Right in Front of Me (Book 1) by ShabbyBeachNest
Summary: Dark secrets and an even darker past threaten to destroy the boy on whom the entire wizarding world has pinned their hopes. Can Severus Snape find it within him to heal and accept the broken child of his nemesis, and in the process, ultimately heal and accept himself? (AU-ish, but follows canon. Severitus - mentor/adoption - WARNING: mentions sexual abuse, but no details)
Categories: Healer Snape, Reverse Roles > Healer Harry, Parental Snape > Guardian Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Dumbledore, Original Character
Snape Flavour: Snape is Angry, Snape Comforts, Snape is Desperate, Snape is Kind
Genres: Angst, Drama
Media Type: None
Tags: Injured!Harry, Injured!Snape, Snape-meets-Dursleys, Spying on Harry! Snape
Takes Place: 6th summer
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys, Alcohol Use, Drug use, Profanity, Rape, Violence
Challenges: None
Series: Right in Front of Me Trilogy
Chapters: 37 Completed: Yes Word count: 124153 Read: 259340 Published: 13 Mar 2016 Updated: 10 Sep 2016
Chapter 23 by ShabbyBeachNest
CHAPTER 23

Lily looked at the spot Snape had disappeared from for a few long, silent moments, too shocked to say or do anything.

"Mum, we're witches!" Jilly squealed, bouncing up and down next to him on the sofa. "Does that mean that we can do magic too, Harry? Like you and Severus?" Lily turned at her daughter's question and took another large gulp of the wine in her hand, then came to sit on the other side of Harry on the couch.

Harry was just as stunned as Lily by everything that had happened, but he dazedly answered the excited little girl. "Uh… Yeah, that's exactly what it means. Well…" he considered, glancing at Lily. He'd never heard of an adult not knowing that they were magical.

She seemed to know exactly what he was thinking. "There's got to be some sort of mistake. I mean I– I'd know if we could do things like... that." But she took anothernervous sip of her wine, looking over the rim of the glass at nothing.

"Well," Harry hesitated. "Not necessarily. I was raised by muggles, and I didn't know. And the professor doesn't usually make mistakes," he said with an encouraging smile. But Lily just looked at him with an uneasy expression on her face.

"Muggles?" she asked after a minute.

"Oh – people who aren't magical."

"And… You didn't know that you were…?"

"A wizard? I had no idea," Harry said. "Well, I knew that unexplainable stuff sometimes happened around me, but never in a million years did I consider that it could be magic. That stuff only happened in books and movies, not in real life."

"Yeah…" Lily murmured with a faraway expression on her face.

"Whathappened around you, Harry?" Jilly asked from his other side.

"Loads of stuff," he replied, thinking. "My aunt cut all my hair off once, the day before third grade started. I woke up the next day and it had all grown back," he said with a laugh. "She wasn't very happy about that. Oh, and I accidentally set a boa constrictor on my cousin once, but that was an accident."

"Wow," Jilly murmured with a huge grin on her face. She walked around to Lily, taking the wine glass out of her hand and setting it on the coffee table. Then she scooted onto her mother's lap and wrapped Lily's arms around herself. Lily smiled lightly down at her daughter, kissing the top of her head.

They were silent for long moments, and then Lily quietly asked, "What did he mean, 'safe behind the wards'? Safe from who?"

"Voldemort." Harry's insides tensed with worry for his father. "He's a dark wizard that is trying to take over our world. He… he killed my parents when I was a baby."

"Oh Harry, I'm so sorry."

He took a deep breath but continued, "It's alright. Now I have Severus. He… We…"

Lily reached out and took his hand, giving it a gentle squeeze. "I understand," she said with a smile. "His life wasn't the same while you were gone."

A warm feeling spread throughout Harry's insides, and he couldn't help smiling at the woman. My life wasn't the same, either… he thought before he said, "And now he has all of us."

"Yeah… It seems like he's been alone for a long time."

"I think he has," Harry muttered, not sure how much he should say as he didn't want to worry Lily. "Severus is… a spy… for our side – the good side. We call ourselves 'The Order of the Phoenix'. Voldemort has a group of followers too, the 'Death Eaters'. Severus… well… he joined the Death Eaters when he was really young." Lily's eyes went wide with surprise, her arms visibly tightening around Jilly. Harry rushed to explain, "He had a terrible childhood, and life wasn't easy for him – he was really angry all the time. He knows now that it was a horrible mistake." Lily stared at him a moment, then slowly nodded. "Anyway, he and my mom were… close… He turned spy for the Order to try and protect us, but Voldemort still murdered her and my dad. He tried to kill me too, but the curse didn't work and rebounded back on him. It's how I got this," and he pushed back his fringe to reveal his scar.

Her wide eyes took in the lightning bolt shape and she gasped in horror. "My God, Harry! You were just a baby! Thank God it didn't work!"

Harry nodded. "Voldemort disappeared for a long time. But two years ago…" He swallowed hard as he remembered Cedric and the graveyard. "Two years ago he came back."

"So Severus has been helping the Order to fight against him?"

"Yes," Harry replied simply. "I honestly don't know if the Order would be able to win this war without him…"

"Is that where he went? To talk to the Order?"

Harry hesitated, not wanting to worry her, but not wanting to lie to her either. If she was going to be a part of Severus' life, she deserved to know the danger he was in. If Harry was in her position, he'd want somebody to be honest with him.

"No, he's not with the Order. He… He's with Voldemort." Lily's eyes widened in fear, but to her credit, she did not fall apart or flinch away. "The tattoo on his forearm is Voldemort's mark – the Dark Mark. He brands his Death Eaters with it when they join, and he makes it burn to tell them when to come to his side. Severus is one of his highest-ranking Death Eaters, because Voldemort thinks he's spying for him, when he's actually spying for us."

"Oh…" was all that Lily could bring herself to say, and even Jilly, as young as she was, seemed to understand the inherent danger that his father was in.

After a moment she reached out from her mother's lap and took Harry's hand. "Don't worry," she said, "Severus is really smart. He'll come back soon."

Harry and Lily smiled at Jilly, but as their gazes met above the girl's head, Harry knew she was thinking the same as their smiles melted away.

Please God, let that be true…

.:HP::SS:HP::SS:.

Death Eater robes and mask securely in place, Snape entered Malfoy Manner and padded across the huge entrance hall to the darkly paneled entry at the far end. He opened the door without hesitation, and although the scene he found there was not as expected and gave him pause, it did not shock him.

The Dark Lord stood in front of the massive fireplace, a mask-less Bellatrix gazing worshipfully up at him as she knelt at his feet. The other Death Eaters were gathered around on either side, all currently turned and staring heavily back at Snape through their masks. Their eyes pierced him like many daggers, but he wore armor that none of them could see, and the feeling didn't trouble him in the least.

"Ah Severus, you're here," the Dark Lord murmured into the thick silence, the only other sound the cracking of the fire behind him. "Come… Join us."

Snape walked serenely toward the Dark Lord, not looking at anyone as he passed – not even at Bella as he kneeled calmly next to her at the Dark Lord's feet, though she did seem to be trying to catch his eye.

"Remove your mask, Severus," the Dark Lord murmured darkly, and he complied without hesitation. Snape set the mask beside him and turned his gaze unblinkingly up at the Dark Lord, feeling far calmer than he ever had in his presence. Strange that, he thought, since these could easily be my last moments here on Earth… But oddly even that notion didn't trouble him.

"Bellarix had some very interesting things to tell me about this afternoon, my friend," The Dark Lord murmured quietly, but Snape could feel the anger radiating off of him in waves.

"Oh?" He only showed the merest hint of interest, still refusing to look Bella in the eye, although he could tell that she was dying for him to do so.

"She tells me that she was able to bring down the wards surrounding the Muggle-Loving family's home, and was almost able to apprehend Harry Potter."

The sound of his son's name on the madman's tongue did not elicit the cold surge of fear that it once had. Instead, he simply continued to gaze steadily up at the Dark Lord.

"And just when she was about to capture the boy, who should appear to rescue him but… you? Tell me, Severus," he hissed dangerously, slowly removing his wand from inside his sleeve pocket. "Just whose side are you truly on in this war?"

Dumbledore was right, Snape thought while staring at the wand, realizing that he suddenly understood the headmaster and his capacity to stay completely composed and unruffled, even in the face of utmost danger.

Love truly does conquer all…

His gaze flicked serenely up to the snakelike face, and he could feel the Dark Lord trying violently to penetrate his mind, like a rapist in the midst of an attack. He easily threw up false memories of the day that would prove his innocence in the Dark Lord's mind, and could feel him ripping through them like a ravaging wolf. But in a deeper, more protected part of Snape's mind, his love easily tucked the true thoughts and memories of his family – as well as all the new emotions they evoked – neatly, protectively away behind his Occlumency shields.

Having love in his life now made it easy – so very, very easy – for Snape to lie to the Dark Lord. Jillian's giggling face as they made pancakes together; Lily's sweet, accepting kiss when he admitted that he loved her; Harry staring dazedly up at him as he forgave him and called him 'Dad'...

I may die fighting against you one day, Snape thought to himself as he stared at the Dark Lord. It may even be you that kills me. But you shall never have these. You shall never pollute the best of me with your evil darkness.

Snape gazed calmly into the threatening eyesabove him, knowing that although the Dark Lord did not fully trust him in that moment, the false memories had helped to persuade him that perhaps the allegations against Snape had been could tell that his calm, cool demeanor in the face of the Dark Lord's anger was beginning to persuade him of that fact.

"I remain your loyal servant, My Lord, as I ever have been." His gaze never wavered, and the falsehood slipped easily from his tongue.

"LIAR!" Bellatrix screeched beside him, still on her knees but unable to keep quiet. "You are a coward that refuses to openly declare your allegiance! You fought against me when I could have seized Harry Potter!"

Although he was kneeling beside her, Snape looked only at the Dark Lord.

"Of course I fought," he said with such calmness that he could have easily been telling her the flavor of tea he preferred with his biscuits. "I arrived with Albus Dumbledore and Minerva McGonagall. What exactly do you think would have happened had I run to your side and joined the battle against them?"

"It doesn't matter, you should have—"

"Of course it matters, Bella," Snape sighed in invented irritation, finally turning to meet her gaze. "The information I provide is what gives us the edge in this war. Without my position so close to Dumbledore, we'd never truly know what he was planning. Do not underestimate the man, Bellatrix. He is a great and powerful wizard, and an incredibly dangerous foe. To give away my position for something as insignificant as killing Harry Potter would be a very rash, foolish, and incredibly stupid move – especially when we know that the boy will die regardless. But I wouldn't expect you to understand any of that, Bella," he dismissed as though he were speaking to an idiot. Turning his tranquil gaze to rest once again upon the Dark Lord he finished, "You, Bellatrix, are thinking only so far as how to kill Harry Potter. I, on the other hand, am here to assist the Dark Lord in winning the war against Dumbledore."

The woman was at a loss for words for a moment, sputtering her indignation. Then she shrieked, "How dare you-!" But the Dark Lord cut her off before she could even get started.

"Hush Bella," he reproached quietly. Even out of the corner if his eye Snape could see Bella's horrified gaze as she stared at the Dark Lord, looking as shocked and betrayed as if he had struck her. Snape could feel the Dark Lord's conviction of his guilt beginning to slip away, and he pressed his advantage.

"And if I may say so, My Lord," he said in a slightly admonishing tone as he turned to stare at Bellatrix once more. "Bella obviously did not tell you of her plans. She was alone, and her actions were very rash and poorly thought out… She almost got herself caught today, and as one of your closest servants, I fear the information she could have provided to the Order – even unwittingly."

"WHAT?!" Cried Bella, her enraged gaze flicking from Snape up to the Dark Lord. "M-My Lord! I only wanted to surprise you with the gift of Harry Potter's life! I – I would never tell them anything! I spent fifteen years in Azkaban—!"

"Yes, indeed you did…" The Dark Lord cut her off, petting the top of her head as if she were some twisted, ugly pet. Bella's face softened into a simpering look as she gazed worshipfully up at him, reveling in his touch, but the Dark Lord continued, "And if you were thrown into Azkaban again, what good would you be to me?" Bella flinched as her face dropped, strongly reminding Snape of the family dog that had been brutally kicked after nipping at the baby.

"No," the Dark Lord murmured thoughtfully, continuing once again to pet her hair, and Snape knew in that moment that he had successfully convinced the Dark Lord of his innocence. "Severus is right. You should have come to me with your plans. You needlessly endangered my rise to power – you knew we were gathering information on the boy. But your misguided attempt to capture him could have ruined everything. I'm afraid you will have to be punished."

And with that he brutally grasped the roots of her hair and tossed her away from him, Bellatrix crying out at the sudden pain.

"Take your assigned place," the Dark Lord said dismissively to Snape. "Your continued loyalty to me will not go unrewarded."

Snape bowed his head. "Yes, My Lord." He rose slowly and passed a sobbing Bellatrix, curled up on the floor in the fetal position and weeping into her hands.

"P-Please, My Lord," she sniveled as the Dark Lord slowly approached her. "I am your most loyal servant! I would n-never betray you!"

"Oh but Bella… You already have. Crucio Maxima!" Bellatrix's shrieks of pain ricocheted around the entire room as her body flailed and stiffened in agony. The Dark Lord ended the curse with a flick of his wand, but the echoes of Bellatrix's screams continued to bounce around the room for several seconds. He didn't let the woman rest for long.

"Well," The Dark Lord continued, as if putting on a grand show. "Even you cannot deny that you've been flaunting yourself since becoming my lover. So get to your feet, Bella – we're about to give them a show that they will not soon forget!"

The woman stumbled, trying to gain her footing, but collapsed in a heap on the floor.

"Can you not stand?" The Dark Lord crooned softly, as if speaking to a wounded animal. "No matter, my dear, no matter. Allow me to assist you." And with a wave of the wand in his hand, long manacles dropped from the ceiling, slithering and twisting in the air until they clasped around her wrists with a metallic clang. Pulling tight, they dragged Bella up, up, up until the ends of her toes just barely brushed against the cold floor.

"Turn and face your audience," The Dark Lord continued, and with a quick twist of his wand, the chains spun her around until she was facing the assembled Death Eaters. Her head hung limply between her shoulders, and Snape was unsure if the woman was even conscious…

"I have to admit Bella that as attractive as you are, you do seem to like to flaunt yourself to an incredible extent. So let's see what it is that you're so very proud of." With another slight flick of his wand, Bellatrix's dress fell from her body and puddled in a heap at her feet, leaving her completely naked for the gathered Death Eaters to devour with their eyes. To his extreme disgust, Snape even heard grunts of pleasure as a few of the Death Eaters around him visibly adjusted themselves.

"Beautiful..." The Dark Lord murmured. "But… I wonder how you would look if there were a few scars that marred that lovely skin?" Stepping close enough to block her naked form from the view of the Death Eaters, The Dark Lord used his wand to carve into the skin directly above her breasts. Bellatrix came suddenly to life, screaming and thrashing against the chains holding her.

"My Lord, STOP!" She cried out, but the clanking of the heavy chains as she struggled was her only response.

The Dark Lord finished with a flourish, and when he stepped away, the word "SCHEMER" was etched deeply into her skin, the gashes dripping blood between her breasts and down her naked flesh. The room was deathly silent, and the continuous drip, drip, drip of her blood against the hard floor could be heard by all, as could Bellatrix's small, pitiful whimpers.

"I'm sorry, My Lord," she moaned pathetically. "Forgive me…"

"Forgive you? Forgive you?! You, who could have easily revealed my most guarded secrets had you'd been caught during your foolish plan to capture Harry Potter? I think not, Bella!" And he raised his wand. "Avada—!"

"NOOOOO!"

Next to Snape, Narcissa Malfoy suddenly threw herself at her sister, covering Bellatrix's body with her own. Lucius reached for his wife, trying desperately to prevent her from interfering, but was now attempting to get back in line without drawing any additional attention to himself.

The Dark Lord paused, looking curiously at the small woman.

"No..? Why Narcissa, do you have something you wish to add before Bella's punishment is carried out?"

Narcissa threw herself at the Dark Lord's feet, weeping as she desperately plead for her sister's life.

"Please, My Lord… Spare her. She has been sufficiently punished for her mistakes. She will not betray you again. Please…"

The Dark Lord started down at the crying woman for a moment, then stooped to help her to her feet by grasping her hands. Narcissa's continued sniffles were easily heard in the thick silence.

"Oh, my girl… Do not cry. You have persuaded me. I shall spare your traitorous sister's life."

"Thank you! Thank you, My Lord!" Narcissa gasped.

But when the Dark Lord reached out and touched the ends of her white-blond hair, rubbing it suggestively between his fingers, she went very still.

"Of course," The Dark Lord murmured, "there will have to be certain concessions for my kindness. Nothing ever comes free in this wretched world…"

Snape felt Lucius stiffen beside him, and the man watched with baited breath as his wife's eyes slid slowly to her sister, then glanced briefly in her husband's direction before she lowered her head and nodded at the Dark Lord.

"It's settled then," the Dark Lord murmured, bringing the tips of her white-blond hair up to his lipless mouth and kissing the strands. With a slight wave of his wand, the chains disappeared and Bellatrix collapsed in a heap on the ground. Snape thought he heard her whimper her sister's name.

"Cissy… No…"

But the Dark Lord paid her as much attention as he would a cockroach scurrying in his path. Ignoring Bellatrix completely, he took Narcissa's hand and held it aloft like a queen as he pulled her toward his private chambers. And although she must have been terrified, Narcissa kept her shoulders rigid and straight as she trailed him.

Lucius lunged forward as if to follow them, but Snape held him back.

"Don't, Lucius. It will go easier for her if you do not make trouble."

"That is my wife, damn you!" The man spat, trying to tear himself away from Snape's grasp as he continued to stare at the door that Narcissa and the Dark Lord had just disappeared behind.

"Think of your son, Lucius!" Snape urged. "Draco needs a father! What would happen to him and Narcissa if you were killed?" The man's face paled behind the black eye patch, and although his movements stilled, Lucius' body continued to quiver as a battle raged within himself. Finally, self-preservation seemed to win out and with a last heated look, he stormed away in the opposite direction.

Feeling eyes on him as the rest of the Death Eaters emptied from the hall, Snape turned to find Bellatrix naked and bleeding, still too weak to rise but glaring at him from the floor. Pure and hostile hatred emanated from her small frame. Sneering down at her, Snape left the hall. But he couldn't help the chill that went slithering down his spine as he turned his back on her.

The End.


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=3309