Psychosis by SnowWhiteOwl
Summary: When Harry was hit by the killing curse, a horcrux was created. In this story, Harry is affected by the piece of Voldemort's soul inside his head in a more noticable way than in the books. Muggles, not knowing any better, decide he must be mentally ill. What effects might the treatment on a psychiatric ward have for the boy-who-lived and the wizarding world?
Categories: Parental Snape > Guardian Snape, Teacher Snape > Trusted Mentor Snape Main Characters: Dumbledore, Hedwig, McGonagall, Other, Pomfrey, Ron, .Snape and Harry (required)
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Drama, Hurt/Comfort
Media Type: None
Tags: Snape-meets-Dursleys
Takes Place: None
Warnings: Neglect, Self-harm, Suicide Themes, Violence
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 40 Completed: Yes Word count: 229066 Read: 141497 Published: 04 May 2013 Updated: 21 Dec 2013
Birds by SnowWhiteOwl
Author's Notes:
I'm in the process of writing the last chapter just now - there will be forty altogether!

It took Severus the better part of an hour to explain to Harry what had happened in the chamber tucked away in the farthest corner of their quarters.

But even after Harry had learned about Fawkes' and Hedwig's timely arrival and how the Phoenix had eaten the Horcrux, he wasn't convinced that the creature was really gone for good. In the end, Severus had to promise him that he would go into his head again in order to look whether it really and truly was gone completely.

Severus almost snorted when Harry begged him to perform Legilimency on him. He must be the first one who let Severus enter his mind voluntarily. When he told the child that he would fulfil his wish but would rather wait until his head was better, Harry grudgingly agreed.

Shortly after this, Harry nodded off again and Severus cast several spells both on the sofa and on Harry himself before he dared to leave the child's side.

In the dark and gloomy chamber, Fawkes was still sitting in his pile of ash. The Potion Master retrieved a flat basin from the store-room and sat it on the ground next to the bird, eyeing the Phoenix questioningly. Fawkes seemed to understand the man's intention and bobbed his head a few times, warbling animatedly. Severus took this as an agreement and shovelled most of the ash into the basin before seating the small, ugly baby-phoenix on top of the heap.

Briefly, he thought about returning Fawkes to Dumbledore, but as he really didn't want to leave his quarters (or rather Harry) just now and since the phoenix appeared to be quite content with its current location he decided to postpone that particular task.

So he carried the basin with the phoenix into his living-room and placed it on the small table next to the sofa Harry and Hedwig occupied.
When the owl, who had been busy grooming Harry's dark mop, noticed the newcomer she raised her head and trilled excitedly.

To Severus' astonishment, Hedwig took off from her pillow, fluttered to the phoenix and started to peck the baby-phoenix' non-existent feather's. The Potion Master was about to scold with the bird for bullying Fawkes and to position her back on the couch when he noticed that the phoenix seemed to enjoy Hedwig's ministrations. He even stretched so that his fellow bird could reach his belly.

Whatever Hedwig did, the small phoenix didn't seem in danger of being eaten - quite the contrary - and Severus decided that this pecking must be a bird-thing.

#

When Harry woke up again about one and a half hours later, the Potion Master had tidied up the chamber and his bedroom where Harry had lain until just a few short hours ago, barely alive. At first, Severus didn't even notice that the boy had woken up. It was only when he heard a muffled giggle coming out of the living-room that he re-entered the room and saw the two birds in what appeared to be an animated conversation. Hedwig had returned to her earlier position next to Harry's head and the boy's eyes flew from one bird to the other, clearly amused by the beasts' antics.

"I see you have gotten yourself two very capable entertainers." Severus drawled.

Harry startled. He hadn't seen or heard the Professor entering the room.

When he had woken up he had had a hard time to recall why he was lying on a sofa in Professor Snape's living room and he had been about to panic, not knowing whether he was allowed to call for the Professor. However, just then Hedwig had made her presence known by chirping and gently pecking his face. An answering trill from the other side of his head had drawn Harry's attention to the second bird in the room and the following exchange of warblings, chirps and trills had sufficiently distracted him from any worries.

When the boy didn't respond but just eyed him like a deer caught in the headlight, Severus sighed silently. He couldn't expect Harry being completely back to normal only because the Horcrux was gone. After all what the boy had been through, it would take time for him to heal completely and to adjust to a normal life.

"I didn't mean to frighten you," he apologized, "I'm just glad to see you smile again."

Harry looked at the man shyly. "Uhm, who is this bird?" he finally asked, pointing at Fawkes.

"This is Fawkes, the phoenix I have told you about earlier. He belongs to the headmaster, but as he seems to like it here, I have decided not to return him to his owner just yet." curiously and a little bit worried, Severus watched Harry eyeing the bird with an expression he couldn't quite place. Was the boy afraid of the phoenix that had likely saved his life?

When the Professor said that this was the bird that had eaten the Horcrux, Harry looked at it far more interested than before. "It's ugly!" he finally declared, much to the Potion Master's amusement.

"Yes, well, as a phoenix, Fawkes is practically immortal. But when he gets old or when he gets caught in something that would be fatal to almost every other living being, he burst into flames and is reborn out of the ashes. It takes a few weeks for him to become his adult self again. Most of the time, phoenixes are very beautiful creatures, though."

Despite feeling a little bit apprehensive, Harry reached out his right hand for the phoenix, not quite touching it. Fawkes, apparently, didn't have any inhibitions and launched itself against the child's hand, rubbing his head against it. A small smile crossed Harry's face.

"So, Harry, do you feel up to have dinner?" Severus asked. "You don't need to eat much, but your body really needs food again."

This night, the Potion Master was able to sleep without the help of a potion for the first time in many weeks.


The next day, Madame Pomfrey and Dr Green returned. Harry was rather nervous as Professor Snape had told him that the two doctors had visited him quite often during the time he had been asleep, and apparently, he had even been at Dr Green's hospital again.

"It's good to see you awake again, Harry!" Dr Green greeted him as soon as he and the medi-witch had entered Professor's Snape quarters.

Harry just stared at them, mouth agape. He dimly remembered that the Professor had told him about wizards travelling by fireplace and that this was how Dr Green had visited them. But this had been before everything had started to become more confusing, with the Horcrux becoming stronger and making it even more difficult for Harry to focus on what was going on around him.

"I thought you had told him about the floo?" the medi-witch addressed the Potion Master reproachfully.

"Yes, but I think Mr Potter had more urgent matters to deal with than a transport system," Severus replied sarcastically. "Harry, do you remember me telling you about how wizards travel via fireplaces?"

Harry nodded. "Yes, I just forgot... I'm sorry!" He quickly added.

"There is no need to be sorry about forgetting something like this, Harry."

"Uhm, does it hurt?" Harry asked worriedly. Sure, the flames had been green, but this didn't necessarily mean that they were less painful.

"Not at all. Actually, you have already travelled by floo."

"I have?" Harry echoed.

"Yes, but admittedly, you were unconscious. It was the easiest way to get out of Hogwarts without the headmaster or anyone else being any he wiser. You and I flooed to Professor McGonagall's home and from there on, I apparated us to the hospital in Surrey."

Harry stared at the Professor in awe.

"Right, now that we have settled this, may I have a closer look at Harry?" Poppy asked, and Harry's eyes immediately flew to the Potion Master. Although it was difficult to remember everything that had happened since he had left Privet Drive, he clearly remembered the pain he had felt when the medi-witch had had 'a look at him' for the first time.

"It's all right, Harry, she won't do anything that will hurt you. And if you want her to stop, just say so or raise your hand if you think it's easier and she will stop at once." the last part was directed at the medi-witch

"Of course, dear, Professor Snape would never allow me to do anything that might hurt you. When he cast the spell to remove the Horcurx, he even stunned me and Dr Green when he thought that our interference might harm you - that means he cast a spell at us that is normally used during duels or battles that make it impossible for the person who has been hit by it to move." Madame Pomfrey explained, winking at Severus.

"Ri- right." Harry swallowed, still not feeling completely comfortable with what was about to happen. Unconsciously, he looked at his guardian longingly.

Severus inwardly sighed. How could he deny Harry anything when he looked at him like a kicked puppy? Not that he really wanted to deny the child anything, that was. "Would it be easier if I held your hand?"

The radiant smile that spread over Harry's face was answer enough.

"Right, now, if you would just sit as still as possible, it will be over in a blink." the medi-witch said after Severus had sat down next to Harry, the boy holding his hand tightly.

Harry's body became stiff. Severus tried to sooth him down by gently caressing his hand but it didn't seem to help very much.

Harry tensed when the medi-witch raised her wand and swallowed convulsively. He only hoped that it wouldn't be too bad. When Madame Pomfrey started to murmur incantations, he braced himself for the pain that was sure to come.

However, the seconds passed and nothing happened. All he felt was a gentle tickling on his skin and a slight pull on - well, he couldn't tell where, but it certainly wasn't painful. Why didn't the witch just started with the painful bit? At least it would be over then!

"Please just do it!" he burst out when he couldn't take it any more.

"It's almost over, Mr Potter," the medi-witch answered, sounding confused, "I only need the last - ah!" she seemed to examine something in front of her but Harry had no idea what it was.

"Excellent, Mr Potter, compared to last night, your condition has improved drastically, though you will need to take several potions for the next few weeks and eat as much as you can stomach - you are much too thin."

Harry looked at the medi-witch oddly. "When will it start to hurt?" he finally asked when nobody seemed to explain anything.

"Diagnostic spells don't hurt, Mr Potter, especially since I didn't cast any on your head. That will be Professor Snape's job, but I know that he has other means to make sure that the Horcrux hasn't caused any damage when it left your head."

"She is right, Harry," Professor Snape said quietly, still holding his hand.

"So, it's over?" Harry asked, and when the Professor and the medi-witch nodded simultaneously, his shoulders sagged with relief and all the tension was draining away from him.

A few minutes later, Madame Pomfrey announced that she needed to return to the hospital-wing since some twins had apparently managed to exchange arms against legs on several people's bodies (including those of their own).

Dr Green seated himself on an armchair across from Harry and didn't even blink when a tray with biscuits and tea for two appeared on the table in front of him. He exchanged a quick glance with the Potion Master who nodded briefly.

"I need to take care of a few things now but I will just be in the next room. If you need me or if you start to feel unwell, you are to call me immediately. All right?" Severus looked at Harry searchingly. The boy had gone along well with the doctor before things had gotten downhill, but it hadn't escaped his attention that Harry wasn't comfortable with the idea that he had been at the hospital in Surrey again while being asleep.

"Uh, okay," Harry answered, though he sounded unsure.

Severus had to force himself to leave the room. He knew that Harry was in no danger, neither by the Horcrux nor by Dr Green, and the child needed to learn to express his fears and wishes.

"So, Harry, how are you, now that the Horcrux is gone?" Dr Green, having decided to keep this conversation as light and pleasant as possible, asked cheerfully.


"Good evening, Minerva," Severus greeted the woman when she stepped out of the fireplace.

"Hello, Severus, and hello, Harry." Minerva answered, sweeping a few specks of soot from her robes and smiling at the small boy who was sitting on the sofa, watching his owl and - was this Fawkes? - having a rather noisy discussion.

"I would never have thought that I would say this about your quarters, but Gryffindor tower usually is quieter than this - what's going on, Severus? And why is the headmaster's phoenix here?"

"Poppy hasn't told you?" Severus asked surprised.

"She told me that you had managed to destroy this abomination but she didn't say anything about Fawkes."

"I will tell you later, then. I need to bring him back to the old coot now. That's why I have called you, actually. Do you mind keeping an eye on Harry while I'm away? Normally, I would ask Ophi but I don't want to leave Harry with only a house elf just yet."

"Of course I don't mind!" Minerva answered briskly, and with a wink she added: "He's one of my lions and I have to make sure you haven't yet turned him into a little snake, after all"

"I seriously doubt that any lion can change so much for the better that he will be accepted in the house of snakes - even if this particular lion has stopped trying to run his head against the wall." he smirked.

It took Minerva a few moments to understand what Severus was referring to, but once she had, she slapped him and hissed: "Severus Snape! You don't make fun about something like this!" Though from the slight twitches of her mouth it was obvious that she had to try very hard to stifle a laughter.

The Potion Master raised an eyebrow."If you think so..." he trailed off. "Well, I will be off, then - Harry?"

"Uhm, yes, Professor?" Harry answered nervously. He hoped Professor McGonagall hadn't come to take him away from the man. He knew he was better and everything, and perhaps the headmaster had approved of him returning to school - which would be great! The thing was, Harry didn't want to leave the Professor. Sure, the bedroom he had shared with Ron and the other boys and the common room had been nice, too, but he would rather stay with Professor Snape. The man was nice and he cared for Harry and he just felt safe!

"I need to pay a visit to the headmaster now in order to return Fawkes. Professor McGonagall will stay with you while I'm away. Is this all right with you?"

"Fawkes? But..."

"I'm sure Fawkes will come to visit you and Hedwig, Harry," Severus, having seen the boy's crestfallen face, amended.

Harry hesitated for a few moment. He really liked the little phoenix - even if he was ugly - but, after all, Fawkes belonged to the headmaster and it wouldn't be fair to just keep him. If someone would take Hedwig away from him he would be really angry, too, and Harry didn't think it was a good idea to annoy the headmaster. "Well, I think it's OK then..." he finally conceded.

#

Ten minutes later, Severus had passed the gargoyle and had just raised his hand in order to knock on the door when he heard Albus' voice.

"Come in, Severus!"

"Good evening, headmaster," Severus tried his best to sound polite, although inwardly he was seething. He resolved to check himself for every tracing- and monitoring-spell he knew as soon as he was back in his quarters. Because how else was it possible that Albus had known who was on the other side of the door before he even had the chance to knock and without him uttering a word?

"What can I do for you, my boy - ah, Fawkes, there you are!" Albus exclaimed when his eyes fell on the basin with the phoenix and its ash that Severus was carrying.

The Potion Master deposited Fawkes, who had started to trill and chirp excitedly when he had seen his wizard, on the headmaster's desk. Not waiting for an invitation, he proceeded to sit down on one of the chairs in front of the desk.

Albus patted the bird affectionately. "How is it that Fawkes burnt well before his time? And why did you have him in the first place?" he finally asked.

Severus, who had watched Dumbledore carefully, couldn't detect any signs of anger or reservations about him having the phoenix in the old man's voice. But since Albus was almost as good at Occlumency as Severus himself this didn't necessarily mean anything.

"I know what caused your pet-phoenix to burn. I will tell you if you provide me with some answers about its disappearance." Severus offered.

Dumbledore eyed him shrewdly. "What do you want to know?"

"Well, to start with, when did Fawkes vanish? And did you notice anything unusual in his behaviour before he left? Did anything happen before or after he disappeared?"

Dumbledore contemplated Severus' questions for a few moments before he replied. "Well, my boy, I don't know why you have suddenly taken such an interest in Fawkes, but you will surely have your reasons for asking these questions."

Severus inclined his head but didn't say anything and just waited for the headmaster to continue, looking straight into the other man's eyes.

Dumbledore seemed a bit disconcerted by the Potion Master's taciturnity. Severus could feel him trying to invade his mind, but he didn't looked away. "If you don't mind, I would prefer a verbal answer."

Dumbledore had the decency to blush. "Well, my boy, I'm not sure whether it is this that you want to know but there did occur something odd just before Fawkes left. I don't know where he met it, but a few days ago he brought an owl with him from one of his outings. She wasn't the first animal he ever brought, but this time, it was different. He even allowed it to sit on his perch. He has never done so with anyone before!"

The headmaster shook his head, obviously still rattled at his pet-phoenix' unusual behaviour. Well, for someone who believed in prophecies it might indeed be shocking when the mythical creature one kept as a pet changed its habits.

"You know, animals have the tendency to mate once they have found a suitable partner. Perhaps your phoenix has a penchant for white owls." Severus replied dryly, rolling his eyes.

"But it wasn't like this!" Albus protested. He cut himself short, though. "How do you know that the owl was white?"

Severus cursed himself. Ten years of almost no spying-duties had left their mark. "I'm rather certain that I know the identity of said owl. But please continue, I didn't mean to interrupt you."

For a few moments, Albus seemed to consider whether he should demand answers before continuing with his tale, but in the end he decided that it wasn't worth the trouble. "Well, then. I remember that this owl behaved rather strangely, though I didn't pay much attention to it. She was hardly a threat, and Fawkes would have recognized an animagus."

"What did she do?" Severus asked curiously. Had Hedwig felt that something was seriously wrong with Harry? Or had it simply been the fact that she hadn't been able to visit her master when he had been under the influence of the Draught of Living Death?

The Potion Master had to admit that he had somehow forgotten about the owl during the last few weeks, and the strengthened wards he had erected to protect the (at that time) completely defenceless boy surely had made it very difficult for the owl to gain entrance to the dungeons by her usual means.

"If I remember correctly, she was quite restless. She repeatedly urged Fawkes to follow her somewhere outside and when they were here, I had to put up silencing charms if I wanted to get any work done. However, this didn't really bother me. It was yesterday evening that I started to worry. Suddenly, it was Fawkes who became restless. I have not seen him this agitated since that time when James Potter and his little gang tried to abduct him..." he trailed of and looked at Severus piercingly.

"Does this have anything to do with Harry, Severus?" Dumbledore asked sharply.

"I don't think you are quite finished yet, Albus," the Potion Master replied quietly.

"If something has happened to the boy or if the Horcrux in his scar has caused any more damage you need to tell me, Severus." Dumbledore answered, equally quietly.

"The boy is fine, Albus. However, I have decided that it might be better for him to leave Hogwarts."

"Leave?" Albus said blankly, "but it's not safe, Severus!"

"If you tell me about what happened yesterday evening, I will tell you about Harry and my plans regarding him."

For a brief moment, Dumbledore looked furious - which wasn't very surprising, Severus thought, as normally, it was Albus himself who manipulated people into doing what he wanted them to do.

It didn't take long until he started to speak again, though, his voice sounding sorrowful. "I wish you would trust me, my boy. I only do what must me done, Severus. No child deserves Harry's fate, but for the greater good, sacrifices have to be made. I care about you, child, and it pains me to think that Harry might hurt you, even if he doesn't mean to."

The Potion Master listened to the headmaster's words, an unreadable expression on his face.

Albus sighed. "Fawkes kept vanishing and reappearing - I had to deploy several 'Aguamentis' to keep the office from catching fire. I don't remember how long this had been going on when he landed next to the owl, who then proceeded to perch herself on Fawkes's back. I thought it would attack him, the way it clung to his neck, but before I could do anything the two of them had vanished again. They didn't come back." Dumbledore finished and gently stroked the phoenix's breast.

Severus' thoughts were racing. So it had been been Fawkes who had somehow sensed that Harry was on the brink of dying. This didn't explain why he had come just in time to save the boy, though. It wasn't in the nature of these creatures to save random human beings. But then, not every phoenix was pestered by an owl for days on end to do something about said human - or rather, the lack of access the owl had to its owner.

While Albus had nodded towards the window when he had told him how Hedwig and Fawkes had repeatedly left the office, the Potion Master was quite sure that they hadn't headed to the grounds, the forest or the mountains but to the dungeons, trying to find a way through the wards. This explained the various attempts to breach the wards of his quarters Severus had felt during the last few days. Of course, he had thought it was the headmaster, but how on earth should he have known that Harry's owl had hired a phoenix to help her with her quest?

Of course, this left the question why the phoenix hadn't employed his rather unique way of travelling by vanishing and reappearing in a burst of flames earlier. The Potion Master could only assume that it had something to do both with Dumbledore - who was, after all, the wizard Fawkes had attached himself to - not approving of (or at least knowing about) the bird's intention, and, of course, with the lack of urgency.

But then Harry's condition had become critical and obviously the phoenix had sensed it - however he had done this, Severus didn't know enough about magical creatures to answer that question. Perhaps it had been Hedwig and the bond she shared with Harry that had allowed Fawkes both to perceive Harry's state and to overcome the wards. Which would explain why he had taken the owl with him, as the Potion Master had never before heard about a phoenix playing taxi.

Dumbledore cleared his throat. "So, does this answer your questions?"

Severus thought about it for a moment. "Yes, it does," he finally replied, having decided that it was time to reveal some more information about Harry and what had happened in his quarters the night before. "I believe you had a few questions yourself?" he prompted.

"What happened, Severus? How is Harry, why do you want him to leave the castle and what does Fawkes have to do with all of this? Why-"

"If you would grand me the right to speak I might actually be able to answer some of your questions, old man!" Severus snapped, not caring that he had interrupted the headmaster.

Dumbledore inclined his had in acknowledgement. "Your are right, my boy."

"As I have already told you, Harry is fine - better than he has ever been since he came to Hogwarts, and probably even longer. The Horcrux is gone and your phoenix did its share to make sure that Harry actually survived the destruction of that being."

"It's gone?" Albus asked, gobsmacked.

"Yes."

"But- are you sure? And Harry is still alive?"

"Yes, Albus, I'm sure about both of it. The Horcrux is gone and Harry is still alive. Now if you would let me continue, I need to go back to my quarters some time today."

Albus nodded meekly. Obviously, the man was in shock.

"The owl that took shelter in your office was Hedwig, Harry's pet. Apparently, she somehow managed to convince Fawkes to keep an eye on Harry and his condition, she can be very persistent.

As for Harry leaving Howarts, well, I haven't yet talked to the boy but I believe that after everything he has been through he will need some time to recover fully - as far as this is possible. I highly doubt that he will emerge from everything he has been through completely unscathed. All the drugs they gave him in the muggle-hospital in addition to being possessed by a part of the soul of the vilest wizard of the last century will leave their mark on him."

"Anyway, by the time Harry will be healthy enough to attend school again he will already have missed too much to catch up, so he will need to repeat first year anyway. I don't know whether Harry will feel comfortable enough to come back next year, though. If he decides to attend a different school, I will support him - and nothing you do can change this, Albus." Severus stated firmly.

Dumbledore needed several minutes to comprehend everything he had just been told. Finally, he asked very quietly: "How did you do it? Destroying the Horcrux, I mean?"

Severus contemplated the question. How much should he tell the man? He was confident that it had indeed been the Horcrux (and not Harry himself) Albus had wanted to kill. To him, Harry's death had merely been an inconvenience that couldn't be avoided. Sad, but necessary. Now that the Horcrux had been destroyed, it was improbable that the man would try something even if he was presented with an opportunity to do so.

However, the Potion Master didn't feel comfortable with the idea of telling the headmaster more than absolutely necessary. The man's refusal to even look for other possibilities to kill the Horcrux - without killing the child - had eroded his trust in his mentor.

"I contacted a very old friend of mine who his proficient in mind magic. Against her, I am an amateur. Then I had several discussions both with muggle and magical people. Our first attempt to force the Horcrux to leave Harry's body failed - though in retrospect, I'm not surprised about this. It simply would have been too easy, even though it was something the Dark Lord would never have thought about.

The second plan was far more riskier. But it worked."

Albus smiled at him sadly. "I don't believe you will tell me more about the nature of those plans?"

"You ordered the death of the child, Albus. You didn't even try to save him."

"I know, my boy. I know." the headmaster looked older and more tired than the Potion Master had ever seen him before.

A short while later, Severus left the office, leaving behind a man who knew that he had a very long way to go before his youngest staff-member, his former student and the only follower of Voldemort who ever had the courage and strength to turn away from the dark, face his sins and atone for them, would trust him again.

The End.
End Notes:
Next Chapter: Travel preparations


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=2946