One of Those Days by Anthezar
Summary: One unlucky hit with a strange spell. That's all it took to alter the course of Harry's life - and everyone else's life around him. Bound to stay within ten feet of each other, Harry Potter and Severus Snape have to learn to get along or die trying.

But sometimes in the hardest of times, one can learn things never imagined possible. After all, the past doesn't define the future.
Categories: Teacher Snape > Trusted Mentor Snape, Parental Snape > Guardian Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Draco, Dumbledore, Hermione, Luna, Ron, Sirius, Umbridge
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Angst, Drama, Family, Humor, Hurt/Comfort
Media Type: None
Tags: None
Takes Place: 5th Year
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys
Prompts: Teacher Attack!, Multiple Challenges, Harry's Rant, Joined at the Hip, Secrets
Challenges: Teacher Attack!, Multiple Challenges, Harry's Rant, Joined at the Hip, Secrets
Series: None
Chapters: 50 Completed: No Word count: 127595 Read: 360854 Published: 11 Jan 2014 Updated: 12 Mar 2020
Forty-Eight: What Makes a Family by Anthezar

The silence was louder than the crash of the ocean tide.

 

Severus felt a swell of pride for the boy, tainted with a sting of his own shame.

 

‘Your hatred is not more important than me.’

 

It struck home. Severus had acted, in many ways, similar to how Black acted. If that wasn’t insulting and humbling, nothing was. If Severus had removed his head from his own blasted backside, then perhaps he could’ve seen the signs sooner. What if he’d seen the signs in Harry’s first year? Would events have played out the same?

 

He had no way of knowing.

 

However, there was little use to wallowing in self pity. Severus had acted poorly towards Harry, but he hoped his efforts to rectify his actions were making an impression.

 

Harry wanted to call him Dad

 

Harry Potter wanted to call him, Severus Snape, Dad.

 

Lily, I will do everything in my power to protect your son. I will do more. He will be happy. He will be taken care of in all aspects of his life. He will be loved.

 

I swear to you, Lily.

 

He wouldn’t look to the past any longer. He wouldn’t look back, hoping to see the flutter of long red hair and the sparkle of bright green eyes. He would look forward, where a lonely, abused boy needed a caring father.

 

Time to buy some books.

 

Lupin let out an aggravated sigh. He put a hand on Black’s arm.

 

“Sirius, I know you believe James wouldn’t have been happy about this,” said Lupin. He shook his head. “But I believe James and Lily would be thrilled and relieved that someone like Severus has adopted him. They would be happy for Harry. You don’t honestly think they would rather Harry live with people who actively abuse him, do you?”

 

“No, of course not, but—”

 

“But nothing,” said Lupin firmly. He turned his attention onto Harry, who remained watchful but silent. “Harry, thank you for telling us everything. I know it was difficult to open up about it. Don’t worry too much about Sirius. I’ll work on him.”

 

“I am still in the room, you know,” said Black with a light drawl.

 

“With or without your common sense intact?” asked Lupin, giving Harry a playful wink.

 

Harry smiled.

 

Hey!

 

Severus listened at the rising protests from Black, enjoying hearing Harry’s soft chuckles. The tension dissolved within the room. The conversation turned light between the three of them. It was pleasant to see Harry loosen up. He’d been so tense, his spirit shielded in fear of rejection. Though Black was a childish simpleton, he did love Harry.

 

And that, in Severus’ mind, didn’t make him complete rubbish.

 

After a few minutes of letting them chat, Severus checked the time. Dear Merlin, the day had disappeared. It was long past dinner time. They needed to get back to Hogwarts if they were to get any sleep tonight – even if they didn’t really need it.

 

“Harry, we should be returning to Hogwarts,” said Severus, standing up. “It’s late. Tomorrow, we shall have Pomfrey look you over.”

 

Harry’s shoulders sagged for a moment, but he nodded. As he stood up, Black strode to him and drew him into a bear hug. The man whispered, “You can always come to me, all right? I will always love you, pup. No matter what.”

 

Harry nodded, his arms tightening around Black.

 

“And you’re…” Black glanced over at Severus. His expression grew pinched. “And you’re both welcome over Christmas vacation. I’ll try not to be an arse about it, all right? I’ll be civil with… Snape.”

 

Black gave Severus a curt nod. Harry beamed brighter than the sun. Black puffed up a bit, appearing bolstered by this. Lupin grinned.

 

Blast. This was really happening, wasn’t it?

 

Ugh.

 

 

 

Sweet merciful home.

 

A wave of relief washed over Severus as they arrived in his quarters. The warm color tones of his living space served peace to the soul. It calmed the heart.

 

The boy flooed after him, with only a moment’s delay. The fire spat him out; soot covered the floor. Harry coughed, getting to his feet and brushing some of the soot off his trousers. With a simple spell, Severus cleaned the floor and the boy.

 

“Thanks,” said Harry softly. He continued to brush his pants off, before pausing. His hands dropped to his sides. His body sagged further; a sigh breathed out long and slow. “That was pretty horrible, wasn’t it?” he said. He let out a derisive snort. His features fell. “Sirius… really didn’t like this—” He gestured around himself. “—me being adopted by you. He…”

 

Harry trailed off, sighing deeply. He wandered to the sofa and dropped into a seat. He looked down at the floor, deep in thought. He wrapped his arms around his chest, hugging himself.

 

“Your Godfather will never abandon you. You know that,” whispered Severus. “And neither shall I.”

 

A gentle expression crossed the boy’s face. Harry looked up at him; the light in his eyes were filled with an emotion Severus couldn’t recognize.

 

“I won’t abandon you either,” said Harry, smiling.

 

That emotion was still there. It was so strange to Severus. Why couldn’t he understand what was there? Why couldn’t he read what the boy was feeling? What was it? It wasn’t pride. It wasn’t simple, like happiness.

 

What was it?

 

“After Christmas, you’ll be rooming with some new boys,” said Severus, pausing for a moment. He looked at Harry, raising an eyebrow. “Including some old Slytherins,” he said in a light tone. “Are you prepared for this?”

 

“Prepared?” echoed Harry. He let out a light laugh and shook his head. “I doubt I could be prepared for it. I’m glad Neville will be there at least. But Michael Corner, from what I’ve seen, is a bit arrogant and pompous. I don’t know much about Anthony Goldstein, but he seems like an all right guy. I know nothing about Blaise Zabini.”

 

“Zabini is a quiet, studious boy. Reserved,” said Severus, thinking about his interactions with him. “However, he does not think highly of Muggleborns. You might clash with him.”

 

Harry shrugged. “I figured I might. I’ll probably clash with Corner, too. But at least I’ll be able to become friends with Draco, so that’s something.”

 

“You’re looking forward to that?” asked Severus, surprised by this. “I would’ve imagined otherwise.”

 

“You know he was there when we took down Umbridge, right?” said Harry with a smirk. “He’s an honorary member now.”

 

The boy’s expression darkened.

 

“I don’t think Draco wants to be like his father,” whispered Harry. “I wish things had been different in the beginning. We were both young and stupid. But it’s not too late. Draco shouldn’t be a Death Eater just because it’s the family business.”

 

“So, you want to save him, then?”

 

“I want to protect all my friends from the Dark Git,” said Harry, folding his arms. He slumped against the sofa and sighed. “I don’t like Mr. Malfoy. Every time I’ve seen him, he’s been harsh with everyone, including Draco.”

 

“Lucius is a hard man,” said Severus in a low voice. “His father supported the Dark Lord as well, cementing his allegiance when he became of age. But you must understand, entering the Dark Lord’s service is a lifetime commitment. He cannot back out now.”

 

Harry nodded.

 

“What I tell you now is only for your ears,” said Severus, his voice turning serious. “If I hear any of your friends repeating this, I will not divulge information ever again. Do not betray this trust.”

 

Harry looked up at him, his eyes widening. “Yes, sir,” he said quickly. “I won’t say anything.”

 

Reassured, Severus continued. “The Dark Lord resides at the Malfoy Manor,” he whispered. “Resistance would result in their utter destruction. The Malfoys are not in a position to protect their son. Therefore, Draco will be unable to decline the Dark Mark upon his sixteenth birthday next June.”

 

Harry paled. His arms loosened as he slowly sat up, looking up at Severus.

 

“He’s living with them?” whispered Harry.

 

“Indeed.”

 

Harry dropped his gaze, chewing on his lower lip. His hands formed into fists. “Is Draco going home during the Holidays?” he asked softly.

 

“Of that, I am unsure. I suspect he will stay at Hogwarts.”

 

Harry had a pensive look on his face. He continued to look down at his lap, staying silent for a few moments.

 

Severus could see those gears rolling around in the boy’s head. Knowing Harry, he was thinking about how to befriend Draco before Christmas vacation. Severus let out a deep sigh. He supposed he could express interest to Lucius about Draco staying over during the Christmas vacation. He could spin it in a way Lucius wouldn’t be able to refuse.

 

He wasn’t sure how much time he had, however. The news about Harry’s adoption would hit the papers sooner than later.

 

In a way, Severus hoped Harry would befriend Draco. That boy certainly could do with some light influence. Narcissa would do anything, even defy the Dark Lord, if it meant protecting her son. She would jump at the chance of keeping Draco away from the manor for a time.

 

“Sirius is related to Draco, right?” asked Harry, after a long moment of silence. “Draco’s mother is a Black, right?”

 

“She is Black’s cousin,” said Severus.

 

“So, couldn’t Draco stay with Sirius?” asked Harry, his expression bright and hopeful. “Maybe he could come for Christmas vacation. If they get to know each other, maybe he could stay for the summer as well.”

 

“That is the most optimistic outcome. However, you must understand: if Draco goes against his family, he’s also putting them in danger. The Dark Lord cannot know his deceit.”

 

Harry sighed, nodding. “I know,” he whispered. “There has to be a way to help him.”

 

“Discuss it with him. That is the only way you can know for sure.”

 

Severus put a hand onto the boy’s shoulder. He patted him lightly.

 

“Come now,” said Severus, motioning towards the hallway. “It’s late and though you’ve slept much of the day, I would feel much better if you continued to rest. I’ll have the elves bring you something simple to eat and then I want you to sleep.”

 

“All right, then,” said Harry, standing up and walking with him.

 

“Tomorrow, we’ll be visiting Madam Pomfrey first thing in the morning.”

 

Harry let out a long sigh. “Do I have to?”

 

“Indeed. We want to do everything in our power to make sure you’re well.”

 

As Harry stood at the entrance of the hallway, he paused for a moment. He glanced back at Severus, an expression of shy uncertainty overcoming his posture. Then, the boy looked down at the floor, strode towards Severus, and wrapped his arms around his waist.

 

Severus stiffened. But it passed quickly and he returned the embrace with a few firm pats on the back.

 

Harry pulled away and darted back to the entrance of the hallway. With a glance back at him and a gentle wave of the hand, he said, “Night, Dad,” and disappeared down the hallway, leaving Severus a little breathless.

 

He exhaled slowly.

 

That boy was determined.

 

Severus sat down on the sofa, watching the flames of the fireplace. The dim warm light flickered throughout the room. He leaned forward, dropping his face into his hands.

 

It would’ve been easy to throw up his shields again. These overwhelming feelings, ones that Severus could barely understand, would be much better hidden behind those walls. He’d done it for years, over a decade now.

 

But even though they were overwhelming, they weren’t one hundred percent unwelcomed. It was new. It was wonderful. It was terrifying.

 

And it filled a void in his heart.

 

He took a few minutes to compose himself. He inhaled deeply, sitting up.

 

If, by some miracle, they survived the war the Dark Lord was sure to bring down upon their heads, there was a long future for the both of them. Harry would grow up. He would get married. He would have a family. The connection they had forged would create other bonds. Harry, though a boy now, would one day become a man.

 

As with all families, the relationship between parent and child would change. Severus had, effectively, gained a future friend, a dear companion. It wouldn’t happen for years, though he saw stirrings of it even now. It was such an odd thought. Friends with a Potter. The absurdity.

 

But Severus would gain bonds with Harry’s future partner, whomever that would be. He would gain bonds with his future children. These connections were never something Severus had seen in his future. He had never planned on marrying. He had never planned on having children, whether through reproduction or adoption. The concept of a family had been null and void for his life. He had always assumed he’d remain unattached in all ways.

 

He held a great responsibility to prepare Harry for adulthood.

 

It was a heavy, yet pleasant burden.

 

Tomorrow, he would have Pomfrey do some tests on Harry. He’d have to skip some classes. It was unfortunate, but necessary. Perhaps Severus assumptions were incorrect. Perhaps something else had drained his blood levels.

 

If not, there had to be another answer.

 

After all, this was the wizarding world. Surely they could fix something like blood being drained by his own magic, right?

 

Lily, I pray your boy will survive this.

 

To be continued...
End Notes:
Author's Note: Next update on Thursday, Feb 27th!

THANK YOU ALL for your lovely support. Y'all are amazing. You make writing this story even more worth it.

I had to address the OP Harry worries on fanfiction.net because I kept getting comments berating me or even reaming me out about overpowered Harry stuff. I have not received any such comments here on P&S, but I thought I would still give you all my thoughts on the matter.

These commenters were annoyed by the wand exploding or the Hogwarts magic. They didn't like that Harry was 'different' or seemed to be on the path of becoming 'OP.'

Giving Harry something different isn't in my mind making him overpowered. But I realize that's just me. I never liked the 'Power the Dark Lord knows not' in the books. It never really amounted to Harry having an actual power over Voldemort. Love? Okay, sure. Yay. Enter all of the anime MC's who beat the bad guys with the POWER OF FRIENDSHIP here. Hunting all those horcruxes? Is that a power? Who knows. He's the master of the Elder wand? -eye roll- Haha

In the books, nothing really happened with Harry's 'power.'

Here, I had always wanted to do something different. I'm not interested in repeating the same things exactly as they are in fanfiction. I have plans, but they don't include Harry becoming a brilliant dueler and wiping out all the DEs like I've seen in other fanfics. (Good stories, just not what I was going for)

Hogwarts chose Harry because he's a willing vessel, while Dumbledore wasn't. Hogwarts power stuff won't last because Harry isn't going to be the Headmaster forever. This isn't Harry's power or even the 'Power the Dark Lord knows not.'

I have plans for that. -grins-

Harry's gift and power will be subtle, but still recognizable as such. I already know how they will take down Voldemort in this story. I've been foreshadowing it for many chapters now. It's not going to be the same as canon. ;D

I understand that many readers may or may not trust my word on this. That's fine. Whether or not you, my dear reader, will choose to trust me... Well, that lies with you. I sincerely hope you will, though. Thanks for sticking with me thus far!

-bows respectfully-

If you love my writing and are looking to support the author, then consider checking out my Patreon. (www.patreon.com/anthezar) I'm just starting out with it, but if you want to become part of a fledgling community, then I would dearly appreciate it!

Check out my YouTube channel for vlogs and videos about writing! Just search Anthezar and you'll find me! And if you like my writing, then check out my latest superhero drama fiction The Marked Heroes on my website (www.anthezar.com).

Thanks for reading! See ya next time! If you liked this chapter, then please consider leaving me a vote! Much love! ^.^

Anthy


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=3009