Misguided Fate by watercrystals
Summary: Harry and Severus are struck by rare magic-infused lightning, triggering de-aging and altering effects. Four-year-old Harry and twenty-one-year-old Severus move to the Burrow, but Fate isn't finished with them yet...
Categories: Misc > All written in Snape's POV, Parental Snape > Guardian Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Arthur, Bill, Charlie, Fred George, Ginny, Hedwig, Luna, Molly, Original Character, Other, Percy, Pomfrey, Ron
Snape Flavour: Canon Snape
Genres: Angst, Drama, Family, General, Humor, Hurt/Comfort, Mystery
Media Type: None
Tags: Adoption, Alternate Universe, Child fic, Deaged!Harry, Deaged!Snape, Deaging, New Identity!Harry
Takes Place: 0 - Pre Hogwarts (before Harry is 11), 1st Year
Warnings: Neglect, Romance/Het, Violence
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 7 Completed: No Word count: 50221 Read: 38851 Published: 20 Aug 2013 Updated: 16 Dec 2014
The Newest Weasleys by watercrystals

'Are you ready?'

Molly's question was simple enough, yet Severus was unable to answer.

He quietly stood beside her in Poppy's office, where they faced the still fireplace, and pondered on the past hours. They'd been so preoccupied that Severus had found little time to think, not that he was sure what was left to think about other than his own confusion and dread regarding being fifteen again.

They'd been lucky no one required the Hospital Wing that morning. As the clean room remained relatively empty for hours, there had been no need for partial explanations or spontaneous distractions. Who Harry and Severus were remained between the two people they had designated to know, willingly or not.

The only explanation that did occur was when Molly floo-called Arthur to briefly inform him of the situation. She was magically unable to reveal in-depth details about who Severus really was, or any specifics regarding the de-aging, but Molly somehow managed to let her husband know what was going on without too many informal gaps.

Arthur was quite shocked to understand he had a new “son”, and was now a grandfather at the same time, but he took it quite well. Upon seeing Molly's insistent and worried expression, he knew there was nothing he felt justified to object against, and therefore welcomed it with an open mind. Arthur also decided to leave work early so he could help the new members of his family get settled in.

While Molly talked to her husband, Severus retreated to Poppy's desk.

He fussed over the wording of his note to Dumbledore, to let the man know his Potions Master was taking time off from teaching to travel to exotic locations around the world in exploration of rare herbs to advance his studies. As he finished the note and sent it off with a house-elf, Severus had no idea what Albus would actually make it it. He wondered if it would make sense at all, since he hadn't mentioned his name. Even so, he felt obligated to at least inform the man regardless.

The last thing he had done to prepare himself for departure involved taking the risk of venturing outside the Hospital Wing.

He wandered the familiar path to the dungeons, with more confidence and self-control than his earlier fleeing. He hoped to retrieve some of the items in his quarters, and had not expected the rather odd occurrence that followed. He reached to touch the doorknob, but it wriggled under his palm and the door itself faded into the stone wall. Severus knew it was a very clever form of magical concealment, and decided not to both with the hassle of reserving it.

He was glad, at least, that his belongings would be left alone and his personal rooms untouched.

Molly and Severus weren't the only busy ones. Poppy rather impressively obtained the adoptions papers for Molly and Arthur to sign, then ventured discreetly to the Gryffindor tower. The students had since vacated the common room and dormitories, though Poppy didn't waste any time gathering Harry's trunk and otherwise.

She returned to her office the same time Severus sulked back into the room, and Molly ended her floo-call. Poppy quickly wrote a note to Dumbledore as well, alerting him that one of the Gryffindor 1st year boys had been removed from the school by his parents due to an unexpected illness. She evaded use of Harry's name by taking advantage of patient confidentiality magics.

That is what led to Severus and Molly standing in front of the fireplace, bracing themselves to leave Hogwarts. Everything was in order, and there was no further delays necessary. Severus held the sleeping boy in his arms again, much to his annoyance, and was unable to talk Poppy out of her decision to name him the brat's adoptive father.

She even had the forms for him to sign.

Molly glanced to the teenager with a smile, then sighed and nodded her head. Severus creased his eyebrows, then stepped into the fireplace with her. It was a rather difficult feat, as Severus held Harry carefully close and tried not to wince when Molly placed one hand on his shoulder while her other held a handful of floo powder. It was safer and far more practical for them to floo together, with Harry along for the ride, but that didn't mean Severus had to like it.

Poppy was distracted and exhausted, but remained in her office long enough to bid them farewell and good luck.

'The Burrow!' Molly called.

In a flash of green, they were gone.

Severus barely had time to think oddly of the location she had given, before he was stumbling unceremoniously from the fireplace.

His first impression of the Gryffindor dwelling was how it looked cosy enough, but very cluttered. He instantly knew the sort of place he would be staying in, with all the knitted items lying around and the second-hand items. There was a tiny resemblance to his childhood, only the burrow was filled with the warmth and welcome Spinner's End had long been robbed of.

'Ah, there you are!' Arthur heard the floo and came from the kitchen to greet them. 'And this fine young man must be Severus!' He held out a hand to shake, before realising Severus was using both of his own hands to hold Harry.

'Hello.' Severus said politely. He reasoned it would be rude not be somewhat civil, since they were letting him stay in their home for a length of time.

'Soon to be Severus Weasley.' Molly smiled proudly, causing the teenager to cringe. 'Come along, dear. You can put Harry down in Ron's room.' She said and directed him to the stairs.

'Can't you take him?' Severus asked, politeness forgotten. 'My arms are sore.'

'Oh, alright.' Molly nodded and accepted the child from him.

Arthur watched the exchange and didn't think Severus looked too tired at all, but didn't interject.

'I hear there's quite a predicament involving aging?' Arthur asked in a business tone, wanting to be well-informed of the situation. 'Do you know how many years you'll age?'

'No.' Severus frowned. 'Preferably more than two.'

He really wanted to be of age again. He had his wand with him, of course, and was glad he was staying in a magical household otherwise he'd have gone further insane without the free use of his magic.

'Well, we best make the most of it.' Arthur tried to remain optimistic. He wanted to get to know his newly adopted son, especially when Severus he wouldn't be a teenager for very long.

So far, he knew nothing about the boy at all.

'Are you hungry, dear?' Molly returned, looking at Severus with a motherly expression. 'It's nearly time for lunch. How about we all go into the kitchen? We can talk some more there.'

'Sounds like a plan!' Arthur nodded and followed his wife into the other room.

Severus exhaled with dread and trailed behind them, kicking lightly at the floor as he walked with his hands enveloped within his pockets. He sat in a seat across from Arthur, and rested his chin on the surface of the table. He didn't care how he looked because Severus deemed his situation to be horrible enough to bother even him.

He didn't realise how, despite his constant objections, he really was a fifteen-year-old boy.

'We'll need to take you shopping as well.' Molly said aloud to Severus, who was barely listening. 'Since you don't have anything with you, but that will have to wait. And we'll need to work out which room you can sleep in. I would put you and Harry in the twin's room but, oh it's quite a mess lately.' She shook her head with a frown. 'Maybe Percy won't mind sharing? We'll have to ask him when the others return home in a few days. You can sleep there until they do.'

'I don't think Percy will mind.' Arthur commented. 'So, Severus...' He clapped his hands together once and tried to be enthusiastic. 'Would you like a tour?'

'No.' Severus answered in a dull tone. 'I'm not hungry either.'

'A growing boy needs to eat.' Molly fretted.

She placed a sandwich in front of him, which caused Severus to sit upright and glare at it for taking up his head-resting space. He grunted and felt his stomach betray him with a growl of hunger. While he ate, Severus looked around with very little interest, and turned back to Arthur.

'How many children do you have?' Severus wondered, knowing he had taught two of them in the past, and there were at least four more at Hogwarts. He imagined it was going to be an utter nightmare to have them all running around the house in a few days.

Severus promised himself he'd make the most of his mild peace until then, and find any location or activity in which he can use to escape everyone.

'Seven.' Arthur answered. 'Well, eight now.' He offered Severus a smile. 'Bill and Charlie have already graduated. Bill was Head Boy and Charlie was Quidditch Captain. Percy is finishing his fifth year, in which he's prefect. The twins, Fred and George, are finishing third year. And Ron started this year. All Gryffindors.' He smiled proudly.

'Is Ginny still at the Lovegoods?' Molly wondered.

'Yes.' Arthur nodded. 'They'll drop her off in time for dinner.' He answered his wife. 'Ginny is our youngest child, and only daughter.' He added to Severus. 'She'll be starting Hogwarts next term.'

Severus wisely decided not to comment, as he chewed his sandwich and mused to himself. He thought seven kids was a lot, and wondered how any parent coped with a horde of Gryffindors and the resulting all-hours-of-the-day chaos.

He'd had enough trouble keeping his sanity while teaching classes with the brats.

'Did you attend Hogwarts?' Arthur recalled Molly saying Severus had been of age, and then de-aged, or something like that.

'Yes.' Severus answered, wishing he could say the truth about being employed at Hogwarts as the Potions Master. 'I was in Slytherin.'

'Ah.' Arthur fell quiet at that.

He looked to his wife and was unsure of what to say next. Severus hid a smirk with his final bite; he knew Gryffindors didn't generally feel talkative when a Slytherin was in non-offensive close proximity, such as within their household. Arthur didn't seem to hold it against him, but the moment did become a bit awkward for the red-haired man.

'Do you know where Ginny put the camera?' Molly asked her husband after several minutes of quiet.

'I think it's in the living room.' Arthur answered.

Severus watched Molly with alarm, wondering what she needed a camera for. He hated getting his picture taken at all costs.

'Why do you want a camera?' Severus asked irritably.

'We need to create a convincing background.' Molly explained. 'Because you'll age quickly in a few days, this is a good chance to take some photos of you as though you have been living here for years. We'll have some of you in the garden, and things like that.'

'Oh.' Severus thought it was quite clever, even if he despised the entire idea of it. 'When are we going shopping?'

'We would go now, except there is still so much to do.' Molly sighed. 'Why don't you get settled in, and then we'll find you something to wear? I'm sure I have some things of the other boys that would fit you.'

Severus glanced at the clothes he had on and didn't like the idea of wearing anything that wasn't purely his own, even if he had nothing else with him. A blush crept across his usually pale cheeks when he realised he had no pyjamas or clean underwear either. Unable to think about the concept of not only living in the Weasley household, with all the heathens, and share their surname, but wear handed-down clothes as well, Severus felt he needed to get away.

'I think I'll take a walk outside.' He said, already making his way to the door.

Stepping into the yard, Severus looked around and hadn't expected there to be so much open space available to him. As he stood outside the door of the house, with the shed a short distance away on his right, Severus took in the sight that expanded far in front of him. To his left was a creek, which he assumed was warded because seven children had grown up near it over the years - it would be really dangerous otherwise, for small children.

Like Harry.

Severus looked over the creek to the lush, grassy hills on the other side. He could reach the area by following the long dirt driveway, which passed by the creek, and spread further than his eyes could see. He took a short walk around the house, and saw a fenced garden out the back, and more landscape. There were plenty of trees in the backyard, which provided a lot of shade. Randomly, Severus' first thought was that they looked good for climbing, but quickly dismissed such childish notions.

Walking back around, Severus decided to wander along the road and wherever he felt like going, rather than pick an actual destination and aim for it. Truthfully, he was tired of choosing his path then dedicating himself to it. He liked to be able to wander and explore, much like he and Lily had before attending Hogwarts.

They'd been simpler times, undaunted by battling sides or tiring duties.

Severus felt calm to be there, surrounded by the country lifestyle the Burrow provided. He'd only ever lived in darkened, confined areas with a lot of walls and nearby occupants. Kicking lightly at the natural path stretched ahead of him, Severus knew he be dirtier more often in such a place, making mental note to choose jeans over nice slacks when he went shopping. Dirt didn't bother him much, as he wouldn't have become a Potions Master if it had, but he did like to look presentable in a dignified manner.

With his hands shoved into his pockets once again, Severus wandered around the yard and let his thoughts shift between topics. As the cool breeze blew his black hair out of his face, Severus found it hard to believe Harry Potter was there as well, while it was quiet and almost peaceful. He hated being a teenager again, but Severus had to admit he was feeling more alive than he had in a very long time. It almost made him forget why he hated the age of fifteen the most, with what had happened in his 5th year with Lily and then what waited for him at Spinner's End that summer.

-- 

Distracted by the walk he actually enjoyed, Severus didn't realise how much time passed by until Molly called him back to the house. His mood settled, Severus returned to the magic-sustained building and went inside. Molly was in the living room - on the floor in front of her were several boxes, each labelled with familiar names. Severus read the names of William, Charles, and Percival, which he assumed were the older brothers.

At least for now, he hoped.

'Let's see what we have here.' Molly bent down to sort through the boxes. She made selections from each, and draped them over a nearby armchair.

Severus stood halted to the spot and felt uncomfortable as he watched her hold u shirts to him and then pants. A blush returned to his cheeks as he stared intently at the floor, barely heeding her instructions to turn around or lift his chin.

'Try these on, dear.' Molly piled clothes into his arms and told him where Percy's room was.

Severus hurried from the room, careful not to drop anything, and located the prefect's bedroom upstairs.

Not knowing what to expect, though remaining cautious as it was the dwelling of a teenage Weasley, Severus pushed open the door with his foot and looked around. He was surprised by how neat it was. There was a made bed with a thick, coloured quilt on the right-side corner. A desk sat beside it, with a window to look out of, which overlooked the creek and showed the hills in the distance.

Not taking in the rest of the appearance, which was mostly bookcases and a wardrobe that had a Gryffindor tie draped over it, Severus shut the door and was dismayed to find there was no lock on it. Remembering this was an entirely magical home, he cast a locking charm just in case, and dumped the clothes on the bed.

He stared at them with the same analytical frown he aimed at gathered ingredients he was yet to properly sort.

Picking out several items of clothing he wouldn't be caught dead in, Severus tried on some jeans and found that only Charlie's fit him. Most of Percy's shirts were his size, though some of Bill's as well. The sweaters were all Bill's, and the shoes all Charlie's. Severus was in the process of pulling another sweater over his head when a knock at the door startled him.

'Well?' Molly's voice was heard through the wooden barrier. 'Show me which ones fit you best.'

'I can decide for myself!' Severus called back, though it was muffled by the sweater over his head.

He realised too late it wasn't big enough for him, and felt rather tight around him as though it was shrinking with his every movement. Squirming and trying to break free, Severus was deeply annoyed and humiliated.

He was truly stuck, and his wand was out of reach.

'Help.' He grumbled.

Severus feared he was going to fall over, and hit his head on the desk, if he couldn't get the sweater off before his usually-dormant claustrophobia kicked in. He heard the doorknob turn, then an unlocking spell. Severus couldn't see through the thick woold, but was thankful when Molly grabbed the top of the sweater and pulled it off his head.

'There you go, dear.' Molly said sympathetically, handing it to him.

She watched as Severus threw the offensive object onto the bed with lingering dislike. Molly observed the eight arranged piles Severus had made, and tried to hide her amusement.

'Which ones fit you?' She asked.

'Those.' Severus pointed to three small piles near the end of the bed. 'Those I am not wearing.' He indicated to another four. 'And these ones are not adequately my size.' He referred to the bigger pile near the wall.

Molly noticed the three main categories of piles, once he had pointed them out, and saw he had furthermore arranged them by colours, plain, or patterned. She agreed with most of his selections, though picked a few from his “not wearing” pile, such as socks or an additional sweater, and instructed him to try them on.

Severus protested, but conceded when he saw how stern she looked on the matter. Lowering his gaze to the wand in her hand, Severus decided he should try the sweater on if he didn't want it flying over his head against his will.

Being strangled by the other sweater was enough for one day.

'I hate it.' Severus complained and looked down at the object, not at all pleased to realise the scarlet sweater fit him flawlessly. He went to take it off, but Molly grabbed his shoulders and turned him around so she could see it better on him.

'I think it suits you.' Molly nodded. 'Charlie hardly wore it; it's still in very good condition. Try on the socks.'

Severus looked at the golden socks and felt she was dressing him as a Gryffindor. He had already selected all the black, grey, and white socks that fit him and didn't see why he needed more.

'I refuse to wear them.' Severus said adamantly, trying to pretend he didn't notice the sweater he still wore was rather comfortable. 'I will keep this sweater, and two pairs of blue socks, if you stop insisting I wear things I don't like.'

'And three more shirts, with colour.' Molly negotiated.

'Fine.' Severus ground out through his teeth and reconsidered his options.

Picking a chequered blue shirt that buttoned up at the front and had long sleeves, a plain brown shirt, and a maroon striped shirt. He then exchanged the horrid red pajamas she had placed on his “keep” pile for a grey-blue set.

Molly was satisfied with his choices and gathered the remainder of the clothes. She left the room to return the items to the designated boxes, and Severus was glad she was gone. Looking around, Severus wasn't sure where to put his second-hand clothes. He sat on the edge of the bed awkwardly and waited for Molly's predictable return.

'There should be room in these drawers.' Molly said, walking to Percy's dresser to check the top drawers. 'He stores most of his Hogwarts attire in there, which he has with him.' She explained and held out her arms for the clothes.

Molly wished all her sons carefully folded the materials like Severus did before handing them to her. He watched her arrangements carefully, as though trying to memorise the exact location of each item or check none of the ones he didn't like had been sneaked inside.

'There. That will do until we get more furniture.' Molly stepped back and glanced Severus over. 'Ginny will be home soon, so you'll get to meet her. I'll put on a pot of tea in the meantime.'

Severus didn't answer, being too reoccupied with glaring at her.

'You can't very well walk around in those clothes, they're much too big for you.' She shook her head, taking no notice of his mood. 'Why don't you pick something from your new clothes and come downstairs for some tea and biscuits?'

Severus said nothing, and scowled at her until she left the room. He slammed the door shut and cast the locking charm again. Sighing, he knew his former clothes were uncomfortable and probably made him look very ridiculous. Stripping, he changed into a dark pair of jeans, a plain bottle green shirt, and pulled a slightly faded black sweater over his head.

Standing in the full-length mirror for over ten minutes, and deciding he could be seen in such clothes, Severus turned to leave the room. He reached for the knob and bumped into the door, grimacing as he'd forgotten to unlock it first. Convinced the entire house had put a curse on him, Severus stomped the entire way from the room and down the stairs.

He paused on the bottom step, having heard a girl's voice in the kitchen. Thinking this was the youngest Weasley child, Severus suddenly felt rather uncomfortable. Exhaling, he stepped into the room and made his way to the table. Sitting in a random chair, he rested his chin on the wooden surface once again, and sulked to himself.

'Hello,' said the shy ten-year-old. 'I'm Ginny.'

'Hello.' Severus returned and assumed she already knew his name.

'He's had an emotional day.' Molly assured Ginny.

The girl looked rather anxious to be his company. Severus was her new older brother, but also a complete stranger.

'Your new nephew is upstairs in Ron's room.' She added. 'If you would like to see him.'

'Oh, yes!' Ginny smiled and hurried to the stairs, running up them in eagerness to see Harry. She thought all little kids were rather cute, and Ginny had never been an aunt before so she was rather overjoyed to hear she was one now.

Severus, however, thought he must have been in his room longer than he'd realised because Ginny seemed very well-informed of what was going on.

'Where is your husband?' Severus noticed Arthur's absence.

'He's outside in the shed.' Molly said over her shoulder. 'Why don't you go and tell him to come inside for some tea?'

Severus was about to argue, but huffed and left the table.

He strode to the door and shoved it open with more force than what was necessary. Once outside, his gaze trailed in various directions again. He felt mildly calmed by the scenery and cool afternoon breeze. When he was alone, and not being strangled by sweaters, Severus realised how he had been behaving. It started to worry him, because his adult mind was briefly blocked out in moments where he did things like slamming doors and pouting.

He looked upwards at the blue sky, and wondered if it had anything to do with the lightning that had brought about the entire horrible experience. And Potter's foolishness, of course, which Severus reminded himself was also to blame.

He was concerned by his inability to remember his proper manners, composure, and dignified habits when they should matter the most. Unlike the past, even when he'd been fifteen the first time around, Severus had very little control over his behaviour this time around. It made him feel vulnerable, to the point his new age was a fearful factor. His younger self appeared to be alien to him, and also the one deciding how he reacted to his feelings and the situations thrown at him.

Walking to the shed, Severus knocked on the door and peered around it to see what Arthur Weasley was doing. The man was examining something that resembled a telephone, but he decided not to question the insanity of it.

'Ah, Severus.' Arthur greeted him with a smile. 'Would you like to have a look at this?' He asked with eagerness.

'No.' Severus frowned. 'I've seen a telephone before. I came to inform you there is tea in the kitchen.' He said. 'I'm going for another walk.' He added and left the doorway of the garage, knowing he had to keep his distance from the older wizard.

Severus thought Mr Weasley looked like a decent person and a good father, but Tobias Snape had been neither. However temporary or lacking in fact, Severus did not like the idea of having a new father-figure in his life, in memory of how badly it had gone the first time around. No, it was best he stayed away from Mr Weasley and avoided any memories or uncertainty associated with the man's position in the family.

He missed what Arthur said to him, as Severus trailed along the dirt path of the driveway and turned towards the hills. Walking up the sloped grassy area, Severus stood at the top and overlooked the continuing plains of hills and bushes. It looked so far, though some hills blocked a lot of the view beyond. Severus stood there for a long time, taking in the sight and leeching the calmness it provided him.

He thought he would really enjoy living at the burrow if he was the only other person there.


Later that night, Severus hid in Percy's room to evade the general chatter in the kitchen as the family prepared for dinner. When he'd returned to the house near sunset, Molly had commented how nice he looked in his new clothes, and Arthur had tried to strike up a conversation about muggle technology.

Severus hadn't said a word, and headed straight for the stairs.

They didn't understand how hard this was for him. He wasn't just being adopted and moving into a new household, he was also adjusting to being many years younger than he originally was. It felt unnatural, probably because it was, and Severus longed for the silent darkness of his familiar former residence.

There was a knock at the door of the bedroom that wasn't his, which he chose to bluntly ignore.

'Severus?' Molly appeared in the doorway, looking towards where he sat on the edge of the bed. 'It's time for dinner.'

'I'm not hungry.' Severus told her.

'Nonsense! You've hardly eaten a thing all day.' Molly scolded. 'Come along, before it gets cold.'

'I said, I don't want to!' Severus snapped and glared at her, slightly startling the woman.

'Now listen here, young man.' Molly frowned. 'There is no need to be rude. This is an adjustment for all of us, but we're doing the best we can. I will not allow my new son to brood in his room all day. You need to eat, and I respect Percy's wishes to never allow food in his bedroom.'

'Fine!' Severus growled, mostly because he was rather hungry. 'But I reserve the right to be under no obligation to continue or participate in any form of conversation.' He insisted and marched passed her.

He stormed down the stairs, and halted on the final step, as he felt a shift of discomfort again. Ginny and Arthur sat side-by-side and were talking about something he cared nothing for. Severus picked the chair furtherest from them and sat down. Molly finished putting the plates on the table, then annoyed him further by sitting directly to his left.

He glared at her for good measure, then served himself some delicious rolls, vegetables, and mouth-watering roast chicken and potatoes, with gravy. He had to admit, though only to himself, that Mrs Weasley was a great cook. Severus would bet five Galleons it even tasted better than what the Hogwarts house-elves made.

The meal went by without Severus saying a single word.

Molly must have said something to the others because they left him in peace, even if Arthur kept looking his way and seemed to want to ask something. Dessert was a bowl of strawberry ice cream, with a light fruit salad, which Severus also enjoyed despite trying to retain his moody frown. He felt stuffed after the meal, with Molly urging him to have seconds of everything, and didn't know if he had the effort to leave his chair.

Ginny headed up to her bedroom, leaving Severus alone with the two adults. He furiously reminded himself he was technically an adult as well. He knew something important was about to be discussed, with the serious looks the pair exchanged, and decided he would endure it.

'Tomorrow we will work on taking photos of you while you're still fifteen.' Molly spoke first. 'Then we'll need to talk about Harry. Poppy wasn't joking when she assigned him to your care. When he wakes, you'll be older and therefore it will be your responsibility to care for the child.'

'We will help you in any way we can, of course.' Arthur added. 'Being a father is a serious responsibility, but it is also very rewarding.'

'Normally, we wouldn't place so much on you like this and would raise Harry ourselves, but you insisted on being an adult and old enough to father a child. You must accept the consequences of that decision.'

Severus said nothing, thinking they were both insane and had forgotten what a brat the boy could be. He supposed Arthur really had forgotten, but Molly didn't understand how annoying a Potter could be. Once she saw how wild the kid was, Severus was confident she wouldn't take the boy so lightly or pamper him with attention.

'We also need to sign the adoption papers.' Arthur unrolled two parchments, while Molly summoned some ink and a slightly battered quill. 'The first is for your adoption, which we have given you a new name. As our child, we felt it was fitting. The other is for Harry – you can choose his middle name, if you wish.'

Severus was irritated they had given him another name without his approval or knowledge. He snatched the parchment and stared down at it, reading “Severus Isaac Weasley”. He supposed he could live with that. The entire “Tobias Snape” had been erased, like a burden being lifted, but Severus did not dare to let them know how unsettled something so simple had had caused him to feel.

It was just a name, Severus tried to reason, and yet its effect on him was rather confusingly profound.

Severus read the entire roll of parchment very carefully, looking for anything he didn't agree with or any loopholes he could exploit in the future. It was ironclad, and he found little fault in it. Signing his signature, Severus then turned to the other unrolled length of parchment. It was basically identical, though the new name of the child had not been filled out. He glanced at “Harry James Potter”, and wanted to erase that painful reminder just he had with Tobias. He thought about it for a long time, until he finally wrote “Harry Liam Weasley”.

Severus would have given the boy his name as the child's middle name, as it was traditional for father's do give their first-born son's such, but Severus was not entirely convinced he was anything like the boy's father at all. He hadn't even agreed to raise the brat, and intended to spend his time convincing the Weasleys to do it, as he knew they would love him well enough. Spoil him as well, no doubt, but Severus didn't care as long as the boy was safe and not his burden to bear.

--

Severus lay on Percy's bed later that night, looking upwards at the ceiling with his hands resting behind his head. It felt uncomfortable at first, to be lying on someone else's bed, but Severus reasoned it was better than the floor, and Percy didn't need his room right now.

It wasn't very late at night, and Severus was still dressed in the hand-me-downs from earlier. Mrs Weasley had given him a fresh set of underwear she'd bought as a “just in case” a few weeks ago. Severus had shoved them into his assigned drawers and not acknowledged them since.

He had expected to be on his own during most of the time he spent at the burrow - to be treated at least as competently self-sufficient being. Severus couldn't have predicted that Molly would constantly be checking up on him to make sure he had enough to eat or wasn't going without something he needed. It had been downright annoying at first, but now Severus had accepted she'd be bothering him at random times during the day to hassle him about one thing or another.

The longer he was de-aged, the more he felt like it.

Severus, when he'd first woken in the Hospital Wing very early that morning, still considered himself exactly as he had been, only younger. As the hours slipped by, he had difficulty comparing how he felt now to how he had been at thirty-one. His memories were vague and he feared losing them. They haunted him every day, and reminded him why he had the self-preserving habits and attitudes he did, but Severus did not want to lose them.

Not entirely.

By nightfall, Severus felt his new age. He felt fifteen again. He tried to fight it, and reminded himself constantly that he was NOT a teenager and had simply been reduced to looking like one, until it stopped working. His experienced mind was still evident and he didn't lose that side of himself, but his teenage mind and body were dominant. Severus was, as he had been told, a fifteen-year-old wizard with the memories of a thirty-one-year-old.

They were beginning to be only that – memories.

His mind went to the only other person who might have any idea what he was going through. Harry Potter. The boy was still asleep, as expected, in recovery of what had happened. Severus never imagined it would be the boy who might be able to relate to his situation. Once he woke up, of course. All day he'd tried to come into terms with being younger again, and Severus felt he had accepted it enough to get a grip on his emotions and calm his outbursts. He hadn't really done much so far, but the urge to kick something and cuss had been there for the majority of the day.

Rising from the bed, Severus looked towards the closed door of his temporary room, and waited. He heard Ginny (judged by the lighter sounds of footsteps) walk by. Soon after, the adults followed. Severus glanced over at Percy's clock, which sat on the corner of his desk, and saw time had once again left him. Severus had more energy as a teenager, but it slipped away faster too.

He decided to shower and go to bed, as exhaustion was making itself known. He had expected as much, given the events of the day and the changes his body had to rapidly undergo.

Severus opened the door with a towel, his pyjamas, and a fresh pair of underwear draped over his forearm. He glanced warily up and down the corridor before he stepped out of the bedroom and sought the bathroom. Luckily, he had given himself a brief tour earlier to work out where the necessary locations were. Entering the bathroom, Severus thought it looked rather decent considering the patched and aged appearance of the rest of the house. He cast a locking charm, not taking notice of the actual lock on the door, and stripped his clothes to drop them into a nearby hamper.

He had to bite his tongue to stop from yelping when he turned the two shower taps and only cold water poured down on him. Severus wished, for all the things she had told him, Molly had mentioned it would take a moment for the water to warm up.

Once clean, Severus turned off the water and dried himself, still thinking about how different things were going to be. As he dressed in the grey-blue pajamas he had reluctantly picked out, Severus wondered how long he would be residing at the burrow. Molly had told him multiple times that he wouldn't be a burden, though he didn't believe her, and they had plenty of money and resources for him to stay a while. He didn't like that, as Severus believed he should earn his keep, as he was long ago taught.

However, he could not deny that the burrow offered him a safe haven from the rest of the world - whereas he'd otherwise be living in his hated residence in Spinner's End, unemployed, and fearful of his future.

Here, where he was too busy trying to hide from everyone and preserve his sanity, Severus had very little time to worry about everything else and what his future might hold. At least this way he could keep an eye on the Potter brat, rather than stress he wasn't doing his part as protector as per the vow he had made. Dumbledore may have forgotten it, along with the existence of Severus and Harry, but Severus didn't just vow to the headmaster. He vowed to himself, and to Lily, that he would keep the insufferable brat safe from harm.

Leaving the bathroom, after he'd hung his towel on the new designated rack, Severus flinched when Molly spotted him along the curled hallway.

'Ready for bed, dear?' Molly asked him.

'Yes.' Severus returned. 'And I wish to rest undisturbed.' He frowned, making a beeline for Percy's bedroom. Once inside, he exhaled with relief and walked to the bed. Laying down over the covers, Severus resumed his staring upwards and knew he couldn't sleep when his mind was still too active.

-- 

Another hour went by, and Severus was becoming a bit bored.

Yawning, he climbed under the covers of the surprisingly firm, yet comfortable, bed and closed his eyes. He used his Occlumency skills to try and sleep, but it was of little use. Rolling over, Severus was too stubborn to give up, until his agitations continued to climb. He knew he'd need drastic measures if he had any hope of getting some much-needed rest. Tossing back the covers, Severus walked to the door, and once again checked the area was clear before he left the safety of the bedroom.

He tip-toed down the somewhat spiralled steps and surveyed the kitchen. There was plenty of moonlight streaming through the windows, so Severus had little trouble trying to see. He gathered the things he needed, as quietly as he could, and placed them on the nearest counter.

'Severus? What are you doing up?' Molly's voice reached him.

His actions froze instantly, reminding him of the horrible sensation of being caught doing something he had hoped would go unnoticed. Not turning, Severus tried to keep his goblet from view as he answered.

'Nothing.' He said.

'I am the mother of four teenagers, Severus.' Molly sighed, as her way of letting him know she certainly didn't believe him.

She approached the counter to see what he was making. His shoulders hunched with defeat, Severus pretended to ignore her and appear as though he hadn't tried to hide his restlessness remedy.

'Lemon, honey, mint leaves, and milk?' Molly questioned.

'It helps me sleep.' Severus answered in a lowered voice, chopping the last of the leaves and sprinkled them into his milk. The honey was already blended in; all that was left was to slice the lemon and squeeze its juice into his goblet.

'I found a hot chocolate often does the trick as well.' She said, watching his precise movements with interest. 'You didn't need to sneak around the house, dear. Right now this is your home too - you can help yourself to anything you need.'

'This is not my home.' Severus said adamantly, still avoiding eye contact. 'I am merely a guest. I will not be staying here, Molly.'

'Bill and Charlie don't live here either, yet this is still their home.' Molly spoke in a softer tone than usual. 'Home is where you're cared for, not where you always reside.'

'Precisely.' Severus answered, clutching the lemon slice rather tightly as he held it over the goblet.

He didn't know why it bothered him, as it shouldn't, but this wasn't his family, not really. They pitied him and it wouldn't rest on their conscious to let him go homeless, and that was all it was, Severus convinced himself.

Finished his task, Severus waved his wand to clear up the mess, and moved to sit at the table. He wasn't surprised when Molly sat across from him, watching him with sympathetically kind eyes.

'Poppy told me a little about your background.' Molly revealed.

'She had no right to.' Severus growled, staring into the dull liquid contained within his goblet. It wasn't the same as the one he preferred, the one he'd made for Lily, and he was reluctant to drink it. Severus knew he'd have to, if he wanted to get any sleep.

'I'm glad she did.' Molly exhaled. She tried to keep her tone even and less frustrated, brought on by his constant attempts to shove her away before she'd barely said or done anything. 'The details were small, but sad. Severus, what you must have gone through... I can barely imagine.'

'It is hardly any of your business.' Severus still didn't look at her. 'I survived.'

'No matter what you may believe, Severus, you are my son now. I care. I worry about you, and I will do everything I can to make sure you don't suffer the same life you had in the past.'

'Why?' He finally lifted his shadowed gaze to hers. 'Why would you bother? I ridiculed your children at school, I despised the likes of your family for many years, and I belittled the best friend of your youngest son. That aside, I joined the Death Eaters, causing lasting pain and suffering to many. Do you get satisfaction out of charity cases like me? Or are you fulfilling some sort of twisted motherly duty by trying to fix me?' He was angry now, and it showed. 'I'm not a torn sweater! You can't fix what I am.'

His drink forgotten, Severus moved to leave the table, but Molly clamped a hand over his. He could have rudely shoved it aside, yet instead he sank back into his seat and glared at her, wondering what she had to say.

'You are broken inside, Severus.' Molly agreed. 'You don't need fixing, you only need to realise your own value so you can heal. Regardless of what you may believe, you are my child now. I love all of my children, and I would do anything if it meant they happily grew up knowing they are loved.'

'For the last time, woman – I. Am. Not. A. Child!' Severus snarled.

'To a mother, their son or daughter will always be a child even when they've reached adulthood. Do you think Bill, who is in his twenties, is no longer my child?' Molly asked sternly, determined to remain firm and patient. 'If you are not comfortable with having a new family, where you'll be accepted and loved, then I will not push you. But only if you can honestly tell me you don't want that. Tell me you are happy being forced to endure life on your own. That you're proud to react with coldness and indifference to hide the fact you care. And above all you truly think love, in any form, is utterly meaningless.'

Severus lowered his gaze, hating she was right, and did not say a word.

He had many objections regarding what she was saying, such as how he didn't intent to stick around very long and didn't think he deserved any kindness from a single person. He couldn't speak those words, though, because hers had an impact on him. The warmth of her hand over his caused him to look at it, and slowly pull away.

It was unfamiliar, and Severus did not like what he wasn't used to or couldn't control.

'I am undeserving.' Severus said quietly. 'Save your efforts, Molly. I cannot accept.'

The expression on his face, now illuminated by the moonlight, had never been so honest to her. His hurt, his belief that he deserved none of life's treasures, and his deep-cored suffering flitted over his face with just enough time for her to catch the emotions and meaning.

'Do you honestly believe, as a little boy, you deserved to be neglected?' Molly asked, a bit alarmed by what she had feared most. 'To be shouted at, and even harmed, by those who are supposed to care for you? Do you really think, during your time at Hogwarts, you deserved to be bullied and cast aside? That you deserved to be alone without love?'

Severus thought about her words, and knew none of it was his fault. His father's rage, his mother's depression, and the Marauder's arrogance - he was not to blame for any of it. Yet he had been conditioned by all those years of torment that somehow, in some way, it was also because of him.

There was just something about him people didn't like.

'Perhaps.' Severus shrugged. 'Why else would they despise me? Why else would Lily leave me after so many years of friendship? I chose to join the Dark Lord. I wanted to take the mark. I regret nothing more than my foolish errors, or petty desire for revenge and power, but at the time it was what I wanted.' He admitted.

'It took you that long.' Molly whispered. 'After all those years of hurt, and of suffering, you were bound to act out. I forgive you, Severus. Everyone makes mistakes. Yours were inexcusable at times, often horrible, and it led to a lot of pain, but I forgive you because you feel remorse. As long as you regret your unkind actions, and strive to make up for it, you will be forgiven.'

'I don't deserve it.' Severus repeated. 'I don't deserve any of it.'

'You think you don't deserve anything good?' Molly sounded close to tears, which only motivated Severus further to avoid her gaze. 'You have so much potential, Severus. There is a of of good in you if you'd just accept it. Let me help you. Allow this family to be your own as well, and show you what a real family is like. Will you give us a chance, dear?'

Severus didn't answer. He rose from his seat and gulped down his drink quickly, pulling a face at its coldness and strangely bitter taste. He magicked it to the sink, where it washed itself and returned to its place.

He kept quiet and turned to run up the stairs, no longer caring who he woke in his urgency to return to Percy's bedroom. Shutting the door, he gasped for breath, and rubbed his face with his hands. He inhaled and tried to calm himself, but he couldn't. Something was wrong with him. His careful methods of keeping composed were unreachable, disabling his ability to grasp control over his emotions and troubling thoughts. He rushed to the bed and pressed his face against the pillow.

He didn't cry, only because he was far too stubborn to shed a single tear on someone else's pillow.

The door opened, and Molly stood by the wooden frame, being every bit as concerned as she appeared. He wanted her to leave him alone, or at least give him the space to gather himself, but Severus couldn't say a word in worry his dam of insecurity and unexpected longing would break.

'Shhh.' Molly uttered. She stood over him, brushing black strands of hair from his face, as he sat upright and stared anxiously at the floor. 'There is nothing wrong with being upset by the injustice others have placed upon you. There is no shame in your tears.'

Severus closed his eyes tight, trying once again to remind himself who he was and the age he was supposed to be. He couldn't even focus on it, and fought to remember what it had even felt like.

Molly's soft tone in his ear, and gentle hand on his head, only made things worse. Severus thought on his own mother, who always cried in front of him and was easily emotional in her depression. She was supposed to be the strong one for her child, to comfort him when he was scared of his father or hurt by life's general harshness. During almost his entire childhood, Severus had to be careful not to anger Tobias and not upset Eileen.

When he was the one who was angry or upset, Severus had to hide it. Ever since he was a small child, he had to hide and protect himself. He instinctively continued to as he got older. It became as natural as breathing to him, until now, when everything he had taught himself to hide to overcome life's cruelty, slipped away.

With Molly's coaxing, Severus felt his determined grip on his tears begin to slacken.

He didn't know how it happened, but suddenly he had his hands over his face to try to conceal his tears. Molly was beside him, rubbing his back and whispering soothing words. It became too much for him to fight against. Severus leaned to his left, and pressed his hand-covered-face to her shoulder. She held him close, letting him cry for a hurt he could never admit to in the past, and a pain he would have covered up if something hadn't gone askew inside him since the de-aging.

He had no way of knowing this was exactly what fate had planned for him when he'd been temporarily reduced to a teenager.

And it didn't stop there.

After crying for a long time, though as quietly as he could, Severus told Molly how he had to comfort his mother when she cried, and protect himself the best he could against his father's drunken rage, and then travel the longer distances to his classes at Hogwarts to lessen his chances of bumping into the Marauders.

Severus told her how he felt when Lily had left him - taking his only bright glow of hope, and then marrying someone who he hated, who had hurt him, and who made her happy in wasys he hadn't been able to. And then the turmoil of losing her completely, apart from a Potter-like brat with her eyes, and the guilt he could never escape for it.

He talked and cried, in a way Severus could not remember ever doing before.

Molly held him in her soothing embrace and remained strong for him, until he stopped talking and his sobs subsided. She gently slid Severus sideways onto the bed, being careful not to wake him. Lifting his feet underneath the covers, Molly pulled the blankets up to his check and brushed some hair from his young face.

'Sleep well, Severus.' Molly whispered and kissed his forehead, before she turned to leave the room. 'You're safe here. I will never let someone hurt you like that again.'

To be continued...
End Notes:
Thoughts? Opinions? Review?


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=2970