Life as an Auror by SHallow
Summary: Harry joins the Aurors and whose portrait would he carry in his honor but Severus Snape.
Categories: Teacher Snape > Trusted Mentor Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Original Character, Other
Snape Flavour: Snape Comforts, Snape is Controlling, Snape is Kind, Out of Character Snape, Overly-protective Snape, Snape is Stern
Genres: Action/Adventure, Canon, Family, Fantasy, Mystery, Supernatural
Media Type: None
Tags: New Identity!Harry
Takes Place: 8 - Post Hogwarts (young adult Harry)
Warnings: None
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 9 Completed: No Word count: 7907 Read: 15629 Published: 10 May 2015 Updated: 18 Nov 2016
Chapter 6 by SHallow
Author's Notes:
Sorry for the long wait. The next one might come in a long time as well, so I just decided to make sure this has a lot more than all the previous ones. I am sorta busy writing something else, and need it finished in a month or so. R&R please!
"Hajir?" Mustafa spluttered upon reaching the windy over-cliff. Harry sprawled on the ground, his magic immediately seeping through and making him dizzy with energy loss.

"Did you have to choose a place in the heart of Hajir?" Khadir scowled.

"Janab?" Snape said from his portrait trying to rubberneck his head through the portrait to be able to see but to no avail.

"Severus my boy! Harry must be a very strong mage to be able to transport from here to San'aa and yet retain much of his strength even with the dragonblood sucking his energy like a leech."

"He is strong, but he never works harder than mediocre. I am surprised he didn't show all of his skills even in his OWL's," Snape chuckled. "WIth a family as unsupportive as his, I can't say I am really surprised at his classwork.... but he really can do more than he will ever give himself credit for."

"Thanks for the opinion sir. Never thought you actually saw much, or cared much really," Harry stuttered trying to keep his eyes open and not fall out of sheer exhaustion.

"I was very mean to you, wasn't I? Alas, appearances had to be kept, or else Dumbledore would have lost a spy, and you would have lost your life a couple of times."

"Why did you care though?" Khadir asked, as he tried pulling Harry into an alcove further from the dangerous cliff and trees.

"I was in love with Potter's mother. She didn't love me back, but I loved her and love her still. Funny, I never thought portraits had emotions, goes to show," Severus mused. "how did I die though Potter?"

"Not with a smile, that's for certain," Harry muttered, "Voldemort ordered Nagini to attack you. It was gruesome, and bloody and .... and we couldn't do anything to save you," Harry croaked out. "You gave us your memories and then died... just like that. We turned and fled to the castle. I wanted to see what was so important - Dumbledore wanted me to kill myself. Okay, sure, he thought it might work and all but I am not a lab rat."

"You say Nagini attacked me?"

"Yea, bit you right through. I could see the blood pouring out of your veins.." Harry shuddered.

"I am a snake as an animagus Potter. Like your dogfather."

"So?" Harry mused.

"I can't be killed by the poison of Nagini for we are the same species, I am a python too; I am immune to the effects of venom."

"So you must be alive then? But how, we buried your body."

"A snake animagus sheds its skin before transforming into a snake. You found my shedded body, I may be alive."

"Portraits aren't given life until the person dies, isn't it?" Harry asked.

"Portraits aren't given life until the person is declared dead and a burial occurs. There is no certainty of any one beings dead just because his portrait is alive. To really know if I am certainly alive, you will have to view my vault. Without any successive heir, the goblins will pass on my vault upon my true death to the Ministry - and goblins know when any person truly dies because of their superior magic."

"So, we should go back to London just to see whether you are alive? Or is there some other way?"

"Nice to know you care so much Potter," Snape said sarcastically, "No, there is a Gringotts bank here as well. Not all governments agree to giving the goblins a hold of their money, but the Arabs have no such qualms."

"So I can get my gold out of my vault here too?"

"Perhaps, but given a greater incentive the goblins will reveal your location to the wizarding public, so I do not advise it. My being dead means I cannot show up there either, but Janab can, being my teacher and therefore genuinely afraid of my health and sound mind."

"Could you?" Harry said, finally remembering that Khadir was there as well.

"I could do it. I will check your vault Severus, tonight after we have an abode made for the two of you and us to reside in " Khadir said with a smirk.

"How will we do it?"

"Inquisitive boy, it will be just me and Mustafa for today. Your energy and magical core is spent and we need you up and about tomorrow to get everything else done. For now, we will just start by conjuring a bed for you and will get work around the other things."

"But I want to help," Harry said indignantly as a bed popped beneath him and covered him warmly in a soft afghan. Even with all his protesting Harry quickly fluttered to sleep.

Severus smirked as Khadir created a wall to prop him up and began casting like the mad genius he really was. With a wave of his hand, he had the couches created and the room that went from Harry's room to the corridor. Harry remained oblivious to everything that occurred around him as he slowly drifted into a stupor from which he awoke two days later.
To be continued...
End Notes:
Hope you all liked this chapter. Review soon! I will be updating in around a week or two. I am sorry this couldn't be longer or anything but I promise the next chapter will have a little more about Snape's life as child and more info on dragonblood trees from the magical point of view.


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=3220