Fire and Ice by xVortex of MemoriesX
Summary: When Harry Potter is abandoned, truths will be revealed, preconceived notions will be shattered, enemies will become friends and the fates of one boy surrounded by secrets and lies, one man haunted by the demons of his past and the entire Wizarding World will be altered…
Categories: Healer Snape, Parental Snape > Guardian Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Draco, Dumbledore, Fred George, Hedwig, Hermione, Lucius, Luna, McGonagall, Narcissa, Neville, Remus, Ron, Sirius, Voldemort, Wormtail
Snape Flavour: Snape Comforts
Genres: Action/Adventure, Drama, Hurt/Comfort
Media Type: None
Tags: Adoption, Alternate Universe, Azkaban Character, Snape-meets-Dursleys
Takes Place: 2nd summer, 2nd Year
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys, Neglect, Violence
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 6 Completed: No Word count: 23296 Read: 23283 Published: 05 Feb 2014 Updated: 01 Jun 2014
Some Suspicions Confirmed by xVortex of MemoriesX

            Severus’s personal study was a brightly-lit room with a mahogany wood desk at its center behind which was a comfortable looking chair. Behind the desk was a bay window that allowed for a view of the backyard and next to the desk was a bookshelf while the portrait of Severus’s glowering mother rested on the wall on the other side of the desk.

            Severus, closing the door behind him, turned to face his mother. “What’s this about, mum?” he asked.

            Eileen folded her arms across her chest. “Why didn’t you tell Harry that you were his mother’s best friend?” she asked.

            “I didn’t exactly have the time, mum,” Severus said.

            “That’s only an excuse, not a reason. You could’ve easily asked him to stay behind in class and told him.” Eileen narrowed her eyes studying Severus who avoided her look before she said sharply, “Why didn’t you tell him?”

            “I don’t need to explain myself, Mum,” Severus snapped.

            “Don’t take that tone with me, young man,” Eileen said sharply. “I may only be a portrait but I’m still your mother! Harry’s an orphan and there’s no telling if he even knows anything about his parents. Don’t you think he would be curious to know something about his mother?”

            “I thought he already knew about his parents. Merlin knows he learned a lot about his father during his first year and I thought Petunia would’ve told Harry about her sister,” Severus said.

            “Petunia? You mean to tell me that Harry went to stay with Petunia after his parents were killed? Even I knew that Petunia resented everything to do with magic. Do you honestly think she would’ve told Harry about Lily?”

            “At the time, I did,” Severus admitted.

            “At the time?”

            “I’ve recently learned that Petunia was not a…suitable guardian for Ha…Potter,” Severus said barely stopping himself from calling Potter by his first name. His voice was cold and Eileen narrowed her eyes.

            “It’s more than that isn’t it, Sev?”

            Severus has never been able to lie to his mother so he simply nodded.

            “What happened?”

            “I only have suspicions, mum, but Petunia and her husband abandoned Ha…Potter,” Severus said.

            “She abandoned him?” Eileen’s voice rose in anger as she hissed, “What kind of aunt would abandon her nephew? That’s horrible.”

            That’s what Tobias would’ve done if he had the chance, Severus thought bitterly.

            Eileen calmed down before she said, “That poor boy.” She shook her head.

            Severus didn’t respond to that.

            “Are you going to speak to Harry about his mother?” Eileen asked. “He deserves to know about both of his parents and you knew Lily better than anyone except Petunia.”

            While Severus didn’t like remembering a time when he and Lily were friends, he knew his mother was right. “Very well, mum. Now I should check on the ice phoenix,” he said.

            Eileen nodded and Severus turned before walking out of the study and making his way into the lab to check on the ice phoenix. The ice phoenix was stirring as Severus walked over to the table and she slowly lifted her head to look at Severus with beautiful icy blue eyes. She trilled softly before resting her head back down.

            Severus gave the ice phoenix some water before examining the healing wound on her chest. He frowned when he noticed it was healing a lot slower than he would have expected considering ice phoenixes heal a lot faster than normal. “At least it isn’t infected,” he murmured wiping away the dry blood before giving the ice phoenix more water.

            The ice phoenix continued to observe him as he worked and he was a bit unnerved by her gaze. She said nothing though not that Severus was surprised; ice phoenixes only ever talked to someone whom they deemed worthy and whom were pure or not evil. Considering Severus’s past actions, he wasn’t at all surprised.

            After he finished, he left the ice phoenix to rest some more before casting a spell to alert him when the ice phoenix woke up.

/////

            ‘Ice phoenixes normally live in places in which the climate is extremely cold but the only known colony of ice phoenixes live in Greenland. Ice phoenixes are master healers and, like their fire cousins, their tears are a known cure for basilisk venom. Ice phoenixes also have icicles on their wings that can be used to heal minor cuts and bruises. They are very knowledgeable in herbs and berries that can be used in healing potions and they have the ability to sense physical pain and determine where physical injuries are located.

            Ice phoenixes normally do not go near witches or wizards and have the ability to know whether someone is evil or not. They will willingly go near a witch or a wizard who is not evil but will not talk to them unless they feel the witch or wizard is worthy. Usually, ice phoenixes only speak to those who are pure of heart. However, they are also able to determine whether someone is in conflict and can sense emotional pain in anyone even if they are a master of occlumency.

            Harry put the book down as the last word caught his mind. What’s occlumency? He wondered before he decided to look it up later and went back to reading. He got through another chapter of the book he had been reading before he realized it was time for lunch. Closing the book, he returned the book to the bookshelf and left the library.

            He walked back into the living room and headed toward the kitchen to make himself some lunch. He was halfway done with lunch when Snape entered the kitchen his face as expressionless as usual. “Potter,” he said by way of greeting.

            “Professor, how’s the phoenix?” Harry asked.

            “Recovering,” Snape said making his own lunch before sitting down.

            Harry was also curious to know what happened between Snape and his mother but knew it was pointless to ask as it wasn’t his business. He was also curious about whether Snape really was his mother’s best friend or not. So he focused on his lunch. However, to his surprise, Snape decided to break the silence.

            “I’m surprised you haven’t asked me about what my mother told you earlier,” Snape said.

            Harry shrugged before looking at the Potions Professor debating whether to just ask him. Snape had been receptive of his questions before but then none of those questions were as personal as these ones. And yet if Snape really did know Harry’s mother then why shouldn’t Harry ask? He knew some things about his father but nothing about his mother other than the fact that he had her eyes.

            It was the desire to know more about his mother that had him asking, “Sir, did you really know my mother?”

            “I did,” Snape said much to Harry’s surprise. He hadn’t expected Snape to answer. “Just as my mother told you, she was my best friend.”

            “She was? You really did know her? Why didn’t you tell me?” Harry wasn’t sure whether to feel angry or upset by this revelation.

            “I had assumed Petunia told you about her, an assumption that has been proven wrong by recent events,” Snape said.

            “You knew Aunt Petunia too?” Harry asked.

            “I did. Your mother and I lived down the same street when we were growing up. We became friends when we were six,” Snape said a reminiscent look in his normally emotionless obsidian eyes.

            “What was she like?” Harry asked hopeful that the Potions Professor would tell him more about the mother he never knew.

            “Kind,” Snape admitted, “intelligent and very brave. She graduated at the top of her class. She wasn’t above helping others and was very compassionate to everyone. She was also very forgiving and willing to give others second chances even when they felt they didn’t deserve it.” Snape’s eyes took on a haunted look as he said those last words but it vanished almost as soon as it appeared and Harry wondered if he had seen it at all.

            “She also had a temper and very few people could win an argument with her,” Snape added. He looked thoughtful before adding, “Did Petunia have any pictures of her?”

            Harry shook his head. “No but Hagrid gave me a photo album that had a few pictures of my parents and me when I was a baby,” he said sadly. He looked toward Snape before adding, “Did you know my father too?” He figured Snape did but was curious to hear what the Potions Professor would say.

            “I did,” Snape said. “We never got along to say the least.”

            “Is that why you were such a jerk towards me in class?” Harry asked before he could stop himself. Eyes widening as he realized what he just said, Harry started to apologize.

            “I’m sorry, sir, I didn’t…” he began.

            “Rest assured, Potter, this isn’t the first time I’ve been insulted. I’m used to it. In answer to your question, in part it was. I thought you were like your father but…recent events have caused me to realize my assumptions were not true, which is why I would…like to apologize for my actions toward you during the school year.”

            Harry blinked unsure of where that came from; Snape had just apologized to him? No adult has ever apologized to me. I’m just a freak, freaks aren’t worthy of apologies, he thought.

            “Who told you that?” Snape demanded fury coloring his voice that caused Harry to jump and the boy realized he had said his thoughts out loud.

            “I…no one,” Harry said quickly.

            Snape narrowed his eyes. “You’re lying,” he said and Harry paled even more. “Who told you that, Potter?”

            Harry didn’t answer.

            Snape pinched the bridge of his nose and sighed. “You must know that isn’t true, Potter. You are not a freak,” he said.

            “Uncle Vernon said I am ‘cause I do magic,” Harry murmured.

            “Do you think your friends are freaks, Potter? Or Professor Dumbledore?” Snape demanded.

            “Well, no.”

            “Then why would you believe that you’re a freak just because your muggle uncle said you were. He’s a muggle and muggles don’t understand magic. Humans have a tendency to fear and hate what they don’t understand, Potter,” Snape said.

            Snape’s words made sense but Harry decided he didn’t want to talk about his relatives anymore. The last thing he wanted was to let slip something else; if Uncle Vernon found out he told someone about what occurred in the Dursleys’ household then he would be in for a world of pain when he went back to the Dursleys.

            “Can you tell me more about my mum, Professor?” he asked.

            Snape was silent for a long moment. “What do you want to know?” he asked finally.

            “What was her favorite subject at Hogwarts?” Harry asked.

            “Charms,” Snape said. “She was brilliant with Charms. She often spoke of how she wanted to become a Charms Mistress after she graduated.”

            “Did she like Quidditch?”

            Snape snorted. “No, that was your father’s arena. She was a bookworm and spent quite a bit of her time in the library. She didn’t care for flying and only did it because she had to,” he said.

            “Oh so am I like her at all?” Harry asked.

            Snape was silent for a long moment. “I don’t know you well enough to answer that, Potter,” he said finally before he lifted his head. “Looks like our phoenix guest is awake.” He stood up before returning his empty plate—Harry hadn’t even noticed when he finished eating—to the sink and then making his way to the cellar.

            He also finished eating before placing his plate in the sink and joining the professor.

/////

            A scream tore through the silence of the manor jolting Severus sharply out of his sleep. Sitting up, he quickly determined that the scream was coming from Potter’s room. He got to his feet and dashed across the hall to Potter’s room his wand falling into his hand as he made his way into the room.

            He narrowed his eyes as he gazed at Potter who was tossing and turning in his bed screams of pure agony and fear tearing from his mouth. He moved over to Potter’s bedside knowing he would have to wake the boy up before sitting down. “Potter,” he called reaching over to shake the boy.

            “Don’t hit me,” Potter whimpered shrinking away from Snape who froze in shock at the boy’s words.

            Did he just say what I think he said? Snape thought stunned.

            “I’m sorry, Uncle, I’ll be good, please don’t hit me,” Potter cried as he tossed and turned.

            Snape gritted his teeth. He would have to worry about what Potter said later. “Potter! Wake up!” He tried again shaking the boy’s shoulders but the boy still kept begging his uncle to not hit him.

            “Potter, Harry! Wake up!” Severus called again unsure why he thought the use of Potter’s first name would work and yet it did.

            Potter’s eyes snapped open as he finally managed to break free from his nightmare. Snape sat back observing the boy as he curled up wrapping one arm around his knees while using the other to put his glasses on.

            “Professor?” he whispered before his eyes widened. “I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to wake you up.”

            “Potter, what were you dreaming about?” Severus said though he had a good feeling he already knew. He was convinced now that his suspicions that Potter was being mistreated at his relatives were true

            Potter looked down. “It’s nothing,” he said.

            Severus could tell that the boy was lying and he pressed his lips together. He had to treat this matter carefully; abused children were conditioned to never speak about their abuse to anyone in fear of retribution. It was a delicate matter but Severus has handled such cases before and knew what to say.

            “Harry, nothing said here will leave this house. What were you dreaming about?” Severus said as soothingly as he could manage. He knew using the boy’s first name would startle him but Severus felt it would help matters more than hurt them.

            “Nothing,” the boy repeated.

            “It didn’t sound like nothing. You were asking your uncle not to hit you,” Severus said going on to one of the things he overheard while he was trying to wake the boy up.

            Potter paled.

            “Harry, did your uncle hit you?”

            “N…No…” Potter began.

            “Harry, I heard everything you said,” Severus said. “Now answer me.”

            Potter seemed to tremble as fear clouded his features. “I…I can’t. He…he’ll be mad,” he whispered.

            “Harry, nothing you say here will leave this house,” Severus said again.

            “He’ll find out. He always does,” Potter said looking down at the covers.

            “This manor is protected. Only witches and wizards can see this valley and only those with permission can enter this valley,” Severus said.

            Potter played with a loose thread and didn’t respond.

            “Harry…”

            Potter closed his eyes. “If you already heard everything then why are you asking?” he asked.

            “I only wish for confirmation, Harry,” Severus said.

            Potter kept his eyes closed. “Why do you care?” he whispered.

            “I’m your teacher, Harry, and your current guardian. It’s my duty to make sure you’re safe. If you’re being abused at your home…”

            “I’m not…” Potter began.

            “…then I’ll do what I must to remove you from your relatives’ care,” Severus said sneering out the last word.

            Potter’s head shot up sharply and his eyes widened. “But Professor Dumbledore said I had to stay there,” he protested.

            “I do not condone abuse, Harry and if you are being abused then I promise I will not let you get sent back to that place no matter what Professor Dumbledore says,” Severus said firmly.

            Potter’s eyes seemed to well with tears and he hastily wiped them away while Severus was thankful the boy hadn’t burst out crying. He wasn’t that great at dealing with crying pre-teens.

            “Did your uncle hit you, Harry?” Severus asked.

            Potter closed his eyes and nodded slowly.

            “Why?”

            Potter’s voice shook as he spoke. “I…I hadn’t finished my chores in time,” he whispered.

            Severus gritted his teeth as he thought about his own father who would hit him if he hadn’t finished doing his chores on time too. He pushed his thoughts away as he thought about what to do. He figured there was more to the story but he also knew that he wouldn’t be able to get Potter to talk about everything at once. He’d have to get Potter to open up gradually.

            “Do you think you can go back to sleep or would you like some dreamless sleep?” Severus asked out loud.

            “What’s that?” Potter asked curiously.

            “It’s a potion that allows the drinker to enter a dreamless sleep, hence its name,” Severus said.

            Potter hesitated. “I think I’ll be fine,” he said softly.

            “Very well,” Severus said before he stood up. “Good night.”

            “Good night, Professor,” Potter said softly before he rested his head on his pillow and closed his eyes.

            Severus left the bedroom before making his way to his room thinking about what he learned.

To be continued...
End Notes:
I hope that you enjoy this chapter. Reviews, as always, are much appreciated.


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=3019