Wings of Sun by That_One_New_Pokemon
Summary: Around a young witch or wizard's eleventh birthday they acquire wings, a sign that they have developed their full magic. Many worship their new wings, but to Harry, it's just another sign that he is a freak. Severus Snape is assigned his guardian over the summer before Harry's first year. It is up to him to teach young Harry the ways of the wizarding world and to come to terms with his newfound fame. But there is darkness lurking around every corner, and if Harry is not careful, it will be the last thing he ever knows. Eventual Severitus.

Response to Mellow Moon's Wizards with Wings challenge
Categories: Parental Snape > Guardian Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Dumbledore, Hermione, McGonagall, Neville
Snape Flavour: Snape Comforts
Genres: Family, Fluff, Hurt/Comfort
Media Type: None
Tags: Slytherin!Harry, Snape-meets-Dursleys
Takes Place: 1st summer before Hogwarts, 1st Year
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys, Neglect, Profanity
Prompts: Wizards With Wings
Challenges: Wizards With Wings
Series: None
Chapters: 13 Completed: No Word count: 79730 Read: 54881 Published: 05 Mar 2015 Updated: 11 May 2016
Better Be...! by That_One_New_Pokemon

Harry shot out of bed at exactly six in the morning, completely wide awake and excited. He quickly got ready, taming his hair to the best of his ability and picked out his best looking clothes. He tidied up his room, even making up the bed for once, something he hadn't done since he was at the Dursleys. Spin glanced in his direction and went back to sleep once he realized it wasn't important enough to wake up.

By the time he was finished, it was barely seven thirty. Severus hadn't even woken up yet, and Harry impatiently waited on the couch, leg bouncing up and down rapidly.

At five minutes to eight, he could hear the sound of feet padding around in the older man's room. He heard the toilet flush and the running water from the sink as the man brushed his teeth. By the time Severus came down the stairs, Harry was nearly vibrating from a mix of impatience and excitement.

"You're up early. What time did you wake up?" Severus asked, running a hand through his fluffed-up hair.

"About two hours ago," Harry replied, his voice coming out quickly and jittery.

A black eyebrow raised. "You didn't touch my coffee maker, did you? You know you're not allowed to have coffee," he said, making his way to the kitchen.

"No, sir. I'm just excited." They had both learned the hard way that Harry was, under no circumstances, allowed to have any form of coffee ever. It took around half the day for him to calm down from his caffeine induced state after just one cup when Severus had allowed him to have the rest of his one morning. The end result was something neither of them wanted to experience again.

"Ah. Today's the day, isn't it?" He plopped two pieces of bread in the toaster.

"Mmhmm," Harry said, taking his normal seat at the table.

"Are you nervous?" Severus asked.

"Um, kinda. I'm mainly just excited." He took a bite of his buttery bread with a satisfying crunch as Severus handed him a plate of eggs, bacon, and toast.

"Do have any idea where you'll go?"

"I think so. But I'm not sure," he said hesitantly. Another bite. A swig of orange juice. Swallow. Repeat.

Severus gave a small smile at his answer, not noticing the tone. "Do you remember what I told you?"

Harry nodded. "You can come with me only to the entrance, then Grammy Min will take me the rest of the way. I remember."

"Good. I'm sorry I can't come with you the rest of the way, but I can't be seen. Too many people, and if they see me with you..."

"I know. I'm just glad you'll be there for my sorting."

Severus chuckled lightly, taking a swig of his coffee. "Well I have to be. Don't worry, I'll have my eyes on you the whole time."

Harry gave a sheepish smile in return.

At thirty minutes until eleven, after Harry had everything, including his stuffed dino and prophecy book, packed and ready, McGonagall came through the Floo.

"Is everyone ready?" she asked, eyeing Harry's luggage.

"Ready!" Harry replied, hefting up Hedwig's cage. He had decided to take only one pet to Hogwarts, leaving Spin in his room until the Headmaster deemed it okay for him to come. Severus would take care of him on the days that he would Floo back to check on the potion. The green snake didn't seem very happy about it, but agreed once Harry promised the tons of mice that he would send with his caretaker.

"Excellent! Oh, I can't wait to see where you'll end up, Harry," she said excitedly, shrinking his belongings and putting them in the pockets of her robes.

"Me either," he said, a weird feeling bubbling in his chest. He knew that she wanted him to be in her house, and he knew Severus wanted him to be in his. It was going to be odd, having to decide between the two. He didn't want to disappoint either of them. He knew as well that people would want him to be in Gryffindor because of his parents. He didn't voice this, too afraid of what the other two would say in response.

They Apparated, Harry feeling sick when they landed. Hedwig wobbled in her cage, giving out a weak hoot.

"This isn't King's Cross station," Harry said, looking at his surroundings. They were in an alleyway, the stench of garbage and God-knows-what-else filling his nostrils. He quickly clamped a hand over his nose.

"We're a few blocks away," McGonagall replied, placing a hand on the small of his back and steering him away from the dark place. "We couldn't Apparate directly in the station. Too many Muggles."

Harry only nodded in reply, wiping away the tears that had sprung up due to the horrible stench. Severus trailed behind them as they walked, staring at their surroundings instead of the two in front of him.

The station came into view a few moments later, the entrance looking like billions of ants swarming in and out as people made their way through. Harry spotted a family of redheads in what appeared to be wizard robes right in the middle, their hair and multicolored wings making it easy to spot them over the crowd. McGonagall went ahead to find a trolley for him to use.

As they neared forward, the family of redheads only a few steps in front, the feeling that was nagging in the back of his stomach increased tenfold, making him feel slightly sick.

He stopped, one foot in the entrance. Severus nearly walked into him, stopping only a few inches short of knocking them both over.

"Harry?" Severus questioned, a touch of concern filling his voice. McGonagall came back, Harry's luggage larger once again and filling the buggey.

"What's wrong?"

Harry swallowed, afraid of voicing his concern. "I um..."

"If it's about going away, don't worry. Both of us will be there with you when you come to Hogwarts," McGonagall put in helpfully.

Harry shook his head. "It's not that," he said.

"Then what is it?" Severus asked.

Harry clenched his hands tight, stopping them from shaking. "What if...what if I don't get into Slytherin? O-or what if I don't get into Gryffindor? Will you be mad, or...?"

Severus knelt down in front of him, stopping his nervous chatter. He placed his hands on his shoulders, his dark eyes boring deep into Harry's green. "Harry," he said sternly "Don't think about that right now. It doesn't matter to me whether you get into Slytherin or not, and I know for a fact it won't matter to Minerva, either."

Harry glanced to McGonagall's direction and saw that she was nodding along.

"I will--no, the both of us--will be proud, no matter what house you may end up in. You can get sorted into Hufflepuff for all I care. It doesn't matter, so stop worrying. As long as you are happy. Okay?"

Harry nodded, staring down at his shoes. "Okay."

Severus patted him on the shoulder, standing back up. "Good. As long as you know that."

Harry gave a small smile in response. He stayed close to both of the adults as they walked farther in, ignoring the hustle and bustle of the many Muggles that were in their way. He glanced at his ticket, and then at the signs posted above.

The redheaded family was stopped inside, right between platforms nine and ten. Harry gawked as he watched one of the boys run head first into a brick pillar. He closed his eyes right before impact, but he didn't hear the crunching sounds like he thought he would. Instead, when he opened his eyes the boy was gone, and other kid was running with their trolley right behind.

"What-?" he gasped, looking bewildered at Severus. Severus gave a small smirk.

"Don't worry. It's completely harmless. It leads straight through to platform nine and three quarters. That's where you'll load the train and head to Hogwarts."

"But I'll have to run into a wall!" Harry squawked.

"Watch the other family. Don't close your eyes this time," Severus instructed.

Harry watched as a boy looking to be around his age reluctantly take ahold of his trolley and began to run towards the wall. His green wings tightened close to his back before he hit, but just as Severus had said, he passed straight through.

Harry still felt a bit uneasy as Severus lead him forward. He stopped next to two redheaded boys that looked identical. He looked at the looming wall, gulping.

"Hello, Professor Snape! Hello Professor McGonagall!" the two boys said in unison. Severus barely glanced in their direction, but jerked his chin down in a nod as response. McGonagall gave a small smile at the twins.

"Hello, George. Hello, Fred," she said.

"George, it's your turn to go now," said the older lady beside them, which Harry assumed to be their mother.

"I'm not George, I'm Fred!" the twin said, giving Harry a sly wink. "Honestly, you call yourself our mother?"

The mother groaned, obviously used to the twins antics. "Fred, then. It's your time to go."

"I'm just kidding. I am George," George said, then took off towards the wall. Just like the one before, he passed straight through.

"You're first time, eh?" said the other twin, which Harry realised was the one called Fred. Harry silently nodded.

"Don't worry. It's not as bad as it looks. It feels a bit cold, but then it's fine," Fred reassured.

"Really?" Harry said, eyeing the brick.

"Ye-" Fred stopped mid-word, staring at his forehead. Harry quickly brushed his bangs over his scar, covering it. Fred's eyes widened.

"Fred, come on! The gate's going to close! We need to see off Percy and Ron!" the mother said. Fred reluctantly tore his gaze away from Harry's scar and followed his mother.

"It's almost time to go, Harry," McGonagall said. "The gate closes at eleven. We better hurry."

Harry looked up at Severus. The man, sensing Harry's reluctance, placed an arm around Harry's shoulders in his own version of a hug. "Don't worry. I'll see you soon."

Harry quickly hugged Severus around the middle in a tight hug, and before the man could comprehend what was happening, he had let go and followed McGonagall towards the wall. Before he passed through, he looked back, seeing Severus, one arm raised in a wave.

The inky blackness engulfed him, and he began to panic for a moment. It was just as Fred said. He felt cold. But then it all went away and he squeezed his eyes closed for a moment as the bright light blinded him. He heard the sound of a train whistle as it blew.

Wings of all colors and sizes greeted him once he opened his eyes. He thought the wings at Diagon Alley had been amazing, but he been so wrong. There were so many more here, all ranging in intensity. He saw one kid with bright purple wings, a boy with white-blonde hair with what looked like bat wings, and he saw one adult with butterfly wings.

"I thought we only had bird wings," Harry said, looking around the platform.

"Most do in the United Kingdom, but it is not uncommon of people who have ancestors in different countries to have different species of wings. It just depends on genetics," McGonagall responded.

"Wicked," Harry breathed, and for once he wished his wings were a bit more unique.

"This is where I have to leave, Harry," McGonagall said.

Harry looked up at her. "You can't ride the train with me?"

She smiled almost sadly at his words. "I wish I could. But I'm overseeing the sorting and I have to get back to Hogwarts as soon as possible. I'll see you soon enough, though."

She ran a hand through his wild hair, tussling it more. "Goodbye, Harry."

"Goodbye, Grammy Min."

Harry gave her a hug and watched as she disappeared back through the wall. He turned back to the crowd, marvelling once again in the wings. He saw the family of redheads begin to board the train, and one of the twins pointed at him. The boy that was Harry's age stared open mouthed, looking down the twin's arm in his direction, and the girl holding onto the mother's hand blushed and turned away. Harry ducked his head.

"Need any help loading?" came a voice behind him.

Harry spun around. Neville was standing behind him, his grandmother a few steps to the side. Her giant red purse still hung from her arm, and people had to maneuver around her in order to pass. Harry grinned, and the other boy grinned widely in response.

"Neville!" Harry said loudly, making a few heads turn. He bumped fists with the other.

"Hey, Harry! I thought you would have loaded by now," Neville commented,jerking his chin at Harry's luggage.

"I just came through. Oh, hello Mrs. Longbottom." Augusta nodded in acknowledgement.

"We can help you if you wish. I just got my stuff on the train," Neville offered.

"Really? Thank you!"

Augusta motioned for Harry to move forward, and with a wave of her wand, his things began to set themselves up. Hedwig began to hoot when her cage began to rise, and Harry grabbed it, soothing down his pet.

He heard the train whistle loudly. "I beleive you better board unless you wish to be left," Augusta said and they quickly scrambled on board. The poked their heads through the windows as the train began to move, waving goodbye. Harry watched the station get smaller and smaller behind them as they took off, and once he could no longer see it, he drew his head back.

They found an empty compartment and plopped down. Neville closed the door behind them.

"This is it," Harry said breathlessly.

Neville looked out the window at the scenery speeding past. "I know. It feels so unreal."

"Are you still up for that Hufflepuff courage?" Harry said jokingly. Neville gave a small, nervous smile.

"I suppose I am. I just hope my Gran won't be mad."

Harry had a sudden feeling of deja vu. "Don't worry. I'm sure she'll be proud, no matter what house you end up in," he said, parroting Severus' words from earlier.

"You think so?" Neville asked. Harry nodded.

A knock on their compartment door made them both jump. The turned their heads to see Hermione waving at them through the glass window, her tawny wings shining from the light behind her. She opened the door and sat next to Harry.

"This is so exciting," she said, bouncing up and down in her seat. "I can't wait to get there. I heard that first years had to ride in a boat to the castle. I wonder where where sorting will be held? I hope it's the Great Hall. The ceiling is supposed to be charmed to mirror the weather outside. Did you know...?"

Harry and Neville rolled their eyes at each other, an amused smirk tugging on their lips. They played a game of cards, only half-listening to Hermione. Once she got into one of her speils, she didn't calm down until she ran out of words or she exhausted herself, whichever one came first.

Another knock on their compartment door not five minutes later had Hermione stopping mid-sentence. The redheaded boy from earlier smiled sheepishly at them, peering in.

"Is it alright if I sat here? My brothers got really rowdy, so I wanted to get away," he said.

"Yeah, sure. Come in," Neville said, patting the cushion seat beside him.

The kid took the offered seat, maneuvering his green wings so he wouldn't sit on them. "I'm Ron," he said, holding out his hand. "Ron Weasley."

Harry took Ron's hand and shook once. "I'm Harry. Harry Potter."

Ron's eyes widened. "So it's true," Ron breathed. "Fred said something about meeting you, but I didn't believe it. Do you have the...?" He pointed to his own forehead.

Harry restrained from rolling his eyes and brushed his bangs away, showing off the lightning bolt scar.

Ron leaned forward to get a closer look. "Woah! That's so cool!"

"No it isn't," Hermione said. "It's actually rather rude, what you just did."

Ron seemed to notice her for the first time. "What?"

"It's rather rude, isn't it? To ask someone to show their scars?"

Ron's face flushed. "I er, sorry," he mumbled, barely glancing at Harry.

"It's fine," Harry said, his voice a bit strained.

"Do you know what house you'll be in?" Neville asked Ron, breaking the barely-there tension.

Ron's head swiveled to stare. "Huh? Oh, yeah. I definitely know. I'm going to be in Gryffindor."

"Really? How do you know?"

Ron's chest puffed up with pride. "My whole family's been in Gryffindor. Well, except for my great-aunt Alice. She was in Ravenclaw. But everyone else was in Gryffindor."

"That's pretty neat," Neville commented. "My mum was in Hufflepuff and my dad was in Gryffindor. So I think I might get into either one of those."

"What's house do you think you'll be in, Harry?" Ron asked.

Harry shrugged, a bit uncomfortable. "Um, I think either Gryffindor or Slytherin."

Ron's nose scrunched up, as if he just smelled something foul. "Slytherin? Why on earth would you want to go there? That's where everyone evil is."

"Not really," Harry said heatedly, jumping to defense mode. "I know tons of people from Slytherin who are good." So okay, maybe he only knew one person, and maybe that person was just Severus, who wasn't exactly a prime example but he was still okay. He was good enough.

Ron seemed to deflate a bit. "Well, it's still a stupid house. That's where You-Know-Who came from, you know, and every Slytherin that has been in there from the past few years have all turned out evil."

Harry wanted to bang his head on the wall. It seemed whatever Harry just said sailed directly over Ron's head, completely ignored. He shared a look with Hermione, who seemed just as exasperated as Harry felt.

Luckily, before Harry could comment further, something wriggled its way out of Ron's pocket. Hermione shrieked when she saw the large rat that was crawling over the redhead's lap.

"Don't be scared. It's just my pet, Scabbers," Ron said, picking him up and showing him to Hermione. Hermione shrank back into the seat. Harry could see Hedwig staring curiously at Scabbers out of the corner of her eye. He quickly put the cover over her cage before anything could happen.

"Please put him away," Hermione whimpered.

Seeming almost reluctant, Ron put Scabbers back into his pocket. "It's not like he will do anything," he said. "He's so lazy, it's a wonder he can even blink."

"I don't like rodents," Hermione said sternly. Harry eyed her sharply. Oh, so you like snakes, which you lied about in your letter, but can't stand rats? he thought.

"Okay, okay. He won't come out again," Ron said, putting his hands palms up.

"Would you like something from the trolley, dear?" Harry heard an elderly voice ask. He looked over, eyeing the large cart filled with sweets.

"No thanks, I have a sandwich," Ron said, pulling out a smushed corned beef sandwich.

"I'll take something," Neville said, getting up.

With Harry and Neville's combined money, they managed to get nearly half of the things on the cart. Harry got three of everything. Even though the old lady was looking pleased with the money she made, she eyed the dwindled down products with a hint of distaste.

They ate until they were full. Harry had a grand time unwrapping the chocolate frogs and chasing them around their compartment. He bit the head off of one, looking at the card.

"I got Morgana," Harry said, showing off his card.

"Lucky!" Neville groaned. "I got another Dumbledore."

"Do you want some, Hermione?" Harry asked, brandishing a box of Drooble's Everlasting Gum.

Hermione wrinkled her nose and turned away. "No thank you. I don't eat sweets."

Harry quirked an eyebrow. "But the other day at the restaurant-"

"That didn't count!" she said hotly.

"Okay..." He turned back to Neville, who was wolfing down a red licorice wand.

"Ron, are you in here?" Harry heard an older male voice ask.

I'm just so popular today, Harry thought as he once again turned to see who was at his door. It was another redhead, a Weasley if Harry had to guess. The older boy had freckles covering his entire face, and his glasses that were perched perfectly on his gaunt face made him look like one of the uptight workers that Vernon would bring over.

"Fred and George have stopped their prank war. You can come back to the compartment now," the boy said to Ron.

The boy's eyes scanned the other occupants of the compartment before stopping on Harry, or rather, Harry's scar.

"Blimey. Harry Potter," he said, amazed.

He held out his hand, looking almost flustered. "I'm Percy Weasley," he said.

"Er, Harry," Harry replied.

‘So tell me, Harry, what house do you want to be in?" Percy asked, forgetting about Ron.

Harry bit back his groan. He was honestly beginning to hate that question. Did everyone only care about houses? Just to see what would happen, he made up his mind. "Slytherin," he said hotly, glaring at the taller boy.

Percy's face blanched, and he gripped tightly on Ron's arm. "Come on, Ron. Let's head back now. I don't want you associating yourself with Mr. Potter," he commanded, and steered Ron out of the compartment.

"Wha-?" Ron jerked forward, spilling his sandwich onto the floor. As Percy dragged him away, he managed to give a small wave.

Harry folded his arms and glared at the opposite wall.

"I think the cushion is starting to smoke," Neville said, avoiding Harry's gaze.

"That was really rude," Hermione huffed, glaring out the compartment door. "Just because you said you were going to be in Slytherin? So stupid."

"Well if that's the way they're going to be, I don't want to associate with someone who doesn't have any common sense," Harry snapped.

Hermione shared a look with Neville. "Um, I think It's almost time to get our robes on. We're almost there," she said lowly.

Harry huffed. "Okay. Whatever."

.'.


Severus tapped repeatedly on the High Table in front of him with his nail, eyes glancing to the front entrance every few moments. His wings twitched along with the tapping noises, and he willed them still.

"You look nervous," Filius commented, flying with his tiny hummingbird wings into the seat beside him.

"I'm not nervous," he grounded out, giving his customary glare. He glanced at the entrance once again.

"The first-years don't arrive until eight. It's seven right now, Severus. Just wait," Minerva said, putting a calming hand on his shoulder. His jittery nerves didn't stop.

"This is going to be an interesting year, I think," Trelawney quipped. Severus had to stop himself from rolling his eyes. She said that every year.

"I know. I heard Harry Potter is going to be in this batch of firsties this year," Pomona said from the other side of Filius. That didn't help his anxiousness one bit.

"I h-heard too. I w-wonder what h-h-house he'll be in," Quirrell stuttered.

Severus and Minerva shared eye contact.

"Well, with both of his parents being in Gryffindor, I think there's a good chance of him being in the same house. Good for you, Minerva," Filius said almost enviously.

"It's a shame. I would have loved him to be in my house," Pomona sighed. Severus frowned sharply.

"We'll just have to wait and see," Albus said, eyes twinkling. He glanced quickly in Severus' direction. Severus sneered in response.

"As long as those brats don't cause any trouble, I don't care what house they wind up in," Filch snarled from the shadows behind them. Silently, Severus had to agree.


.'.

 

"Woah," Harry breathed, looking at the ceiling. Stars twinkled brightly overhead, and Harry could see the moon shining bright directly over the teacher's table.

"It's amazing," Neville said, looking around.

"It's just like how the book explained it," Hermione commented.

"It's pretty neat, I guess," Ron said.

Harry glanced at the older students, who were looking at all of them with interest. Most didn't even look at Harry. They couldn't see his scar, so their wandering eyes passed right over him.

He saw Percy glancing warily in Harry's direction, his eyes flicking between him and his brother. Harry hid his sneer.

McGonagall stood before the firsties as they lined up between the tables. She placed an old wizard's hat on a wobbly three legged stool. Harry looked at it, feeling a sense of slight disappointment. His excitement drained away slowly.

"That's it?" Harry whispered in Neville's ear, bewildered. "I thought it would be something a bit more challenging. What are we supposed to do? Make a fashion accessory?"

Neville shrugged. "I think we're just supposed to wear it."

"How would that do anything?"

Harry watched as a rip spread across the hat like a mouth. Harry heard a rush of air as it drew in a breath, and then it began to talk.

* "Oh you may may not think me pretty..."

Harry looked up to the teacher's table, searching for Severus. His face must have shown his confusion very well, because Severus just jerked his chin towards the hat again, telling him to pay attention. Harry set his lips in a firm line, still very confused about the whole thing, but turned back towards McGonagall.

Finally, the hat stopped its talk about the houses and the large room went silent in anticipation. McGonagall took out a long scroll, which looked about as long as one of the tables, and began to read.

"Abbott, Hannah!" she shouted over the crowd. A small girl with her blonde hair in pigtails inched her way forward. She sat on the stool, and Harry watched in fascination as the hat was placed on her head. It covered her eyes, and if it wasn't for her ears catching the inside rim, it would have fallen down to her shoulders.

"Hufflepuff!" the hat shouted after a minute. Harry followed her with his eyes as she took off the hat, her tie changing from plain black to black and yellow, and went towards the Hufflepuff table, which was cheering madly for their new member.

"That doesn't look so hard," Harry commented.

Neville shook his head.

Harry stood patiently as different names were called and went to their new house. Hermione's name was called and Harry clapped along with the Ravenclaws as she joined their midst. Neville went to Hufflepuff, just as he suspected, and Harry smiled as he shyly went and sat beside Hannah Abbott.

The blonde boy with bat wings that he saw at the station earlier sauntered forward when his name was called. The hat barely touched his head when it shouted out "Slytherin!"

Harry glanced uneasily at Severus as the boy sat down. He didn't like the way the boy acted. It reminded him way too much of Dudley. Silently, he vowed to stay as far away from him as possible, no matter which house he wound up in.

Finally, it was Harry's turn. Murmurs rang around the room like buzzing flies as he shakily walked forward and sat down on the stool. All eyes were on him now, and he nervously looked at McGonagall. She smiled. The last thing he saw before the hat went over his eyes was Severus giving him an encouraging nod.

"Well well, what have we here?" a voice said in his head. Harry jerked at the noise.

"A Potter, eh? I remember sorting your father. Easy one, him. I barely touched his head before I knew. Gryffindor, of course. Now, where should I put you, hmm? You're a tricky one."

Where are you going to put me? Harry wondered.

"Oh, you're certainly brave. But there are many different forms of bravery. Not all is just rushing into battle to save a damsel, you know." That hat chuckled, the sound bouncing around in Harry's brain. It was rather odd.

"You have a fire inside you, burning brightly, oh yes. You wish to be loved, but that gap is filling, I see. You want to prove yourself, to show everyone that you are not afraid, yes? You can do well In Gryffindor. Slytherin as well, no doubt."

Harry was slightly relieved. At least he could be in either Severus' or McGonagall's house. "Just put me where you think I'll be the most happiest," Harry thought, Severus' words from the train station echoing in his mind.

"That won't be a problem. I know exactly where I'm going to put you. You belong in SLYTHERIN!"

The Great Hall was silent as McGonagall took off the hat. She seemed to be the only one who could do anything. She smiled again, giving him a small shove in the right direction. He gulped as his tie changed to green and silver. Not even the Slytherin table said anything, mute with shock. His steps echoed on the tile as he walked. One could hear a pin drop.

Slowly, Harry slid into the seat beside an older student. He looked at Harry with wide eyes. Harry glanced up at Severus. Severus gave a small smirk. To anyone else, it would have looked threatening, but Harry knew it was a smile. He gave a small smile back in return.

After a beat of silence, as everyone finally registered just where exactly Harry was sitting, the Slytherin table exploded in applause.

"We got Potter! We got Potter!" they cheered. Hands slapped his shoulders, and Harry went dizzy trying to shake everyone's hand. He grinned broadly, feeling a giant weight being lifted from his shoulders.

He looked back behind him to the other tables where Neville and Hermione was sitting. They each smiled widely. He waved, and they waved in return. He looked to the line of students, still long with those unsorted, and found Ron. Harry went to wave, but stopped at the look on the redhead's face.

He was glaring.

.'.

 

Father,

I am writing this to tell you that I have been sorted into Slytherin. Just as you said. Although, I always knew I would be. There is no other place besides Slytherin that would been acceptable, after all.

There is one thing that I must mention though, Father. Something that might trouble you.

Harry Potter has been sorted into Slytherin.

I don't know how this could have happened. The Golden Boy, The-Boy-Who-Lived being in Slytherin? His Muggle-loving father and Mudblood of a mother were both sorted into Gryffindor, weren't they? It must be a fluke. The house actually cheered, if you can believe it! Rubbish, it all is. They're all traitors.

Don't worry, however. I will make it known that he is not welcome, at least be me. I am sure that Severus, pardon, Professor Snape, will agree with me as well. He always loathed Potters.

Tell Mother that I eagerly await her gift.

Regards, your son,

Draco.     
To be continued...
End Notes:
* taken from The Sorcerer's/Philosopher's Stone.


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=3196