Among The Gemini Trees by JAWorley
Past Featured StorySummary: COMPLETE. Harry and Hermione go to a prestigious summer school, where Snape is a teacher. Unfortunately for Harry, Snape has spoken to the other staff and is on his way to turning the whole school against Harry.
Categories: Healer Snape, Teacher Snape > Trusted Mentor Snape, Teacher Snape > Professor Snape, Parental Snape > Guardian Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Draco, Dudley, Dumbledore, Hermione, McGonagall, Original Character, Other, Petunia, Ron, Vernon
Snape Flavour: Snape is Angry, Snape's a Bully, Canon Snape, Snape is Cruel, Snape is Kind, Snape is Loving, Snape is Mean, Snape is Stern
Genres: Action/Adventure, Angst, Drama, Family, Fantasy, General, Hurt/Comfort
Media Type: None
Tags: Adoption, Hospitalization, Injured!Harry
Takes Place: 6th summer
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys, Neglect, Physical Punishment Non-Spanking, Romance/Het, Violence
Prompts: Another School, Other wizarding cultures
Challenges: Another School, Other wizarding cultures
Series: None
Chapters: 30 Completed: Yes Word count: 171578 Read: 313823 Published: 20 Jan 2014 Updated: 31 Jul 2020
Dried Blood by JAWorley
"Hello Severus- umpf."

"You've been here less than a day and I've had just about enough of you wolf."

Remus' eyes flashed for a moment and Severus didn't miss the wild look in them before the man tempered his reaction to being pushed into his quarters and then held up against a wall. It must have been near the full moon for the normally mild man to wear such a murderous look, but it was gone as soon as it had flashed across his face.

"Severus," Remus said mildly, but his voice was strained. "I assume you've heard about Albus' decision. I can only hope this didn't happen to Harry when he told you."

"He did not tell me. No one told me. Just as no one told me where my son was when he should have been at school," Severus sneered, not letting up on the force he was using against his chest to hold Lupin against the wall. He was certain the man would be bruised.

"Perhaps we should shut the door before talking about this," Remus suggested. Severus growled lightly before letting Remus off the wall and reaching over to slam the door to the man's quarters closed.

"You have no right," Severus seethed.

"Would you like some tea Severus?"

Severus ignored him but Remus went to the small kitchenette in his staff quarters and put the kettle on anyway.

"I am sorry I kept Harry's whereabouts from you."

"You knew I was the boy's father and you continued to conceal him from me."

"It was what Harry wanted."

"I have a right to know where he is instead of continually worrying for his safety."

"Harry has the right to deal with his feelings how he sees fit, which at the time meant staying away from Hogwarts."

"You're just like James and Black," Severus accused.

"Am I?"

"They would do anything to keep Lily from me. Now you do what you can to keep her son, my son from me."

Remus stopped making tea and turned to look at Severus. "They did that," he agreed. "But I'm not James or Sirius, and this isn't about you."

"Isn't about-" Severus started angrily, but Remus had turned his back on him to finish making tea then and seemed content to ignore him until he was done. He turned around a moment later with a cup of tea and set it on the small round table in front of Severus and then set to making his own. Severus was seething by the time Remus had turned around again with a second cup of tea.

"Wolf if you ignore me again-"

"It was about Harry Severus."

Severus glared at him. "What is about Harry?"

Remus sat down with his tea and said, "I wouldn't keep him from you and have no intention to. But Harry didn't want to come back. He needed a place where he could just think through things, and he needed someone that didn't have any other priority than him."

"You believe I would put others before him?" Severus sneered.

"No," Remus said, "but like I said this isn't about you. It never was. I'm sorry I couldn't tell you where he was. I've been encouraging him to come back to school since I got him home. I've been encouraging him to come back and speak to you."

Severus gave Remus a look like he didn't believe him and said, "Which is why you followed him here and then took him as your ward? "I am the boy's father."

"I'm the only one Harry's told aside from Draco. I assumed you hadn't told Albus and didn't want him to know, so when he asked me to watch after Harry I had little choice but to say yes. I told Harry already that I have no plans to interfere with his relationship with you and that you're his guardian and what you say goes."

"I'm sure you said that," Severus said sarcastically.

"It's exactly what I said," Remus told him. "Harry needs you whether he believes it or not. He doesn't have anybody. I'll always do what I can to be there for him and just him, but he believes I'll abandon him the moment he does something wrong." Remus looked uneasy for a moment as he took a sip of his tea and then said, "I think it's what his relatives would have done. I've always had the feeling there was no love lost between them and Harry."

It was Severus' turn to look uncomfortable now. Clearly the wolf had picked up on what Gan and Adeline had. The only one who'd had no idea was Severus. Who else had read all the signs Severus had missed?

"You don't look surprised," Remus said.

"I have- learned some things about his home life."

Remus sighed in frustration. "I don't know that Harry will ever believe that I will always be here for him. We're not related and I can't even claim that I'm his godfather, and he's used to losing people or people trying to get rid of him." He looked up at Severus. "You're his father, and he needs you to prove to him somehow that no matter how bad it gets, you're going to be here for him."

Severus took a drink of his tea and said with less of a sneer than he usually conjured, "I don't need you to tell me how to raise my son."

"I meant what I said Severus," Remus told him. "I've been encouraging him to come back to school and seek you out, to work things out between the two of you. I understand he came straight to you when he got back?"

"Yes."

"He knows he needs you too," Remus said. "You're all he has."

"Apparently he has a wolf as well," Severus said, setting his tea down. He'd known Remus and Harry had spent time together in Harry's third year, but hadn't realized the extent of the relationship they apparently had. Remus had been there for Harry when Severus had yet to realize he had a second son. For the first time since Severus had known Remus, a feeling of respect for the wolf was kindled in him. A feeling of respect for the man.

Severus stood and moved for the door to the man's quarters and Remus didn't move to stop him. "The boy still needs a godfather," Severus said, hand on the doorknob. "I would be unwise not to appoint one for him when war is at our doorstep."

"Severus, I-"

Severus turned back around and took in the stunned and touched look the man wore. "Don't get any ideas," Severus said. "I'm still his father, and I check my food for poison before consuming it." He didn't give Remus a chance to respond, but as he moved into the hall and closed the door, he heard him chuckling.

Severus smoothed down his robes and strode off to update his will.

* * *

"Looks like more people came in the night," Ron commented as they made their way to breakfast a few days later.

"Families," Axle said as they watched a boy and girl about eight and nine years old running after their parents.

"I got the early edition of the Prophet and didn't see any news of an attack," Harry said, wondering why more people were seeking refuge if Voldemort hadn't been out destroying homes. He'd been relatively quiet for the last few days and Harry worried that meant Voldemort knew that his adversary had finally made his way back to Hogwarts. Harry was only glad he didn't seem to be the only one feeling the tension rising. Everyone seemed to be on edge. People still talked and laughed but smiles were strained and laughter nervous and ingenuine.

"They're just scared," Ron said, "and they know you're here. They know this is the safest place."

Harry paled as Ron confirmed his fears that word had gotten out about his return.

"Relax," Ron said, slapping Harry on the back when he caught sight of his friend's face. "You couldn't stay away forever. We knew that. Staff and the Ministry have been beefing up the wards and protective charms for when we're attacked again."

"Is your family coming?" Axle asked Ron, and Harry was curious to know the answer too. He thought they would have been there already, and was nervous about seeing them after all that had happened between him and Ron.

"I don't think so," Ron said. "They're at a safehouse," Ron said with a meaningful look to Harry, who nodded. They must have been at Grimmuald Place. "The wards held at the Burrow during the fire, but just to be safe they moved. They aren't going out anymore either since Dad stopped working at the Ministry."

"He did?" Harry asked. He'd been trying to catch up with everything he'd missed since he'd been gone, but there was a lot he still hadn't heard.

"Death Eaters are in control in high places," Ron said. "They disbanded his office. No need to protect Muggles when you're out there killing them every night." Ron sounded as disgusted as Harry felt.

Axle shook his head as they sat down at the end of Gryffindor table and Draco came over to join them. He had a black eye.

"What happened to you?" Harry asked.

"I'm a sympathizer for being friends with you and my father is a head Death Eater," Draco said. "Half the house wants to be my friend suddenly because they're scared, and the other half has decided I need to be punished. To top it all off I have detention with Professor Snape later for fighting." Draco didn't seem perturbed about the last bit at all. The detention must have been for show.

"Wonderful," Harry said quietly. He looked over at Slytherin table and found that there was a clear divide between the house. There was a gap about five feet wide right in the center of the table.

"Which side is which over there?" Ron asked, looking too. "Just so I know who to be wary of."

"Goyle and Blaise pummeled me last night in my sleep, if that answers your question," Draco said, resolutely keeping his back to Slytherin and filling a cup of coffee up for himself. Harry noticed he was drinking it black.

"That's surprising," Ron commented, still looking over at Slytherin. "I thought Pansy and Milicent would be with them for sure, and Crabbe. Look at him, he's all the way at the other end looking miserable."

"They knocked him around too for trying to get between us last night. Pansy's family is under pressure from both sides right now and Milicent's uncle was killed last year by You-Know-Who, so she isn't particularly keen on being on the other side."

Axle was ignoring his breakfast altogether and watching the other boys go back and forth. "I can't believe this is happening," Axle said. "It's so... bizarre."

The others looked at him, question in their eyes.

"I thought at first the way Harry described the houses at the school was interesting," Axle said. "I thought I'd be a Hufflepuff if I were to go here. But it's so divided."

"You're visiting under extreme circumstances," Neville said, late to breakfast as he sat down next to Harry. "It's divided a little, usually only because of Quidditch and everyone's got pride in their house. "This is different."

"But Harry said there is always something extreme going on here."

"With Harry, Ron and Hermione," Neville said, not with the rest of us.

Ron gave Neville a pointed look and Neville amended, "sometimes with the rest of us, ok. But this is war, and Slytherin has a lot of people on one side and some on the other, and a lot who don't know which side they should be on."

"Extreme circumstances," Axle repeated Neville's words in acknowledgement. "Maybe what I can't believe is that we are in this situation. I would have liked to have visited when everything is normal. I did not believe it was possible to miss Boden this much, or to miss... ach, I don't know the word. Koppla av."

"Not being stressed out every minute of the day," Harry filled in for him. It was so relaxed at Boden. No one there thought of war or prepared for an attack or worried that the war would come to them. Here, now, it was a constant worry, punctuated a little more each day when new refugees showed up seeking safety. Harry missed the quiet of Boden as well.

"Yes," Axle said.

That seemed to end the conversation, but not their thoughts on it, and their entire section of the table grew silent as they finished their breakfast.

* * *

Harry had made up all of the practical work he'd missed in Transfiguration, Charms, and Potions, though he had a lot to catch up on in ‘after school classes'. Madam Pomfrey had asked him to come to the Hospital Wing for an hour for the last two days before breakfast to catch up on basic first aid spells, and then told him if he wanted to learn more to come to Healing in the evenings. Harry was very tempted to take her up on the offer, but had been dragged to various other after school classes by his friends in the few days since he'd been back. Ron had roped him into going to Newsletter and giving an interview to Neville about his time away, and Ginny had asked him to go to Duelling with her. Harry noted that Hermione skipped Duelling that day and felt bad that she was avoiding him. Draco brought Harry along to Defensive Transfiguration and had to spend the entire hour helping Harry transfigure a piece of broken wood into a knife, and then Harry went to Magery with Axle, if for no other reason than to see how people were doing with the Patronus charm. August was right, they were struggling.

Even though teachers were giving them little to no homework aside from practical practice so they could have time to go to their after school classes, Harry had had no time yet to put together a lesson on the Patronus charm. Now it was Friday and it was too late to put anything together as he was supposed to teach that night.

"Remus." Harry stood at the door frame to Remus' quarters, which he was currently using as an office as there was limited space elsewhere. He was keeping his door open so staff and students could seek him out if they needed help with something. Apparently Remus had been busy since they'd gotten there earlier in the week, and had been giving private tutoring to students who needed help in dueling and defense, mostly students from Boden and younger Hogwarts students.

"Harry, come in."

"I was asked to teach Patronus charms in Magery tonight, but I haven't had time to prepare anything."

"You taught it to the DA, right?"

Harry nodded.

"Did you prepare for that?"

"A little," Harry said, his stomach churning at the thought of having to teach in front of students from another school and in front of August, who had faith in him to teach for some reason.

Remus waved his wand and his door closed. "Get out your wand. Show me your patronus. Let's make sure you can cast one."

"I haven't forgotten how."

Remus smiled. "I know that cub. Your state of mind will impact your performance though." Harry swallowed and tried to think of an appropriate memory, and was finding trouble doing so. Now that Remus had said it, Harry was mortified that he might have gone to teach how and not been able to even cast one himself.

"Has anything really good happened since you've been back?"

"Not particularly," Harry mumbled.

"I have something good that happened," Remus said, and Harry looked up.

"Severus came to see me the other day. He said he's making me your godfather."

"What?"

"I almost didn't believe it was true, but he brought papers back later that day and had me sign them. In case of emergency, I become your guardian."

Harry sat back on the small couch he'd taken a seat on and breathed a sigh of relief, not even certain why. The Headmaster had made Remus his guardian even though he couldn't be, because his father was, even if in secret. But then his father had gone and made it official. Harry wondered why as he knew the two of them didn't get along.

"Does that help?" Remus asked with a smile.

"It's a relief," Harry said, though he wasn't sure it was a good enough feeling to conjure a patronus.

"Let's think of something together then." It was an hour before Harry could come up with anything. His previous triumphs in Quidditch and with his friends all seemed dimmed somehow by the overshadowing anxiety of their current situation. Harry was finally able to settle on the memory of sitting by the fire in the common room with Ron and Ginny, Hermione reading a book in the corner and Neville dozing lightly on the couch behind them. He cast a patronus that was bright and clear.

"There you go," Remus said with a small smile. "You said August's class was having trouble casting. Maybe it's for the same reason. Maybe they just need help finding a memory strong enough to cut through all the uncertain feelings of today."

"Will you be there to help?"

"Yes."

Remus wasn't the only one planning on coming to the lesson Harry found out. Ron had shown up even though he didn't usually go to magery, and so had a dozen Slytherins, and a variety of staff. Falk was at a table with McGonagall and Harry was aware Snape was in the door to the Great Hall watching with his arms crossed.

"You all know Mr. Potter," August said, "if not from Hogwarts than from Boden. I've asked him to come help teach wandless casting of the Patronus, as it's something many of you have been struggling with."

"We know, that's why we're here," Harry heard a seventh year Slytherin he didn't know mutter from one of the tables.

"Harry, we've gone over the spell, the wand movements, the movements without a wand, and the basics of how the spell works. Only a few have managed to cast a patronus at all however."

Harry nodded and looked to see that Remus had finally come in through the open door and sat down on the platform the staff table sat on. "Can I have a volunteer who hasn't cast yet, who doesn't mind sharing the memory they're using?" Harry asked.

The seventh year Slytherin who had muttered stood up and came to the front. He was almost a foot taller than Harry and looked irritated to be there but eager to learn.

"What's your memory?" Harry asked.

"When I got an O on my Potions Owl after I'd studied all year for it and thought I was going to fail."

"Does the memory feel strong, or dim?" Harry asked.

"What do you mean?"

"You probably felt relieved," Harry said, "to pass."

"Yeah."

"But how strong was the feeling then?"

"It was very strong."

"And how strong is it now, after everything that's been going on? Have you thought about that Owl you passed lately, aside from trying to cast a patronus?"

"Erm," the boy said, "I haven't."

"Is there a stronger good memory you can think of? Something you think of a lot maybe. Something that's stronger than what's been going on."

The boy thought for a few moments and then said, "I think I've got one."

"You think you've got it, or you know you've got it?" Harry asked. "Is it the best memory you've got, or not?"

"It's the best," the boy said.

"Ok," Harry said. "Cast with your wand first."

The boy cast and a large wisp came out of his wand.

"I thought that was the memory," the boy said.

"It is," Harry said. "Pour more power into the spell as you cast. Make the memory form and take shape. You really have to feel like you did in the memory. Think about every part of that memory that made you feel so strongly, and that will make your patronus strong enough to take shape."

"Perhaps a demonstration," Remus said from behind him. Harry half turned to look at him and then nodded. He thought about how calm and happy he'd felt sitting by the fire with his friends. It had been after exams and there was no more studying to do, and Ron had invited him to go to the Quidditch world cup with them that summer. Ginny's hand had been slightly touching his as they sat on the floor together, and Harry had felt sleepy and comfortable. He'd been content. All of this flew through his mind in only a few seconds. "Expecto Patronum!" Harry said loudly, and a stag burst forth from his wand and galloped over a group of students in front of him, making them leap aside as the force of the spell blew through their hair like a warm wind.

"Show em Harry!" Ron shouted from the back, and someone else whooped. Harry realized it was Neville.

He cancelled the spell and turned to the Slytherin. "Try again. This is your memory. It's part of you, and your patronus will be too."

With a look of determination, the taller boy shouted the spell and a large cat tumbled out of his wand and began rolling on the floor.

"That's boots!" the boy said, stunned. "That's my cat!"

"Huge cat," a girl nearby said and Harry had to agree. It was a house cat, but it was almost half the size of a lion.

A few minutes later they broke into small groups to practice and Harry moved around the groups trying to help people come up with a good memory. Remus did the same, and Harry realized later that Ron and Neville had been moving group to group as well.

"Amazing," August told Remus at the end of the hour. "Ten people in one day," he said, "and one of them a first year."

"Harry's taught a lot of students how," Remus told him.

"I heard, but this is beyond what I'd hoped for. And so many students came today as well."

"They came to learn from Harry," Remus said. "They always do."

Across the hall, Severus removed himself from where he'd been leaning stiffly against the door frame for an hour. He wasn't yet certain if he was perturbed to see Harry and Remus teaching together and working so closely and in such comfort, or if he was relieved that Harry was already close with the person who would care for him if something happened to Severus. Harry and Severus had tutored together and worked together at Gemini and later at Hogwarts, but never in such companionship as he and Remus had done in teaching how to cast a patronus. It hadn't come easy to Severus to work with Harry, and in finally glimpsing the boy's memories Severus knew it hadn't come easy to Harry either. Unsettled, and not completely certain why yet, Severus moved off to his quarters to think on things more.

* * *

"Harry."

"Hm?" Harry looked at Draco.

"Did you hear what I said?"

"Erm-"

Draco didn't point out that Harry hadn't been listening to him at all, and instead said, "Three families from Hogsmeade this morning. At this rate the village will be empty. Madam Rosmerta came in last night I heard."

Harry frowned, but looked to where Draco was pointing. There were four or five children sitting at the end of Hufflepuff table this morning that seemed much too young to be students. Harry recognized one of them as the boy he'd saved just before he'd run into Narcissa. He was glad to know the boy had survived.

"I don't understand why they're coming here of all places," Harry said.

"What are you talking about?" Draco asked. "This is the safest place."

"It was until Voldemort attacked," Harry snapped, feeling irritable as he pushed his eggs around his plate.

"It still is," Draco said.

"Voldemort will break down the barriers," Harry said with certainty. "He'll waltz right in the front door."

"They're very comforted that you've returned," Hermione said quietly from across the table. She'd been sitting over there reading a book and quietly ignoring him, as she had since he'd returned.

"What?" Harry asked.

She looked up and said, "They're here because you're here. They feel safe."

"Well they're wrong," Harry snapped loudly, and got up, leaving his breakfast mostly untouched, and stalked out of the Great Hall in a way he felt sure Snape would have been proud of.

"Were you trying to rile him?" Draco asked Hermione curiously. Harry wasn't usually so irritable.

"No," she said, and looked away.

"You know he feels bad about leaving," Draco said.

"I know."

"Are you two going to- you know."

She looked up and seemed to be trying to gauge Draco's motivations and perhaps his entire personality in that one moment.

"I'm only curious," Draco said when she hadn't answered. "I don't care if you get back together or you don't."

"I don't know," Hermione told him. She rose from the table and took her book and bag with her. Draco didn't think she was going after Harry but figured she wasn't coming back. She looked as hurt as Harry did. She looked like Ron had looked those first few weeks after the term had started and she'd started dating Harry. With all the changes happening around them though, and the tension he was trying to quash down in himself each day, Draco wasn't sure how the three of them were coping with the added hurt and drama of breakups. If it was up to him he'd pull everyone he cared about as close as possible and not let go until everything was over, and even then maybe he still wouldn't let go.

Up two flights of stairs and halfway to Charms, the Headmaster caught up with Harry. He'd followed him out of the Great Hall and found him with the help of the portraits, who were wont to answer any of his questions truthfully as Headmaster.

"Harry, a word if you would."

Harry gripped the strap of his bookbag tight and nodded, wondering what he was in trouble for, and followed the Headmaster to his office in the next corridor.

"Tea?" the Headmaster asked.

"Yes please," Harry said. He was hungry and after he'd left regretted leaving his breakfast behind.

The Headmaster called for an elf, who brought tea and large soft croissants in less than a minute.

"Is everything well my boy?" Dumbledore asked after Harry had had a chance to drink some of his tea and eat a croissant.

Harry shrugged, and then remembering his manners said, "I guess so sir."

"You seemed to be upset when you left the Great Hall."

"I'm sorry for shouting."

"If I heard right, you don't believe Hogwarts is safe."

"It's not that sir," Harry said, feeling for certain he was in trouble now. "I wasn't trying to scare anyone. I'm sorry." What Remus had said about the Headmaster getting angry was still in the back of his mind. Common sense said they didn't want anyone inciting panic, especially with how many people were currently at the castle. Yelling at his friends at breakfast about Voldemort breaking down the wards probably wasn't the smartest thing to do if he didn't want to raise the Headmaster's ire.

"I realize I'm not Remus, and that you've been going through something," Dumbledore said, referring to Harry running away, "but I'm here to help if there's something you're trying to work through."

Harry fiddled with his fingers for a moment and then said, "Everyone's coming here because of me."

"You disapprove?"

"Hermione said they're coming here because they're comforted by my presence or something, but I can't fight Voldemort on my own. I'm not strong enough. He'll attack again, and everyone here will be in danger. They should all be going far away from me, not flocking to me. You sent me to Gemini to train, but I feel like all I can do is send a tongue tie at him or jelly legs him to death."

Dumbledore didn't say anything, but he nodded in thought and was silent for a few moments, thinking over what Harry had said.

"In your parents time, the Order of the Phoenix was started as a secret society... a secret rebellion against Tom Riddle and his followers. We believed it was necessary. People like Professor Snape could infiltrate Voldemort's ranks, blend in, and gather information we could use to fight him. Your acts of defiance, or seeming acts of defiance in the papers, have started a very public rebellion, especially amongst the young people Harry. You and your friends called it Dumbledore's Army, but I've always believed it should be called Potter's Army as it's always been your rebellion. Your rebellion against those who would use their power against you in the worst way... against Umbridge, and Death Eaters and Tom.

"I never wanted to start a rebellion though," Harry said, desperate for the man to understand that he wasn't meant to lead anybody and that people shouldn't be following him at all. "Ron and Hermione are the ones who wanted to start the DA when Umbridge wasn't teaching us."

"Perhaps so," Dumbledore said, "but when they wanted to start it, did they plan it all themselves? Did they say, ‘how shall we teach our friends?'"

"No," Harry said, brows furrowed. He wasn't sure where this was going yet.

"They wanted to start the DA so you could teach them," Dumbledore said. It wasn't a question.

"Yes but-"

Dumbledore held up a finger and Harry quieted so he could continue.

"When you went to the Department of Mysteries," Dumbledore said, and Harry swallowed hard. He really didn't want to talk about this. "They followed," the Headmaster finished. "Did you ask them to?"

"I asked them not to," Harry said, but he remembered Hermione sitting with him at Gemini and asking him, ‘if we don't go with you, who will?'

"I've watched this rebellion grow from a few children who wanted to stand up for themselves, to something much larger. When you saved Florean Fortescue and vandalized Diagonalley, people saw it as a call to arms, to stand up for those who need protecting. Fortescue came to Hogwarts seeking refuge and told anyone who would listen how Harry Potter came out of the dead of night and saved his life, calling upon the elements of magic to crush the spirit out of a Death Eater. That act inspired others to spread your message Harry, "Dumbledore's Army Lives." Without knowing what it means to you, or why you did it, they wanted to follow you Harry. Despite the name of the army, you were the one who inspired them. Perhaps it was foolish of me to have a secret society geared at destroying Tom Riddle when a true rebellion was what was needed. A public rebellion. What the Order does is necessary, but the missing piece is the public's support. People are tired of being targeted just for being born to Muggle parents. They're tired of being targeted because they don't support Tom Riddle or his followers. They're scared too, but your private rebellion against him has turned their fear into something much bigger and more important: the will to fight."

"I'm not meant for this," Harry said.

"You said you weren't strong enough to fight him alone. Neither am I."

"But you're the only-"

"one he's scared of?" Dumbledore finished. He chuckled. "He was never scared of some secret power people think I wield. He was concerned about the ability I have to rally people around a cause... to rile people up enough to stand against him. Now you've scared him Harry. Look what you've done with his attacks... what your friends have done in the papers. You've scared Tom into complete silence. Whether you want to be, or whether you feel like it or not, you're the leader of Dumbledore's Army. No one expects you to do this alone Harry, and with the people you've called to you, you won't have to."

"I don't want people to get hurt because of me."

"When people get hurt in this war, it will be because they finally decided to stand against a tyrannical murderer, or because they decided to stand for him."

"So you're saying I have to lead this... lead them."

Dumbledore leaned forward in his chair and patted Harry's hand across the desk. "You only have to continue being you dear boy. Continue being you, and they will follow."

* * *

Harry was sent on his way with a note excusing him from the Charms lesson he'd missed while talking to the Headmaster, another croissant, and the feeling he wasn't quite understanding all that Dumbledore had said.

He frowned as he passed Professor Falk in the corridor and the Boden teacher gave him a knowing look and a small smile. Harry wanted to curse at him because he still hadn't understood all of what Falk had said to him weeks ago at Boden either and had noticed the teacher watching him closely since Harry had returned to Hogwarts, as if waiting to see what he'd do. The man had talked about Harry facing his truth and it determining the rest of his life. Falk hadn't known that Harry had been running from facing Snape so he knew he couldn't have been referring to that as Harry's ‘truth'. What he had meant Harry didn't suppose he'd ever know, and he wished the man would stop watching him to see what he was going to do like a soap opera on the telly.

The End.
End Notes:
I know this chapter had a lot of little moments and we saw from a variety of people, but there were things and conversations that had to happen and I wanted to portray what the castle and it's inhabitants are going through right now.


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=3017