Wings of Sun by That_One_New_Pokemon
Summary: Around a young witch or wizard's eleventh birthday they acquire wings, a sign that they have developed their full magic. Many worship their new wings, but to Harry, it's just another sign that he is a freak. Severus Snape is assigned his guardian over the summer before Harry's first year. It is up to him to teach young Harry the ways of the wizarding world and to come to terms with his newfound fame. But there is darkness lurking around every corner, and if Harry is not careful, it will be the last thing he ever knows. Eventual Severitus.

Response to Mellow Moon's Wizards with Wings challenge
Categories: Parental Snape > Guardian Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Dumbledore, Hermione, McGonagall, Neville
Snape Flavour: Snape Comforts
Genres: Family, Fluff, Hurt/Comfort
Media Type: None
Tags: Slytherin!Harry, Snape-meets-Dursleys
Takes Place: 1st summer before Hogwarts, 1st Year
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys, Neglect, Profanity
Prompts: Wizards With Wings
Challenges: Wizards With Wings
Series: None
Chapters: 13 Completed: No Word count: 79730 Read: 54886 Published: 05 Mar 2015 Updated: 11 May 2016
Sleepover by That_One_New_Pokemon
Author's Notes:
See end chapter notes.

Severus sipped at his third coffee, still slightly rattled from the nightmare a few days ago. It had taken up the forefront of his mind, making him more scatterbrained than normal. His hands shook, and his memory seemed to falter every once and awhile. He had taken to drinking Dreamless Sleep before bed every night since then, at least until he completely got over the dream and it stopped haunting him during his everyday activities. He always hated nightmares because it always took him way longer than most to get over them, especially the ones with Tobias involved.

Harry, now distracted by the new boiling potion in the basement, didn't seem to notice anything wrong with Severus. Which was great, in Severus' opinion. He refused to let Harry see him in such a state over a nightmare.

Harry had written to his friends back and forth repeatedly for the last few days, telling them in the fewest details possible that something amazing was happening. Spin had hissed with joy at Harry's story, and even Hedwig seemed to be in a better mood since the potion began.

He had fire-called Dumbledore, swearing him to secrecy as he told the Headmaster his plan with Pater et Filius. Albus had been overjoyed of course, and had promised to act as a witness if there was a need for one.

With the first of September coming in just a few days time, Minerva had come over, making sure his lesson plans were up to snuff and that he was prepared for a new year. He knew that wasn't the real reason for her visit, but had let her see his notes anyway. Just as he had suspected, as soon as she peered at the parchment, her real reason for coming had reared it's head as Harry walked down the stairs and the two had instantly went flying in the backyard.

Over their dinner of Chinese take-out, Harry had excitedly told her about the potion and the whole adoption process with permission from Severus. Her chopsticks had clattered into the styrofoam tray, and for a moment she didn't say anything. Then she smiled wide and took them both into a huge hug, nearly crushing their wings and backs, and congratulated them over and over. She had left happier than he had ever seen her, which confused him because the news wasn't even about her, and soon after she had left he had retreated back to his potions lab.

He placed his cup in the sink, yawning wide. He padded over to the living room, towards the bookcase. He pulled the appropriate book down, and the whole thing slid open. He flicked a switch and a light bulb flickered on, lighting the small hallway.

The potion had been bubbling on low heat for well over thirty six hours now. Yesterday, he had added the ingredients, and now it was to boil for three weeks. Then the next step would come into play.

He turned the knob to his lab, surprised to find it was unlocked. Wary, he pushed it open, wand in hand. He stopped short, one step in.

The potion was still in the same place, still bubbling peacefully. Harry sat in front of it, chair turned backwards and feet dangling off the edge. His wings, finally beginning to grow larger since his molting, brushed the tile floor. He was staring intently at the potion, as if he could speed up the process by sheer will.

"Harry?" he said, and the boy jumped, not hearing him come in. "What are you doing here?"

The eleven year old turned around in is chair, looking rather tired. "I'm bored," was his simple reply.

"So you decided to stare at a potion?" The question rang around the room and the boy shrugged. "It's barely eleven. Surely there is something you can do besides just sit?"

"I've already done everything," he whined.

An eyebrow raised. "Have you thought about possibly writing to Neville?"

"Already have. Waiting on a reply."

"Hermione?"

"Again, waiting on a reply."

"What about reading a book?"

"I've already finished all of my books. And your books are boring."

Severus pretended not to take offense at that. "How about playing with Spin?"

"He's asleep."

Severus sighed. "Well, there's no use in sitting around like a bump on a log. Why don't you clean your room or something. The potion needs to be left alone so it can brew properly."

Harry yawned. "My room's clean."

"Well then, how about doing the laundry? I'm sure there's some underwear hidden in the corner of your room that is in a desperate need of washing."

"You did that yesterday."

Damn. He was right. Frustrated, he leaned against his desk. "Why don't you....I don't know. Didn't your friend mention something about wanting a sleepover?" he asked absentmindedly, searching for something the boy could be doing. "Send her a letter and see if they still want to have one."

Harry's eyes widened, and it seemed whatever tiredness that had been lining his eyes disappeared completely. "Really?"

Severus nodded. "Yes, really. It's only three days until school starts. Might as well have some fun before you have to leave."

Harry jumped up from the chair, nearly sending it toppling over. If it wasn't for Severus' quick hand, it would have knocked against the cauldron. "Oh, this is going to be so awesome!" he said, pumping his fists in the air.

"Yes, well, before any "awesomeness" can ensue, the living room is going to have to be cleaned and prepared for whatever antics you children will be up to." Potter's enthusiasm deflated, and he gave Severus a slightly disappointed look with a small "Aww."

"Don't ‘aww' me," he chastised lightly. "Hurry up and write out the letters for when Hedwig comes back, and I'll help you tidy up the living room when you get finished," he promised.

"Okay." Harry ducked as Severus went to ruffle his hair, and slinked out the door.

The potion was okay. It was starting to turn a deep green as it should, and in a few weeks no doubt it would begin to change into a more blue color. He gave it a stir, then followed Harry's footsteps back into the living room.

With a wave of his wand, the couches began to move away from the middle of the room and closer to the surrounding walls. The chairs went tightly into the corners, and all that remained on the carpet were some odd little items and socks that had been forgotten underneath the couches. He would leave those for Harry to claim.

Up the stairs he went, and a knock on the door had Harry peeking his face through the opening, a wide smile etched on and a handful of newly written letters clutched tightly.

"I see you're finished with the letters already," he noted, marvelling at the boy's speed. "There are some items of yours that were underneath the couches. Go pick them up and I'll get started on lunch."

"‘Kay." Harry bounded down the stairs with energy that only a child could seem to muster, leaving Severus standing at the open door.

He let out a shaky breath of air and closed his eyes. The sight of Harry smiling never failed to remind him of his horrid nightmare. He knew it would never happen of course, but the thought of Harry becoming what he had seen in his dream never failed to make him uneasy.

He closed the door behind him and slowly walked down the stairs. Harry was picking up the items, looking at each one closely before pocketing them.

"Lunch is going to be simple sandwiches," he said. "Is that alright?"

"That's fine," Harry said distractedly as he plucked an old golden feather from the pile of dust bunnies.

Severus munched on ham as he made Harry's sandwiches. Harry came up behind him and plucked an extra piece from his hand, shoving it in his mouth before Severus could intervene.

"Wash you hands before touching the food!" he said, batting away Harry's hand. "It's covered in dust!"

Harry skirted away from Severus, laughing slightly as he went back into the living room. He could smell the scent of pine needles wafting from the room and he wrinkled his nose.

A brown owl tapped on the kitchen window, startling Severus. Harry raced back into the kitchen eagerly.

"It's Neville's owl!" Quickly, he ushered the owl in. Severus fed him ham, and he snapped it away from his fingers. Severus jerked his fingers back, looking for any damage that might have been done. He glared at the bird, whose deep set eyes glared right back.

Harry took the parchment away from the owl's leg, nearly ripping the parchment in his excitement as he opened it.

"What does it say?" he asked.

"Nothing much. He was just telling me about one of his uncles. But now I can ask him if he can come over for the night!" Harry said giddily. He quickly took out his own letter from his back pocket and tied it to the owl's leg. "Take this to Neville for me, will you?"

The owl hooted, looking pleased with himself. He gave Severus a sidelong glance and hopped out the window. Feathers brushed against the window as he took flight. With disgust, Severus noted that the owl had left a little present as he left, and was now running down the window sill. A wave if his wand fixed the problem, but Severus couldn't help but note how close it had come to the sandwiches. Just in case, he threw them away.

"I was gonna eat that!" Harry whined.

"You can make another," he replied, looking in the fridge for more ingredients.

"But there's no more ham left! You ate it all!"

"Then use turkey." He tossed the package of meat to Harry, who juggled the meat while trying to catch it. "It's healthier anyway."

"Since when have you care about healthy foods?" he heard Harry mumble. Severus rolled his eyes at the cheese as he grabbed the container.

Lunch was ate in silence, but it wasn't uncomfortable. Harry munched happily at the lettuce, looking out the sliding glass door. Severus nibbled on a bit of the crust while reading the day's issue of the Daily Prophet. Some ministry official had shown his wings to a muggle and was now facing some very high fine that Severus could only dream of earning. He scoffed, placing the paper to the side.

"What time do you want your sleepover to start?" Severus asked.

"I was hoping maybe three," Harry replied, peeling a pickle from his sandwich and popping it into his mouth.

Severus made a noise in the back of his throat. "How about later?" he suggested. Harry's shoulders slumped a little, and before he could open his mouth and argue, Severus continued.

"I still need to meet her parents. I was thinking, once Hedwig delivers her letter, you can edit your letter a bit to see if her parents wouldn't mind joining us for dinner. Here, their house or at a restaurant, whichever they would prefer. Or, why don't you just ask for their phone number and I'll ask for you," he added on when he saw the hesitation on Harry's face.

"Okay, I guess that'll work," Harry said. He picked up his finished plate and brought it to the sink. "Do you want to fly?" he asked Severus.

"Are you finished with the living room?" He peered at Harry over the rim of his mug.

Harry eagerly nodded his head. Severus glanced in the direction of the living room. With his spell that made the chairs and couches move, the living room looked larger than ever. The rug was spotless, and the table shined from a fresh polishing. He frowned slightly. He didn't mean for Harry to go that far with the cleaning.

"I guess," he said. Harry put up Severus' plate for him, too eager to wait on the older man.

The wind whipped through Severus' hair as he flew beside Harry. He flew high, higher, until he felt he could touch the clouds with his fingertips. Harry was directly behind him, enjoying the feeling of freedom that always came when they were in the air. His eyes were closed in pure bliss, a smile stretched widely across his young face.

Something white streaked past directly in front of Severus, prompting him to skid to a stop mid-air. He heard a hoot and turned to see Hedwig flapping in front of Harry, letter clutched tightly in her beak. He took it, scanned it quickly like he had with Neville's, and sped down to the patio to get his response, leaving Severus in the dust. Severus rolled his eyes and followed more slowly.

By the time Hedwig came back with her second letter, Harry had nearly climbed the walls, too impatient on waiting. Severus had berated him many times, but his words were lost on the child.

"Her parents said okay!" he shouted excitedly beside him on the couch, nearly blowing out Severus' eardrums.

"Here's her number," Harry said, reading from the letter. "It's-"

"I can take it from here, Harry," Severus said, holding out his hand for the letter.

"I can't wait!" Harry said, looking like a small child as he watched Severus with wide eyes as he dialed the number.

"Be patient," Severus instructed.

"Yes, is this Mrs. Granger?" he asked when a female voice answered the line. "Oh, Hermione? It's nice to finally hear you," he glanced in Harry's direction, making the child's face heat up. "Can you put your mother or father on the line, please? Thank you."


.'.

As Severus spoke with the Grangers, Harry bounced slightly on the springy couch cushions. Excitement bubbled inside his chest. It tunneled down his arms, tingled on his fingertips and toes, and filled him to the brim until he thought he was going to burst. His wings jittered quickly and his eyes shone. He knew he was acting like a child, but it was just too much! He had never had anything like this before. He had always wondered what it would be like to have his friends over for the night like how Dudley did sometimes. He often fantasized about it in his cupboard. Him, with his new friends that didn't run away from Dudley, playing in the front yard of Number Four Privet Drive. Now his dream was coming true!

"Okay, so you want us to meet you at where at four o'clock? Okay, thank you so much. Yes, I'll see you soon." He hung up, and Harry eagerly waited for him to talk.

"We're going to meet the Grangers at an Italian restaurant near their home. It's not far from here. We have about an hour until we're supposed to meet them, so go ahead and take a shower, brush your hair or do whatever it is that you need to do in order to get ready," Severus sad.

He had barely finished his sentence when Harry scrambled up the stairs, leaving feathers in his wake. Spin jerked his head up when Harry came roughly through the door. He hissed something unpleasant, giving the snake equivalent of a glare until Harry apologized and stroked his scales in a way that had Spin bumping his hand for more.

He grabbed a nice red dress shirt, the nicest pair of dark jeans he owned, a pair of underwear straight from the dryer, and one of his brand new pairs of shoes that he had yet to try on. The shower was warm and steamy when he stepped in, and his wings relaxed as he carefully ran his hand through the the soaked feathers. He shook them dry when he stepped out, and they fluffed up high, much like his hair. The dress shirt felt cool on his skin, and he marvelled in the feeling of the fabric as it ghosted over his chest.

He came down the stairs thirty minutes later to see Severus dressed in his own dress shirt. It was a dark purple, and it paired nicely with the dark gray pants. A watch was on his left wrist, covering the bandage that hid his Dark Mark.   

"Are you ready to go?" he asked, eyeing Harry's attire. Severus stepped forward and straightened his shirt collar, making it fit tight to Harry's throat. He moved Harry's glasses to where they sat perfectly straight on his nose, and Harry blinked as the world span for a second.

Harry quickly raced to the garage as sat in the passenger's side of Severus' car. He absolutely loved the car. He hadn't been in it since they had went shopping. It seemed like forever ago that it had happened.

Severus sat in the driver's side, and he flicked a switch that had the hood of the car closing overhead.

"Why are you closing it?" Harry said, a whine hidden in his voice.

"We are going to a nice place, and I don't want us looking like street rats when we get there," he replied and eased his way out of the parking space.

Although Harry's hair wasn't whipping about in the wind like it had before, he still enjoyed the ride. He watched as houses and trees and cars zoomed by in a blur of colors. He spotted his grandparent's house and waved at his grandmother in the front yard watering plants as they passed.

The restaurant was rather large. Harry eyed the large sign, watching as the bright neon colors blinked in and out, advertising their wonderful food. He spotted Hermione getting out of a car near them and quickly unbuckled his seatbelt and ran towards her.

"Hello, Hermione," Harry said, surprising her. She was dressed in a red dress, the color matching Harry's shirt perfectly. She looked a bit different to Harry, not a lot like how she had in Diagon Alley. Once again, it seemed like a lifetime ago that it had happened.

"Harry!" She smiled and enveloped him in a hug. Her bushy hair smelled of strawberries, and the smell wafted up his nose as Harry huggd her back.

A man and a woman came behind Hermione, and Harry let go in order to shake their hand. "Hello, Mrs. Granger. Hello, Mr. Granger," Harry said politely.

"Well, hello there young man," Mr. Granger said, surprising Harry with his deep booming voice. "It's finally nice to meet you. Hermione's told a lot about you."

Hermione's face turned a shade of red. "Dad!"

Hermione's father turned to Severus. "And you must be Mr. Snape. We talked on the phone." He clasped Severus' hand tightly in his own.

"Severus, please. And it's nice to meet you, Mr. Granger," Severus said almost awkwardly, giving a sound shake.

"Jarrold, please. Call me Jarrold. There's no need to be so formal!" Mr. Granger replied, clapping Severus on the shoulder. Harry could see him try and hide a wince.

"I'm Delilah," Mrs. Granger said, taking Severus' hand much more softly. She gave an apologetic smile for her husband.

"Is that your car?" Mr. Granger asked, pointing to the black Mercedes. When Severus nodded, the sandy-haired man's eyes lit up.  

"It's American, yes?" He peered inside the car, looking like a kid in a candy store as he examined its contents. It was obvious he wanted to talk about the vehicle more, but Mrs. Granger cleared her throat.

"Come on, dear. We need to go in before all of the booths are taken," she said, steering her husband away from the car by the arm.

The waitress greeted them, a large smile plastered on her face, no doubt forcefully. The restaurant was packed, very few tables were left and only one booth that Harry could see was not occupied.

"Would you like a booth or a table?" the lady asked.

"Do you want to just try a table?" Mrs. Granger asked. "There's plenty more than booths."

"That sounds like a good idea," Severus answered.

The waitress nodded and lead them to a table that could easily seat seven people. She left, giving them their menus, with the promise of her return shortly to take their order. As soon as she left, Mr. Granger began to ask Severus questions about his car. Mrs. Granger looked exasperated, holding her chin in her hand with a half-lidded look, like it happened all the time.

"You're dad really likes cars, huh?" Harry asked, drowning out the adult's conversation.

Hermione nodded, scanning her menu. "Yeah. He really wants to collect them and fix them up, but mum won't let him. She says a dentist has no need for a car collection."

When the waitress came back, Harry ordered simple spaghetti and a coke. Hermione ordered fettucine alfredo after carefully going over the prices.

When the food came, Harry dug in. He hated to say it, but the spaghetti tasted so much better than his or even McGonagall's. It was like biting into heaven.

Harry and Hermione chatted while the adults talked about possible times to come over.

"Would it be alright if she just comes back to our house with us after dinner?" Harry asked. Severus shot him a look from behind his napkin.

"I already have my things packed and in the car," Hermione butted in helpfully. Her parent's eyebrows raised.

"When did you pack?" her mother asked.

"When you were on the phone with Mr. Snape," she replied. Her mother rolled her eyes.

"Of course," Harry heard her mutter.

"Would that be okay with you, Severus?" Mr. Granger asked.

"I don't see why not," Severus replied. "It would be faster."

"May I ask, who else is going to be there?" Mrs. Granger questioned.

"Well, aside from me and Harry, just one more boy is going to come. They will be sleeping in the living room where I can keep a close eye on them," Severus said.

The Grangers seemed to talk with their eyes as they stared at each other. "I suppose it will be alright. But she will have to be home by one tomorrow."

Hermione and Harry smiled widely. "Thank you so much!" Harry said.

Their waitress came back, taking their cups and refilling them. "Tonight's dessert special is chocolate dipped cannoli. If you are feeling something different, we also have available Zeppole, Biscotti, and our fan favorite: Anisette Cookies. Do you wish to order now or do you want to think for a while?"

"I would like the cannoli," Hermione said quickly, glancing at her parents. "If that's okay."

"Severus, do you care for dessert?" Mrs. Granger asked.

Severus looked slightly surprised at being asked. "S-sure," he replied. Harry got the feeling the man wasn't very good in social situations.

"I'd like the cannoli too, please," Mr. Granger said.

"Make it five cannolis. One for each of us," Mrs. Granger said.

The waitress scribbled it all down. "All right, I'll be out with your order in just a moment."

It barely seemed like five minutes had passed before the sweet was right in front of Harry. Harry gobbled his down in a flash, Hermione not far behind. Severus and the Grangers ate theirs more slowly.

When the bill came, both Severus and Mr. Granger reached for it. It was perhaps the funniest thing Harry had ever seen. They were both staring at each other, hands still holding tightly to the check. It looked like two tigers fighting over prey. Nobody moved. Mr. Granger narrowed his eyes and tried to bring the check closer to him, but Severus wouldn't let him. He held on even tighter. Severus tried to bring the check closer to him. Mr. Granger did the same thing.

"I have it, Severus," Mr. Granger said.

"No. It's fine. I was the one who wanted to meet you. I should pay for it."

"Yes, but I was the one who suggested Aldini's. Let me."

Mr. Granger once again tried to bring the bill to him.

"Jarrold, I've got it," Severus said.

"Severus-"

"Oh for Christ's sake, give it here," Mrs. Granger said and snatched the bill away. She fished into her purse and put the required amount of money on the check. She gave it to their waiter, who's eyes were shining from holding back laughter. Their waiter cleared her throat quickly and rushed off. Harry could hear faint peals of laughter trail behind her.

"They just met and they already act like a married couple," Hermione whispered in Harry's ear. Harry snorted into his hand. Severus gave him a sideways glare, the faintest of blushes apparent on his cheeks.

When they left Aldini's, Hermione made a dash to her parent's car. She rummaged in the backseat and came back out with an overnight bag.

"Thank you for letting her stay," Severus said to Mrs. Granger.

Harry went on ahead and hopped into the front seat. Hermione pushed her luggage into the back and sat beside it.

"The steering wheel's on the other side!" she exclaimed, her bushy head poking between the two front seats.

"Yeah. It was imported from America," Harry said.

Severus slid into the driver's side. He rolled down the backseat window and Hermione's parents peered in.

"Have fun, sweetie," Mrs. Granger said. She leaned in through the window and gave a one-armed hug.

"Gosh, I already miss you, kiddo," Mr. Granger said. He looked like he was holding back tears.

"Dad! It's only going to be for one night!" Hermione said, leaning out the window to give him a hug as well.

They stood in the parking lot, waving, as Severus pulled out. Hermione watched out the window until her parents were nothing but pinpricks.

"Your dad is pretty protective, huh?" Harry commented.

Hermione turned back around. "Yeah. I've never gone to a sleepover before. I've never left the house before, actually. I only leave if it's to shop or go to school."

Harry stared at her with interest. "Really? Me either."

Harry pointed out his grandparent's house when they passed. His grandmother had gone back inside, no longer tending to her plants. Hermione listened with interest as Harry told her about his first meeting with them. The talk reminded him about Hades, who was no doubt now being spoiled rotten by the older couple, and Harry told him about the short time he had with the black cat.

"He sounds so cute! I've always wanted a cat," Hermione said, looking wishful.

They pulled into the driveway. Severus shooed them off to the living room while he put the car in the garage.

When Hermione set her bags down on one of the chairs in the corner, the fire in the floo flared green.

"What on earth?" Hermione jumped, grabbing at her heart.

"Relax. It's just a floo call. You've read about those, right?"

Harry bent down in front of the hearth. Augusta Longbottom's face appeared, floating in the fire.

"Oh, hello, Mr. Potter," Augusta said, surprised. "Where's Severus?"

"He'll be inside in a moment. He's putting the car in the garage." Just as Harry said that, a loud crash sounded. Hermione jumped again, but Harry knew it was just the sound of the garage door closing.

Augusta didn't seemed fazed in the slightest. "Well, I was just calling to say that Neville will be over in about an hour. We're about to start dinner."

"Okay, ma'am. Thank you for calling and letting me know."

Augusta nodded, which looked weird with her head floating. Harry could hear noise coming from behind her through the fire, almost sounding like yelling or the crashing of plates and she looked slightly alarmed for a moment before jerking her head out of the flames, ending the call.

Harry sat back on his heels. He nearly lost his balance and fell on his wings. If it wasn't for Hermione standing behind him, he would have no doubt pulled out few feathers.

"You need to be a bit more careful, Harry. You don't want to pull out too many wings. You need to fly, you know," Hermione said.

That sparked a thought in Harry's head. "Hermione, do you know how to fly?"

"Huh?

Harry straightened, brushing dust and soot off of his clothes. "Do you know how to fly? We have a pretty big backyard that we can fly in. It's warded so the neighbors can't see us."

"Um, no I don't. Nobody at home can teach me," Hermione replied.

"Do you wanna try?" Harry asked.

Hermione looked down at her attire. "Well, yeah, but shouldn't we change? I don't think either one of our guardians would like it if we got our nice clothes dirty."

"Oh. Yeah I guess so."

Harry showed Hermione the bathroom and he went to his bedroom. When he came out, Hermione was waiting for him next to the bathroom, wearing sweatpants and a pink shirt. Severus was back in the house when they tumbled down the stairs, watching a show on the television.

"Where are you two going?" he asked, spotting them heading towards the backyard.

"I'm going to teach Hermione how to fly," Harry replied.

"At this hour? It's almost dark outside."

"We'll be fine. It's just in the backyard."

Severus thought for a moment. "Fine. But be back before your other friend gets here."

"Yes, sir."

The light was just starting to fade behind the trees as Harry and Hermione stepped their way onto the patio. Harry squinted at the trees, spotting a low hanging branch that would be perfect for Hermione to practise flying to.

"Try and flap your wings," Harry instructed.

Hermione's tawny wings, much smaller than Harry's, expanded to their full length. There was a feeble attempt flapping, and Harry instructed her to try again.

It seemed like forever before Hermione managed to inch her way off the ground. He had a slight hint of annoyance burning behind his words as he taught her the ways of flying, and he wondered if that was how Severus and McGonagall had felt trying to teach him.

The back door slid open, and Neville's head poked out. "Hey, Harry," he said.

"Hey, Neville," Harry said, carefully placing his feet back on the ground. Hermione landed jerkily beside him.

"Who're you?" he asked Hermione.

"I'm Hermione Granger. It's nice to meet you," Hermione introduced.

"I'm Neville Longbottom. What're you doing?"

A faint blush covered her cheeks. "Harry's teaching me how to fly," she said.

Neville perked, and he sat his overnight bag down. "I can help," he offered.

"Between the two of us, you'll be flying high in no time," Harry said.

By the time nightfall had completely came, Hermione was well on her way to flying right beside Harry and Neville. She was still miles behind them talent wise, but at least she was catching up.

They went back into the living room, exhausted, two hours later when the moon began to shine. Hermione groaned as she sat down in one of the chairs next to the wall.

"Are my wings supposed to hurt like this?" she asked, rubbing one of her feathers.

"You've exercised them too much. They should be normal tomorrow after you've relaxed them and rested," Severus said, placing mugs of tea in front of each of them.

Harry inhaled the scent of earl grey and sipped lightly at his hot cup. "Do we still have any ice cream?" Harry asked.

"You mean the int that you begged me for?" Severus said. Harry's ears turned red.

"Yeah," Harry mumbled.

"You've already had dessert. Why do you need more sweets?" The last part seemed to have been mumbled to himself, but Harry heard.

"Yeah, but Neville hasn't. Have you Neville?"

"What? I mean, I had a little bit of pie at my Gran's but-"

"-See? He didn't have any."

Severus' eyes narrowed. Harry put on his best puppy dog eyes, widening the green orbs until he knew Severus would cave.

Severus let out a little sigh. "Fine. But just one small bowl only. I don't need you three bouncing off the walls." He gave Harry a small glare, and he instantly thought back to when he had the coffee.

"Just one bowl. I promise."

It was perhaps a good thing that Harry hadn't eaten but a few spoonfuls of ice cream since he got it. The three bowls filled and there was nothing but a small bit left for Severus.

"Do you want some f mine?" he asked the black haired man.

Severus pushed his offering away. "It's fine, Harry. It's yours. "

"But if it's mine, then I get to say who has some, so here, take some." He held out a spoon full of the melting ice cream.

Severus rolled his eyes, but allowed Harry to feed him the ice cream. "There, happy now?" Severus asked, swallowing the mouthful.

Harry nodded. "Very."

Harry gave his two friends a small tour of the house. Neville had already seen it, so he hung back slightly while Harry showed Hermione. He showed them the hallway, and Neville busied himself by pretending to be interested in the pictures that hung there. Harry purposefully left out the secret potions lab behind the bookcase in the living room, but that didn't stop Hermione from running near it.

"Wow, he has so many books!" Hermione said, awestruck.

"I have some more in my room. Do you want to see?" Harry offered.

Just like she had in the living room, as soon as she stepped foot inside Harry's bedroom, she beelined for the bookshelf. His book collection wasn't nearly as grand as Severus', but that apparently didn't matter to Hermione as she examined each book.

"You have the Velveteen Rabbit! Oh, and the Sherlock Holmes collection! I love Sherlock!"

"You can borrow it if you want," Harry said. "I've already finished it."

"No thanks," Hermione said, putting the books back in their spots. "I have a copy of my own."

"Hey, Harry, do you still have your prophecy book?" Neville asked.

"Yeah." He grabbed it from his bedside table. "Why?"

"See if your prophecy has changed."

Hermione and Neville crowded around Harry as he opened the book. "What does it do?" Hermione asked, and Neville explained it to her.

Instead of just the word badger being written multiple times, owl and badger were written next to each other.

"Still with the badger," Neville said.

"Yeah, it's only when you show up, too," Harry said.

"Do you think I could be badger?" Neville asked curiously.

"Maybe. Would that make you owl, Hermione?" Harry asked cheekily.

"Well, I am very smart. Maybe I am."

"Then I guess that would make Severus snake," Harry mused out loud.

"Huh?" both Neville and Hermione said.

"I don't see snake written in here," Neville said, peering at the book again.

"It was when I first got it. There was snake, owl, badger, and cat written many times." I suppose Grammy Min would be cat, then, Harry thought.

"Then does that mean we were destined to meet?" Hermione asked.

"I guess so," Neville replied.

"That's so neat," Hermione breathed.

‘Hey, can you keep it down?' Spin hissed sleepily.

Harry, Hermione, and Neville's heads popped up from the book at the sound of the hiss.

"You have a snake, too?" Hermione said, bewildered, walking towards Spin.

"Uh, yeah. He's rather friendly," Harry said uneasily. Why would a girl like reptiles in the first place? From what he had seen with Dudley, most girls went screaming at the first sign of scales.

"You like snakes?" Neville asked, voicing what Harry was thinking.

Hermione picked up Spin, letting the snake wrap around her wrist. Spin seemed to be happy getting attention from other people besides Harry. Not even Severus would spend much time with the snake. He would just eye him warily every time Harry brought him outside of his room.

"He's cute," Hermione said, rubbing on Spin's head. Neville eyed Spin uncertainly. "What's his name?"

"Spin," Harry replied, ignoring the way Spin gave Harry a pleased hiss. He felt a pang of slight jealousy as he watched his friend play with his pet.

"Do you want to go back to the living room? I think Severus may have put down some mattresses for us to sleep on," Harry suggested, giving Spin a sideways look. Spin looked very smug as Hermione put him down back on his spot underneath the lamp.

Severus did indeed put down sleeping mattresses for him. Well, in a way. Severus was just finishing Transfiguring a couch pillow into the third mattress as Harry came down the steps. With a wave of his wand, the finishing touches were added. Harry plopped down onto the first one.

"Wait a moment! I'm not done putting the sheets on them," Severus said, shaking out a blanket.

"I'm comfy," Harry said, refusing to move.

"Okay then..."

A blanket landed on Harry, and Harry quickly untangled himself from the mass of blankets and pillows that found their way on top of his head. "Hey!"

Severus shrugged, his wings moving up with the motion. "I told you."

Harry saw Neville's eyes glint as he eyed the pillows. Harry ducked just in time to see a pillow fly by, Neville's arms outstretched, still in position to throw. "Pillow fight!" Harry yelled, grabbing one of his own.

"NO!" Severus ducked and weaved as an onslaught of pillows were thrown in his direction. "I want no part of this!"

Harry, Hermione and Neville squealed with laughter, continuing their attack. Finally, with a very evil look in his eyes that should have made Harry run for the hills, Severus waved his wand and an avalanche of pillows shot out of the tip, covering all three children.

Harry burst through the mountain of feathers and pillows, his glasses crooked on his nose. "I won't let you get away!" he said to a retreating Severus.

Severus turned from the kitchen door, taking a stance with his wand. The look on his face clearly read Bring it.

Harry reached behind him for another pillow, aiming his arm. His green eyes narrowed in concentration and a wide smile stretched his cheeks. He wouldn't lose. Behind him, he could hear Hermione and Neville do the same. There was absolutely no way.

The game was his.

With a battle cry, he let loose.

To be continued...
End Notes:
I currently don't have Wi-Fi due to the flood in Texas, so I'm using my school's Wi-Fi to write on Google Docs and upload. Luckily, because of the flood, I have had a lot of time to write, so I have other chapters written, but they can't be posted until I can get Internet again.

Please review! =)


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=3196