From Kinship to Family by Lady Lanera
Summary: Sequel to From Tragedy to Treasure. Harry thought his second year at Hogwarts would be normal with just the everyday worries of classes and Quidditch. However, he soon finds out that this year will be unlike any other year before.
Categories: Parental Snape > Biological Father Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Sinistra, Tobias Snape
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Action/Adventure, Family
Media Type: None
Tags: Alternate Universe
Takes Place: 2nd summer, 2nd Year
Warnings: Romance/Het, Violence
Challenges: None
Series: Tragedy
Chapters: 24 Completed: Yes Word count: 126307 Read: 79651 Published: 08 Jun 2013 Updated: 25 Jul 2013
Maternal Differences by Lady Lanera
Author's Notes:
Lots of info in this chapter, and it'll sound a bit jumbled but that's due to lots of actions needed to advance the plot. It is a long chapter, but I tried not to leave us with a cliffhanger at the end. A huge thanks to DaughterofAres who always keeps on me to update and points out any issues. :) And another huge thanks to all of you, my dear readers. Enjoy.

Several hours later, Snape groaned quietly as he came around. He rubbed his eyes for a few moments, blinked a couple of times, and then sat up slowly. He glanced around the dark and unfamiliar sitting room, trying to regain his bearings. Everything quickly rushed to the forefront of his mind again. Aurora. He had tried to find her through their accidental link. Her captor wanted something her mother had. But what was it? He shook his head to push away the memory of Aurora's screams. He needed a clear mind if he was to find her.

Not wasting any more time, he pushed himself up off the sofa he had been resting on. Where was everyone? Harry? His dad? Mrs. Andrews? He frowned at seeing a light underneath a closed door. With his wand sliding easily into his hand at the ready, he slowly approached the swinging door and pushed it open. His brows instantly furrowed in confusion.

"Full house. I win again," laughed Mrs. Andrews, sitting with Harry and Tobias at her kitchen table. "I never would have thought I'd see the day where you'd have gotten so bad at poker, Tobias."

"Ah, hell," Tobias grumbled before he tossed his cards down in frustration. "Not all of us ended up like you, able to bluff our way out of things, Lizzie."

"Dad?" Snape said extremely confused. Just how long had he been out? He caught Tobias's blue eyes dart to him followed by Harry's green. What was going on?

"There you are, dear. Good to see that you're up and about. Sit. We've been waiting for you," Mrs. Andrews explained kindly, not even bothering to look at him.

Snape slowly staggered towards the opened chair in clear puzzlement. He couldn't have been asleep long enough for Tobias and Mrs. Andrews to be on first name basis joking around with one another like old friends. He rubbed his face quickly to check his stubble before his frown deepened. He was still somewhat clean shaven. So he hadn't been asleep that long.

"What's going on?" His black eyes darted back to Harry who was quiet. Was he still asleep? Was this all a dream or something?

"Some coffee for you. Now don't worry. I made sure not to add the cream or sugar this time. It's black. Just the way you like it, dear." Mrs. Andrews slowly pushed a cup and plate full of food further in front of him.

"I don't understand."

"Yes, that much is clear by the look on your face." She gave him a faint smile. "I'll explain. You just eat up. You're going to need to keep your strength up now. What with all that extra workout you're going to get trying to find her. Eat. It'll do you some good. You're much too peakish as it is frankly."

"Who are you?"

"You know who I am, Severus. I'm your neighbor, Mrs. Lizabeth Andrews. We've been neighbors for—oh dear me—since your second year of teaching, I believe? Or was it your first?" She shrugged, drinking her cup of tea.

"You two know each other?" He glanced between her and his dad. They seemed awfully cozy with one another he noted.

"Yeah. We do, son." Tobias sighed heavily. "She's yer godmother and El's best friend."

His eyes darted back to Mrs. Andrews. Memories of the kind elderly woman flashed behind his eyes as he recalled the majority of his meetings with her since he had moved there. She had always kept an eye out for him, but he had tallied it up as her being a good neighbor. She was his godmother?

"You lived out here first," he stated flatly. Had everything in his life been a tangle web of deception? Was anything real?

"I did. Lived out here since you were about five or six," she replied, nodding slowly.

"I don't ever recall you and my mother together."

"You wouldn't. You were just a few hours old when I met you, Severus."

"Convenient."

"Perhaps." She shrugged again. "I told your mother to leave Tobias that day in the hospital after she had you. That he would only hurt her in the end. Your mother being the stubborn woman she was didn't listen. Instead, she told me that we were no longer friends and to leave."

"And what? I'm supposed to believe you now?"

"No." She smiled at him. "A healthy dose of skepticism is good. Keeps a person on their toes."

"How much of my childhood was real? Answer me that."

"I can't, Severus. I wasn't there for it."

"You told my mother to leave him, and she didn't. If you were truly her friend like you claim—"

"I did check up on her, dear. A few days after she brought you home in fact. I knew I had overstepped my bounds with her. Knocked on the door. Last row house on Spinner's End, of course. Next to the dirty river. Heard you screaming your heart out upstairs. Knocked again. Thinking that she couldn't hear me over you. Tobias answered. Or I should say someone who looked like him did. Snapped at me to leave his family alone. That my kind wasn't wanted there. I was dressed like a Muggle of course. So he shouldn't really have known. Either way, I told him to tell her that I was sorry for the other day. He slammed the door in my face. I turned to leave and saw her in one of the upstairs' rooms, looking out the window with you against her chest." She sighed, pinching her mouth together for a moment. "I left and went to Dumbledore with my suspicions seconds later. Told him that something didn't feel right."

Snape frowned. Her body language showed complete honesty. Her eyes even said it. So, either she was a very good Occlumens or he was slipping.

"Dumbledore said he'd check it out. I took his word for it—had no reason not to mind you—and went home. Two days later, four goons broke into my house. I've no way of knowing for certain who they were, but they attacked me. Told me to stay away from your mother. I went back to Dumbledore after they left. Told him about it. He said nothing of importance. Just a thank you and sent me on my way again. I sent your mum an owl that night, asking if she was all right. The owl came back empty handed. No reply. I went to the Aurors then with my suspicions. Told them I was a Seer and that I just knew something was off. I asked them to investigate it, just to make sure she was all right. Later that night, the goons came back. One of them forced a potion down my throat while the other held me down. My magic's not worked right since. Get flashes sometimes, though. Dumbledore told me to drop it, then. Before I got her killed. So I did, Severus. Kept tabs on you, though. As best as I could from a distance."

"Dumbledore knew?"

"Oh, Dumbledore knows a great deal more than he lets on, dear. We're all pawns to him. A means to an end. Your mother would tell you that if she were here. She didn't trust him any farther than she could spit. For good reason, too. When Dumbledore found out Riddle's interest in her, Dumbledore wanted Eileen to play along." Mrs. Andrews smiled, laughing. "Your mum's never been one for rules. Society's or other people's rules, though. So she told him just where to shove it. And Dumbledore just didn't like that, of course. Now, don't get me wrong. He does have his good side. As long as you play the dutiful pawn to him. Anything else just doesn't fit in with his brilliant schemes. Likely lost himself after his sister's death, I'd imagine. Guilt does do horrible things to a person."

Snape's fist clenched atop of the table. First, he learned that Dumbledore knew that his father was alive and well after being held for years. Now, this? What was next?

"What else do you know about him? What else is he hiding?"

"I couldn't say, dear." She sighed and shrugged. "The only thing I've noticed over the years is that where Tom Riddle is concerned, Dumbledore will do anything to rid the world of him. To Dumbledore and likely Riddle himself, they're playing Wizarding Chess with our lives."

"What about Aurora? What have you seen with her?"

"Nothing. She's hazy for some reason. I haven't gotten a reading on her. I only knew about your link with her because of the red thread."

"Red thread?" He frowned. "What red thread?"

She laughed softly, shaking her head. "A Chinese proverb, dear."

He thought for a moment before realizing what she meant. Knowing the proverb only because he had heard Lily once say it, he recited the proverb by heart, "An invisible red thread connects those destined to meet, regardless of time, place, or circumstances. The thread may stretch or tangle, but never break." He watched her nod slowly. "You see this?" He looked at her as if she had grown a second head.

"Oh, Severus." She patted his arm and smiled kindly at him. "I see how you are around her. Trust me. The thread's there. Now, eat up. Won't do her any good if you're too weak to concentrate."

He frowned but slowly started to eat one of the cucumber sandwiches. His mind digested every bit of information she had told him. It was like a riddle with the answer staring him right in the face. He tried to connect all the dots that she had supplied for him, including Rayne and his dad's earlier comments a few moments later.

A young Eileen Prince met Tom Riddle when he visited with Eileen's mother. Did the dark wizard see something in Eileen when he was there, something her son couldn't? He had to. Why else would Riddle be so interested in her? She would have been a child, not of age yet since she was still at the manor. So, then, what was it? Was it just that she was a Prince? Maybe Eileen didn't play ball with Riddle either—to use one of his father's asinine phrases. She clearly didn't with Dumbledore, after all. So, then, Riddle set his sights on Severus, guided him into joining with certain events. Tobias and Rayne had mentioned that it was likely would-be Death Eaters who threw Tobias in and left him in the tunnels. With the real Tobias out of the way, Riddle could insert someone else. A little Polyjuice and good acting, he'd have complete access to the Princes, and no one would know because Eileen cut all ties off with the Wizarding World except her best friend. Mrs. Andrews started sniffing around, though, and it made Riddle nervous. So he had her dealt with. Forced her to drink a potion that neutralized her magic. Same potion that was used on Eileen and the same one that a Death Eater tried to use on Aurora.

Dumbledore knew it all, it seemed, but he wanted Riddle dealt with. So, he let events play out, sat aside and let Riddle make his move. Did that mean it was Dumbledore's move, then? No. Riddle was already making his next move—gathering more followers and leading an either complacent or clueless Lucius to the diary—before Dumbledore could. So, where did this Project Unicorn mess fall in at?

The balding man who was holding Aurora captive said that Dumbledore was the one who signed off on it. What was Project Unicorn? And what was the thing that the man wanted so badly? For that matter, why had the man taken the other Pureblood women? What was he doing with them? Every time he thought he'd have something figured out, ten more questions would pop up.

The most troubling question of all, though, was, how did anyone know about his house. He hadn't even told Dumbledore about it. Only he and Mrs. Andrews knew. He glanced at the elderly woman and frowned. She certainly hadn't seemed concerned about the people having kidnapped Aurora. That wasn't a godmotherly thing, was it? But then again, she was the one who gave him the idea about his link with Aurora. What would be the point in telling him that if she was in league with the man who took Aurora? There wouldn't be one he gathered. Nothing made sense anymore. He had to be missing something, some big piece of the puzzle he was overlooking. But what?

"Where do I even start?" Snape grumbled before he heard himself speaking aloud.

"We've been doing that for you, son," Tobias answered quietly. "Looked up all the old abandoned military barracks on a map. Got a listing of twenty-seven here in the kingdom."

"Twenty-seven?" He frowned, shaking his head. Even with Apparation, that would still take too long to search. He couldn't waste any time because Aurora didn't have any to begin with. He thought back on what he saw briefly before the link took over. It looked medical in nature. That would cut some of the twenty-seven down likely, but it was still too big of a search for his liking. "He wanted her mother to return something. Something she took."

"All right. How about we go see her mother, then?" Tobias offered with a shrug.

"I don't know where her parents live. It's a place called Windsor, I remember, but she's never said where that was exactly. And I doubt it's the one that's on the map."

"Got any method of contacting anyone who would know, son? Secretly, I mean?"

Snape shook his head.

"Not unless I wish to return to Hogwarts," he answered with a sigh.

"What about Mum's mirror?" Harry suggested helpfully. "She talked to Professor McGonagall with it earlier when you were out shopping. Course she didn't know I was outside the door, though."

Snape's fork clattered onto his plate. His black eyes instantly darted to his son. He had to have heard Harry wrong.

"What?" the twelve-year-old asked, blinking in confusion before a light bulb went on in his head. "Oh. Well, how was I supposed to know she was talking to Professor McGonagall? It's not like I did it on purpose, I mean."

"What part of 'Don't contact anyone' did you two not understand?" Snape growled.

"Hey! I didn't talk to her, Dad. Mum did," Harry argued. "Besides, Professor McGonagall thought we were all dead anyway. They were like crying and stuff with each other. Mum was for sure. I could see her through the crack in the door."

"How much of their conversation did you overhear?" Snape's eyes narrowed on his son.

"Enough to know that Professor McGonagall thinks of Mum as her daughter or something. Why?" Snape didn't reply right away so Harry tried a different approach. "Dad, what is it?"

"Why did she think we were dead?"

"Um, something about our rooms being destroyed, I think." Harry thought hard for a few moments before he nodded enthusiastically. "Yeah, that was what it was. The dungeons ended up underwater due to a window being shattered. Mum's rooms were destroyed, too, but I didn't hear how. Mum cut her off and said we were fine. I can't be sure, but I think Mum told her about the headmaster being, you know, possessed. Professor McGonagall said she'd keep an eye out. Then, they sort of talked about you."

"Me?"

"Yeah." Harry shrugged, glancing down and moving a few of his cards.

"What did they say?"

"Son," Tobias warned. "That's dangerous waters you're treading in now."

"Harry, answer me." Snape brushed off his dad's warnings. He needed to know if he'd be made the fool yet again by a woman he cared for—the constant fear that nagged him inside.

"It was nothing bad, Dad. Just, well, Professor McGonagall wanted to know if Mum had told you something yet. Mum said that it was nothing. That it was better not to rush and tell you because she didn't know for certain herself and it'd likely ruin the relationship. McGonagall told her it was important to tell you, though."

"Tell me what, Harry?"

"Beats me, Dad. I thought it was that she was pregnant, like Grandpa shouted after you. But when I talked to her about it, to see if that was what it was, she kissed my forehead and said that it wasn't possible." The young boy shrugged. "I don't know."

Snape frowned and nodded slowly. He didn't want to consider anymore if she was pregnant or not. Everything was still too fresh in his mind. So, he set aside that question of what she was hiding. He needed to get her back first. Then, they could deal with whatever it was.

"What are you thinking, son?" Tobias asked quietly.

"Either one of two things happened. Either someone else was listening in to their conversation and found out where we were. Or they were here the whole time waiting for one of us to make a mistake so they could grab her."

"Only way to know which it was for certain is to talk to the thugs who took her."

Snape nodded slowly. That was one way. People, however, had a nasty habit of lying when their lives were on the line. He knew that from experience.

"Do you remember where she put the mirror, Harry?"

"No." Harry's green eyes flitted briefly over to Tobias. "Grandpa found me outside the door and pulled me away."

"And I'd have done it sooner, too, if I'd have known," Tobias gruffly stated. "Ain't no good ever come from snooping in things you ought not to be snooping in. That's how fights happen usually. Cause someone misunderstands and blows it out of proportion."

"We need to find that mirror," Snape announced.

"Thought you didn't want to go back to Hogwarts, son?"

"I don't." Snape's frown deepened as his mood darkened. "But I need to know the location of Windsor. If I can find out what it is that her mother took and what this is all about, maybe we can find where she is and bring her home." It sounded good in theory at least, and it kept his mind busy until he could try to use the link again, which he guessed would be sometime tomorrow.

"All right. To the cottage, then, son?"

Snape nodded. To the cottage.

~FKTF~

After a half an hour of searching, they finally found the blasted mirror. It was underneath her pillow of all things. Snape assumed she had hid it there quickly with little thought. His fingers curled around the handle before he held it out and waited. He could feel his father's and Harry's eyes on him. At the sight of the flickering reflection, he knew the mirror was making the connection with its other half. He remained perfectly stone faced when he saw McGonagall appear in the mirror.

"Severus?" Her green eyes glanced around in confusion. "Where's Aurora?"

"Indisposed," he replied curtly. "I need to know where Windsor is. I need to speak with her mother." A brief flicker of contempt flashed across her face at the mentioning of Aurora's mother.

"Why?"

"That's for me to know. Now, tell me where Windsor is."

"No."

"McGonagall, I don't have time for your games," he growled. "Tell me where Windsor is." He frowned when he heard her sharp exhale followed by her eyes widening in horror. "What?"

"That's why—oh, Severus," McGonagall whispered, clapping a hand to her mouth. "That's why they were released, isn't it? They have her, don't they?"

"What on earth are you talking about?" he snapped, annoyed with her reaction. He couldn't be that out of practice that she could read him like a book and know that Aurora was missing.

"The kidnapped women were found earlier. Andromeda, Narcissa, Layla, Molly, and the others, I mean. They were found in an abandoned medical facility of some kind near Surrey. The Aurors found them just a few hours ago." She closed her eyes for a few moments and drew in a slow breath before she spoke again. "Your mother was among them, Severus."

He felt his dad take a step towards him instantly. However, there was a new roaring in Snape's ears. His mother had been one of the kidnapped women? He forced back his emotions. He needed to be calm and collected. Emotions did little good right now anyway.

"Alive?" he asked as if he was merely asking about the weather.

"Yes. Barely, though, Severus." McGonagall's eyes softened on him. "Pomfrey's working on her as we speak. She believes that in time Eileen will make a full recovery." She gave him a sympathetic look. "Your mother's a strong woman, Severus. She endured hell and then some it seems. She was one of the lucky ones."

"How many survived?"

"According to Molly, forty Pureblood women were taken in all. Of that forty, seven survived."

"They were all tortured?"

"In some way or another, yes."

He heard his dad's low growl as the man stood next to him. It was getting harder to keep back his emotions. His mother, Narcissa, Molly Weasley for Merlin's sake—all of them tortured.

"Kingsley stated that they all look like they were experimented on or something. Judging by what I saw with your mother and Narcissa, it seemed as if someone was trying to dissect them. Their bodies are littered with lacerations—surgical in nature Poppy said actually."

"That bastard's gonna get his balls forced down his—" Tobias snarled before he stopped suddenly at the sight of Snape's harsh look.

"Agreed, Tobias," McGonagall replied, gaining Snape's attention again.

"I need the location of Windsor, Minerva. Now."

"You won't go there alone. I'm coming with you."

"Absolutely not, McGonagall," he growled, not liking her insinuation. Of course he wouldn't be alone. He'd have his dad and son with him.

"Meeting Syra alone to inform her about Aurora is not wise, Severus."

"Regardless of her natural maternal instincts, I need information that she has."

McGonagall's green eyes darkened slightly. "That bitch has never given a damn about her daughter, Severus, despite of how much Aurora tried to please her. She has no maternal instincts in her."

He raised an eyebrow. Was Aurora's mother that bad? He had heard Aurora complain about her a few times before, but he had always thought it was just the usual mother-daughter issues.

"I'm coming with, and that's final, Severus Snape," McGonagall stated with a tone of finality. "I'll meet you in the Hog's Head in two minutes." The connection then crackled before the stern witch vanished from the mirror.

"Hog's Head it is, then," Tobias said with a nod. "Probably should hold back your tongue it sounds like, son. This Syra lady doesn't sound all that . . . polite."

Snape glanced at his dad and shook his head. This was not the way he wanted to meet the woman. He put a hand on his son's shoulder before he glanced down at the twelve-year-old. The boy hadn't taken well to Apparating the last time they tried it. Perhaps if he prepared Harry this time, it might help.

"Harry, put your arms around me." He closed his eyes briefly at the feel of his son's embrace, returning it gently. "You might feel ill again after we reappear," he explained quietly. "I apologize if you do." He felt Harry nod stiffly against him. "I'll try to make it easier on you this time, all right?"

"Dad?" Harry glanced up at him. "Let's just find Mum, all right?"

Tobias chuckled mirthfully before he caught Snape's eyes and nodded to him. A moment later, they turned on the spot and Disapparated with two identical pops. When they reappeared outside of the Hog's Head, Snape helped steady Harry and waited patiently for the boy to breathe in and out.

"Are you well, Harry?"

"Yeah, Dad. It didn't suck that bad this time." They, then, walked into the establishment.

"As you can see, Minerva, I'm not alone," Snape dryly stated when they reached her.

"Yes, I see that. You're still not going without me, though, Severus. I want to find this bastard as much as you do. And if Syra is the key to it, then we'll go together."

He opened his mouth to argue with her, but promptly closed it. It wouldn't do any good, and it'd only waste more time. Slowly inclining his head, he yielded to her. She seemed to have history with Syra. So, it might help, even if it was clearly a history full of contempt.

"Windsor is along the North Sea. In Northumberland, I believe. I'll take you to it." She held her hand out. Tobias, Harry, and Snape quickly grabbed a hold of her before they Disapparated with her.

~FKTF~

Harry glanced around the large foyer, eyeing his dad every now and then. His dad clearly was uncomfortable as they waited for the house elf to retrieve the lady of the house. Of course Harry didn't blame him. The whole place made him uncomfortable, too. He felt like he had just stepped inside one of the vaults in Gringotts. Who would have known that his mum came from money?

At the sound of heels clicking against the steps, Harry glanced up the marble staircase and resisted the urge to take a step backwards. A pale, tall, golden blond elegantly walked down the stairs towards them, her cold blue eyes resting on them.

"To what do I owe the pleasure of this little visit?" the woman asked, forcing a polite and thin smile to her face.

"Your daughter's been kidnapped, Syra," McGonagall stated bluntly.

"Ah." Syra walked past them, motioning to follow as she led them into a large drawing room. "Frankly, I've already been informed of that, Minerva." She held up an envelope that she had grabbed from the coffee table. "Received her molar—left one I believe it is—by owl just a few hours ago."

Harry stared at the woman in disbelief. He knew his dad guarded himself closely, too, but this woman—there were no words for it. There was no remorse, no fear, no sadness. Just utter emotionless.

"The man who took her is willing to exchange your daughter if you return something to him," his dad spoke politely. "Something he stated you stole from him, Mrs. Sinistra."

"Refer to me as Syra if you must, Mr. Snape," she replied shortly with a look of annoyance. "Otherwise, I'd prefer you don't speak to me at all." The woman then pursed her lips before continuing. "I read that as well, however."

Harry frowned, wondering how she knew his dad's surname.

"What is it that he's after?"

"Something of which I don't have anymore," she answered flatly. "And even if I did, I wouldn't ever hand it over to him."

"He will continue to torture your daughter until he gets whatever it is he wants."

"Yes. I'm aware of that."

Harry could see what Professor McGonagall had meant by saying that Syra didn't care about his mum. She didn't seem at all bothered by her daughter being kidnapped and tortured. It was as if they were talking about the Chudley Cannons or something.

"What does he want?" his dad repeated, forcing the politeness now.

"As I said before, Mr. Snape, something I do not have."

"What was it?"

"You're a bit slow, aren't you? Of course I can't blame you. It's all because of your breed."

Harry clenched his jaw, recalling his Aunt Marge saying the same thing once. This woman was horrible. How could she be his mum's mother? She was worse than Lily and Aunt Petunia combined.

"Now, listen here, lass. You can insult me all ya like—"

"Oh, don't think I won't, Mr. Snape Senior." The woman's smile widened just a bit. "Now, then, I do believe we all have better things to do. So, I'll have a house elf show you to the door."

"You care so little about your daughter—" his dad growled.

"And here my daughter claimed you were a smart man, Mr. Snape," she replied coldly, her blue eyes flashing dangerously towards him. "I've yet to see evidence of that, but no matter." She gave a short laugh. "My daughter will survive. I've ensured that."

"So you gave him whatever it was, then?" Harry blurted out before he winced when he realized his mistake. He didn't dare glance at his dad.

"No, Mister Potter. Had you been paying attention, you'd have heard me say that twice now."

"Then, how?"

"My daughter may consider you kin, but I assure you that I don't."

"Your daughter will die if you don't give it to him, Syra. And your grandchild as well."

Harry watched Syra's eyes dart to his dad before he heard her scoff.

"My, how desperate you are," she drawled. Her icy blue eyes narrowed on him. "Little word of advice, Mr. Snape. Don't tell obvious lies. They'll always burn you in the end."

"It's not a lie. Your daughter is pregnant."

Harry did everything in his power not to look shocked. His dad needed the woman to believe it. So, he nodded slowly just in case she'd look for confirmation.

"Impossible," spat Syra, her icy exterior melting away just slightly.

"No. It's not. She's pregnant with my child. Now, are you going to let her and your grandchild die?" his dad asked firmly, standing his ground with her.

Syra stared him down before she scoffed again. "You're lying."

"Give me Veritaserum, then. I'll take three drops worth and tell you the same thing."

"It's not possible, Snape."

"Oh? And just why is that, Syra?" his dad growled, taking a step towards her.

"Because Aurora can't have children," she answered impassively. "She's physically unable to according to the healers."

"What?"

"You heard me. She's not able to have children." Her eyes flashed coldly at him. "Next time you decide to lie, do your homework first. Now, kindly get the hell out of my home."

"Syra, you cold bitch," snapped McGonagall. "Your daughter is being tortured as we speak. Whatever it is he wants, give it to him."

"As I said before, McGonagall, I don't have it anymore."

"Then, fake it! Don't just sit there and do nothing as your daughter yet again suffers because of you!" Her green eyes darkened as she glared at Syra. "You say you love her? Prove it for once in your pathetic life, Syra!"

"Aurora will survive."

"In how many pieces this time, Syra?"

"She will compartmentalize and survive. Just as I taught her to do."

"Oh, yes, I remember all about your techniques," McGonagall snidely retorted. "She didn't trust anyone when she returned that fall. Withdrawn. Scared out of her mind. But then again, how could she trust anyone when her own mother left her to die? And for what? Hmm, Syra? All so you could test her to see if she was strong enough to endure the hell you put her through that summer! I will never understand why Albus allowed you anywhere near her after that. You're a monster."

"Are you finished?"

Harry's mouth dropped when he saw his head of house punch Syra. He glanced at his dad, noticing his father's raised eyebrow. His eyes then darted to his grandfather, seeing the older wizard's appreciative smirk.

"No. Now I'm finished," McGonagall stated, glaring at the golden blond.

"Get out," Syra hissed, emphasizing each word.

"Project Unicorn," his dad interrupted, gaining the witches' attentions. "What was it?"

"A secret Ministry project," Syra replied with clenched teeth. "Why?"

"Tell me about it." He lowered his voice, releasing the tension in his voice. "Please."

Harry could see Syra start to relax slightly as well. Once again, she seemed devoid all emotions. He didn't know how she did it. Be angry one second ready to kill them all, and robotic the next.

"What do you want to know?"

"Everything."

She sighed, glancing up at the ceiling before inclining her head. "It was a Ministry funded top secret project that was implemented by St. Mungo's during the 1950s and early 1960s. Initially, the project was to answer the age old question of how does one keep the purebloods entirely pure without them all dying off. At least that was the Ministry's unofficial explanation of it. However, the submitted and later accepted proposal stated that the project's primary purpose was to alter the genetics of any offspring and repair any damaged or missing genes. For example, a child predisposed with hemophilia. With certain genetic modifications, that could be repaired while the child is still in utero. It's based around the research of an American who at the time believed 'little machines' created in a lab could cure dozens of aliments plaguing the world. Nanotechnology in its infancy in other words."

Harry listened silently, thinking some of it was going over his head already. But the adults seemed to understand. He just waited patiently.

"Albus Dumbledore signed off on it, seeing that it could be used for good and could help hundreds of families who needed it. The project started soon after about 1951, and I was asked to be the healer-in-charge of the project, since I submitted the proposal. I researched tirelessly to find a way for it to work, using Muggle and Magical research on the matter. After a few years of researching, I created several serums that included the tiny machines. If it was to work the way it was intended, the machines had to learn and adapt, as we do in order to survive. In 1956, I started my tests on various lab animals with the serums to see which ones worked and which didn't. Eventually, I became pregnant with Aurora, though, so the Ministry hired an assistant, Leonidas Montgomery.

"He was a healer who had just finished his internship with St. Mungo's," Syra continued. "So to say that he was desperate to sink his teeth into my research would be an understatement. It soon became apparent to me that Leonidas was not just hired to assist me, but to keep an eye on me as well for the Ministry. They all wanted to know how close I was to developing the serum, but I refused to tell that bureaucratic corrupt place anything of value. My pregnancy helped provide me with various excuses to use when I needed to work alone and escape his watchful eyes."

"You worked on it here?"

"Yes." Syra nodded slowly. "I soon realized what the Ministry had planned once I finished the serum. By using nanotechnology and programming it either to adapt or to override the default of adapting and accept a code, I had given the Ministry a new weapon to use."

"I don't understand."

"It could target specific programmed-in genes and alter them based on the code given if overridden. In theory, one could program it to check to see if the gene responsible for one becoming either magical or not is in an individual. If said individual was non-magical, one could target and kill the non-magical person while it'd do nothing to the magical person it'd come in contact with. In other words, if it was introduced into the drinking water, the genocide of all Muggles would be too easy."

"Bloody hell," Tobias gaped.

"Indeed," Syra said quietly. "Unfortunately, when I realized this, I had already developed a large batch of it, and Leonidas knew that. He informed the Ministry, who in turn selected females of all ages from prominent families. I was five months along at this time. I couldn't afford to make a mistake. The first woman selected was Eileen Prince-Snape, your mother."

Harry's eyes darted to his dad. He watched his dad breathe in and out slowly as the man said nothing. That certainly was interesting.

"The Ministry didn't want the public to know they were being experimented on, of course. So, the lie we were to use when administering it was that it was a nutritional potion. Your mother came in for your routine check-up, while I was in the process of switching the vials out with actual nutritional potions. Leonidas, however, had already grabbed one of the vials and gave it to her. I'm unsure if Eileen took it or not. Once I had switched out all the vials, I resigned and took my research with me, leaving Leonidas to administer the potions alone. He realized after a bit that something was wrong, so he came to me asking for my research. I refused. The Ministry noted not long after that the project was a failure and ended it, effectively ruining Leonidas and his career because he couldn't keep his promises he gave to the Ministry." She sighed, shaking her head slowly. "He didn't take failure well, so he sent the Ministry to raid this place to find the real vials. They found nothing."

"Is he the one who has Aurora?"

"Likely. I'd imagine he's been taking all these women these past months, because he believes one of them actually drank it."

"And you never thought to tell anyone this?"

Syra's eyes darted to Harry's dad as she smiled thinly. "You mean inform them of something they already knew? Don't doubt for a moment that there aren't those at the Ministry right now who knew exactly who took the women and just where he was this whole time. After all, keep in mind that the Ministry wants it just as bad as Leonidas does."

"So the unused vial is what he wants?"

"Yes, but as I said, I don't have it anymore. So I'm not any use to Aurora."

"You used it?"

"Clearly," Syra replied flatly.

"On whom?"

"As if I would tell you. Now, I believe I've answered all your questions."

"Who did you give it to?"

"Kindly see yourselves out. We're finished," Syra stated coldly, standing up and motioning towards the foyer behind them.

"Your daughter will die, Syra."

"No, Mr. Snape. My daughter will survive. I've ensured that."

Harry gasped, his mouth dropping. He glanced at his dad, then to his grandfather, and then to his head of house. He stared at the golden blond before shaking his head.

"Yes, by torturing your daughter yourself," McGonagall snapped.

Tobias frowned instantly and opened his mouth to disagree, but his grandson quickly cut him off.

"No. No, that's not it," Harry argued. "She took it herself. She drank it." Harry caught Syra's unnatural blue eyes rest on him and swallowed. This was not going to be good. She was positively scary.

"How observant of you, Mister Potter. There's hope for you yet." She flashed a thin smile. "You are mistaken, though. I injected it into my abdomen so it'd pass through the placenta into my daughter."

"Dear Merlin!" McGonagall and Harry were outraged. "Why on earth would you do that? Subject your unborn child to something so risky?"

"Seeing as how you're not a mother, Minerva," Syra stated coldly, "I wouldn't expect you to understand."

Tobias and Harry's dad both wore identical frowns. When McGonagall took a step forward, Harry's dad quickly grabbed her wrist and shook his head at the older witch. It truly wasn't worth it.

"She might not be fortunate enough to be a parent, but we are. So, try us, lass," Tobias gruffly grumbled with hard steel blue eyes.

"Would you do everything in your power to save your son, Mr. Snape Senior? If you had the chance, that is? I had such an opportunity, and I took it."

"Save her? Well, if that isn't some fine Thestral dung, I don't know what is," McGonagall cried, glaring at Syra. "You always claim you're saving her, yet you're always the one torturing her."

"Think what you will, Minerva, but I did the right thing."

"No. You never have. Your daughter has always just wanted your love. And what do you do? You give her constant pain and heartbreak instead. Anytime she does anything of importance, you tell her that it wasn't good enough. You never deserved her!"

"Be as that may, she is my daughter, Minerva, not yours. Sooner you understand that, the better."

"No one but you was after her. She was fine. Safe."

"I saved her."

"No! You killed her by experimenting on her! You gave your unborn daughter a serum that you likely weren't even certain worked on humans at the time. And for what? Just to see if it'd work. If you were the genius you believed yourself to be. You're a monster."

Harry sidestepped towards his dad. The witches looked like they were about to come to blows, and he didn't want to be anywhere around when the hexes started to fly. It'd likely be deadly hexes, too.

"You don't get to—"

"You never appreciated your daughter. You never loved her!"

"Silence!" Syra snapped, glaring daggers at McGonagall. "Had I not given her the serum, she never would have survived, Minerva! Would you rather that occurred?" She shook her head violently when McGonagall reared back. "The exact second the healer told me something was wrong with my child, I did everything in my power to save her. So when I came home that day, I gave her the serum on the off chance it'd work. What else was I to do, Minerva? Stand by and let my daughter die like the healer recommended I do? Let her be a stillborn?" She scoffed. "I gave my daughter a chance at survival. So don't you ever insinuate that I didn't love her! Everything I've done is to keep her alive. Keep her safe." She shook her head again. "My daughter may not have had the pampered childhood you think she deserved, but she's alive. Now get out." She waved her hand, and they were thrown outside.

~FKTF~

Snape wore his fixed frown as they reappeared at the cast-iron gates of Hogwarts. He glanced at his son and then to his dad before he looked away. Ahead of them walked Minerva, who had been lost in thought after they left Windsor. He couldn't help but see the head of Gryffindor in a new light. She clearly cared for Aurora as if the younger witch was her daughter. He shook his head. His mind was swimming with information now. He didn't know how to make sense of it all.

"It's safe to return, Severus," Minerva said softly, pausing as she opened the gates with a spell and glanced back at the trio. "After Aurora informed me about Albus," she sighed. "Well, let's just say he's been subdued until we can figure out how to end the spell on him."

"The diary?" he inquired. His eyes narrowed when he watched her reach into her robe pocket before she removed the leather-bound item.

"It was still on his desk." She held it out and said nothing when he grabbed it from her.

"The attacks?"

"Mister Finch-Fletchley was the last one, which occurred just a few moments before you left. I'd imagine there's been no attack because no one's used that book since you left." She sighed. "Lockhart disappeared, however, but no one's choked up about that obviously. Professor Rayne also hasn't been seen lately."

"Calisto went off to talk to her sources," Tobias cut in.

Snape's eyes darted to his dad as his frown deepened. Had the man spoken with the vampire while they were at the cottage? Hell, did everyone know about the place now? When his dad's blue eyes met his, he looked away.

"I know that because she said she'd do that while we were away, son. I didn't break yer rules," Tobias replied, answering the unasked question.

"Poppy likely would allow you to see your mother, Severus. There's nothing stopping you currently." She sighed when he gave her a sharp look. "You know what I mean, Severus." She turned away and slowly walked up the path to the castle alone.

Snape looked back at Harry and his dad. Minerva unfortunately was correct. As long as they were together, they'd be safe. He'd protect his son at all costs, and he knew his dad would as well. He closed his eyes. When he felt a heavy hand land on his shoulder, he glanced towards his dad.

"Regroup. That's all we can do at this point, son." His eyes softened slightly as his voice lowered so only he and his son could hear it. "You ain't abandoning her, Severus. You ain't giving up either. You just are regrouping. Ain't nothing wrong with that either. I did it with yer mum." He gave him a faint smile. "Next time you talk to her, tell her it. She'll understand. Girl loves you to death, son."

"There's a monster in that damned school, Dad." Snape pointed at the castle. "It's petrifying students."

"So, then we slay the dragon, son."

"Easy as that, is it?"

"No, but we do what we have to." Tobias sighed. "Judging by how Minerva said that all the ladies but Aurora was found in that facility, we've got to assume that they moved her elsewhere. Now, sure, we can go gallivanting about the countryside looking everywhere, but all we'd be doing is wasting energy and time. Both of which we need when we find her."

"But at least we'd be doing something, then!"

"We are doing something, Severus." Tobias shook his head, squeezing Snape's shoulder. "I'll bet you a wedding of your choice, son, that later tonight you'll be feeling better."

"What?" How in the hell would he feel better after Aurora was kidnapped on his watch?

"We got yer mum, son. They don't."

"What does Mum have to do with this?"

"Yer mum's a smart woman, son. If them bastards said anything, left a hint about Aurora, yer mum would have heard it. She likes to toy with people you know, but she learns very quickly the nuances and such. She's got something for us. I just know it. Now, come on. We'll slay the monster and get yer princess back. And, hell, she'll get her fairytale come true. Ain't nothin' more romantic than it."

Snape frowned, resisting the urge to punch the man. He headed to the castle a moment later.

~FKTF~

Not long after they entered the hospital wing, Harry found himself standing in front of his grandmother's cot in one of the private rooms. He glanced at his dad, biting his lip when he noticed his dad's closed eyes. He then looked at his grandfather, shifting his weight at the sight of his grandfather sitting down in the chair beside her and reaching for her hand. His green eyes passed over her, taking in her appearance.

Her long black hair speckled with gray was fanned out around her head. She had angular cheekbones, like his dad, and thin lips. Dark bruises and deep cuts littered her white face. Her right arm was wrapped heavy in gauze. A sheet rested atop of her to shield the rest of her body from view, but it was clear to Harry that she had been starved and beaten.

"Are you just going to hover near me, child, or are you going to say something?" a raspy voice asked suddenly.

Harry jumped in response before he noticed his grandmother's dark eyes on him.

"I-I'm sorry. I didn't know you were awake."

"Obviously," his grandmother rasped before she glanced towards his dad and then at Tobias. "I should hex you, you lying arse, but I'm without a wand unfortunately." Her dark eyes flashed as she glared at her husband.

"You know?"

"That the bastard I thought was my husband was some Polyjuiced idiot while you were hidden away from us? Yes, Tobias. That became painfully obvious when I was brought before Riddle."

Harry watched his dad start at the mention of the dark wizard.

"How did you come to be held with the others, then?"

"Riddle exchanged me for a guarantee of some potion he wants. Immortality or the like." She winced in pain, drawing in a slow breath. "Since Riddle already got what he wanted with you, Severus, I wasn't needed anymore."

Harry watched his dad grimace slightly.

"When I told you that you could be anything you wanted, Severus, I didn't mean be a Death Eater, you foolish boy!" she scolded, giving his dad a sharp look. "I hope you learned your lesson."

"Yes, Mum," his dad replied quietly.

"Good." She sighed a moment later. "Then, come here, you silly child, and give me a proper hug." She laughed softly when he stiffly embraced her. "A fish gives better hugs than you, Severus." She kissed his cheek before she pulled back. "Well, now, who's this?" Her eyes darted back to Harry.

"Um, Harry Potter," the young boy softly said, holding a hand out to her.

"Yes, dear. That's obvious," his grandmother drawled. "Who are you to my son?"

"Oh, um, his son. Your grandson." Harry watched her eyes lighten for a moment before she smiled in amusement. He frowned in response.

"I'll forgive you for not telling me about my grandson this time, Severus, but this is the only time I will about this." Harry couldn't tell if she was serious or joking. Her face was perfectly neutral like his dad's usually was.

"How are you feeling, Mother?"

"I've been better." She glanced at Tobias, then, and frowned.

"What, El? Gonna smack me upside the head?"

"You'd certainly deserve it, wouldn't you?" Her eyes darted back to her son. "And you, too, Severus. Both of you are menaces."

"Eh, you love us anyway," Tobias replied with a cocky grin. The minute his wife smacked the back of his head, though, his smile vanished and he glanced down.

"I'm upset with you. Both of you." Harry noticed that his dad and grandfather both knew enough to look ashamed. Her body lost its tension a few moments later as her eyes softened slightly as she glanced between them. "Honestly. What am I going to do with you two?"

"Forgive us?" Tobias suggested quietly.

"We'll see." She inhaled sharply as likely another jolt of pain shot through her body. "For now, though, I think I'll try to rest." She closed her eyes. "Try not to lie or maim anyone in the meantime."

The End.


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=2958