Where You Belong by That_One_New_Pokemon
Summary: The twins weren’t kidding when they said there would be a magical test in order to be sorted. They just didn’t specify what it was. Harry, along with the other children of his year, must take a magical test of strength before the teachers would even consider letting them get sorted. The only problem is, Harry doesn’t know magic. The most he can do is spit out sparkles. With the teachers and the rest of the school watching, will Harry manage to pass his test, or will he be expelled before he is even able to step foot in the castle? A short, three-chapter story in response to JAWorley's Magical Test Sorting challenge.
Categories: Teacher Snape > Professor Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Hermione, Neville, Ron
Snape Flavour: Canon Snape
Genres: Action/Adventure
Media Type: None
Tags: None
Takes Place: 1st Year
Warnings: Profanity
Prompts: Magical Test Sorting
Challenges: Magical Test Sorting
Series: None
Chapters: 3 Completed: Yes Word count: 11406 Read: 11132 Published: 19 Jun 2016 Updated: 22 Oct 2016
Chapter 1 by That_One_New_Pokemon
Author's Notes:
This is the first of three chapters. I'll post the other two over the course of a week or so. Please review so I'll know what you think of this story and see if I should continue or not.

"Has everyone prepared their test for tonight?" Dumbledore asked, eyeing the four Heads of Houses over his half-moon spectacles. His hands were clasped tightly together, propping his chin up.

"Of course, Headmaster. Everything is prepared and ready," Minerva replied, swirling her glass of scotch. The ice clinked against the smooth surface, the sound nearly driving Severus mad.

"Oh I hate having to do this to those poor children," Flitwick sighed sadly, wiping his glasses on his robe.

"I know what you mean, Filius," Sprout said. "But it is for the best."

"They must be prepared," Severus growled from his spot in the darkened corner. "They need to be ready for whatever happens. If even one of them is not..." he didn't finish his sentence. He didn't have to.

"I understand where you're coming from, Severus," Minerva said sharply, and downed the rest of her liquor with one gulp. "But maybe we can make it a bit easier? They are only first years. They haven't had time to practise. They don't have a grasp on magic like the others. They've only read of theories. Too many children have been turned down because of these tests-"

"If they don't know and can't perform, then it's their fault," Severus snapped, interrupting her. "Their parents have been informed, they should have informed their children and taught them at least the basics. It's not our fault if they decided to keep it a secret from them. We will give their tests tonight like we have for the last ten years. If they have a problem with it, they can always get back on the train." His tone warranted no more arguments, and Minerva glared at him over her glasses.

"On a brighter note," Sprout said, eyeing the rivaling Head of Houses warily, "I hear Harry Potter will be in this batch of first years this year."

Severus crossed his arms and glared at his shoes. Potter. He knew something felt off about this year.

"I do hope he makes it. It would be a shame to turn him down," Flitwick squeaked. Minerva nodded.

"His parents were very talented. I wouldn't hold any worry for him. I'm sure he will be fine," Albus said, his eyes twinkling.

"Not unless he is in my group," Severus muttered darkly.

Minerva snapped her head in his direction. "Severus Snape! Don't you dare fail that boy just because of a grudge! You will give him a chance just like every student, and you better judge him fairly!"

Who says I ever do things fairly?, he thought, but he didn't voice it out loud.

"Besides, he may not even be in your group. It is decided randomly every year," she added haughtily.

"And if he is in my group?" he egged on.

Severus felt a sense of slight amusement as he watched Minerva's face go a slight shade of maroon.

"Promise me you won't use your grudge against James Potter to be biased. If you do, Severus, I swear to Merlin, I will use my powers a Deputy Headmistress to their full extent. Do you understand me?"

He gave a mocking sneer in her direction. "Cross my heart," he purred.

Although I wouldn't hold out much hope, Minerva dear...

+=====+

This was it. It was finally time.

Harry looked around him in awe. The brick wall that he had previously gone through was still spitting out multiple people, each one looking completely different than the one before them. The train whistle blew, steam flying high. The excited chatter from the people around him swirled around Harry, and a sense of giddiness enveloped him.

He spotted the red-headed family that had helped him and he slowly made his way over. The twins from earlier were bent in front of someone, looking like they were whispering to the smaller red-headed boy. As soon as one spotted Harry, he shot up and waved him over.

"Well, if it isn't Mr. Potter! The one and only Chosen One! Haven't seen you since a good five minutes ago," the twin said, clapping him on the back.

"Um, hi," he replied sheepishly. Hedwig gave a soft hoot from her cage.

The other twin moved away from his younger brother, who was looking slightly relieved to have the attention drawn away from him.

"What brings you over to the side of the Weasley's?" he asked, a mischievous grin slowly spreading.

"Um, I-uh-"

"Fred, George! Quit messing with that young boy and start putting your things away on the train!" yelled their mother. She gave a small wave at Harry, then pointed towards the train angrily, giving Fred and George a pointed look.

"Good luck," one of them whispered in his ear as they passed.

Good luck? What was that all about?

The youngest walked over to him, holding out his hand. "Hey there. I'm Ron Weasley. Are you really Harry Potter?" was the first thing he said.

Harry took his hand, mentally rolling his eyes, but the kid seemed nice, so he supposed it didn't matter. "Yeah," he replied, and pushed up his bangs to show his scar.

Ron's eyes widened. "Bloody hell!" he breathed. He looked like he had just met a celebrity, which in a sense Harry supposed he had.

Harry shrugged. "Don't get too awed," he said. "I'm just Harry."

Ron cracked a grin. "Well then, Just Harry, we have to get on the train and find a compartment before it leaves. Here, I'll help you with your things."

They managed to get settled on the train five minutes before departure. Ron slumped against the seat, looking exhausted. "That was the most work I've had to do in a while. And that includes de-gnoming the garden," he said.

Harry said nothing, since he had no idea what de-gnoming the garden meant. He really hoped it didn't mean tossing those little statues around. Instead, he just nodded like he knew what he was talking about.

Ron reached into his bag and pulled out a brown paper bag. "Want a sandwich?" he asked, holding out the offered food. "It's cornbeef."

Harry hungrily reached out and took it. He hadn't had anything to eat besides that piece of toast he nicked that morning. "Are you sure?" he asked before he took a bite.

"Yeah, I'm sure. Mum always forgets I hate cornbeef."

With that, Harry dug in. He was in the process of licking his fingers clean of mayonnaise when there was a knock at their compartment door.

A bushy-haired girl was standing in the doorway, looking slightly sheepish. "Is it okay if I sat here? All the other compartments were full."

Harry wasted no time in patting the seat beside him, but Ron looked more reserved.

"I dunno," he said. "What's the password?"

"Password?" the girl parroted.

"Just ignore him," Harry said, and the girl smiled and sat down next to him. "He's just being a brat. I'm Harry. What's your name?"

"Hermione," the girl replied. Ron looked a little taken aback at being called a brat, but he extended his hand out to Hermione.

"I'm Ron," he introduced.

Hermione barely shook his hand. "Pleasure."

When the trolley lady came, Harry spent nearly half his money on the sweets. Ron looked like he had just struck gold when Harry piled the candy next to him. Hermione looked a bit reluctant, but grabbed a licorice wand.

"I can't wait to see what Hogwarts looks like. I've read all about it, but I've always wanted to see the real thing. I wonder if the Great Hall will look as stunning as it's described," Hermione said dreamily. "I hear that's where we get sorted."

"You know," said Ron as he took a large bite out of the head of a chocolate frog, "my brothers, Fred and George said something about a test in order to get sorted." Chocolate chunks flew from his mouth, and Harry wiped them away from the seat, a look of disgust plastered on his features.

"Fred and George? Weren't they the twins that I saw on the platform?" Harry asked. He recalled the way that one of him had whispered

Ron swallowed, making a pained face as it went down rough. "Yeah."

"A test?" Hermione interrupted, looking slightly worried. "The book I read never said anything about a test!"

"Yeah, but I wouldn't worry too much about it, Hermione," Ron said. "Knowing those two, it's just a bunch of hooplah. They're known for saying stupid things and not meaning them. Watch, it'll be just like your little book says. We'll get there, and we'll...well...I don't know what exactly happens. But I can tell you it's not going to be a test."

I sure hope so, Harry thought. He looked down at his wand, which was clutched tightly in his hand. If there was a test, Harry had no idea what he would do. The Dursleys took away his books and wand as soon as he got home from shopping. Harry had barely enough  time to hide his Galleons, or else who knew what would have happened to that as well. Because of his stuff being locked away, Harry hadn't been able to have access to information like the rest of his peers. If there was a test, there would be no doubt that Harry would fail.

Hermione was flipping frantically through a giant book, the pages nearly ripping as she turned. Her tongue was held between her teeth as she read, her eyes barely having time to skim over the page before she flipped again.

"Here!" she announced. "It says students will be sorted by an old and very magical hat granted life by Godric Gryffindor. It will be placed on your head and it will determine based on your qualities which house you will belong in." She looked up at Ron. "So your brothers were lying. There's no test, unless you count the hat as a test, but I doubt it."

Harry relaxed against the seat. So he didn't have to worry.

"See, I told you," Ron piped up. "Just a bunch of hooplah."

"U-um," a nervous voice piped up. Harry swerved his head to see a boy with messy brown hair standing nervously at their door.

"Oh, what now?" Ron muttered.

"Have you seen my toad?" the boy asked. "He's small and green and he answers to Trevor. I-I lost him and I can't find him anywhere."

"Nope, haven't seen him," Ron answered rather rudely.

"Ron!" Hermione chastised. She turned back to the boy. "I'm sorry. I haven't seen him. But would you like me to help you find him?"

The boy looked shocked that someone would be willing to help him. "Oh! Um, if you wouldn't mind. Thank you so much!" he exclaimed.

Hermione smiled warmly. "It's almost time to get off, I think, so we better hurry. You two better get dressed," she said to Harry and Ron.

"Yeah, yeah, okay, Mum," Ron said, and Hermione rolled her eyes.

When the train came to a stop not long after, Harry had just put the finishing touches on his tie. He couldn't get it straight, so he just tucked it in his shirt and hoped for the best. Ron just left his undone, not even bothering to tie it.

Hagrid's loud, bellowing voice reached his ears as soon as he stepped out of the train. "Firs' years! Firs' years over here!"

A small group shuffled towards Hagrid, who was holding up a lamp up high. "Alrigh' All first years, gather roun'! Put all yer pets if ya have one over here next to me! They will be safely transported to the castle along with yer belongins!" yelled Hagrid in front of them.

The shuffling of a hundred or more feet could be heard as the first years did as they were told, the hoots and meows of their pets barely hearable as they were quickly jostled around.

Harry picked up Hedwig's cage and followed the small crowd of students towards Hagrid. He placed her next to a bright orange cat, who gave a small hiss at his owl.

Hedwig gave a small hoot as she was placed down, giving Harry wide eyes. He stuck his finger in her cage and stroked her white feathers.

"Don't worry, girl," Harry said soothingly. "It'll be fine. I'll see you later once I'm inside, alright? Just be good for Hagrid." She nipped his finger in understanding, and Harry quickly stood up and hurried back to the boats, where Ron and Hermione waited.

They picked a boat, and managed to step in without losing their balance. Ron nearly fell in, but Hermione caught his arm with her quick reflexes.

He gave her a grateful look. "Thanks," he said.

Hagrid must have spotted Harry's friendly face in the lake of boats, because he stomped his way over.

"How ya doin', ‘Arry?" he asked as he plopped rather ungracefully down in the rickety boat. Water sloshed inside, soaking Harry's robes and shoes.

"Fine, Hagrid," Harry semi-lied, giving a forced smile. Well, he could have been better without the water, but that wasn't his fault.

"Tha's good, tha's good," Hagrid commented. He patted the side of the boat, and it lurched forward an inch.

"Onward!" he bellowed.

Lights dangled in front of Harry and the other boats. The giant castle of Hogwarts loomed ahead, and Harry could see lights from the high windows as they shone down on them, their twinkling reflecting in the inky water before them.

"This is so cool," Ron whispered as he looked. His eyes shone nearly as bright as the lights before them.

"I know. I can't wait to see what it's like inside," Harry said.

For some reason that Harry couldn't quite figure out, Hagrid gave an odd sideways glance at the two when Harry said that. Before Harry could think of a reason why, they had to duck as they passed under an opening of a large rock, and then before he knew it, the castle came closer and closer and they were hitting ground.

Five figures greeted them as they stepped off the boat. The tallest one, an old man with a very long beard, who Harry instantly recognized as Albus Dumbledore from his chocolate frog card, stood smiling next to a very stern looking witch dressed in dark maroon. A short, chubby woman dressed in yellow stood beside a man dressed in black that looked like he would bite Harry's head off if he so much as spoke, and a man Harry mistook as a child at first glance stood beside the tall stern woman, who was looking at them over her spectacles. Dumbledore stepped forward, his hands clasped firmly together in front of him.

"Greetings, young ones! And welcome to Hogwarts!" he spread his arms wide in a welcoming gesture, a blinding smile present and a twinkle in his eye. The students shared a confused glance. What was this? Where were the other students? Was this their sorting?

"I have many things to say about this place, things you will hear once you all get sorted and settled into your house. But I am getting ahead of myself here. That is neither here or now." He clasped his hands together in a clap that echoed throughout the yards, silencing those who whispered behind their hands in confusion. Dumbledore's eyes lost their twinkle as he spoke again.

"Before you step forward into Hogwarts, you must all first do something very very important. Something that, if done correctly, will shape your future at this school. If not done correctly, well....it is not my place to say. Before I spoil anything and make you all even more confused than you already are, I will leave the explanation to one of my colleagues here. Before I get off of my soapbox--that is what the Muggles say, right, Minerva?" He turned behind him to the stern-looking woman, who nodded and shared and exasperated look with the dark man to her right.

"Great! Before I get off of my soapbox, I have one last thing to say to you all: Good luck, and I hope to see you in the Great Hall. Professor Snape, if you please."

He stepped back, motioning to the evil-looking man to take his place. Professor Snape stepped forward, eyeing them all with a sneer, his lip curling upwards as his dark beady eyes scanned them all one by one. His sneer seemed to deepen if anything as they landed on Harry.

"Before the Second Wizarding War, students would just come and go as they please. But that time has gone, and you all must be prepared for what may come, or else we would not have to do this," was how he started his speech. All eyes locked on him.

"This is a time of great importance. The war may have already passed, but that does not mean danger has gone down. We need students who are able to hold their own in case of an emergency, who are able to perform to their best abilities to step through and lead the wizarding world to a better time. Only they may pass through and join the ranks of the other students." His eyes narrowed and got harder.

"How many of you have read through your school books and understood at least some of the theories?" he asked

Harry was among the maybe five people who did not raise their hand. He gulped.

"Good. Most of you, then. It is now time to put those theories to practise. Before you step foot into Hogwarts, all of you will be tested. These tests are not for the faint of heart, and you will have to use your own wits and strength in order to get through. If you have read your books, then you will have very little problems. If not, well, good luck. There are about a hundred or so of you, so there will be four groups of twenty five. Each group will go with one of us. As your name is called out, go to your corresponding teacher. Once everyone is in their group, the testing will begin. Each group will have a different test, as to not warrant cheaters."

One brave soul risked raising a hand. Snape barely glanced in the boy's direction.

"What?" he barked.

"Um, what happens if we fail our test? Will we get to retake it?"

The three teachers behind Snape shared a pitying look. Snape's lips tightened to a small line.

"You will be expelled on the spot."

Shocked looks stared back at the man and silence rang loudly in their ears. The boy who asked the question gaped, his eyes wide.

"But-"

"Silence!" Snape growled, and the boy snapped his mouth shut with a whimper. He took out a roll of parchment from his sleeve. "I will begin the roll call. When I call your name, come stand next to me."

Harry shifted nervously as the names of those around him was called. The boy who lost his toad on the train--Neville, as Harry learned--was called, and he looked like he was going to pass out as he tripped towards the professor. Hermione's name was said, and she gave Harry and Ron a nervous look before stepping forward. She was number twenty-four. There was only one person left to be called for his group...

"Harry Potter!" Professor Snape snapped out.

Shakily, Harry walked to where the other students stood. He stood beside Hermione. Snape rolled up his parchment and turned towards the small group.

"Follow me."

Harry looked behind him to see the woman dressed in yellow beginning to roll out her parchment. He locked eyes with Ron, who mouthed "good luck" and stepped forward when his name was called.

Snape led them far away from the others, past a hut and a giant field that had huge hoops to the looming forest. Harry could hear things stomping inside. Howls and cries echoed out to them. Harry heard a deep growl to his right, and he shrank into Hermione. It certainly was a stark contrast to the happy-go-lucky air that was present at the boats and train. He suddenly wished he was back there.

Snape stood in front of them, nearly blending into the dark forest behind him.

"This year, it is my turn to use the forest for my test. You will have one hour, and if you can survive then you will have a chance of passing."

Harry's eyes widened to the size of saucers.

What?

The End.
End Notes:
I hope you liked it! Let me know what you think.


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=3330