Wings of Sun by That_One_New_Pokemon
Summary: Around a young witch or wizard's eleventh birthday they acquire wings, a sign that they have developed their full magic. Many worship their new wings, but to Harry, it's just another sign that he is a freak. Severus Snape is assigned his guardian over the summer before Harry's first year. It is up to him to teach young Harry the ways of the wizarding world and to come to terms with his newfound fame. But there is darkness lurking around every corner, and if Harry is not careful, it will be the last thing he ever knows. Eventual Severitus.

Response to Mellow Moon's Wizards with Wings challenge
Categories: Parental Snape > Guardian Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Dumbledore, Hermione, McGonagall, Neville
Snape Flavour: Snape Comforts
Genres: Family, Fluff, Hurt/Comfort
Media Type: None
Tags: Slytherin!Harry, Snape-meets-Dursleys
Takes Place: 1st summer before Hogwarts, 1st Year
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys, Neglect, Profanity
Prompts: Wizards With Wings
Challenges: Wizards With Wings
Series: None
Chapters: 13 Completed: No Word count: 79730 Read: 54890 Published: 05 Mar 2015 Updated: 11 May 2016
A Surprising Birthday by That_One_New_Pokemon

Harry had always known that he was a freak. Uncle Vernon had enforced that quite enough. But this, this would have to be the icing on the cake.

 

Stepping closer, Harry turned sideways, looking at the copper brown wings that protruded from his back. They looked like a bird's wing, sort of like a golden eagle's, something that Harry only knew from the bird book he had managed to sneak from the school's library.

 

He folded them, testing their flexibility, then stretched them out to their full span. They folded against the walls of the bathroom. He touched them, running his hand down the outer feathers. They were soft.

 

As if burned, he quickly retreated his hand.

 

This was bad. This was very bad. If Uncle Vernon saw, he would be punished severely. It was one thing to make things happen unexpectedly, but it was something else entirely to be a mutant freak.

 

He tucked them close to his back, as tight as he could without it being painful. He put his shirt on and made sure the fabric covered his wings completely. There was a small lump near his shoulder blades, but it would have to do.

 

Quietly, as to not disturb the sleeping occupants in the next room, he tiptoed to his cupboard. He undid the latch, and folded himself into the small space. Huddled in the corner, he shut his eyes.

 

~'~

 

The next morning was eventful to say the least. Letters addressed to him had arrived in the hundreds, some coming from the mail slot and others from the fireplace. One stuck itself through the crack in the kitchen window.

 

Finally, Uncle Vernon had enough. He ushered them all to the car and went to hotel after hotel. The letters seemed to follow them wherever they went, the addresses changing to where they were. By the end of the day, Harry had found himself on the dirty floor of a house on the rocks in the middle of raging waters, a large storm sloshing the waves over the rocks. Dudley was snoring on the couch, one arm over the side. Scowling and putting a raggedy jacket over his head to block the sound, Harry continued doodling in the dust.

 

He contemplated letting his wings out, as they were starting to hurt. He listened for Uncle Vernon and Aunt Petunia, only hearing rhythmic snores coming from the other room. He took off his shirt, letting his wings unfurl. Oh, that was so much better.

 

He ripped holes in the thin shirt, right where his shoulder blades would be and put it back on. After a couple of tries, he stuck his wings through the holes he had created.

 

He double checked to make sure his aunt and uncle were still asleep then turned to look at Dudley's watch.

 

11:59. One more minute until he would be eleven. He counted down silently in his head.

 

5...

 

4...

 

3...

 

2...

 

1...

 

"Happy Birthday to me," he whispered. Exactly after he murmured that, a loud bang came from the wooden door.

 

Harry jumped back, and Dudley leaped from the couch to the far wall, completely awake.

 

Another loud bang and the door broke down. A large thing was standing in the doorway. It ducked down and came into the room.

 

Harry gasped.

 

The "thing" turned out to be a very large man whose face was mostly covered by a very scraggly beard. He had on a large dirty beige furry coat with way too many pockets. A necklace of dead chickens hung from his neck.

 

"'Arry Potter!" the man yelled. Harry shrunk back. "I'm looking for 'Arry Potter!"

 

Timidly, Harry raised his hand. "I'm Harry Potter."

 

The man looked down and to Harry's surprise, smiled. The man began to rummage in one of his large pockets, murmuring,"It' must be here somewhere."

 

Finally the man pulled his hand from his pocket, letter in hand. He handed the letter to Harry.

 

"The name's Rubeus Hagrid." the giant man introduced. "But you can call me Hagrid."

 

"Harry Potter," Harry stuck out his hand that wasn't holding the letter. Hagrid's hand enveloped nearly his entire forearm. Hagrid's face split into another wide grin as he looked at his back. "Blimey, 'Arry! Ya got ya wings! They look exactly like yer mum's!"

 

Too late did Harry realize that his wings were out in the full open and that Dudley could see them perfectly. He turned, scared, only to find Dudley staring at Hagrid, eyes wide and full of terror. He didn't even seem to notice Harry's wings.

 

"Uh, what? My mum's? You knew my mum?" he asked. "I thought they died in a car crash..."

 

Uncle Vernon and Aunt Petunia chose that moment to come down the stairs.

 

"What is going on here?" Uncle Vernon bellowed. Upon seeing the giant man standing in the room, Aunt Petunia shrieked. "You can't take him away! You can't! I won't allow it!"

 

Uncle Vernon ran back to his room and returned with a shotgun. He promptly pointed it at Hagrid, the double barrels going right between his eyes.

 

Hagrid simply put out his hand and grasped the gun. He twisted the barrel into a knot and handed it back to the Dursleys.

 

"Listen 'ere, I wan' no more distractions, do ya hear me, Dursleys? Harry is gonna read 'is letter, and then he is going to come with me, whether you like it or not." he growled. His nose was inches from Vernon's. Uncle Vernon gulped and nodded.

 

"Alrig', 'Arry, you can read ya letter now." Harry looked down at the envelope.

 

"Hogwarts?" Harry questioned. "What's a Hogwarts?"

 

"'What's a Hogwarts" he says! Didja teach 'im nothin' about who 'e is?" Hagrid whirled around and sent an icy gaze to the Dursley's, who shrank back in terror.

 

"He didn't need to know! There is no point! He will not be going to that-to that school!" Aunt Petunia yelled.

 

"NO POINT?" Hagrid bellowed. Dudley shrieked and hid behind his father. ""Arry 'ere has been enrolled since the moment of 'is birth! The son of James and Lily Potter will most certainly be goin'!"

 

"DO NOT BRING MY SISTER INTO THI-" Hagrid pulled out a large pink umbrella and pointed at Petunia. With a snap, her mouth shut and she fell silent. She glared at Hagrid.

 

Uncle Vernon opened his mouth to say something, but Hagrid pointed his umbrella and he too fell silent. Hagrid whipped around towards Dudley.

 

"Do I need ta do you too?" Dudley shook his head rapidly. Hagrid turned back to Harry.

 

"Finish."

 

Slightly scared and slightly grateful for the silence, Harry turned back to his letter.

 

"To Harry Potter on the Hut on the Rocks from Hogwarts, School of Witchcraft and Wizardry." Harry looked at Hagrid in confusion. "Witchcraft and Wizardry? What does that mean? There's no such thing as magic."

 

Hagrid looked like he was about to explode. "NO SUCH THING AS MAGIC? NO SUCH THING AS MAGIC?" He turned back around to the Dursleys, who looked they were about to soil themselves. Judging by the smell and the dark spot in between his legs, it looked like Dudley already had. If looks could kill, the Dursleys would have been puddles of goo on the floor.

 

Hagrid pointed his umbrella in Uncle Vernon and Aunt Petunia's face. "I swear ta Merlin' above, if this is some kinna joke..."

 

Harry tugged on Hagrid's coat. "Mr. Hagrid, its fine. You don't need to hurt them. They didn't mean it..."

 

"Like 'ell they 'id." Hagrid growled.

 

"Mr. Hagrid, please." Hagrid looked back at Harry, and seeing Harry's expression, his arm slowly lowered.

 

"I'm gonna take 'Arry with me. 'E will be goin' ta Hogwarts, and there's nuthin' you can to ta stop me. Now I'm gunna get rid of that silencin' spell on ya, and I don't want any smartmouthin' ya hear?" Hagrid swished his umbrella and the Dursleys' jaws fell open, finally able to speak again.

 

"We'll be leavin' in tha mornin', 'Arry. Yeh can finish ya letter then, when tis rain 'as cleared up a bit." With that, Hagrid took off his coat and tossed it over Harry. Harry struggled to pull it over his head, his wings fluttering madly. Hagrid lifted the coat off of him, looking sheepish.

 

"Sorry 'bout tha'." Hagrid apologized. "Was angry and didn't know mah own strength."

 

"S'fine." Harry's stomach growled loudly then, and he remembered he hadn't eaten anything since yesterday morning.

 

Hagrid snapped his fingers. "Tha' reminds me!" Hagrid reached into his front pocket of his pants. His hand seemed to go on forever. His arm disappeared and returned, holding a lopsided box.

 

"It's a cake. Fer yer birthday. May be a bit flat, but it should still be good." He opened the box. A blue cake with purple frosting reading "Happy Birthday Harry" was inside. The letters were lopsided and looked like childish scrawl and Harry figured Hagrid had made it.

 

He put some frosting on his finger and tasted it. It was the best cake in the universe in Harry's opinion. He gave Hagrid a smile.

 

"Thank you, Hagrid." Dudley suddenly appeared, pushing Harry away and began to grab handfuls of the cake, stuffing the pieces into his mouth.

 

Dudley jumped away with a yelp, hands grabbing his large bottom. In between his hands, Harry could see a curly pig's tail protruding from Dudley's behind.

 

"WHAT DID YOU DO TO MY SON?" Vernon bellowed as Dudley ran to him bawling, large crocodile tears rolling down the chubby cheeks.

 

"Nuthin' he didn't deserve." Hagrid sneered, and Harry thought he looked rather terrifying right then. He was glad he wasn't on the other end of the umbrella.

 

"Ya better leave, Dursley. Go back to ya room an' leave 'Arry alone." Hagrid jabbed his umbrella at them and they scurried upstairs, Dudley still clutching his bottom.

 

Harry turned back to his cake, a small smile plastered on his face. The cake was delicious, despite the edges being a bit crunchy, and Harry ate until he thought he would burst.

 

"'Appy birthday, 'Arry" Hagrid whispered as Harry curled underneath the coat, his wings tucked close to his back. Before Harry could answer, he was asleep.

 

~'~

 

Hagrid woke him up early the next morning, before the Dursleys got up.The heavy storm had passed, leaving blue skies and white clouds. After eating some more cake for breakfast, Hagrid took Harry to the small boat that brought him and the Dursleys to the hut.

 

Hagrid rowed, sending salty spray into Harry's face. They landed sometime later, and Harry scrambled out of the boat, feeling slightly seasick.

 

They traveled a short way to London. They went through a pub called The Leaky Cauldron, where Hagrid hid him beneath his arm much to Harry's confusion, then Hagrid took him to an alley way. He tapped the brick wall three times and the wall began to fall into itself. A giant hole larger than Hagrid stood where the brick wall used to be. A town full of people was on the other side.

 

Hagrid motioned to the town.

 

"Welcome to Diagon Alley, 'Arry."

 

Harry had the shock of his life when he stepped into Diagon Ally. Multicolored wings were everywhere, ranging from snow white to the blackest wings like night. There were even a few purples and blues and greens thrown in there, which confused Harry to no end.

 

He turned to Hagrid, who had followed behind him from the brick wall.

 

"Everyone has wings!" he exclaimed.

 

Hagrid chuckled, a deep rumbling coming from his chest. "O' course. They're witches and wizards! Every magical folk has wings."

 

Hagrid began to walk towards and ice cream parlor. He ordered a banana split for Harry then sat at the farthest corner in the shadows, away from the other customers. Harry slid onto the other bench across form Hagrid.

 

Awkwardly, Harry drummed his fingers onto the table. The waiter came and set the ice cream in front of Harry. Harry was still shocked at the golden wings that protruded from the man's back and stared at them, his mouth hanging open slightly. The waiter gave him a funny look and left. Harry took a bite of his ice cream. This was better than Hagrid's cake! Almost.

 

He ate in awkward silence. Hagrid was looking down at the table, picking at a loose thread on his coat. Harry finished, and he chased syrup around the bowl with his spoon.

 

"So...you said you would explain?" Harry started lamely.

 

Hagrid looked up. "Hmm? Oh, yeah. Ya need to finish ya letter, first."

 

Harry pulled out the crumpled letter out of his pocket and smoothed it out.

 

 

HOGWARTS SCHOOL

of WITCHCRAFT and WIZARDRY

 

Headmaster: Albus Dumbledore

(Order of Merlin, First Classm Grand Sorc, Chf. Warlock,

Supreme Mugwump, International Confed. of Wizards)

 

 

Dear Mr. Potter,

 

We are pleased to inform that you have been accepted at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. Please find enclosed a list of necessary books and equipment.

Term begins on September 1. We await your owl by no later than July 31.

 

 

Yours sincerely,

 

Minerva McGonagall

Deputy Headmistress.

 

There was a second page that read about the uniform and books and pets.

 

"Wait, I need to send my...owl?" Harry looked at Hagrid in confusion.

 

Hagrid jut waved the question away. "Already sent it. Dumbledore should have gotten it yesterday."

 

Still slightly confused, he went back to the letter. He re-read it. "I can have a pet?" he asked, a note of hope in his voice.

 

"We'll worry 'bout tha' later, 'Arry. First, we need to get ya supplies and wand." He pushed himself off of the bench, nearly making it flip. Harry held on as his teeth rattled.

 

Head spinning, Harry followed Hagrid.

 

"Where are we going first?" He asked, catching up. He had to jog to keep up with Hagrid's long stride.

 

"Before we get yer supplies, we gotta get some money."

 

"Where are we going to get money?"

 

"Gringotts."

 

What's Gringotts? Harry wondered. As they rounded a corner, he got his answer. A giant building, larger than any others in Diagon Alley, towered over them. A stone dragon that breathed fire was perched on top of the building.

 

It was even weirder inside. Small wrinkly creatures stood behind large counters. They looked rather terrifying with their bushy eyebrows and large hooked noses. Balances were filled with what looked like sparkling rubies and gold.

 

"What are those?" Harry whispered.

 

"Goblins. They're in charge of Gringotts and pr'tect the money."

 

Hagrid walked up to the front counter where the wrinkliest looking Goblin sat. His nametag read Griphook.

 

Griphook looked down his nose at Hagrid. "Yes?"

 

"We need access into the Potter vault, 687, and vault 713 for uh, you-know-what." Harry wanted to know what this 'you-know-what' item was, but he figured it would be rude to ask.

 

Hagrid held out a white envelope to Griphook who took it and scanned its contents with a scrutinizing gaze. He hopped down from his stool and came around. He barely came up to Hagrid's knees.

 

"Follow me." Griphook led them around to the back of the large room, the hustle and bustle noises slowly fading out as they walked. A rollercoaster looking ride with loops and sharp turns was behind the door, and Harry suddenly felt nervous. They were going to ride in that? It looked like it could barely fit him and Griphook, let alone him and Hagrid.

 

Griphook didn't look very pleased either, but hopped in anyway. Hagrid and Harry followed suit, squishing in beside the small Goblin. Harry's wings were painfully folded in. He let them unfold.

 

"Keep your wings inside the cart!" Griphook screeched. Harry quickly folded them back in.

 

"Stargrip above, help me face winged idiotic wizards." Griphook mumbled. Harry shot him a dark look.

 

Griphook pulled a lever and a sound of screeching tires filled his ears. In less than a second, they were speeding around the loops and curves. If Harry had felt sick on the boat, the cart was making him down rightnauseous. Hagrid looked green and Harry prayed to whoever above that he wouldn't upchuck on the ride.

 

They came to a sudden halt, sending Harry jerking forward. Hagrid grabbed his shirt collar to prevent him from flying out the car. His wings fluttered, helping him settle.

 

"Vault 713." Griphook called.

 

"Stay in the cart, Harry," Hagrid ordered. Harry felt a bit put out, but stayed where he was. Hagrid walked to a large plain black door. Griphook placed his hand on the door, and the floor began to rumble. The door slowly opened, splitting in half. It looked very dramatic. It didn't surprise Harry that the Goblins weren't past that.

 

Harry tried to maneuver around the cart to see what Hagrid was getting, but he couldn't see past Hagrid's bulk. Hagrid returned with a small package wrapped in brown paper tied with string. The bottom looked wet and it was dripping light pink water. Hagrid quickly stuffed it into one of his many pockets.

 

"Onto vault 678!" Griphook called. They were off again, and Harry wished he could just fly on his wings to his vault, but he figured Griphook would be really mad if he did that. He didn't want an angry Goblin on his hands. They looked scary enough as it was.

 

They stopped in front of a large vault, and Harry didn't nearly fall out this time. He stepped out with Hagrid and looked at the large door with awe. While vault 713 was just a plain black door, this door was nothing but plain.

 

Swirls and intricate designs covered the surface. Harry saw runes and phrases in Latin and in the middle there was a shield, which he assumed was the Potter crest. The shield was cut into fours. In the upper right and in the lower left there was a lion on two legs roaring. The other two where blank. Swords crossed in the middle and the points framed a knight helmet with large plumage.

 

Griphook placed his hand on the door and the floor rumbled again, but unlike last time where the door had just split in two, this door didn't. The swirls moved and disappeared, melting into the door. The designs pulsed and the Potter crest turned in a circle until Harry heard a click. The door slowly fell into the floor, and when the door was gone, Harry's jaw, already opened wide from the display, fell somewhere around his ankles at the image that greeted him.

 

Large piles of gold, copper and silver filled the vault floor. Harry saw large paintings and shelves full of golden goblets and other jewels on the wall. He even saw a sword with a green gem on the hilt buried somewhere in the back. This was all for him?

 

Hagrid handed him a bag. "Fill 'er up, 'Arry."

 

Harry wasted no time in grabbing handfuls of gold and the other currency and stuffing them into the large bag until the bag looked like it would burst. Hagrid helped. "The gold ones are Galleons," he explained. "Seventeen silver Sickles to a Galleon and twenty-nine Knuts to a Sickle. Easy enough to remember, eh?" He climbed back into the cart and Hagrid stuffed himself in beside him. When they exited Gringotts, Harry wanted nothing more than to go to the nearest shop and buy everything they had.

 

Hagrid pushed him past the sweet shops that advertised Droobles Everlasting Gum and Bertie Botts Every Flavour Beans, whatever that was. They went to the book store called Flourish and Blotts and bought the required books. While Hagrid was helping the store manager look for them, Harry explored. There were many books piled high, nearly to the ceiling. Some books had weird sayings and were larger than Harry and he found one that had to be examined with a magnifying glass. There was one book that had nothing but the words "Cat", "Snake" "Badger" and "Owl" written in it over and over. He bought it out of sheer curiosity. He even found an Adventures of Sherlock Holmes book by Sir Author Conan Doyle, which Harry thought was a bit strange. He bought that as well.

 

They stopped next to Madam Malkin's Robes for All Occasion. Hagrid patted Harry on the shoulder. "You go in an' show 'er yer list. She'll get everythin' ready for ya. I'll be righ' back, 'Arry." Hagrid left in the opposite direction. Harry thought that was a bit strange.

 

He entered the shop and a bell rang overhead. A plump woman with curly grey hair and small grey wings bustled towards Harry, her dress filled with pins and sewing needles. A tape measure was hung around her neck.

 

"Hello, hello! Just sit right here, dearie, and I'll get to you in a moment. First year, yes? I know just what to get." She pushed him towards a sitting stool next to a girl with bushy brown hair. Her tawny wings were stretched out, measuring tapes flowing madly around them. She turned to him and smiled shyly.

 

"Hello," Harry said, climbing on the stool. "My name's Harry."

 

"I'm Hermione. Hermione Granger," the girl said. She held out her hand and Harry shook it. "I know who you are. You're Harry Potter, aren't you? I can tell by your scar." Harry's hand automatically went to his scar. "You are in Hogwarts: A History. Didn't you know that? I'm so excited for Hogwarts. I've already read all the course books. Which subjects do you think would be interesting? I like Potions and Transfiguration. Which House do you think you will be in? I like Ravenclaw, but I guess Gryffindor will be good, too," She talked a mile a minute and Harry had a hard time keeping up with her. Her wings fluttered a bit while she talked and the measuring tapes followed angrily.

 

"Uh, what?" His head was spinning.

 

The girl, Hermione, gave him a funny look. "You don't know anything, do you?" Harry shook his head.

 

Madam Malkin came with a deep green robe and placed it around Harry. She began to snip the fabric and make marks when needed. She went back to her desk, notepad in hand.

 

"Oh," Hermione sounded understanding. "I know how you feel. I didn't know anything either until I got my letter. I was raised by Muggles, you see."

 

"What's a Muggle?" Harry asked.

 

"They're non-magical folk," she explained. "They usually don't know anything about magic and they can't see our wings." So that explained why the Dursleys didn't comment on his wings."The only non-magical people that know of magic and can see our wings are Squibs. They are people born into a magical family but they don't inherit magic."

 

"Oh. Yeah, I was raised by Muggles as well. My aunt and uncle. My aunt was my mum's sister," he said. "Um, why am I in a book? This Hogwarts A whatever." Harry asked.

 

"You really don't know anything." Hermione's eyes seemed sad as she looked at him. Harry was really getting tired of it. "Did your family tell you about what happened to your parents?"

 

"They said they died in a car crash."

 

Hermione's eyes went wide. "They said what? That is completely untrue! They died by You-Know-Who!"

 

"Who? I have no idea who that is."

 

Hermione fidgeted. "Please don't make me say his name."

 

"Who is he?" Harry pushed. "Why did he kill my parents?"

 

Hermione bit her lip. She seemed to have an internal battle before turning back to Harry.

 

"You-Know-Who's real name is V-" she gulped and looked around to make sure nobody was listening. "His name is V-Voldemort," she whispered almost inaudibly.

 

"Voldemort?"

 

"SHHHH!" Hermione shushed him. "Don't say his name out loud!"

 

"Why?" Harry asked.

 

"Names have power. And You-Know-Who was a very powerful man. There are many rumors that he didn't survive that night at your house, but there are many more, mainly spread by his followers, Death Eaters, I think they're called, that say that he is still alive and is hunting for you."

 

Harry felt a shiver go down his back. "Those are just rumors, right? They're not real."

 

Hermione shrugged. The measuring tapes flew back to Madam Malkin and she tottered over.

 

"You're done, dear. Make sure your parents pay up front!" She took the robes off of Hermione. Hermione jumped off the stool.

 

"I'll talk to you later, Harry. I'm sure we'll see each other at school or on the train." Hermione walked to her parents who were standing near the entrance, watching the measuring tapes fly around with wide eyes.

 

"Wait! You're still not done explaining yet!" Harry called after her. Hermione just looked at him and mouthed 'later'. Harry slumped in his chair.

 

A tap on the glass window drew his attention. Hagrid was standing there holding a cage with a beautiful snowy white owl. "'Appy birthday, 'Arry!"

 

Harry paid for his robes and hurried outside where Hagrid stood waiting. He cooed at the bird and stuck his finger inside the cage. The owl rubbed it's head on his finger. "Is it a boy or a girl?"

 

"Tha shopkeeper tol' me it was a girl. You can name 'er whatever ya like."

 

Harry thought for a moment. "Hedwig," he decided. It seemed the only appropriate name for such a beautiful owl.

 

Hagrid covered her cage. "Where to next, Hagrid?" Harry asked.

 

"The only thing left ta get is some potion supplies an' a wand," said Hagrid, checking Harry's list. They went to an apothecary and as soon as they stepped inside, Harry gagged and held his nose. It smelleddisgusting!

 

Random pickled things covered shelves and counters. Harry saw eyeballs looking at him from a jar and he swore they blinked. He wanted to get his stuff and get out of there as quick as he could.

 

Hagrid helped him pick out what he needed and Harry paid. His bag felt lighter but not much. There didn't seem to be much of a dent in the gold.

 

"Now just yer wand, 'Arry!" Harry grinned. This was the thing he was most excited for! He had a little skip in his step as he followed Hagrid into Ollivander's Wand Shop.

 

"Ah! Mr. Potter! What a pleasant surprise! Ten and a half inches, made from willow. Very swishy. That was your mother's wand, Mr. Potter. Your father's wand was eleven inches and mahogany. Very sturdy," said a man who Harry personally thought was crazy. Wild white hair stuck up in every which direction and his wings looked the same. Harry didn't even think the man could fly with such wings. His eyes were a piercing grey.

 

"Hagrid!" the man who Harry assumed was Ollivander said. "Sixteen inches and oak, correct? Very good for Transfiguration. I remember ever wand I ever make and sell," he explained to Harry.

 

Ollivander snapped his fingers. Like in Madam Malkin's, measuring tape flew around Harry, measuring his torso and wings and even between his nostrils.

 

"Which is your dominant hand?" Ollivander asked.

 

"Uh, my right," Harry replied as he watched the tape measure the size of his foot. Measuring tape wrapped around his right hand and then measured the length of his fingers.

 

Ollivander brought a box to Harry. "Try this one. Birch wood, twelve inches. Core of a dragon heartstring." Harry flicked it and a shelf full of wands tumbled to the ground. Ollivander snatched it from Harry. "Not that one."

 

He brought another. "Cherry wood, ten inches. Unicorn hair. Very swishy." Harry took it in his hand and instantly Ollivander took it back. "No, no," he mumbled.

 

"This one is similar to your grandfather's. It may work for you. Black willow, thirteen inches, mermaid hair. Very rigid." Harry took it and swished it in the air. The glass windows cracked and Ollivander plucked it away. "Not this one either. No worries, Harry, I'm sure we will find you a wand!" he said as he went deeper into the shelves of wands.

 

But Harry began to worry. He tried nearly every wand in the shop and he still hadn't found a wand that would take him. What if he couldn't find a wand and Ollivander kicked him out and said that he wasn't a real wizard? What would he do if he had to go back to the sneering taunts of the Dursleys?

 

"This would be very interesting. Yes, very interesting indeed," Ollivander murmured. He walked up to Harry with a wand incased in a velvet lined box.

 

"Every time a person comes and gets their wand, I take a feather from their wings. I use these feathers to make special wands. Very rarely does a Feather Wand choose a wizard. In fact, some of the wands you tried were Feather Wands from past customers. This is a rather new wand, only around twenty years old. I made it from the feather of a very special girl. Try this one. Holly, twelve inches, Witch feather."

 

Harry grasped the wand and instantly a warmth spread through him. A small gust wind blew through the shop, ruffling his feathers and hair. The cracked windows mended back together and the fallen wand boxes went back on the shelf. He felt as if the sun was shining down on him. He smiled. He knew this was his wand.

 

He swished the wand through the air and red and green sparks flew from his wand. "I like this one."

 

Ollivander was looking at Harry thoughtfully. "Interesting. Very Interesting."

 

Harry looked at Ollivander. "What's interesting, sir?"

 

Ollivander cleared his throat. "That was a Feather Wand, as you may well have known. The feather in this core belonged to someone who had the same wings as you. That person, Mr. Potter, was your mother. She donated this feather the first time she stepped through those doors. I knew it would be a special wand, just from the magic that pulsed through that single feather. You are very lucky, Mr. Potter. Not many get to have their parent's feather as their wand!"

 

Harry looked down at his wand in silent awe. This belonged to his mother? He felt tears fill his eyes and he blinked them away. "Thank you, Mr. Ollivander."

 

"There's no need to thank me, Mr. Potter. It's the wand that chooses the wizard, not the other way around."

 

Harry paid the crazy looking man, giving him a feather from his right wing, and left, still clutching his wand in a tight grip. There was no way he was going to let his wand out of his sight. Finally he had a connection to his parents besides the fake stories that his aunt and uncle told.

 

They stopped to eat at Speedy's Special Brews and Sandwiches at seven for dinner. They ate a lot since they missed lunch. Harry paid, and although Hagrid said he could have done it, Harry could see he was secretly relieved.

 

They went back to the Leaky Cauldron and Hagrid ordered a room for the night. A sickly looking man in a turban came up beside Harry.

 

"H-H-Harry P-Potter? I-I-is it really you?" The man stuttered. Harry hid behind Hagrid in fear.

 

"Ah, Quirinus! How'r ya?" Hagrid clapped the smaller man on the shoulder so hard the man's knees buckled. The other man winced. "'Arry, this is Pr'fessor Quirrel. He'll be teachin' Defence of the Dark Arts at Hogwarts."

 

"Hullo, Professor," Harry mumbled. Professor Quirrell took Harry's hand and shook it. As soon as the older man touched his hand, a sharp pain ran though his scar.

 

"Ouch!" Harry brought his hand up and rubbed his forehead. Quirrell looked him up and down, giving off a strange look.

 

"I-I-I'll s-see you a-at the F-feast, H-H-Hagrid. G-good day, Mr. P-P-Potter." Quirrell left through the brick wall that connected the Leaky Cauldron and Diagon Alley.

 

"Tha' was strange..." Hagrid mumbled.

 

Tom carried their stuff to their room, an upper one with a view of London. Dust flew as Harry plopped down on his bed.

 

Hagrid went to the desk and withdrew a quill and parchment. He began to write and Harry pulled out his wand. He looked it over, turning it around in his hands. The wood was a light golden color and it shone even brighter when the light hit it. He rubbed his hand over the smooth wood and silver sparks fluttered around the tip.

 

An eagle owl flew in the room and Hagrid gave it the letter he was writing along with an owl treat. It hooted, nipped his finger and flew out the window.

 

Hagrid sighed, rubbing his face.

 

"Is something wrong, Hagrid?" Harry asked.

 

"Hmm?" Hagrid's head shot up. "No. I just sent a letter to Dumbledore, the Headmaster, tellin' about our day."

 

"Oh."

 

Harry pulled out the first book in his trunk, the Sherlock one, and began reading. He was fascinated by how the detective could deduce everything about a person with just a look. Soon, he was engrossed with the book, losing himself in the pages. He lost track of time as he read.

 

The light slowly faded until the only source of light was from the street lamps outside. Harry put his book back in his trunk when he couldn't see enough to read any more.

 

"You should get some rest, 'Arry. It's gettin' late. Someone will be here tomorrow to get ya," Hagrid said.

 

Harry wanted to ask who that person was, but as soon as his head hit his pillow, his eyes began to close of his own accord. He wrapped his wings around himself, keeping warm.

 

The last thing Harry saw before he went to sleep was the eagle owl returning, a letter clutched in its beak.

To be continued...
End Notes:
Hey! Thanks for reading! This is my first fic on this site, so I hope you enjoy. Snape isnt in this chapter, but he will be in the next one, so don't worry! I know Hagrid didnt explain everything to Harry like in the books, but that will be explained later.

I have no beta, so if you see any mistakes, please let me know so I can fix it. Review!


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=3196