From Kinship to Family by Lady Lanera
Summary: Sequel to From Tragedy to Treasure. Harry thought his second year at Hogwarts would be normal with just the everyday worries of classes and Quidditch. However, he soon finds out that this year will be unlike any other year before.
Categories: Parental Snape > Biological Father Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Sinistra, Tobias Snape
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Action/Adventure, Family
Media Type: None
Tags: Alternate Universe
Takes Place: 2nd summer, 2nd Year
Warnings: Romance/Het, Violence
Challenges: None
Series: Tragedy
Chapters: 24 Completed: Yes Word count: 126307 Read: 79644 Published: 08 Jun 2013 Updated: 25 Jul 2013
Pieces by Lady Lanera

With his dad sitting next to his mum, Harry stood and watched his dad glance away the moment he asked the question. Did that mean that his dad had finally gotten it through his skull that his mum was the one he should love? Harry bit his lip. His father still hadn't answered. He opened his mouth to ask his dad again, but promptly closed it when he noticed Professor Rayne watching him closely.

"Professor Rayne, if you could," Headmaster Dumbledore spoke, "please ask Professor McGonagall to get in touch with Aurora's parents."

"Is she hurt that bad?" Harry asked, glancing from his dad to Madam Pomfrey. His eyes then darted back to his mum. She had deep black bruises to her neck where someone had clearly choked her and numerous cuts and bruises speckling her face.

"No, Mr. Potter. She's stable," Madam Pomfrey answered a moment later.

"Then why—?"

"We do not know at this point if the attack was a result of the recent pureblood kidnappings or if it is an enemy of Aurora's, my boy," Dumbledore quietly replied, frowning as he stared at Harry's dad.

"Who would want to hurt her?"

"Aurora has her share of enemies unfortunately."

Harry shook his head, though. He couldn't think of anyone who would want to hurt her. She was kind and loyal and sweet and good. The young boy then glanced across at his father, narrowing his eyes on his dad's bloody knuckles and a jagged cut that ran across his bare chest. He hadn't noticed it before.

"Dad, you're hurt, too."

"I'm fine, Harry," his father replied shortly.

"But you're bleeding, Dad."

"He's right, Severus. Let me take a look, please," Madam Pomfrey softly said.

"I said I'm fine," Harry's dad growled, his eyes never leaving the bruised witch's face.

Harry watched the looks between Dumbledore and Madam Pomfrey instantly. He frowned. Maybe he did take after his dad. At least partly he seemed to. Harry slowly walked to his dad and rested a hand on his father's shoulder.

"Dad, please let her look at you. Mum wouldn't want you being a stubborn git like this, you know?" Harry heard his dad's snort almost at once. He licked his lips nervously when his father glanced at him. He could see some emotion in the man's eyes, but he couldn't figure which one it was. "I bet Madam Pomfrey will even look at you here, while you stay with Mum."

"You're a wretched manipulator, Harry," his father quietly spoke before he inclined his head.

"Well, yeah. I am a Gryffindor." Harry smiled briefly. His dad only looked away.

It was several minutes later before the doors opened up. Harry glanced towards them, watching his Head of House walk beside a tall and unfamiliar man.

"Minerva, Kingsley, good, very good." Dumbledore inhaled slowly. "What did you learn?"

"Her mother stated that they're fine as is her sister. There's been no activity at Windsor."

Dumbledore nodded slowly before he glanced to the man next to McGonagall.

"He was just where Severus stated he'd be. Dead." Harry's dad's lip curled upwards slightly at the mentioning of the man's demise. "I could be wrong of course but I believe that he's Fletcher Pine."

"Ah. That is most troubling." Dumbledore stroked his beard slowly.

"Why? What's that mean?" Harry asked, interjecting himself into the conversation.

"Did you check his arm?" Harry's dad inquired with a frown.

"I did," Kingsley replied, nodding. "He had the Dark Mark. A fresh one by the look of the redness surrounding it still. No more than a few weeks old."

"Interesting." Dumbledore stroked his beard more.

"First the attack on Azkaban yesterday, and now one on Hogwarts today. They're clearly making some sort of statement." Kingsley shook his head.

"Yes, I agree, but what message are they trying to convey is the question."

"Fear clearly. We know they were behind the attacks in London and Hogsmeade, Albus."

"No, they were merely diversions," Harry's dad stated flatly. "To provide cover for the kidnappings and make us believe that it was just Death Eaters. Was anyone taken from Azkaban?"

"Unfortunately." Kingsley frowned. "Bellatrix Lestrange."

"Oh, lovely. They can keep her," Madam Pomfrey quipped.

"It doesn't make sense." McGonagall pinched her lips together. "As much as it pains me to say this, why go after Aurora when you have a castle full of young female purebloods at your disposal?"

Harry noticed his dad's intense look of contemplation. He wanted to ask his dad what he was thinking, but clearly the man was deep in thought. A moment later, his father's eyes widened slightly.

"Because they're searching for a specific person."

"Precisely," Dumbledore agreed.

"What do all the witches have in common? Other than being pureblood," McGonagall asked.

"They're all from prominent families," Kingsley answered.

"We're missing something."

"We're missing several things unfortunately, my boy."

"What's the age range so far?" Harry's dad inquired.

"Thirty to forty-one," Kingsley replied.

"Bellatrix Lestrange, Molly Weasley, Victorie Flint, Darla Bulstrode," Dumbledore recited.

"Layla McNair," Kingsley added quietly. "They came back for her two days ago."

"And Aurora today," Harry's dad stated, frowning.

"We need to figure out what it is we're missing."

"Agreed."

Dumbledore frowned. "Poppy, are you able to check medical records to see how many purebloods are left in that age range?"

"Only if they went to Hogwarts, yes," she answered.

"If we know who's left, we can provide them protection," Kingsley stated, nodding. He then glanced towards the cot. "When Aurora regains consciousness, I need to speak with her."

"Of course," Madam Pomfrey replied. "But for now, though, all of you need to leave." She glanced towards Harry's dad and Harry before she sighed in annoyance. "I won't even bother."

~FKTF~

Several hours later, in the dead of night and shrouded in shadows, two figures stood in a darkened room. The flames in the dying fireplace licked at the logs and crackled softly as heavy rain pelted against the windows.

"Report," a male spoke.

"Everything's going just as you planned, sir," a woman replied with a smile in her voice.

"Excellent. Your thoughts so far?"

"The staff is loyal to their leader. They will follow his every word without hesitation."

The man merely nodded before he spoke. "Do they trust every word given to them?"

"Without a doubt, sir. It's, in fact, why they trust Severus Snape, a former Death Eater. Well, perhaps not all of them."

"Oh?"

"Minerva McGonagall. She believes that it may be an error in judgment, but she is so far following along. She worries, however."

"About?"

"The Astronomy Mistress. Aurora Sinistra."

"I see."

"She worries the girl will get hurt one day. However, like all mother hens, she only wants what is best for Miss Sinistra. They share a strong bond with one another. Likely a result of the skeletons in Miss Sinistra's dark past."

"Anything else of note?"

"The Potions Master. Severus Snape."

"What about him?"

"His results I found to be quite interesting."

"Explain."

"While he is loyal currently, his loyalty would sway given the right stimuli. If he thought it was best for his child, he would do as any parent would—and choose the best option for his family."

"I see."

"His fears are another thing of note. His own wellbeing is of no concern to him. Only his family. He believes that he is beyond saving because of his past sins. However, lately, his thoughts have turned less dark, less depressing."

"Why?"

"He let go of his heartbreak, moved on. His heart no longer yearns for the witch of his youth."

"As a result of your doing?"

"Perhaps." The woman shrugged.

"I see," the man replied with clear disapproval.

"You asked me to test their reactions to certain stimuli to learn about them and report my findings to you, sir. I've done this."

"I did not ask you to test with that particular stimuli, however."

"Would you rather I have tested to see how he'd react to the lies concerning his father then, sir?"

The man growled instantly.

"He is not aware of my tests. I assure you if that is what you're concerned with. He may be a skilled Occlumens, but I believe that is why you asked for my services. Now, if you do not like my methods, then perhaps you should have asked another person. I've done as you've asked and given you my results—and then some."

"What does he know about his father?"

"Nothing. He still believes that the man he grew up with at Spinner's End was his father." The man nodded. "I'm curious, sir. How do you believe he'll take it when he learns the truth about Tobias?"

"I only hope that never occurs, Calisto."

"Unfortunately, sir, the truth has a funny way of coming out." She smiled faintly when he glanced at her. "If you'll forgive me, I have a pile of fifth-year essays about rubber ducks I must mark before sunrise. Good night." She left a moment later.

~FKTF~

Tobias frowned as he glanced through the gates up to the spectacular castle, shining in the sullen night. He pulled his long weathered tan coat further around him, trying to stay dry from the pouring rain. A useless action if ever there was one. He was already soaked through. His eyes stared up at the tallest tower, however, before he glanced down at the newspaper in his hand.

"Azkaban Attacked" was the headline in big bold letters. He shook his head before he glanced back up to the tower. He needed to get closer. Turning around, he headed along the property before he stopped in front of the outer edge of the lake. He dove in, swimming to the very bottom before continuing onwards. He reemerged a few moments later with a gasping breath as he clung to a large rock in the water. He glanced at the castle and frowned when he saw the men standing around a body at the base of the tower. His eyes looked up at the top of the tower. Another flash of lightening streaked across the sky, allowing him to notice the broken window near the top of the tower.

"Fuck," he growled, slapping his hand against the water. He had thought for certain that the witch would be safe with his son there. Then again, he hadn't really met his son, so what the hell did he know truly. He shook his head, hitting the water hard again. "Fuck," he repeated.

A movement above him caused Tobias to jerk his head upwards. He frowned when he saw a red-and-gold phoenix slowly circling above before it gradually glided down to him. His eyes narrowed when he caught the rolled up parchment in the bird's talons. He swiftly removed the message and unrolled it.

"Packages are safe" were the only three words written on the parchment. Tobias closed his eyes before scratching his simple reply, "For now." He rolled it up and handed it back to the phoenix, sending the bird off a moment later. He watched it fly to a neighboring tower.

They would not stop until they had every pureblood witch in the group. He knew it, and Albus knew it. Tobias sighed, shaking his head. His blue eyes glanced up to the broken window again. He had half a mind to walk in that castle and demand to see his son. But he couldn't. Not yet. Not until he made things right. Until he had his proof that he was Tobias Avery Snape, husband to Eileen Prince-Snape and father to Severus Tobias Snape. Only then could he see his son. He turned away and left the grounds.

~FKTF~

The sun was just rising when Snape heard the soft moan from Aurora as she slowly woke. His dark eyes soaked in every movement, every breath she had taken. Merlin, she was beautiful. He held himself back somehow from leaning forward and brushing back her stray dark curls. An urge he had strongly wanted to do for several hours now.

"Hey," she softly whispered, blinking at him owlishly.

"Hello," he replied equally soft. He swallowed the lump as she glanced around the main area of the hospital wing. His heart thumped wildly in his chest as he watched her. His control was quickly spiraling out of control. The words burst from him—the truth escaping. "I care for you." Her head snapped back as her warm eyes darted to his.

"Wow. I must have hit my head harder than I thought." She laughed before she shook her head, her hand rubbing the back of her head gently.

"I'm not a hallucination, Aurora," Snape stated quietly.

"Yeah, sure, and I'm amazing at Potions," she drawled, laughing.

He grabbed her hand, threading their fingers together. He felt a jolt of electricity shoot through him at the innocent touch and noticed with a hidden smile that she did as well.

"I care for you, Aurora," he repeated calmly, holding her eyes with his. He patiently waited as a flurry of emotions passed over her eyes. It was slightly comical if he could say so himself.

"Severus?" she breathed, her voice trembling slightly.

"Yes." He nodded slowly. He watched the smile spread across her face like wildfire, warming up the room a moment later. Or at the very least his heart. He snorted inwardly. When had he become some pathetic romantic sap?

Someone cleared his throat then, effectively ruining their moment.

"I apologize for interrupting. However, I need to speak with you, Aurora. About your attack."

Snape frowned. A very large part of him wanted to hex the foolish Auror for his stupid timing. Didn't Kingsley see that they were having a private conversation? Idiot.

"All right," Aurora replied with a shrug.

"I'll make this quick," Kingsley stated.

"You better," Snape grumbled under his breath. He caught Aurora's short laugh instantly.

"Walk me through the attack. Where were you?" Kingsley asked.

"I was going to bed early. I felt like someone was watching me so I turned around. That's when I was stabbed in the shoulder with something. I fought back. Was grabbed a hold of at some point and thrown towards my vanity table. Then hands were around neck, and Severus showed up somehow then."

Snape's hand clenched instinctively. She had been stabbed? He hadn't noticed any major bleeding consistent with that, though. Only cuts and bruises.

"Was it this?" Kingsley questioned, holding up a syringe with a trace amount of liquid inside it.

"Yes. Exactly like that."

Snape frowned, glancing down at the floor. The syringe and liquid looked familiar somehow. But where had he seen that before? He searched through his memories, trying to recall the object. His fist clenched once more when he recognized it from his childhood.

"Son of a bitch." Snape noticed both Kingsley and Aurora glance at him instantly. He pulled his wand out and handed it to her. "Cast Lumos." He caught her confusion, but she grabbed his wand.

"Lumos," she stated, flicking the long ebony wand. Nothing happened, though. She tried it several more times before looking at him. Even though it wasn't her wand, it should have still listened.

"Dammit," Snape growled. "It's a magic suppressant. The liquid that was injected into her."

"You know this potion?" Kingsley inquired.

"Something like that," Snape replied with a scoff. "My bastard father used it on my mother all the time." He shook his head. "It was to keep her in line, but it would wear off and she'd fight back."

Kingsley frowned. "Your mother's been missing for years, hasn't she?"

"Yes." Snape's line of thinking ran parallel to Kingsley's then.

"Then perhaps we were mistaken. Perhaps this whole Pureblood kidnapping business has gone on longer than we thought." Kingsley shook his head. "Maybe your mother was the first, Severus."

The End.


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=2958