Wings of Sun by That_One_New_Pokemon
Summary: Around a young witch or wizard's eleventh birthday they acquire wings, a sign that they have developed their full magic. Many worship their new wings, but to Harry, it's just another sign that he is a freak. Severus Snape is assigned his guardian over the summer before Harry's first year. It is up to him to teach young Harry the ways of the wizarding world and to come to terms with his newfound fame. But there is darkness lurking around every corner, and if Harry is not careful, it will be the last thing he ever knows. Eventual Severitus.

Response to Mellow Moon's Wizards with Wings challenge
Categories: Parental Snape > Guardian Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Dumbledore, Hermione, McGonagall, Neville
Snape Flavour: Snape Comforts
Genres: Family, Fluff, Hurt/Comfort
Media Type: None
Tags: Slytherin!Harry, Snape-meets-Dursleys
Takes Place: 1st summer before Hogwarts, 1st Year
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys, Neglect, Profanity
Prompts: Wizards With Wings
Challenges: Wizards With Wings
Series: None
Chapters: 13 Completed: No Word count: 79730 Read: 54898 Published: 05 Mar 2015 Updated: 11 May 2016
A New Home For Summer by That_One_New_Pokemon
Author's Notes:
'italics' are Parseltongue
='= is dream

Severus was still seething as he and Potter walked down the corridor towards the dungeons. Of all the things the barmy old Headmaster could have done, and he stuck with him taking care of Potter. Him, the enemy of the boy's father.

But also his mother's friend, the voice chimed in again. He growled, telling the voice to sod the fuck off. Dear Merlin, he was going barmy.

Potter didn't seem to notice Severus' internal struggle, too busy petting the white feathers of the beautiful snowy owl on his shoulder; Hedwig, if he remembered correctly. She had fluttered in after Potter had gotten through with his examination, scaring Poppy half to death. It was quite amusing, watching the usually stern Mediwitch screech as Hedwig fluttered around, knocking into things, looking for her owner.

He stopped in front of a large portrait depicting a forest scene. It was definitely out of place in the dark dungeons, but he hadn't the heart to get rid of it after Slughorn had retired. He quite liked the portrait as well, but nobody needed to know that.

Potter bumped into him, still cooing to his owl. "Sorry, sir," he mumbled but not shyly. He had seemed to grow more attached to Severus on their trek down the dungeons, (much to Severus' annoyance) and therefore was more confident.

"It's alright," Severus said semi-nicely, his fake smile looking more like a grimace. If he had to live with the spawn of James Potter for two months, he had better make it as enjoyable as he could.

"Calla Lilly," he said to the portrait, and the painting swung open, revealing a brick wall.

Potter looked puzzled. "Sir? I thought there was supposed to be a door behind there?"

Severus gave an amused glance to the boy behind him. "There is. Watch." He placed his hand on the brick in the middle, and the area around his hand began to glow a pale blue. He plucked a feather from his wing and placed it next to his hand. The blue aura turned a lime green and the brick wall disappeared, revealing a dark oak wood door behind it.

"This is an extra precaution. My magical aura is channeled into the door so only I can access it. If someone who knew my password tried to get into my rooms, they would be met with a brick wall. If they tried to enter through force, an automatic warding spell will activate, stunning them immediately," he explained.

Potter whistled. "Awesome." Hedwig hooted her agreement.

Severus sniffed haughtily. "'Awesome' indeed."

He stepped over the threshold, Potter right on his heels. "I am going to gather my things, Potter. Stay right here and touch nothing, do you understand?"

Potter nodded. "Yes, sir." He mock saluted. He began to spin around slowly, taking in the living room. Hedwig flew from Potter's shoulder and perched herself on the back of Severus' favorite winged-back chair next to the fireplace.

Shaking his head, he left the bird and boy and began walking down the hallway to his room.

 

.'.

Harry took in the room with a sense of awe. He seemed to be doing that lately, but in his defense, everything was amazing.

The walls were a dark brick, which he kind of expected, seeing as it was the dungeons. The couch and chairs were a black leather that shone in the firelight. A green rug took up the floor and a dark wood table sat in the corner. Whatever space there was on the walls were filled up by shelves filled to the brim with books and bottles of various pickled animals.

A picture on top of the fireplace caught his eye. It was a rather light picture, compared to the darkness of the room and his curiosity peaked immediately. He had to look at this photo.

As carefully as he could, he stood on his tiptoes, gripping the edge of the mantle shelf for support, and reached for the picture, Snape's warning fleeing from his mind. The picture was a bit farther back as he thought. His fingers barely grazed the glass protecting the image. His toes began to hurt, so he plopped back down flat-footed.

He got a glimpse of wings in the photo when he was up there. Copper wings, to be exact, that looked exactly like his from what he could see.

He tried reaching again, jumping this time, and managed to grasp the edge of the frame. He lost his balance however and fell back down on his rear. He quickly looked towards the hallway, praying that Snape hadn't heard the noise. He waited with baited breath, and when Snape didn't come barreling down the hallway, he let a sigh of relief escape him.

The photo was now laying face-down, still on the mantle.

"Hey, Hedwig," He turned towards his owl. Hedwig stopped preening her feathers and looked at him. "Do you think you could fly up there and get me the picture?"

Hedwig gave him a 'are you crazy?' look and went back to preening her feathers.

Harry huffed. "Some help you are," he grumbled.

He looked around for something to stand on that wouldn't get ruined from the dirt on his shoes. He found nothing. Harry sat crossed-legged on the floor, dejected, and began playing with one of his primary feathers. How was he supposed to get the picture now?

Oh.

Oh.

Harry felt like an idiot.

Hopping back up on his feet, Harry spread his wings. He flapped them a few times in preparation. Hedwig watched with a bored look.

He bent his legs, and just as he was about to let off and fly to the mantle, a silky voice came from behind him:

"Just what do you think you are doing, Potter?"

Harry gulped, his wings slowly falling back down. He turned to see Snape tapping his foot, arms folded and a very unimpressed look on his face. He raised an eyebrow, a hint of a sneer on his lips. "Well?"

"Uh..." Harry's eyes were darting anywhere that wasn't Snape, searching his brain for an excuse.

Hedwig hopped from the chair to the mantle, grabbed the picture with her talons, and flew to Snape. He took the frame as Hedwig landed on his shoulder.

Harry felt betrayed. You tattletale, he thought towards his owl.

Snape looked down at the picture in his hand and then at Harry. "What were you planning on doing with this?"

"I just wanted to look at it! I wasn't going to steal it or anything," he started to argue but his voice trailed off at the end when Snape gave him a pointed glare.

Snape looked back down at the picture, his features softening a tad. "Do you know who this person is, Mr. Potter?" Snape asked with more emotion he had ever heard from the man.

"Um, no, sir. I don't." Harry replied honestly. "I only got to see the wings."

Snape turned the photo around in his hands, seeming to contemplate something. After a moment where Harry thought he had turned into a statue, he wordlessly handed the photo to Harry and went behind him to pick up their trunks, Hedwig still perched on his shoulder.

Harry watched Snape throw something into the fire, turning the orange flames green. He turned back to the photo, barely hearing Snape's shout of "Spinner's End!" and the whoosh that followed.

His breath caught in his throat when he saw the full picture. A girl around his age, if not slightly older stared back at him. Her eyes, which looked exactly like Harry's, were full of energy and happiness. Her bright auburn locks were flying in around her face, frozen in the picture. Her wings, identical to Harry's as well, were spread out, turning gold from the sunlight. Hidden slightly behind her wings, a boy with long black hair and raven wings was waving, crinkles around his eyes from the large smile on his face.

Harry turned back to the professor. Snape was crouched down in front of the fire, wings touching the floor, staring into the flames with a far away look.

"Sir, who is this?" Harry asked. He felt as if he knew the girl from somewhere, but he couldn't place it.

Snape swallowed thickly. "That girl," he drew in a shaky breath, "is your mother. We were best friends when we were little," he said, sounding pained. Harry guessed if he had lost his best friend, he would still be sad, too. But he didn't have a best friend, so he wouldn't know the pain.

"Oh." He wanted to hug the photo to his chest, but he didn't know how Snape would react to that. Instead, he walked over to where Snape was still crouched down, and held the picture out.

Snape looked at it for a moment, then shoved it back towards Harry. "Keep it."

Harry fumbled with the picture. "Really?"

Snape looked like he was going to snatch the picture back, but nodded slowly. "Yes."

This time, Harry did hug the photo to his chest. He hugged it so tight that the edges of the frame dug into his skin, but he didn't care. "Thank you, sir! Thank you, thank you!"

Snape seemed a bit uncomfortable. "You're welcome."

He cleared his throat, and Harry looked up from showing Hedwig, who had flown from Snape's shoulder to Harry's.

"We will be leaving now, Potter," Snape said, standing up.

"I thought we were staying here, sir?"

"Absolutely not." Snape seemed to shudder before continuing. "We will be going to my house in Cokeworth. We will be traveling by Floo."

Another traveling method that Harry knew noting about. First Apparation and now Floo. What next? A flying carpet?

Sensing Harry's confusion, Snape explained: "Floo is travel by fire. You throw this," Snape picked up a small urn filled with powder, "Floo powder into the flame and say where you wish to go very clearly. If you do not speak clearly, there is no telling where you will go."

"We are going to be traveling by fire?" Harry asked, incredulous. "Wouldn't that hurt?"

"Not at all. The Floo powder prevents the flames from hurting. I have already sent our stuff ahead." Now that he mentioned it, Harry saw no sign of the trunks. "Now come here, I will instruct you on how to enter the flames."

Warily, Harry walked towards Snape. He didn't quite believe him.

Snape must have seen the doubt on Harry's face because he rolled his eyes. "Oh for God's sakes! Just get over here! It's not going to kill you!"

Harry shuffled quickly to the older man, Hedwig flying off his shoulder with an annoyed nip at the ear.

"Thank you!" Snape huffed. "Now, once I throw this Floo powder into the fire, it will be safe to use. Do NOT step into the fireplace until I say otherwise."

Harry took a step away from the fireplace, closer to Snape.

Snape threw the powder in the fire and it turned green like before.

"Alright. Now, Potter, you may step into the fire." Harry did so, and he unclenched his muscles as the fire gradually began to cool. It felt odd, cold fire.

"Keep you arms tucked firmly beside you," Harry stood straighter and clutched the photo close to his chest, " ...or on your chest. That will work as well, I suppose. Keep your wings folded tightly behind you," Harry folded his wings to his back, "Do not move. Stay perfectly still while you spin. Do you understand me?" Harry nodded. "Good. Now...Spinner's End!"

Harry's world instantly turned. He could see inside other living rooms as he span, and he wanted nothing more than to hold out a hand and catch himself when he felt like he would fall, but he stayed still to Snape's orders.

He was finally spat out face first next to their trunks in a very dirty living room. Well, from what he could tell. He was covered head to toe in soot and it seemed his glasses got the worst of it.

He quickly moved out of the way when he heard the fireplace roar and Snape stepped out, hardly any soot or dirt on him. He took one look at Harry (or better yet, his glasses) and Harry swore he heard a repressed snort which shocked him more than made him mad. Snape could laugh? He didn't think the stern man had it in him.

Snape waved his wand, and the soot disappeared. Harry could see more clearly and he ruffled his wings, making sure all the stuff from the fireplace was out of all of his feathers.

"Your owl is resting in Hogwarts' owlery. She will be here later tonight or tomorrow," Snape said, picking up his own trunk.

Harry picked up his as well, noticing the other supplies and Hedwig's cage that Hagrid had kept were laying on top of it. He quickly stuffed the clothes in the trunk and shut the lid with difficulty.

Snape led him up the stairs and into a long hallway. He showed Harry the bathroom and his room, which he was never to enter unless there was an emergency. Finally, he stopped in front of a door at the end of the hallway.

"This is your room. Put your stuff in here then join me down in the kitchen in twenty minutes. I'm sure that is enough time to get everything organized, yes?" Snape turned and walked down the hall to his own room.

Harry pushed open his door-his own room!-and peered inside. The walls and ceiling were a light blue and the ceiling had white clouds on it. There was a twin sized bed pushed next to a rather small window. A desk was in the corner, a bottle of what looked like ink and a feather-Quill, if he remembered correctly-poking out of it was on it as well as a small lamp. A dresser was on the wall of the door.

A tiny bookshelf was opposite the desk, filled with thin children's books. This had obviously belonged to a child at some point. Funny, he didn't remember Snape mentioning he had a kid.

He drug his trunk to the end of the bed and sat on it. He looked around, still full of wonder. The room had a inch of dust on it, but he didn't care. He had his own room! Never had he dreamed he would have something like a room to call his own.

He began to pull out his school books, placing them next to the small children's ones and placed his wand on the desk. His clothes would have to be hung up and folded later. He placed Hedwig's cage on top of the bookcase along with the picture of his mother.

He closed his trunk and walked out of the room, satisfied. He had only taken ten minutes. He still had ten more to go. He stopped in front of Snape's door. Light shown from the bottom crack.

Deciding to leave Snape alone in case he got yelled at, he went down to the kitchen, which doubled as the dining room.

He sat down at the dining table. A sliding glass door was beside the table, and Harry moved the curtains so he could see outside. There was a rather large yard for such a small house. A small creek ran through the middle of it. From what Harry could see, the creek was heavily polluted. He definitely wasn't going swimming in that any time soon.

The grass was overgrown, and weeds were poking out from the small porch. Harry saw a clump of grass move. His curiosity peaked once more that evening, and he sat forward, closer to the door.

The clump moved again and Harry got up to investigate. He opened the door slowly, trying not to make much noise and stepped onto the patio.

He walked as slowly and quietly as possible towards the wriggling grass. He peered and nearly jumped back in horror, a small shout of surprise emitting from his mouth. A black water snake stared back, it's head cocked to the side almost curiously.

'Hello'.

Harry spun around wildly, trying to locate the voice.

'What are you doing?'

There it was again!

"Who are you?" He called.

'I am Ssspin.'

Spin? Who the heck was Spin?

'Look down.'

Harry looked down. The snake was in the same spot, but raised up a bit, coming up to Harry's knee.

"Are you Spin?" he asked, willing himself to stay still. There was no way he was going to run away from a water snake. He had faced worse.

The snake, Spin, bobbed it's head in a nod.

Harry felt as if he was going crazy. He was talking to a snake, and it was responding! Surely this wasn't normal, even in the wizard world!

'Hello, Ssspeaker.'

"Speaker? What do you mean?" Harry asked.

'You ssspeak my language. Not many of your kind do.' Spin replied.

He knew it! "Who else speaks your, uh, language?"

Spin seemed to shudder, if snakes could shudder. 'There isss an evil one, known to the sssnakess as the Evil Hissser. He ssspeaksss the language of the sssnakesss asss well. You wizardsss know him asss Lord Voldemort.'

Oh, great. Of all the people Harry had to have the same rare talent with, it had to be the man who killed his parents.

"I'm guessing snakes don't like him very much?" Harry asked.

Spin shook his head. 'He thinksss he can control usss with hisss Parcccel Magic. Only one that I know of hasss followed him. Ssshe isss a fool.'

"What's her name?"

'Ssshe goesss by the name of Nagini.'

Nagini? That was certainly an odd name, although not as odd as Spin. He didn't tell the snake that.

"So do all snakes hate people that can do Parcel Magic?"

Spin shook his head. 'Only thossse with bad intentionsss, like Evil Hissser.'

"Oh. So you do not hate me?"

'No. Unlesss you want to control me?'

Harry shook his head rapidly. "No! Never! I would never want to control anybody. Or anything!"

Spin seemed pleased with that answer. 'What isss your name, Ssspeaker? You never inroduccced yourssself.'

"Oh, uh, my name is Harry." Harry flushed. He never thought to introduce himself. How rude.

'Harry. That'sss a niccce name.' Spin said. He cocked his head sideways in thought, then slithered towards Harry.

Harry tried to hold back a whimper as Spin slithered up his leg and onto his shoulder. His scales were cold and slimy from being in the murky water.

'I like you, Harry. You are niccce.' Spin hissed in his ear.

"Uh...thanks?" Harry make a weird squealing noise in the back of his throat.

'Can you be my friend?'

"S-sure." Spin hissed in happiness and nuzzled his cheek.

'Thank you, Harry. I have never had a friend before.'

Harry warily petted Spin's head with one finger. "You're welcome."

"HARROLD JAMISON POTTER! WHAT IN HADES ARE YOU DOING?!"

Harry jumped at Snape's enraged yell. Snape was standing at the opened sliding door, a look of pure fury and...was that concern on his face as well?

"Put that snake down this instant!" He stalked towards Harry. His black wings were spread wide, making him look like a vengeful dark angel.

"It's fine, sir!" Harry said, suddenly protective of his new slithery friend. "He's nice! He wont hurt me!"

Snape stopped inches away from Harry. "And how would you know that?"

"Spin is my friend."

Snape looked exasperated. "You have already named the damned snake?"

"No. Spin told me his name."

Snape paused. "He...told you?"

Harry nodded quickly. "Uh-huh." Spin whispered something and Harry cocked his head closer to hear better.

"Spin says you are not a nice man," Harry relayed.

"You can understand him?" Snape asked, ignoring the mean man comment. He no longer seemed mad. If anything, he seemed a bit curious and scared.

"Yep," he said, making the P pop.

Snape sighed, and ran a hand through his long hair, his wings going down. He turned back towards the house."Inside. Now. We need to talk."

With a sense of dread, he shared a glance with Spin and followed the older man inside.


.'.

Severus couldn't believe it. A Parselmouth! The damn boy was a Parselmouth.

Dear Merlin, the afternoon couldn't have gotten any more weird. Was it only four hours ago that he had visited the Dursleys?

He pulled out a chair from underneath the dining table and turned it around, straddling it and placing his arms on the back.

Potter tried to do the same, but just looked silly with his arms way above his head and his feet dangling off the floor. The boy's cheeks turned red and he turned the seat around and sat in it the proper way. The snake was still resting on the boy's shoulder, the tail curled around Potter's arm. It stared at him the entire time.

"I'm sorry, Potter, but I have to do this." Before Potter could react, he pulled out his wand, pointing at the snake, and shouted "Animagus Revealio!"

Nothing. The snake stayed exactly the way it was, if not looking slightly confused. Spin-was the snake really named Spin? What an odd name-hissed something and Potter hissed back, probably not even realizing he was doing so. Severus shuddered. He would never get used to someone speaking Parseltongue.

"Sspin is confussed. What wass that sspell ssuppossed to do, ssir?" Potter asked, hissing his S's slightly.

Severus rubbed his temples at the sharp pain that suddenly appeared. He repressed yet another shudder. "It was nothing, Potter. That spell was just a precaution. I was trying to make sure that the snake wasn't animagus, a witch or wizard that can transform into an animal at will."

Potter gave him a confused look.

"You'll find out soon enough," Severus said with a slight smirk. Minerva's show was always spectacular. No doubt Potter would get the shock of his lifetime when the cat turned into his teacher.

"Now, about your snake. Spin, was it?" The black snake nodded at the same time Potter said, "Yes, sir!"

"Do you know that this...talent that you have is not a very common one?" Severus questioned.

Potter nodded. "Yes, sir. Spin told me. He also said that I share it with Vol-uh, You-Know-Who."

Severus wasn't surprised the snake knew about the Dark Lord. Animals, unlike Muggles, had the ability to go through each world as they pleased and could see and experience the magic. No doubt Potter's snake had heard the rumors and tales of the Dark Lord in his time in the magical world.

"Yes, you do," Severus said slowly. "It is often considered Dark Magic," Seeing the crestfallen look on Potter's face, he quickly continued, "but that does not make you Dark. I personally do not see it as that. I see it as an asset. It is only Dark if you use it with bad intentions."

Realization dawned on the boy. "Oh! Spin said something like that. He said You-Know-Who used his Parcel Magic to control other snakes and only one joined him. What was her name?" The snake hissed something.

"Nagini? Yeah, Nagini. That was the snake. Thanks, Spin. Anyway, apparently snakes hate You-Know-Who because he tries to control them and Nagini now because she joined him."

Potter's snake knew the Dark Lord's? "Really? She is well known in the snake...community?" Spin hissed in Potter's ear.

"She wasn't but then she joined Evil Hisser, er, You-Know-Who. Word travels fast with snakes."

Much like Hogwarts, Severus thought.

"Sir, will I be able to take Spin with me to Hogwarts? I know I have Hedwig, but I don't want to leave Spin behind," Potter asked, changing the topic abruptly. Potter cradled Spin in his hands. The black snake wrapped around his wrist and stared at Severus as if daring him to refuse.

"I...will have to talk to the Headmaster. I'm sure he would understand, but I hold no promises."

Potter's eyes lit up and Severus was painfully reminded of Lily. "Thank you, sir!"

Spin hissed in happiness, seeming pleased.

"It is not me you should be thanking," Severus pointed out.

"Thank you anyway, for bringing the topic to the Headmaster."

Severus nodded. "You are welcome."

He watched as Potter let Spin slither around his hand, playing with the snake. The Headmaster would not take the news well that his Golden Boy was a Parselmouth. It definitely wouldn't do for word to get out. No doubt an uproar would occur over the fact that the boy could possible be a Dark Wizard.

"I am sure you have many more questions," As do I "but those will have to be answered tomorrow. For right now, this house needs to be cleaned." He wrinkled his nose at the dirt that caked the floor. Potter nodded, agreeing.

"But I must know one thing from Spin." He turned to the snake.

Spin looked at him.

"If you do go to Hogwarts with Potter, you will need to stay hidden or else it will cause problems that I am not so sure that I can handle if they arise."

Spin bobbed his head and hissed. "He promises," Potter translated.

"Good. Now, I will take the kitchen and living room, you will take your room and the bathroom," Severus instructed.

"What?"

"The cleaning! Where you not listening? Keep up, Potter. Between the two of us, we should be done before we go to bed."

"Oh."

Severus pulled out his wand. "Let's start, shall we?"


.'.

Snape handed him a feather duster and a broom and shooed him up the stairs. He entered his room and set Spin down on the window sill.

He began with the bookcase. He pulled out the books one by one and dusted underneath them. He knew it was the longer way, but he didn't feel like taking them all out and putting them back up and possibly making a bigger mess.

He couldn't reach the top, so he stood precariously on a lower empty shelf. He moved Hedwig's cage, and after a moments thought, opened the door. He would open the window later to make it easier for her to get in if she came back that night.The desk and dresser was easier to clean since he didn't have to reach that high. They were both made for a kid his size or smaller.

He startled Spin out of his nap when he took the covers and sheets off his bed and shook them free of dust. He voiced his displeasure in very loud hisses with many vulgar words that definitely would have made Snape wash his mouth out with soap if Harry repeated them. He left the covers in a heap on the floor to be washed later.

After sweeping the floor and putting the dust in a little pile near the doorway, he bounced a bit on his now sheet-less bed and admired his hard work. The walls were still dusty, but he figured Snape could help him with that later.

'Very niccce. A lot better than before,' Spin commented, now wide awake. After Harry woke him, he had refused to go back to sleep in case he was roused again and instead watched Harry clean.

"Thanks."

He left Spin on the window sill and went down the stairs to find Snape. He was going to need some help cleaning the bathroom.

He stepped into the living room and stopped, gaping.

Snape was laying on the couch, a book covering his face. One arm was laying over his chest while the other was over the side of the couch, hand brushing the floor. One leg was sprawled over the back of the couch and the other was bent, a sock covered foot jammed against the arm rest. His wings were splayed behind him over the other arm rest. Light snores was coming from the man.

So it seemed Spin wasn't the only one who decided to take a short nap.

The entire living room was spotless, as was the kitchen. Plates were now on the dining table along with a flower vase center piece with one white lily.

Harry couldn't believe it. It took him nearly two hours to clean his room and it barely had much to clean. There was a lot of stuff to clean in the living room that would have taken nearly twice as long to clean, not to mention the extra hours from kitchen and dining room!

"How?" Harry breathed.

"Magic, obviously," came the slightly muffled voice of Snape from the couch.

Harry jumped. "You're awake? I thought you were asleep!"

Snape yawned. The book was still covering his face, which made him look funny when he did that. Snape sat up, removing the book from his face. His wings were ruffled a bit from the awkward angle they were in.

"I was. You tromping down the stairs woke me up."

Harry blushed slightly. He thought he was rather quiet going down the stairs, but apparently not.

"Sorry," Harry apologized.

Snape stretched. "S'fine," he said, yawning again. "Are you done with your room?"

Harry nodded. "Yes, sir. I was just coming down to see if you could help me clean the bathroom."

"No need." He smoothed out his feathers. "I'll do it."

"But I want to help."

"You can help with lunch. You are experienced with cooking?" At Harry's nod, Snape stood up, smoothing out the wrinkles in his dress shirt. "Good. There is a bit of canned food in the pantry and some vegetables and fruit from Hogwarts in the ice box. I do not own a House-Elf, so think of something to eat while I clean the bathroom." With that, Snape ascended the stairs, leaving Harry standing in the middle of the living room wondering what the heck a House-Elf was.

Harry moved to the kitchen and opened the pantry doors. Multiple cans of cream of chicken, cream of onion, canned salmon, broccoli and cheese soup and cream of celery stared back at him. He moved to the refrigerator where he found some strawberries, grapes, celery and carrots. A half-full carton of milk was on the top shelf.

He took the Broccoli and Cheese soup and the stalks of celery out. It would be a rather quick and easy meal. He only had to heat up the soup in the microwave and cut up the celery into chunks and mix it with the carrots.

When Snape came back down the stairs minutes later, Harry had already began the process of chopping up celery and putting the soup into bowls.

"Can you please put the bowls into the microwave? Thank you, sir" Harry asked, motioning towards the bowls of soup.

Snape picked up one of the bowls. "Cheese and Broccoli?" he asked.

"Mm-hmm. You like cheese and broccoli?"

"It wouldn't be my first choice, but it's doable. I'll eat it." Snape set the microwave time and went to the fridge. He peered in.

"We are definitely going shopping tomorrow," Harry could hear Snape mumble as he rummaged through the vegetable and fruit drawer.

He came back with some grapes and strawberries. "We can have this for dessert."

"Okay." The microwave beeped and Harry got a cloth and got the bowl out. He set the celery and fruit in the center on the table, setting the bowl down in front of his chair. Snape heated the other bowl and sat down in the other chair opposite of Harry.

They ate in silence, the only noise coming from the spoons hitting the side of the bowls and the crunch of the celery and carrots.

"So," Harry began, setting his spoon down, finished with his soup. "What are you going to shop for tomorrow? Are you going to Diagon Alley?"

Snape blew on his soup, holding up a finger in a 'just a moment' gesture. He ate his bite. "We are going shopping tomorrow. Yes, you are coming along, Potter, don't look so shocked. Along with food, you need more clothes and whatever else you need to keep you busy. Those...rags you have on will not do." Harry looked down at his oversized clothes and ratty sneakers. He thought they were fine, but then again, he liked anything he could get.

"We will not be going to Diagon Alley. We will be going to a Muggle shop in town, mainly for the reason that I do not wish to...be sociable...in case of the chance that people will recognize you."

"Oh. Okay. Thank you sir." Snape just grunted and finished his lunch.

After lunch, Snape instructed Harry to get his Potions book and quizzed him on the different ingredients and potions until it got dark. They ate the canned salmon and the rest of the fruit for supper and Harry retired up to his room.

Snape had apparently cleaned his sheets as well when he cleaned the bathroom because when Harry entered his room, his bed was made, the cover folded back for easy access.

He sat at his desk and read the children's books by the light of the lamp. He got through with most of them them rather quickly since they were so short. Snape was right. He was going to need something else to occupy his mind. As interesting as his school books were, he didn't think they would hold his interest for the rest of the summer.

Spin had curled around Harry's arm at some point and fell asleep. His arm felt tingly from being asleep, so he gingerly removed Spin and placed him on the desk. Hopefully Hedwig wouldn't eat him if she came in that night.

He opened the window for Hedwig then poked his head out the door.

"I'm going to bed, sir. Goodnight," he called. He heard Snape harrumph a goodnight from the living room below.

He kicked off his shoes and placed his glasses on the desk. He was asleep before his head hit the pillow.

 

='=

"Not Harry! Please, not Harry!" A woman with red hair was pleading, protecting her baby in the crib.

"Move out of the way, silly girl," said a cruel voice. The man was dressed in dark robes, making him blend in with the shadows. He held a wand at the woman's chest.

"No, please-"

"Avada Kadavra!" A bright green light shot from the wand, hitting the screaming woman who fell in a heap in front of the crib.

The shadow man who held the wand came closer to the crib and peered at the crying baby. "Now, for you. Avada Kadavra!"


='=

Harry woke just as the green light filled his dream. Cold sweat stuck to his body and he shivered, pulling the covers closer.

He heard a small hoot and looked at the bookcase. Hedwig was sitting on her perch in her cage, looking at him with a curious look.

"Hey, girl. You came back huh?" He closed the window and got out of bed. Hedwig fluttered down and landed on Harry's shoulder. She nipped at his wild hair in affection.

'Are you okay, Harry?' Spin hissed from his spot on the desk.

"I'm fine, Spin. It was just a bad dream. You can go back to sleep."

Spin nodded once. 'Tell your owl that I am not a sssnack. Ssshe tried to eat me when ssshe firssst came in.'

Harry turned to Hedwig. "Hey! Play nice. He's a friend. Don't eat him, okay? I kinda want him in one piece," he lightly chastised. Hedwig hooted her agreement then flew back to her perch.

Harry left his pets, grabbing his glasses, and went down the stairs and into the kitchen. He took the milk carton from the fridge and a small glass from the cabinet. He filled the glass halfway full with milk, put up the carton, and walked to the living room. He sat on the couch, looking into the empty fireplace.

What was that dream about? Harry couldn't shake the lingering feeling of dread. It had felt so real, as if he had been there. The woman with the red hair had looked a lot like the girl in the picture that Snape had given him, and Harry's heart sank. Could that had been his mother? He remembered what that Hermione girl had said the day before in Madame Malkins, how it was Voldemort that had killed his parents, not a car crash.

But how had she known that, and why had she have so much fear in her voice? He knew he was in a book, Hogwarts A Mystery or whatever, and that information surely was bound to be in there, but that didn't excuse the fear. He was dead, right? He wasn't going to return any time soon. The rumors of his return were just that, rumors. Why was she so afraid of rumors?

Shaking his head, he decided to write to Hermione the next day, before he and Snape went shopping. He would ask Snape as well about the rumors and about his parents. He did say he would answer questions, so Harry was going to use that to his advantage.

He finished the milk and set the glass in the sink. He walked up the stairs two at a time, the darkness behind him making his imagination go wild.

Harry stopped in front of Snape's room, fidgeting. He didn't want to return to his room, where it would be very dark and no curtains to cover the window. The dream had left a sense of fear in him that he couldn't shake, as if he expected to be ambushed at any time.

Should he just go back to his room? He didn't want to be a bother and to seem like a little kid. Plus, he didn't think Snape would appreciate being woken up at three in the morning.

He walked a step towards his own room, and stopped. Snape's door was cracked open. He mentally battled with himself, and finally, the fear of the dark won out. He quietly entered the room, making no noise whatsoever. Snape was curled into a ball on his bed, facing the door. Harry could see his large wings poking out the end of the covers.

Harry stopped, holding his breath. Was the man awake?

Snores came from the older man and Harry breathed a sigh of relief. Snape was still asleep and hadn't heard Harry walk in.

Harry chose a spot on the floor near the wall. He curled up into his own little ball and fell asleep, not noticing the stare of Snape on his back.

To be continued...
End Notes:
Finally! The third chapter is done! I'm sorry it took so long to update, but school got in the way. Junior year is so hectic! I hope you like it!

Up next: Shopping! And Dumbledore pays a visit to the Dursleys.

Review!



This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=3196