Right in Front of Me (Book 1) by ShabbyBeachNest
Summary: Dark secrets and an even darker past threaten to destroy the boy on whom the entire wizarding world has pinned their hopes. Can Severus Snape find it within him to heal and accept the broken child of his nemesis, and in the process, ultimately heal and accept himself? (AU-ish, but follows canon. Severitus - mentor/adoption - WARNING: mentions sexual abuse, but no details)
Categories: Healer Snape, Reverse Roles > Healer Harry, Parental Snape > Guardian Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Dumbledore, Original Character
Snape Flavour: Snape is Angry, Snape Comforts, Snape is Desperate, Snape is Kind
Genres: Angst, Drama
Media Type: None
Tags: Injured!Harry, Injured!Snape, Snape-meets-Dursleys, Spying on Harry! Snape
Takes Place: 6th summer
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys, Alcohol Use, Drug use, Profanity, Rape, Violence
Challenges: None
Series: Right in Front of Me Trilogy
Chapters: 37 Completed: Yes Word count: 124153 Read: 259326 Published: 13 Mar 2016 Updated: 10 Sep 2016
Chapter 26 by ShabbyBeachNest
Author's Notes:

**Author's Note: I apologize for the length of time it took to publish this chapter. I was trying to be a canon as possible with both Diagon Alley as well as the included stores, and ended up doing LOTS of research (including cracking open several of the HP books and rereading a few chapters). You may even notice that some of the descriptions and dialogue sound familiar, and that is because I tried to echo some of the same verbiage that JK used in order to keep my story very canon-esque. Although it took a lot longer than anticipated, this chapter was incredibly fun to write. Hopefully it gives the feeling of something that could have actually happened in JK's world. Enjoy, my lovely readers!

CHAPTER 26

"So how do you like the store, Harry?" Fred asked as he bent down next to his brother and started shoving clothes and things into the duffel bag once again.

"It's brilliant!" Harry exclaimed appreciatively. "We all need more laughter in our lives right now, with what's been happening with Voldemort. I'll definitely be a regular customer when I'm not at Hogwarts–"

"Don't think that we haven't forgotten that you gave us our start, Harry. You don't pay here, alright?" George said seriously.

"Yes, take anything you want," Fred continued. "We'll make sure our employees know that. In fact…" he said, taking an arm load of subdued-looking products from the end of the bed and handing them to Harry.

"But… I can't take these!" Harry exclaimed.

"Of course you can," Fred said, waiving away his concern.

"Just remember to tell people where you got them, if they ask." George stated.

"Wow… Well… Thanks. What is all this stuff, anyway?" Harry asked. Angelina smiled and handed him a large, handled paper bag marked with the Weasley's Wizard Wheezes logo, and Harry promptly filled it nearly to the top with the things he'd been given.

"Funny how it happened really," explained George. "Even with You-Know-Who on the rise, you would be amazed at how many people are woefully inadequate at Defense Against the Dark Arts – even the simplest of things like Shield Charms."

"So we thought Shield Hats would be a bit of a laugh, you know? Challenge your mate to jinx you while you're wearing it and laugh at his expression when it just bounces off."

"But the Ministry bought over five-hundred for their staff, and we're still getting huge orders!"

"So we decided to expand into Shield Cloaks, Shield Gloves… They won't help much against the Unforgivables, but for minor or moderate curses, they'll do the trick."

"And then we decided that we'd expand into the whole range of Defense Against the Dark Arts products because they were such hot sellers. We can barely keep them on the shelves!"

"Check this out," said Fred, picking up one of the small drawstring bags he'd given Harry. "Peruvian Darkness Powder. Just a pinch will instantly turn an entire area dark so that you can make a hasty getaway if you run into some nefarious characters."

"And these are cool, look!" Said George, tossing another small box to his twin so that Fred could show Harry. "Decoy Detonators. You just drop one on the sly and it will run off and make a bunch of noise out of sight. It's quite the little diversion if you ever need one."

"Impressive!" Harry murmured, quite in awe of his friends. "No wonder Umbridge hated you two so much."

Angelina and the twins laughed. "She's in here all the time, you know," Angelina stated. "Always trying to catch them doing something illegal, threatening to take away their selling permits and things."

"What?" Harry gasped. "She's not in Azkaban?"

"No… She was able to slip back into the Ministry after Fudge's resignation, and Scrimgeour has, and I quote, 'Bigger problems to deal with.'"

Harry's eyes narrowed and his fists clenched at his sides. "Figures," he spat. "It might be a new administration, but it's still the same old crooked and corrupt tosh."

"All's not lost though, Harry!" George declared with a snicker. "Last time she was here snooping around, she wanted to 'test' the Wrinkle Repair in our Matured WonderWitch line–"

"To 'make sure' it was all-natural and non-toxic, like the package says –" interrupted Fred.

"But what she didn't realize was that we replaced her sample with a bit of dragon dung from Charlie's herd in Romania–"

"Which is still all-natural and non-toxic, if you think about it."

Harry burst out laughing at that, and George continued through his own snorts of laughter, "She rubbed it in quite thoroughly, and walked around muttering that it actually did seem to soften her skin."

"She liked it so much that we sent her an entire box of the stuff," Fred said with tears of mirth streaming down his face.

"So whether or not she ever figures it out, it's still a win-win either way," George finished hysterically. Harry's anger was forgotten for the moment, and he had a hard time catching his breath because he was laughing so hard.

"Merlin's beard, that's the best prank you've ever pulled!" He gasped. "Even Snape will appreciate that one!"

"Good ol' Professor Snape..." Muttered George, wiping away the tears in his eyes with a sigh. "You really seem to have changed him, Harry. I haven't seen so much warm and fuzzy since Mum and Ginny oozed it all over us when the first litter of Pygmy Puffs was born."

"The professor will be there tonight, right?" Fred asked casually with a quick glance at his brother.

"Oh yeah, he's got… uh… things he wants to talk to everyone about."

"Perfect! We're definitely looking forward to it," said Fred with a sly half smile on his face that Harry couldn't help but be suspicious of. Fred quickly changed the subject before he could ask any more questions.

After saying his goodbyes and promising to be at the castle later, Harry was heading back down the stairs, laden with his bag full of Defense Against the Dark Arts merchandise. It took him a few moments to find his family in the teeming crowd – no longer in the WonderWitch section, thankfully. Instead they were crowded around a large cage, the inside of which was crawling with little balls of fur that were currently rolling around, squeaking, and purring at the edge of the cage because of the many different fingers stuck through the bars, scratching them behind the ears. A large sign hanging above announced them to be the aforementioned Pygmy Puffs.

Harry pushed himself through the crowd. As he drew nearer he saw that Jillian and Lily were both at the bars of the cage, playing with the fluffy little creatures. His father, who was the only male in the vicinity of the Pygmy Puff cage and was surrounded by a sea of estrogen, was tolerating all the squeals of delight from the females around him – but only just. He looked to be clenching his jaw hard enough to break more than a few teeth, and Harry saw his father roll his eyes more than once at the females around him.

As he got closer, Harry heard Jillian exclaim to Snape as she scratched a purring purple puff, "They're so cute – like tiny kittens rolled in cotton candy!"

Snape sighed as rolled his eyes once again, then pinched the bridge of his nose before sighing as he responded, "They are fairly cuddly, yes."

Harry couldn't have asked for a more perfect setup. Time for some revenge.

"Oh here you are!" He announced loudly as he sidled up next to his father. Every face gathered around the cage turned to look at him. "Those Pygmy Puffs are ad-OR-able. You know Dad, they'd go perfect with your fluffy pink slippers at home. You should get one!" Harry tried to plaster an innocent-looking smile on his lips as giggles erupted all around them. But the look of absolute horror on his father's face did him in, and he burst out laughing.

"Let's go," Snape quickly instructed in an irritated tone, and he turned and stalked darkly away. Laughing as he followed his family, Harry noticed that the group of girls from the WonderWitch display were gathered around the Pygmy Puff cage, all keenly watching his father as he walked away. But then Lily nudged him with her elbow, winking and giving him a thumbs up as she laughed, and he paid the girls no more attention as he left the store with his family.

Lily, Jillian, and Harry regrouped with Snape, who was skulking on the outside of the store waiting for them. "If I never have to set foot in that infernal place again, I can die a happy man," his father grumbled as they approached him. Snape had loved it about as much as Harry thought he would.

Even with everything that has happened, some things never change. The thought was strangely comforting in its predictability.

His father mock-glared down at Harry as the family continued to stroll down the Alley. "And don't think that you can get away with such cheek without repercussions, young man."

"Funny, it kind of feels like I just got away with it."

"Yes, well… I'll get my revenge," His father groused quietly. Harry just laughed. "So how is Mrs. Weasley?"

"She's good, thank Merlin," Harry answered. "I guess she spent the night at St. Mungo's – they had to give her some blood replenishing potions and wanted to keep an eye on her. But they are releasing her later today. Everyone is at Hogwarts because Dumbledore doesn't trust the wards back at the Burrow." Harry glanced up at Snape. "You've never had any problems with your wards, right? Do you think you could–?"

"Of course, Harry," Snape muttered seriously, all traces of irritation suddenly gone. "Your friends could have died fighting next to you. Of course I'll speak to Dumbledore."

Harry let out a breath he hadn't realized he'd been holding. "Thanks, Dad. It means a lot after everything they've done for me over the years. I'd hate for them to be homeless on my account… Oh, and they've invited us to dinner at the castle tonight." He glanced over at Lily and Jillian, who had wandered over to the window of the Magical Menagerie. "All of us."

His father seemed to stiffen ever so slightly, and for some reason the vision of the young, bullied teenage Snape that he'd seen in the Pensieve flashed through his mind. Harry stopped his dad with a hand on his arm and looked earnestly up at him.

"It doesn't matter what everyone else thinks. You have us now – all of us. And I know Lily and Jillian would agree with me when I say that we are incrediblylucky to have YOU." His father seemed strangely uncertain as he looked down at him, and Harry murmured, "I couldn't have chosen a better dad… Even if I was given the option, I wouldn't change anything." As Harry's words sunk in, Snape's countenance seemed to get lighter. Even though he looked slightly uncomfortable at the unexpected direction the conversation had taken, Harry was happy to see a small, considering smile appear on his father's lips.

Not needing an answer and not wanting to further embarrass Snape, Harry turned and looked toward Lily and Jillian. He laughed when they started walking towards the girls and he heard his father mutter, "Oh no… Not another round of fuzzy little animals. My stomach just can't handle anymore cuteness." But when they reached the large front window, his father grudgingly allowed Jilly to pull him into the cramped, noisy little store and tolerated (albeit somewhat impatiently) her excitement as she pointed out all of the magical animals.

Looking immensely relieved as they left the raucous, smelly little creatures behind, Snape still had Jillian's hand in his own as he turned to Lily and offhandedly mentioned, "We've been invited to dinner at the school this evening."

"Really?!" Lily squealed, channeling her five-year-old daughter's excitement.

"Indeed," Snape continued. "The Weasleys will also be there."

Lily stopped in her tracks, suddenly looking nervous as she murmured, "Oh my gooodness… Wow… I…" She glanced back and forth between Snape and Harry. "Do you– I mean, they have no idea Jilly and I even exist. Do you think this is the right time, with everything that happened with Mrs. Weasley? I don't want to shock her too much when she's recovering –"

"Mrs. Weasley is fine Lily, I promise," His father stated firmly. "The wizarding community is able to heal themselves at a much faster rate than muggles. Remember my rib?"

Lily's eyes widened momentarily as she stared at him. "So that's how-!"But after a moment she looked off into the distance and went back to nibbling her bottom lip. "Do you… Do you think they'll… like us?"

It was Harry's turn to speak up. "Are you kidding? I was just some kid they met at King's Cross Station, and they practically adopted me. The Weasleys are some of the nicest people I've ever known – they're going to love you guys!"

She studied Harry for a moment, but then a small smile broke out across her face. Taking a deep breath to calm her nerves, she straightened her shoulders and tilted her chin in a confident manner. "Ok," she said, relaxing into a bigger smile, "Let's do it!"

Placing his arm around her, Snape tucked her into his side and gave her a quick kiss. "There is still a little time before dinner, and there's one last place I'd like to go before we leave…" he said mysteriously.

Although it took Harry a moment to realize where they were going as he'd only stepped foot in the shop once when he was eleven, a huge grin broke out upon his face the moment he understood.

"Where are we headed?" Lily asked, seeing the excitement appear on Harry's face.

"You'll see," he said evasively, and even Jilly perked up in curious interest.

A few minutes later they were standing outside the narrow and shabby shop. It definitely looked its age, which if the sign above was to be believed, had been one of the first wizarding shops to open in London. In peeling gold letters the sign announced, "Ollivanders: Makers of Fine Wands since 382 B.C. – Wands sold in this fine establishment since 87 A.D." A single wand lay upon a faded purple cushion in the dusty window display, and Jilly pressed her palms against the glass with a hushed, "Ooooo!"

"382 B.C.?" Lily gasped. "Wow… they must really know their stuff!"

"Oh, he does!" Harry announced. "Most consider Mr. Ollivander to be the world's best wandmaker. People even come from as far away as the Americas to purchase one of his wands."

She gave a small whistle of appreciation, then turned curiously to his father. "Are you buying another wand?"

"Yes," Snape replied simply. "Yours."

Lily's eyes went very wide, and Harry didn't miss the fact that she nervously grasped and interlaced his father's fingers with her own. However, she didn't hesitate when Harry opened the door for her. A tinkling bell rang somewhere in the depths of the store when the family stepped inside, and even Jillian seemed to sense the ageless, secretive magic that dwelt there. They all went very quiet and still, as if they were in an ancient, holy library and were trying to preserve its hallowed tranquility. The little shop had rows upon rows of bookshelves piled with thousands of thin, narrow boxes stacked neatly up to the ceiling.

"Good afternoon," said a low voice from the shadows, and the entire family jumped, even Snape. A man as ancient as his shop stood before them, his skin soft like a wrinkled bit of old parchment and his pale eyes like round moons reflecting back at them in the gloom of the shop. Just like the first time he'd seen him, Ollivander reminded Harry of a very wise old owl.

Snape stepped forward. "Hello, Mr. Ollivander. We are here for my–"

But Mr. Ollivander looked around Snape's borrowed body, his piercing gaze settling kindly on Lily. "Come forward, my dear. You don't need to hide." Snape immediately stepped back as Lily took a hesitant step forward. Lily's steps became more confident the closer she came to Mr. Ollivander and his knowing, silvery moon eyes shone with curiosity.

"Hmm," said Mr. Ollivander as he inspected her. "Yes… Yes, I see. Very interesting. Which is your wand-arm, Miss…?"

"You can call me Lily," she said softly with a smile. "And… Well, I'm right-handed, if that helps."

"Lily," he repeated with a gentle smile. "Hold out your right arm for me, please. A little higher. That's it." He began measuring from shoulder to finger, then wrist to elbow, shoulder to floor, knee to armpit, and around her head. "Mm-hmm," he said afterwards, as if answering an unspoken question that only he could hear. "Indeed. I see. How interesting… Very well." And with a quick flick of his wand, a few boxes flew from the shelves behind him and piled themselves neatly at his feet.

"Try this for me, Lily," he said, opening the first box and handing her a wand. "Alder and Dragon Heartstring. 10 ¾ inches, a bit unyielding, but perfect for the helpful, considerate types such as yourself. Just give it a wave, my dear."

Lily, looking as if she felt rather foolish, did as he asked. Boxes down at the end of the nearest aisle exploded off the shelves, the wands and wrappings from inside clattering to the floor. Mr. Ollivander immediately snatched it out of her hand. "Nope, definitely not!"

He tried again with the next box, explaining, "Ash and Phoenix Feather. 9 inches. A bit whippier than the last. This wand is especially good for the stubbornly courageous. Now, again if you please, my dear." This time when Lily gently waived the wand, Mr. Ollivander's hair began to grow – as did his nose hair. "Oh my… That won't do," Mr. Ollivander murmured calmly as his nose hair grew quickly past his lips. The hair upon his head was growing so long that Harry suspected that Dumbledore – if he could see – would have been quite jealous.

Harry and Jillian couldn't help themselves, and immediately burst out laughing as Snape hurried forward with a quickly murmured, "Finite," returning his hair to its proper length. Harry could tell that although he was attempting to keep a straight face, he was also trying very hard not to laugh.

"Well Lily, you are proving to be a difficult case. It's alright, not to worry," he quickly assured her when she made to profusely apologize. "I've always enjoyed a challenge."

The next wand – Cedar and Unicorn Hair, 12 ½ inches, somewhat springy and made specifically for those with strength of character and unusual loyalty – created a lovely little bird which sprang from the end of the wand and promptly landed on Mr. Ollivander's shoulder, singing merrily away.

"This could be the one, my dear!" Mr. Ollivander happily announced. But just then the bird gave a mighty, staining, heaving little grunting sound, pooped on his shoulder, and promptly exploded with an eruption of feathers. "Or not," Mr. Ollivander grumbled. Lily had to bite down hard on her bottom lip to keep from laughing as she wiped the poo away with her sleeve, giving Mr. Ollivander an apologetic smile. Poor Jilly looked horrified at her mother, as well as at Harry and Snape (who was laughing in earnest now), until they quickly explained that the bird was only a charm and wasn't real.

Mr. Ollivander then handed Lily another wand and said, "As unaccustomed as I am to having exploding birds on my shoulder, at least I know that we are headed in the right direction. Try this: Dogwood and Unicorn Hair, 11 ½ inches, moderately swooshy," he ended without further explanation, and he took a few steps back.

Lily took a moment to examine the Dogwood wand. "I like this one, Mr. Ollivander. It feels… different than the others. Like I could…" And with a gentle swish of the wand, an entire cluster of dainty, vibrant butterflies erupted from the end. They fluttered as a group around Mr. Ollivander, then soared across the room toward the rest of the family. Jilly giggled as a butterfly landed on the tip of her outstretched finger, but Snape didn't seem very enthusiastic when the rest landed on him. His father stood there silently as the butterflies on his head, shoulders, and chest, gently opened and closed their wings in contentment, and the others couldn't help but laugh at his glowering expression – even Mr. Ollivander.

Harry held his breath as he waited for something to go wrong, but long moments passed and nothing did. His father scowled at the butterfly from Jilly's finger as it fluttered up to land on the tip of his nose.

"I'd give all my gold in Gringotts for a camera right now," Harry murmured with a smirk, and Snape's face darkened even further.

"Oh very good, Lily!" Mr. Ollivander cried, clapping his hands. "I knew this would be the wand for you! Dogwood is one of my personal favorites, as it is quirky and mischievous – which if you don't mind me saying, my dear, you also seem to be." He continued with a warm smile, "These wands have very playful natures and always insist upon clever owners that can provide them with excitement and fun. Paired with Unicorn Hair, this wand will be especially good at healing work as well as producing dazzling enchantments – as you can obviously see."

"Healing work?" Lily murmured with a gasp.

"Indeed," Mr. Ollivander responded. "I shall expect delightful things from you and this wand, Lily. Very delightful things."

Mr. Ollivander banished the butterflies covering Snape with a flick of his wand ("Aww!" Jilly cried in disappointment), then slipped the Dogwood wand back into its cushioned box and into a small paper bag. When Snape had paid and everyone had thanked him, Mr. Ollivander waved them out of the store and called, "I will see you in a few years when it is Miss Jillian's turn for her own wand." Any sadness that the girl had in her eyes over the disappearance of the little butterflies immediately disappeared, and she waved once more through the front window at Mr. Ollivander.

Lily had a huge grin on her face as they walked away. "May I… carry it?" she asked Snape, who was holding the bag that the wandmaker had given to them.

"Of course," he said. And he immediately stopped and handed the rest of their purchase to Jilly with a smile. He then pulled the wand from its narrow box.

"Do the butterflies again, Mum!" Jillian cried as she hopped up and down beside her.

"Jilly-Bean, I'm not even sure how I–"

At that moment, a dazzlingly bright flash and thick puffs of purple smoke billowed around them, blinding the entire group for long seconds. It was as Harry was blinking away the spots from his vision that he heard a voice that was as welcome as nails against a chalkboard.

"Sir! Sir! Mr. Pitt, isn't it? Mr. Pitt, would you mind answering a few questions for The Daily Prophet?" Rita Skeeter called out in rapid fire succession. Her magenta robes perfectly matched her winged, jeweled spectacles, and her platinum blond hair was once again styled in elaborate, girlish ringlets. Jilly had dropped their bags and was trying to gather the purchases that had scattered across the ground. Harry dropped to his knees to help her, glaring up at the contemptible woman the entire time.

"Mr. Pitt!" The vile reporter shouted, stepping over Harry and Jillian to get close to his father. She had her crocodile handbag clutched in her crimson-taloned fingers, the acid green quill scribbled madly away on a roll of parchment in midair above her shoulder. "You are known as a muggle movie star from America, isn't that correct? How long have you been hiding the fact that you are secretly a wizard?"

"I – What?" His father snapped as he lifted Jilly off the ground and, with a quick wave of his wand, their purchases all jumped back inside the bags. Harry picked them up as he rose protectively in front of Lily and Jillian, gripping his wand within his pocket and wanting nothing more than to throw a few well-aimed hexes at the hated woman.

"Isn't it true that you have never made an appearance within the wizarding community in either country before today? What is it you're trying to hide?" Another flash blinded the family as cloying purple smoke unfurled into the air, and Harry noticed for the first time that there was an actual photographer dancing around the family taking pictures.

"Get out of my way," Snape growled as he pushed the man aside, ushering his family before him as he tried to hurry them in the opposite direction down the Alley. Harry noticed that there was a crowd gathering around trying to see what all the commotion was about, and he cringed as he saw both the group of teenage girls and the two witches from the Leaky Cauldron.

"It's most unusual for someone as famous as yourself to appear so suddenly within our world. Are you running away from something in your past, Mr. Pitt? Is your family aware of anything you might not want to become public knowle–"

His father whipped around with his wand drawn, pushing the tip threateningly into the underside of Rita's heavily-set jaw. "If you come anywhere near my family," his father murmured in his dangerously low, silky tone, "I will make sure that the only part of you that is ever found is one stubby, red-clawed finger – detached fromyour hand – so that the world will know that it's once and for all rid of your despicable presence and horrendous reporting."

Rita's eyes widened in fear, and Snape stared down at her for a long, uncomfortable moment before spinning away in the other direction, shepherding the family away.

As the reporter realized that her life was not in immediate danger, an oily smile appeared upon her cherry lips. "Take that down," she muttered up at the quill above her shoulder, then turned and snapped at the photographer, "Tell me you got pictures of that?!" The photographer nodded, and Rita called out to Snape in a smug, sycophantic tone, "Thank you for your time, Mr. Pitt." She then turned to the gathering crowd and asked if anyone who witnessed the altercation would like to give a statement for her story, and both the group of teenagers and the older witches hurried to her side.

"I believe that's our que for dinner," his father murmured darkly, and he ushered them all into a dark nook between stores. "Hold tight," he said, and then he spun on the spot and apparated them to the gates outside Hogwarts.

Arriving with a loud crack, Snape reached out and grabbed Harry's shoulder to keep him from falling flat onto his face. But as he did so they heard a loud gasp only a few feet away. Turning slowly toward the sound, Harry saw that the entire Weasley clan – along with Hermione, who was the one that had gasped – were standing there looking at the strangers in horror. It was clear that they had just apparated there a moment before after collecting Mrs. Weasley from St. Mungo's.

The End.


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=3309