, unable and unwilling to look away when the door to his office flew open. He looked up at the intruders, their fearful expressions had him coming back to himself and setting his book to the side. He looked at his 3 Professor's sadly, trying but failing to get a grip on his emotions.

"Albus what is it?" Minerva asked, as they could all see the tears on his cheeks.

"We didn't get all the students," Albus replied, as he took off his glasses and wiped his eyes with his handkerchief.

"Merlin, the registry book showed you I presume?" Severus asked quietly, his hand unconsciously going to rest on the back of Harry's head. He didn't want the child to hear this, but he himself couldn't miss this information.

"It did, I watched a few names disappearing. More are joining them now as we speak," Albus replied before taking a shuddering breath, as he looked back to the book.

"Any Slytherins?" Severus couldn't help but ask. He cared for all of his students, but he was closer to the ones in his house as was the case for all the other Head of houses.

"Too many," Albus replied softly. "And Gryffindors, Ravenclaws and Hufflepuffs," he continued before the rest of them could ask.

"Who?" Severus requested softly.

"Don't ask me that Severus," Albus replied, his voice tired and thick with tears of grief.

"I'm sorry," Severus replied almost automatically. He hadn't stopped to think how the man might be feeling, having to see name after name disappear; knowing exactly what that meant.

"It's alright," Albus told him quietly. "They didn't deserve this. My poor children," he gasped out quietly as he saw one name flicker as if they were fighting death before it suddenly disappeared.

"Whose name was flickering Albus?" Minerva asked, unable to help herself. She was slowly inching close but she hadn't been able to see it fully.

"A Gryffindor," Albus replied quietly before swallowing and shaking his head at her. He would could not, and would not tell her who. He didn't need her blaming herself as he was doing to himself now. He was pulled out of his thoughts however when someone spoke. He looked up once more and truly focused on the people in his office. Now that he thought about it, why was Harry with Severus.

"Which one? Albus?" Minerva asked in spite of the pounding in her heart.

"Not right now Minnie," Albus murmured as he took a lemon drop from the desk and popped it in his mouth.

"What does that mean? What does the book show?" Harry asked, curiously; finally poking his head out from his teacher's shoulder. He hadn't been listening to the conversation, but something just perked his interest. Not to mention the Headmaster sounded so sad, it was starting to creep him out. The teachers had all forgotten about the child up into that moment.

"The names of all the students in Hogwarts. Harry my boy, how are you?" Albus replied, trying to fix his tone so that Harry couldn't hear the worry in his voice.

"I'm fine," Harry replied quietly. "Were you talking about the kids that....died?" Harry choked out softly.

"Yes Harry, we were," Severus replied softly. "Don't think about it," he told him knowing exactly where the child's thoughts were going to. More specifically who.

"I can't not do that. Headmaster? Can...could you see if Amanda Flint is still in there?" He asked, swallowing hard as a wave of grief threatened to expel him. He knew she was gone, but he felt that he needed a bit of closure since he knew she probably wasn't going to get a funeral anytime soon. He rubbed his cheek against his teacher's shoulder, releasing a shuddering breath. He felt the man"s hand resume his soothing back rub.; making him feel good on the inside. If the situation wasn't so bad, he really would have relished in the comfort.

"Of course Harry," Albus replied looking at the small boy with a confused expression. After all he didn't know what happened to the girl.

"Amanda Flint was holding onto him when she fell from the second floor, where there was lava collecting underneath her. Potter would have fallen as well if I hadn't pulled him back at the last second," Severus explained feeling the child stiffen at his words; and Minerva gasp. He had remembered that she probably hadn't known this.

"I don't like it when you call me Potter," Harry whispered tearfully in the man's ear.

Every time he heard Snape called him that, he only remembered the man sneering down at him and making fun of him. Like his Uncle tended to do. But when he called him Harry, he could see the man who held him, and let him cry into his chest. Just thinking on that had him blinking away tears. There was the mean Snape and then the not so mean Snape. Could he help it if he wanted the security and safety he got with the latter?

"Why not? It's your last name," Severus told him quietly.

"My Uncle calls me that, when he's about to hurt me," Harry admitted before sniffling.

Severus stilled himself at the child's admission, and he could hear the intake of breaths in the office, making him remember that they were far from alone; and not every occupant had known that. He looked at Albus who looked even older if that was possible before he resumed looking at the book.

"Amanda, the first year Gryffindor. She's alive," Albus found himself saying as he read it, and she was. Her name wasn't flickering, but he could see that it had turned a red color which meant the child in question was injured. "But she's hurt," he continued.

"She's alive? How? But I saw her fall," Harry asked, refusing to believe it, he knew what he saw!

"I'm sure someone else did as well, and they saved her. As it is, I hope that she's in good hands," Albus told him as there was nothing more he could say and he turned the page to see who else was there, or wasn't.

Harry quieted at that, but he didn't poke his head up anymore. He was safe in Snape's arms, and he wasn't about to leave that. Or at least that's what he was planning on doing until he heard his head of houses voice.

"Severus set Harry down, so I can floo him to safety," Minerva told him briskly. She was still bristling over the news of about her lions. Not to mention she couldn't understand just why Harry was clinging to Severus that way, especially considering their history together.

"No!" Harry screamed out, his arms tightening around the man's neck, lest someone try to yank him away from his Potion's Professor.

"Mr. Potter, enough of this. You will get down and come to me right this moment! We do not have time for this," the Headmistress said in her no-nonsense voice, that usually had students quick to do what she wanted. She made her way towards the child, ignoring the glare she was receiving from Severus.

"No, I'm a good boy. I didn't do anything wrong! I wanna stay with Snape!" Harry whimpered out hysterically, his eyes shut tight as his legs and arms securely attached themselves to his Professor's body. He trembled in the man's arms violently, as the items in the Headmaster's office started to rattle with his magic. He didn't seem the alarmed expressions on the Professor's in the office, nor the fact that his Head of House was now backing off.

"Calm down Harry, you're not going anywhere. I told you that you were going to stay with me, and I meant that," Severus told him gently, his eyes like knives from how sharp he was looking at the Gryffindor Head of house; who looked at alarmed as the rest of the occupants in the office. He was starting to understand that seeing the small girl fall had been a bit too much for the child. He seemed to be suffering from mild flashbacks, and Severus hoped they wouldn't get any worse. His heart heart every time he heard the child say that he was a good boy, he had know desire to know why he was so insistent.

"She's going to make me go," Harry told him tearfully as he sniffles returned.

"Minerva wouldn't dare," Severus repeated trying to calm the tears; and to his relief(and everyone elses) everything stopped shaking. The glass figurines on Albus's desk, stopped rattling almost instantly when he calmed down.

"Okay," Harry whispered. He was aware that he wasn't acting his age, but who the heck cared? So Amanda wasn't dead but she was hurt, and unaccounted for, that was just as bad; so he knew he had a right to be upset. He had seen her fall, a person didn't just bounce back from that, especially if there was lava underneath!

Albus found his blue eyes twinkling in spite of the situation as he looked at his two boys. He had always known that they could benefit from each other, he was only sadden that it took a tragedy like this to get it going. He sighed as he stared at them, before turning to his familiar who had left his perch and was now singing a song to Harry. He was relieved when the child's tensed shoulder started to relax.

"Albus what are we going to do? Hogwarts won't stand a chance against this," Remus murmured when it seemed that no one was going to speak.

"I do not know and at the moment I do not care. My first priority isn't the castle, but the remaining children inside. According to the registry there are approximately 25 students still inside the school. Now before you ask there are: 8 Gryffindors, 7 Slytherins, 4 Hufflepuffs, and 6 Ravenclaws," Albus told them.

"Is there anyway that you can let us know who they are?" Severus asked, a sinking in the pit of his stomach, at the mention of the 7 Slytherins. He had told them to go up, and head to the library and he knew that everyone up there had been evacuated. He didn't have a good feeling about this, and neither did the small boy in his arms as he he whined at the news. Severus knew that Harry was no doubt afraid to hear if he knew the Gryffindors.

"Who are the Gryffindors?" Minerva asked quietly.

"Well Harry is one of them of course, but oh dear. Molly isn't going to like this," Albus breathed out quietly. He shook his head as he saw that not one or two but 4 of her sons were still inside the school and in danger as long as they were in the castle. He wasn't about to speak it aloud, not when he could see those emerald green eyes peeking through a curtain of hair in curiosity.

"Which one of her boys is it?" Minerva asked with a bit of dread in her stomach.

Before Albus could say anything, he looked up as the guardian guarding his office, suddenly sent him an alert that someone was trying to guess the password and get in. He knew that it had to be students and he quickly had the guardian grant them access. He didn't know what was wrong, but he had a hunch that whatever it was wasn't going to be good news.

"Albus? What is it?" Remus asked softly.

"We have more visitors," he told them as he turned towards the door to wait for the knock, that he knew would come.

~*~*~*~2nd floor Corridor 6:15pm ~*~*~*~

Sirius Black was currently making his way through the second floor of the castle. The escaped convict, was shaking his head in disbelief. As a dog he had heard all sorts of rumors of what had been going on, but hearing it from the Headmaster's mouth had been the kicker. If the situation hadn't been so severe he would have never braved being in his human form. The reason he was out, is that he wanted to make sure that his godson was safe, and he couldn't really do that if he was a dog. He sighed as he took in the sight in front of him. He had never see the castle look this deserted, which is why he felt confident that no one would run into him.

Oh he wasn't as stupid as one might think which is why when he came across a fallen wand he picked it up, and was in the process of disguising himself when he heard it. He heard that cringing ear piercing shriek that all little girls do, only something told him that whoever was screaming was in some serious trouble. His first reaction was to find her and save her, before he remembered himself. Acting impulsively had led to him getting incarcerated and Harry being raised by someone other then him. He had a plan to catch Peter and he was sticking with it.

At the moment, he wiped the brow from his eyes, he could see no one and had deduced that the scream had come from up above. He continued to walk, wondering why the temperature seemed to keep rising. He wasn't yet sure what was going on, until he lost himself in his thoughts and almost walked straight into the lava. He gasped loudly as he hurriedly stepped back, at the hot liquid seemed to destroy everything in his path. He didn't need to look down to know that the whole bottom floor seemed to be destroyed or on its way to it.

He turned to transform when he heard the scream again, only this time it was occupied by another, a familiar voice! Looking up he could see Harry, and some girl hanging off the edge of the staircase. Sirius pulled out the borrowed wand, and made a strong shield of water to prevent the lava from coming towards him while he focused on not letting the children fall. That plan fell through however, when the girl was suddenly falling, her screams echoing in his ears, as he watched her fall. She looked like she was first year, and he knew he had to catch her. She was only a baby, his own safety be damned! He hadn't even called out a spell as his wand caught her, and due to the way the lava was rising; he was terrified for her, that he wouldn't be able to hold onto her.

He only had a moment to grab her and hold her to his chest before he took off down the hall. He needed to get them to a higher floor, he didn't see anyone grab his godson but he knew that the boy hadn't fallen. Sirius didn't stop, or slow his pace, taking the next available staircase two at a time trying to put as much distance he could between them and the lava. As they climbed up onto the 7th floor, he continued to hold the child tightly. He must have been doing something right as the girl had yet to let go of him. Making his way to the Room of Requirement, he paced back and forth for a moment, wishing for an hospital. He wasn't very good at healing, but he knew the child who ever she was needed his help. As he walked in he, and shut the door behind them, he set her on the bed.

"Hey there, little one you're okay," he told her softly, trying to reassure her that everything was okay. His heart was pounding from his run, and he was out of breath. He nearly smirked to himself when a cup of water appeared next to him on the dresser by the bed. Which he gratefully drank.

"Am, am I dead?" Amanda asked, her throat thick with tears.

"No I saved you," Sirius explained to her quietly.

"Why did you do that?" She asked, as she sat up. She hadn't heard his voice before so she knew already that this wasn't one of her Professors; and he looked to old to be a student. She wasn't sure who he was but she didn't feel threatened at all, especially as he just saved her life.

"Because you're my godson's friend. And if the way he was holding onto you was any inclination, I know that hes beating himself up right now because he thinks your dead," Sirius told her gently.

Amanda didn't pretend she got that, choosing to look at the man with a blank expression. "But I am dead, I fell and I was burned alive. See my feet?" She said in a calm voice that had Sirius looking at her in alarm.

He had smelled burning flesh when he carried her, but up until that moment he hadn't know what part of her was burnt. Looking at her feet had him wincing as her shoes, were completely melted off, and sticking to her feet which were black. He had to wonder how she wasn't screaming in pain right now. He could also see the tears silently streaming down her face, but she was oh so calm; it didn't make sense.

"No honey, I know they're burnt, and I'll heal them in a moment," he promised as he stood up and grabbed the burn salve. He went through the bookshelf of potions, grabbing everything he remembered Poppy using on him when he had an incident with a dragon in his 4th year.

"I want my brother," she whimpered out as she hugged herself tightly. She didn't yet feel her pain, because of the shock she was currently in. It was probably a good thing too, as she would probably pass out if she did.

"Doesn't it hurt?" He asked suddenly as he had held out a pain potion and she shook it away; as if she didn't need.

"I don't want it," she protested; shaking her head once more. She felt fine!

"You're in shock," Sirius stated as he stared at her for a second, before uncorking the vial along with a few others and making her drink it. She gave him a bit of a struggle, but she was an injured 11 year old girl and was no match for him. He knew they were safe for the moment, and he took that time to heal her, making sure to keep her as calm as can be. It helped however that she had a calming potion coursing through her blood stream.

"Why did you save me? Thank you for doing it, but why did you really do it?" Amanda asked quietly, as she wiped her runny nose on her sleeve. She knew if her mother had been there she would have been scolded for not using pureblood decorum; and acting like someone without manners.

"Because my godson would never forgive himself if you had died. Not to mention you are someone's baby, I would hope that if I had a daughter someone would save her if she was in a similar situation," Sirius replied quietly, and he had meant every word. He grimaced as he watched her, before reaching over and grabbing the handkerchief that just appeared.

"Harry's your godson, so I guess that makes you Sirius Black then, huh?" Amanda asked neutrally; as she pondered over the information that she was given. She knew this is why she was placed in Gryffindor instead of Slytherin like she had been hoping, her sense of curiosity always overrode her sense of self preservation.

She didn't particularly care who the man was in front of her, she was from a dark family, and though she would deny all who asked her this; but her father was definitely a death eater. And he tended to talk about sensitive things when he thought his children were asleep. She had known as long as she could remember that the man in front of her was no death eater. He didn't even have the signature tattoo! She knew that he had been framed, hell most of the Slytherins did too. As he was from a dark family as well, she had no reason to fear him; as he knew how sacred pureblood children were. No harm would come to her, at least not from him.

"Yes, but I'm not going to hurt you." Sirius told her in a calm voice.; before reaching over and wiping her nose. "Blow," he requested.

"I know you're not, you didn't do it. You don't have to explain to me," Amanda said with a shy smile, before she blew her nose.

"How could you know that?" Sirius asked her after a moment of silence had passed by and he placed the sodden handkerchief in the rubbish bin. He had been shocked into silence at her words.

"I'm Amanda Flint, a pureblood from a dark family. I know you weren't a death eater," she replied firmer as if that explained it all; because for purebloods it did. And one look at his expression she knew he understood it all to clearly.

"How is Harry friends with you?" Sirius couldn't help but ask; he was aware that his tone was rude and not all gentle as it had been. He stared at her a bit differently as well; ashamed to say that he was indeed judging her, and he knew she knew it too.

"I'm in Gryffindor," she replied softly. "And as of 2 hours ago we weren't friends. We were just the only ones left in the tower. Don't worry, I won't poison him," Amanda muttered before turning away from the man. Her shy friendly smile was gone and in it's place was a blank expression. Though she wasn't a Slytherin she was from a Slytherin family, and she knew how to hide her emotions when she needed too. But she was still only 11 and he had hurt her feeling, so the tears pooled into her eyes unwilling, but she didn't look at him again.

She felt a sense of hurt settling in her stomach, but this was nothing new to the 11 year old. There was a reason she didn't have a lot of friends in Gryffindor, and it wasn't the first time where she cursed the sorting hat. She knew it was only love that kept her parents from disowning her; and the back of her eyes stung from the tears. She stared at her red but no longer severely burnt feet. They were far from being healed, but she wasn't at a risk of loosing her feet or toes anymore. She didn't offer anything else, and only watched in silence as he wrapped her feet in bandages.

"Oh," Sirius stated stupidly feeling low all of a sudden. It didn't matter who Harry was friends with, he should be able to contest to that. He was from a dark family and a Potter of all things had befriended him too. So why couldn't Harry and Amanda have that friendship? Who the hell was he to judge that; to judge them? Not to mention, this was an 11 year old girl, where did he get off hurting kids. What if someone did that to Harry?

"I thank you for saving me," she repeated formally. "If you ever need anything, just call on the life debt that you now have and I will try my best to grant you it," Amanda replied curtly as she waited until he was finished before she started to slide off the bed so she could get off of it. She shook her head; even as the tears fell. But she wouldn't wipe them away, she wouldn't give him that satisfaction to know that he upset her so. Amanda swallowed thickly, just wanting to run away from this place and leave him behind.

"It was nothing kid, listen. I'm sorry, I know I have no business judging you, and Harry is lucky to have a friend like you," Sirius told her softly, before he registered her words. "And you don't owe me a life debt," he protested.

"I do, you saved my life," Amanda told him, his apology and his words warming her hurt heart. She still couldn't look at him Slytherins never showed weakness. And she was a snake in lion's clothing.

"I did it because it was the right thing to do, you are someone's kid," Sirius stressed as he stood up and looked around the sterile room. He sighed as he finally caught a glimpse of her face and sighed, knowing that this new wave of tears was his own doing and not her injuries. He took a clean wash cloth and gently cleaned her face.

"I know," Amanda replied softly, realizing that he wasn't going to take it. "What are we going to do?" She asked, she didn't even know where they were. She hadn't exactly been fully aware when he brought her up him. She didn't protest as he cleaned her face, her emotions confused on the inside.

"The come and go room." Sirius replied absently as he pulled out the wand and started to finish his disguising charm on his face.

"We can't stay here can we?" Amanda asked quietly.

"No it isn't safe, the lava is rising and when it does get to the 7th floor, we will be sitting ducks. We need to get as high up as we can, and then I'll accio a broom and get us the hell out of here," Sirius told her.

"But what about Harry?" Amanda said suddenly, remembering her friend.

"Find him on the way, hopefully after what happened. He will think to go up," Sirius told him as he reached for her on the bed and picked her up. She didn't weigh much so he didn't feel that he needed to cast a featherlight charm so he didn't. He made sure she drank some water before they left the room and reappeared in the corridors of Hogwarts.

"I'm scared," she whispered out, when the empty silence of the hallway seemed much too loud to her.

"I know you are, but I've got you and I'm not going to leave you." Sirius promised her as he headed down the hallway.

The End.
End Notes:
I kept hinting that this was placed in Harry's 3rd year...not to mention I do love Sirius :)

I know there are a few mistakes, but I'm sorry. Just ignore them the best you csn :)
Chapter 6: Sacrifices are a part of Surivival by Severus Draconis Potter
Author's Notes:
Oh boy, this chapter was hard to write, and I think I have to change the rating on my story again. Nonetheless I hope I still have some readers after this. Enjoy...(I dont think thats the right word)

Severus turned when he heard the opening of Albus's office door, and was alarmed and relieved when he saw who it was. What he couldn't understand is what Draco was doing with a Weasely. Those two got along like water and oil, even worse then how Harry and Draco got along. He knew it was because the blood feud between their families, that went back way even before the boys were born. He shook his head knowing he was getting off track.

"Mr. Malfoy, to what do we owe this pleasure? Why weren't you evacuated with the rest of your classmates?" Severus said in a dark silky voice, that his students knew not to lie too.

Draco swallowed thickly, his eyes straying to his Gryffindor companion who was steadily looking at something behind his Head of House's shoulder. He couldn't for the life of him see what it was but that wasn't important. He didn't know where the lava was and he knew his friends lives were at risk.

"Because my friends are in danger," Draco replied urgently.

"Why do you say they are in danger? Where are they?" Severus asked worriedly.

"They're probably in their Common Room Severus, that's where Harry was remember?" Remus pointed out.

"They couldn't be, I sealed it, after I checked and made sure that no one was left," Severus replied but his eyes never left his snake. He could see the small shudder that the boy tried to suppress.

"But they are, they hid from you," Draco replied quickly.

"The little imbeciles, do they not know that the lava is invading the castle?" Severus asked in a shocked and dangerous tone that had Harry whimpering on his shoulder. "Shh child, not you," he murmured.

"They do now, they saw it through the dorm windows. They're trapped, they could die!" Draco blurted out, and to his horror found himself blinking back tears.

"Sweet Merlin," Remus murmured as he looked back at his fellow Professors. "Do we know for sure that the first floor is covered?" He asked.

"It is, Harry and Amanda were heading to it, and the 2nd floor stairs were starting to crumble," Severus replied, before sighing as he heard the twin gasps from the boys in the room.

"I knew that was Harry," Ron murmured to himself. "Mate are you okay?" He asked, a bit of weight falling off his chest; as he realized his best friend was unhurt and alive.

"I'm okay Ron," Harry whispered out.

"If that's true, then why are you attached to Snape?" Ron asked curiously; after all it was a legitimate question.

"I don't know," Harry replied, making no move to get away from the man. He was saved thankfully by his Head of house.

"Mr. Potter had just witness a traumatic event and Professor Snape saved him," she replied firmly. She was feeling extremely sorry about what had just happened moments before, knowing that she was the cause of his overly emotional state right now.

Albus took this time to stand up, and looked at everyone gathered in his office. He knew that the most rational thing to do was to floo Harry, Ronald and Draco to safety. But Harry's safety was also priority and he knew that regardless of what was going on inside the school Death eaters were still out there. And as soon as Draco Malfoy flooed over, his family(most importantly Lucius Malfoy) would be informed and he didn't need him that close to an unprotected Harry. He sighed, having not choice but to keep them within the castle walls to his utter regret.

"Lets head out, Draco I need you to tell me, which of your peers were hiding out," Albus asked sternly.

Draco swallowed, as you never wanted the old man mad at you. He still could wield a lot of power even if his father did say that he was barmy. "Daphne Greengrass, Pansy Parkinson, Vincent Crabbe, Gregory Goyle, Theodore Nott, and Blaize Zabini," he said sighing.

"Well there are your 7 Slytherins Severus," Albus replied quietly, gesturing to Draco as the last one.

"Yes Albus, I can count. Just wait until I get my hands on them. They won't be able to sit still for a week," Severus replied quietly, giving a Draco a look the boy knew all to well. He knew that the blond boy played a part in this and he too would be receiving punishment. He kept his Slytherins in line by his fair but firm hand. Their parents were all purebloods, and they had no problem with it as they all practiced it at home. He was rewarded when the boy's hands unconsciously disappeared to hold his backside protectively.

"What are you doing?" Ron asked in horror as he stared at the Slytherin. He himself was no stranger to spankings, so he knew what they boy was doing, but why he was doing it was beyond him.

"Nothing," Draco squeaked in embarrassment before looking towards the ground. He couldn't believe his traitorous hands had betrayed him like that; and in public no less.

"You will stay with Professor Lupin if you know what's good for you," Severus told the blond boy who nodded meekly as Minerva found herself grabbing Ronald's hand to the boy's embarrassment.

"Albus how are we going to get to them?" Minerva asked quietly, she didn't feel very good about taking the children with them. It was much to dangerous; she wasn't alone in her thoughts as she saw Severus take a seat.

"Harry, I can't take you with me," Severus told him softly before sighing. He couldn't focus on saving his Slytherins and worry about Harry somehow getting hurt. The boy was a magnet for trouble.

"Why not? You said you wouldn't take me away!" Harry said in a terrified tone, that had both of his peers looking at him in concern, and a bit of fear. As they didn't know what happened to Harry, to make him act like that.

"I'm not taking you away. I just need you and Draco and Ronald to stay in Albus's office, just until we come back with my Slytherins," Severus told him gently.

"Oh," Harry replied quietly, a heavy feeling appearing in the pit of his stomach. Professor Snape needed to get his Slytherins and Harry wasn't his. Who was he kidding, he would never mean anything to this man. He was just the kid who witness a classmate fall to her supposedly death and then needed some comfort. Snape was only doing his Professional duty, and nothing else. He swallowed the lump that suddenly appeared, but this was nothing new to him. He wasn't anybody's, and the sooner he remembered that; the better off he would be.

Severus sighed, as he looked at Harry. The child literally radiated hurt, which he couldn't take the time the time out to address right now. As every second they wasted, the other children could perish. As it was they only had the book to tell them how many were alive and he was too afraid to look through it. He couldn't afford to squash the poor boy's fears, so he just hugged him tight for a moment before he stood up and set Harry in the chair. He frowned as the comfy chair seemed to swallow Harry u[, he just looked small and vulnerable. Severus frowned, he hadn't fully realized how small Harry really was. He had to fight the twitching of his arms that threatened to pick the child back up. He was currently oblivious to the looks the others were giving him; too focused on Harry.

"I will come back for you," Severus promised as he nodded to Albus who was giving the other two boys a stern talking too; knowing how they could be. He knew the last thing they needed was a petty fight breaking out with no adults. Not to mention he didn't want Harry getting hurt, the boy was already suffering from flashbacks; he didn't need anything worse

Harry shrugged sadly, before pulling his knees to his chest. He could care less about anything else, he missed the comforting smell of the potions on the man's robes. Who would have know he would have liked that smell, but when his security blanket was Snape, he guessed it wasn't so surprising.

Remus frowned at the scene, he could smell the hurt and the fear on Harry but he silently disappeared out the office; keeping his findings to himself, where he was soon,followed by Minerva. Severus followed after her with Albus locking and warding his office so they boys couldn't leave and basically rendered their wands useless. He wasn't worried about the lava making its way to his office, he was at the very top of the castle, they would be fine, if they didn't kill each other that was.

It was a about 5 minutes later, when the 3 boys in the office were sure that their Professor's were gone when they finally started to speak. Well 2 of them did, one was still curled up miserably in the chair, to the surprise of his peers.

"Harry, what's really wrong? It can't be because Snape left you right?" Ron asked quietly as he moved towards his friend.

"Not all of it, but I don't want to talk about it okay?" Harry said pleadingly. His heart stung at Ron's words, even if he knew he mate hadn't meant to hurt him. Snape had left him after all.

"What crawled up your butt Potter?" Draco drawled as he stood up and walked around the office. He strayed far away from the phoenix that has resumed his perch, and was now looking at him.

Ron's face got red, but Harry didn't rise to the bait as he buried his face in his knees.

"Harry seriously, what happened? Did you get burned?" Ron asked in concern. He placed a hand on his friend's shoulder and was rewarded with a flinch; to his horror.

"No Ron, I'm fine. Please don't touch me," Harry whimpered out.

"What the hell is wrong with you Potter?" Draco asked, getting worried as the boy hadn't risen to the bait, and he too had seen the flinch. He was just curled into himself, this wasn't the Gryffindor boy he was used to seeing day after day.

"I'm just gonna take a nap," Harry told them quietly, before turning his face into the chair. He shivered slightly, his body was chilled but he wasn't sure where it was coming from. Was it cold from natural causes or his fear. He didn't have time to think on it, as a blanket was soon draped over him, and he gave them a small nod unsure who it was until the boy spoke.

"If you get sick suddenly, Snape will blame us," Draco mumbled out, before shrugging. He too had seen how attached Harry not to mention Snape himself had been. It wasn't for the first time that he had wondered what the hell had happened to Harry and Snape.

Ron stared silently at his friend for a moment before turning to look at Draco in disbelief with small smile of thanks. He shook his head, not wanting to over think anything especially right now. He got up to look at the window, he could see the Volcano from where he was, even though he was pretty sure trees had once blocked it. He could see nothing but ash falling, lava and smoke in the air.

"I hope your friends are okay," Ron told Draco quietly.

"Me too," Draco replied softly as he came to stand next to the red-haired boy. "I hope your brothers are okay as well," he said after a moment.

"So do I," Ron replied gently.

~*~*~*~The Muggle World~*~*~*

Liam Finnegan was sitting on the couch watching TV., as he waited for his wife to come back from the store. He was absently flicking through the channels, as his program had just gone off. As he continued to click, he found that the breaking news seemed to appear on every other channel and every single new channel was broadcasting it. He wasn't sure just what it was, until the smoke finally cleared on the cameras and he gasped. He recognized the small village of Hogsmead, only to see that people were evacuating and that red liquid what looked to be lava making its way towards the town and remaining townspeople.

He knew as a muggle that the cameras wouldn't pick up Hogwarts but because he had been there, because of his wife and son, he knew what it was. He wasn't stupid to think that the castle would be spared. Sure magic was good for a few things, just look around his home, but this was a natural disaster. He swallowed thickly hoping his son and his friends were alright. He reached for the floo powder on the mantel only to remember that he couldn't use it. He was magic-less! He nearly cried with relief when his young daughter came running in from the backyard. His wife not to mention his own eyes knew that she was witch. She was 6, but was displaying accidental magic, so he knew she would be able to help.

"Daddy, what's wrong?" She asked worriedly.

"Lizzie, I need you to throw the floo powder into the fireplace, like mam taught you okay?" He asked her holding out the canister.

"Who am I calling Daddy?" Lizzie asked, she was worried, she didn't know what was wrong. But she knew for her dad to be telling her to use the floo that was off limits to her meant it was serious.

"The ministry of Magic, Amelia Bones, I believe is her name," Liam replied calmly. He didn't need her to panic. He had to keep calm, even though he wanted to panic. Though he had no idea if Hogwarts was even hit, he wasn't a full and he knew that natural disasters didn't spare anyone.

"Okay daddy," she replied as she tossed the powder in and called out in a clear voice like she was taught.

~*~*~*Corridors~*~*~*

The minute he had cleared the stairs, Severus took off at a dead run. He could hear the wolf keeping pace with him and figured that Albus and Minerva were behind them. All he could think about was his third years and how he hoped that they were all alive and fine. He was making his way down the steps quickly, when he came to a set of stairs going from the second to the first that 'seemed to be intact. He slowed down as he went down them, the air getting hotter the lower they went. Finally he had to cast a bubble head charm on himself so he could breathe clearer. Severus was in the middle of the staircase when he saw the rushing lava, so he knew with a sinking heart that the dungeon area was trapped.

"Why did you stop Severus?" Minerva asked as she came up behind them.

"The path is blocked, the lava is rushing across, take a look yourself," he told her quietly, trying to think of another plan.

"What are we going to do now? How are we going to get them out?" Remus asked softly.

"We will think of something," Albus replied his mind already trying to figure this out.

"We'd better do it fast, I don't know how long the students are going to have," Severus murmured, as he saw the red river rushing lava.

~*~*~*~Slytherin Dungeons~*~*~*~

Theodore wasn't sure what time it was, nor how much time had gone by for that matter. He looked around the tower blearily, it was quiet. The only constant sound was his friends snores mixed together; they had all decided to take a nap a few hours earlier when they realized they had nothing else to do. He hoped that Draco would be able to get them out of here, as he was tired of being locked in. He yawned before he laid back down on the couch.

He closed his eyes, thinking for a moment how weird it was that the Dungeons felt extremely warm today. They didn't even have the fire going in the common room, it was unneeded and a bit weird but they didn't put much thought into it. He closed his eyes and started to doze back off to sleep; when he heard a small hiss. He looked around in confusion as none of his friends had snakes, and no one was awake.

"What the heck?" He murmured out as he stood up and looked around.

As he walked around the chair couch he had been lying on, he could see smoke coming in from under the entrance to the common room. His eyes widened before he saw the entrance doors quiver. What was going on? He didn't have room to think about that when he saw the lava seeping in from under the door. He couldn't help himself, when he screamed, effectively waking up a few of his friends.

"Theo, what is it?" Daphne asked, immediately rushing over to his side.

"There better be a good reason why you just gave us a heart attack," Pansy told him, her nose turning up as she looked at him in annoyance.

"We gotta get out of here," Theodore whispered out.

"Why are you whispering? And yeah I know we have to get out of here. But news flash Theo, we're stuck in here. You know Snape sealed the entry doors shut," Blaize replied with a sigh.

"Yes I know. But we HAVE to get out here!" Theodore replied, his voice reaching near hysteria. How did know one turn around and see what he saw? The lava was quickly making its way towards a sleeping Gregory on the floor. He hadn't realized that they were too busy looking at him in concern that they hadn't noticed.

"Relax Theo, I understand how this is becoming too much, but Draco promise," Pansy told him lightly.

"There's lava! Greg wake up, move!" Theo yelled out, his eyes wide as the lava was literally an inch away from his friend's foot.

He swallowed thickly, the others turning around to see what he was screaming out before their shrieks of terror was also heard. Greg and Vincent were hard sleepers on a good day but at the moment Vincent had woken up and was already behind them. Greg was still in harm's way..0

"Greg, get up," Blaize pleaded, stepping back unconsciously.

"Guys stop yelling I'm up," Gregory mumbled, unaware of the danger he had fallen in.

"Run!" Daphne screamed before her eyes widened and she had turned her face into her shoulder. She just couldn't watch this, she just couldn't!

Gregory wasn't sure what was going on, only when he went to stand up, his hand touched something warm and it was suddenly burning. It was the most pain he thought he had ever felt and he scream, as the skin from his hand literally started to peel off. He stood up, but he knew as the lava touch his feet, he had been a bit too slow. He could hear his friend's screams of horror mixing with him, but he couldn't do anything about it.

"Help me!" He screamed out fearfully.

"GREG!" Vincent yelled out, as he got on the couch to reach a hand out to his best friend.

"Oh Merlin, what do we do?" Pansy said panicked over and over again.

"Theo, Blaize? Help him!" Daphne said urgently. She was sure the images she was seeing, she would never ever forget in her entire life.

"What can we do?" Theo asked softly to himself, before shaking his head and hurrying over to the couch, his arm already outstretched. "Blaize get the girls upstairs!"

Theodore watched as his friends led both of the horrified girls up to the boy's dorm and shut the door. He didn't know what to do and quickly grabbed his friend's free hand and tried to pull him up. He didn't bother shouting for help as he no one could get them now, they had probably condemened themselves.

"It's not working!" Vincent grunted out as he tried to pull his friend up. He didn't care that the hot lava was popping onto his and Theodore's skin, they couldn't feel it at the moment.

"Dont let me die! Please!" Greg cried, screaming out in agony as the lava climbed up his skin. He shut his eyes tight, tears falling like a stream down his eyes.

Theodore turned his head to see what they could use to help pull him up. He had barely began to look when Vincent screamed, and awful scream he never wanted to hear again. He turned back quickly to find that Greg's lower body was covered in the lava and the boy wasn't making any more noises, even as his mouth was opened in a silent scream.

"Greg! Greg answer me," Vincent pleaded as his best friend stared unblinking at him, as he shook the boy urgently. He gasped before he was suddenly pulled back by Theo as Greg's body was soon covered by the hot liquid. Tears pooled into his eyes, unwilling to believe what they had just witnessed. His body trembled and he shook his head in denial.

"Come on Vincent, lets get upstairs," Theo replied thickly; his own mind trying to process one of his friends being gone.

"No we can't leave Greg," he said in denial.

"Greg is....Greg is dead," Theodore choked out. "Come on before it gets too close and gets us," he said tearfully. He didn't notice anything, as he grabbed his friend's shirt and tugged him with him as they headed to the highest dorm room. Theo had yet to notice anything, as they were both suffering from shock at what they just witnessed. He wasn't fully there as they took a seat on one of the 7th year beds, as the Vincent sat there rocking on the bed silently.

"Where's Greg?" Pansy asked finally when it seemed like no one was going to talk.

"Down there," Theo replied softly.

"You left him?" Daphne asked in horror.

"No the lava took him; he was covered in it," Vincent replied, his face crumpling before he managed to fix it, even as he sat their blinking back tears.

"You're trying to tell us that Greg is dead?" Pansy asked, her voice rising in her fear.

"Yeah that's exactly it," Theodore replied, as he took his arm to wipe his face only to hiss in pain.

"What is it? What's wrong?" Blaize asked as he hurried over to his best friend.

"I got burned," Theo replied softly as he looked at his blistering skin, or what was left of it as the skin had peeled off. He swallowed thickly, he was no healer but this looked really bad.

"We gotta get out of here," Daphne replied stating the obvious. One of her friends were dead, another was in shock, and one more was hurt and from what she knew of injuries it was severe. Not to mention they were alone with the rising lava.

"I know," Blaize said tightly as he stared out the window. He had no idea what to do. How were they going to get out of this?

~*~*~*~Charms Classroom~*~*~*

Percy Weasley shook his head from where had been following his Charm's Professor when the man suddenly took off. They had been looking for wayward students, and evacuating them. As Head boy it was his responsibility to make sure that all the students were safe as well as himself. He knew that the Penelope the Head girl was searching with Professor Sprout. He sighed as he walked through the corridors. He had never in all his life think that Hogwarts would be threatened by something like this.

He should his head once more, trying to figure out where Professor Flitwick was. Walking out of the classroom he could see that the corridor was filled with light smoke but he knew that thankfully that wasn't the worse of it. He would be in trouble if the lava suddenly appeared. He continues to make his way down the hall, feeling more alone then he had ever felt. He wasn't scared per-say, he was just glad that none of his siblings were here. He had made sure that they were in Professor McGonagall sights before he took off to help. As he turned the next corner he could see down the hall, bright red liquid was coming in his direction and he was all set to turn around and run the next way when he heard a small cry.

"Christoper, come here," he said firmly. He recognized the first year Hufflepuff muggleborn student from anywhere. The boy who had brown hair, tended to blend into the background was no curled into a ball on the windowsill.

"I can't," Chris whispered out. He really couldn't, he had been alone for the longest time and thought that no one would find him. He wasn't hurt but he couldn't make his body move, having frozen in his fright. He was right in front of the window so he could see the lava and all of his destruction.

"Yes you can, come here. We have to get out of here," Percy told him impatiently, one eye still on the lava creeping down the hall.

"I can't move, I don't know why!" He sniffled out distressed over the whole thing.

Percy sighed before he made his way towards the boy. "It's okay to be scared, I understand that," he said as he hurried over to the middle of the corridor where the boy was currently at. His heart thudded as he looked at the lava, it was more closer to Chris then where he himself had been standing. He shook the fear away before he reached out for the boy. "Come on, we gotta get out of here," he told him urgently.

"I'm scared," Chris replied, still refusing to move. He had been here for an hour and it was starting to feel safe. He didn't see the lava from where he was currently sitting with his face in his knees,

"I know you're scared, but I will protect you. So come on we have to leave now!" Percy told him before he just reached over to pick him up. He startled as the boy suddenly screamed and the older teen looked at him in alarm.

"I fell earlier, and everyone was running and some of them stepped on me. My foot and my arm hurts," he whispered out painfully.

"Well I'll take you to the infirmary but right now we need to get out of here," Percy stressed. He had been refraining from looking back to check the lava, because he knew it was getting closer and closer each passing minute, and if he chanced a look back he knew he would be overwhelmed in panic.

"Okay," Christ replied before reaching for the older teen.

Percy sighed in relief, as he carefully picked up the small boy. He knew that he had taken much more time then he planned but that didn't fully register how long until he looked and he could see the lava was on them. He quickly pulled himself in the alcove with Chris and swore earning a look of shock from the small boy.

"It's gonna be okay," he told him softly as the lava rushed passed them. He knew they were safe for now, but he didn't know how long they had as the heat from the lava was getting to be unbearable all in the span of a few seconds. He made sure that his cloak was covering the small first year up as he hugged him to his chest.

"How are we going to get out here?" Chris asked fearfully.

"I don't know, but I will get you out, make no mistake about that," Percy told him firmly as he looked around. He could pull out his wand but he couldn't levitate the small boy forever so that plan was out as the lava was quickly making its way down the hall. If he didn't so anything now, they would be stranded and would no doubt die. And he couldn't have that, he was a Gryffindor where there was a will there was a way. He stood up as best as he could on the windowsill and held the boy tight. "

"Chris I need you to do me a favor, hold on tight and shut your eyes. Whatever you do, don't let go until I tell you too," Percy told him in a serious tone. He pushed the feelings back, knowing this was the only way but at the same time, couldn't believe what he was really about to do.

"What are you going to do?" Chris asked, though he did what he was told.

"If we stay here we die, but if I can make it, we'll live," Percy told him honestly.

Chris poked his head up to look and shook his head frantically. "It's too far!"

"No it's not, remember what I said," Percy said cutting the small boy off. He didn't want to lose his nerve when he knew what he had to do.

"I will," Chris replied as he buried his face back into the older boy's torso.

Percy took a breath before he jumped off the windowsill, as far as he could. There was a burning fire in his eyes, he was going to get Christoper to safety, because all he could think about was his younger siblings and hoped that if they were this situation someone would do the same for them. He found himself unable to hold in the blood-curdling scream that ripped from his throat as he landed mid knee in the hot burning lava.

The End.
End Notes:
I'm sorry about the cliffy
Chapter 7: The Will to Live by Severus Draconis Potter
Author's Notes:
First off, I would like to apologize for how incredibly long this update is. I hope you guys havent forgotten the story.

I'm getting back into the swing of things despite the fact that P&S is still messing up for me. I no longer recieve emails for some reason and it's pissing me off... so I dont even want to update here, but I have readers here so regardless this Chapter is up and here.

Percy's screams echoed around the empty corridors, his eyes tightly shut, as he tried to think through the intense pain he was feeling. His hold however never once wavered on the small boy who was whimpering in his arms. He had a mission to finish and he wouldn't fail. He forced himself to move one leg forward before doing it to the other. He was trying to move and give Chris a bit of distance so the child would have a chance to live and run away. He was too into his plight to hear the footsteps that were getting closer to them.

Fred and George had been checking into every classroom and closet they had passed in search of Harry. They had no type of clue where the small boy was but they knew how trouble followed him and on a day like today they didn't want to risk him anymore then they did Ron or Ginny. After all he was an honorary Weasley. They had just come from another empty classroom when they heard this scream that had them stopping in their tracks.

"That sounded familiar didn't it?" George asked quietly, fear seeping into his chest, at the implication of what that could mean. They knew that Ron didn't sound like that, and the voice he thought they heard was one he was used to hearing at home and he didn't want to dwell on what that type of scream might have meant.

Fred didn't answer, he didn't want to confirm that the scream sounded like their older brother. He didn't say anything to his twin, he just simply took off in the direction of where they had heard it. He didn't have to turn around to know that George was following him. His heart was thudding in his chest, and he hoped with all his heart that nothing was wrong. But judging how the screams were so close together he had a feeling that something was seriously wrong.

"Just hold on Perce, we're coming," Fred murmured as they ran as fast as they could towards the sound of their oldest brother's voice. What they saw when they turned the corner had them stopping in their tracks, eyes wide in horror as they both took in the grave situation. Fred gasped,oi his twins identical one echoing his as he felt his blood run cold.

*~*~*~Greenhouse#3~*~*~*~

Neville whimpered to himself as he held his wand shakily in his hand. He couldn't understand why this was happening nor how in the heck he was going to get out of this. He had been with the Care of Magical creatures but after Madame Pomprey had deemed him well enough he had left as soon as he could to visit his plants. He had allowed himself to get lost in his work and as a result was now facing the consequences of that.

He was sitting quietly on top of a green house that was currently holding steady but he didn't know how long it was going to stay that way. Especially as the lava was flowing steadily around it. It was luck and maybe a bit of help from one of the plants who had started screaming when the lava neared the green house; and it had alerted him that something was wrong. He had then climbed on the vines of the plant to the roof.

He looked mournfully below, some of the plants had natural protective barriers against fire and others didn't and he knew they were done for. He sighed, he had gathered the courage to summon a broom from the Quidditch pitch about a half hour ago but he couldn't make himself get on it and fly to safety. It wasn't just his fear of flying, he felt that he could overcome that, it was also his fear of all things that had to do with fire. He shuddered as he remembered an incident when he was 6.

His Uncle Algie had set his curtains on fire and had then locked him in the room, in hopes his accidental magic would flare up and save him from dying. It did obviously as he wasn't dead but it had also had the side effect of making him deathly afraid of anything to do with the element. He hated the charm's lesson when they were all practicing incendio.

He had ended up in the infirmary with a panic attack before Madame Pomprey had subscribed calming potions for him before every class until they had finished it. He had never been more thankful to get to a new lesson in charms before. He buried his face in his knees trying to get himself and his emotions under control and somehow summon that Gryffindor courage. He sighed, shaking his head, unsure of what he was going to do as he stared at the broom next to him dejectedly.

~*~*~*6th floor~*~*~*~*

"So what was the plan again?" Remus asked warily, wondering if he had heard wrong.

"We are going to take these broomsticks that Minerva has gotten from the Gryffindor Tower and fly down to the Slytherin Dungeons and evacuate the children through the window," Albus told the man patiently.

Remus nodded, inwardly he was shaking his head hell no. He wasn't a flier at all, the wolf in him didn't like being that high off of the ground but he knew that he had no choice in this. They needed to rescue the children.

Severus nodded as he opened the window, he stuck his head out before casting another bubblehead charm on himself, along with fireproofing his broom. The last thing he needed was to get hurt while he was rescuing his students. He sighed before expanding the window for a moment before he flew out of it. He waited for his other 3 companions to do the same to their brooms before he led the way to the lower part of the castle where he knew the Dungeons were.

He could see the lava and Hogwarts in all of it glory. The castle was literally surrounded by the hot liquid and he could see some of the trees in the forbidden forest were gone. He assumed that they had fallen and then covered in the burning liquid. He shook the thought away as they flew silently down to it. He hoped with all of his heart that his Slytherins were fine, before clearing his mind before he somehow ended up panicking.

"There is it, that's the window for my seventh years," Severus told them as they flew as one to the it. He took out his wand and opened it. The room was darker then it was outside as the smoke had risen and he could hear strangled coughs from inside.

"Do you see anyone?" Minerva asked worriedly as they got close.

Severus didn't say anything, his eyes trying but failing to locate the source of the coughing. "Whose in there?" He yelled out, hoping for a response, and sighing in relief when he got it.

"Professor!" Daphne screamed back before her head appeared in the window. She was coughing having inhaled some of the smoke, and her chest was on fire as it hurt to breathe. But all in all she was fine.

"Ms. Greengrass, it's so good to see you child," Albus replied a sigh of relief making it's way pass his lips as he hovered closer to the window.

"You too Headmaster," Daphne replied, words she had never thought she would say in her life. She found herself reaching for the man before turning back around to her friends who were all laying on the floor so they could breathe easier. "Get up guys, Professor Snape is here!" She told them before reaching for the Headmaster once more.

Severus watched as Albus swiftly pulled her onto his broom behind him and got her situated. He nodded to the old man, inwardly counting before frowning. "The wolf and I will each take two of the students," he told him.

He waited for the old man's nod before he flew away with the child on his broom, no doubt going back to his office to get her to safety.

Severus nodded as he turned to Minerva before he looked in the window at the expression's on his snake's face. He could see the fear, and grief on it which at the moment he couldn't understand why. He didn't have time to think on it, so he shook the thought away before he gestured for the woman to go ahead. "Bring me Ms. Parkinson," he requested urgently. He watched as the Slytherin boys hurried to comply and was rewarded when the girl appeared in the window. She was closed off, her entire face was blank but that wasn't what had him on edge. Her eyes were flowing freely with tears but she wasn't making a sound.

He wanted to know what was wrong but he couldn't afford to ask right now. They were already wasting time as it was, but he knew if they went any faster and rushed, someone could accidentally fall so they had no choice but to go slow and steady. Severus gestured to his colleague to grab the girl, and he hovered near them as she righted herself on the broom. He pulled away to move back towards the window when he swore his heart stopped for a moment when he heard a bit of their conversation.

"What's wrong my dear?" Minerva asked gently. She had the girl in front of her as she didn't believe that the child could hold on in her shocked state of mind.

"One of my friends are dead," Pansy replied eerily calm.

"Who?" Severus blurted out turning to look at her; his heart leaping into his throat at the implications of her ill timed words.

"Severus we don't have time for that, you can talk to her after," Minerva said frowning at his lack of tact. Although she too was feeling the dread in her own heart, especially if the child had witnessed it.

"Yes of course, you're right Minerva. Get her out of here." Severus stated urgently, but he couldn't stop thinking about which child had died. He guessed he would know when they pulled the remaining children out of the window.

Severus cleared his mind before hovering back towards the window. "The next person step up to the window so I can get you," he told them.

Theodore gestured to Blaize to go who was shaking his head, and glaring furiously at his best friend's burnt arm.

"You are going first," Blaize informed him.

"No I have to make sure that Vincent gets up, he's still rocking on the bed," Theo whispered as he pointed at their friend rocking on the bed. He hissed as he had accidentally pointed with his burnt arms and fingers.

"Wrong, Professor Snape! Theo is hurt, he's burned really bad!" Blaize yelled out, before turning to smirk at his friend who was glaring at him. They both knew they wouldn't ignore the commanding tone of their Head of House.

"To me Mr. Knott," Severus stated urgently, his tone barely able to cover up his worry. He didn't know how bad the boy had been truly burned but just judging from his snake's tone had him inwardly freaking out. He was rewarded when the boy appeared in front of him, pain and worry was etched on his face.

"I'm here Professor," Theo replied quietly as he stared up at the man. He looked to the ceiling unable to believe that they were being saved. He had thought all was lost to be honest, especially when the lava had taken Greg. He sniffled before reaching towards the man with his good arm.

"What happened child?" Severus asked gently as he picked him up as he carefully as he could and settled him on Remus's broom. He frowned as he took in the deep burns, his own medical knowledge, allowing him to know that they were very serious indeed.

"I was holding onto Greg," he replied, his lower lip trembling as his grief was threatening to overwhelm him.

"Why were you holding onto him?" Remus asked when Severus moved back towards the window. He knew without a doubt that the man was still listening.

"To help him from the lava. It started seeping under the entrance to the common room, and we were all sleeping," he choked out.

Remus felt like his throat closed up, and though he had a hunch this is who Pansy had been talking about, didn't make it any easier. He didn't want to voice this question but he knew he needed to ask it. "Was Mr. Goyle okay?" He asked his heart thudding loudly in his chest.

"No the lava, it covered him," Theo whispered out tearfully before turning his head into the man's chest.

Remus was visibly startled when the boy turned around, but more shocked when he found the boy sobbing into his chest. He was no stranger to comforting students, but never had he had to comfort a Slytherin. They stayed away from him, but from the way the child was clinging to him, he knew immediately that he would a cruel man to deny the child this.

"My god child," he whispered, arms instinctively coming to rub the boy's back. He looked over at Severus to find the man's expression unreadable, but he could see the grief and anger clear as day in the man's eyes.

"Get him out of here," Severus said gruffly, swallowing his own grief and firmly putting up his shields. Was there no end to this nightmare, to this madness? Was he destined to be too late for all the students? First Amanda and now Greg, he shook his head ruefully; glaring at the wolf who refused to be move.

"No, I'm staying. It's safer, just in case something goes wrong," Remus explained before frowning. The smell of sulfur had gotten thicker, so he knew that the lava was extremely close. "We need to get the other boys out of there!"

"I know," Severus replied before he hovered near the window again, and peeked in once more.

The air had gotten even denser from when he had gotten Theodore out of, and now he could only just see inside. He was rewarded for his efforts when Blaize appeared but the stubborn child refused to reach for him. He was all set to reprimand him for being stupid when the boy spoke up.

"Wait sir, you have to get Vincent first, something's really wrong with him," Blaize told the man fearfully.

Severus didn't need to ask what was wrong with the boy, as he knew as did everyone else when it came to the friendship between Gregory Goyle and Vincent Crabbe. You never saw one without the other, and if you did, you just knew that the other wasn't far from him. If the boy; (as he feared) had witnessed his best friend's death, he wasn't sure how the child would come back from that. He shook the thoughts away, he could think on this later, but right now he had two boys to save.

"Bring him to me, we will fix what's wrong with him later," Severus told him calmly.

"That's the thing Professor, I can't bring him to you. He won't move, or talk really. He hasn't said or done anything since we saw Greg..." he let the sentence drop but they both knew what he was talking about.

"I see," Severus said as he ran a hand through his hair. This was unsurprising to him really, but given the severity of the situation, he could not deal with it right now. There were lives at stake including his own, so it was a troublesome and also delicate situation. He sighed before he turned to look at Lupin who was now rubbing soothing circles in his snake's back.

"I'm going to have to go in and get Mr. Crabbe, who is in shock and unable to get out on his own," Severus told him quickly as he reached out to Blaize.

"Professor?" Blaize question as he slowly let the man grab him.

"I need you to stay on my broom and keep it steady, the lava is still rising and when I come out with Vincent, it's going to be pretty close to us," Severus explained as he hoisted the boy on his broom.

He brought the broom closer to the window before he slowly climbed inside. He was very thankful for his bubble-head charm as he could literally see the thick smoke in front of his face. He didn't even want to think about how it felt to be breathing it in. Thinking of which, he flicked his wand and pointed it at his student who was rocking on the bed. It was an eerie sight as the boy was making no type of sound, not even a whimper.

He noticed that the child didn't even seem to be aware that he was in the room, let alone that he could now breathe easier. He made his way to Vincent and stood in front of him, the tip of his wand lit so he could see into the boy's eyes. The child's eyes were clouded and unfocused, and Severus knew the boy was locked somewhere in his mind. He hurried over to the door, and gasped when he saw the lava seeping underneath the crack in the door. They were out of time! He swallowed thickly before gently albeit firmly shaking the child on the bed.

"Mr. Crabbe! Snap out of this! I know you can hear me and I know how you feel. But we need to get out of here!" Severus told him urgently, his eyes focused on the child but at the same time the lava that was making its way towards them. He snapped his fingers in front of the child's eyes, but he still didn't get a reaction, and after a moment he knew what he had to do. He flicked his wand at the boy throwing a featherlight charm on him before he picked him up.

He sighed, hoping that the child would be able to pull himself out of this depression he was now currently in. As he moved to run back to the window that is when the trouble started. The nearly catatonic child started screaming and thrashing about the moment he lifted him in his arms. Severus was unprepared for that and as a result he dropped the child back on the bed. He moved to pick the boy up and again he was pushed back for his troubles.

"Mr. Crabbe! Cease this at once we do not have time for this," Severus told him sternly, but inside his heart was thudding.

He knew they didnt have time for this or anything else really. He frowned as he stared at the screaming child. He pulled out his wand all prepared to stun him. It was looked down upon to stun an emotionally distraught child, but he would do it in a heartbeat, especially when it saved the child's life. As he moved to flick his wand, the rest of the trouble started. He heard a groaning noise from the bed frames as the ones closest to the lava started to break down. He simply levitated the hysterical child and started running back to the window. Vincent's bed had been the furthest from the window and the closest to the door so it had felt like forever to get to the window. Severus saw Blaize just outside the window on his broom and as he turned around to grab the levitating child, he was promptly kicked in the stomach for his efforts. He fell to the ground, the spell on the boy failing and he too landed on the floor.

As he reached to grab the child, so they could get out of there and then give the boy the sternest lecture of his life, he heard the groaning noise even louder this time and much more pronounced. He stood up slowly, and all was quiet for only a second as he held his breath. The only sound he could hear was the boy whimpering on the floor and his thudding heart. He turned towards the window when he felt Hogwarts starting to crumble where he stood. He gasped and reached for the boy once more only to get pushed away once again. He couldn't stun him not when he see the foundation of the floor opening for fear that the boy would topple straight into the opening.

"Vincent, come here now!" Severus screamed out, as he went for the boy. Somehow the child had ended up on the other side of the floor which was now divided in half.

"Not without Greg, I can't leave him here," Vincent muttered over and over again as he rocked in place.

"Gregory is here, with me the Headmaster's broom. You just have to come with me and I'll take you to him," Severus lied swiftly, he would do whatever it took to get his students to safety. Even if it meant lying about the fate of a child that they both knew was dead.

"You're lying, he's not there. He wouldn't have left me alone. How could he do that?" Vincent ask, as his frame started to shake as the sobs ripped out of his chest.

"He didn't do it on purpose Vincent, come here. We don't have time for this," Severus stressed as he moved to stun the boy and levitate him only to realize in fear that his wand was nowhere to be found.

He could see the bed's falling, and he knew as the boy inched closer to the whole in the floor that he had failed him. There was no reason with a grief-stricken person, who had watched his best friend perish in front of his eyes. Severus knew the pain the boy was feeling and how often had he been pulled away from the cliff when he had been about to kill himself. He shook himself out of his thoughts, ashamed that he had allowed himself to do that in a crucial time. He growled to himself before taking a running leap over the hole in the middle of the floor to stand next to the bewilder child.

"I know you are hurting, but killing yourself isn't going to bring him back. And I will not allow you to do this," Severus stated darkly as he lifted the boy up.

He was surprised to find that the feather light charm was still in effect, and he took that to his advantage. He hoisted the boy up over his shoulder and ran and jumped back the way he came. He could feel the floor crumbling under his foot, but he wouldn't be defeated. He tried hard to ignore the kicking and the pounding the boy was giving him for taking him against his will. He could see Blaize on the broom and shook his head.

"Lupin, switch with Blaize now!" Severus told him urgently as he looked behind him.

The smoke was so thick, it was only the bubble head charm that had him and Vincent conscious. He could see the werewolf visibly startle, and gently tried to push the boy in his arms away. He winced at the piercing shriek that he had no idea that Theodore could produce. He was at a loss at what to do, but unless they got out of this window they would die.

"Professor, what do you need me to do?" Blaize asked fearfully.

"Hold the broom as steady as you can, and do no let go for anything," Severus told him gravely, as he watched his Slytherin follow his orders.

Severus took a breath hoping the boy wouldn't fight, and had tired himself out. He could feel the bruised skin under his robes, but other then that the adrenaline was pumping throughout his body. As he moved to set Vincent out the window, the boy took advantage of the situation and threw himself away from he window and Severus. The big Slytherin landed on his back on the crumbling floor gasping for air.

"You foolish child!" He yelled out before he could help himself, growling as he moved towards the boy when the unthinkable happened.

Severus felt the floor underneath him starting to go, and he reached out for air. He could feel this intense rush of heat flooding his face before he was no longer standing, and he was reaching for the air. He hadn't even had a moment to ponder that he was falling when he felt an arm grab him by the wrist and pull him out of the window and onto the broom. He turned to look at Lupin incredulously, before both their gazes turned to the window when they heard this bloodcurdling scream from inside for only a moment before all was silent. Severus stared blankly ahead for a moment before his eyes flicked to Blaize who was still gripping the broom as he had told him.

"Let's go, we need to get the boys to safety," Remus said firmly, more authority in his voice that Severus had ever heard.

Severus could only nod as he adjusted himself on his broom, and after making sure that Blaize was still secure he followed Remus through the air. He couldn't allow himself to shut down, but he couldn't help thinking how he had failed those boys. How he had let them die. Why didn't he double check? The haunting questions tore at his heart, as they had no answer. He knew he would never get the last scream of Vincent Crabbe out of his head. Why didn't he stun him when he had the chance?

~*~*~*~*Headmaster's office~*~*~*~*

It was Draco who finally had enough. He couldn't believe that Potter had simply curled up like a cat and fell asleep in the chair. He was bored and he hated not knowing the fate of his friends, not to mention the blonde Slytherin was very much afraid. He wasn't sure what propelled him to do but he found himself in front of the Headmaster's desk in the book of the student's enrolled in Hogwarts closed in front of him. He was a 13 year old boy and he was curious, could one blame him. He turned the first page, wondering what he would fine.

"Oi! Malfoy get away from that. The headmaster could come back any second!" Ron told him in a shocked voice. "Are you mad?"

"Oh hush up Weaseley, I'm not doing anything. I'm just looking through the book," Draco said with a smirk before he chuckled. He wished he would get in trouble for opening a book. "What's so bad about....,"

Ron looked up as the Slytherin trailed off only to stand up in alarm, his gaze going back to his sleeping friend. "What's going on? What is it?" He asked, his heart leaping into his chest.

"This is the registry book for Hogwarts, it shows every student enrolled in at the moment. Some names are disappearing," Draco spoke in a quiet voice.

"So, what does that mean?" Ron asked carefully.

"Father says that when they disappear, they are either enrolled somewhere else, or dead," Draco said choking on a sob before he found himself turning the page. It was in alphabetical order, with the last name first. He had just turned the pages to see Vincent's Crabbe's name disappear from the page, and his stomach dropped.

Ron went to make a remark about the boy's father when he noticed the look of grief on the other teen's face. "Who did you see?" He whispered out.

"Crabbe is dead," Draco said in a monotone voice before he was flipping through the book again, hoping that none of his other friend's were in there. He didn't want to know but at the same time he felt he had to out of respect for them and their families.

Ron swallowed thickly, though there was no love lost between the Slytherin and himself, he felt horrible that someone HIS age had died in something so horrible. He ran over to the other side of the desk and pushed the blonde boy away.

"What the bloody hell Weasely?" Draco blurted out, his hurt giving way to anger as he was moved out of the way.

"Sorry, let me. I need to check on my brothers," Ron said frantically as he flipped through the pages. His motions were rushed and he was anxious at what he would find. He didn't really notice that Draco had stayed to the side anger gone just as soon as it came.

"Are they there?" Draco asked when it seemed like it was taking forever to get answers.

"The Weaseleys are always last," Ron muttered absently, ignoring the part of his mind that wanted him to check to see if his friend's were still alive. He would do that after, the twins had promised they would come back. And he needed to know if they were safe or not. As he made it to the W's he breathed a sigh of relief as he saw his own name. Of course he was still alive, as he came to the twins, theirs weren't the black color his had been, instead they were turning from black to red, and he was unsure of what that meant. He gasped as he looked at the next page before his eyes flicked to Draco's.

"What does it mean when the name is flickering?" He whispered out fearfully. He was very afraid to hear the answer.

Draco frowned as he glanced at the page before turning to look at Harry who still looked to be sleep, thankfully. He didn't want the other boy hysterical as he answered. "Fighting between life and death," he whispered.

Ron's breath caught, and his heart stopped for a just a moment, as he was unable to turn his eyes away from the flickering letters of his older brother's name. He didn't knpw what to do, and he was powerless to help him. He sent a silent prayer to whoever that Percy would be fine, but as his name continued to flicker even as it turned red he got very scared and backed away from the book.

The End.
End Notes:
What did you think? The fate of Percy is next chapter also we'll here more on Neville, and the Infirmary and everything. Man I forgot how intense this story was! But I love it, review as always you guys rock!
Chapter 8: We Believe in this Love by Severus Draconis Potter
Author's Notes:
You can thank Good Charlotte and and their song We Believe for this update. I couldnt get the song out of my head as I wrote it, so I listened to it the entire time I wrote this chapter. Good news guys, I'm halfway started with chapter 9, bad news if I'm so sorry for the ending...

Sirius looked at the little girl in his arms, who was trying hard to stay awake despite everything. He didn't want her to sleep either, it was easier to deal with their situation if the other one was awake. Not to mention, he was afraid that she wouldn't wake up given the shock she had just gone through. He gently shook her, chuckling a bit as he looked at the small pout that soon appeared on her face.

"I was trying to sleep Mr. Black," Amanda said with a huff, though she grinned when she saw the sour look on his face; after she said his name.

"No way kid, Mr. Black was my father. Me, well I'm just Sirius," he told her with a shake of his head.

Amanda giggled as she took in his expression, she was almost able to forget just how surreal everything was. She was not supposed to even be here, but thanks to the rugged man who was carrying her, she owed him everything. She looked around the empty hallway, as she shook away her thoughts, Hogwarts had never been this silent before it was just eerie and she shivered unconsciously.

"It is creepy isn't it," Sirius told her softly as he looked around himself.

They were going to the Headmaster's office, and though he knew he should be afraid he wasn't. The fact that the child in his arms was hurt, was enough to for his old Auror skills to come in. He needed to get her to Albus and then make sure Harry was safe. He had no doubt that some children had died today, but he refused to even think about that. He wasn't even thinking about his own problems, he just felt that maybe the Headmaster would listen to reason before immediately shipping him back to Azkaban; where he would no doubt receive the kiss.

"Very," she agreed softly, as she looked around. "I don't see any of the pets of the students either. Like Mrs. Norris would always be around, but I haven't seen her at all," she pointed out in confusion.

"It's because animals flee when danger is near, I wouldn't be surprised if the old cat got her and Filch out in time," Sirius said with a half of a smile.

Amanda nodded thoughtfully as she contemplated that. "That makes sense," she said before her eyes went wide and she let out a shriek.

Sirius had his borrowed wand pulled so fast, turning around in circles as he tried to find the reason of her sudden fear. "What is it? What did you see?" He asked her, tone serious his eyes alert for the unknown danger. His easy going mood was long gone, as he tried to figure out where the threat to them was.

She flushed, before staring at the ground in embarrassment as she looked over and pointed a few feet away from them what looked like a dead animal. "It's gross," she trembled fearfully.

"A rat, are you serious? It's dead honey, look," Sirius told her as he headed over to it, even as she hid her face in her hands.

He bent down to look at the poor thing when he noticed the graying fur around it, and then the missing toe, and he swore suddenly, wand coming out once more. Now that he was close he could see that the thing was indeed alive, it was just unconscious. He growled, he was planning on keeping it. He quickly stunned it, before focusing and conjuring a small cage and placing the animal in it.

"What are you doing? Eww!" Amanda scream, obviously frightened as he picked it up. She was after all still in his other arm, and she didn't want to be near the dead animal.

"I'm putting it in a cage," Sirius told her calmly. Though inside he was seething. The only thing that stopped him from killing the traitor Peter Pettigrew was that the little girl would already have nightmares of the horrors of today and he didn't want to add to it. He knew how much those sucked.

"Why are you keeping it then?" She asked, not at all liking this. "It's just a dead rat right?"

"No it's not. And this is evidence, I need this rat in exchange for my freedom," Sirius said as he placed the small cage in his pocket before shaking his head at the sudden luck that was going for him.

"I'm...I'm confused," Mandy said softly.

"I'll tell you once we get out of here," Sirius told her as he headed through a secret passageway to get off the main hallway. He wasn't about to let the sudden arrival of anyone get in the way of his freedom.

~*~*The Infirmary~*~*~*~

Madame Pompfrey was currently giving a stricken 4th year a vial of calming draught. The girl had rushed in about 45 minutes before with a extremely burnt first year. She hadn't even been able to deduce which house the poor child had been in as his robes, were all but gone. It had taken her a bit of time but she had stabilized him, though she knew he would need to go to St. Mungos and soon. She was startled from her musings when she heard the scream from Ginerva Weasley, and the matron whipped her head around to see smoke around the door frames. Merlin! She had forgotten to reapply the protective measures over the infirmary once she had let the other children in. The woman hurried over to the door, or what was left of it as the doors were gone, and the lava was making it's way inside. She placed her hand's on the wall, only to find that Hogwart's defenses had fallen with the entrance doors. She knew without a doubt that her office was their best chance. She had a bit of floo powder and she could get some students to safety but not all of them and that tore her to her very core.

"Oh Merlin! What are we going to do?" Ginny yelled out hysterically, when it seemed the Medi-Witch had gone silent.

That was the push she needed and Madame Pompfrey snapped into action. "Alright listen up children! I need all my able-bodied students to grab an injured one and run into my office. It's going to be a tight fit, but it will do. I will try to floo as many as you out as I can," she told them, with authority in her voice that would make even Snape proud.

She watched as they all ran to obey her words, and she followed after them, conjuring up a small brick wall to slow the the lava down, as they all rushed into her office. It was a second year Slytherin who had grabbed the floo powder and ran over to her. She was making sure that she had all her students inside the cramped office.

And when she closed the door, she could see her brick wall crumbling. She placed her hand on the wall, willing the magic to protect them, and she was able to breathe a small sigh of relief as she felt the warmth coming from Hogwarts. She would protect them, but Poppy didn't know how long that protection would last, and that's what scared her the most.

~*~*~*~*Headmaster's Office~*~*~*~*~

Harry wasn't sure how long he had slept, or how long his Professor's had been gone. All he knew was one minute he was sleeping peacefully and the next thing he knew the door to the Dumbledore's office busted open which sent the little boy into a panic. He didn't see the horrified and startled looks of his Professor's nor the wary and defensive positions that both Draco and Ron had taken as he dove for cover underneath his Headmaster's desk.

"What the heck?!" Draco screamed out, his heart pounded fast in his chest as he took in the people. He could hear the red head boy next to him, own frantic breathing.

"I'm sorry about that boys, we did not mean to scare you," Albus told him in a gentle voice as he looked around his office sadly. He didn't bother to ask Harry to come out, if the harsh breathing was any indication the child didn't feel the least bit safe right now. The still moment was broken however a moment later when Draco heard his name being called.

"Draco!" Pansy screamed out before rushing over to the boy and burying her face into his shoulder.

The Slytherin was too into his shock and concern at the situation to push the girl away, especially when he felt her tears soaking into his robes. "Pans, what's the matter? Are you hurt?" He asked softly.

"No, it's Greg, he-he-he died," she cried out tearfully.

Draco nodded, a fresh wave of hurt washing over him. He had known that Greg was dead when he saw the name disappear in the book but hearing it was different and he didn't like it. He hated this feeling, he felt so helpless and so very angry. But there was no one to blame this time, no one but himself. It was his idea to hide there, and now one of his friend's were dead. He felt his mind slip into a bit of a shock state, and he didn't see the Headmaster gently pulling the girl off of him nor and flooing both her and Daphne out of the castle and too safety.

Ron was looking at the Slytherin mournfully, jerking back when the door opened once more. He gasped at the sight that he saw. Remus was holding onto a badly burnt Theodore Nott, who didn't seem to be pushing him away.

"We need to get him to a healer and fast, every moment we waste, we risk the damage to his hand becoming more permanent," Remus told him seriously. "He could lose all function in that hand or worse, lose the whole hand." The men both knew with that amount of damage, potions nor magic would be effective, and he knew the child didn't deserve this.

"Take him to St. Mungos Remus," Albus replied in the same tone. "Make sure that he get's the proper care,"

"I can't do that Headmaster, I can't leave Harry," Remus said.

"Now is not the time for that, Severus will keep him safe. As will I, take the boy and go Remus," Albus said as grab the canister of floo powder.

Remus nodded before giving both the now silent boys a good hard look. "You take care of Harry, you hear me?" He told them in a firm voice, waiting until they nodded before he disappeared in the flames.

Severus rushed into the office, just in time to see his Snake and Lupin leave and he turned to look at Draco and then at Ronald who had a contemplative look on his face. He set Blaize down, he had injures but they weren't as severe as Theodore's had been. The man's eyes flashed to his mentor's, refusing to look at Draco who seemed to be wanting to ask something he so desperately didn't want to answer.

"Where's Vince?" Draco asked softly, his voice catching as he realized he had seen everyone come in but him.

Albus also turned around, the hard look Severus was giving him, now making sense, and it broke the old man's heart to know that one more of his precious children had perished. If only they had been warned? Why was this happening? He took a seat in his chair with a grieved sigh, looking down finally at the frightened child underneath his desk. "Won't you come out of there Harry?" He asked quietly.

But Draco wasn't having any of that, he didn't like being ignored, I mean who did? "Where is Vincent?" He repeated, his voice cracking on his words as no one seemed to be talking.

"Where's Minerva, Albus?" Severus asked ignoring the boy for a moment as he didn't see his colleague anywhere.

"She went to see if any of the student's were still in their towers," Albus answered truthfully.

Draco looked from both men, his eyes unconsciously filling with his tears. They weren't answering him, that must mean that Vincent was dead then huh? That couldn't be right could it? He looked up despite the fact that he was always told tears were a weakness and that if one must cry do it in private. He didn't care right now that they could see them, they were going to answer him. He needed to hear this, even if he knew in his heart. He needed the closure, or he would always wonder the truth even if his heart knew it or not.

"Answer me!" He screamed out, once could hear the agony in the tone.

Harry flinched hard at the scream, but he felt for the blonde boy. He couldn't understand just why he felt so safe under the desk. Maybe because it resembled his cupboard and nothing could hurt him there. He felt it here, even more so now that Snape was here. The only reason he wasn't running to the dark haired man because Harry knew that the Potion's Master didn't really like him

. He wasn't something of Snape's, so he had no claim on him. And it hurt, he himself couldn't understand the attachment he had to the man. He peeked through the small hole in the desk to see the blonde Slytherin's shoulders starting to shake and Ron staring at him in horror.

"Where is Vince?" Draco repeated tearfully. "Tell me you bastard!" He yelled out, his hand itching for his wand but the headmaster had yet to give it back.

Severus occluded the feeling away as best as he could, he knew this was the grief talking. As he had never heard Draco speak to him in this much disrespect. He knew the child wasn't to blame; but this he knew would never be easy news to give or to receive.

"Vincent died Draco, he fell through the floor as I was reaching for him," he told the boy in a gentle tone. He used their first names because contrary to belief he did have a heart. He looked at his 3rd year, he could see him processing his words and then shaking his head in denial. He was honestly ready for more screaming but he was slightly unprepared for the fists that started pounding into his torso and stomach area from the child.

"You're lying! How could you say something like that? Vince isn't dead, I just saw him! He's alive, you bastard!" Draco screamed out over and over again his fists pounding into the man as hard as he could.

He could hear the gasps of Ron next to him, but he didn't care. He couldn't stop himself, he just knew his friend wasn't dead. It was too much for him to take in at one time so he was lashing out the only way he knew how.

"He's not, oh Merlin, he's not!" Draco lashed out angrily, his tears clouding his vision as they poured freely out of his eyes.

"Draco, Draco, stop. I know you're hurting, but it is true," Severus told him gently, his hands going to restrain the fists as they were starting to cause pain.

He held the boy tight, even as the child fought against him to let go. But he didn't let go, he held onto him, until the child finally stopped throwing himself at him and instead started cry. A gut wrenching sob poured out out of the child's body. The sound of it tore at the man's heart, this was what he hadn't wanted at all. He stood there trying to console the child, his free hand reaching into his robe for a calming potion. He could not do with the hysterics right now. Especially when he could see the betrayal in Lily's green eyes as they stared silently at him, and he wasn't sure just what had caused them.

He spoke soothing words to the crying child, before simply lifting up Draco's chin and pouring the potion right in. He hugged the boy once more waiting for it to take effect, his dark eyes weary but he gave no thought to himself as he focused on his Slytherin. He wasn't sure how much time had gone by, but he knew it had to be a couple of minutes before he gently pulled Draco back from his robes. No words were needed and he knew once the potion wore off, that that had only been a taste of what was truly to come. He turned his gaze to the red head who had been silent all of this time, only to find the boy giving him a critical look from his seat.

"Draco please go take a seat next to Ronald, I have to get Harry from underneath the desk," Severus told him quietly. If he was expecting a response he didn't get it, as the child quietly got up and took a seat next to his classmate. He could see the boy rocking on the couch, and he longed to comfort him, but at the moment it was not the time. He made his way over to the headmaster's desk, the man who had been silent the entire time Draco had broken down pushed back from the desk.

"Harry if you would come out now? I think Severus would like to have a word with you," Albus told him gently.

Harry frowned unsure of what Snape wanted with him. He had already proven to him that he was second best, he had always been and he would always be. He had no one, so he knew he should just suck it up and get over it. Something in him however didn't want to listen and he found himself scooting out of the desk before he had thought about it. He felt exposed when he got out of his hiding spot, and chose to keep his gaze on his feet. That way he didn't have to see the repulsion in the man's eyes when he looked at him.

"Harry look at me, what's wrong?" Severus asked roughly, before clearing his throat.
"Nothing sir," Harry mumbled out before turning to the Headmaster. "When do I floo out of here?" He asked the old man.

"When we leave. I know what you're thinking but you are still Harry Potter and regardless of what happened today, out there there are still people who wish to get you and hurt you," Albus told him truthfully.

"Couldn't I go with Ron and stay with him and his family then?" Harry asked curiously.

"You could if the Burrow had the proper protections on them, but they do not," Albus replied before nodding to the blonde boy who had leaned back into the couch. "You are aware of who his father is, am I correct?"

"Yes sir," Harry replied glumly. "I guess I'm going back to the Dursely's then?" He asked sadly, not at all surprised. He knew it would come to this, it had always come to this, he just didn't think it would be so soon.

"No!" Severus blurted out before Albus could speak. "You are NOT going there, you will stay here with me, until I leave and then I will take you somewhere safe," he promised him fiercely.

Harry shrugged, he didn't actually believe that but he had the common sense not to voice it. He sighed before staring at his shoes. "Then what are we going to do then? Are we going to have to stay up here?"

"No, I will stay up here with Mr. Malfoy and Mr. Weasely, while Severus and you go see if you can find any other students," Albus told him truthfully. He turned to see the red head's mouth open like he wanted to protest but that wasn't what came out of the boy's mouth.

"The book showed that Percy's name was red, and that the twins were turning red as well. If you could find them Professor?" He asked pleadingly.

"I will do my best Ronald," Severus told him as he held a hand out to Harry. He noted the child looked at it warily before he grabbed it. He was unsure of what brought on his change in behavior but he would ask about that once they were alone.

"Be safe my boys," Albus told them.

"We will, I will protect him with every fiber of my being," Severus promised before he and Harry exited the office.

Harry headed down the steps, looking up at the man who seemed unsure of what way to go, when they entered the hallways. It was so quiet and he pressed himself closer to his Professor's side, promising himself he was gaining no comfort from this. "Which way are we going sir?"

"I'm not sure," Severus replied carefully. He wasn't sure where to start, he wished he had a map of some sorts. He blew out a breath, he didn't want to go right, only to to be aware later that left was the correct choice.

Harry let the man ponder that in silence as he waited silently at his side. He put his hand's in his pockets to make sure that his prize possessions that he had shrunk earlier were in them. His photo album, invisibility cloak and the Marauders map was present and accounted for. It took him about a half of a moment before gasping loudly, attracting the attention of his teacher who was staring at his warily.

"What's wrong Harry?" Severus asked seriously.

"Nothing, but I can't believe I forgot! I have a map we could use Professor!" Harry said obviously excited about his find as he pulled the shrunken parchment out of his pocket.

Severus was staring at the shrunken item in confusion, unable to comprehend just why that Harry was getting excited over a blank little parchment paper. "Just what are you planning on doing?"

Harry grinned as he pulled his wand free, the Headmaster had never taken his, for some reason he didn't know. He unshrunk the item before whispering the password. He could hear his teacher gasp and turned up and showed the man a proud smile. "This can help up right?" He asked told the man excitedly.

"Merlin, this will definitely help us," Severus told him as he awkwardly read over slight teen's shoulder. He couldn't really see anything at this angle, and he longed to grab the map and see for himself, but he made due, especially considering the smile Harry was now giving him. "See if you can find the Weasleys,"

Harry's eyes roamed the map, his young eyes tracking Amanda Flint's name first, but she wasn't alone. He frowned as he read the name Sirius Black, knowing a bit about him, along with Peter Pettigrew. They hadn't hurt her, so what did that all mean? He shook his head promising to come back to it later, before focusing on the Weasleys knowing his teacher hated to wait. "I found them! They're by the Charm's classroom!" He told the man, pointing them out.

"Then off we go," Severus told him as Harry quickly put up the map. He grabbed the boy's hand and they took off at a run towards that part of the castle.


~*~*~*~Somewhere near the Charm's Classroom~*~*~*~

Fred Weasely had considered a lot of things, while he went to Hogwarts. He knew that immediately after they were done with their schooling that he and his twin brother was opening a joke shop. He knew that his mum loved them all but that she had a special place in her heart for each and every one of them. And he also knew that no matter how pompous one Weasely got, in the end they were still family. Which is why he forced himself to swallow the fear and the bile that was currently coming up his throat as he really took in the scene.

He couldn't hear his twin, but he knew without a doubt that George was trying to figure out how they were going to do this. He could see that Percy didn't even seem to be aware that they were in front of him, but they were going to change that. They also knew that even if they saved their brother from the lava, unless he got immediate attention it would all be for naught. He forced his emotions away, he needed to keep a clear head. He watched his brother walk through the lava, as best as one could, the little boy hanging on him for dear life. But the lava was unyielding. They couldn't just stand there, they had to do something.

"Percy! You can do this, come on big brother!" George finally yelled out, he couldn't stand here and be silent any longer.

The older Weasely's head jerked in the direction of his brother's his face was redder then his hair, and had tears constantly running from his eyes. "Catch Chris, oh god this hurts! You have to catch him!" He screamed out, his voice nearly hoarse from how long he had been screaming.

"NO! We have to get you out too," Fred yelled out.

"Forget about me! Get Chris out of here," Percy choked out, before turning to look at the frightened child in his arms. "Chris, I need you to listen to me," he said his face cracking as the pain registered. He had been fighting the feeling, but he couldn't anymore, and it was to much to handle.

"What is it?" Chris sniffled out softly.

"I'm going to throw you to my brothers, and I know that's a scary thought but they will catch you," Percy said making poor attempt at a joke.

"No, not without you!" Chris told him anxiously. "I don't want you to die!"

"I will be right behind you, but once they catch you. I need you to run. As fast as you can, run to the Headmaster's office. Do not look back do you hear me?" Percy told him firmly.

"I understand," Chris answered sadly. The first year wasn't dense, he didn't want to let go of the boy, but this was out of his hands. He didn't want the older boy to die. "You'll be right behind me right?"

"I'll be right behind you," he promised, ignoring the stinging in the back of his eyes and the bitter taste of the lie on his tongue. "Okay, get ready and release my robes and shut your eyes tight," Percy instructed.

Chris nodded and swallowed thickly before obediently closing his eyes.

"Guys, you'd better catch him," Percy told him before he swung him with the last of his strength and tossed him over the lava. It seemed like the moment went in slow motion, his whole body pins and needles until he landed safely in the arms of George.

George breathed a sigh of relief as he caught the little boy before he put him down. "Go run! Now! Do as Percy says!" He told the first year.

Chris gasped on a sob when he was on the ground, and he had the sense to take off down the hall at a dead run, never looking back as he promised the older boy. The only thing keeping him from turning around was that Percy promised, everyone knew you didn't make promises you couldn't keep.

Fred turned back to his brother once Chris was gone and look at the lava, the boy only had maybe about five feet or so before he met the stone floor of Hogwarts. The lava wasn't rushing as fast and they for one was grateful. The only problem was they could see their brother, and he seemed to be giving up.

"Percy, don't you dare give up! Mum would kill us if anything happened to you!" Fred said as he looked around for something, anything to help them.

"What does it matter, I'm just another one of the Weasely boys. If anything you should be happy. I know what you really think of me," Percy told him, with a choked sob.

"We kid around Perce, that's what siblings do. I don't hate you I never have, and you don't get to do this. You don't get to give up and decide that you're going to die. You were put in Gryffindor for a reason, you're braver then this and you will fight this. I'm not letting you give up," Fred stated angrily, his eyes smarting with tears but he had to keep it together. He had to be strong for all of them.

Percy looked at his brother wearily. "I've got no more fight left in me Freddy," he told him weakly as he swayed on his feet. He had long since lost the feeling in his feet and his legs. He wasn't even sure they were even there, let along how he was even staying up. The pain at the moment was hardly registering, he could feel it in his core that he was dying. He only wished that his younger brothers hadn't been here to see this.

"Don't you dare fall!" George screamed out fearfully as he hastily conjured up some wooden planks and set them on the ground.

The moment they touched the lava they burnt into ash, and he groaned. They were in way over there heads, they couldn't levitate him because something told them that wouldn't be a good idea. They had no idea what the state of his legs were in, and they were quickly running out of time.

The End.
End Notes:
Next Chapter is really intense, you get to see the Fate of Percy and Theodore Nott, What becomes of Sirius and Amanda, The infirmary, and how Neville is doing, a few of the other things. It's a hell of a chapter, and I'm so glad you guys have stuck with me on this ride. :)
Chapter 9: The Definition of Bravery by Severus Draconis Potter
Author's Notes:
Hope you guys enjoy it, the story is coming full circle a bit. As various characters are meeting and such. I hope you enjoy it...well parts of it.

Oh yeah and in an interview with JK Rowling she confirmed that Dean Thomas wasnt a muggleborn. She said his father was a wizard that had been killed by death eaters and he never knew him. So he always thought he was a muggleborn as his mother hadnt known the man was a wizard.

There is a few grammer mistakes...sorry I dont have a beta, and it's not really possible for me to get one. I tend to do horrible when I feel pressured to write.

Severus slowed down a bit, when it seemed that his pace was too much for the child, who he could hear was gasping on his breath and a bit further from him then he liked. "Do you need me to carry you Harry?" He asked, not mincing his word.

"I can..I can do it," he panted out tiredly, even as his legs burned. His injures weren't healed, and he was still weak from the lack of food; but his pride was speaking.

"I know you can, but we have to hurry. I don't know what state Mr. Weasely is in," he reminded him carefully.

"Alright, you can carry me then," Harry relented as he he stopped running and reached for the man.

Severus stopped and hoisted the boy up before transferring him to his back; piggy back style.

"Hold on tight," he said as he took off at a run towards the charm's classroom.

The only sound was their breaths in the hallways and Severus's feet on the stone floor, Hogwarts was never meant to be this silent, even in the summer it never sounded this still. He turned the last corner and nearly bumped into a child. The boy didn't seem to see him, and continued to run away. Severus didn't have time to think on that situation as he could hear screaming and his heart dropped into his throat at the implications of what he was currently hearing. He glanced over his shoulder at the child whose face shown the fear that Severus knew all to well.

"I'm going to deafen you Harry, because you don't need to hear any of this, and I would blind you but that would leave you powerless. Do me a favor and listen to me just this once?" He requested as he stared at the child.

"I will sir," Harry promised, wanting to be good. He had liked the look the man had given him when he had shown him the map. Like he was proud of him for being useful and he didn't want to mess that up.

"Good boy," Severus told him as he turned around and set him on top of a suit of arms, who only moved his arms to accommodate the child. "Do not move," he told him firmly before he spelled the child's ears and headed further down the corridor. What he saw had him closing his eyes sadly, the children just could not catch a break today.

He ran towards them, not interrupting one of the twins, who seemed to be lecturing his brother on not dying. He didn't care what they were talking about as long as the child was speaking. He nodded making sure the twins were back and out of harms ways before throwing a powerful freezing charm on the lava, he knew it wouldn't last forever but it would bide them the time they needed.

He froze the lava behind, in front, and all around the boy who was much to calm for his liking. He knew it had to be the shock, this was to much for his system, but he had to do this, to save the child's life. Just like in battle, sacrifices had to be made. Once the lava, was thoroughly frozen over, he hurried over to the boy, cutting the ice around the boy and lifting him up, he could see mother nature, working against magic and he hurried off of the ice and back onto the stone floor.

"Run," he told them, as he levitated Percy and hurried down the hall. He knew the ice would preserve the rest of the nerves in the boy's legs, but with the extreme heat he had undergone, he wasn't sure how this was going to be effective.

He gestured for George to grab Harry and once they were a way's away he stopped turning back to his patient. Percy Weasely had gone silent, and it was only a finger to the side of the neck that showed Severus that he was breathing; but just barely. He nodded to himself, before taking off the pendant he had around his neck. It was an emergency Port key, Albus had given it to him in the last war, and once there was signs of the Dark Lord returning he had resumed wearing it. He wrapped the child's hand's around it, before whispering the password and scooting back. The boy disappeared with a small pop and all was quiet.

"Where did you send him?" George asked as he looked at his Professor.

"To St. Mungo's the emergency ward, the wards would4 have triggered the minute he flooed in. They will help him, more then I ever could," Severus told them quietly as he reached for Harry. He canceled the spell, but the little boy wisely stayed quiet.

"Thank you for saving our brother Professor," Fred said thickly.

"He's not out of the woods just yet, you as well as I know that magic cannot fix everything," Severus told them gently.

"We know, but without you, he would have died right there in front of us," George told him.

Severus gave a curt nod. "I think it would be best, if you both headed to the Headmaster's office. Ronald is extremely worried about you," he told them.

"Ron's still here? He was supposed to floo home," Fred said frowning before nodding to his twin.

"Yes he's still here, Albus will floo all of you home. Molly is more then worried about you all," Severus replied.

"At least Ginny is safe," George said with a sigh.

Severus bit his lip before shaking his head. "Not quite. Ginerva if you recall was one of the ones who headed up to the Infirmary earlier. And I have not heard any reports about anyone up there, least of all Poppy. When you see Albus, don't forget to mention the infirmary," He told them seriously.

"We will sir, and we really do thank you for saving our brother," Fred repeated.

They were still in shock from the whole ordeal, and didn't bother to ask why Harry was with Snape, and why the boy wasn't complaining about being in the presence of the potion's Master. Severus watched them ruffle the fondly ruffle the child's hair before they took off down the hall at a run.

Severus sighed, as he tried to occlude the emotions and memory away. He would never forget the things he had seen today, the way the boy looked. He tried not to think on it to closely, but he honestly couldn't see Percy Weasley coming out of this with both his legs. They had been a mangled mess of skin and bone. He only hoped however that the boy would live. As neither of those boys deserved to have guilt on their hearts for something that was out of their control.

~*~*~*~The Greenhouse~*~*~*~*

Neville was unsure of just how much time had passed, he was afraid of casting a tempus charm on the chance that he would drop his wand in the lava. He watched helplessly as the Greenhouse that held the muggle plants succumb to the lave. The one of the mixture between muggle and magical plants seemed to be faring okay, but he knew that one too would burn. As for the one he was sitting on top of, well he didn't think that magic had a chance against mother Nature, at least not today.

He looked at the broom next to him, before he swallowed deeply and stood up. His mother and Father had been strong wizards and they sacrificed themselves so that he might live. His eyes watered, he didn't want to die, he was too young. And he couldn't leave his Gran alone in this world, not to mention for once in his life he wanted to make her proud. He nodded to himself, for the first time knowing just why he was put into Gryffindor. He could and would do this, to save himself. He mounted the broom, a sense of calm washing over him like a wave, as he had never felt this way on a broom.

Taking one last glance around he leaned down on the handle and the broom shot forward. His eyes closed for a second before he opened them, and he found himself flying effortlessly towards the castle, a small smile of pride on his face.

"I really am a Gryffindor," he whispered softly to himself making sure to stay high enough off of the ground so his broom wasn't at risk of getting burned.
The fear of burning to death like the Greenhouse was enough to push the fear out, and then entered his determination and his will to survive. He felt the wind blowing through his hair, his eyes actively searching to see where he could fly through one of the windows as he came close to the castle. He looked long and hard at the walls, trying to see where they're might be an opening before he saw something that nearly made his heart stop. He could see someone on the ledge of one of the Hogwart's windows. Narrowing his eyes, Neville flew straight for them, afraid that they would fall before he got there.

~*~*~*~The Window Ledge*~*~*~*~*~

Dean Thomas was in a state of shock and almost in a panic as his brain tried in vain to process what just happened only moments ago. He is in so much denial and grief and pain and he almost cannot deal with it. How could this day just have gone so incredibly wrong? He gripped the ledge with both of his fingertips, his feet only mildly stable, and he knew one wrong move, a sneeze or a cough and he would fall.

He could see the 7th year girl reaching for him. He had no idea what her name was, only that the crest on her robe told him that she was in Slytherin. He couldn't understand why she of all people was helping him. He was only a half blood, who hadn't even known of his heritage until he got the letter of acceptance from Hogwarts 2 years ago.

He was so very afraid to let got of the ledge and reach up to her, so afraid that once he did his other hand wouldn't hold his weight. Or what if she let go? He didn't know that she didn't care about houses right now, only that he didn't fall to his death. He choked on his breath at that thought, death had always been something you experienced when you were older.

Sure he had heard about children dying but never someone close to him. He blinked his eyes hard trying but failing to get the image out of his head from only 10 minutes prior. He knew without a doubt that he would never in his life forget it. He and Seamus had run to higher ground but they had stopped for a moment because a section of the castle has started to collapse and they had only just made it into an empty classroom. He blinked his eyes tightly once more trying to block the memory.

#Flashback#

"You think we're safe now? They have to be coming for us right?" Dean had asked worriedly as he tried to catch his breath.

"Or course the Headmaster knows where everyone is at any given moment in the castle," Seamus had told him with a sure tone. But if one looked closely they could see the fear in the Gryffindor's eyes even as he tried to reassure his friend that everything was okay.

"So we just wait then? What about the lava? It's still rising," Dean pointed out softly, his eyes flickering to he blocked door. He hugged his torso trying to get a grip on his shaking frame, he was so afraid. He didn't seem them getting out of here, and he didn't want to die. He was the man of his house, who would take care of his mom or his sister if he was gone?

"We have no other choice the entry way is blocked. And besides Hogwart's is magic, we'll be safe, the Headmaster said so," Seamus said softly, his voice lacking the conviction it had earlier when they had both heard from the man that day in the Great Hall.

Dean had stayed quiet, not wanting to be the pessimist, but knowing they both knew that Mother Nature didn't care and had penetrated Hogwarts already. He had slid down on the wall and buried his face into his knees, hoping help would arrive soon. Dean knew they couldn't stay here forever, it just wasn't realistic. No sooner had the words crossed his mind, he heard Seamus gasp, his neck cracking as he turned sharply to look at his friend.

His friend's face seem devoid of all color his eyes fixated on one thing. With his heart thudding in his throat, he looked towards the debris that used to be a doorway and saw the stones steaming, before the red liquid started to seep through. He quickly got to his feet, looking around the empty room widely. They were trapped with no where to go.

"What do we do? We're gonna die," Dean cried out desperately. "I don't want to die!"

Seamus turned to stare at his friend unseeingly almost, the fear seemed to be too much for him. He managed to swallow once to look at his best friend before he turned towards the window and pointed out it. "We can get out the window," he whispered out already hurrying towards it.

Dean didn't need to be told twice he didn't bother to think about which floor they were currently on. All he knew was that the room was now incredibly warm, and they needed to get out and fast.

As he watched Seamus opened the window, Dean felt himself let out a loud gasp of horror as he saw just how high they were. He swallowed thickly, the fear threatening to overwhelm him and Dean turned to Seamus

"You first mate," he told him quietly.

Seamus had been shaking his head in disbelief, fear had his frozen and unable to move. He couldn't make himself go out on the ledge, he felt paralyzed in his fear. He couldn't move, he could barely breath it seemed like. "No you first," he whispered out harshly.

Dean shook his head quickly. "It was your idea, you go," he said softly.

Seamus sighed loudly. "You first Dean, there's no use arguing over this. I will be right after you," he told him, hoping that by the time his friend had went that he would have gained the courage to climb out the window.

Dean made to protest but a loud hiss had him turning around sharply before nodding. They needed to get out of this classroom. He took a breath before moving one of the chairs in front of the window and climbing on it. The mantra 'don't look down', was constantly playing in his head.

The ledge wasn't big enough for his feet, and he knew it was dangerous. But they had no choice. He blinked hard, as a rush of emotion hit him before he slowly but surely made his way on the ledge. He was breathing heavily, but he made it and turned back to look at Seamus.

"Your turn Seam, just do what I did and you'll be fine," he panted, a bit tired from that overexertion and then having to hold himself up like this on the ledge. He was hanging on by his fingertips and then his tippy toes, he was so very afraid. He had never been in a position like this before in all of his life. Dean watched his friend firmly shake his head, and too a moment for the Gryffindor to understand, just what that meant.

"What do you mean no? Get up here! Seamus, the lava is nearly one you," Dean cried out, his voice cracking on the end of his sentence.

"No Dean, I can't move. I can't make myself get out there. I'll be okay, just try to scoot over alright," Seamus told him, his eyes filling with tears. He wanted to get out of this room, it was becoming stifling and he didn't have to turn around to see that the lava was directly behind him. He stood on the a chair, his fear filled gaze looking back at his horrified friend's.

"Seamus, you can't do this, I'm coming back for you then," Dean told him firmly, as he started ever so slowly trying to scoot back.

But Seamus knew what he was doing and he knew that he couldn't allow Dean to come back. He shook his head and shakily took off the irish locket around his neck. As soon as his friend as scooted close enough to the window he shoved it at him before he slammed the window shut and flicked the lock. He bit his lip fearfully, as he watched his friend pound the glass of the window pane.

"No! No! Seamus don't do this, unlock the window!" Dean had screamed, his eyes would never forget the scene of his best friend being burned to death.

#End Flashback*

Dean blinked his suddenly watery eyes, turning to look up at the girl in confusion. "Why are you helping me?" He choked out tearfully.

"Because you belong to someone too, and you don't deserve this," she replied softly her arm still outstretched.

"But I'm a Gryffindor," he whispered out.

"And I'm a Slytherin, my house doesn't define who I am," she replied with a shrug. "You need help, and I can help you if you'll let me,"

He took a breath and shakily reached for her hand, allowing himself to trust her not to drop him. She lifts him up and with the help of another student a Ravenclaw he notes he is suddenly stable on his feet. At least he thought so, that is until he moved to turn and found his foot slipping. His eyes closed automatically, the locket gripped tightly in his hand. If this was how he was going to die he didn't want to see it.

He felt something tug sharply at his robes and he was suddenly pulled back. He looked to smile at the 7th year, only to see the fear that he had felt was now on her face. He didn't have a chance to do anything as she fell off the ledge. Her ear piercing scream echoing the entire way down. He had closed his eyes once more, refusing to believe that a girl had just died, because she had saved him.

He didn't even get to thank her or return the favor. He shuddered quietly, the other two Ravenclaws staring down where the girl had fallen. Dean felt something in him break, he couldn't handle this. First Seamus and now her, he didn't even know her name. He nodded to himself, before turning to the Ravenclaws, ready to ask them if they knew when he turned to see who they were staring at. He couldn't make it out, but someone was flying towards them.

~*~*~*~*~Corridors*~*~*~*

Amanda squirmed in Sirius's arms for what must have been the 10th time in in only a couple of minutes, and she found to her utter horror that she couldn't help it. She wasn't sure where exactly they were going as they kept entered and exiting secret passageways that she never knew existed in Hogwarts. Any other time and she would have been excited but now she was anything but.

"I need to use the bathroom," she told the man seriously, once they had exited into the hallway.

"You've got to be kidding me," Sirius said with a sigh, they didn't need little breaks like that. It was hard enough covering his tracks as it was, it was only luck and a bit of skill not to mention the evacuations that kept him from being discovered.

"I'm sorry but I haven't gone in a while," she stated defensively, as she chewed her bottom lip. Was he going to deny her? "Please Sirius, I'm really not kidding," she pleaded.


"Alright, alright we should be passing one in a bit anyway. Just relax won't ya," Sirius told her easy going attitude as he looked on the bright side. If anything, they could use a bit of a rest anyway and not to mention water. And this part of the castle look isolated, so what were the risks of them running into some other people.

Amanda nodded silently, keeping her eyes peeled, and soon enough she spotted the universal restroom sign. She didn't move however, as he was currently carrying her, and she didn't think her feet would appreciate the abuse if she were to run. Her eye's widen in horror when she saw the direction he was going on. "Hey, I'm not a boy!"

"I know you're not kid, but I'm not heading in there. The entrance is usually warded against males, and as you can see I am most certainly one," Sirius said as he entered the boy's bathroom; staying quiet on the fact that every girl's bathroom was warded except for the one Myrtle was haunting. That was an explanation in itself, and he wasn't about to get into that with an 11 year old girl.

"Oh," she replied softly before waiting impatiently for him to let her down.

Sirius walked over to a stall and set her on her feet. "There you go kid," he said as he headed to the sink and turned on the sink, and washed his face.

Amanda nodded and locked the stall behind her before she took care of business.

Neither of them knew that they were far from alone, in that section of the castle, nor just who was literally just around the corner for them. It was bound to be a surprise for all of them.

~*~*~*~St. Mungos~*~*~*~*

Remus stared at the child on the bed, he had remembered when they had flooed over. Theodore had shortly lost consciousness from his injury but even in his state, the child still had a hold on him and it had taken the healers a moment to get the child off of him. He hadn't protested it, he ran his fingers through the child's hair, noting the worry lines that had marred his forehead even in sleep were gone.

He was sure that if the boy's parent's had of been here they wouldn't be too happy with the close proximity he was of their child. But maybe they would change their mind if they knew he had saved the boy. Theodore's right arm was bandages and he had been given numbing potions and pain potions to knock him out even longer. They had worked for an hour or so, as they tried to regrow the skin.

Remus had been in the waiting room when the child had been whisked to surgery, and had been there when the alarms around the hospital suddenly went off. He watched as someone port keyed in and gasped in horror, even as his stomach recoiled as he recognized that this was a Hogwart's student. The red-hair was enough to get him on his feet and his heart leaped into his stomach. He didn't need to shout help, as the healers were soon there and gently levitated the child.

"Who is he? This seems consistent with the other Hogwarts student that got burn, oh Merlin," the pudgy healer had exclaimed when they had moved his robes and saw his legs.

"His name is Percy Weasely, I'm his teacher as well. He's a 7th year at Hogwarts," Remus as interrupted, seeing the expression on some of the Healer's face as they realized his surname.

There words were soon a mixture of healer talk and he moved away as they ushered the child down the hall. Remus blew out a breath, hoping like hell that the child would be okay. He wasn't sure how long he had been sitting in the hospital room with Blaize, when the door opened and in rolled Percy Weasley on a bed with another healer.

"We thought he'd be more comfortable here with a fellow student, and his teacher to keep watch over him," she told him softly. "He shouldn't wake up anytime soon, but if he's in any pain, you can push this red button here and I will come," she told him.

Remus promised he would and after she had Percy set up, she left the room. The Werewolf stood up and made his way over to the bed, gone was the over confident teen that he was so used to seeing. Now the boy on the bed, looked like a child. His eyes moved down to the covers, but he didn't see any change. He hadn't asked for much information on the exactly what was going on with the boy as he had been in too much shock. He ran a comforting hand through the curly red hair before he gently pulled the covers back.

Remus gasped, at what he saw, he could see gauze wrapped around the boy's knees, but that was all he saw. He felt light headed all of sudden, as he realized the extent of the boy's injuries and what he now saw. He hung his head sadly, hoping Severus would keep Harry safe. He took a seat in between the middle of the boy's beds, wanting them both to know he was there. He allowed a tear to drop for the grief he felt for the boy next to him. He knew magic couldn't heal everything, but seeing it like this was too much for the man.

He hoped that Percy would still have the strength and perseverance of a Gryffindor, and he was glad that the boy wouldn't be waking up anytime soon. He didn't even want to think on how the boy would feel when he was told that he would never walk again.

The End.
End Notes:
Always review they give me motivation to write :) Unless your flamer..then you can..just go away!
Chapter 10: Where do we go From Here? by Severus Draconis Potter
Author's Notes:
So this story is winding down, and it's been amazing to write. This isnt the last chapter, I think it has maybe 2-3 chapters..or less. I could end it here, but as we know the aftermath in the tragedies that we see in life, is where the real survivors come out. Because it's on thing to survive the disaster, but it's another to live on when people you know didnt. It's hard...so it's not yet over.

"Professor I'm thirsty," Harry admitted after a moment.

He wasn't walking again, it seemed the man was more relaxed when he was out of harm's way completely. Harry was currently on his back, and thanks to Harry's handy map they were looking for more wayward students. He had his eyes fixated on Amanda's dot, he saw that Sirius Black and Peter Pettigrew were still with her as they had been for the past 20 minutes.

He remembered after sneaking out to Hogsmeade that the teachers had said that Pettigrew had been killed. If that was so then why was he showing up on the map? The map didn't lie did it? Only one way to find out, which is why he they were now heading towards it, he didn't tell his Professor any of this however as he didn't know what the man's reaction would be. Everyone thought that Sirius Black was a killer and his Professor might kill the man before he heard the truth.

Severus nodded, not at all surprised, it was very hot in the castle. The lava was everywhere even if it wasn't. They were currently using bubble head charms so they could breathe easily, he didn't want Harry breathing in any of the air, even if it wasn't so bad this far up. "There's a bathroom just up ahead, you can get a drink there," he told him.

"Okay," Harry replied as he went back studying the map.

He felt the man turn the corner before he suddenly stopped. The stop was so sudden that Harry nearly fell, it was only the man's hands that stopped him from meeting the stone floor head first. He opened his mouth to ask Snape what was going on when he saw just who was in front of them, Sirius Black and he was holding Mandy!

"Black, I could kill you now and no one would be none the wiser," Severus hissed out dangerously., his wand pointed at the man's chest. He had seen the man coming out of the bathroom with a little girl, he was definitely familiar with. Harry was very fond of the child, and he would be damn if this imbecile harmed her.

Sirius was looking like a deer in headlights, but even then made sure that the child in his arms was not in harms way the best he could.

"Of all people, it would be you Snape. Just hang on a minute will you and let me explain," Sirius told him quickly.

He knew that if given a chance that Snape would definitely kill him without a care. He forced his eyes to stay on the dark ones trained on, even as he could see his godson on the back of the Slytherin's back.

"And why should I after what you did? After you were responsible for Lily's death?" Severus asked bitingly, feeling the child flinch hard on his shoulder, and made him aware that Harry was very much still here.

"I didn't betray my friends, I would never do that to James. Peter was the secret keeper, and I can prove it," Sirius rushed out quickly, his eyes flickering unconsciously to Harry. Who he saw to his relief was looking at him in only curiosity and not the fear he was so used to seeing.

"I highly doubt that Black, the Dementors have fled, but Mother Nature has provided another use at my disposal," Severus said darkly, watching as the man's face paled as he caught the hidden meaning.

He wasn't the only one as the child in Black's arms, suddenly turned to bury her face in the convict's chest to both his and Harry's horror.

"Manda!" Harry yelled out in frighteningly fearing that Black would hurt his friend.

"Harry? You're alive," Amanda said softly, as she turned to look at him, but kept one eye in the man's chest.

"Don't worry Manda, Snape will protect you," Harry was quick to tell her.

Amanda only shook her head. "Sirius isn't going to hurt me, he didn't betray your parents, or kill those muggles," she told him with a shrug.

"How do you know that? Everyone said he did, so it has to be true," Harry said refusing to hope. Even if he wished it was so, if Sirius was innocent, this meant he had another chance at a family.

"But it's not Harry,I was never given a trial, and I am innocent, and like I said I have proof," Sirius added in before Snape could say anything.

"What proof?" Harry asked softly, he wanted to believe, but he was cautious. He didn't want to get hurt again.

Sirius went to hold up the rat, in his hands before he froze staring at the oh so familiar map in Harry's hand. "Where did you get that Harry?" He asked softly.

Harry pulled the map to his chest possessively. "The twins gave it to me, it's mine. Professor Lupin said my Dad was Prongs," he told him with his chin jutted out as if he was daring the man to take it.

"I'm not going to take it from you, I just wanted you to know, that I'm Padfoot is all," Sirius said with a sad smile.

Harry gasped as he looked back at the map and then at Sirius before he nodded. He didn't know about Snape, but he was pretty much sold on that admission alone. They stared at one another for a moment before the sound of an angry throat clearing was heard.

"Harry seems inclined to always believe the best in people, I however need proof Black. And don't you dare try anything, I will curse before you can even blink," Severus warned him.

Sirius swallowed thickly, not at all from Snape's threat but from the moment he and Harry had just shared. He nodded as he held up the small container that held the stunned and bound rat, to the disgust of Amanda. "Like I said I have proof, this is Peter Pettigrew, otherwise known as Wormtail. And he was the secret keeper, not me," Sirius said gravely.

Severus stared at the rat, before his gaze turned back to Black, shaking with anger at this point. He couldnt believe the man in front of him, but it was his own fault for wasting his time and allowing the man to come up with this silly ploy to save his skin. "What kind of fool do you take me for Black?" He spat out.

Sirius opened his mouth to answer just what he thought before he found himself wincing as Amanda jabbed him in the rib with her finger, before shaking her head no. He smiled dryly to himself, they had clearly spent a bit to much time together. He took a breath before he turned to Harry.

"Can you tell me the names you see on the map in front of you?" Sirius asked calmly.

Harry nodded eagerly as he looked down. "Um, it says me, P'fessor Snape, Mandy, you, and Peter Pettigrew. It's been saying his name since I first seen you guys on the map like an hour ago," he admitted, looking around at his teacher who seemed to be choking on something.

"So it's true then," Severus said, unwilling to believe it but the fact were staring him in his face.

"All they could find of Peter was a finger, and this rat here has a missing toe," Sirius pointed quietly.

Severus nodded as he pulled out his wand. Though he could feel in his gut that Black was telling the truth, and the map was sort of proof he was a Slytherin. He said nothing to anyone as he pointed his wand at the rat.

"Animagus Revealio," he murmured softly, noticing that the rat lit up in a bright blue and he shook his head with a sigh. A blue signified that it was an Animagus, had it turned glowed gold it would have shown it was a normal animal. But this indeed was Peter Pettigrew, which meant as much as it pained him to admit it, Black was innocent.

"What's it mean?" Harry asked curiously.

"That I'm innocent," Sirius said with a shrug, but he had known all a long. He looked over at the Slytherin who had yet to say something. "Guess ole Snapey is in shock," he teased.

That seemed to break Severus out of whatever it was he was in, as he scowled. "Black, for your information, I," here he broke off as the castle gave a loud groan and he held his breath and froze, trying to make sense of all this.

"What was that?" Amanda breathed out fearfully.

"The castle is....it's....never mind about that. We need to get up higher," Sirius said unwilling to even explain a bit what was going on. He didn't want the children more afraid. He turned to start walking looking over at Snape who still had his godson.

"Snape, let's move," he said firmly.

"I am Black, Harry get out your map. Check to see if there are any children that are near us," he instructed the child.

"Okay," Harry said eager to please as he pulled out the map, as they started walking through the corridors.

~*~*~*~Outside on the Hogwarts Ledge~*~*~*~

Meanwhile, Dean was had pushed his grief in the back of his mind. He would find out the name of that 7th year Slytherin, when he made it out of here alive. He would tell her parents, how she had died, she had saved him and he owed her that much. He sniffled as he turned to look at the figure on the broom who he could see as they got closer, the robes were Gryffindor. Who was it though? He gasped loudly as the boy came to a sharp stop in front of them, grinning brightly.

"Neville," he breathed out in shock, unable to believe what he was actually seeing.

"I know, it's quite a shocker to me too," Neville replied with a bright grin. He watched as the boy seemed to shake his head as if he wasn't seeing clearly, but his smile only grew even brighter if possible.

"Yeah, never thought I'd be happy to see you on a broom," Dean said softly.

"Never thought I'd get on another but here I am," he said with a shrug but his eyes showed his pride at having accomplished that.

"Are you gonna help us too?" A timid voice from the right of Dean asked, it was the 4th year Ravenclaw. They didn't know her, so she wasn't sure if they would help them as well.

"Of course, I'm not gonna leave you us here," Neville said easily as he reached for her. "Do you mind if I get her first Dean?" He asked, very much aware that Seamus wasn't with him, which was strange as they were often together just like Harry and Ron. It was a shame that the 3rd year Gryffindor boys only have 5 as he was always the one without being in a pair.
"No I don't mind, just come back for us," he said seriously, remembering there was a first year as well on the ledge too.

"I will, don't worry," he promised as he got the girl situated behind him on his broom. "By the way, where's Seamus?" He asked curiously.

Dean swallowed thickly at the innocent question but could barely make out anything due to croak in his voice. He cleared his throat. "The lava separated us," was all he managed to get out.

Neville nodded seriously. "Well don't worry, he's a Gryffindor, he's probably already safe then," he said as he noticed the look on his room mates face.

Dean could only nod, as he had an internal battle not to let his grief over take him once more. He could cry for Seamus later in private, no one would be able to see his breakdown. He swallowed thickly once more as the first year boy pressed his face against his side. He didn't even know the kid, but they were in this together. He didn't care what house they were in, they just weren't alone, and that's all that mattered. He watched Neville fly off, hoping that the boy would indeed come back for them.

~*~*~*~*~*The corridors~*~*~*~*~

Fred and George Weasley were running, the fastest they had ever run before. They were gasping on their breaths but they didn't stop, not until they made their way to the Headmaster's office. They panted slightly, looking worried at the guardian, they couldnt even attempt to say a sweet let own guess. Which was fine for them as it slowly opened for them and they headed up the steps. Fred opened the office door, his face red with extertion as he got his first glance of the office. This was first time, coming to it, without being in trouble. It was a strange feeling and he shook that away he had better things to worry about, more important things. Like why the hell was Ron asleep on the couch with...Draco Malfoy?

"Headmaster?" George spoke as he scooted passed his brother and into the office.

Albus sighed in relief, well that was 3 of the 4 boys that were safe. But he knew Molly and she counted Harry as an extension of her boys so they were not all safe, not to mention what happened to Percy Weasely?

"It's so good to see you boys," he said relief evident in his tone.

"It's good to see you too Headmaster, but this isn't a social call as you know," Fred said trying to make light of the situation only to blink back the sudden onslaught of tears.

George rubbed his brother's shoulder as he glanced over at the two boys asleep on the sofa. "Why haven't you flooed them out yet?" He asked quietly, trying try prolong sharing the information. That made it real, instead of them feeling like they had only just imagined it.
"They don't wish to go at this time, and they're safe here. Not to mention that is Draco Malfoy as you can see, and as much as I'm sure his family is worried it would be, excuse my language boys hell if Lucius Malfoy attempted to floo over here. At the moment everyone is gathered at the Ministry or St. Mungos," Albus replied.

George nodded. "And Ron, why is he still here? He was supposed to have flooed out of here like an hour ago or so in McGonagall's office,"

"He was, but he ran away and went looking for Harry, and found Draco instead. It's long story boys, but Harry is fine," Albus told them quickly just in case they got anymore ideas.

"We know, we saw him with Professor Snape, actually that's what we're here to talk to you about. Professor Snape gave us a message to give you, he said to tell to check the infirmary they're are still students and Poppy up there," George replied quietly.

Albus gasped and quickly stood up, knocking over the thick registry book in his haste. The book slammed to the floor, and the two boys on the couch jumped up, looking around sleepily.

"Headmaster?" Draco asked blearily as he looked around.

"Sorry boys," Albus replied as he grabbed the floo power and tossed it into the fireplace, floo calling the infirmary. No one picked up, so he tried Poppy's office, hoping she was there.

"Fred? George?" Ron whimpered out as he looked at his brothers. That was all the warning he got as he threw himself at him.

"Ronnie, we said we'd be fine. Now why are you still here. Merlin, Mom is worried sick I bet," Fred said as he hugged his brother tightly.

"Cause Harry was here, and then Percy was flickering in the book, and I don't know what's wrong!" He cried out.

George sighed quietly, well as much as he didn't want to do it, this really was the moment of truth. "Percy's at St. Mungos, Professor Snape, port-keyed him there," he told his brother.

"Why? Was he hurt really bad?" Ron asked out tearfully, afraid for his older brother.

"Yeah, he was hurt really bad," George replied quietly as he shook his head.

"Is he gonna be okay?" Ron asked as he took a shuddering breath.

"I think so," Fred replied vaguely, he didn't want to worry the boy.

"Oh okay, that's good then right?" Ron asked, needing confirmation anyway, even though they just told him.

"Yeah," George replied in the same soft tone.

Draco was watching this whole scene enviously, he had always teased Weasely for having such a huge family. But now watching them interact and comfort one another, he had never felt more alone then he did a that moment. He had no one to tell him, that everything was going to be okay. He lost two of his friends today, they had died because of his stupid idea to stay back, and that was all his fault. He would forever live with that guilt, with that grief. He hugged his torso as he looked at the brothers engulfed in a hug, wishing that he had that or could at least be apart of it.

He shook his head, turning his gaze to the floor as tears suddenly filled his eyes. This was too much to witness, and as the calming draught had long worn off, this was the price of suppressing those emotions. He choked on a sob trying to stay quiet, he didn't want them to see him in this moment of shame. Malfoys never showed weakness, but he was only 13 and still only a child. So maybe that didn't apply to him right?

It was Fred who had seen it first, he glanced up at the first of the sob thinking it was his brother only to see the Slytherin across from them. Well duh, of course the boy was crying, Ron was they had been through something emotional. The only difference was Malfoy didn't have anyone to comfort him. He sighed softly, not wanting to go over there and get the boy, but Merlin if his mother was here, he knew she would have done it without thought. He glanced towards the Headmaster who seemed to be busy with the fireplace and shook his head. He gently pulled himself away from his brother, turning Ron into George.

"What...?" George asked, looking to his twin and following, before nodding. "Oh," he murmured.

Fred sighed, wondering as he made the short distance to the Slytherin third year if the boy was going to reject him. Well if he did, he could say he had tried and if he wanted to suffer alone go for it. But at least he wouldn't have this bit of guilt on his conscious that sounded strangely like his mother. He didn't say anything as he stopped in front of the boy. He knew the small teen had seen him as he saw him tense up.

"Go away," Draco whispered out tearfully, so very sure that the boy was over here to gloat. He wasn't even sure who he was, as he could only see the shoes.

"Naw I don't think I will," Fred said easily, taking a chance and pulling the boy to his chest a moment later. It was a stiff hug, one he hadn't ever experience before, but strangely Malfoy didn't pull away, and he took that as good. It took maybe 30 seconds for the boy to finally relax against him and cry in earnest. He ran his fingers through the white blonde hair, as he comforted the boy, looking over at his twin with a smirk that mirrored his own as they were doing the same thing.

"I didn't see that coming," George murmured quietly before shaking his head in disbelief at Fred.

Albus turned around to look at the boys in his office and had to smile at them for a moment. It was nice to see that the children could come together in such a dire situation. He nodded as he turned back to Poppy.

"So how many students did you say you had with you now?" Albus asked her.

"I have 5 left, the others flooed out. But I ran out of floo powder as my canister was only half full to start with," Poppy replied.

"Here I will give you some, and then get those student's out of there," Albus replied seriously.

"I need a port-key, they can't floo on their own. They need to get St. Mungos, these burns are the worse I've seen Albus and they need a healer, as I cannot be one for them right now," she replied gravely.

"Give me but a moment," he said as he pulled out of the fireplace, rushing through one of his doors, to grab a port-key to the Hospital before grabbing a container of floo powder. He only took about 3 minutes or so before he returned but with the lava rushing as it was it seemed he might have taken too long. He could hear the screams through the open fireplace, and he cursed his forgetfulness.

In the infirmary, Poppy was trying to calm her students down, the lava had made the small office, boiling hot. It had breached the door and was slowing coming in underneath the door. She wondered how long the door would hold. She was trying to comfort her students, by staying calm but honestly it didn't look good for them.

"Albus!" She called through the open connection. She couldn't floo two of her students, it was too risky. It would risk their lives even more given the state of their injuries, so she needed that port-key.

"I'm here," Albus replied as he stuck his arm through the connection and held out the sock port-key and the floo powder.

"Ginny go!" Poppy told her, as she was was able bodied, and she could made the floo.

Ginny grabbed the 2 boys next to her, waiting as the Headmaster moved before grabbing the powder and disappearing into the flames. She didn't shout out a destination, in her haste but it didn't matter, it had taken her to the Headmaster's office. She really hoped that the Medi-witch would be okay, as the when they had flooed she had seen the door finally crumble. She stumbled out of the floo and looked around the office.

"Fred? George? Ron?" She whispered out thankfully, well they were safe and she could breathe a bit easier. Funny how she hadn't known she hadn't been breathing well. She hurried towards her brother's noticing slightly that the white blonde hair didn't belong in the midst of redheads but she said nothing. Now was really not the time.

"Ginny, mum's gonna kill you. You were supposed to have left a long time ago," George chided solemnly.

"No, mum's gonna kill you. You were supposed to make sure that Ron left and I," she said cheekily. "You're the oldest,"

Fred shook his head. "Percy's the oldest," he whispered out.

"Where is he?" She asked curiously. "Probably still giving out pompous orders right? Just because he's the head boy," She asked with a shake of her head as she rolled her eyes knowing her older brother was doing just that.

"No, don't joke Ginny," George told her soberly.

"What's wrong?" She asked, her tone instantly changing as she caught his serious tone. "What's happened?" She whispered out fearfully.

"Percy at St. Mungos," Fred said vaguely.

"Is he okay?" Ginny asked quietly, he heart thudding hard in her chest. God she felt like she was going to pass out. She took back everything she every thought bad about her older brother, she didn't mean. Merlin just let him be okay.

"He's alive," Was Fred's answer. "We need to go, to get out the castle, and see mum and tell her," he told her nodding for her to take the floo powder.

"Headmaster if we may?" George asked quietly.

Albus looked up from where he had flooed the other two boys to safety and nodded. "Of course, my boys," he told them gesturing to them to come towards the fireplace.

"Be strong Draco, it's not your fault. They all had a mind of their own, and they chose. It wasn't the right choice, but it was their choice, not yours," Fred told him seriously, as he pressed his forehead against the smaller teen's forehead before pulling away.

"Are you leaving?" Draco whispered out hoarsely. He had liked the feeling of being comforted like that, only his mother did that now and only when his father wasn't around. He missed human contact, the teen hadn't really said much but he was starting to feel a lot better anyway just from the comforting touch.

"Yeah," Fred replied as he looked over at his siblings they were all crammed into the fireplace. Guess they were all flooing together, it had been a long time since they had done this. But apparently no one wanted to go alone.

"Can I come?" Draco found himself asking before he could help himself. He didn't want to be alone with the Headmaster, not to mention he didn't want to lose the comfort he didn't even know he craved.

"I don't think so, your father is going to be looking for you," Fred replied truthfully. And honestly a Malfoy hanging around the Weasleys, that would turn heads at the hospital and he didn't want to go there. Not to mention, Lucius Malfoy had connections everywhere, and his brother's life was already on the line as it was.

Draco's eyes filled with tears at that, so he was getting left again. It always boiled down to what his father wanted or would do. Would he never get a chance to decide on his own? Would anyone ever see that he wasn't the man? To prove that he wasn't a replica of the man he resembled so much? He pushed the older teen away from him, of course he would never let him come with them. Just because he had comforted him didn't mean anything, it never did. He would forget about that, the teen obviously already did. He sniffled as made his way back to the couch, burying his face in arm of the sofa.

Fred looked from the boy to back to his siblings, but there really was nothing he could. Draco couldn't come with them. The boy was in mourning and he felt horrible for leaving him, but his family came first and Malfoy didn't really need him did he? He sighed but he hurried towards the fireplace, giving the teen one last sad look he didn't see before he nodded to the Headmaster and flooed away to home with his siblings.

~*~*~*~*~The corridors~*~*~*~*~

Severus walked briskly down the hall with Harry on his back, the boy hadn't uttered much in the past half hour they had found themselves with Black. Currently even with the map, they hadn't seen anymore children who needed help, or otherwise. The castle was groaning, and pretty much deserted but he knew it was far from empty. Albus had told them, how many students were left still. There no more Slytherins in the castle, he was pretty sure they had the last of the Gryffindors, so that left the Hufflepuff house and Ravenclaw. The only problem was, he couldn't find anyone, and he needed to get Harry and Amanda to safety, they're lives were important as well.

"Where are we going?" Sirius asked out quietly.

"To the Headmaster's office, so we can floo from there," Severus replied honestly.

"Have you seen Remus?" He asked, before the children could ask why they were abandoning their search.

"I saw him earlier, when we went to rescue my Slytherins. He flooed to St. Mungos with my 3rd year Slytherin," he replied briskly.

"Oh, okay then," Sirius said well at least his old friend was safe.

"So what's going to happen now Professor?" Harry asked curiously.

"Black is going to floo somewhere else, the tragedy at Hogwarts is taking over everything. And if he were to go out he's still a wanted convict, regardless of that rat," Severus told the child.

"Its fine, I know where I can go," Sirius murmured at the boy's look. He was still slightly amazed at how he and Severus were tolerating each other. Granted he was sure that majority of it was for the children's sake, he couldn't help but think that the other man wasn't so bad. Especially if one forgot that he was a snake.

"Good, because this as far as my goodwill towards you is going to go Black. You may be innocent, but you are still an insufferable git, not to mention a prick," Severus told him quietly but he knew the children had probably heard it anyone.

"That's not a nice word Professor," Harry told the man softly.

"It's never nice when it's true Harry, hush," Severus admonished the boy gently.

Harry pouted but he obediently quieted, turning to look at his godfather. He had so many things he wanted to ask the man, like why his Professor and him hated one another. He wanted to know everything but he obviously couldn't ask now. He sighed as he held the man loosely around the neck.

"I need to ask this, I've been wondering it since you first came to us. Why do you have Harry on your back?" Sirius asked him quietly.

"I was the one who pulled him back when Amanda fell. I'm going to assume, it was you who caught her," Severus replied.

"Yeah it was me, I knew Harry hadn't fallen. I'm just surprised that you would save James Potter's son, given what we did to you," Sirius said shaking his head in disbelief. He couldn't wrap his head around that.

"He's Lily's son too," Severus remarked in a clipped tone, as he gave Sirius a dark look. "Shut up," he hissed out.

"Okay okay," Sirius muttered out as he quieted, one look at his godson knew that they would eventually have to explain this, but now was clearly not the time. He said nothing as they hurried to the Headmaster's office. The guardian they noted slid open and they finally allowed themselves to breathe a sigh of relief as the stairs went up.

It was all over right? Where did they go from here? And what was they going to do about all the casualties? Severus was going to ask Albus all of those questions, when the children were safely away. They didn't need to hear that particular discussion, frankly he didn't even want to have it.

But they must, because they had to go forward. But how did one pick up the pieces after such tragedy like this one? Would everything ever go back to the way it was, or had it changed for good? What would happen to them now?

The End.
End Notes:
Always review, it's good motivation to write...I sat here for 2 hours finishing this chapter bcause of a review I got. It was nice and warm that I just had to post it today!
Chapter 11: The Aftermath by Severus Draconis Potter
Author's Notes:
This was an emotional chapter for me, not sure why but it hit me hard so I hope you guys like it. Oh yeah the name Ailis is pronounced Ay+lish, and it's Irish and means God is my oath. Like I said the story is starting to come together.

Severus was the first one to enter the Headmaster's office, not even bothering with knocking, because at the moment there really was no point. He was able to note once Black came in behind him that it was only Draco and Albus. Where in the world had the Weasley boy gone? Before he could even ask, it was Harry that spoke first, not really noticing the look of shock, and disbelief at the two who only had eyes for Black.

"Draco, where's Ron?" Harry asked curiously.

"He left, he went with his family," Draco replied hoarsely, not trusting himself to stand up or do anything else really. He had no fight left in him, and he didn't care at this point.

"Oh, then why haven't you gone with your family as well?" The curious little Gryffindor wanted to know.

"Ask the Headmaster," Draco replied with a shrug of indifference as he covered his eyes with his arm once more. True, he was dying to know just why Sirius Black was doing with Snape, but at the same time, he really didn't care.

"Headmaster?" Harry asked softly as he turned to the old man in confusion.

"In a moment Harry. In the meantime maybe you can tell me Severus, just what Mr. Black is doing here?" Albus said quietly, he was in mourning as his eyes didn't have it's customary twinkle but at the same time, they were hard as steel as he looked at his guests.

"Believe it or not, Black is innocent," Severus sneered out. "We have the proof, and at the moment we are taking said proof and heading to the Ministry, while he hides out."

Albus blinked at that statement, looking at Severus with a critical eye. He knew then that Sirius Black was indeed innocent as Severus would never ever say something like this if it wasn't true. The hatred between both men, was infamous as the Marauders themselves were.

"Indeed, we'll probably run into Lucius Malfoy while we're there," Albus replied gesturing for the Slytherin to get up.

"Not that my opinion matters to anyone but I would like to go home. I want to see my mother, before I see my father," Draco whispered out sadly.

Harry was giving the boy a scandalized look. "Your opinion matters too Draco," he was quick to tell the other boy.

"It really doesn't Harry, not here anyway, and that's fine. I'm beginning to get used to it anyway," he mumbled out in a detached voice.

Draco felt like he was getting torn up from the inside out, he had never felt like this before. That hug that Fred had given him, had mended a bit of it, but when he had been left; it had been ripped opened yet again. He shook his head away as the tears stung the back of his eyes. He was not going to do this here yet again. He knew he would be receiving no such comfort this time around, he knew.

Harry was staring at the boy and frowning but what could he say after that? He just followed the blonde boy who grabbed the floo powder and disappeared in the green flames. He stared at the empty fireplace and turned back to look at his Potion's Professor.

"Is he gonna be okay?" He asked softly.

Severus wasn't sure how to answer that if he was being honest. He had never see Draco look so forlorn as he did in that moment. But at the same time he had the grace to lie to the child in front of him. He didn't need Harry worrying about Draco when they had other things to worry about. Mainly about the rest of the children.

"He'll be fine," he said before quickly pulling the boy back from the fireplace that flared to reveal Minerva's head.

"Albus I have flooed out, 2 of the last Gryffindors and 2 Ravenclaws. Are all the students out?" She asked, as she stepped through the floo.

"They are, the only student's...left are the two in my office that you see," he told her quietly. He had barely refrained from saying alive as he knew the children didn't need anymore nightmares.

"Then I best floo to St. Mungos, no doubt parent's are there awaiting news of their children, will you be joining me?" She asked him as she grabbed the powder.

"No, I will be going with Severus and Harry to the Ministry to inform them. And to send out letters to the families whose child is no longer registered here," he murmured giving her a sad look.

Harry shuddered at the man's word, leaning back onto his Potion's Master torso as he tried not to think about the kids who died. He didn't even know who they were, and he didn't want to know.

"It'll be fine," Severus told him quietly before he turned to Black. "Give me the girl, she's coming to the ministry with us," he told the man.

Sirius shook his head at that suggestion. "She needs to go to St. Mungos. She burnt her feet pretty badly when she fell," he murmured as he handed over the child, who immediately whimpered when she found herself in Professor Snape's arms before being transferred to Minerva.

"Sirius," she whined out reaching for the man once more.

"You gotta go, and so do I. But I'll tell you what, I'll owl you alright?" He told her gently.

"No, when they announce you as innocent, you gotta come see me," she told him tearfully as she reached for him.

"Alright kid, I will if your parent's let me," Sirius replied softly, but he too was gonna miss the girl.

"They will, promise me you'll come," she told him her eyes locking with his.

"I promise Amanda, I will come," Sirius replied firmly before he made his way to her. "You just focus on getting all better," he said as he hugged her tightly before she disappeared in the floo with Minerva.

Harry was staring at the back of his godfather's head with a look of envy on his face. He didn't know where the hell the rush of jealously came from but he didn't like it. He didn't blame Amanda or Sirius for that matter, however he just was so confused. He shook his head as he tugged his Potion's Master towards the fireplace.

"Wait Prongslet, I will be back for you. Make no doubt about it, when this is all over you're living with me," Sirius told him as he hugged his godson tightly before he quickly flooed away.

Harry stared at the empty fireplace in disbelief, as he looked back to find Snape with an unreadable expression on his face. He wasn't sure how he felt about that, did he want to live with Sirius? He wanted to get away from the Durselys that's for sure, but a part of him couldn't help but wish that Snape had said those same words to him. He shook his head before turning to look at the headmaster.

"Are we flooing there?" He asked softly.

"No we're flashing there, Fawkes will take us," Albus said as he shrunk the registry book and made his way over to his phoenix and gestured to the other two to grab a tail of the bird. They all disappeared in rush of fire.

They landed in the middle of the Atrium in the Ministry of Magic, and there was truly only one word to describe what Harry felt they had dropped into. It was utter chaos, and he found himself grabbing his Potion's Professor's hand tightly and pressing himself in his side.

"Nothing to worry about my boy," Albus murmured as he saw the fearful expression on the child's face as he led them to the Minister's office.

The old man's strides were purposeful but at the same time he was dreading this meeting. And they were definitely going to be putting a privacy charm around the 3 men. Harry was not going to be listening in on this, never mind that he would be in the same room as them. As they got off the elevator he turned to look at Severus, quirking an eyebrow at the man who had picked up the child and seemed quite content despite everything. Knowing that Harry was fine for the moment, he knocked on the Minister's door, waiting for the man to let them in.

~*~*~*The Burrow~*~*~*~*

The minute Fred had flooed over with his siblings, he had felt the weight of the situation hit him full force once he was home and he staggered. He found himself panting as he had just ran a race, looking around his house more importantly his mother who was currently holding Ginny and Ron to her chest tightly. He didn't see his father anywhere, and was unsure what that meant.

He couldn't help it, as he looked towards the clock that showed him and his siblings and where they were. 5 were pointing home, and Percy's was pointing at mortal peril That had count for something, he was alive he was still alive, just still in a bad way. Fred didn't realize why one of his older brothers was also pointing at home. He staggered again and would have fallen when he felt someone catch him. He expected it to be his twin brother, only to find George in the clutches of his mum, but he didn't seem to care. He choked on a sob, as he turned to find himself looking into the worried eyes of his older brother.

"Charlie what are you doing here?" He whispered out tearfully.

"Something happened at Hogwarts, I don't know what. Dad and Bill went to see what they could find out at the ministry, but mum needed me here," Charlie told him seriously as he hugged the boy. "What happened?"

"We have to go to St. Mungos," he breathed out slowly, trying to get a handle on his emotions. This was too much, to much to deal with in so little time.

"Why? What's happened?" He repeated a bit more firmly.

"Would you believe me if I said a Volcano erupted and Hogwarts was in the way?" He said with a humorless chuckle, trying not to just break down and cry. As it was George was already there, and he had to be the one to explain just what the hell was going on.

"I would, given the fact that George, Ron and Ginny haven't yet let go of mum," he said slowly as he turned his head around for a moment as he realized something. "Where's Percy?" He asked out quietly, feeling his stomach drop at the implication of what his brother had been saying.

"St. Mungo's, Professor Snape port-keyed him there, so we have to go. We have to see that he's okay," Fred rushed out as he forced himself to stand up and pushing himself slightly away from his brother. His eyes were red but dry, he could cry later, but not now. Now was not the time.

Charlie's eyes flashed to his mother wondering if she wanted to stay here with the two youngest as he wasn't sure if she had heard part's of their conversation.

"We're all going," Molly said as soon as she and her son made eye contact.

"Alright, I'll floo with Fred and Ron," Charlie said as he gestured for the third year to make his way towards them. Surprisingly the boy didn't want to let go of his mum, which was saying something as Ron often complained that he didn't like when she hugged on him and 'babied' him.

"We'll meet you there, I'll floo Arthur and let him know where we are," she said nodding to her son to go.

"Alright mum," Charlie said before hurrying into the fireplace and disappearing with his siblings to the Hospital.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Meanwhile Remus was sitting in his chair, looking between his two sleeping students sadly. Who would have thought that today would end like this where he was? Could this have all been prevented? Why them? Why not him, they had their whole lives ahead of them, and then this, what did that bode for them? He sighed softly, as he let his thoughts run wild, not really paying much attention at the moment. His sensitive ears however picked up the slight change in breathing of the Slytherin in the bed to the left of him and he turned to face him knowing the boy was awake.

"How are you feeling Theodore?" Remus asked softly, unsure if he should call for a nurse or not.

"Thirsty," the boy rasped out.

Remus nodded and helped the child sit up and drink for a cup before he put it down, looking at the child on the bed. His whole right hand was bandaged to just past the elbow.

"Are you in any pain?" He asked him gently.

"No sir," Theodore replied softly as he looked at his arm. He couldn't wiggle his fingers or even move his arm and turned to look at his teacher with a horrified expression.

"What is it?" Remus asked as he sat up in his chair worriedly.

"I can't move my arm!" He said getting worked up, his breaths coming out quickly, as if he was trying to ward off a panic attack.

Remus nodded. "I know you can't that's because the healers have spelled it. There is no need to worry, I promise. They need to make sure that it stays perfectly still as it is far from being the way it's suppose too. You suffered a lot of nerve damage Theo," he explained gently.

"What does that mean?" The child asked tearfully.

Remus chewed his bottom lip quietly for a moment trying to answer that delicate question. It was hard as the only way he could think of even explaining a bit was having to compare the Unforgivable and he was not going down that road.

"It means that the lava burned your skin to the bone and by association your nerves. That's tricky anyway, and they're having a hard time trying to make sure that you retain most of your nerve capability in your hand," he said carefully.

"You mean I might not be able to use my hand again?" Theo asked fearfully,

"Yes, they're doing everything they can to make sure that doesn't happen. But given the time when you were burned and when you came to have medical help, is bothersome," Remus said gently.

Theodore nodded slowly as he processed all of that, trying hard to stay in control. If he hadn't of grabbed Greg's hand, he wouldn't be in this mess. But for the life of him he didn't regret it. This was his price he paid for his friend dying. He had tried to save him and he would not ever regret doing all that he could. If anything he would blame himself for not doing enough. So what if he never gained all the nerves in his hand ever again? He was alive, and Greg and Vincent were not. What right did he have to complain about the lost of his wand hand so to speak? He sniffled as the very thought nearly took his breath away, and he gasped on the air.

"Theodore?" Remus asked hovering worriedly as he looked at the child literally breaking on the bed. He knew his hand was probably a huge loss to the child, and had no words of comfort at that time. Well none that he figured would help the situation.

"2 of my friends died today, and I may never use my hand again. I don't think that's a fair trade. I don't care about my hand, it doesn't matter. Nothing does they're never coming back," Theo cried out as his face fell into his left hand and he sobbed in earnest at the grief that was starting to overwhelm him.

Remus looked at the boy in alarm, having not expected this particular reaction but he should have. He had thought that the child would be more worried about his hand, but guess not. He knew what the boy was feeling however, he had been there. Granted not that young of age but he knew the pain that was eating away at him and he wished he could take it from him.

"I know, and I'm so sorry for your loss. I wish I could take this away from you, but I can't," he replied softly.

"This is isn't fair! This wasn't supposed to happen. This wasn't supposed to be real. Why did this happen? What did we do to deserve this? Is this punishment? Whatever I did I'm sorry," the little boy cried out brokenly feeling like his head would explode from the grief.

"You didn't do anything, none of this is your fault. This was mother nature," Remus said unable to take it any longer. He reached over to rub the child's back, expecting him to recoil in shock only to get a shock himself when the boy launched himself at his torso. He found himself yet again with the child crying in his chest as he comforted him.

"I'm sorry, I'm sorry, I'm sorry," Theodore was blubbering over and over again. He didn't understand what the hell was going on with himself at the moment. He felt out of control but he knew one thing he didn't want the man to push him away

"There's nothing to be sorry for. This was not your fault, you are not to blame for this," Remus told him gently but firmly as he whispered soothing words in the child's hair. He looked up suddenly when he saw someone quickly rush into the room, tightening his hold on the child.

"Remus it's just us," Charlie said quietly as he pulled Fred and Ron towards Percy's bed.

"Charlie," Remus breathed out, unable to move from his spot to stand up. He was well aware that the apologies had stopped once the boy realized they weren't alone anymore. However he could still feel the tears leaking through his robes, so the child was still crying.

"How is he?" Charlie asked, his eyes unable and unwilling to leave his little's brother's prone form in the bed.

"He's in no pain, he's in an induced sleep," Remus said vaguely.

"What was wrong with him?" Charlie asked when it became apparent that Fred wasn't going to answer anymore questions. As it was, the the boy in question was standing on the side of his brother's bed looking for the world like he was going to burst into tears.

"He was badly burned, his legs. I'm unsure of what happened as when he was port-keyed here he was alone," Remus told him.

"Fred and George were with him, but Fred isn't talking much at the moment," Charlie said gesturing with his head towards the boy in question.

"That's understandable," Remus said with a nod as they talk quietly not wanting to disturb the boys.

Fred forcibly bit his lower lip to stop trembling, well aware that his brother was watching him. He looked down at Percy on the bed, this was far cry from how the boy usually was and he didn't like it. He was fighting hard to make sure his emotions stayed where they were, and grabbed his brother's hand and held it tight.

"You'd better not die Percy, or mum we'll kill us," Fred said quietly as he squeezed the limp hand, wishing with every fiber of his being that his brother would just wake up. He looked to be as if he was sleeping but he knew having seen that this was more then just a normal sleep. He took a deep breath and found himself choking as he took in the rest of his brother's form.

Charlie was at his brother's side in an instant, patting his back to make sure that he was okay. "You good Fred? What is it?" He asked worriedly, trying to find the source of what caused the reaction as he tried to comfort his brother.

"His legs are gone, Merlin his legs are gone. We thought they would be okay, we saw but we thought. Oh no, he doesn't have legs," Fred blabbered out hysterically before he found himself starting to hyperventilate.

Remus for his part leaned over and pressed the button for a healer, sighing in relief when a moment later one appeared. They didn't even need to say anything before the woman was administering Fred and Theodore a calming potion.

"Do you need one Ron?" Charlie asked softly turning to look at his youngest brother.

"No, I'm good," Ron replied quietly as he took a seat by his brother's bed.

Charlie sighed and sat down with Fred, as he looked down at his brother. He wanted Percy to wake up to assure them all that he was okay, but at the same time he didn't want too. He didn't want to feel the inadequacy he was sure to feel when he saw he had no legs. He took a breath as he dropped his head into his brother's hair. "It's going to be fine,"

"No it's not, this is the furthest thing from fine," Fred said softly, allowing himself to close his eyes once he saw his mother coming into the room. He didn't want to be in here when she was aware of the fact that her favorite son would never walk again. The potion allowed him to keep calm but that didn't mean it made him unable to feel. He hurt all on the inside, what kind was this? He didn't like it. He was grateful however when his twin came, and he attached himself to his other half gaining comfort that he couldn't get any other way.

~*~*~*~The Ministry~*~*~*~

Dean took another deep breath from where he was pressed into the wall. There was so many people around him, but he had never felt more alone then he did in that moment. He couldn't remember for the life of him what the 7th year girl's name was, but her face was familiar to him. He couldn't believe how selfless she had been, she didn't have to save him. Why did save him? What had possessed her so? And why couldn't he have saved her back? He took another shuddering breath, shaking his head to dispel the thoughts. He couldn't think on that, he had to find his parents and Seamus's parents and her parents. He wouldn't cry, not now, he had to tell them. He couldn't leave them in the dark. He nodded again and steeled himself before pushing up against the wall, and looking around knowing that these were family members from kids from Hogwarts.

He felt so sick as he quickly spotted out Seamus's mum, and his heart rose along with his stomach in his throat. He should have never gone first, he should have made his friend go. Why? He pressed the heel of his hands in his eyes to push the tears back before he made his way towards her. He gently pushed pass people, feeling like the journey to her took forever but at the same time was too quick.

Soon enough he was in front of her, but she was looking at him she was walking quite rapidly to another parent. He didn't want to do this, to tell her. Why did have to be the bearer of bad news? She would hate him forever, as he hated himself now. This was all his fault. He should have known, he knew Seamus was afraid of heights, he had just forgotten in that moment as fear overrode everything.

"Mrs. Finnegan?" He called out timidly as he reached out to touch her at the same time.

"Yes?" Ailis Finnegan turned around, only to find in her surprise that it was her son's best friend. "Dean!" She said out with some relief as she hugged the child, knowing his mother was around here looking for him.

Dean swallowed the lump in his throat as he hugged back tightly in return. He couldn't do this, but he had too. He had no choice. "I have to talk to you," he told her softly.

"Of course you can dear, where's Seamus? Is he around here as well?" She asked, looking around for her son, already breathing a bit easier as her son and Dean were inseparable.

"No, he's not here," Dean whispered out as he pulled himself back from her hug to look at her. He felt like he was gonna be sick, not to mention why did he feel like something was stabbing his very heart, and his eyes burned. But he had to do this.

"Where is he then?" She asked frowning slightly, her relief making way for worry. "Is he okay?"

"No," Dean said bracing himself for this. He couldn't decided what hurt the most, and he was breaking apart from the pain of it.

"Oh Merlin, what happened?" She forced herself to ask, dread coursing through her body.

"We were in the castle, and um there was Lava from the volcano. And we were in a room together and then the lava was there too and we couldn't get out. So Seamus suggested the window, but we were up so so high, and he told me go first and I did..." Dean rushed out before he broke off with a gasp trying to get control of his emotions.

Ailis was still holding onto the child, looking at him pleadingly to finish. She could feel it in her heart now, where her son was. And while it didn't make it easier, she needed to hear all of it. For closure, but god this hurt so bad. "And then what?" She prodded gently.

"I climbed out the window and walked a few spaces so he could have room, but when I turned around he wasn't there, so I hurried back and was yelling at him to move, but he didn't. He was frozen in fear, so I tried to come back in the window to get him, but he broke off his necklace and shoved it at me and closed the window. He wouldn't let me go back in," Dean said hoarsely.

"Merlin," she breathed out harshly as the grief hit her in that very moment, and would have fallen if it hadn't been for the child's arms around her.

"I'm sorry, I'm sorry. I never should have gone first, I tried to go back but he wouldn't let me," Dean said was telling her frantically as if she wouldn't believe him.

"Don't you dare blame yourself," she told him seriously, her voice in that moment strong despite the fact that she felt like she would fall any moment.

"It is my fault, he's my best friend. I should have remembered he was afraid of heights. It's my fault," Dean said before he finally broke down, his face pressed into her stomach as he cried. "I'm sorry,"

"Oh Dean, it's not your fault. Far from it honey, this was not your fault, and I don't blame you in the slightest," she told him tearfully as she rubbed his back trying to comfort him. She bent her down and buried it in his hair and cried for the loss of her son, wondering how they were all going to get through this.

The pain in her heart felt like she was getting ripped to shreds, and as much as it hurt her, she had to wonder just how much pain Dean could take. As she knew without a doubt that he had witnessed his best friend's death. How did one get over that? She didn't know, but she knew that she wouldn't let him give up that was for sure. He would live, since Seamus couldn't, he would live for them both. And he would live his life to the fullest, she would make sure of that.

The End.
End Notes:
What did you think? Hoped you liked it...dont be a flamer if it wasnt your cup of tea, *shrugs*
Chapter 12: The Ministry, St. Mungos, and Condolences by Severus Draconis Potter
Author's Notes:
If I didnt love this story so much I would be depressed on the reviews last chapters. But thank you my 3 faithful ones, this is for you. My muse is ignoring my other stories at the moment so I've been writing on this one this entire weekend. Enjoy and review,it's good motivation.

Albus sighed for what must have been the 5th time in only a few minutes or so, Fudge was an idiot the man really did lack sense. He could see the restless child out the corner of his eye and he felt for him he really did. They had been in here talking with the man for an hour now, and yet he was still asking what happen. Albus could see that Severus's right eye was beginning to twitch and he stifled a grin knowing that the man's little patience was also wearing thin. What part of volcano didn't the man get?

"So you're telling me that the protections at the most coveted school in the world failed against a simple volcano?" Cornelius asked out in disbelief.

"Yes that is what he said. The founders and everyone else after that who aided in the warding, made sure it was protected against magical attacks. They didn't think about the possibility of a natural disaster," Severus said in clipped tones as he leveled the man with a glare.

"I see," Fudge muttered flinching at the look the man was giving him. He understood it, it was just how was he going to explain this to everyone? It just seemed impossible when one thought about it. His musings were cut off, when he noticed the boy in the corner making his way towards them. He was well aware who this child was, but he hadn't gotten a chance to even speak to him other then a greeting, the old man had made sure of that.

"Snape? I gotta go to the bathroom," Harry informed his teacher. He was dying of boredom, he wanted to make sure all his friends were okay, but so far he had been stuck in here listening to silence and it was driving him bonkers.

"Thank Merlin," Severus breathed out, ignoring the look Albus was now giving him. But he was looking for a reprieve, Fudge was truly an idiot and he would take any break he could get. This one coming in the form of the child.

" It's Professor Snape Harry," Albus reprimanded gently.

"But he let's me call him just Snape," Harry said softly as he looked at the man silently.

"Albus it's fine. I know he means no disrespect," Severus told him as he stood up and stretched and grabbed the boy's hand.

"Alright then. But Severus, once you're through with Harry, if you can make your way to the conference room where the families of the Hogwarts students are waiting that would be great. I would like for you to read from this list. I just need you to separate the families from the ones whose children's survived and those who didn't. I don't wish to give them heir bad news in front of everyone. It causes resentment when they wonder why someone else's child lived but theirs didn't," Albus told him quietly.

The potion master nodded. "Will do," he promised as he pocketed the list before they disappeared out the office.

Harry breathed a sigh of relief when they were out the stuffy office, looking around the hallway curiously. "Are you gonna show the rat?" He asked softly.

"I am, but now is not the time, currently he has ingested the draught of the living death. And in order for him to be woken he has to be administered the antidote. He will not be running away anytime soon," he promised the boy.

"Oh okay, good," Harry said cheerfully before he pressed himself into the man's side. This place was crawling with reporters. He trusted the man as he had no idea where to even go.

"The bathroom is just up ahead," Severus told the child, making sure that the child's raven hair was covering the famous scar.

"Okay," he said cheerfully, just happy to be out of that small hot room. He grinned, pushing away slightly from the man, only to suddenly freeze as he saw a man with blonde hair appear in the same hallway. "Oh crap," he whispered out, hiding his face back into the man's side. He hadn't forgotten last year about Malfoy trying to kill him and his friends.

"Lucius," Severus said smoothly, hoping Harry stayed where he was quietly. He nodded as he greeted the man, who made his way towards them.

"What has happened exactly Severus?" Lucius asked cutting straight to the point.

"A Volcano erupted and the school was in it's way," Severus said dryly.

"I see, did all the students get out?" He asked quietly.

"Draco did, if that's what you're asking. I watched him floo home myself," he replied quietly.

Lucius nodded curtly, that's all he cared about was his son. He needed his heir to still be alive obviously. He wrinkled his nose as he suddenly noticed the child pressed into the man's robe, trying to figure out just who the boy was. "And just who is this young one?"

Severus glanced down at Harry and gave a half shrug. "A first year Gryffindor, he was with Albus and I in a meeting with Fudge," he sneered.

"I see and why do you have him now?" Lucius asked, his eyes glinting as he was dying to know just what was going on in that meeting.

"He's in need of the facilities," Severus said gesturing to the door about a foot away from the.

"Then I won't hold you, but I will floo you tonight. We have much to discuss, old friend," Lucius said before he briskly walked up the hall.

Harry turned to watch the man leave before shuddering. "I do not like him at all," he admitted out softly.

"That's fine, come on. We still need to see the families," he said was they walked into the bathroom. Once Harry had finished taking care of everything he walked with the boy to the conference room set up for the families. He could see Hogwarts student's in the mix of everything and everyone and he hoped that Harry would stay close. Casting the sonorous charm on his throat before he started speaking.

"If I can have everyone's attention. The headmaster has asked for me to read the names of the children who are accounted for. But before I do that, can I please have the families of the students I call, to come forward and make your way into the conference room across the hall," Severus told them as he took a quiet breath.

Harry grabbed his teacher's hand, his eyes clinched shut himself. Now he would get to see which of his classmates didn't make it. He wasn't ready for this, but he had no choice. He felt himself choke on the first name, squeezing his teacher's hand tightly.

"Finnegan, Clearwater, Goyle, Crabbe, McMillan, Finch-Fletchley, Chang, McDougal, Bulstrode, Edgecombe, Smith, Creevey, Bell," Severus read quietly, his jaw clenching the longer he read but he kept his face emotionless as the families made their way out.

Harry was crying in the man's side, some of those were his classmates, he would never see them again. Seamus was dead, and found himself choking on a sob, his skinny arms hugging his Professor's waist tightly.

"Harry," Severus breathed out quietly but really what could he say. He couldn't tell the child to stop, he was obviously grieving. He had to comfort him later because the last of the families of the deceased had exited and he addressed the crowd.

"I'm sorry," he blubbered out, trying to get control of himself. He willed himself, pretending that he was standing in front of Uncle Vernon and that man hated it when he cried. He managed it, quickly wiping his eyes and removing himself from his Professor's person. He was aware of the man turning to look at him.

"We are going to have a talk, I do not like that method at all," Severus told him sternly.

Harry was looking at him bewildered at his reaction before he sighed and looked at the ground. He couldn't do anything right it seemed. Trying not to think on the friends he had lost he listened closely to this one, hoping the rest of his friends were okay.

~*~*~*~*~*~St. Mungos*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Theodore glanced up at the brown haired man who he was currently using as a chair. His Professor hadn't complained even once and hadn't put him down. Not that he wanted to be put down, he liked this comfort but it was still very different then he was used too. He liked it, and he was glad that the man hadn't pushed him away because of him being a Slytherin. He stared harder at the man trying to make sense of that. As Gryffindor and Slytherins hated each other right?

"Is there something on my face?" Remus asked with a slight chuckle as the child continued to stare at him.

"No, I was just wondering something," Theo said ducking his head as he blushed.

"Anything I can help you with?" He asked curiously.

"Maybe, but you might get offended," he admitted.

"I won't get offended," Remus promised wondering what this was all about.

"I don't understand you Professor, I'm a Slytherin," Theodore stressed out.

"And I was a Gryffindor, your point being Theodore?" Remus pointed out.

"That's what I mean, Gryffindors hate Slytherins, and vice versa. Why are you so nice to me? Why did you save me? Do you want something in return?" Theo rushed out, looking at the man warily.

"No, I want nothing in return. I saved you because you are my student first, regardless of what house you live in. None of that matters in a life or death situation. You are somebody's child and I wouldn't be doing my duty if I turned my back on you," Remus told him seriously.

"Thank you," Theo whispered out softly, suddenly overcome with emotion.

"There is no need for thanks. I would do it again in a heartbeat," Remus said easily.

The little boy nodded trying to make sense of that, as he glanced over to the other side of the room. That was another thing that he was confused about, when the Matriarch of the Weasely clan had rushed in to check on the boy on the bed she had asked about him. She had even gone as far to hug him, he was well he wasn't horrified just surprised. What was it with Gryffindors and lack of no personal space? He contemplated that, not even noticing that his father had been standing in the doorway for the past five minutes or so, as he was lost in his thoughts. He sighed softly, turning to look at the sleeping boy on the bed next to his.

"When will he wake up?" He asked softly.

"A few days to a week I think, his magic was nearly burnt out. It was sustaining him until he could get the help he needed. It kept his body alive and nearly turned him into a squib. He's in a healing coma so that he won't waste unnecessary magic as his magical core is still depleted," Molly replied quietly.

"Oh," Theo replied softly because he didn't know what to say.

Molly gave him a sad smile before her eyes looked up to the man in the doorway. "Can we help you with something?" She asked softly.

"I'm Theodore's father," the man replied quietly as he stared at his son on the lap of a man who he knew to be firmly on the light side. Just what was going on here?

"Father," Theodore whispered out formally, before he hastily slid himself off of his Professor's lap, his bandaged arm sitting upright still as it was still spelled.

"What happened Theodore?" He asked a frown gracing his face. The people in the room knew exactly who he was, and what he was and he knew them. His son however was oblivious to it all and he would keep it that way as long as he could.

"There was a volcano and it erupted and it hit Hogwarts. Professor Lupin saved me, but I got burned really bad," Theo blurted out as he looked at his father's stern face.

"I see, are you alright?" He asked, his eyes betraying his stern face as they were warm and very much worried about his son. He had already lost his wife he couldn't lose his son.

"For the most part, my arm is really burnt and they said something about the nerves in it?" Theo said in confusion as he looked at his teacher in explanation.

Remus stood up at that and made his way towards the man to shake his head. They could put aside their differences for now. "Given the severity of his injury, and how hot the lava was it burnt him clear to the bone. It burnt all of his nerves in his hand, and his arm," he explained quietly.

"Oh my Merlin," Charles breathed out, his heart stopping for a moment. "It's his wand hand isn't it?"

"It is," Remus confirmed softly.
"Oh no," the man murmured under his breath unable to believe this. Because of his status as a death eater, his son was constantly in danger from both sides. He knew the Dark Lord would return but he would do everything he could to keep his son from it. His wife had hated the Death eaters and he had promised her that he wouldn't allow Theodore to follow his path.

"Dad it's not so bad, it could be worse. Greg and Vince are dead," Theo whispered out sadly.

"What?" The man choked out softly.

"They died today, and that's why I got burnt. I tried to save Greg but I failed," he confessed sadly as he wrapped his arms around his torso in self comfort.

Remus sighed as he looked from the child and back to the man warily. He hated turning his back on the Death Eater but he couldn't leave the boy wallowing in that grief and he hurried to the boy. "It is not your fault," he said firmly as he picked the boy up again.

Charles's eyes flashed up to the look at the man who was holding his son, but he didn't reach for the boy. It had been a long time since he had even hugged his child. His wife had done all of that and when she had died he and Theodore survived. His heart clenched at what his child had gone through and he felt the inadequacy that he might not be able to do anything to help him. But the man holding him could. He wasn't stupid though, he knew the Dark Lord would rise again and if his son had a protector on the light side he would be okay. He would be safe, and he looked up at the man in a new light.

"We need to talk," he told the man quietly.

"And we shall," Remus replied softly.

Molly was staring at the whole scene with wide eyes, unsure if they forgotten she was there but simply spelled a privacy charm around them and spelled the curtains around their side of the room and left them too it. She held her son's hand tightly, one hand brushing his hair back. She sniffled softly, before turning to look at the child in her side. Since she had gotten here Ronald had attached himself to her, and hadn't said another word. That was unusual and it had her worried but she didn't push him away. Why would she?

"Ron, would you like to go see where the Twins and Charlie have gone off too?" She asked quietly, just wanting to hear his voice. But she was disappointed when all he did was slightly shake his head, he didn't even look up at her. She knew then, it wouldn't be just Percy who struggled with the aftermath. Why them? Could this have been prevented?

On the other side of the privacy charm, Remus was laying the child in the bed, as a nurse had just walked in and didn't like the way his heart rate had gone up, she wanted him to rest. He nodded, letting her do her work and it wasn't long until the child was sleeping. He looked up as Nott spelled their side of the room and took seat.
"Let's cut to the chase. You know who I am, and what I was and who I will be. And I know who you are, and what your hiding," Charles started out quietly.

Remus unconsciously tighten his grip on his wand as he gave a curt nod to the man across from him. "I see, what is it you want?" He asked his tone gaining a steel tone.

"Theodore's safety," he replied simply.

"Would you mind elaborating on that?" Remus asked in slight confusion. The boy was safe now, they could clearly see that.

"There's going to come a time when the Dark Lord returns and when he does we will be both take our places on two different sides. I have no wish for my son to follow me," Charles said softly.

Remus took a breath, wondering what the hell he had agreed to listen too. This was not how he envisioned this talk to go. What was the man playing at? "I fail to see where I'm needed,"

"He trusts you, he's always had a good grasp on someone's character. So regardless of your status as a werewolf I will trust you with his life," he replied tightly. He was uncomfortable with this situation and asking for help but he needed to do it.

"So you're saying when the time comes, you want me to watch over him?" Remus asked bluntly.

"Not just when the time comes, now as well if you could," he admitted.

"And if something were to happen to you, you do realize that he would be going straight to your associates, as I have no legal say over him," Remus pointed out.

"Not yet you don't, but you will. I will not leave my son's life to chance. I love him far to much for that," Charles replied his voice thick with some type of emotion.

"And how will you do that?" Remus asked quietly.

"Simple really, I will make you his godfather," Charles said with a slight shrug.

"I'm a werewolf," he pointed out slowly as the man was slow.

"Oh I know, but I'm on the board and I'm the head of the Noble house of Nott. They will not contest it, not if I put it," he promised.

"I'm not sure Theodore will approve of this," Remus said quietly.

"He will, he would not have let you comfort him if he didn't," Charles said quietly. "I know my son,"
Remus didn't know what to say to that, so he didn't say anything allowing them to fall in a small companionable silence.

"I am in your debt, remember that. Thank you again for saving my son, I will return with the proper documents," Charles said standing up and giving the man a curt nod.

"Alright, I'll still be here with him," Remus promised as he watched the man silently walk out. He shook his head trying to clear it. What the hell did he just agree on? And why didn't he mind?

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Dean was holding tightly to Mrs. Finnegan's hand. Her husband had stayed home with their daughter and was awaiting news about his son. News that he knew the man would never ever want to hear. He hadn't wanted to go into the room that Professor Snape had told them to go into knowing what coming. He had been horrified beyond belief when he heard the last names of some kids that he had classes with and was friends with.

He shook his head, trying to shake the thought away. He wondered what was taking the man so long. He turned to look at the group in the room, some of them had hope in their eyes and he couldn't look at them for long. If he was right and he had a hunch he was then this was group of the families whose kids didn't make it. He swallowed thickly finding himself drawn to a woman who seemed to resemble that 7th year girl who had saved him. He was sure he knew who she was but for the life of him he couldn't think of her name. He tried to pull away from Mrs. Finnegan but she wouldn't let go.

He simply sighed and pulled her along with him as he made his way to the couple, the woman who was clutching something tightly in her hand. As he got closer he could see that it was a picture, but he couldn't see who was on it.

"Excuse me, can I see the picture?" He asked softly.

"Do you know my Penelope?" She asked quietly as she quickly moved her hand so he could see the photo. He was unable to stop the gasp from escaping his throat and he felt his knees buckle.

"Dean! Dean? What's the matter honey?" Ailis called out worriedly as she held the child up.

"That's the Head girl, how did I not recognize her? How didn't I know?" Dean was mumbling incoherently to himself, his eyes stinging as they tried to fill with tears.

"Yeah we are very proud of her. She worked so hard for this," Robin Clearwater replied with a proud smile at her daughter's achievement.

"Yeah," Dean replied softly as he grasped the hand in his tightly. "I need to tell you something Ma'am,"
"What is it?" She asked curiously.

Dean ran his free hand over his eyes as he gathered himself again. He could just leave this to Professor Snape to do but the man had no way of knowing how the girl died. Didn't her parents deserve that? Especially when she saved him, he owed them and her that much. He sniffled hard bracing himself to deliver another set of bad news.

"I don't know if you want to hear this, but I feel that you deserve to know," Dean said quietly as he fought back tears again.

Richard Clearwater suddenly got a bad feeling in his stomach, and was about to tell the boy that he didn't want to know when his wife spoke. She wanted to know.

"When the lava got inside Hogwarts, some of us had to take to the ledges on the castle to keep from getting burnt," he started off.

"Was this after Seamus?" Ailis asked softly.

"Yeah," he replied allowing his tears to fall at the mention of his best mate. "And um there was a couple of other kids standing on the ledges too with me. But it was hard, and it was so small to stand, and I almost fell off," Dean continued quietly.

"You did? Oh god, I don't know what I would do if I lost you both," Ailis replied softly, knowing that their families were very close and that Dean's mother would take Seamus's death just as hard.

"Yeah, I almost died too, but this girl saved. She pulled me back on the ledge and I was able to hold on again. But I couldn't remember her name at the time, fear and adrenalin took over," he said quietly.

"It was Penelope?" Richard asked softly, even if he already knew the answer.

"Yes sir, I didn't even get a chance to thank her. Because when I turned around, she was falling too, and I couldn't her like she got me," Dean cried out softly.

"So you're telling me, my daughter fell?" Robin managed to choke out.

"Yes Ma'am," he said before he started crying in earnest again.

"Oh dear god," Richard breathed out, before he engulfed his wife in a hug, as she started crying gut wrenching sobs.

"I'm sorry, I just thought you wanted to know how. So when the Professor comes in you won't end up wondering," he whispered out sadly before he turned to bury his face in his Mrs. Finnegan's robes. "I hate this, I don't want to be the bearer of bad news anymore, it hurts so bad," he sobbed to her softly.

"I know it does honey, and I'm sorry you had to witness all of this. I wish I could take it all away from you," she told him sadly.

Severus exited out the conference room where the atmosphere was cheering and overjoyed as relatives celebrated that their children were alright. His heart was heavy at the thought of having to deliver this particular news to the room across the way. He could feel the child pressed against him again and he didn't want to do this with Harry.

"I don't wanna do this," Harry told the man with a pout, unknowingly having the same thoughts of his Professor.

"I know, I don't want you here for this, but I can't leave you out here," Severus told him apologetically.

"Maybe we can see if," here Harry trailed off as he looked down the hall. "Headmaster!" He called out.

Severus blew out a sigh of relief, and walked halfway to meet the man, holding out the parchment to the old man. "I've separated the families and the ones with the deceased children are in there waiting for us. However I think it would be better if you deliver the news. Harry doesn't need to hear any of this, and I need to go to St. Mungos to check with Minerva," the man said quietly.

Albus nodded, he knew he had to bear this burden and he was fine with it. It was small price to pay for failing his students, his children when they needed him the most.

"We will see you later," Severus said as he walked down the hall with the child, intent on flooing to the Hospital.

The End.
End Notes:
What did you think? Hoped you liked it too.
Chapter 13: Picking up the pieces and Rebuilding by Severus Draconis Potter
Author's Notes:
So, first off I've never written a funeral invitation before, and hope I dont have to anytime soon. The story is going to time skip in the next chapter but I will put Brackets. So for anyone wondering the Timeline for the volcano. More will be added in each chapter to keep it from getting confusing.

It hit the school on October 20, a week before Halloween
Chapter 13: Picking up the pieces and Rebuilding

Albus Dumbledore, had never felt so old then he did when he came from the conference room addressing the parents and guardians of the children who had died. He didn't think he would ever forget the look on their faces as they receive the news. He was supposed to protect them, they were entrusted in his care and he failed them all.

He steeled himself, because he knew in the upcoming days and weeks, he would need to be strong. Many people would have to bury their children, and say goodbye. And he needed to be their strength when they had none of their own left. He could do this, and would be a small price to pay but he would do it, for every single student. He headed towards the atrium as Fudge had set up the wizarding wireless (much like a muggle radio) that allowed news to be broadcast into the homes of every magical person under the jurisdiction of the British Ministry of Magic. He would make his announcement there. With his emotions under control he made his way to the atrium.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Harry was tired, and his body hurt but he tried to stay quiet on that. He attached himself to his Professor once more as they flooed to St. Mungos, landing in a waiting room of some sort. He dragged his feet unconsciously, the adrenalin wearing off, he was on the verge of collapsing.

"Harry? Are you alright?" Severus asked stopping as he realizing the boy had fallen behind him.

"I'm just really tired," he mumbled out quietly. He couldn't hide his fatigue anymore, the day was catching up with him.

"I'm not surprised, it's been a hell of a day," he said as he picked the child up. "I will get you checked out, and then we'll look for Minerva after,"

Harry's eyes widened at the implications of that and shook his head frantically. "I'm just tired! I don't need to get looked at. Its not that serious!" He said a burst of energy coming from nowhere as he tried to get out the man's arms.

Severus gave the boy a stern look. "I beg to differ Mr. Potter, we just came through an ordeal. I need you get checked out, to make sure there are no surprises. You will not win on this Harry, so don't fight me," he told the boy firmly.

Harry nodded meekly, knowing he had no chance when that tone came out. He was so dead, he had remembered earlier that day that his Professor had told him to get healed in the Infirmary. He hadn't gone and now, shit was about to hit the fan. He was so screwed. He said nothing as his Potion's Professor approached a desk and talked quietly to her about them coming from Hogwarts. They were rushed up to a floor that was filled with Professor's and Students from the school. He swallowed thickly, feeling the room freeze as everyone got a look at them. He resisted the urge to bury his face in the man's shoulder.

He could hear the whispers ranging from him being severely hurt to the potion master holding him hostage and he shook his head at the absurdity of it all. They were ushered into a private room where he found himself placed on the bed. He didn't even have a chance to speak when a Medi-witch bustled in through the door, and stared at her in horror when she flicked her wand at him, and had him magically changed into a hospital gown. He wrapped his thin arms around himself, trying to hide the bruises that he knew were there.

"What are you doing?" He whispered out in obvious embarrassment and fear.

"She's about to do a scan of your body to make sure you have no injures ailing you at the moment," Severus replied briskly.

"No, I don't want her to do that. I don't consent. Stop!" Harry screamed out starting to freak out which led to him jumping off the bed and trying to make a break for it. He was panicking, surely if he said no that would mean that she wasn't allowed to scan him right? As a child did he have rights such as these?

Severus was more then glad for his quick reflexes and had his arm stretched out and the child pressed tightly against his chest. "Stop this at once Harry," he told the boy quietly.

"But I'm fine!" He screamed out anxiously as he tried to get out the man's grip.

"Oh you are far from fine," Severus told him dryly, as he held the child securely. It wasn't that hard considering the boy was small for his age. If the child was really fine, then he wouldn't protest the check up. His reaction alerted him that he was hiding something, and knowing Harry as he was starting too, meant an injury of some sort and he wasn't having that.

"I agree with the Professor," the woman said as she looked at him for a moment. She couldn't put her finger on it, but his behavior screamed at her and she knew then something wasn't right.

"I want Madame Pompfrey, I don't know her!" Harry shrieked, trying to claw away from his Potion's Professor. At this point, he was afraid at what the adults would fine, and what the woman might say when she saw his injuries. It would be on the front page tonight, he was sure of it.

"Cease this at once Mr. Potter!" Severus hissed out, setting the child on the bed and sticking him to it.

Harry froze at the one, his eyes wide as he realized he had been throwing a tantrum, like Dudley. Seriously? What the hell was he thinking? They clearly knew something was wrong and were going to find out, he was so effed.

"That's fine, I just saw her actually. I will be back with Poppy," she said not at all offended that the child preferred his school Medi-witch to her. The woman had been warned that this was Harry Potter, and she had been in awe for a moment until he threw the fit. He was still only a child and she quickly realized that. She was after all a stranger, and if she was being honest the boy looked small enough to pass for a 1st year, and she knew that the school Medi-witch would be more effective then she ever could.

"I'm sorry Professor," Harry whispered out softly, from where he was staring at his toes.

"We are going to have a chat later, on just why you decided to throw a tantrum in the middle of a hospital," Severus said tightly.

"I don't know her, and she can't know about me. She'll tell everyone," he whispered out sadly.

"What can't she know? Are you hurt Harry? Don't you dare lie to me," he said barely refraining from snapping at the child.

"A little, but it's not from the Lava," Harry admitted. There was no point to keep it in, as soon as Madame Pompfrey came in here they would all know anyway.

"What happened?" Severus asked carefully, aware the child was omitting the truth from him.

"Um, I just....I didn't go to the hospital wing earlier when you told me too," he said hanging his head shamefully.

Severus froze for a moment, allowing the memories of earlier that day to wash over him. He remembered cornering the child and discovering, the abuse! He turned to give the child a hard look, his eyes showing only concern for the boy.

"Are you mad Mr. Potter? Did I not tell you that you're injures were more then severe? And you ignored my word and have been parading around with them all damn day? You foolish child," He said in dangerous tone.

Harry's breath hitched his teacher sounded like he was trying to refrain from yelling at him. He knew he had been stupid but there was just so much going on and truth be told he thought Snape would have forgotten if he was being honest. After all he wasn't one of the man's Slytherins, he was just a Gryffindor.

"Yes sir," he managed to choke out curling into himself the best that he could.

"I see, well I'm very disappointed in you Harry. I thought you were smarter then that. I thought you knew better, to listen when I said something, as I'm not one for idle chit-chat. But I can I see that I was wrong," Severus said with a sad tone. This worked on his Slytherins, and he knew that Harry was no different, the child needed to be taught a lesson, on trust and tough love.

Harry was staring at the man in horror at his words, an unidentified emotion hitting him hard in his chest, it hurt. What the heck he was feeling? And why did he care? Well that much was simple because he obviously liked Snape now, was that the right word? He shook his head, trying to rid himself of the sudden tears. Did this mean that the man didn't like him anymore?

"I thought I could trust you, but I was wrong about that as well," he continued.

"Stop!" Harry whimpered out tearfully, his eyes bulging out, as he pressed his hands to his ears he didn't want to hear this anymore. "You can trust me!" He pleaded to the Potion's Professor.

"I can't," Severus said with shake of his head. "I told you to visit Poppy, and you deliberately disobeyed me," he pointed out.

"Not on purpose, because of everything going on. I just forgot, please," Harry said before he found to his utter horror that he burst into noisy tears.

Severus sighed as he looked at the child on the bed, in all honesty he had forgotten about telling the child to go to the infirmary and Harry was right. The lava had taken over every thought, but that was no excuse for now. He was getting check out, and that's what mattered. He made to comfort him only to freeze when the door opened.

"Poppy," he said wearily.

"Hello Severus, do you know what is ailing him so?" She asked worriedly, her wand already out as she took in the crying form of the child on the bed.

"Injuries from his relatives, that he was trying to hide from you. As for what he's crying for, well I simply told him I was disappointed that he tried to lie to me," Severus said quietly.

Poppy gave him a look once he had finished, her heart feeling torn. She wished that Harry hadn't had this lesson, but there was nothing she could do for it. He needed to learn that not all adults would punish you for telling the truth or hiding things. She nodded and simply did her diagnostic scan on the boy.

"Harry child, please uncurl for me," she asked the boy gently.

The little boy quieted his sobs and after a moment, uncurled himself but he didn't look at anyone. He wasn't even sure Snape was there anymore.

"Harry it's really not the end of the world, well not today," Severus said dryly.

"But you're mad at me, and you're not gonna be nice to me anymore," he hiccuped sadly.

"Hush Harry, just we will have our talk in due time, I promise," Severus told him gently, ignoring the knowing look from the Matron at the use of the boy's first name.

Poppy said nothing, but she didn't have to when her face said everything. Clearly something had happened while the whole mess with the volcano was going on it and seemed that Harry and Severus were getting on a bit better. Thank Merlin for that, they were so alike at times it was uncanny to her. She ran her diagnostic check before tapping the parchment on what she needed and a moment later a nurse came in with the potions and balms.

"As much as he asked for me, I don't think he'll allow me to put this on him," she told Severus before gesturing for him to come.

"That's fine, I will do it. We need to speak to Minerva after, Albus will be speaking in a few at the ministry," he said as he took over her and started talking quietly to the child so he could take the potions.

"I just saw her, she's in the room with a Gryffindor first year, Amanda Flint I believe," Poppy said as she made her way out the room.

Harry perked up at that, wiping his face quickly as he glanced at his teacher. "I get to see Mandy?" He asked hopefully.

"Probably," Severus said as he administered the balm on the child, waiting a few minutes so it could take affect.

"Are you mad at me still?" Harry whispered out.

"No, we will talk later. We don't have time for this, I'm not going to suddenly hate you Harry either. There is nothing you can do or say that's going to change that," he promised the child before he picked him up again and made his way out into the hall. After getting directions to the correct room he walked there surprised to the Minerva with said child in her lap, looking quite content.

"Harry!" Amanda said cheerfully, but didn't jump off the woman's lap to get to him. For one she probably couldn't her feet were in heavy bandages all the way to her mid calf.

"Hi Mandy, are you okay?" He asked in concern gesturing to her bandages.

"Yeah, I don't really feel them," she promised him.

Severus set Harry on the bed, watching as Minerva did the same before they moved a bit towards the window and spelled a selective privacy charm around them. They could hear the children but the children themselves couldn't hear the adults.

"How did it go at the Ministry?" Minerva asked quietly.

"Fudge is an idiot, it took an hour for him to believe that yes Lava had hit Hogwarts and no amount of the warding helped. He and Albus talked for a bit longer but I wasn't there for it thankfully," Severus said with a shake of his head.

"It was that bad? Where did you go?" She asked curiously.

"Toilet, I had Harry and he needed it. I wasn't complaining that imbecile of a minister was risking the chance of getting cursed the longer I stayed." he admitted.

Minerva's lip twitched at that, before shaking her head. That was the Severus she knew and loved. "What about the families?"

"I informed the ones whose children lived, but I had to separate them from the ones with children who were deceased. Albus informed their families," Severus said tightly.

"But you saw the names didn't you?" She found herself asking.

"Do you want to know the names of your Gryffindors?" He asked her quietly.

"Not just my Gryffindors Severus, all of my students," Minerva said harshly.

"I don't remember the full list, only a couple names stood out to me and no they weren't all Slytherins. Albus has the full thing," he said before he took a breath, preparing to feel the wave of grief.

"Can you tell the ones you remember then?" She asked softly.

"Finnegan, Harry's taking that one hard, Crabbe and Goyle, Creevey. Bell, and Bulstrode. That's all I can think off the top of my head," Severus repeated quietly to her.

"Oh dear God," she gasped one hand over her heart, in her shock. There wasn't anything she could even say, why couldn't this all be a bad dream?

"I know," Severus said quietly as he pushed the emotions far behind his mental barriers.

He knew she needed a moment to process it, and he took that time to make his way over to the children. He felt with a rather heavy heart when he heard that they were talking about Black. No doubt the man would get custody of Harry, and that was fine Harry needed to be away from the Durselys. However he couldn't stop the train of thought of wanting to be there for the green eyed child. What if he himself could adopt Harry?

He shook his head at such a preposterous thought, was he out of his mind? He scoffed silently to himself, keeping his face blank as the boy in question turned to look at him only to grin widely. This is what he was talking about, what did Harry see in him to smile at? He hadn't done anything worthwhile for the child and yet here he was attached to him. He sighed as he sat on the chair, trying to think about the next upcoming days. How were they going to do this?

"Professor, if I'm not going back to my relatives, where will I stay? I think Hogwarts is gonna be closed," Harry said timidly.

Severus sighed, he didn't really know the answer to that but he wasn't about to have the child worrying over something of this nature not when other things took precedence over it. "You will probabaly stay with the Headmaster," he said carefully.

"Why not you?" Harry voiced softly.

It was a good thing he was used to blanking his face as that particular question nearly caught him off guard. He sighed though knowing he couldn't be the stability that Harry needed.

"Because I will be one of the few who will have to eventually go back to Hogwarts and check out its state," he replied smoothly leaving out he knew he would also be searching for the dead as well but Harry definitely didn't need to hear that, the girl either.

Harry gave the man a morose look at that answer before he shrugged like he didn't care. He didn't want the man to see how much that really hurt. He knew an excuse when he heard one and that one was. "It's okay Professor, I know I'm not one of your Slytherins," he mumbled out before he shook his head and turned away from the man going back to talk to Amanda.

The potion Master's heart clenched at that admission, knowing immediately that Harry had clearly taken it the wrong way. He frowned and reached to turn the child around only to freeze as he heard the Headmaster's voice. What the hell? Albus hadn't followed them, that he knew. He figured it had to be the wizarding wireless, and nodded quieting the children so they could all hear.

~Ladies and gentlemen of the Wizarding Community, I have an announcement to make. It's neither exciting nor happy but its my duty to inform you all of it. As you know my name is Albus Dumbledore, Headmaster of the Esteemed school Hogwarts of Witchcraft and Wizardry. It's with a heavy heart that I inform you that today, the students, the Professor and I were caught off guard by an unseen force.

Mother Nature reminded us that even though we have magic, we are far from invincible. A mountain not far from the Castle erupted suddenly and the school and the students were in its way. We had no warning and though I tried my best to get everyone out of there I failed. And for that I beg for your forgiveness. It was my duty to protect all of my students and my Professors and I did not succeed. So I have decided to give up my post as Headmaster, and hope that someone else will be more suited for the job~

"No!" Harry screamed out turning to look at his Professor in horror at what he just heard.

"Calm down Harry, I don't know what Albus is doing but trust him. They are not going to let him go that easily," Severus said quickly his own heart pounding at the man's words. He didn't need to turn to look at Minerva or Amanda already knowing their expressions mirrored his and Harry's. And he was right, he could hear the cries out outrage in the hall and through the wireless himself. He smirked to himself at the Headmaster's voice came through again,

~I stand corrected, I will not be retiring my post. Just a little old man humor, but on a serious note. Any families that find that they are unable to pay for the services of their loss, come see me or Minister Fudge we have something set up for just this purpose. Again, I'm so very sorry for inability to save them. As of right now Hogwarts is closed for the remainder of the year, take this time to grieve, and enjoy the time with your family. All exams will be post phoned until further notice~

"Hogwarts closed, I knew it," Harry whispered out softly. He didn't know where he was going to go, but he knew that wherever it was it wouldn't be with Snape. The man had made it very clear that nothing truly had changed. If it did then he would be going home with him right?

~*~*~*~*~*~St. Mungos 1 Week Later*~*~*~*~*~*~*~


Remus sighed once more as he looked at the child across from him, as they played chess. Theodore was a bright child, he had seen that in class, he just hadn't gotten to know him but now he had. He hadn't seen much of Harry these pass few days but he knew he was being taken care of. Severus had him and he was in good hands he was sure, who knew? At the moment, he was just thinking on his good fortune despite the disaster at Hogwarts.

Charles had made good on his word and they had signed the papers within the hour. And to add to it, he was given a monthly stipend to take care of the boy, which he knew would help but the amount of it was way to much in his opinion but he knew what battles to pick and said nothing. 5,000 galleons a month was more money then his vault had seen in a long while. He shook his head, but he didn't do it for the money. He smiled at the boy across from him, smiling sadly at his cast arm but that was to be expected. It was still spelled to be still and every couple of days the nurses came back to do more painful tests to see if his nerves responded to them.

Those days were the worse and he tried his best to be the boy's rock, and be there and comfort him. He didn't know what to do all the time, but that was not an excuse he would give or give up for that matter. He sighed sadly as he looked over at Percy on the bed, the teen still hadn't woken up. But he wouldn't until they took him out the magical coma, apparently his magical core had been damaged and it would be worse If he woke up. He swallowed thickly, he had felt sick at the thought of all the children who had perished. Why did he continue to survive when so many others deserving of their life, died? Was fate truly a cruel bitch? He shook the thought away before he turned to look at the child, realizing he had been trying to get his attention.

"Yes Theodore?" Remus asked curiously.

"Do you know how long I have to stay in here?" Theo asked with a sigh. He was so tired of the hospital, this was the longest he could remember being in one and he hated it.

"I don't know, it's only been a week buddy. They need to run more test on your nerves," he told him apologetically.

"But I wanna see my friends, and I have to go to funerals and stuff," he said hurriedly, his breaths ragged as he got himself worked up.

"Theo, Theo, buddy, calm down. You can do all of that I promise, I will not let them stop you from saying goodbye," Remus told him as he pushed the chess set away and pulled the boy into his lap.

These episodes as he had taken to calling them had appeared the day after he had been admitted to the hospital. After the boy had woken up from a nightmare, the Medi-witch, said it was common in trauma patients. Panic attacks, Anxiety attacks, and flashbacks, meant a long road to recovery. He rocked the boy in his arms, knowing that calmed him , and he whispered soothing words into his ears.

Remus knew that Theodore wasn't the only child suffering, some stress over the volcano. From what he saw of Ron everyday, the red-head didn't even speak anymore. Anyone who knew him, knew how boisterous he was. The same could be said about the twins, they were usually pulling pranks but he had never seen them so grim. They much to young to have worry lines on their forehead but they were there, and getting more pronounced every day. He buried his face into Theodore's hair as he felt the boy calm down.

"I'm sorry," Theo breathed out, mentally kicking himself for that freak out. Where had that even come from?

"It's fine, you know it's nothing you can control. Do not worry about it, or you'll send yourself into another attack and we'll have to use a potion this time," he told him softly.

"Kay," he whispered out as he hugged the man's torso tightly.

~*~*~*~*~*~Dumbledore Manor~*~*~*~*~*~

Harry sighed once more as he slumped on the sofa. He was very much aware what day today was, but he didn't feel like celebrating it even more then usually did. He decided then and there he hated Halloween, nothing would ever change that. He looked across at Sirius who he noticed had his gaze on him for some reason. He shook his head turning away, the adults so far kept doing that to him. Snape had been right, the Headmaster had taken him after his announcement and while it was great staying here especially nice his godfather was here he wasn't really happy.

Harry hadn't even seen much of the Headmaster, as he was always in his office or at the ministry. He knew it had to be hard on him, but he simply stayed out the man's way. He didn't want to cause any trouble, just in case the man sent him back to the Durselys. He wanted Snape to be here, he hadn't seen the man in a week and he missed him so much, but he could say that could he. Snape didn't want him, as he found out already. His throat closed up at the thought and he forced himself to blink back the tears that tried to make themselves known.

"Harry?" Sirius asked cautiously as he saw the child on the verge of tears.

"I'm fine," Harry said hurriedly making sure he was looking anywhere but his godfather.

"Like you hell you are," he said dryly as he sat up. "Come here kiddo,"

"I'm fine!" He repeated a bit more loudly this time, sitting up himself as he prepared to bolt to his room. He swallowed thickly as he tried not to think on it anymore, he didn't need Snape. So the man helped him, big effing deal, that didn't mean a thing clearly.

"Oh you're far from fine," Sirius said with a pointed look as he stood up. He knew Harry needed to get this out of his system the sooner the better. He hadn't seen him cry, or scream or do anything to express any type of grief and he knew that wasn't normal in the slightest. He had no one to turn to as Albus was extremely busy so it was up to him, he was the boy's godfather anyway. He really wished Remus knew that he was innocent.

"I don't need your help," Harry grumbled out as he stood up, preparing to run before he spotting an owl coming through the window. He took that diversion for what it was and hurried to it.

"Harry bring your butt back over here," Sirius told him with a frown.

"There's an owl, he's got mail. So I have to get it," Harry told him as if his godfather was slow.

Sirius grumbled to himself but conceded that Harry did have a point. "What does it say? Who is it too?"

"Me," Harry whispered out as he let the letter, well invitation fall to the floor.

"Kiddo?" Sirius asked quietly as he made his way to boy.

"I gotta go to the bathroom," Harry said quickly before he turned and all but ran out the room.

Sirius was looking at his godson's retreating back with a look of confusion as he bent down and picked up the mail. He sighed softly and his eyes closed on their own accord as he read the invitation. He glanced at the picture of the child on it and shook his head, this was not supposed to happen. He really felt for the child's parents, shaking the thought away he read the missive.

You are invited to celebrate the life of Seamus R. Finnegan, Friend, son, brother.
Born May 13, 1980- Died October 20, 1993

His memorial service will be taking place on November 14, 1993, in Limerick, Ireland at St. Alphonsus Church, on the street of the same name. It will began at 9:00am, you can RSVP if you'd like, but it is not needed. If you have any questions, you can floo the Finnegan home and I will answer accordingly.

He shook his head sadly as gently set the letter on the table before he hurried to catch up with the child, Harry had to know that he couldn't run away from everything. Especially not this, not when he knew it was important that he get the chance to say goodbye, and to grief.

"Harry wait!" He called out as he jogged after the boy.

"I'm in the toilet!" He screamed out in return, couldn't his godfather take a bloody hint?

"You're not, come back here. We need to talk about this, you're obvious upset and with good reason," Sirius said calmly, but inwardly he was freaking out. He wasn't cut out for this, he didn't even know what he was doing. He himself was still grieving over James's death, how could he show Harry the right way when he himself wasn't there.

"I don't want to talk about it okay? So just drop it," Harry pleaded wondering his chances of his godfather leaving him alone. He slammed the door to his bedroom shut and locked it, hoping Sirius would leave him alone. He had to get himself under control.

"Damn it Harry, we are talking about this. Not now but very soon," Sirius grumbled out feeling out of his element once more.

 He knew he could spell the door open but what then? He wasn't prepared if Harry did decide to start crying or have a fit and he didn't think he knew how to do that. He shook himself off feeling inadequate for a moment before he heard the floo. He hurried back out to the floo room, hoping it was Albus and that the old man would be able to help him. He was dismayed and a bit annoyed when he saw that it was only Snape.

"Black, is Albus not here?" Severus asked when he saw the man. He had wanted to catch a glimpse of Harry to make sure the man was taking care of his needs but the boy was nowhere to be foound.

"He's not, he's been at the Ministry all day. Which blows because I could really use his help right about now," he grumbled out.

"Help with what?" Severus asked, his curiousity getting the better of him.

Sirius regarded the man for a moment before he shrugged. He had seen the man be gentle with Harry so at least he didn't feel like he would taunt him with this. He just need to share this grief with someone, before he exploded himself. "Harry got an invitation to Seamus Finnegan's funeral," he said tightly.

"Ahh, I'd been wondering when he would get it. He didn't take it well I presume?" Severus asked quietly.

"I don't know how he took it, he won't share it with me. Every time he starts to maybe crying he sucks it back up. The bloody boy won't let himself grieve and I don't know what to do," Sirius said his frustrations making themselves known to Snape of all people.

Severus's eyes narrowed at that, it would see that Harry was blaming himself, but for what he didn't know. At least not in that moment, he would soon no doubt. "Where is he now?"

"He locked himself in his room, I'm reluctant to go in as I don't know what to do," Sirius said as he flopped on the sofa.

"I'm going to check on his mental state," he decided as he made his way down the hall. He knew which room the boy's was as the sign on the door stated that it was 'Harry's Room'. He knocked on it and waited.

"Sirius I told you, I don't want to be bothered!" Harry yelled out, annoyed now.

"I'm not the mutt Mr. Potter, and you do well not to scream at me. We may not be at Hogwarts but I can still give you detention," Severus said in his silky voice.

Harry's eyes shot open as he quickly sat up in his bed, looking at his closed door with a look of disbelief. "P'fessor Snape? Is that really you?" He asked timidly.

"I assure you it is me, now open the door Mr. Potter," the man told him, his tone letting the child know it wasn't a request.

"Yes sir," Harry mumbled out as he went to unlock the door, and opened it. He couldn't help the small smile that grace his face at the man in his doorway. "What are you doing here?" He asked.

"I came to speak with Albus, but he is not here," Severus told him, eyes narrowing further when the boy's smile fell of his face and his gaze turned to the ground.

"Oh," Harry muttered before shaking his head. He was so stupid, did he honestly think that Snape had really come to see him. What a little moron, he wasn't a Slytherin, his own fault why he wasn't. And so of course the man didn't truly care.

"What is going in that empty head of yours Mr. Potter?" Severus asked quietly.

"Nothing sir," he murmured wondering how he was going to get out of whatever the hell his Professor wanted to say. Whatever the man came to say wasn't to be to his relief as he heard the floo ring again, and heard the Headmaster. Smiling softly to himself he glanced up at the man for a second. "Well he's here, I'd better go, goodbye sir," he said before he quickly shut the door once more.

Severus stood there dumbly for a moment, trying to figure out what the hell had just happened. Black was right, Harry didn't know how to grieve, did the child know how to feel? Giving his appalling relatives he probably shut all his emotions off to survive in that house. He would talk to him yes, but at the moment he did have something more pressing to talk to the Headmaster about. And with one last look of regret he headed back to the sitting room.

The End.
End Notes:
I hoped you liked it, and I hope this chapter didnt make you cry.
Chapter 14:Saying goodbye and Moving On by Severus Draconis Potter
Author's Notes:
This is what happens when you get nice reviews...you get an early update. It's hot off the press. Percy's reaction is in this chapter...he finally wakes up. Oh yeah, everyone whose ever been in a traumtic experiences knows everyone copes differently, you get to see the different types here.

Ron is closed off, Neville is overconfident, Draco is guilty, and Harry is numb. Those are just a few...but those 4..well really two of them are very important to this story.

Timeline:

October 20- Eruption,
October 21- School Closed,
November- Month of Funerals, Rebuilding Hogwarts,
December-Rebuilding Hogwarts,The trial,

Sorry for the longest Author note..Enjoy.
~*~*~*~November~*~*~*~

Draco picked at the tie on his suit, as he stared unseeingly in the mirror, who thankfully had nothing to say. Could animate inanimate objects pick up on somber moods? If so he thanked Merlin for the silence, as today was anything but a happy day. It was 2 weeks later, and he still felt like he was dreaming. He loosened his tie, before he took a breath and made his way downstairs where his mother was waiting. He wasn't sure where his father was and for once in his life, he didn't care. Today wasn't about him or Lucius it was about saying goodbye to Vincent. He closed his eyes trying to ignore the onslaught of memories that pushed themselves forward.

Draco couldn't believe that next week was Halloween or Samhain as the pure-bloods called it. They had all been looking forward to the feast at Hogwarts and had been talking about it since coming back that year. Now he could care less, it wasn't important, nothing was. They were dead. He had been horrified even more when they kept receiving more floo calls and owls from parents of other classmates and peers who had also died. He didn't even like Gryffindors but the fact that Seamus Finnegan; a kid the same age as he, had also perished hit him like a stack of bricks. It didn't matter about the houses he was the same age as Vincent and Greg. How close had he himself come to dying that day and didn't realize it? Why had he been spared?

He remembered his mum getting the floo call from Vincent's crying mother telling her that they had found his remains in the rubble that was Hogwarts. Parts of the school was gone, and it really did look like the ruins that the muggles all saw, or so he heard. He had no desire to go back there ever. He didn't want to do this, this was the first funeral of several he would have to go to these upcoming days and he wasn't looking forward to it. He gasped as the feeling of grief tried to overwhelm him yet again, and his eyes shot to his mother who was looking immaculate by the floo.

"Mum," he breathed out tearfully, knowing that if Lucius were here he would be in for it. He wasn't supposed to be weak, and show his emotions.

"Oh Draco, it'll be okay," Narcissa said soothingly as she quickly made her way to her son and hugged him tight.

"I don't want to go," he choked out.

"I know you don't, but we must. If you don't say goodbye to him, you'll wish you had forever," she told him, as she kissed his hair.

Draco knew she was right but that didn't make it any easier to accept. He simply tightened his grip around his mother's waist and cried into her stomach. He knew that she wouldn't move until he was ready and for that he was very much grateful for.

~*~*~*~*~St. Mungos~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Molly Weasely looked up from her knitting to find her youngest son fidgeting in his seat and she sighed wishing that he would speak up but he didn't. It had been two weeks since the tragedy at Hogwarts as the papers were calling it, and Ronald hadn't spoken since that fateful day. She not only had Percy to worry about who still hadn't woken up. They had taken him out of the magical coma, and now they were just waiting for him to wake up on his own.

If she could exchange places with him she would in a heartbeat. Ron hadn't left her side in those two weeks, he had never been a clingy baby per say but now it all changed. He seemed to be borderline catatonic and she felt inadequate at helping him. He didn't do anything for himself anymore he just sat there.

The first time she realized something was wrong was when they had all gathered to eat dinner the first night and he didn't reach for anything. She knew then something was wrong with her baby as you couldn't keep Ronald away from food. He only ate when she put the fork in his hand and when he finished he simply set it down and continued to stare blankly ahead, instead of grabbing for seconds like he usually did. It was a horrible feeling like she had failed so many of her sons. She found herself waiting for the day when the twins themselves snapped, after all they had seen Percy firsthand. As it was, they weren't saying anything about what they saw and heard for that matter on that horrific day.

She knew Ron needed to see a mind healer but they couldn't afford it. Percy's medical bills were already putting them through the roof and counting but she knew they couldn't deny him this treatment. She would have ask Bill or Charlie if they had a few galleons to spare as she wanted her son back. Her eyes flicked back to Ron and sighed before she turned to look at the twins who were talking quietly to each other.

"Fred," she called to them, knowing they would both turn as one.

"Can you please take Ronald to the toilet?" She asked him tiredly, hoping he didn't argue with her on this.

She wasn't sure why she was expecting an argument, as George (she knew it was him) simply stood up and went to help his younger brother. Her children were too compliant now, as if the fight had all gone out of them. She didn't like it, she felt for them, for all the children affected by this. She swallowed thickly as she saw another owl coming through the window knowing what it was already.

Another invitation to a funeral, she just wanted to protect them all from this but she couldn't. They would all have to say goodbye to their friends. She was so happy that she had sent Ginny to the Lovegoods today. As her sons walked out of the room, she retrieved the missive from the owl, opening it her heart clenched tightly at the invitation. Seamus Finnegan's funeral was in a few days, and he knew that while Ron wasn't ready he needed to go.

She grabbed onto her son's limp hand on the bed, tightening her grip on it, and willing him to be okay and wake up. She closed her eyes, her head falling on the bed, as the tears stung the back of her eyes. It was so hard to be strong for her children when she herself felt like she had no strength. Molly knew she had no right to even be complaining as all of her children had made it and there were others out there who lost their child. She took a shuddering breath, her hand unconsciously squeezing the small hand a bit tighter as she cried softly.

"Mum, don't cry. I'm fine see," Percy's soft voice said in the quiet room, giving her hand a small squeeze.

Fred's head snapped up to look at his brother, searching his face to make sure he wasn't lying about being in no pain. He could see his mother, looking torn between calling the Medi-witch and hugging the boy. He kept his eyes on his brother's face, not wanting to look down and alert him to the fact that he had missing limbs.

"Oh Percy, you had us worried so," Molly whispered out afraid to speak any louder, as she was sure that this was all a dream.

"I'm good mum, really good actually, I feel great," he said a smile gracing his tired face.

"Well I'm going to go check on George and Ron," Fred said, he didn't want to be here for the explosion that he knew was coming.

Percy gave his brother a sad smile. "I guess I survived Freddie, just like you said and now you and George can get back to teasing me and playing pranks," he said cheerfully.

Fred was staring at his brother silently, trying to get control of himself. It was too much too fast. He hadn't thought about a prank in two weeks, had felt no such desire to even attempt one. He hadn't allowed himself to cry since that day, and now it was like giant wave of it just hit him at once. His brother didn't know, and here he was joking about something as meaningless as that. He pressed his hand to his mouth, as his body violently shook.

"Oh Fred, it'll be okay," Molly said hurrying towards her son to engulf him in a hug, seeing the beginning of a break down.

"Why is he crying? Did someone...did one us...die?" Percy asked his breath hitching as he waited for the answer. He didn't know if he had lost a brother or a sister.

"No everyone is alright love. But Percy I need to tell you something," Molly said looking over Fred's shoulder to address the older boy.

"What is it mum? Is it bad? It's bad huh? Was it Ron?" Percy muttered, feeling hysteria coming up full force. He felt so in the dark, he needed to know what was wrong.

"Do you remember what happened to you?" Molly asked quietly.

"Yeah I was saving Chris and we got stuck in the hot lava, mum it was so hot. I felt like I was burning alive," he whispered out as the memories started to come back.

"I know honey, after that Professor Snape port-keyed you and got you the help you needed," she continued before she took a breath.

"But there's more huh?" He asked a bit rationally, even though he was starting to feel very much afraid.

"Yes, because of the intensity of the lava, it had completely burned away your flesh to the bone. There was nothing the Healers could do to save them," she said softly.

Percy took a shuddering breath, he knew instinctively what his mother was talking about. He needed her say it, as it was he avoiding looking down at the covers as if not looking made it it not real. His eyes filled with tears, as he looked at the ceiling, not even reacting when they fell.

"They're gone huh?" He asked tearfully.

"Yes honey your legs are gone," she confirmed quietly.

Percy turned them to look at the covers, he could see two bumps in the middle of the bed. But he couldn't see his feet. He started breathing heavily but he knew he needed to get this over with and simply pulled off the covers to see them fully. His legs were gone as his mother had said, they amputated just above the knee. He would never run, walk, or do any of that again. His life was over, he might as well have died. He was invalid and he didn't like it.

"Percy, it's not the end of the world," Fred managed to get out, when a long moment of silence had gone by.

"It's the end of my world! I can't walk Fred, I can't do anything! Why did you bother saving me then? You should have just let me died, I don't want to live this way!" He screamed out before he grabbed the pitcher of water on the dresser and threw it at the window.

Percy was in a rage, and he couldn't stop it. How did they think this would be okay? He wouldn't be able to do anything, why would they torture him and keep him alive. He just bet this was their ultimate prank, he never thought they could be so cruel to him.

Molly was distraught but more then grateful for Remus who was ringing for a nurse on the other side of the room. She could see that Percy's outburst had frightened the poor child on the other side of the room awake and was looking around fearfully and looked to be on the verge of a panic attack.

"Percy stop! It's not that bad, so you can't walk. Big effing deal! You're alive, we've lost friends whose parents I know would love for them to be here even at the expense of no legs. You bastard," Fred bit out angrily as he pulled away from his mother.

"Fredrick hush," Molly scolded him but her tone was sad and not all firm as it should have been.

"And even now, with no legs you're still mum's favorite," he whispered out brokenly, ignoring his mother.

"I have no favorites," she told them firmly, her voice hard as she looked between her sons.

"You do and we all know who it is," he said bitterly as his tears continued to fall. "I can't believe you'd be so selfish. You're our brother, we saved you because we loved you and we didn't want you to die. We saved you so mum wouldn't die of heart break. How dare you?" He hissed out before he shook his head in disbelief before he tore out of the room. God he hated him so much, how could he just think that being dead would be better? He could still hear his brother yelling but he didn't care anymore, he was just focusing on finding George before he broke apart.

~*~*~*~*Two Days later, Dumbledore Manor~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Harry was sitting on the couch in the old man's house, unsure of what he was supposed to be doing. He was dressed in a new suit that Sirius had picked for him when the man had taken him to Diagon Alley. He was waiting for the man in question to come downstairs as they had a funeral to go to. He had never been to one, and at 13 he didn't want to go to this one. To say goodbye to his dorm mate. He pinched himself on the arms, as the tears tried to appear, he didn't want to cry. He quickly stood up when he heard footsteps on the stairs grateful for the distraction.

"Where's the Headmaster?" Harry asked, as he looked at his godfather in his own dress clothes.

"Already there, are you ready?" Sirius asked him quietly as he took a sip of the polyjuice potion, he was going as Remus. He was after all still an escaped murderer', as they still hadn't gotten a chance to make him a legally free man. Hogwarts still took over everyone's thought at the Ministry, and given that it had only been a few weeks anyway.

"No, I don't want to go," he said as he walked over to the man.

"I know you don't and these things, never get any easier. But we have to kiddo," Sirius said sadly as he hugged the child tightly.

"Then we can just go then and get it out the way," Harry mumbled out in the man's torso.

"We're apparating," Sirius warned him as he led the boy outside.

"Why?" Harry wondered.

"Because the boy's father is a muggle, this funeral is going to be a muggle one with some magic I think. However it's also going to be in Ireland where he was born," he explained as he held tight to his godson.

"Am I supposed to bring anything?" Harry asked thickly as he hugged his godfather even tighter.

"No, I've got it taken care of," Sirius said before he made sure he had the child tight and disapperated.

They appeared in a small alleyway and Harry noted immediately that they weren't alone, but he's wasn't afraid as he saw the trademark Weasely hair.

"Ron!" He called out happily to his mate, forgetting for a moment that they were about to go to a funeral. He had been owling his friend these past weeks but he hadn't gotten a reply and he would have been offended but Sirius had reminded him that Percy was still in hospital so he knew the boy was probably to worried or something. Harry found himself frowning however when his best mate didn't even turn around to look at him. Didn't he hear him? "Ron!" He yelled out louder, attracting the attention of Mr. Weasely and the other older Weaselys boys. But why was Ron ignoring him? What had he done?

"Harry, don't do that. He's not ignoring, he's just...not there at the moment," Arthur said gently as he left his youngest son with his Bill and made his way to Harry. He could see the hurt on the child's face and he didn't want him to think that Ron had been deliberatly ignoring him when he hadn't.

"Then what....I don't understand. I see him, he's right there," Harry replied in confusion.

"Yes he's there, but mentally speaking he's locked somewhere in his mind. Everyone deals with trauma differently, Ron well, this is how he copes," Arthur murmured with a sigh.

"Oh, will he snap out of it?" Harry asked softly.

"I hope so, we've just started getting him to see a mind healer. Bill and Charlie are helping us there, otherwise they're would be no way for us to pay for it," he told him.

"Oh, I could...I could help too," he said timidly.

"That's alright Harry, but thank you for the offer," Arthur told him easily.

Harry nodded silently as he glanced back up at his friend. "Is Percy okay?"

"He's awake, but emotionally speaking I think he's lost the will to live. The doctors are trying to get the fight back in him, but he's all but giving up. That's why Molly isn't here, she doesn't feel right in leaving him," he explained.

"Oh," he mumbled out sadly. "I'm sorry,"

"No, it's alright Harry, he's alive. We just have to convince him that his life meant so much more then his loss of limbs," the man said before ruffling his hair. "Hey Remus, hows Theodore? We would have thought you wouldn't have left him alone?"

Harry's eyes were wide as he looked up at his godfather poly-juiced, wondering how they were going to do this. "Albus told me it was of utmost importance that I accompany Harry today," Sirius said smoothly.

"Yes that may be, but your godson is just as important," Arthur said frowning.

"Yes he is," Sirius said before clearing his throat. "We'd better head to the church,"

Harry blew out a breath when the man nodded and started to head back to his family. He held his godfather's hand tight as they followed after them. He felt no need for talking, it was a somber affair, and he wouldn't disrespect it. He forced himself to take a deep breath, and keep his eyes open when he saw the pall bearers bring in the child sized casket. He swallowed thickly as everyone marched inside the church silently, the doors closing inaudibly behind them.

*~*~*~*~*~*December*~*~*~*~*~*~

Harry looked up from his breakfast as the fireplace flared in the other room. He had been living in the Headmaster's house for a month a few weeks now and he was used to it now. Who would have thought? He didn't particularly care who it was, knowing it wouldn't be for him. He wasn't sure just what was going on with him, but he felt numb, and he wasn't sure why? He lost track of just how many funeral he had gone to in November. That would always be to him the 'month of funerals' no matter how old he got.

He couldn't believe it, Colin Creevey, the boy who loved to take pictures of him had died saving his little brother. Katie Bell, the girl on his Quidditch team had died too. And his year mate Justin and Ernie, and then he found out Crabbe and Goyle. And it was just too much for him to deal with. After Seamus's funeral he wanted to scream but he didn't because he knew normal people didn't do that. Well he wasn't normal, he hadn't even cried for them, what kind of person was he? Was he not sad that they died? Why couldn't he cry? He shook the thought away Neville's voice piercing his thoughts for a moment. Wait what?
"Harry get the floo, it's for you," Sirius told him as he grabbed the paper and made his way out the kitchen towards the stairs.

"Kay," he muttered as he got up and hurried towards the sitting room to find his friend's head in the green flames.

"Hi Neville," he said with a grin, that was more then fake but he wasn't about to go into that right now.

"Hi Harry, I hope you're well. I just wanted to invite you to my Christmas party this year," Neville said easily.

"Oh, um I'll have to ask but I'll get back to you yeah?" Harry told him.

"That's fine, if you can't make it well I understand too," Neville replied before he ended the floo call.

Harry was staring in the fireplace in amazement. Not at the floo call but at the confidence that he felt radiating from his usually shy friend. This was new, he remembered seeing him at the funerals, but he was too busy trying to look everywhere but at anyone to notice much. His friend had changed and clearly for the better, and he was happy for him. He sigh before making his way back to the kitchen to find his godfather drinking some coffee.

"What did the paper say?" Harry asked softly before the man could ask who it was.

"Mostly about the progress they're making on rebuilding Hogwarts. They started as soon as the lava had receded and it's going pretty well. Even the goblins have helped a bit, which means that the disaster hurt them as well," Sirius commented.

"How?" Harry asked in confusion.

"I'm not sure but that's the only reason why they would help us," Sirius said with a shake of his head.

"Oh," the small boy mumbled out before he sighed. "Does it say anything about you being free?"

"Not yet, It's still pretty hectic I bet, even though a month has passed. I'm here with you and while I would love to go out a bit more there's no rush, I've waited for this for 13 years. I have no wish to mess anything up by being impatient," he told him.

"Okay," Harry replied. "So when you are free then what happens? Do we stay here?"

"For a bit yes, but then I'll go out and look for homes, first check with Gringotts to see if the Black has Properties. And if not because I'll be your guardian I'll check the Potters as well. We will find some place to live," he promised.

Harry nodded, ignoring the small hurt that somehow appeared in his chest. This is what he wanted his godfather to take him in. That way even if the headmaster got annoyed with him, he could never send him back to the Durselys. He ignored the part of him that was still bitter over the fact that Snape didn't want him. Well you couldn't change how one felt, he knew that all to well. He ignored the feeling, trying not to dwell on it, he didn't deserve to have the man, Snape was much to good for him. And he knew the man right and didn't want to soil himself by associating with him. After all this time, his relatives had been right, he really was a freak. Before his thoughts could turn darker, he heard the floo ring again and he shook his head but welcomed the distraction.

"My, you're popular today," Sirius teased as he heard it ring.

"Sirius! Sirius! It's Mandy!" Was the voice that came through the flames.

"It's not for me," Harry said with a smirk of his own.

"So I see," Sirius said before he hurriedly made to answer it. "What is it Amanda? How's your feet?"

"Good, next week my healer says I might get to start walking on them again," the little girl squealed.

"That's good news honey," Sirius told her with a grin.

"Can I floo over Sirius?" Amanda asked cheerfully.

"You would have to ask your parents and you know my status in the world Mandy," he told her gently.

"I already did ask them, they're gonna come to. They wanna meet you," Amanda said before she giggled and gracefully flooed over with her mother before the man could say anything.

"Amanda," Sirius said before he straightened himself his pure-blood training from his youth making him act accordingly.

"Mrs. Flint, welcome to the Dumbledore house," Sirius said formally, watching in amusement as Amanda's mother was giving her daughter a look knowing it was her turn to reply in the same formal tone.

"I don't want to do that mommy, I wanna play with Harry," Amanda told her mother as her father flooed over as well.

"That's a great idea, Harry take Mandy and show her..your room," Sirius said just wanting his godson out of the room with the elder Brutus Flint. He was a known Death Eater, had even fought against him at one time or another, and he didn't want Harry or Amanda for that matter in the vicinity if curses started to fly.

"I agree that's a brilliant idea however, she's not allowed to walk just yet," Brutus said his eyes never leaving Sirius's.

"Piggy back her Harry, and don't come back in here until I call you," Sirius told him, his eyes boring holes into the man across from him.

You could feel the tension but no one said anything until the children were out the room and up the stairs. That was when Brutus pulled out his wand to set up a privacy ward so they wouldn't be overheard if the children did come back down and nearly was cursed for his trouble.

"Watch it Black," he hissed out, eyes blaring as he leveled his wand at the man.

"The same goes for you. What the fuck were doing? Always trying to get a cheap shot in, you Slimy Slytherins," Sirius growled out his own wand at the ready.

"Enough, I didn't come here for you both to have a pissing contest on whose the biggest. Frankly I don't care, because when it all comes down to it, the truth of the matter is neither. Mine is bigger then both of you, now Wands down!" Caroline Flint said eyes blazing, her own tone hard as she stared down both Sirius and her husband who she noted flinched at the look. Good she still had it.

Sirius winced and shuddered, Merlin did all pure-blooded mothers have the same look. He could swear for a minute he was staring at his mother at that horrifying gaze. He blinked before he sighed and shook his head allowing himself to stiffly sit in the chair behind him, his wand still clinched tightly in his hand.

"To what do I owe this pleasure?" He muttered out tiredly, this was too much work. As much as he loved Amanda, her parents made it seem not worth it.

"We need to discuss this life debt that we now owe you for saving our daughter's life. You cannot deny it, you and I both know it's there as we acknowledged it. Now we will do anything to grant it, with in reason. We see that Amanda adores you, however we draw the line at that. And know that we will fight you tooth and nail if you try to turn this into a marriage contract," she said tightly.

"The fuck?" Sirius breathed out as he looked from the woman to her husband. He knew from his demented family that some people did that, would go and marry children (perverted bastards) because of a life debt that the family owed them. He didn't believe in that shit and he wouldn't do this, hell no.

"I take it you have no problem with that then?" Brutus asked quietly.

"She's a child, 2 years younger then my godson. Pure-bloods are still fucked up I see," Sirius grumbled out, with a shake of his head.

"Yes they are, I knew you wouldn't but I needed that on the table," Caroline replied with a grim smile.

"It's understood. I don't know what I want at the moment," Sirius replied with a shrug.

"What about your freedom so you can raise your godson?" Brutus pointed out.

"Working on that, the ministry its just been so busy with Hogwarts. I haven't the time,"Sirius replied.

"Do you have proof?" Caroline wondered.

"I do, I have Peter Pettigrew himself," Sirius said grimly, as he carefully judged their reactions.

"We can help with that if you'd like," Brutus said with a sigh.

"It doesn't null the life debt of course, but every little bit helps," Caroline added.

"Alright, if you can get me a trial set up, that would be great," Sirius finally relented.

"Expect an owl tomorrow morning about the date of the trial, and we'll pick up Amanda in a couple hours when we return from the Ministry," Brutus said stiffly as he stood up.

He couldn't believe what he was about to do, but the man had save his daughter he couldn't just ignore that. Besides having the Black heir behind him, would come in handy down the line he was sure of it. He had no wish for his daughter or his wife to be pulled into Voldemort sadistic ranks. He nodded curtly to the man and flooed home.

"Thank you so much," she said canceling the charm.

"No worries," Sirius said with a smile. "Harry and Manda get down here!" He called out.

They didn't have to wait long when they heard a set of footsteps alone with a small voice urging him to be careful. It was very amusing but they said nothing until the children repeared.

"Where'd daddy go?" Amanda asked clearly.

"He had to do something at the Ministry," Caroline told her.

"He's gonna get Sirius free, I bet!" She said with a bright grin.

"Hopefully," Sirius said with a smile.

"I'm going to the Ministry with your father and I'll be back to pick you up in a couple of hours. If you wish to go home before then floo the house first to make sure Marcus is home. I don't want you there alone," Caroline told her seriously.

"Okay, but I'll be here still," she promised.

"Alright, I'll see you later sweetie," she said before she disappeared into the fireplace.

Sirius turned to the children and grinned. "Who wants to play tag?"

"I do!" Harry said excitedly.

"I don't, I can't run. I can't even walk," Amanda told them with a pout.

"I know but we'll take turns. Harry is it first he has to get you or me, if he gets one of us, we are it," Sirius said before he grinned again. "Now hop on my back," he said before he transformed into Padfoot.

"Cool!" Amanda said reaching for him as Harry moved her to his back. "Wow, this is so cool Sirius!" She said squealing happily as he shot off leaving Harry in the sitting room.

Harry was frowning when took off a familiar feeling rising up in his chest. Sirius had never offered to give him a ride when he was Padfoot so why did he do it to Amanda? Surely he could have levitated her right? He frowned, as the jealously weighed heavily in his chest, he didn't even want to play stupid tag anymore, but he sighed loudly and walked after them.

~*~*~*~*~Two weeks Later, St. Mungoes*~*~*~*~*~*~*

The next day found Remus getting Theodore ready to go home. He still wasn't sure where they were living but Charles had been thorough and he now had a new place to live with the boy. Since the child was now getting released from the hospital after 1 month and a half of treatment apparently there was no better time then now for them to get even more acquainted. He glanced over at the Weasely side of the room and glanced at them with a bemused expression. Apparently Albus had someone impersonating him when Harry went to Seamus's funeral. He didn't question the man's judgment of course but he just didn't like being out of the loop he supposed.

As it was, he was hoping that Percy pulled out of this funk. The boy wallowed all day in pity about having no legs, Remus could safely say he would give up his two legs if it meant his affliction with lycanthropy was forever gone. It really wasn't the end of the world, especially as muggles seemed to be ahead of the wizarding times and a muggleborn healer had brought a book that showed what he called prosthetic limbs, that allowed the person using it to regain the loss of their limbs slightly so to speak. It was amazing the things muggles could do without magic, and if Percy would get his head so far up his own butt to see he could see that those around him were worse off.

Theodore hand and arm was still bandaged up and would stay that way until the Healers said so. Now they would take the test every 3 days at their house, where it was. He put the child's cloak on and grinned at him tiredly. This past month and a half had been rough for the both of them. He kept his word and had gone to the funerals with the child and he could honestly say which each funeral they went too, it just got harder and harder. He only hoped Severus and Albus was able to help Harry with his grief. As he slipped the boy's shoes on he froze as he heard the static coming in from the Wizarding Wireless. They had heard more from this in the past few months then in the last 10 years he was sure of it. Nonetheless he heard Molly hushing her brood as they all quieted to hear the announcement.

~Attention Ladies and Gentleman of the magical community of Britain. My name is Amelia Bones, currently filling in for our Minister Cornelius Fudge. I come to you on the wireless with some breaking news. It has been brought to our attention that 13 years one Sirius Black who was convicted of killing 13 muggles and a wizard is indeed innocent. He was not given a trial, so therefore no truth serum was ever given, and due to new evidence the ministry has realized we have made a grave error. As you all know Sirius Black escaped from Azkaban prison, in the early days of October and we had thought he was heading to Hogwarts. Speaking of which, the school is rebuilding quite nicely and we have added in wards to alert us of natural disasters in the future. For more information on the school, check your daily Prophet for updates.

Now back to what I saying, Sirius Black if you are out there, and you heard this message. Come to Ministry so you can have your trial. We are so sorry for this error, and once you are cleared we will be reviewing just how this slipped through our fingers. Thank you all for your time~

Remus gasped loudly, his hand going to clutch his heart as he feared it was just going to beat completely out of his chest. He couldn't believe it, Sirius was innocent? He had turned his back on his friend all this years? What had truly happened that night? He felt himself choking slightly on his air, his vision starting to darken in the corners of his eyes when he heard Theodore's frantic voice.

"Professor? Professor! Uncle Remus!" The boy screamed out falling back on the bed, as his knees came up to his chest in a self comfort method. He stared in horror as his guardian's legs buckled and he started to fall to the floor.

"Bill catch him!" Arthur yelled out to his oldest who had just walked into the room and was closest to that side.

That was the last thing Remus was aware of before he let the darkness take him. He wasn't aware that the eldest child of Arthur had succeeded in catching him before he hit the ground, nor the fact that his godson suffered a severe panic attack, thinking that his new godfather was dying. He wasn't aware of anything just the blissful floating sensation as his mind tried to come to grips about his betrayal to one of his best friends.

The End.
End Notes:
What did you think? The angst is gone for now...but it will be back..and I'm sorry in advance..lol Hope you liked it. And of course Sirius is forgive Remus and vice versa...duh!!! lol
Chapter 15: Gaining in the Midst of Tragedy by Severus Draconis Potter
Author's Notes:
This is by far the longest chapter at 21 pages long. Wow right? Anyway, I hope you enjoy it, I do have an outline for this baby. Oh yeah, it was pointed out that my timeline was slightly off..so I went back and edited chapter 1...lol Hope you enjoy the chapter..it's filled with stuff lol
Chapter 15: Gaining in the midst of Tragedy

 

Remus blinked owlishly as he slowly opened his eyes, wondering just when he had fallen asleep. He knew he was still in the hospital due to the white walls, but what the heck was he doing on the bed? He glanced over when he heard a sniffling noise and turned to find Theodore clutching Bill Weasely. When had he gotten here? What was going on?

"Remus, you gave Theodore quite a scare," Arthur said from somewhere to the right of him.

"I did?" He asked in confusion before reaching out for the child to come to him.

"I'm fine Theo really. I'm not sure what happened," he admitted slowly.

"You fell backwards, I thought you were dying or something," the third year explained quietly.

"You just passed out, he's fine Theo," Arthur told him gently.

Remus shook his head in disbelief, knowing immediately just why he fainted. He had heard the news that Sirius might just be innocent, no that Sirius was innocent. And all this time he had betrayed his friend by not believing him. How could he do that? Would the man ever forgive him? Did he deserve to be forgiven?

"But why did you pass out? What happened?" Theo asked in confusion.

"You heard the wireless yeah? I just found out that one of my best friends is probably innocent and I betrayed him by thinking he was guilty. I don't know where he is, or where to look. And I will never forgive myself if he turns out to not be okay. Azkaban isn't a place you want to visit, let alone stay there for 12 years like he did," Remus said sadly.

"It will be okay Remus," Arthur told the man softly.

"How can you know that?" He asked quietly before shaking his head with a sigh.

"Because I have to believe that it will be okay. Given what's happened, I need to believe that the world is still a good place," he told him softly.

Remus sighed as he sat up briefly, closing his eyes with a sigh. "I know, and I meant to let you know I was sorry. This thing with Percy, he will fight it, but until he's strong enough you have to fight it for him," he told the man seriously.

"It's hard, it's not just Percy. Ron isn't doing so well either," Arthur said frowning.


"Well like you said, we have to believe that it will be okay in the end," Remus reminded him gently.

Remus gave the man a sad smile as he grabbed the rest of Theodore's things. They were leaving, the sooner they were out of the hospital the better.

"If you guys need anything just floo us," Arthur told him as he gave him a side hug.

"The same to you," Remus replied before he and Theo left the room, and headed to the public floo in the hospital.

~*~*~*~*~*~December*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

It had been 1 month and a half and counting since the disaster at Hogwarts and the castle was still closed down. It had wizards and witches alike, casting spells to it, and helping it rebuild itself. It was coming along nicely but nowhere near being functional as a school as it once was. At the Dumbledore Manor, things were starting to come to pass, or at least on the road there.

Sirius grinned at the mirror, his appearance doing wonders for how he was feeling. He had flooed Amelia Bones earlier that day, finally getting in contact with her. Albus had made sure that there would be no surprises and Peter was stunned in his human form with magical handcuffs that left him unable to transform. The man was currently in a holding cell with Moody as his guard so Sirius felt confident that the slippery rat wouldn't get away.

The Flints had come through and he had a trial set for next week, and he was ready for it. He had a few demands and he knew they would go for it, as they had wronged the Head of the Noble and Ancient house of Black. He smirked to himself before stepping back from the mirror as the floo went off. He wasn't sure who it was, Albus hadn't said expect anyone, though if he was being honest he hadn't seen the old man in a few days. Sirius opened his mouth to greet the newcomer before he grimaced as he realized just who it was.

"Snivellus," he muttered out.

"Black, is Albus here?" Severus asked as he looked around the manor.

"I don't know, I hadn't seen him. Owl him in the future, and save us both the trouble of coming here," Sirius said with a shake of his head.

"Don't start something you can't finish," Severus said lightly, not in the mood for this game.

"You threatening me?" Sirius said his eyes narrowing at the man.

Severus shook his head in disbelief before he made his ay out the sitting room. He didn't have time for idiots. "Albus!" He called out, hoping the old man would hear him if he was there. He turned towards the stairs, as he heard feet expecting the old man, but his usually inexpressive face lit up as he saw who it was.

"Professor!" Harry called out excitedly as he ran down the steps and all but threw himself at the man.

"How are you?" Severus asked as he looked over the small boy as he held him in his arms.

"I'm good, how come I haven't seen you around here?" Harry asked with a frown.

"I've been busy, with Hogwarts and the funerals," Severus told him honestly.

"To busy to come see me?" Harry asked sadly, his expression dropping.

"No, I didn't know you wanted to see me, but I'll keep that in mind in the future," Severus told him quickly as he caught the look on the child's face.

"Okay," Harry said slowly, willing to forgive the man for that since he hadn't known. "Just don't forget,"

"I won't," he promised as he glanced at the clock, wondering where Albus was.

"Professor, I think that there is something wrong with me," Harry confided to him quietly.

Severus was instantly on alert at that, Albus could wait. He needed to hear what Harry had to say. "What makes you say that?" He murmured gently.

Harry chewed his bottom lip thoughtfully for a moment. "Cause, whenever I go to the funerals, I don't...," he stopped when he realized that Sirius had appeared in the room. H didn't want his godfather to know this. What if the man made fun of him or something?

"You don't want Harry?" Severus prodded gently.

Harry shrugged, feeling embarrassed now. "Never mind it's not important," he mumbled out.

"I beg to differ," Severus said seriously. "Spill,"

Sirius was frowning as he looked from Harry to Snape. "What are you guys talking about?"

"Nothing," Harry said quickly.

"You sure about that? It doesn't look like nothing. Did Snape do something to you? Did he say something Harry?" Sirius asked, getting defensive on his godson's behalf.

"No he didn't Sirius," Harry said with a loud sigh.

"Then what is it?" Sirius pressed.

Severus gave the man a dirty look. "He obviously doesn't want to discuss it with you here, so leave Black," he told the man with a glare.

Sirius turned to look at his godson with an incredible look. "Is this true Harry?" He asked skeptically.

Harry turned and buried his head in his Professor's shoulder. He didn't want the spotlight on him. Why couldn't Sirius just take a hint, he loved his godfather but the man was so dense at times.

"Can't you see now? Give us a few moments," Severus told him with a hard look. Merlin he had forgotten how stubborn Black really was.

Sirius bristled at that, he didn't like the fact that his godson was now clinging to the dour man. That should be him, why was Harry doing this? He had a bad feeling and he didn't like it. He breathed heavily, as jealously started to rear it's ugly head.

"I don't think so," he said tightly. "Harry get over here,"

"No, I hafta talk to him," Harry protested.

"No you don't, you can talk to me, whatever it is kiddo," Sirius said firmly.

"I don't want to Sirius, I have to talk to the Professor," he pleaded out.

"Black, can't you see your upsetting him?" Severus said dryly. "We'll be in the kitchen, obviously Harry has something to discuss with me," he told him as he made to go around the man.

"Like hell Snape, you have no claim over him. You're just his Professor, and not even that if I don't allow him to go back to Hogwarts this year," Sirius said vindictively enjoying the way the man's face paled even more at that. Something in him snapped at that very moment, and he couldn't find it in him to care. The victory however was short lived when he saw Harry's face.

"You can't do that! All my friends are there," Harry said terrified as he stared at his godfather in horror.

"I can do that, once I become your guardian you're my responsibility," Sirius told him.

"I don't want you as my guardian then!" Harry yelled out.

"Don't raise your voice at me kiddo," Sirius said warningly as he stared in his godson in disbelief.

"I can do whatever I want, you're not the boss of me!" Harry yelled out defiantly before he turned and pressed his face back into his Professor's shoulder.

"Oh yes I am, now go to your room!" Sirius said angrily.

"No! I don't have to listen to you!" Harry screamed out, as he held tight to his Professor. The only way he as getting off of the man was if Sirius came and literally pulled him off. He was stubborn to the core and he was not moving.

"I'm your godfather, and you will do what I say," he said hotly.

Severus was caught in the middle, technically this wasn't any of his business but he was here, however he wasn't sure just what to say at the moment, so he stayed quiet for the time being.

"You don't have custody of me," Harry replied in the same tone, his eyes narrowing dangerously as well. He was 13, and the boy-who-lived, if he so chose too, he didn't have to go with his godfather.

Sirius gave the boy a dirty look before his gaze swept over the other man as if just remembering he was still here. "Albus clearly isn't here, so just leave Snape," he bit out.

"Not right now, we'll be upstairs," he told him calmly before carrying the child upstairs. Even if Black would never hurt Harry intentionally, the man had raised his voice to the child in anger and he didn't feel good leaving him at the moment.

Sirius couldn't really say anything at that, grumbling under his breath as they left. "Greasy bastard,"

~*~*~*~*~2 weeks later*~*~*~*~*~


The next couple of weeks passed by slowly for Harry, Ron still wasn't answering his replies and he wasn't sure where Hermione was as she hadn't even received his letter. The bright side in December seemed to be Sirius's trial. He went along with the Headmaster and was very happy when Sirius was proven innocent. However he as still slightly at odds with his godfather. The man didn't understand why he liked his Potion's Professor. How could he explain it? Snape saved him on numerous occasion and he wasn't evil. He wasn't that naïve or stupid, he knew both Snape and Sirius hated one another mutually but he was hoping for his sake that they would tolerate the other.

Harry couldn't understand that, he thought he had hated Malfoy, but he saw the blonde boy at Seamus's funeral and he couldn't hate him. He looked like he was barely hanging on as it was, besides what did the school houses have to do with real life, or anything really? After this disaster, things were put in perspective. Fighting was stupid, it led to things, or more importantly death. And he had seen enough death in his short life. He wouldn't fight Draco, and he didn't think that the blonde boy would fight him in return. He knew Ron wouldn't, as Ron wasn't even there anymore. He missed his best friend, but before the morose thoughts could fully take him he glanced up as he heard the floo.

"Hey kiddo, I got my freedom in writing, among a few things. If everything goes the way it should, we'll be in our own house in a few days," Sirius told him cheerfully.

Harry's jaw dropped in disbelief, and surprise. "You have guardianship of me?" He asked out.

"Well not yet, as the Goblins are looking for the bank copy of your parent's will," Sirius admitted.

"Oh," he said unable to help as he breathed out a breath of relief. He loved his godfather, but he had lived with him for almost two months, and while the man as fun, he wasn't exactly parent material.

Sirius frowned, catching the sigh as he looked at his godson. "Do you not want to live with me?" He asked bluntly, unsure what to think at this point.

Harry bit his lip apprehensively as he looked at his godfather. "Well, I kinda...just wanted like, I don't know a dad. And..I don't know okay," Harry rushed out embarrassed and a bit frustrated as well.

"And you don't think I can be that father figure for you?" Sirius asked, trying hard to keep the hurt he felt inside at the thought that Harry was standing here rejecting his offer, and himself in general. He didn't know what else to feel but hurt? How was one supposed to take this anyway?

"Well you're fun, but you're not really serious," Harry told him quietly.

"I am Sirius kiddo," Sirius said with a grin at his small joke.

"That's what I mean," Harry aid before sighing. HE was grateful that the man would take him away from the Durselys but he didn't want him as his guardian. He wanted someone else, but he didn't think he would get that, so Sirius was second best. It was better then before right?

"I was joking Harry, people do that. Fine,, who do you want as your guardian?" Sirius told him with a firm look. "Since you would rather have them then me?" He said a bit of bitterness seeping through.

Harry frowned at the tone, before he shrugged. He wanted his Potion's Professor, but Sirius would never go for that. Not to mention, he wasn't one of the man's Slytherins either. So he had no such claim that way either, man he wished the sorting had could have had its way. He couldn't have Snape ad now his godfather was hurt, he could hear it. He should be grateful that someone was taking him away from the horrible Durselys. Who was he to act like a spoiled brat, like Dudley, just cause he didn't get what he wanted. This was his life, he never got what he wanted. At least Sirius would never hit him. The thought of living with his godfather didn't excitement though, knowing that his heart wasn't in it.

"No one, just you Sirius," Harry said quietly before he turned and quickly headed up to his room before the man could question him further.

Sirius wasn't sure about it, but he knew that Harry didn't want him. The problem was, he had a hunch just who Harry wanted, and he hated it. What did the boy see in him anyway? He sighed loudly before he made his way to his own room.

A few days went by with the tension in the household feeling strained between the two occupants. Sirius was just glad that Albus was still at the Ministry, he had no plans to discuss this with the old man, who was a firm believer in giving chances. He wouldn't give Snape the chance to steal his godson away from him. He glanced at the paper in his hand, a small smile gracing his face a it declared his innocence.

He was ecstatic but he would be even more happy if Remus would return his owl. He hoped his hadn't lost his last friend. He nodded to himself, what if the man hadn't received it? Thing were still hectic and Remus was technically still a Professor so he as probably taking care of thing with Albus. Whatever the reason, he wished the man would pen a reply, anything would be better then this waiting.

Sirius took a seat at the table, eyebrows furrowing together as he looked at the empty seat across from him. It was time for lunch, but Harry wasn't down here. He knew the child had to be hungry as he didn't see him for breakfast and the one thing he found out about his godson was the boy didn't like skipping meals. He glanced at the lunch spread on the table enviously as he made himself stand up.

This was the being a parent part, he couldn't just eat he had to go see what was wrong. What was keeping the child from lunch? He jogged up the steps, figuring the boy had probably got caught up in either his playing or something. But as he got to the top of the steps, he heard something crash and he froze out of reflex. He listened hard for something, but it seemed like a silencing spell was placed. It was just way to quiet up here. What was going on?

"Harry? What was that?" He called out curiously.

He was expecting an answer but he didn't get it. He frowned as he hurried to the child's room, to find the door locked, and allowed for a few second's his panic to take over as he couldn't open the door. He pulled out his wand and easily unlocked it and froze once more, this time in the doorway as sound exploded from the room. He quickly deduced that the boy's accidental magic was in play here, especially the room looked like a tornado went through it and he hadn't heard anything on the outside of the door, but now it was intense. He slowly walked in, and looked for his wayward godson, where the child? He frowned as he saw him on the floor, and hurried over to him.

"Harry? You okay kiddo? What happened?" Sirius asked out worriedly as he gently touched his shoulder.

Harry squeezed his eyes shut when he heard his godfather's voice, wanting him here but at the same time he didn't. He took a breath to explain and choked on a sob, he couldn't talk, it was too much. The grief, and pain he had been feeling the past month and a half was breaking their way out of him. He could barely breathe it felt like, as it clawed it's way out of him. "I hurt," he managed to gasp out.

"What hurts?" Sirius asked immediately as he looked at the boy in concern.

"Everything in me, hurts so bad," he whispered out tearfully.

Sirius was at a slight loss of what to do. He truly felt Albus's absence today, the old man would definitely know how to fix this. "Hurt how kiddo? Can you tell me?"

"Like pain on the inside, everywhere. It hurts Sirius! It hurts!" Harry screamed out.

The usually carefree man was rubbing the boy's back worriedly, as he tried to figure out what to do. How was he to fix this? He only knew that pain was hurting? Something in him, knew it was emotionally speaking and nothing like a curse. But knowing didn't make it any easier, as he still didn't know what to say to him.

"It'll be okay Harry," Sirius promised him tightly, feeling inadequate.

Harry jerked away from the man at that, turning around to look at him with angry eye. "No it won't! They're all dead! It'll never be okay!" He screamed out.

"Oh," Sirius breathed out, as he finally got a clue to just what was going on. Harry was finally grieving at last. He reached out to grab the boy who he could see was fighting the grief and he shook his head, that was going to make it worst. "Trust me kiddo, you need to let it out," he told him gently.

Harry shook his head frantically as he bit into his arm to stop the pain on the inside of him. "No!" He screamed out in return.

"Don't you dare hurt yourself, that is not the way! You need to grieve!" Sirius said firmly, his heart pounding in his chest. He clearly needed help but he couldn't just leave Harry could he?
Harry tried to pull away from the man, as he found himself with his back flattened against his godfathers torso. He was stuck, and the only thing he could do was scream and he did. He let out an ear piercing shriek that was filled with hi accidental magic that had the windows in his bedroom blowing out, glass everywhere.

"Holy shit!" Sirius yelled out, as he made sure his godson was covered as glass cut into his own back and any uncovered skin. He covered the child's head and closed his eyes as the wind around them got louder as it picked up. "Harry stop! Calm down, please!" He pleaded, knowing it was the child. His godson really was a powerful little wizard.

"No! Snape, get me Snape! Want Snape!" Harry babbled out frantically as the grief finally released itself, and his magic had its way as it destroyed everything in his room.

"Merlin, you're gonna kill us," Sirius said out fearfully, he could barely hear the child, as the wind was the only sound in his ears at the moment. He was at a loss this moment, he needed help.

"Snape, get Snape! I want Snape!" Harry started to chant, before he screamed again as a wave of grief came over him, and tried to overtake him again. Why did he always continue living when everyone else around him died? Was this fate's way of a sick joke? Why did he always have to survive? Living wasn't always better, not when one suffered like this. Would it ever get better, it didn't feel like it.

Sirius understood that word as he realized just who Harry was yelling for. As much as he didn't want to do it, he couldn't control the boy. He needed help, and Snivellus would know what to do. He hugged the boy tight to his chest, his mind made up to get the man but what was he going to do about Harry? Obviously he couldn't leave him alone. "Merlin help me," he breathed out.

He got his answer about a minute later, when Harry just went slack in his arms. He panicked for a moment, before he realized that the child was breaking down. He could hear the small gasps of his sobs, before he started calling brokenly for Snape. He wasn't going to deny him this, no matter how much hatred he had for the other man. He forced himself to swallow the pride, and the hurt that was seeping through as he pulled out his wand.

He didn't want to move anywhere, just in case Harry decided to explode again. Why tempt fate? He took a breath before he cast his grim Patronus, giving a quick message for Snape to come and that it was an emergency involving Harry. He breathed out softly when it ran away, feeling more alone in this situation then ever. He hugged the boy tight as he cried in his chest.

"Snape?" Harry asked out hoarsely.

"He's coming," Sirius promised, hoping the man did for once in his life.

"Okay," Harry whispered out softly as he squeezed his godfather's arms tight in his hands.

Sirius only hoped the man didn't think it was joke, although he would never joke about an emergency that had to do with his godson that was off limits. It felt like they had been standing in the room for so long, as he currently had no sense of time at the moment. But in actuality it had been only 5 minutes at the most. Sirius turned his head to the door of the bedroom as he heard the fireplace downstairs.

"Up here!" He yelled out, trying not to startle Harry anymore then necessary. Not that it mattered as the child whimpered anyway, which only made Sirius hug him tighter. Yeah, he could be bigger man and ask Snape for help, for Harry. He would do anything, even at the expense of himself.

Severus ran briskly up the stairs when he heard Black's voice. He had been visiting Lupin, who now had his Slytherin in his care. He was still trying to wrap his head around that one, but he knew that the elder Nott clearly had a plan up his sleeve. As it was, he and Lupin had been alarmed when they saw the dog Patronus, both knowing who it came from. He was horrified however, when he heard the panic in the man's voice about something that had to do with Harry and he hurried towards Dumbledore Manor. He headed towards the child's room, almost afraid of what he would find. As he stepped in, he saw everything was broken, torn, and in a state of disaray.

"What the hell happened in here?" He asked out in shock as he turned to look at the man.

"Harry happened. His grief, exploded out of him," Sirius said as he kissed the top of the boy's unruly mop hair.

"Snape?" Harry asked out softly, as he heard a familiar voice.

"Yeah, he's here," Sirius said quietly, as he started to let go of the child. He didn't want Harry to rip away from him, he was already hurt as it was.

Harry held tighter to his godfather for a moment more before he let go. He made his way to his teacher, turning back once to find the usually fun man looking hurt and downtrodden. He knew this was his fault, but it couldn't really be helped right now, could it?

"I love you too ya know? He's just head of Slytherin, he knows how to help me," Harry told him softly, hoping the man would understand.

Sirius shrugged like he didn't care, as Harry basically chose Snape over him, in front of the man. He shook his head head slightly. "Yeah, I'll leave you guys too it," he said before he quickly left the room before his emotions could take over.

Harry watched him leave with a worried expression before he turned his red eyes to his Professor. "You said you would visit more, and you didn't. And I needed you," he said in an accusing tone.
Severus gave him an apologetic look. "I know, it's just I've been helping with the overseeing Hogwarts being rebuilt and checking up on my students, and delivering bad news. I just got caught up in everything," he told him seriously.

Harry's eyes refilled with tears as he shook his head sadly. "I know, I'm not one of your Slytherins, so I'm not that important. I get it," he sniffled out, as he turned his gaze away from the man. He shouldn't have asked for him. He should have just allowed Sirius to comfort him. At least he knew how how his godfather was feeling. He had rejected the man and put him second best, and Snape had done the same to him. It hurt really bad.

Severus looked at the boy sharply who he noticed was ignoring his attempt at eye contact. The child was radiating hurt, he could literally see it. "Harry?" He said quietly.

"It's cool, I'm sorry I got Sirius to disturb you. It won't happen again," he somehow managed to say before he made to go around the man as his tears started to fall. How stupid could he be? Stupid Gryffindor.

"You are just as important," Severus told him firmly as he grabbed his shoulder to stop him from leaving.

Harry made a small noise but didn't verbally reply. He needed out of here, before he started crying again.

"You are whether you believe it or not. I have a lot of Slytherins I care for, but I only have a few Gryffindors I hold close to my heart. You're even more special as you're Lily's son. You are perhaps my most important student," Severus said solemnly.

Not knowing how to reply to that, Harry threw himself at the man, pressing his face against the man's torso as he hugged him tightly. He finally allowed himself to relax against the man as the feelings he had felt over the past month and a half came pouring out. How could he ever be normal again? How did one go on? Especially after something like this, what was normal?

Severus held him tightly, quietly offering him reassurances but mostly, he was just there. He was aware that his presence alone was soothing the child, and grateful that Harry felt safe in his arms.

Meanwhile downstairs Sirius was sitting in an easy chair with a cup of tea in his hand, staring morosely at the fire. He felt tossed aside, and rejection was not a good feeling. He ran a hand agitatedly through his hair, sitting up slightly when he saw the floo flare. Knowing only certain people were keyed into the wards he didn't worry. He did however startle when he saw the person coming out the fireplace.

"Sirius!" Remus said in surprise, gently rubbing the child's shoulder who had hidden half behind him.
Sirius was giving the man he had considered his best friend a wary look. He had written the man numerous times but he hadn't yet gotten a response. What was he playing at?

"I'm sorry I haven't replied to your letter things have just been hectic," Remus said as he recognized the expression on his friend's face.

"If you're here for Albus, he isn't here," Sirius said quietly.

"I'm not here for him, I was with Severus when he got his Patronus and I was worried about Harry. I didn't know you'd be here, but its a great turn of events," he said with a smile.

"I'm sure, killed two birds with one stone," Sirius said solemnly.

Theo frowned as he looked up at his godfather. "Is he serious? Did he really kill two birds with a stone?"

Sirius chuckled before Remus could answer. "Why yes I am, I'm Sirius," he said in amusement.

Remus's smile brightened as he looked at his friend. "You haven't changed a bit," he said as he made his way over to hug the other man.

"You have, you got old Moony!" Sirius teased, as he glanced once more at the shy boy behind Remus. "Whose he?"

"That's my godson, Theodore Nott," Remus said giving Sirius a look that said they would talk later.

"Nice to meet you kiddo," Sirius said pleasantly. He knew better having spent so much time with Amanda that last names didn't mean anything. She was a Flint for Merlin's sake but she was still just a child.

"You too," Theo replied shyly as he looked around.

The moment was interrupted when Sirius heard Severus coming downstairs with a clean and happy faced Harry. He wasn't sure what all happened, but clearly the man knew how to help children. Still he didn't have to like it.

"Hi Harry, nice to see you're doing okay," Remus told him carefully.

Harry smiled shyly and nodded as he looked at the man. "Hi Theo," he said politely.

"Potter," Theo said quietly.

Harry frowned as he looked at his Professor. "My name is Harry," he mumbled out.
Sirius turned to look at the Slytherin boy. "No last names in here, that's Harry and you're Theo. Remus is my best friend and your godfather. Harry is my godson, you guys are going to be seeing a lot of each other," he said quietly.

Remus shared a look with Severus for a moment before turning back to his friend. "Yeah you changed. What happened to you?" He joked.

"I grew up, Azkaban will do that to a person," Sirius said softly.

Harry hugged his Professor before he wiggled to be set down and made his way to his godfather. He felt horrible about how he had just treated the man. "I'm sorry Sirius," he murmured out.

"It's not your fault kiddo," Sirius replied easily.

"As touching as this reunion is, I still have work to do. Black, thank you for calling me, clearly you have brains, I just wish you would use them more often then you do," Severus said as he made his way to the floo.

Harry frowned, and though he knew both men hated each other, he didn't have to like it. Why couldn't they all just be friends?

"Are you gonna come back soon?" Harry asked the man timidly.

"I am, I promise," he told the child firmly.

Sirius looked like he wanted to protest that, but a jab from Remus, and the happy expression on his godson's face had him staying silent. He shook his head ruefully, hoping the man didn't keep his promise.

Severus saw the other man's face and smugly gave the man a smirk as he bent down to give the child a hug. "Harry, if you need me at any time, you can just floo me. I don't care about the time," he told him.

"Okay," Harry said happily as he hugged the man tightly in response. He waved happily as the man got into the fireplace and flooed away. He turned his attention to the other boy, trying to get his attention.

Theo glanced in the direction of Potter. Truthfully he didn't mind not calling the boy by his last name. Technically that was started by Draco and it seemed so insignificant compared to everything else that had happened. "What?" He asked, when he caught the other boy's eye.

"Do you wanna see my room? Maybe go flying?" Harry asked hopefully. He had been without kids his own age for almost two months. Funerals didn't count, and neither did his godfather who was a big kid at heart.
"That's a good idea Harry, Theo go play. I'm staying right here with Sirius. We need to talk," Remus was quick to assure him.

Theo nodded slowly as he gave the man a long look. "Don't leave," he aid softly.

"I won't buddy," he promised firmly.

Sirius watched as both boys ran up the steps to Harry's room, hoping Snape had fixed it at least or the other kid would be in for a shock. "He's clingy," he murmured.

"Yeah he is. He's very attached at the moment, I saved him, that could be why. I don't truly know if I'm being honest. The doctor said it was because I'm consistent which is why he is really leaning on me," Remus said fondly.

"That makes sense, you were always anal about routine," Sirius said smiling in amusement.

"Oh hush you," Remus said grinning in return, as that had been the truth.

Sirius breathed a collective breath of relief a he realized nothing had changed between them. He smiled to himself as he lost himself in the conversation.

~*~*~*~*A Few days Later~~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

After his talk with Remus a few days ago, Sirius realized that he needed to put Harry's needs first. I mean if they were to live by themselves together, then he needed to not be so selfish. He had been there, witnessing how Harry reacted to Snape's presence and he hated it. He was very much aware in that moment that Snape wa probably going to be apart of Harry's life, and not just as his Professor. It was jealously and hatred fir the man but he didn't ant to share his godson.

This was his last link to James and he wasn't giving that up without a fight. Besides, he loved that boy as if he was his own son. He was sitting there in his chair brooding, Harry wasn't here at the moment. He was at Remus's house with Theo, after they had spoke with the boys they really seemed to click. Which was good, he only wished that Harry's best friend Ron would get better as well. That was taking a toll on the always trying to be strong child. He shook the thought away, feeling sorry for himself that he might have to share Harry. He frowned when the floo flared, he hadn't been expecting anyone but then again, this wasn't his house. He sighed loudly when he saw who it was.

"Albus isn't here, so leave," Sirius said snarkily.

Severus grimaced at the other man and shook his head. "I didn't come here for Albus, I came to see Harry," he told him.

"He's not here either," Sirius said with a smug expression. He would rather Harry be with Remus then Snape. "So leave,"

"In case you forgot this is Albus's house, and I am welcomed here anytime I want. And I have no such time limit. Who is Harry with?" Severus asked quietly.

"With someone I trust, that;s all you need to know. You're not his guardian. You have no such claim over him," he said, unable to help the smug tone that came out.

"Whatever Black, just tell Harry I came by," Severus told the man not wanting to go there today. He would have to come back to make sure Harry didn't think he wasn't keeping his promise.

"Right," Sirius said dryly but he had no intention of even doing that.

"I mean it, you care anything about your godson you will tell him that I was here," Severus hissed out.

"Don't tell me what to do, or if I care or not about Harry. I'm not a bloody child," Sirius said as his eyes narrowed dangerously.

"Then stop acting like one. You're acting like a jealous imbecile whose lost his favorite toy. Get over yourself, Harry is a child and clearly needs help that you aren't providing," Severus said darkly. "Useless idiot,"

"Oi! Who you calling an idiot, you greasy bat!" Sirius shouted out as his wand snapped into his hand.

"Oh yes please do, I've been waiting to do this for years," Severus said vindictively as his own wand slipped into his wand hand.

Sirius said nothing as he slashed his wand in the air, a non verbal cutting curse heading towards the man, watching in dismay as he lazily blocked it.

"Really Black, is that all you've got?" Severus said mockingly as he got into his stance as the fighting started, the duel was on.

~*~*~*~*Theo and Remus's house~*~*~*~*~

Harry was having a blast with Theo and Remus, and for a moment hen he played he forgot about everything else. His professor had promised that he would come by the house twice a week to to just talk with him, or just hang out and he was looking forward to it. Actually the man was supposed to visit today, and he was starting to get anxious, because even though he was having fun he didn't want to miss the man's visit. He didn't want to be a horrible guest so when Theo made another excuse to go back and see Remus(Sirius had explained why, and it didn't bother him) as he knew some people needed more comfort then others. Anyway he followed the boy back in return, finding the man in the kitchen, fixing a snack.

"Professor Lupin?" He asked timidly.

Remus smiled at the boy. "Harry again, we're not in school you can call me Remus," he told him encouragly.

Harry nodded, but inwardly he was shaking his head. That was just not happening, it was different then with Sirius who he still felt weird calling by his first name. It just felt disrespectful, especially considering how he was raised and manners were literally beat into him. He wouldn't be calling the man that.

"Um right. So um, I wanted to know if I could just pop in at the house? Because Professor Snape is coming by to see me today," he told the man quietly. He hoped the an didn't say no.

"That's fine actually cub, just floo back over if he's not. And if he is, just floo call us okay?" Remus told him good-naturedly.

"Okay," he chirped as he made to his way to the fireplace. Taking a breath, he calmly and clearly pronounced his location. "Dumbledore Manor," and disappeared into the green flames.

Harry landed on his backside, as he still hadn't got landing by floo down, but it turned out to be a good thing. As he felt and saw a spell fly over his head. It had a sickly yellow color to it, and it had him staying low as he pulled his wand out looking for the threat. The sitting room in the Manor was in shambles, and it looked like a war zone. Had someone broken in? Was Sirius okay? He was at a loss what to do?

He went to grab the floo powder intending on calling professor Lupin when he heard voices. His body relaxed when he recognized them, only they weren't the happy and neutral ones he knew. These tones of voices sounded angry, and dangerous and he was really scared. He had never heard them sound like this, what had happened? His heart leapt into his throat as he realized they weren't dueling like he was now being taught in school, this sounded serious.

"What the fuck Snape? That could have cut my head off!" Sirius was screaming.

"That was the intention," Severus said dryly. "Too bad you ducked,"

"You crazy son of a bitch," Sirius snarled out.

"Take that back, you inbred mutt," Severus said in return, his eyes glinting dangerously.
"Awww did I hurt someone's feeling by calling his mummy a bitch?" Sirius mocked childishly, his resemblance to Bellatrix evident in that moment.

Severus couldn't suppress a shudder at the mocking as he glared at the man. "At least my mum loved me, she didn't curse me trying to make me a better son," Severus said darkly.

Sirius swallowed thickly as he stared hatefully at the man across from him. "No that was your father's job if I recall correctly. Whose the ones whose boggart turned into dear ole daddy in 4th year?" Sirius taunted, giving it as good as he got it.

Severus didn't think at that remark, he let his wand to the talking, and the duel was back on. They didn't notice that they had company, to into the battle between each other. They didn't care at that moment, which frightened the already scared child to his core.

Harry felt hopeless and stuck. He could hear them yelling at each other, as they cursed one another. He had a hunch that they were fighting over him. But for the life of him he didn't know why. He loved them both, cherished them both and wanted them both in his life. Did they expect for him to choose? He gasped suddenly and flattened himself to the floor, as a angry red light came his way. He covered his head protectively as it hit the chair behind him and caused it to explode. He was afraid for his life, he couldn't even get to the safety of the floo as that required him to stand up and grab the floo powder, which put him in the line of fire.

He tried not to cry, but this was too much for the already emotional 13 year old. How was he surprised to get out of this? He swallowed thickly as his Gryffindor courage suddenly sprung to mind. He could get up and go stand in the middle and tell them to stop. Would they curse him? At the point, he didn't know. They might, and he wasn't s eagered to find out, but he really didn't have a choice. Bracing himself, he forced himself to calm feeling stupid for what he as about to do.

With tear stained cheeks, the small 13 year old forced himself to his feet, wand held shakily in his hand out as if to protect him. But honestly against two grown wizards he didn't stand a chance. Nodding to himself before he lost his nerve he hurried to where he could see the fighting had moved too. He jumped over overturn furniture and dodged stray spells trying not to get hurt. This was the stupidest idea ever! Taking a deep breath he ran head first into the battle between the two men, eye's wide as he saw two bursts of lights coming at him.

He screamed loudly in his fear, effectively startling the two men and causing his accidental magic to flare up and create a protective bubble around him as well as bursting the windows as he did so. He curled into himself, and felt to the floor, shaking profusely, as he mentally made sure that he was unhurt and okay. At least for the moment, the only sound in the room, was his harsh breathing as the men had finally stopped. He didn't see it, but Sirius and Severus's face were etched in horror as they looked at the child. Had they hit him? How hadn't they seen him come in? Further more what the hell had they been thinking?

Harry gulped tearfully as his heart finally started to slow down. "Why are you fighting?" He choked out unable to stop the gut wrenching sob of despair that all but exploded out of him.

"Oh fuck. Harry, you never run in between two people in a duel, ever," Sirius told him seriously as he stared at the prone form of his godson.

"But you guys wouldn't stop fighting," he wailed.

"As loathe as I am to admit it, Black is correct. That was stupid and irresponsible you could have been seriously hurt," Severus reprimanded him.

Harry visibly bristled at that, as he sniffled hard, making himself rein in his tears. He would cry later, but for now he needed to set the record straight.

"In case your forgot this is all your stupid faults! I'm not the one fighting like I'm a child messing up someone elses house! You both couldv'e killed me, and for what, because you're jealous of the affection I have for both of you?! Well you can just stop right there, I don't care how much you hate each other, I love you both. I don't love one more then the other, but the same as if I loved my parents!" Harry screamed out.

"I wasn't fighting over you," Severus started out gently.

"Yes you were! You both were. I see the way you glare at each other when you think I'm not looking. I know you hate each other, I heard you for ten minutes when I flooed over, cursing and everything! Why can't I have you both?" He asked brokenly, his rant over making way for his tears again.

"Hey kiddo it's okay," Sirius said lightly, trying to diffuse the tears.

"It's not okay, and you know it. Don't I deserve to have you both? Haven't I been a good enough boy for that?" He asked tearfully as he looked between the now silent men.

"Of course you have Harry," Severus told him firmly.

"Then you don't deserve me, if I'm such a good boy you wouldn't do this. I don't want either of you anymore," Harry breathed out tearfully before he ran out of the room and up the stairs to his own.

They watched him run away silently, knowing he didn't want to be bothered by either of them at the moment. They had never meant to hurt Harry in this way, and each man as dealing with his own line of guilt for making that special child suffer even more.

Sirius fell into the chair, his wand clattering to the floor as he did but he couldn't find it in him to care at this point. They were grown men, what the hell were they doing fighting like that? And in front of an impressionable 13 year old to boot, they should be ashamed of themselves. He glanced over at the Slytherin who was staring at the wall to the side of his head and he shook his own head.

If Albus had of been home now they would be in for it, they had acted as if they were mere school boys and the old man would have punished them as such. As if they had no kind of sense. He knew what he had to do, the problem was he didn't want to do it. He didn't want to be the bigger person, but unless he wanted to lose his godson again he knew he had too. Because for some strange reason Harry loved Snape too.

"Snape, look. We both love that kid and fighting over him isn't doing either of us any favors. I know you hate me, and that's fine. I used to hate you in return, but I don't anymore," Sirius told him with a sigh. It was true, his hatred for Snape had stopped the minute he'd seen the Slytherin with Harry that day. He knew the only reason that Pettigrew didn't escape was because Snape was a thorough man, and he owed him.

"What the hell are you trying to pull Black?" Severus asked carefully, his dark eyes flicking over the Gryffindor.

"I'm not trying to pull anything, I just don't want to lose my godson, not after I just got him back. I love that kid to death and he loves us in the same regard and I'm not going to be selfish anymore," Sirius said as he blew out a breath. Man had that been hard to say.

"So what are you trying to say?" Severus said his eyes narrowing at the man's words. He wasn't sure if this was a trick or not. After all one couldn't be too careful when they were dealing with a Black.

"That I'm sorry for my behavior towards you all these years and now. I'm not the same person I was back in school, and Harry will never be James. I know this apology won't magically erase years of hatred but it's a step. I don't want to lose that little boy in there, he deserves the world. And I will give it to him in any form it takes because he deserves it. He wants you, so I will let him have you too," Sirius said before he stood up and walked towards the window as his emotions got the better of him.

Severus was floored for a moment unable to believe what he was hearing but at the same time he wasn't surprised. Harry had made it very clear that he wouldn't choose between them. He would rather have no one then pick between him and Black. It meant the world to know that he was held in that same regard as the child's chosen godfather and it had some effect on the usually dour man.

"I apologize as well, the hatred is...was mutual. For Harry, I would like a new start as well. No more name calling, no more biased and blatant lies, and no more hexes. Harry could have gotten hurt earlier today in our carelessness," Severus said quietly.

"I know, I was thinking the same thing. I knew if Albus had of been here we would have been dead," Sirius said with a weak chuckle.

"How is this going to work then? As you said earlier I have no claim over Harry. If something were to happen, I would be powerless to do anything," Severus said unable to hide the bitter tone.

"Not yet no, but you will. Harry needs a loving home, but he also needs structure and I can admit that I cannot provide that. Remus would be the ideal choice, but he's a bit tied up with Theodore now, so you see therein lies the problem," Sirius said with a slight shrug, as he gave the man an apologetic look.

"I see," Severus said slowly, refusing to believe what Black had just maybe said he was going to do.

"I'll go today and set up to where we have joint custody of Harry," Sirius said bluntly as Snape was giving him a look of disbelief. "Like I said, Harry deserves the world, and he wants you in his life and he will have it. If something were to happen to me you would have full custody, and vice versa," he explained.

Severus nodded, they would need to talk about this in a bit more depth but the sooner they took care of the paperwork the better. Harry needed to see the proof, he was a Slytherin at heart and he knew from his childhood that words were meaningless.

"I'll call in a favor from Flint, he'll see to it," Sirius was telling him.

Severus gave the man a wary look. "Flint?"

"Yeah, Amanda is actually my niece twice removed or something like that. We looked into the family trees, and anyway, the kid adores me," Sirius said with a smile.

"Purebloods," Severus said with a face.

"Yeah well, I didn't choose to be born one, I just was. But anyway, he;ll get a rush order on the paperwork and by the end of the week, we'll have joint custody," Sirius was finishing.

Severus sighed, but this was better then Black having full custody at least he would be a stable part of Harry's life. "Good, now how are we going to fix the blunder we made with Harry?"

"I don't know, I think we need to give him time," Sirius said honestly.

"Hmm, actually that's a good idea. And when the paperwork come in, we'll show him then. That way he knows that he doesn't have to choose between us," Severus said, he would give the world for Harry. Sirius had been right, Harry came first, always had been and always would be from now on. He nodded to himself, hoping the little boy would find it in his heart to forgive them, they had made a right mes of things.

Sirius was nodding, as he looked to the man wearily. "The only problem now, is where exactly are we going to live?" He muttered out.

Severus shook his head, as he leaned back in his chair, that was a question for another day. Right now though, he needed to work on just how he was getting back into the good graces of Lily's son.

The End.
End Notes:
Please review, they make me feel all nice and fuzzy on the inside. This beast took ages to finish, so I hope it's appreciated.
Chapter 16: Thestrals, and School Resumes by Severus Draconis Potter
Author's Notes:
So gues what guys I'm back! My laptop was destroyed but I was able to get all my things recovered...wouldn't you

Okay, this story has a bit of a time skip, throughout this chapter and possibly the next.

Sirius sighed loudly, his gaze turning to look at the Slytherin opposite of him. He glanced around the house and really wished he didn't when he caught sight of the disaster. Had they really been that gone in their rage to not notice how they had destroyed Albus's home? That thought had him sitting up quickly and looking around widely for a clock. The wizard in him panicked at the thought, not even thinking to spell a Tempus charm.

 "Black what the hell are you doing?" Severus asked quietly, as the other man seemed to be freaking out. He didn't want to deal with Black when he was like this; he was already trying to figure out how to keep his side of the truce. He knew the other man was a Gryffindor through in through despite his Slytherin traits. Sirius Black was a loyal man; he had to give him that.

"I just had a bad thought, about Albus coming home and seeing this mess. He's gonna kill us," Sirius said in a panicked tone.

 Severus waved that away and gave the man a look that said he was being melodramatic. "Relax, what time does he usually get home?" He asked causally.

"About 6, he's really into togetherness for dinner. Well he has been the last few weeks after Harry disclosed something about those wretched relatives of his. Speaking of those, we need to discuss with him, what all happened with them. Because the vibe I got when we talked wasn't good," Sirius said solemnly.

"Abuse rarely is," Severus said confirming it in just those few words.

Sirius swore before he shook his head, they could discuss that bit later. Right now they had better things to do, as he glanced at the clock over the mantel and quickly started spelling things fixed or clean. "Hurry up, and help me," he hissed out to the man.

"Black, Albus is at the ministry. I doubt he'll be on time today. It's already passed 6 as it..." Severus broke off his sentence as he heard the floo, his heart dropping into his stomach before picking up overtime as he watched the twinkle in those blue eyes go out in an instance as he looked around his house.

"Would someone like to explain to me just why my house is destroyed? Choose your words carefully gentleman, I've had a rather trying day as it is," Albus said quietly. Though his words were phrased as a question, it was anything but and they all knew it.

Severus and Sirius exchanged glances at that, feeling like schoolboys getting reprimanded at that moment. It looked like they were trying to silently communicate to get their stories right but was interrupted when they heard the pattering of feet coming down the stairs.  They were grateful that the stern blue eyes moved off of them to turn to look at the child. Only when the old man turned to look at Harry the eyes were gentle and with concern.

Albus sighed in relief when he saw that Harry was unhurt, he had hoped that nothing had happened to the child. He had a hunch he knew what those two had been doing, and he would be getting to the bottom of this as to why. "Hello Harry, how was your day?" He asked conversationally.

"It was good for a little bit. I went to spend the day with Remus and Theo. But then when I got back here, it wasn't so good anymore," Harry told the man, his eyes flashing angrily to his Professor and Godfather.

Sirius just thought Harry was still angry but Severus saw the look for what it was and quietly swore.

"What?" Sirius whispered out curiously to the other man.

 "Albus is getting ready to kill us, Harry will tell him everything," Severus said quietly, knowing they deserved it, but he had no desire to get punished as if he was a mere boy.

"Why did it turn bad Harry?" Albus asked once the other men had turned back to attention.

"Because when I flooed back for a second, I almost got cursed. Sirius and the Professor were dueling. And not the way Professor Lupin is teaching us, but actually hurting each other! I heard Professor Snape say that he was sorry that he missed Sirius's head, and he threw a cutting curse!" Harry told the man fearfully, his face portraying everything he felt during that time.

"And you were alone, I take it? My boy, I'm so sorry. Harry is it possible that you'll allow me to watch that memory of you being here when they dueled?" Albus asked quietly, his eyes flashing angrily to the two men.

"Yeah but I didn't get all of it, I was hiding mostly," Harry told him quietly slightly ashamed of that.

"That is fine actually. I prefer that you were hiding rather than jumping in the middle of that fight. When people allow anger and rage to take over, they rarely see reason, and do not care who they hurt," Albus told him seriously.

Harry gave the man a sheepish and embarrassed look. "I ran in the middle of the duel to get them to stop," he admitted softly.

Albus pierced him with a look of concern but he shook his head. He couldn't scold the boy, he clearly hadn't known what to do and he never should have ever been in that situation to begin with. "I don't need to tell you to never do that again do I?" He asked him quietly.

"No the Professor and Sirius already yelled at me for doing that, as if it was my fault. I wouldn't have done it, if they hadn't been fighting," Harry muttered out bitterly.

"I know Harry, I will be having a chat with both of them," he promised him before he pulled out a small vial and gently took the memory from the child. He along with the other two men would be visiting his pensive when everything was all said and done. He wanted them to see what could have happened while they were dueling.

Harry nodded happily, but his frown was still there. "Do you think I could eat dinner with Professor Lupin and Theo?" He asked sweetly.

"I think that's a good idea, have Remus floo when you're ready to come home. We may or may not still be in the sitting room," Albus told the child.

Harry nodded that he understood before he disappeared into the green flames, without a care in the world.

Albus turned to face the two men who had destroyed his sitting room. "I think it's time we've all had a bit of a chat boys," he told them sternly, feeling slightly nostalgic as he saw their guilty faces. The old man couldn't help the amusement he felt at their contrite faces; it serves them right. 

"Albus, if you would just let me explain," Severus tried weakly.

"At the moment Severus, you are to address me as Headmaster. Since you both want to act like mere boys, I will discipline you as such and then when it is all said and done, we will see if you will then act like the men I know you both to be," he told him firmly.

Sirius gulped audibly at the implications of that, turning a quick gaze to Snape. He knew then that they were royally screwed.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

A few days after Albus had given both Sirius and Severus that blistering lecture found Sirius making his way up to Harry's room with an important document. He and Severus as well as the ministry already had a copy but now it was for Harry to have one of his own. For the boy to know that he belonged to someone now, that he wasn't alone in this world any longer.  He knew he should probably wait for Severus but honestly the man was out looking for a place for them to live.

He knew that they could have used any of the Potters, the Blacks or even the Prince houses but the last thing they wanted was memories that came attached to the places. It was better to start fresh. Ad since Snape knew what to look for Sirius left him too it. It was still amazing to him, how much they could work together if they really tried. True the git still got on his nerves, but that would never change he didn't think. He had been right; they complimented one another very well. Where Snape was stern, Sirius wasn't.

Now he just had to convince Harry that this was a good plan. Hopefully the boy didn't hate him any longer; he had been beside himself as he had minimal contact with his godson these last couple of days. Sirius made it to the door of Harry's room before he knocked on it before letting himself in. He didn't want the child to give him a chance to say no, this needed to be said and done. He knew that his godson might still be annoyed but it was a risk he was willing to take.

Harry's displeasure was known soon after as he turned to look at who had invaded his domain. He relished in having his own room, his own sanctuary where he could be himself and do anything he wanted. Having been denied this growing up, he was very attached to it and he didn't like it when people just came into it.

"Grandpa Albus said that you have to wait until I let you come in here," Harry told the man with a frown.

Sirius made a face and went to dispute that before his eyes narrowed. "Grandpa Albus?"

"He said I can't call him Headmaster and to pick a new name," Harry said defensively.

"I wasn't judging kiddo, I was just curious," Sirius said quickly not wanting to fight with the child.

"Alright," Harry replied slowly. "Can I help you Sirius?"

"Yeah, I actually need to talk to you about something. Remember the reason we moved in with Albus a month ago?" He asked him gently.

"Because I couldn't go back to my relatives and you were still a convict," Harry told him promptly.

"Yes that is true, however Remus has ties in the Ministry and he was able to push for a trial for me. And long story short, I was granted my freedom and compensation for the time spent in the prison," he told him happily.

Harry gaped at his godfather excitedly. "You're free?" He asked barely able to believe it.

"I'm free," he said getting slightly choked up at the memory of that quick trial. "Yeah and um I wanted you to know what that means for you and me," he added.

"You want me to live with you," Harry told him softly as he stared at the man's shoes. He sighed, but he couldn't be choosy, it wasn't like he had homes lining up for him. No he didn't care about that; he just wanted to know what his Professor had to say about that. He knew though that to turn this down would let his godfather down and so he knew what he would need to do.

"Yes, but Severus will also be living with us as well. I don't know how to raise a child," Sirius told him lightly throwing the other man's name in the mix to get it over with. He didn't need to see his godson disappointed and as he had told himself and Severus. They would make this work, because if they didn't that little boy would suffer. And Harry didn't need any more nightmares.

Harry's neck went up so fast he winced, what his godfather had said.  "Who is living with us?" He asked trying not to hope.

"Your Professor, Severus Snape, we've both spoke with Albus and we all agree this would be for the best," Sirius told him.

"No jokes, this is serious?" Harry asked in disbelief. As much as he wanted this it felt almost too good to be true.

"As serious as my name kiddo, actually here I have the paper for you. This is your copy to keep," Sirius told him as he unfolded the joint adoption parchment giving both the men custody of the child in front of him.

Harry read the paper quickly, his grip tightening on the parchment before he suddenly threw himself at the man. "Thank you!" He whispered out tearfully.

If Sirius had ever felt that it was a bad idea to include Snape, he had his answer in the hug Harry was currently giving him or the tearful thanks he was currently on the end of. This is what James meant all those years ago, he would do right by Harry, both he and Snape both.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Harry couldn't remember the last time he had been this happy. He glanced at the house; well really it was a Manor that stood in front of them. They had picked it out, thinking of him, he knew because he remembered Sirius chatting about the backyard and how it had a Quidditch pitch in it. He was very excited not to mention he couldn't wait to see his room.

No matter how much he loved his room at Grandpa Albus's house, he knew he would love this one even more as this was his forever home.  He smiled brightly as he looked at his two guardians, he wasn't sure how it was going to be living with both of them but the old man had promised that he would be checking in on them. Harry was sure it was to make sure that neither man ended up dueling one another again.

"Go inside Harry, your room is already picked out and decorated. I think you'll love it," Sirius told him cheerfully.

"Okay," Harry chirped out happily as he ran inside the manor.

 "You did good Snape," Sirius said as he looked at the building. "Very good,"

 I'm glad that you approve," Severus stated unable to tone down the sarcastic tone fully as he looked at the other man.

Sirius gave a shrug as he turned to the Slytherin.  "Did you already pick our rooms?"

"Mostly, you can still change yours if you prefer. The way I set it up is our room is down the hall from the left and right of Harry's. We are on either side of him but a few doors away so he can see he has some privacy but at the same time he is close if something were to happen," Severus explained.

"That's perfect," Sirius said and he meant it.

"Let's get in there then, don't want him to worry," Severus said refusing to admit he wanted to see Harry's reaction to his room.

"I'm sure that's it," Sirius said with a chuckle, seeing right through it but letting the man have it. He was still laughing as he followed the Potion's Master into the Manor.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Time passed with the new little family getting to know each other's quirks but the two adults making sure that everything worked out. They had a common mission to make sure that Harry was taken care of and so the remains of their little rivalry faded away to almost non-existence.  And Harry seemed to really flounder, after all he had never had parents before and he relished in all the attention they gave him.

And as the two men had never had kids they gave him everything they ever could. But all too soon Christmas was upon them and then the New Year was here until finally they got the letter they were waiting for in the post. Hogwarts was reopening! Harry was so excited to see his friends not to mention starting school again, he couldn't wait. All too soon, the day was upon them and everyone, not just Harry was a little worried.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

"Why do I have to ride the train? Can't I just floo there, please?" Harry pleaded to his godfather with puppy dog eyes.

"No kiddo, this is an experience. You haven't seen most of your friends in two months and when did you see then it was at the funerals. That's not a joyous time, and given everything that's happened you all need to reconnect," Sirius told him firmly, though his tone wavered at the puppy dog eyed look.

"But I don't wanna take the train," he whined out.

"I don't like whining Harry, you're taking it and that's final," Severus told him as he came around the corner.

Harry pouted as he looked at his guardian with a look of contempt but he didn't say anything in response to that. He could get away with whining and other things with Sirius, but with Snape whining was asking to get stuck in the corner or something even worse like lines. He had learned these past two months, and not all of the lessons had been very nice.

"How come he always listens to you? I swear I have to fight him when I say no," Sirius complained to the Slytherin.

"That's because you're not firm with him," Severus said as he buttoned up his robe lazily.

"I was too, I had on my serious voice," he said with a grin at the joke.

"That is why he doesn't listen," Severus said gesturing where they heard a small giggle to the side of him.

"Oi, I don't want to be stern anyway," Sirius pouted out as he made a silly face at the child.

"Precisely why I am here," Severus said with a shake of his head as he made his way into the floo room.

 ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Molly was fretting with her children as they stood on the Platform, surprisingly early for once, and reluctant to let her children go. She held the twins to her chest, Ron never leaving her side only Ginny seemed the least bothered ad that might be to the fact that she wasn't being hugged which soon changed as Fred and George pulled back from their mother.

"I know you don't want too, but I need you both to take care of Ron," she told them seriously as she held her youngest son close.

"Mum we know, we've gone over this numerous times. We're gonna watch out for him and Harry and Ginny and everyone else you said too," George promised her sincerely.

"I know, but I just I know Ron isn't ready for school yet. He still won't say anything," she said turning to look at her husband fretfully.

"Albus thinks that Ron is ready for school. To let him stay home will not do him any good, he has to go to school. And his mind healer is going with him, and he will be seeing him twice a week or more depending on his progress," he told her soothingly. "And this is paid for, by the school. This is his best chance Molly,"

Molly nodded that he was right, even if she didn't want to admit it. Her eldest sons had been helping pay the healer for Ron as they themselves struggled with the hospital bills for Percy. It was stretching them all thin and once again Albus had come through. He had managed to get the healer that had been seeing Ron these past few months to come to Hogwarts. And though he would help more students' Ron was the priority for him.

"Alright, just remember what I said," Molly said as she hugged her youngest son close to her. "Try to get into trouble Ronnie, I won't be mad at all," she told him seriously as she kissed the top of his head.

It was George who whipped his head around to look at his mother in disbelief. "Mum did you just tell him you want him to get into trouble? Oy, I sense some favoritism here Fred," he said with a grin.

Fred laughed even as his gaze remained firm on his little brother, Ron hadn't even twitched. He knew why his mum didn't care if Ron got into trouble, that just meant that he was almost back to his normal self. He would do anything to get his little brother back, he blinked hard before gently pulling the younger sibling too him.

"We're gonna go get a compartment alright mum, we'll be back," Fred told her.

"Alright," Molly replied as she kissed each of her children once more. She was clingier because of what had happened a few months ago. But she would need to be strong for them.

"I love you mum, and I'll help take care of Ron, I promise," Ginny replied firmly.

"I know honey, and thank you," Molly told her tearfully as she watched her children get on the train. Though she knew that Hogwarts was still be rebuilt and even more protective charms were being put on the school she still worried.

She hugged her husband tight as she looked around the platform; even though they were early it was still quite a bit of families there. Not that you could tell as the noise level was definitely muted compared to how it usually was. She took a deep breath as before turning around as she heard her name.

"Mrs. Weasely!" Harry repeated out anxiously.

"Calm down Harry, we're heading to her now," Severus told the child calmly.

"Harry!" Molly called out to him once he was close before throwing her arms open as she had an armful of a child.

"I'm sorry I didn't get to visit a lot," Harry mumbled to her. "How's Ron; is he better now?" He asked worriedly.

"Ron is, still the same but he's getting there. Some days he will come out of himself but other days he's in his head still," she told him sadly.

"I'm sorry, I wish he was better," Harry told her softly.

"It's not your fault, and don't you be thinking it is. I'm glad all of you are all right, and he'll still be your friend, I just hope you'll still be his," she told him.

"Of course, Ron's my best mate. I'll just have to take care of him until he can do it himself," Harry told her proudly.

"You're a good boy Harry," Molly told him tearfully.

"I try to be," Harry replied honestly before he pulled back and turned to his guardians. "I'll see you guys in a few hours right?"

"Yes Harry, we'll both be at Hogwarts," Sirius replied.

"Kay, so no sappy stuff, I'm gonna go find Ron," he told them as he hugged both of his adults before running to get on the train.

Severus watched him fondly as he turned to look at the Weasleys.  "Was there anything you needed us to do?"

"Just watch over them like you have been maybe watch over Ron a bit more. I told Albus you are to read over his healer's finding," Arthur added.

"Of course," Severus replied knowing he would have done it anyway. He continued talking with the older Weasleys until about 2 minutes before the train was leaving and the rest of her brood appeared off the train.

"Told you we'd be back mum, we'll write every week, and I promise I will watch out for Ron," George promised them.

"Keep us updated on Percy's health," Fred added. "Ginny is with Ron and Harry but she say's bye too," they added before hurrying back to the train.

"Just another year starting over, and yet you can feel the difference in the air," Molly remarked softly.

"It's to be expected," Arthur said as they all waved as the train pulled off from the station. "Come on along honey, we need to see to Percy,"

Molly nodded as she turned to face Severus and Sirius. "You both have done good by Harry, he needs that. Keep taking good care of him," she told them both fondly before she headed to the floo with her husband.

Severus shook his head as the emotions threatened to cloud his judgment. He needed to get through this first day, it was the hardest part he knew that.  "Are you heading to Hogwarts now?"

"In a bit, I need to visit with Moony, and help him finish packing for Hogwarts," Sirius told him.

"Was Theo on the train?" Severus wondered.

"Yeah he was, I told Harry to look for him," he added.

"Good, they all need as many friends as they can get," Severus added.

"Right you are," Sirius murmured.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Harry cold admit to himself that the current feeling on the train was eerie, he didn't know how else to explain it. They had just left the station and though he had though the platform being quiet was weird that had nothing on this. The twins had been different, serious for instance and he didn't like it. They had promised to check in on them later, and he knew from the look in their eyes that they meant it. He glanced up at Hermione who was gazing contemplatively out the window instead of reading the book in her lap.

"Hermione, are you okay? How come you didn't answer any of my letters?" Harry asked quietly as his eyes flickered to Ron.

"My parents were sure of letting me stay in the wizarding world. This had nothing to do with magic, they know that, and I know that. But they're worried, and I get their reasoning. I had to ignore magic for a bit and we had to take care of a few things as a family," she replied quietly.

"Yeah I get how that is, the family bit. I got a new family," Harry told her shyly.

"Who are they?" Hermione asked her eyebrows up in surprise.

"You'll see when we get to school," he told her with a childish glee.

Hermione grinned in return and nodded. "I'm looking forward to it,"

Harry sighed as their conversation died; this was what he was talking about. He promised Sirius that he would go and look for Theo on the train but he wasn't feeling it at the moment. He would do it later. He turned to make sure Ron didn't need anything before he curled up and fell asleep.

 ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Harry was jolted awake by the conductor's voice telling them all that the train had arrived in the station.  He yawned before gently pulling his friend up as Hermione led the way out of the compartment and then the train. Harry walked onto the station platform towards where the carriages would be with Ron and Hermione, and he couldn't get used to the silence. It seemed like neither could Hermione as well, as his red-headed friend always had something to say, except now and he didn't like it. As it was, he had his friend's arm leading them towards the horseless carriages only to freeze when he saw them. He wasn't the only one to stop, he felt Ron tense but the boy made no other reaction. He could vaguely see out the corner of his eyes other students stopping to stare at the strange creatures. What were they? And why the hell were they here?

"What are they?" Dennis whispered out fearfully from where he was standing by the trio.

"What are what Dennis? I don't see anything," Hermione said in confusion as she still saw horseless carriages. She had after all left when they did the first evacuations.

"They're called Thestrals, you can only see if you've seen death," Draco told the younger boy as he had been behind him before he swallowed thickly as he made his way towards a carriage.

"Oh," Dennis breathed out harshly as he fought his tears, as he looked at the skeletal horses trying to get control of his emotions. He hugged his torso tightly, wishing for his older brother more than ever. He was only 11 and Colin had been 12 and yet the older boy had protected him at the expense of his life.

"Hey hey, Dennis its okay, it's alright. Its fine, you can cry if you want. No one is gonna make fun of you," Lee Jordan said gently as he wrapped an arm around the small boy and led him to one of the carriages.

Hermione was staring in horror at what she just learned; she couldn't see them because she had been whisked away before anything truly happened. But Ron and Harry and poor Dennis they could see. And clearly so could many of the other students, oh god, why had she wanted to come back to this?

Harry shook the thought away as he turned to his friend, waving a hand slightly in his face trying to see if his friend would wave it away. He knew they all dealt with the trauma differently and it sucked to know that Ron was like this way. He wanted his best friend back, but until he was there he wouldn't abandoned the boy. He would stick by him, through it all.

It was somber ride to the school; Harry didn't have the energy or the want to even attempt conversation. Everyone was in their own thoughts, especially those who had just seen what was pulling the carriages. He swallowed thickly as they silently made their way up to the castle. The quiet was unnerving, and he got his first look at Hogwarts since that fateful day.

The castle wasn't completely fixed and you could still see some cracks and splints but on a whole Hogwarts was good. He made sure he had Ron's arm remembering what Mrs. Weasely had said as they trooped into the Great Hall. The staff wasn't at the head table, they were all waiting by the house tables, and there to give a hand to the students in they need be. He made his way with Ron and Hermione to Sirius and gave his godfather a sad look.

"Why didn't you warn me about the Thestrals? Is this the real reason why you wanted me to take the train?" He asked tearfully, trying to shake the hurt away.

Sirius was staring at Harry in horror at the boy's words, he had forgotten about the carriages and his eyes flicked to Albus and then Snape. "No, they slipped our mind; we didn't know you would be able to see them. Take a seat Harry, we'll explain it, I promise," he said ruffling his godson's hair before he made his way to the Slytherin.

"What is it Black?" Severus asked when he saw the man coming towards him. There was no animosity in the calling the man by his last name now, it was more out of habit.

"Harry can see Thestrals, and I'm pretty sure he's not the only one," Sirius breathed out quietly as he got a look at the Slytherin table.

"Sweet Merlin," Severus muttered out his eyes flickering over to Albus.  "Go tell him, he needs to explain to them just why,"

Sirius nodded and hurried towards the old man, who was giving a small Hufflepuff first year a much needed hug. "Albus, some of the students can see the horseless carriages. Harry can," he added quietly.

Albus shook his head sadly, he didn't think about that. No doubt they had witnessed some of their classmate's demise and he didn't want to bring up those memories. It was inevitable as it all happened at Hogwarts. Which is why he nodded to himself, he had been right when he had been discussing with Molly about mind Healers coming to Hogwarts. The sad thing was he didn't think any of the parents would be against it. He collected himself before he cleared his throat. There was no need to even perform a sonorous as the Great hall was quiet.

"It has come to my attention that a few of you were concerned and confused about what exactly was pulling the carriages that brought you to the castle," Albus started of gently.

Harry glanced up at the Headmaster, noting that everyone else seemed to give the old man their attention as well.

"They are called Thestrals, and are harmless unless otherwise provoked. I'm sorry that you all can see them, for they to become visible to you, you would have seen some type of death. I also want you all to know that there will be a mind healer here for the remainder of the year. Which also means each of you will be required to meet with him at least once, so we can evaluate your mental state," he told him kindly.  "You may sit wherever you wish, houses are not in affect right now," he added as he turned to comfort another child.

Harry made sure he had Ron's hand; he wasn't ashamed to hold his mate's hand before leading the red-headed over to where the Slytherin table was.  He wasn't the only Gryffindor that had followed, he could see Neville on the other side of Ron and he was grateful for that. He settled down on the bench pulling Ron down with him to sit as well.

"Hey Theo, I'm sorry I didn't see you on the train," Harry told the other boy apologetically.

"It's okay, "the Slytherin replied quietly. "I needed to keep Draco company anyway,"

Harry nodded quickly. "That's cool too," he said and he meant it. He knew from his Professor that Draco wasn't doing so well. He would try super hard to gain the other's boy's hand in friendship.

Draco looked up from where he had been staring at his book. He felt almost as if he didn't belong here, because of what or who was missing. Every time he looked at Theo he saw a white cast on his arm, and though Draco knew he himself wasn't hurt he couldn't explain the pain he felt inside of him.

"I wonder what's for dinner," he stated conversationally.

"I don't know, I'm not all that hungry to be honest," Harry replied before quickly turning as the headmaster was speaking again.  He shook his head he wasn't interested to hear about this. He talked among his friends for the moment until the food silently appeared. It seemed to be some type of stew for which Harry was grateful. After setting Ron up with a bowl he started to eat his food, glancing up when he saw one of the twins make their way over to them.

"Doing alright Harry; you and Ron?" Fred asked seriously.

 "We're okay," the Gryffindor replied easily.

"Good when you're not come find me or George," he told him firmly.

"I will," he promised.

 "Good," Fred replied happily before he turned to look across the table of the not so subtle blonde who had been staring at him.

Draco ducked his head when they made eye contact and scowled. He didn't know why he was looking at the older boy. It wasn't like Fred could help him, the other boy had made it perfectly clear those few months ago in the Headmaster's office when he had left him. He just wanted the stupid boy to walk away and leave him alone. He didn't care about him; he didn't need him or anyone.

"How you doing over there Blondie?" Fred asked kindly.

Draco shook his head as he sipped his stew. "I've been better," he muttered out wondering why he was even replying.

"Anything I can help you with to make it almost the way it was?" Fred pressed.

"No, no one can, and that's on me," Draco hissed out before he stood up, and after grabbing a bread roll hurried from the table and out the hall.

"You should've left him alone Weaseley," Theo grumbled but there was no heat in his tone.

"Naw, I shouldn't have, and I won't stop. Everybody needs someone," Fred said as he stood up and glanced out the door Draco left. "Especially him," he murmured out and he meant it. He would be keeping an eye out on one Draco Malfoy.

The End.
End Notes:
Hope I still have some readers on this story. I have a few things already written out for it.
Chapter 17: What Hurts the Most is No one Noticed by Severus Draconis Potter
Author's Notes:
Alright, this chapter is all over the place, it's intentional because the next chapter explains the space. There is a Time jump in this bit again the bits are explained in the next bit.

I just need you guys to remember the tags up above and trigger warnings up to the tags up above. This and the next one was by the hardest chapters to write. But its also been planned to end this way since the beginning.

Harry gave a shrug not really understanding what Fred meant nor did he really care. He sighed as he turned to the Headmaster as the man stood up once more.

 "We all know of the situation that caused our normal lives to cease to be what they were that tragic day. Hogwarts lost 23 of its pupils that day and I know each and every one of you has been touched by this feeling of loss. Starting tomorrow everyone will be seeing a mind healer to determine how affected they are during this time. It is mandatory for every student to visit the infirmary when it is their time," Albus told the students seriously. No one would be getting out of this. He had failed his students once before he wouldn't be making that mistake this time.

Harry knew he wasn't the only one who tensed at the beginning of the Headmaster's speech. He hadn't know that 23 students had died, but looking around the room he could see the empty spaces and he swallowed thickly as his grief made itself know. He knew that he and Ron were going to be seeing the healers for quite some time. He tended to hold in his emotions and apparently that wasn't good according to his guardians.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

The return back to classes for Harry wasn't necessarily hard per say, it was more that he found himself turning to look for his dorm mate only to remember that the Irish boy had died. He knew he wasn't the only one who reacted when Neville accidently blew up something in charms. It was Dean though who was clearly struggling with the grief that came along with that. He didn't know how he would have functioned if Ron had died. He shook his head not wanting the thoughts to take over. He knew he wasn't alone in his thoughts he just didn't want them to be in the forefront of his mind.

He had seen Theo have a full blown panic attack in DADA just yesterday. He still wasn't sure what had brought it on, only that Remus had canceled the class and ushered Theo into his office. He sighed, they weren't coping very well, but he guessed the only thing that would help was time.

Harry was feeling a sense of guilt at being so happy all things considering but before the accident at the school he had been living with his relatives and now he had two amazing guardians. He hated that it took all of this for him to get a real family. He wasn't completely sure how he felt about it. He could see a few more notable changes in his classmates, especially Neville. When they went down to the Dungeons for their Potion's class he had see that his friend didn't seem to be as afraid of Professor Snape as before. He longed to ask him about it, but he was afraid that it would trigger something and he didn't want that.

 

As it was they were on their way out of the potion's classroom and about to head to the Great Hall for dinner. Harry made sure that Ron was next to him before his eyes unconsciously searched out the blonde hair Slytherin. He didn't feel any time of hatred for the boy any longer, as Draco had lost two of his dorm mates and close friends. Besides after all that there was no reason to fight. It seemed they weren't the only one in agreement as the Slytherins weren't versus the Gryffindors any longer, well at least not at this time. He spotted the boy who looked to be hunched in on himself and he frowned, slowing down slowly so they could match his pace.

"Hey Draco, you doing alright? Do you want to sit with Ron and I at dinner?" Harry asked casually. He was playing nice, both of his guardians seemed to be in agreement that Draco wasn't doing as well as he let on but he didn't seem inclined to take their offer of help up. Not to mention Fred seemed to think Draco needed a friend. Harry was willing to offer his friendship; he didn't like seeing his peer like this. He hated to say this, but he kind of missed the old Draco.

Draco turned to stare at Potter in disbelief before he shook his head. He wanted to say yes, Merlin he did but he knew he couldn't. How would that look to everyone else, if he was having a good time when his friends were dead? He shook his head shaking away the thoughts before he looked over at the other boy.

"Another time," he muttered out before he hurried down the hallway.

Draco didn't want the other boy to try to get another time. He was finding out these Gryffindor were persistent when they wanna be. He knew he would eventually give into their wants but something inside of him didn't feel like he had deserved it. He was pulling away from his friends and they didn't even notice it, too busy into their own turmoil. He didn't blame them but it was hard dealing with this pain on his own. Pansy was even different, he frowned he hadn't actually seen her at all day come to think of it. He hoped nothing was wrong.

Harry watched him go with a firm nod. He was gonna befriend Draco no matter what. He knew he could use more friends and so could the blonde Slytherin. He just needed a plan.

~*~*~*~1 month later*~*~*~*~*~*

Fred couldn't believe it, he was ecstatic for his brother. Percy was walking again, when he had given up hope on ever doing it. He agreed with his father whole heartedly, muggles were good people they had great ideas sometimes. And now the magical community would be taking a page out of their book so to speak. His brother had magical prosthetics, the first of its kind and he was flourishing. He grinned brightly unable to wipe it off his face, not that he wanted too.

It was the first time where he felt like he had no worries. It had been a while since he had felt this. As he walked into the Great Hall for dinner, his eyes immediately went to scan the Slytherin table to look for Draco, frowning when he didn't see the blonde boy. Where was he? He racked his mind trying to figure out where the boy might be when he closed his eyes and cursed underneath his breath.

"Fuck," he hissed out, remembering in that moment that he and Draco were meant to meet up earlier that day at lunch.

"Language Mr. Weasely," Minerva said giving him a disapproving look as she had been right behind him.

"Sorry Professor, I just, I have to go. Excuse me," he said before he hurried out the hall leaving a confused Headmistress behind.

The Gryffindor teen check in the Slytherin Dungeons first, but he wasn't there before; he went through all of Draco's usual hiding spots coming up empty.  He knew Draco was probably angry with him, and that was fine. He would plead for his forgiveness and then tell him what had kept him. He knew the boy would understand. He was frowning and he hurried back towards the Gryffindor tower to find mostly everyone gone.

That was fine; he needed the Marauders map anyway. Harry wouldn't mind, especially since they had given it back to him.  Accioing the item, he revealed the code and looked for the child, grinning triumphantly when he found him on the map. He was in an old classroom on the 8th floor, what was he doing there? He would find out, and soon hurried out the common room and up the steps.

As he got higher, he found himself getting an ominous feeling in his stomach, and his speed increased. He was worried beyond belief and his fast paced walk soon turned into a run that left him panting as he stood outside the door and pocketed the man.

"Please be okay," he whispered out softly to himself before he opened the door, only to gasp in horror as he took in the scene and running in. "Draco!"

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Down in the Great Hall, George was chatting happily with his friends, and his little brother, happy to see that Ron was almost back to his normal self. It was a slow going process but at least the boy seemed to be listening now, the mind healer was definitely helping a lot. And thanks to everyone who was seeing one, no one looked twice that Ron was going 3 times a week.  He had been wondering slightly about where his twin was but as he didn't see Malfoy at the Slytherin table he deduced they were together, nothing strange about it.

However, unbeknownst to him, but when his brother found Draco, in that very moment he felt a jolt go through his own body and froze at the implications of what that mean. Identical twins in both the muggle and magical world shared a connection, a type of bond if you will. In the case of magical beings they were truly one in the same so to speak. The same way that allowed him to finish his brother's sentences allowed him to feel when something wasn't right. He stood up suddenly in alarm.

"George? What is it mate?" Lee asked quietly.

"Something's wrong," he said finding himself choking on a sob as a wave of grief that wasn't his came through their bond.

He turned to look at his little brother worriedly who was staring at him blankly, a slight curious expression in his eyes but wasn't speaking. Merlin he hoped whatever this was didn't backtrack all of that hard work they had done to Ron. This was nothing new sadly, but still he wished that everything was back to normal.

"Is it Fred?" Harry asked the question they were all wondering about.

"I don't know, stay here. Do not follow me Ronnie," he said firmly getting a bad feeling in the pit of his stomach, especially as he noticed the hard look his brother was sporting in his direction.

"Why not? You said that last time and you left me and Percy was hurt," Ron said softly, his voice hoarse from disuse. It had been a while since he had talked, maybe 1 month ago; weeks and days had just passed him by as he felt like he had nothing to say anymore.

"I have a bad feeling, get the Professors but don't you dare come after me," George said seriously before he took off at a run out the great hall.

"He's always bossing me around, like I'm a little baby. I can come if I want too," Ron grumbled out but there was no bite in his voice just acceptance, and he quickly silenced once more. He shook his head, the fight leaving him in that moment and his blank look returned.

"He's your older brother, he has that right," Hermione pointed out gently.

"Let's just get Professor Snape," Harry said quickly just on the off chance that they would break into an argument but that was for naught and he sighed. Ron had withdrew into himself again. "Damn it Ron," he hissed out as he looked at Hermione helpless at the turn of events.

"It's a coping mechanism Harry, you know that. He feels safe in there, so he hides," Hermione said softly, putting an arm on her friend's shoulder.

"I don't, wanna talk about this. I need to get Snape and Sirius," Harry said as he jerked away from the girl and ran towards the staff table.

Remus noticed him first, wondering just why Harry was running up to the Head table. Students usually waited until after they ate before talking to their teachers but this could be personal. As Harry had 3 people up here that he counted as his Uncles, himself included he knew it could be any one of them the child wanted.

"Sirius, did you need to talk to Harry?" Severus asked curiously, beating Remus to punch of asking.

"No, I thought you did; Remus, you?" Sirius replied turning to look at the werewolf.

Remus shook his head slowly, turning to look at the child. "Harry, what's going on?"

"Something's wrong with Fred I think. George just ran out here, after he got weird feeling about his twin or something. He said to get a Professor and not to follow him. So I think something bad happen," Harry said worriedly.

"Stay here, we'll go. You and your friends are not to follow," Severus told him firmly as he stood up, and gestured to the men.

"We're not gonna go, Ron went away again anyway," he said sadly.

"Damn it," Sirius muttered unconsciously echoing Harry's words.

"That's the same thing I said," Harry said with a smirk.

"Language Harry, and Sirius," Remus said with a disapproving look before giving his companions a look. "I should probably stay here, make sure that Harry doesn't go anywhere," he said quietly keeping it to himself that Theodore was constantly glancing back and forth at him. He couldn't leave and go with them not unless he wanted the child to freak out.

"It's fine Moony, it shouldn't take long," Sirius said before he and Severus quickly exited out the Great Hall.

"It would be nice to have Harry's little map right about now," Severus said as he did some point me spells as they took off at fast walk.

"Yeah, it's probably in his dorm," Sirius said as they headed up the stairs.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Fred swallowed thickly feeling like his heart had stopped as he looked at the younger boy sadly.  He wanted to turn around and pretend he never saw this but he couldn't do that, this was Draco. His tears fell silently as he got closer to the younger boy before with his shaking hands he untied the rope and gently set the boy down on the ground. He gently closed the unseeingly gray eyes, now he looked asleep but he knew he was anything but.

He visibly shook as the sobs wracked through his body, allowing his head to fall on the boy's chest. He knew he should get help but as he laid his head on Draco's chest he knew already he was gone. With no one there to hear him, he allowed himself to sob in earnest, not caring how loud he was. This was his fault, he had forgotten him, he knew. Why did he do this? Why didn't he let him explain first? He didn't move, even as he heard someone come through the door, he didn't need to look up to see who it was.

"Fred, what happened?" George asked quietly as he took in the scene. "We need to get help,"

"He's dead, there's no help for that," Fred whispered out softly.

"How do you know that?" George asked, but he couldn't see the rising and falling of the boy's chest.  Not to mention he just look much too pale, even more then he usually looked.

"Because I know," Fred replied before sniffling.

"Come here Fred, get away from him," George told him seriously as he reached his hand out for his brother who had gone back to crying on the child's chest. He wanted to hug his brother to comfort him but he couldn't make himself move towards him. He didn't want to touch Draco, not if Fred was right and he was sure he was, he was afraid. 

"I can't, he's been alone all this time. I was supposed to be here. I promised," Fred told him his twin his voice pleading.

"Oh Merlin, Fred," George breathed out but there was nothing he could say to comfort his twin. His own grief was taking over too, this was too much to soon. He turned around suddenly as he heard footsteps down the hall, and he hurried towards the door. "Professors! In here," he called out.

Sirius and Severus ran towards the twin who popped their head out, and honestly they hadn't been prepared to find what they saw. Never did they imagine that they would find one their students dead, and looked like he had been for quite some time. Severus moved first and walked silently into the room, making eye contact with the twin on the floor with his Slytherin.

Looking at him, he didn't know which one it was, but the fact that he was crying over Draco he knew it was probably Fredrick. He had seen them together on more than a few occasions. He bent down and looked at his Slytherin, if he hadn't known any better he would have assumed he was sleeping.  But the rope mark around his neck said otherwise, his eyes flicked across the room to where the rope itself had been thrown. He knew he had to get the other boys out of here and he had to move Draco, to the infirmary before he informed the child's parents.

"Do you think I can go home?" Fred somehow got out, between his sobs.

"Do you want to go home?" Severus asked, knowing the boy did or he wouldn't have asked. As it was, he thought home would be the best place for him right now.

"Yes sir," he said his hand coming to cover his mouth as he gave the boy on the ground a last tearful look. "I'm so sorry Draco," he breathed out before he stumbled to his feet and ran out the room, he didn't look back.

"Follow your twin, and take him to the Headmaster's office.  Tell no one what you have seen, we will be there soon," Sirius said gravely as he spoke to George.

"Yes Professor," he said quietly before he quickly ran after his brother.

Sirius turned to look at Severus who had transfigured a box and had put everything of the boys in it, including the rope. He swallowed thickly as the man flicked his wand at the boy to levitate the boy and found himself going over to the child, standing there for a moment before he settled him in his arms.

"What are you doing Black?" Severus asked roughly, his voice thick with unshed emotion.

"It's wrong, this is wrong," Sirius choked out gesturing for the man to cancel the spell before he walked out of the room. It felt wrong to levitate him; he wouldn't want someone to do that to Harry. This was his youngest cousin, Narcissa's child, Merlin help her.

Severus nodded as they made their silent trek down the hall and down the steps to the infirmary. They were grateful that everyone was still at dinner and didn't run into anyone. He wasn't sure he would be able to keep his composure then. They made it there without incident and he watched as Sirius set the child on the bed, while he moved to get Poppy only to find her coming out of her office.

"What's happened now? I hope it's not a fight, the poor boy doesn't need that," Poppy murmured as she pulled out her wand, her face flickering to Severus, surprised to see the acceptance in it. "What is it?" She breathed out.

"Can you just confirm and find out the time of death?" Severus asked quietly.

Poppy's eyes widened as she turned to the child on the bed, before she gave the man a look of disbelief. She preformed the spell still not fully understanding until the parchment popped up. If he had still been alive nothing would have came of it and her wand faltered for a moment as she struggled to get a grip on her emotions.

"Time of death was between 5:00-5:30pm today," she replied softly, gritting her teeth for a moment before she pulled her emotion's back turning to look back down at the child. She could see the bright red mark around his pale neck and she knew immediately without even scanning for it what had been done. She didn't understand why the child had done this, had his healer hinted at anything of it. Poppy shook her head and turned to look at the Potion's Master questioningly.

"I do not know why it didn't trigger the wards," Severus replied thickly, his own emotions getting the better of him in that moment. The matron's eyes spoke for her rather than her verbally voicing the question.

"Because it wasn't magical, the rope he used wasn't even conjured. It was all muggle, the wards on the castle are still very flawed," Sirius said bitterly from where he had ran his hand through the child's blonde locks.

"It will be fixed, Albus will see to it," Poppy stated firmly.

"Yes he will, but it's too late for Draco," Severus answered sadly his hand reaching out to catch the chair as his legs tried to buckle. He knew he surprised his companions when their gazes turned to him worriedly, but he couldn't care at this point.

"Are you alright Severus?" Poppy asked softly.

"No I am not, none of this is alright. How in the hell did this slip through my fingers?" He hissed out as he shook his head as his barriers tried to come down without his consent. Now was not the time for him to grieve, things needed to be taken care. He didn't stay for their answers, feeling completely numb. They could have called out for him but he didn't hear it, he only had one mission in mind and that was getting to his quarters. How could he call himself the Slytherin head if he kept failing his students when they needed him the most?

 

The End.
End Notes:
What did you guys think?
Chapter 18: Sometimes Time Doesn't Heal All Wounds by Severus Draconis Potter
Author's Notes:
I'm sorry about the legit grief from last chapter, but it had a reason for it being here. Not alot of Harry and Sev bonding thats next chapter. This story is winding on down, and I thank you guys for coming along on this bumpy ride.

Severus turned back to look at the child before he rushed out of the infirmary. He intended to go straight to his quarters but his feet led him back up the stairs and to the classroom they had found Draco in. He wanted to make sure this room was off limits, not that he figured any student would come up here.

 He sighed as he walked inside the classroom and looked around, noticing for the first time a notebook on the floor. He recognized the bindings on it, knowing that it was Draco's. He slipped in his robe pocket before he gave it one last look before he spelled the room locked, so that only he could unlock it. Taking another breath his face carefully blank he stalked down the corridors to his quarters.

Severus only allowed his body to relax once the door had closed and he gave a sad sigh. His hand running through his hair silently; he had failed yet another child. How many more would slip through the cracks? He had been grieving as well as everyone else not to mention making sure all the children were okay. But how had he not seen Draco? How in Merlin did he not notice the boy declining? And now it was too late, all he had left was the boy's journal, maybe it would explain why. Why did the boy do this? He took a breath before he opened up the book and started reading.

Draco's Journal Entries.

Journal Entry #1 First Day Back:

I don't know why I decided to do this, but it seemed like the lesser of two evils. Hogwarts is back in session after 2 months of being closed. I didn't want to come back but mum said I had to finish my schooling. I wish I could transfer. Being back here the memories are threatening to overwhelm me. The headmaster says that everyone here is in need of some type of counseling after our ordeal and at least once a week all the students are required to see a mind healer. However if you are uncomfortable with that, we were told that we could use a journal for now and visit the healer at a later date. As you can see I opted to use this method. I don't know how I'm supposed to feel. I'm putting you away for now, dinner is about to be served.

Entry#2 Week 1-Tuesday

Theo had a panic attack last night, after walking into the Slytherin Common room, and pointing out that he was standing on the spot that Greg had died. It was horrifying to see, and I was at a loss at what to do. I stared along with everyone in the common room until Professors Snape and Lupin rushed in. I was surprised that Theo ran straight into the Gryffindor's arm and they disappeared out the common room. It was really weird, and I've tried to ignore the fact that 2 beds in our dorm room are empty. I can't think about that, I'm done for today.

Entry #3 Week 2-Monday

Everyone is more or less walking around like zombies the majority of the time. In the Great Hall, when everyone is there for lunch or dinner, it's silent. Almost like everyone is afraid to smile, like how can we smile when some of their friend's can't because they're no longer alive? I found myself looking over at the Gryffindor table today and I saw that they were minus a Weasely still, and I wonder when the Head boy will be back.

Speaking of which, what are they going to do about the head girl Position? I had found out she had died saving Thomas during that fateful day. It was weird to see him without the Irish boy. It's weird seeing a lot of people without their friends, knowing what happened. The Gryffindor Trio seems to be the only one unaffected. Well maybe that's not true, Weasely...uh Ron that is, isn't so bad if I can admit that. He doesn't talk at all anymore, but I do find him looking at me every so often. The first time we made eye contact, I sneered at him out of habit and his eyes turned from their blank state to a look of disbelief. But before I could blink the blank look was back. What did this mean? I miss my rival, I don't think I hate him anymore, I don't think I hate anyone anymore.

 

Entry #4 Week 3

I saw Fred the other day, and I had to pinch myself to stop from rushing over to him. I hadn't forgotten how he had treated me in the Headmaster's office. How he left me? Like I wasn't worth the comfort, and he was right I had my own family. I would give anything to have the love that he has in his big family. They aren't afraid of giving hugs, the only hugs I receive are from my mum and only when my father isn't there to witness it.

He doesn't care about me; I'm only the heir to the Malfoy house, some days I wish I hadn't been born a pureblood. I would give all of that up, just to get the love that the Weasleys had. I can't believe that I had taunted them about that? How stupid could I be? I was jealous, still am actually. I wish that was my family, I wish I was loved like that. I should stop this train of thought, I'm old enough to know that wishes don't come true, especially mine.

I've noticed that everyone who had stayed behind that day seems to suffer from something, well except Blaise. I think he's used to death, given that the fact that his mother is the Notorious Black Widow. All of her husband's mysteriously ended up dead, that's a bit creepy if you ask me. Everyone knows she did it, they just have no proof. Oh yeah another thing, I think something is wrong with Weasely, Ron that is. Besides the fact that he doesn't talk, he doesn't really eat or do much of anything anymore it. It's like all the life in him is gone, it's weird. Everyone's changed, some of us not for the better.

Entry #5 Week 4

Why doesn't anyone notice? My mask can't be that good, is no one looking at me? Why can't they see me?? I walked out class today, and bumped into Longbottom. He's changed; he's different then before the incident. I can see the air of confidence he has gotten, and goes around regardless of your house to see if you are alright.  When we bumped into each other, he apologized without stuttering. I had to look away, because his eyes felt like they were looking right through me. I wish he would've noticed me but at the same time and I was scared too. Why can't I be normal? Why did I live and they didn't? Why did I come up with that stupid plan? Why me? I don't deserve this; I don't deserve to be alive.

Entry #6 Week 5

Sorry about that depressing entry up above, my emotions got the better of me last week. They're getting harder to control, and last week it was especially bad because someone had came up with the idea to put up a memorial in front of Hogwarts for the students and friends we all lost. I think it's a good idea; it just threw me for a loop I guess.

I was surprised and I didn't like it. I saw Harry the other day, he's gotten quiet too, he often has this thoughtful expression on his face and Snape is still different when he's with him. Actually the man is different in general, he no longer barks at us in class. He's still strict but he's not cruel anymore, it's like he knows that everyone is fragile and just barely hanging on. Oh yeah, another thing happened today, Pansy transferred schools, she goes to Beaubaxtons now. She said she couldn't be here anymore, I find myself strangely missing her because she was still one of my friends even if she tended to cling to me. I wish I could switch schools too.

Entry #6 Week 6

Sirius Black was declared innocent, they showed it in the paper. I could still hear the Gryffindor cheers about that. Strangely though, Harry didn't look as happy as he should have, given the fact that everyone knows that's his godfather. I've taken to hiding in an abandoned classroom as I don't wish to be found. More and more people are deciding to take an interest in me.

Just the other day I was approached by Longbottom again, and then the Headmaster of all people, what's his agenda? He must want something, he didn't want me to go home and see my mum on the horrific day. Just because it doesn't seem like I cry, it's a problem. I cried my share of tears; when I had to go to back to back funerals for all my friends. I will cry no more. Why waste those tears? I don't deserve to feel better, I did this and I will suffer since they are no longer alive. Greg and Vince, I'm so sorry.

Entry #7 Week 7- Monday

Fred followed me around today, I don't understand the boy at all. I ran to get away from him, and I thought I lost him when he reappeared from a blank wall? He cornered me and pulled me into a hug in the middle of the corridor after lunch. No one said anything no teasing, no curses, nothing, but I know they all saw us. I didn't understand it at the time, and if I'm being honest I still don't.

I felt safe, almost like I had like big brother who cared for me, but then when he pulled away I saw his hair and remembered that he wasn't mine to keep. He says no one else can see, but he can, and he thinks I'm spiraling out of control. I'm in control, I know I am. Why would he say that? I know I'm in control, I'm alive when they aren't, and how does one come back from that? How do I deal with this intense pain on the inside, my heart feels broken, how do I fix it? Do I want too?

Entry #8 Week 7- Wednesday

Bloody Weasely, he cornered me again today as if the other day wasn't enough. But I found myself not pulling away again; I think I might even cherish the hugs. Is that so wrong that I'm starting to look forward to the next one? He notices me when no one else does. He told me I was depressed and that he had to keep an eye on me to stop me from doing something stupid. I was so pissed at that, how dare he? What gave him the right?

I was so angry with him, and I wanted to punch him, and he told me I could. That shocked me the most, why would he say that? I thought it was a trick so I didn't hit him, and he hugged me again. His hugs remind of my mum's, and they make me want to cry. He said crying is the first stepped to healing. I want to heal, but I don't think it's fair. I should suffer right? I'm doubting myself, he's making me doubt myself but a part of me, knows that he's right.

Entry #9 Week 7- Friday

Wow, 3 entries in one week, I feel kind of proud, it's Fred's fault, and Harry's. The Gryffindor golden boy tagged along and I found myself getting a hug from him too. Interesting enough he does not like being called Potter, and I'm not about to anger my head of house by picking a fight with him over that. Matter fact, I don't have the will anymore to fight over stupid things.

I think some things are starting to get back to normal for most people, but not those who were heavily affected by this tragedy. Theo hasn't been staying in the dorms, I found out that he's staying with Professor Lupin, I thought that was against the rules. Apparently his Dad made the man his godfather, I still can't believe it.  That is a shock to me, given who the Notts were, but I guess people can change. And besides Theo's last Godfather was killed in the first war, so this could be good for him.

Entry #10 Week 8-Tuesday

Percy Weasely was here today, in a wheelchair, I almost didn't recognize him. He looked nothing like the pompous boy from 2 months ago. He had no legs, and his face was drawn and he looked so pale and fragile and sick. It seemed like there was no life in him at first, and when I saw it took my breath away. I found myself yet again in the corridor hugging tightly to Fred, this time though I think I was comforting him, I can't be sure though. When we left I apparently left my book, as the next thing I know Fred was waltzing into the Slytherin Common room to give it back to me. Why would he do that? And furthermore, how did he even know the password?

Entry #11 Week 8- Friday

The nerve of that old man! The headmaster really is barmy he tried to make me see a healer even though I chose the journal method. And then he wanted me to show them what I wrote. No chance in hell, this is private. That stupid healer said he didn't need to see what I wrote, since it was written all over my face. He says I suffer from Survivors guilt. What the hell? I realize that he might be right; I'm guilty of being alive when I know I should be dead. Greg and Vince would be here still if I hadn't of suggested that we hide in the trunk. I'm so stupid...so stupid.

Entry #12 Week 9

I don't want to write this week, my heart hurts. Sometimes I really do hate my father.

Entry #13 Week 10

I don't want to be here anymore, I can't be who they want me to be. Father thinks I should suck it up and that I should be pass all of this. I'm only 13, I'm not perfect and I'm not fixed. I'm broken, and he hates me for it. I think he hates me in general, I hate myself too. Why can't he hug me? Why can't he love me for me? Does he even love me?

Entry #14 Week 11

I've been avoiding Fred, since my father visited Hogwarts; I never realized just how cruel my father was. Doesn't he think how his words affect people? What have I done to him? I don't want to think about it. I'm hiding in alcove at the moment, as Fred has access to the Slytherin common room and I'm hiding from him. I don't want to get that knowing look; it's like he knows me better than I do myself at times. I don't understand. Crap, he found me; I'm done for today anyway.

Entry #15 Week 12

I've only just noticed that when I see Fred he's without his twin, I asked him about that one day and he pointed out that George was with Ron. I knew something was wrong with Weasely otherwise why would he need a minder? It's gotta be serious but I had to think about it as well. Are we really that similar? I don't know what happened today, one minute I was fine and eating dinner at the Slytherin table and then the next thing I know dessert popped up, and someone elbowed me trying to get a treacle tart.

I thought it was Greg or Vincent as they used to do that, and I turned around and was like; "Greg watch it, it's not going to run away," only to find it was Blaize and he was staring at me with a sad look and suddenly I couldn't breathe. I got up and ran out the Great Hall, only to hear feet behind me. I was pulling my wand out to curse whoever it was when I felt someone engulf me into a hug, and tell me to stop running.

I think he meant more than just at that moment, I couldn't be sure, but I didn't fight him. Why would I fight the only other person to give me comfort? I found myself crying into his torso for the first time, and I didn't care that we were in the middle of the hallway. I wasn't alone. Fred was there, he's always there.

Entry #16 Week 13

I didn't feel like getting out of bed today, I don't feel like writing and I didn't feel going to class today so I didn't. I spent the day in the abandoned classroom that I found; my thoughts have been a bit darker today. I can't control them, I don't understand why. Some days I can forget, and other days like now, I cannot. I wish I couldn't think anymore. I can't write anymore today, my thoughts are getting more and darker and in turn dangerous. I'm scared.

Entry #17 Week 14

I haven't seen Fred in over two weeks, It feels like my heart is cracking on the inside and I find myself searching everywhere for him. I feel like I'm on the outside looking in, I don't even fit in my group of friends anymore. How can I, when two of them are dead and one of them switched schools? Where is he? With him not here, I don't feel like smiling anymore, what's the point right?

 Entry #18 Week 15- Sunday

So I found out that the whole Weasely clan had been pulled out of school as Percy had been going through some type of depression, and he needed the support of all his family. Fred's back though and the first thing he did was come to me.  This is the happiest I've felt in two weeks, which is saying something.

It's a good thing no one can see behind the Malfoy Mask, as they wouldn't have known what to do with me these past few weeks. At Breakfast today Fred told me that he wanted to talk to me, in private and that it was important. I wonder what it is. Surprisingly I find myself excited, is it strange that excitement feels like a foreign emotion to me right now? I can't wait until Wednesday.

 Entry #19 Week 15- Wednesday 12:03pm

I wonder where Fred is, he said to meet just outside the library at lunch time. Oh well, I can write while I'm waiting patiently, he can be late it's no big deal. Maybe he just ate, or is with his twin or something.

20 minutes have passed and I'm still here, he's still not here, is he not gonna come? Was this all just some joke, I'll wait a little bit longer something probably did come up. He would never stand me up I know he wouldn't, would he?

Entry #20 Week 15- Wednesday 1:00pm

I finally moved from in front of the library, I didn't like the sympathetic look Madam Pince was giving me. Which was odd in itself as she never cares about anything but her books. Fred didn't show up, and you know what I don't care. Who cares about him, I don't know. I was so stupid; I knew I should not have trusted him. Everyone always hurts you in the end. I hate him, I hate him so much. Damn it, stupid tears, messing up the bloody ink, argh!  I don't hate him, not really. Maybe he just forgot about me, it happens right? But I needed to talk to him, I got a letter from Father today and I wanted to discuss it with him. What do I do?

Entry #21 Week 15- Thursday 3:00pm

I skipped class again today, it can't make myself care. I didn't eat breakfast in the Great hall, I didn't want to see Fred and I didn't sleep in my dorm. I just want to go away forever. No one would notice, not really. The pain is too much for me to handle, its suffocating me. I can't do this anymore, and I don't want too. Who would want to live this way?  Why would you want to willingly put yourself though this much agony?

Since no one is looking for me, I'll end it now.  I tried so hard to be better, but I'll never be good enough for anyone. My father won't stop seeing a failure and everyone else won't stop seeing my father in me. I'm Draco, not Lucius, and I'll never be like him. Fred saw, and Harry saw, and for them I'm sorry, but I have to do this.

Entry #22 Week 15-Thursday 5:00pm

This will be my last entry; I don't know what to write, or what to say.  At the moment I'm currently sitting here in the classroom with some rope on the floor in front of me that I had found. It was weird as I was coming to the abandoned classroom I found some secret room and it had a bunch of rope in it. I couldn't stop myself from grabbing one, but when I had it in my hand I felt alright. I feel so helpless, but now isn't the time to talk about that. I need to shed some light on a few things. I just want Fred to know this was in no way his fault. And that I'm sorry, I'm sorry I wasn't strong enough to keep fighting.

I'm not a Gryffindor, never will be one, and so I can't be brave. I'm so scared right now; I'm wishing that someone, anyone would burst through the door and find me.  But I know they won't, because I have no one. So I'm ridding this world of me, they're will be one less Malfoy to fuck up everything. A 13 year old coward, whose father is ashamed of him, where would I have fit in anyway? Where I'm going none of that matters, and who knows. Maybe I'll get to see Greg and Vince too? And Finnegan, I'll tell him that Thomas really misses him.

 I wonder if anyone will miss me. Probably not, how could they miss me when I was already gone? They didn't notice me then, so they won't notice now. Mum, I love you more than anything in the world and I'm sorry for leaving you with father but I can't do it anymore. Don't blame yourself; it's not your fault either. I just wish I was strong enough.

 Severus said nothing as he put the journal down, reining in his emotions. He was grateful that he was alone at the moment, as Harry would no doubt be worried if he could see him right now. It was all he could do not break down and sob right there. The things the child had been feeling, he prided himself on knowing his snakes. How hadn't he known?

He got up and paced his quarters for a moment knowing it was his job to inform the boy's parents. Merlin, Narcissa was going to be so heartbroken. He gritted his teeth, but he needed her to know first before Albus told the children tomorrow and they were owling their parents. He nodded to himself before he went over to the fireplace and tossed some floo in, waiting until it flared green before he stuck his head in.

"Lucius," he said in a greeting as he saw the man in his study.

"Severus, to what do I owe this pleasure?" The blonde hair man asked curiously, wondering if he had missed a meeting of some sort.

"I need to speak to you and Narcissa as soon as possible, something's happened at Hogwarts," Severus told him quietly.

"Floo over Severus, I'll get her," Lucius said as a feeling of dread settled in the pit of his stomach.

Severus nodded and pulled his head out the fireplace before he flooed to the Malfoy study. He knew his old friend was as cruel as they come, and ruthless as much as he could be. But at the same time, underneath all of that Lucius did love his son. He just didn't show it, given how he himself was raised. He knew the man would take the news hard, about Draco's death what father wouldn't? He could really use a drink that was for sure, but he waited silently until both Malfoy's appeared.

"Severus? What is it? What's happened? Is it Draco?" Narcissa asked worriedly as she made her way to her friend.

"Yes, we should sit down," he said guiding her to the sofa. The last thing he wanted was the poor woman to pass out from the news. He kept his face emotionless, not allowing the grief to rip him apart. They deserved to know the whole story, and not just 'Draco's dead'. Contrary to popular belief he did know a bit about tact.

"Now what is it? What happened with Draco?" She pressed grabbing the man's hands tightly in hers.

"About an hour ago, one of the students made a grisly discovery in an abandoned classroom on the 8th floor," he started out.

"What did they find?" Lucius asked quietly.

"Another student's body, they had hung themselves," he said gently, feeling the grip on his hand tightened but he made no reaction at the pain it caused.

"Draco made the discovery?" Narcissa asked hopefully even though her eyes filled with tears as she knew in her heart that he was the child in the classroom.

"No, that was Fred Weasely," Severus told her knowing she would know the significance of that. He knew Draco wrote his mother every week.

"Oh my Merlin," she breathed out her hand coming to grasp at her heart as she bent her head and silently cried.

"So you're telling me that today my son killed himself?" Lucius spat out angrily, trying hard to suppress the grief that he felt building up in him.

"Yes Lucius," he replied gently his eyes hard as they bore into the mans.

"I can't be here, I need to go make the arrangements then," he hissed out as walked with his cane towards the door.

"Lucius, how can you just stand there and pretend you don't care? Our son is dead," Narcissa cried out.

"You don't think I know that!" He growled out as he made his way to the doorway, leaning heavily on his cane for once as he disappeared down the hall.

"I will be right back Narcissa," Severus told her kindly as he snapped his fingers for a house elf to watch her before he quickly followed Lucius who he could see was making his way up the stairs. He had a hunch to where he thought the man was going and he was proven right when he saw him go into Draco's room.

Severus stood in the doorway as the man himself stopped in the middle of the room. He was all set to call out to the blonde man when he heard it. It was soft sob, and he knew he wasn't meant to hear it but at the same time he couldn't leave his friend alone.

"Lucius," he breathed out softly.

"Leave me Severus," Lucius whispered out, trying to get control of his grief.

"No, not at this moment. I'm not going anywhere," Severus told him firmly.

"Narcissa shouldn't be alone," Lucius pointed out quietly.

"Neither should you," was the man's reply.

"My son died today," he breathed out tearfully, ignoring the turn of the conversation. Saying it out loud made it real, and he didn't like it.

"I know," he replied gently as he made his way to the man. "It's going to be fine,"

 "How do you even know that? My son is dead, and you know what else? What hurts the most? I don't even think he knew I loved him," he admitted brokenly as he allowed his grief to overtake his self control.

Lucius cried hard in earnest, finding himself pulled into his friend's chest. It had a been a while since he had been comforted like this, but he found himself gaining no such comfort, because in the end, Draco was still dead and it was all his fault.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

The next morning came much too soon for Severus, he had spent the majority of the night drinking with Lucius. In his grief and his drunkenness, Lucius had some loose lips so to speak. He had learned quite a lot but he would be keeping those things to himself for the time being. At the moment, they had others things to do. Lucius was planning to start the arrangements and he knew that at breakfast today the children would all be informed.

He knew immediately that they were going to be having a quick staff meeting and he got dressed and drank a Pepper Up potion before he made his way to the staff room. He said nothing as he walked inside the room, ignoring the curious glances from the other Professor's they would know in a little bit anyway. Severus took a seat heavily, making sure his masks were in check.

He needed to hold it in together; Merlin knew someone had to be strong for the children. Thankfully Albus arrived a few moments after him, and he noted the old man's eyes were devoid of it's trademark twinkle. Severus wasn't the only one to catch sight of that, and the chatter that had been in the staff room quickly ceased as they turned to the Headmaster.

It was Minerva who seemed to voice the question that those not in the know wanted to know. "Albus, what has happened?" She asked softly.

"Last night a student took their own life," Albus started off quietly, as there was no need to raise his voice, the room was so quiet one could hear a pin drop.

"Who?" The Gryffindor Head of House breathed out softly. She cared for all of her students and she knew whoever it was that their Head of House would be feeling the most pain. She wanted to be there for her fellow witch or wizard.

"A Slytherin, I'm sure you are all aware of one Draco Malfoy?" Albus replied, he wasn't beating around the bush. There was no need, he knew in only an hour or so he would need to give this exact same speech to the students. And he really wasn't looking forward to this.

Severus curled his hands into fists as he felt everyone turn their heads seemingly as one in his direction. He didn't need to look at their pitying expressions. He didn't want to show his guilt at how he had failed yet another person. How on earth did he think that he would be here for Harry if students kept dying on his watch?

"How did the lad do it? There are protections over Hogwarts for just that thing," Flitwick pointed out in surprise.

"He used a muggle way, regrettably there was no magic to alert us of any ill intent and so we had no idea. He was found by a fellow student and until further notice Fred Weasely will not be attending Hogwarts," he added.

 

"Mr. Weasely found him?" Minerva gasped out, as she slumped in her seat in defeat. Couldn't the Weasely family just catch a small break for once?

"Indeed, it was his twin who alerted both Severus and Sirius of that fact," Albus answered softly.

"I need to speak with the Minister but we will break the news to the students at breakfast. I'm not sure how they will all take this recent tragedy on top of everything else," he admitted.

Severus swallowed thickly sensing the meeting nearly at it's end. He wouldn't stay until the very end, not wanting to be bombarding with questions. He was still beating himself up about it. How in the hell hadn't he seen? He gasped out suddenly as wave of grief tried to overtake him yet again.

"Severus?" Minerva called out worriedly as she looked at her younger colleague in alarm.

"I'm alright," he lied softly as he stood up and hurried out of the room. He could not afford to be weak at this time; his students would be counting on him to be strong for them when they could not be.

Albus watched his potion's Master go, his heart breaking for the man and for his fallen student. He was supposed to be all knowing, how hadn't he known about this?

~&~&~&~&~&~&~&~&~&~&~&

Harry woke up the next morning with a sense of dread in his heart. Ron and he had waited for George to come back with Fred but they hadn't appeared. And when he had asked the twins year mates the boys had told them that they hadn't returned to the dorms to sleep. He was starting to feel worried; he hoped nothing bad had happened to them.

 He turned to look towards Ron who was methodically grabbing his book bag. He wanted to hurry up and make it to the Great Hall so he could see the twins. If they had pulled a prank he knew that they would want to be there to see it and so he could talk to them then.

When they entered the Great Hall, Harry noted in disappointment that the red headed twins weren't there, and when he looked up at the staff table he saw that Sirius wasn't there either. His gaze immediately fell on the Potion's Master's face and he frowned once he caught a look on the man's face.

His Professor's eyes looked like he had looked when the lava had hit Hogwarts. He gulped softly leaving Ron at the table before he hurried over to the staff table. He needed to know what was wrong, or his swore his heart was going to come out of his chest from the stress.

"Professor what's the matter? Where's Sirius?" Harry asked softly once he was at the man.

"He had a family emergency," Severus replied softly.

"I thought he didn't have that much family anymore?" Harry asked skeptically.

"Harry just go wait with your house," Severus told him gently.

"I don't want to wait with them, I wanna know what's wrong with you," Harry replied frowning as he looked at the man.

"The Headmaster will enlighten the students of the situation momentarily," Severus said as he took a quiet sip of his tea. His thoughts were trying to get the better of them and he turned to look at the Slytherin table in dismay. The halls had filled up and he knew it was only a moment before Albus would break the news. Unable to help himself he reached for the child in front of him and set him on his lap.

"Professor," Harry whispered out softly, as he suddenly got very afraid in that moment. Something serious was wrong especially if the man was willingly holding him. He grabbed the man's hand tight in his and shut his eyes. He was positive he didn't want to hear whatever this news might be.

Severus was surprised when the breakfast dishes appeared and he looked at his mentor questioningly unsure of why the man was prolonging it. That would make it worst in the end, he sighed before he set Harry in Sirius's empty chair next to him. He knew that the man had gone to the Malfoy's despite the way he felt about Lucius.

The man was there for Narcissa and he couldn't fault Black for that. He ignored the emerald gaze of the child next to him; he couldn't break the news to Harry. He knew that the child in question had been befriending his Slytherin and this made it all the more harder.  Finally he could see that the children were finishing up and he slid his plate away, pulling his arm around the child and bringing him closer to him.

"Are we gonna find out the news now?" Harry asked softly as he leaned against the man once more.

"Yes," Severus murmured out quietly in return.

Albus stood up once the last of the breakfast dishes had cleared, clearing his throat and gaining the attention of the students. He didn't want to do this, but it needed to be done. He only hoped that no more children would slip through the cracks.

"May I have your attention please?" He called out, noting that the hall went silent only a moment or two after he spoken. He shook his head sadly as he looked at them, knowing they had gained a sense of normalcy these past two months that were just about to get shattered yet again. But there was nothing he could do for that.

"I have some bad news to tell you. It is with a heavy heart that I inform you that one of your peers died last night," he stated as delicately as possible, even as the whispers started. He could see them turning around frantically trying to see who wasn't there and he shook his head again.

"Draco Malfoy died last night after hanging himself, and by the time anyone had found him it was too late to do anything. He was gone, and I know this comes as a shock to you all given what we've already suffered. But I tell you now if the urge to hurt yourself ever comes up tell someone. We want to help you. We couldn't help Draco and I will regret that for the rest of my life but we can help you," he stated gently.

Harry was staring wide eyed as he turned to stare at the Slytherin table to make sure the old man wasn't lying. He didn't see the blonde teen and his heart fell into his stomach, and he felt sick. He was up on his feet before he could think, craning his neck around the Great Hall in denial. This had to be one sick joke right? He had only just seen the blonde teen yesterday, surely this was all some kind of mistake.

"Draco!" He called out, his voice silencing the Great hall in an instant. He was too distraught to be embarrassed at that fact.

 

"Harry, he's not...Draco's not here," Severus stated gently as he too scooted his chair out. He wasn't sure what his charge was going to do, but before anyone Harry came first and he was going to help him.

Harry shook his head hard for a moment feeling like he rattled his brains but he didn't care. He shuffled away from the staff table, ignoring the way everyone's eyes were on him. This wasn't knew he was used to everyone looking at him every which way. He swallowed thickly as he pushed past his guardian before he took off and for the Great Hall doors, he couldn't be in here. How did he not see that all wasn't fine with his friend? Had he really been so caught up in himself that he didn't notice anything?

Severus swore when Harry took off at a run, he should have been expecting that. He stood up quickly; turning to the wolf for a moment who he saw was getting up and heading to the Slytherin table. He knew the man was going to comfort his godson and Severus needed the man to do a favor for him while he went to take care of something with his ward. He wouldn't allow Harry to get the thought that this was somehow his fault into that little head of his. He would not fail that child anymore he had made a promise.

"Lupin watch my Slytherins for a moment, I need to find Harry," Severus told him before he hurried out of the great hall and went to find his wayward charge. He didn't hear the man's reply knowing that one of the staff would assist his snakes when he couldn't. He just needed to find his Gryffindor child before the boy ended up doing something stupid.

Harry had to remember that now he had family looking out for him and they would be there for him in this time of turmoil. And as Severus pushed his emotions behinds his barriers yet again he knew then that he needed Harry just as much as the child needed him.

The End.
End Notes:
I wanted to show that the Malfoy's were human too like in the last book. I've always liked Narcissa because of the love of her son. And so It's not a happy chapter, but I hope it was enjoyed somewhat nonetheless.
Chapter 19: Mourning and Set Backs by Severus Draconis Potter
Author's Notes:
So I was on the site Gringotts Bank for the conversion rate and it stated that 1 Galleon is £3.01 or $4.81. So with that in mind, it said that

25,000 Galleons 0 Sickles 0 Knuts = £75,336.18 or$120,243.90

So keep that in mind here.

Someone said they were interested in seeing about what happened with Percy, and Neville so here it is.

Harry tore through the doors of the great Hall, immediately heading to the dungeons. This just had to be a joke; he had just seen Draco yesterday. He gulped tearfully as he neared the Slytherin Common Room venturing off to the left where Draco often hid in a secret alcove. He stopped once he got close enough to it to see that no one was there and he swallowed the lump that had appeared yet again in his throat.

He could hear footsteps coming down the corridor but he wasn't afraid, he knew whoever it was, wasn't going to hurt him. Maybe like him they wanted to make sure that Draco wasn't hiding, since the blonde Slytherin often did that when he needed to be alone. Harry pressed the heels of his hands to his eyes as the tears threatened to come out.

Just because Draco wasn't here didn't mean the Headmaster's words were truth? Maybe the other boy went home or something that could happen right? He sniffled softly before he lifted himself up to the alcove, pulling his knees up to his chest and resting his chin on them.  He stared blankly out the window the sun coming up over the lake as he tried to make sense of this. How had this happened? Harry didn't notice when the footsteps stopped nor when the tears finally made their silent decent down his face.

This was the scene in which Severus came upon as he finally made his way to Harry. He had been worried for a moment that the child had used a secret passageway but just found the child had veered off into another corridor. He could only assume this is where Draco often went as Harry didn't have a reason to venture this far in the dungeons. Not to mention just how close this was to the Slytherin common room.

There was time for questions later, for now he needed to get Harry close and to make sure that he was handling it well. The problem was Severus didn't know what to say to get the child to move. Unlike when it was the lava it wasn't going to be okay, Draco wasn't coming back.

"Harry, can you tell me what's going on in your mind?" Severus asked gently.

Harry didn't even so much as twitch when his guardian spoke, he didn't feel like talking so much at the moment. He kind of just wanted to stay here and never move, that would be great. If he could stop thinking as well that would be even better.

Severus sighed as he conjured up a chair and took a seat. "I'm not going anywhere Harry, as soon as you're ready to talk I will be right here," he promised the child.

Harry sighed softly, the tears stinging his eyes as he opened his mouth to speak but nothing came out. He couldn't speak right now and he currently felt that if he did he would just break uncontrollably into tears, and he needed to keep composure somewhat. This wasn't the first death he had dealt with; he hadn't even truly known Draco that long. It was the fact that he had gotten to know the other boy personally, they both went through the same things and lived through it.

Other than Ron, Harry had no one else who knew how it felt to wait in the Headmaster's office unsure if kids you knew were going to live or die. It had an impact on the already fragile child, especially considering what he had already been dealing with. With that thought it made Harry want to speak to tell Severus he could go attend to his snakes but Harry didn't want to be alone. He needed this, even if he couldn't say anything at the moment.

"Harry, I know how you're feeling but do not retreat inside yourself right now. I need you to talk to me; I need you to stay here with me. I know it probably feels better to stay within yourself but it's not healthy. I don't want you to develop that coping mechanism. I know you feel like you can't handle this, but I know you can. Draco died, but this was in no way your fault, he was just very sad and no one saw. I don't want that to happen to you," Severus stated firmly, he had to fight to keep his tone as calm as he made it. He didn't want to lose Harry or anymore of his snakes.

"I don't wanna talk," Harry replied hoarsely, he could swear tears were running down his throat as well.

"I know, I'm not going to ask how you feel as I can see it etched on your face plain as day," Severus told him kindly wanting to reach out and grab the child.

"I'm not going to class today," Harry sighed softly, ignoring the tears completely as he continued to gaze out of the window.

"That's alright, I think Albus was planning on canceling them anyway," Severus responded in turn.

Harry sniffled softly before he buried his head into his arms a moment later. "Why did it have to be Draco?" He asked brokenly. He didn't want it to be anyone but why had the blonde Slytherin been the one to suffer like this so.

"I don't know Harry," Severus whispered out quietly. He didn't think he would ever forgive himself, this was just like before. How hadn't he noticed it?

"I can't do this anymore, who wants to live in a place where all your friends die? Who's going to be next, Ron? I don't wanna be the boy-who-lived anymore, I wanna die too," Harry bit out bitterly.

Severus's heart broke at that and he reached a hand out to firmly squeeze the small shoulder of the child. "Never say that! Do you hear me? You do not wish for death Harry Potter. Life is precious and I will not allow you to waste your Parent's sacrifice," the potion master spat out harshly. He knew he should be a bit softer but he couldn't stand the thought of the child suddenly not being here, who would he survive for then?

Harry gasped softly, though not from the pain of the man's touch, but from his words. He poked his head up his emerald eyes shining from his tears as he looked at the man angrily. He was so angry with him, at himself and at Draco. How could Draco do this? Didn't he know that Harry would always be there for him? Didn't he think about what Fred would do? Wasn't he his friend? Did the other boy not care enough for him?

"I hate him," he whispered out tearfully even though he knew he didn't really mean it. He just felt so helpless.

Severus leaned over to the grab the boy from the window still then and held him tightly against his chest. "No, don't blame Draco for his choice, it wasn't the right one but the only one he felt he had. If anything I am the one at fault," he told the child softly as tried to comfort the child.

"Why would he do this?" Harry wanted to know as he tried to stop the stupid tears.

"I do not know, and I fear I will never know," Severus muttered out quietly.

~&~&~&Great Hall~&~&~&~

Remus made his way down to the Slytherin table once Severus had gone after Harry. He hoped that his cub would be alright, and he wished he could go after him but he had another problem. He knew that his godson Theo, had been close to Draco and this was going to hit him hard.

 He could see as he came towards the table, that the boy was pressing his arms tightly over his abdomen as if that would somehow keep the all the hurt inside. He knew nothing would stop this pain, but time but that was a long time coming for now. He sighed softly, feeling for the child the pain of loss was something that he wished he could spare the child.

"Theo, come here buddy," he requested kindly, ignoring the looks from the other Slytherins.

They had to be used to this now, Severus had informed the Slytherins just who he was to the child. Some of the Slytherins still seemed to be in a state of disbelief like they couldn't believe that a Gryffindor could care for a Slytherin. They didn't understand that Houses meant nothing in the real world. After Hogwarts, it's the people that meant the most, which is why he felt so awful regarding how he had allowed his friends to treat Severus. He shook the thoughts away, he didn't want to go there today, he had a child to help.

Theodore obediently got up off the bench and headed towards his guardian. It was keeping everything in him not to start full blown crying right there. Unlike Harry who had called out Draco's name and had been crying he couldn't do that. He didn't want to lose any respect from his peers. He pinched his side harder from where his arms were in a bit of a self-hug. If they could just get beyond the Great hall, he felt that it would be okay if he cried. Why had he been so full of himself?

 He could have helped Draco somehow, how was he supposed to deal with this on top of everything else? His friend was dead. The Slytherin found himself choking on a sob at the thought, the pain shooting through his chest as the onslaught of emotion. He gulped tearfully, not even protesting when he felt Remus's strong arms pick him up and settle him in the man's arms. He knew he was too big to do this, but he couldn't help it. The grief just ripped out of him, and he could no longer fight his emotions. He turned his face into his godfather's shoulders and cried, his body shaking from the force of the sobs.

Remus swallowed thickly, his hold tightening on the child as he turned back to look at the Staff table. Severus had told him to watch his Slytherins, but he couldn't do that right now. He knew the children wanted to be in their Common Room where they could grieve in peace but his godson was coming undone at the seams and he wanted him back in their quarters before a full blown anxiety attack appeared. He rubbed the child's back absently as he caught the Headmaster's eye.

"Albus could you assist the Slytherins? I need to take him back to our quarters," Remus asked the man tightly. He could only just keep his own emotions in check. The child's grief was thick rightly so, and he wanted to comfort him. He couldn't do that here.

"Of course Remus, I will be by later to speak with you," Albus replied softly, the twinkle that would normally be in his eye nonexistent. He swallowed heavily before he turned to face his Deputy who he could see was wiping her eyes. "Minerva, after you have spoken with your Gryffindors, it is very important that you come see me right away," he stated cryptically.

Minerva sniffled as she turned to look at the old man worriedly. She couldn't take any worse news; she didn't think any of them could. "Is there someone else?"

Albus sighed softly before shaking his head. "Fred and George Weasley found Draco Malfoy's body last night, I do not think the former will be the same as I'm aware they were quite close. No matter I have something urgent to discuss with you," he added.

Minerva placed a hand over her heart in her shock before the hurt settled in. She didn't know what to think at this point. She sniffled softly before standing up and headed to attend to her lions. She smiled to herself as she saw Remus carrying Theodore out of the hall, if only Draco had of had someone like that. If he had, would he still be here?

~&~&~&~The Burrow~*~*~*~*~

Molly was fretting yet again, as she tried to think on what she could do that would settle her down.  Last night her twins had flooed over from the Headmaster's office and she had been prepared to scream at them for getting in trouble. Only it turned out to be much worse than she had ever imagined. One of the children at school had died by his own hand, and her babies had found him.

She wasn't sure how to handle the situation, especially as they already had one catatonic child and another in physical therapy on top of whatever this was. She was ever so grateful for her older boys; they were still at home thankfully so she didn't get too overwhelmed. She still wasn't sure that keeping Ronnie at school was the best solution but at the moment Percy took most of her time.

And now this incident with her twins, Merlin couldn't her family catch a break. She glanced over at her twins, thankful to Charlie who had pulled them out of their room and led them downstairs. They seemed to be in their own little world, she hoped that everything would be okay. She didn't think she could stand it if something happened to one of her other children. Molly brushed the flour off of her apron before she headed towards her children.

"Breakfast is ready," she told them kindly her tone unusually low when she addressed her brood. She knew that her loud voice would be the most unwelcome at this moment and she didn't want to startle any of them.

"We aren't hungry mum, maybe later?" George replied a moment later, as he pressed his face into his twin's hair.

This was hard, they had lost a few of their friends when the volcano had hit Hogwarts and they relied heavily on one another. But this was different in a way, as Fred had lost someone close to him and that made George literally feel his grief. The bond between twins in the magical world was truly magical, but at times like these it made one wish they weren't twins.

He felt Fred stiffen at his sudden thought and held the other boy tighter in response. He didn't wish he wasn't a twin, he just wished that the grief wasn't so strong that he couldn't comfort his brother like he needed to be. But he wasn't going to push his twin away, there was no way in hell that was happening.

Fred lifted up his head, blinking rapidly and fighting hard against the tears that threatened to fall as he tried to pull back from his twin. He had felt the emotion, underneath his grief, he knew that George didn't know Draco like he did, like Harry did. He swallowed thickly before sniffling as he gave a quick nod.

"I'm alright Georgie," he told him quietly. "You can let me go now," he said weakly.

"You're not okay Freddie, I didn't mean that I wished I wasn't a twin. I only meant I can't comfort you like you did me when I found out Katie had died. It's because I feel your pain as if it was mine, and it hurts me so I can only guess how it feels you too," George replied tightly.

"Mum, I'm gonna lay back down but you can talk to George if you'd like," Fred said tearfully as he pulled up and away from his twin before swiping his arm across his eyes.

 He just needed a moment to get into control, he just needed a moment to grieve alone. The bond was stronger when they hugged, but if he separated himself from his twin George wouldn't have suffer Fred's mistake. This was his fault, he had forgotten to meet with Draco yesterday, how could he be so selfish as to forget something like that?

"Freddie don't pull away from me," George said quietly as he caught his brother's hand. "I know you need me to help you pull through this. Do not say otherwise," he cautioned him, his tone turning even more serious than it had been.

"I need you to take care of Ron and make sure that he stays okay. I was supposed to do that for Draco ya know. We all I know I obviously failed, because he died," Fred said, as the tears poured freely from his eyes. "And I know I shouldn't blame myself, but I can't help it. If I hadn't of forgotten to meet him, he would still be here. How could I be so blind? This isn't fucking fair!" Fred yelled out before he turned to and ran out of the room and up the stairs to their room.

George brought a hand to his chest as the grief and agony ripped through him, biting his lip to keep the tears at bay. He watched for a second as Charlie looked from him to where the stairs where Fred went before his older brother headed for them. George shook his head and hurried to cut his older brother off.

"No, you stay here Charlie, with Percy and Bill and mum," George said tightly.

Charlie grimaced, his eyes flicking up to the staircase where his younger brother had disappeared too. "I don't think that's a good idea buddy, he doesn't need to be alone right now,"

"And he's not going to be, I'm going up there right now," George said firmly.

"I don't think that's the best idea," Charlie said gently.

"Good thing I don't care what you think. I guess you all missed it, but that's my twin up there. If anyone is going to comfort and suffer the same pain as him, it's gonna be me. It's my right before it's any of yours," George said angrily, unable to help the tears that fell from his own eyes. He couldn't do this without Fred, and no matter how much the other boy pushed him away, he would still stay, because that's what Freddie had done for him.

"George, we are not trying to take your place with Fred. I don't think we ever could, I just think that you guys might need some time to grieve separately. And that's okay, but I also think that Fred needs some support from the rest of his family," Charlie explained delicately.

"Just fucking go away, you were in Romania all this time. You didn't care about any of us and now this shit happens and suddenly your home and changing the rules? Fuck off Charlie, you and Bill both. Mind your own damn business," George stated heatedly as he shoved passed his older brother and ran up the stairs. He noted that the older boy didn't even try to block him from going, he hadn't meant what he said he just wanted his stupid older brother to move.

Bill frowned as he looked at his brothers. "I haven't said a thing to either of them, I've been with Percy all night and then this morning." He said slowly just in case someone else got the idea to start yelling at him.

"George didn't mean it, just let's leave them alone. I will take some soup and sandwiches up to them later but for now let us have some breakfast," Molly said quietly. It had been hard not to run after her youngest boys it was obvious that Fred was blaming himself and George was blaming himself for Fred blaming himself.

She only hoped that this would pass, and she also hoped that everything would be okay. As she looked at Percy carefully crutch his way to the kitchen, she knew only time would tell. Her mind automatically went back to the day in the Hospital a couple days after he had come to terms with losing his legs, when she finally realized that something was seriously wrong with Ronnie.

~Flashback~

Molly glanced over to where her middle son was sleeping, even in his sleep his face was etched in pain. The healer had mentioned that it wasn't the physical pain but the emotional pain of what he was currently dealing with. They hadn't really been able to talk about the child's new life without his legs as Percy hadn't been emotionally ready. But Molly had a good feeling about today, it had been almost a week from the day he was first in here and she knew the importance of it.

The Healers had been worried that he wouldn't pull out of this funk but he had proved them wrong. They hadn't let him know about anyone's death as she knew he would take the death of Penelope Clearwater hard, as she knew her child had fancied the girl. Molly gently reached out to grab Percy's hand unable to resist anymore. She had given him the space he needed but now she needed him to allow her to be there for him, and the rest of the speaking.

She glanced around the room to see who was currently in the room and frowned as she saw that the only other Weasley was Ron and he had been so quiet she was sure he had been asleep. Looking at him now, she found herself swallowing thickly as she carefully stood up and made her way to her youngest boy. In all of the commotion she hadn't noticed that her boy hadn't said many words since they flooed over from Hogwarts but she saw it now. She hurried over to him and got on her knees so she could look him in the eyes, and she gave a small gasp as his eyes stared back at him but there was no change. What was wrong with her baby?

"Ronnie, honey what is it? Did something happen that I missed?" Molly asked worriedly as she gently shook the boy trying to get a reaction but there hadn't been one. "I've got your favorites made back at the home Ronnie, Shepherd's Pie, with a Blackberry Cobbler for dessert," she tried again knowing that this normally worked but that day she got nothing.

 Molly gasped and backed away from her boy, realizing that the first day that Arthur had noticed something was wrong with Ron, had come out to be true. She didn't know how to deal with this. She hugged the young boy tightly, getting lost in her thoughts for a moment before she heard a groan coming from the bed. Percy had finally woken up! Kissing the top of Ron's head, she gently let go of him and hurriedly made her way to her other son.

Percy blinked owlishly as his mum came into view and he smiled weakly, aware that he had been a self-righteous prick. What must the twins be thinking? They had witnessed him at his worst and had only been worried for him and he had wished he was dead? How selfish could he be? He swallowed thickly as he looked up at his mum who was reaching for him and he found himself grabbing tightly to her hands in return.

"I'm sorry for being a prat, I don't wish I had died mum. I would never want to hurt you," Percy whispered out softly as he glanced around the room. He noted in dismay that except for Ron, none of his other siblings were there and his shoulders slumped. He wondered if he had really messed up everything.

"It's alright, we know it was the heat of the moment," Molly told him kindly as a look of understanding came over her own features as she took his look for what it was. "Everyone is still here in the Hospital somewhere, they are off either getting food or visiting with some other kids from school," Molly assured him.

"So no one left because of what I said?" He asked skeptically. He knew how his siblings could hold a grudge, he was just like that when he thought he was right.

"They understand the stress you're under, we all do. It's going to be a tough road but you won't be alone for the journey love," Molly told him kindly.

"What will I end up doing then? How will I walk?" Percy asked softly. Even though he had accepted the fact that his legs were gone, he couldn't accept that he would never be mobile again. He didn't regret saving Chris, how could he? The boy had been younger than his sister, and he would have wanted someone to save her when it came down to it, like Harry had in the boy's second year.

"There is actually a solution that Healer Morgan has come up with, he and your father have been having talks," Molly told him proudly.

"Talks about what?" Percy asked in confusion.

"Healer Morgan is a half-blood who grew up in both the wizarding world and the magical one. And he took pictures of what the muggles use when they lose a limb. He and his team has managed to enhance it with magic and when you are ready for it. You will be fitted to have the first ever magical prosthetic legs," Molly told him excitedly. She had been truly worried at first as she didn't want Percy to have to use a wooded leg like Alastor, this was definitely better for them.

Percy was floored, he wasn't even sure what the heck his mom was talking about but he had heard the word legs and he was definitely all for it. At least for a moment before he was aware of something and quickly shook his head as he looked at his mother worriedly.

"Mum we can't afford it; I know that me being laid up here for the past week as been draining the little money that we have. I'll just...I'll just be okay," Percy said quietly. As good as the solution sounded he knew that it was bound to cost a lot of money, money that he knew his family didn't have.

"You hush right there, everything is already paid for. You are the first ever recipient to receive it, we aren't getting charged for this. As for the hospital fees, those are also taken care of. Every child that went to Hogwarts that was Physically affected by the tragic events have been compensated already or will be by the end of the week," Molly told him promptly.

Percy swallowed at the implications of that, wanting to know how much they would each get but was too afraid to ask. He gave his mum a small smile, before he took a breath. "How much was it mum? I don't want to use it all by being laid up here when we can use it for something else," he asked softly.

"It won't be, I had 4 children in Hogwarts at the time the traumatic events took place, I have received money for 3 of my children so far," Molly informed him.

"More of us were hurt?" Percy asked in horror.

"Fred and George ended up with some bad burns but they'll be fine, and Ginny broke her ankle as she tripped running to the Professor's office," Molly explained, everyone was mostly fine.

"What about Ron? He wasn't hurt was he?" Percy asked as he looked at his unusually quiet little brother across the room.

"Not physically, the compensation for the children affected by the events mentally and emotionally are getting taking care of next week. We will have our choice of a healer as well as the funds we were promised," Molly replied in awe. She was still in a state of disbelief when she thought about it.

"So in total how many galleons are we getting?" Percy prompted, he just wanted to make sure that he wasn't burdening the family, not to mention he was curious. It seemed the Weasley Family was finally catching a break.

Molly smiled her knowing what he was asking and she would ease his mind, like she would do if any of her other children asked. They hadn't yet, their mind mostly on their family or their brother. "Depending on the severity of the injury, we were compensated on, you must understand that honey,"

Percy glanced down at the blanket to where his legs weren't. "You've got a lot for me I take it mum?" He asked in amusement, trying to prepare himself for what she was trying to say.

"Yes, try to not faint shall we? You'll be taking after your father if you do," Molly laughed happily.

Percy gasped softly as he looked at his mum in anticipation. He just wanted his mother to be financially secure is all, and he didn't want to be that burden that made it worse. He wanted things to finally work out for their family. "Don't keep me in the dark mum,"

"Alright, from you they awarded 100,000 galleons, and I believe you will be getting an award once you're better. You didn't tell me you had rescued a child?" Molly said softly.

"That's how I lost m-my legs, it crept up on us and I carried him through it. I tossed him to the twins, mum he was so small and scared, I couldn't leave him there. I never expected that all of this would come from doing the right thing," Percy replied softly still in shock at the amount of money they had from him.

"And for Ginny and the twins, each of them received 25,000 galleons a piece, and so I need you and everyone else to focus on getting better. No one is a burden in the family, with or without the funds," Molly stated firmly.

"What about Ron?" Percy said softly.

"I'm not sure yet, I was told we would be in contact next week to go over his case. He's seeing a healer now; all the students are seeing one. It's free of charge for everyone who was affected," Molly replied sadly.

"That's good all things considering," Percy said with a smile. He was still in awe at how much they currently had.

"When you are better we will be heading down to Gringotts to get you situated with your own vault. Most of the money is yours and I would never try to take it from you," Molly told him quietly.

Percy swallowed thickly, remembering before the tragedy, how he had constantly wished that he had money so he run away from home. How he hated his family and wanted a new one, only Ron understood what he had been feeling. And he didn't care how much he hurt his parents, but after everything that happened he couldn't think on how selfish and mean spirited he had been. How he hurt his mother so, how could he be so childish?

"There's no need mum, it's for all of us," Percy replied firmly.

Molly smiled tearfully at her child as she ran her hand through his red hair fondly, before glancing up as her older son came into the room.

"Yo Perce, you're up," Bill said happily giving his brother a smile before turning to his youngest brother.

Percy was noticeably confused. "I thought you would have gone back to work?"

"I've never taken personal time in all my years with the Goblins and I've saved up quite a bit so I'm going to be around for some time. At least until Hogwarts is mostly finished and then I'll be called in to help with the warding," Bill said easily as he gently pulled Ron to his feet.

"Why isn't he talking? He hasn't said anything or moved really since I've woken up," Percy said quietly wondering why his mother hadn't shed light on that situation.

"He's dealing with what he saw in a rather different way then we'd like. He's shut himself up inside his mind, frightened out his wits to come out. I'm not sure of what he'd seen but the twins seem to think it might have the Slytherin Chaser that was burned alive coming from the Quidditch pitch," Bill said gravely before gave his mother a kiss.

"Where are you off too?" Molly asked softly, she wasn't talking very loud like she usually did anymore. There was no point, there was no joy in anything of this.

"Taking him to the toilet, and then we'll head over to see Dad at the Ministry and pick out a healer for him," Bill explained.

Molly sighed softly at that, wishing she could go along but someone needed to stay here with Percy. She didn't want him dropping back down into that depressive state he had been in before.

"And what of the twins and Ginny?" She wondered.

"Charlie has them, and the last I saw they were popping in and out of the rooms on the floor as they visited with all their peers," he answered easily.

"Did they seem okay?" Molly asked carefully.

"From what I could tell, but the twins aren't being very fore coming with me about how they feel. Ginny is alright, she just wants to know if she can spend the rest of the week with Luna," Bill replied.

"Luna and her father were here?" Molly asked, hoping nothing had been seriously wrong with the young girl.

"Yes, she got burned a bit but she's alright and going home today. So if it's alright I'll let Ginny know when I pass her?" Bill wondered as he looked at his mother for confirmation.

"That's fine," Molly replied quickly wanting at least one of her children to have a semblance for calm.

"Sweet, alright mum I'd better go, Ron's squeezing the hell out of my hand so I suspect he really does need the toilet," Bill said with a small laugh before he hurried out of the room with the younger boy in tow.

~*~*~*~*~Flashback over~^~^~^~^~

Molly came back to herself as she looked at her 3 eldest boys quietly eating their breakfast. She hoped they as a family could make it through this tough time, they were strong and they would support one another as much as they could.

Bill noticed the solemn look on his mum's face and looked at her in concern. "Are alright mum?"

"Yeah, I think I am," she replied softly as she turned back to her food. She would need to check on her twins sooner rather than later, she didn't want any of her boys getting suicide into their heads any time soon.

~*~*Hogwarts Great Hall~*~*~*~*

Back at Hogwarts the chatter in the Great Hall was obviously subdued, the Headmaster had gone on to say that there would be a small memorial service for Draco Malfoy. And after the service they would unveiling a plaque that had all the names of the students that perished that fateful day. He felt that Draco's name deserved on to be on there as the child had suffered from the emotional scars of that day.

Just like Severus had told Harry, Albus cancelled the classes for the day, giving the children some time to just cope. The old man hurried up to his office, knowing it was going to be flooded with letters, probably not howlers but he wouldn't put it past anyone. He was getting old for this and he hoped that Minnie would bring him some good news.

~&~&breaking page~&~&~&

Neville turned around as he glanced around the Great Hall, there was a lack of happiness in it all things considering. Not to mention just when it started feeling like it might be okay, something else had to happen. It was hard for the Gryffindor to come in and try to go back to the way it used to be.

Seamus's bed was still there, but everything that had been his was gone, the same with Dean's things. Neville knew that the other Gryffindor was struggling with the death of his best friend and his parents had taken him out Hogwarts at this time. He would be back when he was ready to come back, that made their dorm feel emptier then it should.

Since the incident, he felt different especially regarding brooms and flying and Quidditch even. He understood how Harry could feel so free in the air, how nothing truly could touch you, especially not the lava. He calmly took a breath as the panic squeezed at his chest, making it tighter and harder to breathe. He needed to be strong, it was clear when had come back that someone needed to make sure everyone was okay. He would never forget the look on his Gran's face when she found out that he alone had rescued four 3 other students from a dangerous situation.

He had never minded not having a best friend at Hogwarts, because the boys in his dorm didn't mind him tagging along. Sure he felt like the third wheel most days but they weren't mean about him being there. But now, he felt it hard. Harry was branching out and making friends with people from different houses and Ron was just there physically. It had come down to Harry and Neville making sure that Ron got to his day to day classes as the other boy would just blank out.

One minute he would be there and the next, he was back in his mind. He sighed softly, wanting to get out of this space, he just wanted to be anywhere but where the whispers about why the Slytherin had taken his own life were. He turned to Hermione to ask her if she wanted to come with him on an outing through the castle on to frown as he saw the Headmistress coming towards the table.

"Ma'am, is there something wrong?" Neville stated politely as he looked at the stern woman. It wasn't hard to see the sorrow all over her face.

"No I'm alright Mr. Longbottom, I just need to borrow Miss Granger for a moment," Minerva replied kindly as she looked at the girl in question.

Hermione frowned, unsure of what the woman wanted but obediently stood up. She looked uneasily at before she turned back to Neville pleadingly. "Can you uh, keep an eye out an on him?"

"Of course, we might go for a walk in a moment if you'd want to join us after?" Neville asked easily.

Hermione nodded quickly. "I'll find you guys," she promised him before she smiled at her Head of house and followed the woman out of the Great Hall.

Minerva had a hunch about what Albus wanted from her, and considering the circumstances surrounding today she didn't have a problem with it. Why have this unnecessary pain if there was a way to fix it. She walked quickly into her office, making sure the child was inside before she turned to look at her.

"Do you know why I have called you here?" Minerva asked quietly wondering if the child would remember what she had given her. She scoffed slightly before she remembered the girl in front of her.

"Not really." Hermione said slowly looking at the woman in confusion.

"Do you remember the Time-Turner I gave you earlier this year? I need that back," Minerva said cutting right to the point.

Hermione flushed as she looked at her shoes for a moment before she nodded weakly. She knew where she had left it all right, but that didn't mean much at the moment. She figured out in that moment what the Deputy Headmistress wanted to use it for but how was she to tell her she no longer had it

"I do," Hermione replied quietly, a heavy feeling settling in her chest.

"May I have it back?" Minerva asked her kindly.

Hermione took a deep breath, as she found herself swallowing thickly before shaking her head regretfully. "I can't give it back, I had it in my trunk that day when the lava came into Hogwarts. Gryffindor Tower was destroyed and all of my things along with is," she replied softly.

Minerva swore her heart stopped at that moment, her hand coming to grasp at her chest as the pain resonated from it. She had been so sure that was the answer to what they needed. She swallowed quietly before giving the girl a small smile.

"That's alright, off you go," she told the girl quietly.

"I'm sorry Professor," Hermione stated quickly feeling awful as she walked out of the office slowly.

She knew that the Professor had planned to use it to go back and get Draco Malfoy, why had she left such a priceless artifact in her trunk like replaceable necklace. She sniffled softly to herself as she walked down the corridor, taking a moment to collect herself as she pressed her face against the stone walls. T

hey would get through this, though she hadn't known Draco personally only that he had been a jerk to her she hadn't wanted him to die. She knew Harry would mourn the worse over the boy's death and she didn't want Harry blaming himself that was the last thing they needed.

The End.
End Notes:
I'm sorry for those of you who wanted Draco to come back, he was always meant to die. To bring him back will upset my outline and I've done that on a story before and I wont do it again. Hope you enjoyed it.

I've known someone injured in something that happened at school. They ended up with some broken bones and their family was paid quite of bit of money so I went off there. Percy got more as he lost two legs and emotional suffering. The kids who died, their parents would obviously have alot more as well.
Chapter 20: Coming Together in Times of Sorrow by Severus Draconis Potter
Author's Notes:
This was written in two days, it was really emotional for me, that it gave me a headache. There is literally only one chapter left of this story and I'm finished! So enjoy this one.

There wasn't alot of Sev/Harry bonding because I'm tying up lose ends of the story. If there was something that you felt needs to be tied up, just leave it in a comment, I was rereading my story but I feel like I'm missing something. Anyway, enjoy!

Sirius sighed softly as he dressed in his formal clothes, making sure he was impeccable before holstering his wand and making his way to the apparition point. He needed to get a hold of his grief, Narcissa needed someone to be there for her. He would have to man up and take her and Lucius in hand.

As much as he hated that pompous arse that she called a husband, Narcissa was a Black first, and family sticks together. Gathering his magic, he apparated to the front of Malfoy Manor, before walking up to the front door. Taking a breath, he gave a firm knock, wishing he was anywhere but here, but this had to be done.

"Where is your mistress?" Sirius asked briskly as he was led inside by a house elf.

"In the sitting room Lord Black," the elf replied before leading him to it.

Sirius followed dutifully after the creature, his face a blank mask as he passed the portraits on the wall to the sitting room. He took another deep breath as he walked inside the room.

 "Cissa," he breathed out, his eyes taking in her pale and unkempt form. It was so unlike her but with the situation being what it was, this was no fault of her own. He found his body moving of its own accord towards her.

"Cousin," Narcissa hoarsely returned as she stared almost unseeingly at him.

Sirius needed no other encouragement, no other things were said. Despite his earlier admissions he knew that he had done the right thing. He gathered her in his arms tightly and hugged her, feeling her fragile form shake from her silent sobs. His family had never been there for him when he needed them, but he would be here for her because other than Harry she was all he had.

~*~*~*Hogwarts~*~*~

Severus sighed softly, as Harry's cries finally tapered off into small sniffles. He stood up with the child in his arms adjusting the boy accordingly. He had heard his Slytherin's pass by the corridors moments before but he hadn't been able to follow them. He needed to make sure that they were okay and that no one was blaming themselves. He glanced at the child in his arms, and he could see the boy's eyes were closed but he also knew that Harry wasn't asleep.

"Are you up to going into the Slytherin Common room with me?" Severus asked casually, wondering if Harry would rise to the bait.

"No, I've been in there already, nothing's change. Except Draco not being in there," he gasped out, pressing his face hard into his guardian's shoulder.

"Do you need me to get Sirius?" Severus asked kindly, even as he headed to the Slytherin Dorms.

"No, you said he was with his family," Harry mumbled out. He wasn't totally sure how he felt about that exactly.

"He's with Narcissa, that's his first cousin," Severus explained.

"So I was related to Draco?" Harry asked after a moment of silence had gone by.

"You were, both through your father and your godfather. Your paternal grandmother was a Black," Severus told him honestly.

"So basically Draco was like my 3rd cousin, and I never knew that," Harry said with a strange gleam in his eye.

"Yes," Severus replied softly as he continued to the Slytherin dorms. Touching his palm to the wall that guarded the Slytherin common room, he took a breath and walked on in. He had some students to soothe.

~(~(~(A Few Days Later~(~(~(~

Narcissa took a deep breath before grabbing some floo powder and stepping into the fireplace. "The Burrow," she called out clearly before she disappeared into the green flames.

She had never thought she would ever utter those words in her life, but then again she had never thought she would be doing a lot of things that she had done this week. No mother was supposed to bury her own child. How was she going to cope with this?

She pushed those tearful thoughts behind her mental barriers as she smoothly stepped out of the fireplace. Now was not the time to break down, she had a job to do. Silently spelling the soot from her clothes she waited patiently for someone to come. She knew she wasn't expected but she also didn't think anyone would mind. They were Gryffindors how could they not?

Molly Weasley wasn't expecting anyone so when she heard her floo ring, she wasn't sure what to think. Bill and Charlie had taken Fred and George out flying about 30 minutes before. She just wanted her boys to have a sense of normalcy amid their grief. And Percy and Arthur were at Mungos doing the latter's physical therapy. Sighing softly, she made her way down the stairs and to the floo room, gasping softly in surprise as she saw who it was.

"Mrs. Malfoy, may I help you with something?" Molly asked quietly, her hands clasped tightly in front of her. She wasn't afraid now, but she did feel some empathy for the other woman in front of her. She could see, the red rimmed eyes, and the less than perfect style of her hair, but she found no fault in her.

"Narcissa please," Narcissa replied quietly, her heart aching as she looked at the clock that showed where all the members of Molly's family currently were. Her own heart clenched at the thought that she would never ever see her beloved Draco again.

Molly smiled sadly as she followed the woman's gaze. "Narcissa, would you like some tea?" She asked instead, she could hear the hurt in the woman's tone and she ached with her.

"Tea would be lovely, thank you," Narcissa stated tearfully just barely being able to keep it together as it was.

Her manor had never felt so empty then it currently did, Lucius was never in the same room as her and she couldn't bear to go in her dragon's room. It didn't even feel like this was real, never had she thought this was a possibility. Her hand came to grab her chest as she struggled for control of her emotions, why had she come here? What had she been thinking of when she flooed here? She turned to leave when she felt a hand grab her free hand and hold it tightly.

"You are not alone here, I will be your rock if you need me too," Molly told her tightly, her throat thick with unshed tears. She could feel what the woman was going through, there had been times when she had thought that she had lost more than one of her children during the tragedy.  But this was different, for it to be true, she didn't know how she would cope. But she could be here for her, and she would be.

"I need to talk to Fredrick," Narcissa whispered out, unable to raise her voice any higher. She was barely keeping it together as it was.

"And you will, but for now we will have some tea, you are no longer alone in your grief Narcissa. I haven't lost a child so I won't pretend like I know the pain you feel. However, I am here you," Molly told her fiercely.

There was nothing left for Narcissa to say to that declaration, so she didn't say anything. There was nothing to be said as she was pulled into a tight hug, where she wept for her lost child.

~*~*~*Hogwarts~*~*~*~*~

"Albus, what is the plan for Draco's memorial service?" Minerva asked quietly.

"Sirius is talking with the Malfoy's regarding it, he will let me know when he gets back. But I hope to have it here and after unveil the plaque of remembrance of all the children we lost that fateful day," Albus replied softly. He had never more felt his age then he did now.

"And you'll be adding Mr. Malfoy to that plaque as well?" Minerva asked tightly.

"Yes, he was affect by this tragedy, hurting in ways I can only imagine. And he deserves to be up there, to be remembered," Albus said firmly, wondering if she would dispute that.

"Good, I'm glad," Minerva told him quietly, she had been prepared to bring both Severus and Sirius to convince Albus that Draco's name needed to be there.

"Have you spoken with Dean Thomas and his family?" Albus asked after a moment.

"I have, as you were aware the Thomas's and Finnegan's family were quite close. They feel that he's not ready to come back at all this year, and he will be tutored at home. They aren't sure about his 4th year, but I'm staying in contact with them either way," she said sadly. It was a tragic situation all around.

"That's understandable, I think that it would be beneficial to maybe the close the school early for the summer holidays," Albus said slowly.

"Maybe we should wait, and discuss to see what the other Professor's think of that suggestion," Minerva said carefully.

"Right you are, I send out missives for a staff meeting and we will all go from there," he promised her.

Minerva nodded silently before making her way out of the room, she needed to make sure that her students were still okay.

~&~&~&The Burrow~&~&~&~

Fred was confused when he and his brothers walked inside their house to see his mum and Draco Malfoy's mum talking quietly together. He wasn't exactly sure what to think, not to mention just what had they been talking about? What was going on? He swallowed thickly, wondering why she was even here? Was she here to blame him for her son's death as well?

 He didn't want to hear it, but he knew since it was his fault, it was the least he could do. Fred grabbed his twin's hand tightly, as his older brothers led the way to where their mother was.

"Mum, are you alright?" Bill asked cautiously as neither woman had looked up when they opened the door.

"I'm alright dear, we were just discussing a few things. Can you and Charlie join me in the kitchen please?" Molly asked even as she gave the other woman's hand a small squeeze before standing up.

Bill's eyes flashed between the blonde woman and back to his twin brothers before he was shaking his head in denial. "No thanks mum, I'll stay out here with the twins," he said casually.

"She is not going to harm them William, now you and Charlie get over here," Molly hissed out. She was not in the mood for this, her emotions were already run ragged as it was.

Bill sighed but he and Charlie obediently made their way to their mother and disappeared into the kitchen.

George glanced at his brother before pulling him towards the couch that his mum had just vacated to take a seat. "What can we help you with Mrs. Malfoy?"

Narcissa smiled fondly even through her hurt she could see how much Fredrick had cared for her child. To know during his last torturous months at school that he hadn't suffered alone. That there had been someone there for him, when Lucius wouldn't, and she couldn't. They would never be able to repay him for that. But they would be able to help.

"I wanted to thank you Fredrick, for what you did for Draco," She started off softly.

Fred shook his head in denial, at her words, even as he felt his brother squeezing his hand tightly. "I should've been there for him," he said softly. "This is all my fault," he whispered out tearfully.

"It's no more your fault then it is mine, or his for that matter. He was very good at hiding his emotions, his father taught him well.  But despite all that you saw through that mask and found him. He cared for you deeply, make no mistake about that," Narcissa told him firmly.

She would make him understand, he would not hold this in. It was not his fault, and she would be there to tell him that every day if she needed too. She would not watch as another child suffered in silence, for she had learned her lesson. And what a harsh lesson it had been.

"I'm sorry for your loss," Fred finally said sadly when it became apparent she wouldn't allow him to take the blame.

"As am I for yours," Narcissa replied kindly before pulling out a small black book that Severus had given him. They had both lost someone important too them. "Do you know what this is?"

"Draco's journal," Fred replied carefully wondering what she was planning on doing with it.

"Yes, I have a copy of it, but this is the original, and I want you to have it. You don't have to read it now, but in the future, you should," she said quietly as she held it out for him to take. She had kept all of her son's letters he had written to her, and she wasn't Fredrick to have her son's original journal.

"No, those are his personal thoughts. I can't betray him like that," Fred sniffled out refusing to take the book.

"You won't be betraying him, but you will get some closure from it," she insisted as she continued to hold it out to him.

George sighed before he gently took in the book in his brother's stead. "I will make sure he reads it," he promised her. They were both stubborn; and he didn't want to be sitting here all day waiting for his brother to grab the book from her.

Narcissa smiled fondly at him before reaching into her bag once more and pulling out an envelope. "This is also for you; I wish I could take this pain away from you. But to do so would mean that you hadn't gotten to know Draco; and I could never do that to you. It will get better Fredrick; we just need to take it a day at a time," Narcissa told him wretchedly.

"What is it?" Fred asked inaudibly as took the envelope from her curiously.

"Something to make you smile I hope. Draco told me of your dreams, I hope that you can make it a reality. We all could do with a little bit more laughter in our lives," Narcissa replied kindly.

Fred nodded in confusion, unsure exactly what Draco had said. He stood up and reached over to hug the woman tightly. "Thank you," he whispered out, his voice catching in his throat from the tears that were running down his face.

"No, thank you. And please tell your mother I will owl her, and feel free to come see me at the manor any time Fredrick," she told him kindly. He would not be shutting her out, for she was sure that Molly and her had come together. Their husbands would just need to get over it.

Fred nodded slowly watching impassively as she walked to the fireplace before she flooed out. He glanced at his twin who was still holding Draco's journal in his hands. He felt off about George holding it, but he didn't want to grab it himself. He swallowed the lump in his throat as he leaned on his brother.

"You gonna open it Freddie?" George asked, he was curious to know what was in it.

Fred glanced down at the envelope and nodded, wondering what on earth she had given him. He could feel something in the envelope but he was focused on the letter, and as he grabbed it, something small fell out.

"I got it," George said easily as he bent down to pick it up. His eyes widen as he looked at the key in his hand. "What's that letter say Freddie?" He asked quietly, his heart thudding quickly in his chest.

Fred gasped in disbelief as he held the letter out for his twin to see it as well.

To Mr. Fredrick Gideon Weasley:

I wish I could say this to your face, I wish I was strong enough to admit when I was wrong. But mostly I wish that I had been there for my son when he needed me. But I wasn't and I have to live with the consequences of that. But you do not, you were strong that even in your own grief, you found time for my Draco and you will always have my gratitude for that.

I wish that things could be different, but even me in all my wealth and political power I cannot get my son back. These are the moments in life where you realize how strong someone can be. Do not let this hinder you, you have an opportunity to live your life too the fullest extent that you can. Grieve for my son, but do not waste your life, you can get through this. You are not at fault in this, in no way was my son's death your fault; that is my burden to bear.

I want to say thank you for everything that you have done for my Draco. I wish you the very best in your life, and as a thank you I have enclosed a key for you. This is yours to do with whatever you choose to do. There are no strings attached and I want nothing from you in return. Live your dreams, and remember the good times with Draco. He would want you bring joy to everyone like you did for him.

Regards,

Lucius Malfoy

Fred almost couldn't breathe as he looked from the letter to the key in his brother's hand. He didn't know how to feel now, but shock and disbelief and a bit of fear of the unknown had taken over the grief he had been feeling. He was curious to see how much was in the vault, for that's what the key was obviously too. He swallowed thickly before turning to look towards the kitchen door where his mum and older brothers had disappeared into.

"Mum, you can come out now. Can George and I go to Diagon Alley please?" Fred called out, surprising himself that his voice while a bit thick, came out clearer then he had thought.

"If Bill or Charlie goes with you both," Molly replied easily as she came out of the kitchen.

George looked towards his older brothers expecting one of them to come with them as he headed over with his twin to the fireplace.

"Where do you need to go Fred?" Bill asked warily.

"Gringotts," Fred replied softly.

"I'll go then, I need to talk with my superior regarding my leave anyway, come on then," Bill said as he grabbed the floo powder and ushered them all into the fireplace. He was feeling oddly protective of all his siblings so they would be going together. "Take care of Mum, Charlie," he told him before they disappeared in the green flames.

They landed in one of the fireplace designated for floo travel in the alley and ushered his brothers down the cobblestone path. He wasn't sure what they needed at the bank, but he gathered it might have to do with the letter and key in his brother's hand. Their mum seemed to think whatever they had was alright so he would trust her judgement, for now anyways. The brothers walked up the steps to the bank, following their older brother who led them to a goblin teller.

"We need to speak to someone regarding a gift vault please," Bill stated respectfully.

"Of course William, may I see the key?" The Goblin requested.

George handed over the key wearily as he watched the Goblin's eyes lit up in recognition before glancing down at the red-headed males.

"I see, did you wish to visit the vault today or did you just want a statement regarding how much is in it?" The Goblin asked.

"Uh, I guess we can see the vault, and get a statement while we are at it," Bill replied when it became apparent his brothers wouldn't be answering. He nodded his thanks as he was passed the parchment letting out a low whistle as he saw the amount.

"Is it a lot Bill?" George asked out softly as they followed a Goblin towards the carts.

"I'll say, who left you guys 1 million galleons?" Bill asked quietly, this was more money than he had ever seen before. He was in shock that much was apparent.

Fred gasped softly, as he grabbed the parchment out of his brother's hand, stopping in the middle of the bank to stare in incredulity at the parchment. "Oh my Merlin," he breathed out, his legs trembling. If he hadn't of been holding onto his twin, he knew for sure he would have fallen.

"You okay there Freddie?" George asked softly.

Fred blew out a breath and gave a weak chuckle. "No, but I think in time, I will be," he said softly as he allowed his brothers to help him onto the cart. He did not ever think this would be the result of his talk with Narcissa.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

"Uncle Severus, what's going to happen now?" Harry asked quietly as they made their way to the Great Hall.

"Well, we will have a memorial service here for Draco and then his parents will send out invitations for his funeral and we go to that. And then when it's all said and done, the Headmaster has a plaque he will set up somewhere on the grounds, to remember the 24 students that we lost," he said including Draco in the count.

"Then can we go home?" Harry asked quietly he didn't think he was strong enough to do school anymore this year. True they only had a few more months until the summer Holidays but he was overwrought for it.

"Yes, we can go home," Severus promised him. School could wait, Harry emotional state was more important now. And he knew that other parents probably felt the same. They had tried to give a semblance of calm but that had shattered yet again. And everyone needed to come to terms with yet another death.

"When will Uncle Sirius come back?" Harry asked after a moment.

"I'm not sure to be honest, but he will be back," Severus assured him.

Harry nodded, he wasn't worried about that. He was just so heartbroken at the moment, that he wanted everyone he loved close to him. He gritted his teeth hard to stop the wave of grief that threatened his calm façade. He just needed to get through one more service and then he would be home free. If he had to bury another one of his friends, he was sure that he would break, and no one would be able to fix him. 

The End.
Chapter 21:Everything is going to be Okay by Severus Draconis Potter
Author's Notes:
So I had an outline for this, but it didn't seem to line it to where I apparently wanted the story to go. Thanks for this long ride, this story was about a traumatic event, how people cope during it, and the aftermath. And then how you go from there. I hope you enjoy this last chapter. And thanks for reading.

The day of Draco's funeral found Harry dressed up in his formal clothes, along with nearly everyone at school. As he looked around the grounds at all the somber faces, he couldn't help but feel a sense of overwhelming grief that threatened to drown him. His eyes flickered quickly from person to person, eyes welling up with tears as he recognized the distinct green tie on every student present.

He knew they weren't all Slytherins, and yet every Hogwarts students was wearing a green tie in solidarity for their classmate that had been lost. He had worn one because he had wanted to feel closer to the cousin he never really got to know.

Harry was very grateful that the Malfoys had decided to have Draco's funeral at the school grounds, otherwise he had been worried on how every one would have fit. The little Gryffindor tried not to look at the Malfoys, especially Lucius. Normally when he thought of that man, he got angry or a little fearful but every time he looked at him know all he could see was a broken man.

Gone was the hateful expression the man normally wore, and in its place was the face of a grieving father. It made Harry want to sob at the injustice of it, to see such an expression on a man as proud as this one. It was, something he honestly never wanted to see again. It hurt to look at Lucius Malfoy, you could see the man seemingly coming apart at the seams.

He could see the blonde man leaning heavily on his cane, as if the cane was supporting all of his weight. Harry had never seen Sirius look so stoic, as he stood by Narcissa. If Lucius looked devastated, then Narcissa looked Heartbroken, and Harry didn't want to imagine how she felt. Draco was his friend, and he felt like the grief was going to overtake him any moment.

It was like he couldn't breathe properly anymore; would his life always be marred by tragedy? Would he be doomed to forever feel pain like this for the rest of his life until it ended? Would it always hurt like this? How does someone come back from something like this? And where did one go from here?

~*~*~*~4 months Later*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Harry smiled from where he had jumped off his broom to land on the ground. He had been playing some pick up Quidditch with his friends, but the game had ended a moment ago. He glanced around, waiting for everyone to come down from the air, glancing around to see Severus watching him like he always did. He took a deep breath and smile in the direction of his guardian and father figure.

The last few months had been terribly hard on everyone involved, in fact Harry himself felt that if he hadn't had such a great support system that he himself would have slipped through the cracks as well. But Severus was always there to save him and he would never forget that. The school had closed the day after Draco's funeral, and the unveiling of the memorial plaque for him and the 21 students who had died in the accident. Harry had taken his first real deep breath when he had landed in the manor that he now called home.

Sirius had fully taken up the mantle of Lord Black and had stepped in and helped Narcissa work through her grief. Harry was glad that the man had done that, he didn't want to lose his friend's mom too. He had even heard a story from the twins about Lucius Malfoy turning over a new leaf, apparently the man had gifted them with a vault in Gringotts. He didn't ask how much but the twins were still in shock, even months later. It seemed like the only good thing that came out of Draco's tragic death was that the feud between the Weaseleys and Malfoys were over.

Harry knew he wasn't the only one who wished that the feud could be over but with Draco still here alive. It was strange these days, because Fred and George weren't as carefree as they had been. They still smiled and played a couple jokes here and there but the light that they had in their eyes weren't fully back. It was coming back but it wasn't to the level that it had been. He propped his broom up on the shed, and turned to see the rest of his friends doing the same.

"Isn't your brother supposed to be coming soon?" Harry asked Ron curiously, as Neville flanked his other side.

That was something else that had taken some getting used too, his one chatty and talkative mate who constantly talked, while they ate, in class or what have you, had gone. Harry was glad that it wasn't as severe as when the accident had occurred, but Ron was a lot quieter these days, that when he did talk, everyone listened. He missed the idle chatter, everything had changed.

"Yes, he says he has a surprise for everyone," Ron said lightly as he headed toward the manor with his siblings and Harry.

Of all the changes, Harry knew that this one was the best one. Since school had gotten out so early this year, Severus had been worried about Harry become antisocial and had arranged for weekly get togethers at the manor for whoever he wanted to invite. It was usually the Weaseleys, (minus Percy and Bill most times), the Longbottoms, and the Malfoys, Remus and Theo and then of course Sirius and Severus.

"Uncle Severus, is Percy here yet?" Harry asked as he walked inside the manor ahead of his friends.

"Not quite, why don't you go speak to Narcissa and tell her what you and Ron got up to this week?" Severus said gently.

"I don't know, I always feel like she might think I'm rubbing it in her face that I'm alive when Draco isn't. I'm pretty sure she doesn't actually want to know what we've gotten up too," Harry admitted softly.

"I can assure you she doesn't think that at all, Sirius was just telling me the other day how when she talks to you, she feels like a mother again. Don't deny yourself this Harry, I know you enjoy her company as well," Severus said knowingly.

Harry didn't answer, his eyes stinging because he knew exactly what Severus was getting at and he felt exposed. He hadn't thought that the man had been paying that much attention to their growing relationship. He felt like he and Narcissa understood one another, she who had lost a son and Harry who had lost a mother.

He wasn't sure if it was healthy or not but it didn't seem to hurt either one of them, and he knew that despite the fact that he hugged her pretending she was his mother. That she did the same to him and Pretended he was Draco, a way to get comfort the only way they knew how.

Thankfully Harry was saved from answering as he heard the floo, turning to look at the fireplace as Bill Weaseley appeared first.

"Where's Percy?" Fred called out curiously as usually Percy flooed with someone because he couldn't maintain his balance with his new prosthetics.

His brother had the heart of a Gryffindor as he could barely walk in them without a crutch, but he never gave up. Fred took a deep breath, he had a second chance, and he wouldn't waste it. He would do this for himself, and for Draco. He never thought he would get to a point where he didn't hurt as badly to think his name, and he wondered if he was ready to read the journal now. He felt like he was.

"He's coming now," Bill said as he moved to stand to where he could catch his younger brother if he needed too. He didn't think he would, but it was the big brother in him that made him take up said position anyway.

Harry watched like everyone else as Percy Weaseley flooed into the manor's sitting room, without a stumble. He watched as the Head boy gave a wide grin before he started walking confidently and towards his parents, unassisted. Harry watched as Molly and Arthur's mouth dropped open in shock, feeling his own jaw open and a glance around the room to see that he wasn't alone. The room was silent despite the fact that the conversation had dominated the area before the floo flared.

"You're walking without the crutches?" Molly asked, her eyes filling up with tears.

"Yup, my healer said they were holding me back, and I was letting them. He took them away from me a few days ago, and he was right. I was scared that I would be fail if I didn't have them, not realizing they were holding me back from the truth. I won't be hindered by what happened, I won't ever forget of course but I'm free," Percy said softly to his parents.

"That you are," Arthur said as he pulled in his 3rd eldest child to his chest so he could give him a hug. He didn't even need to look up as the rest of his children converged on them, just opening his arms to let them in.

Harry turned to look at Severus who was watching the scene with dark, emotional eyes, reaching forward so he could grab the man's hand and squeeze it tightly in his little hand.

"Are you okay Uncle Severus?" Harry asked softly, moving his eyes away from the emotional scene of the Weaseley family.

"I will be," Severus said quietly as he looked down at the child beside him with a smile. He took a deep breath, pushing the silent questions away they had no hold on him anymore.

"Are you sure?" Harry asked skeptically.

"I am, I've got you to keep me together, Percival is right. It hurts but every day is an accomplishment from how far we've come. It'll only get better, and I have you to remind me of that," Severus said softly as he gently pulled the child into a hug.

Harry wasn't sure he understood exactly what Percy or the Professor was saying but he knew it didn't matter in the end. They were going to be okay, as long as they had each other.

The End.
End Notes:
Sorry to whoever follows my Sirius story, I accidentally added this chapter there 🤦Thanks for sticking with me%


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=2935