Shadow and Moony's Child by Twonky
Summary: Severus and Remus raise Harry after his parents are killed.
Categories: Parental Snape > Biological Father Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Remus
Snape Flavour: Snape is Loving, Out of Character Snape, Overly-protective Snape
Genres: Family, General
Media Type: None
Tags: Child fic
Takes Place: 0 - Pre Hogwarts (before Harry is 11), 1st Year
Warnings: Physical Punishment Spanking, Neglect, Out of Character
Prompts: Moony & Sev's Child
Challenges: Moony & Sev's Child
Series: None
Chapters: 6 Completed: Yes Word count: 13424 Read: 23433 Published: 26 Apr 2017 Updated: 23 Aug 2017
Ages 8 to 10 by Twonky
Author's Notes:
This chapter has been slightly revised. I added Age 10 to it so the next chapter wouldn't be short. (I don't want to combine 10 and 11.)

Age 8:

Christmas

 

 

“Take this potion, Harry. You’ll be feeling better in no time.” As Harry swallowed the potion, he made an awful face, but he managed to keep it all down. “Good, Harry,” Madame Pomphrey praised, “now take this one. It will help you get some rest.”

 

“I won’t sleep through Christmas, will I?” Harry asked hoarsely.

 

“No, honey. We would never let you miss Christmas.” Harry swallowed the potion and dropped off to sleep as Severus stroked his brow with a cool cloth.

 

“I’ll make some tea,” Remus remarked. Then he gently kissed Harry’s forehead and strolled out of Harry’s room.

 

Severus sighed deeply as he looked into Poppy’s worried face. “Join us for tea?” he suggested as he tucked Harry in and headed into the living room. Poppy nodded and followed.

 

As Remus poured three cups of tea, the wolf managed a slight smile, that looked more like a grimace. “So, what’s the verdict, Poppy?” he asked quietly. Severus nodded in agreement. He wanted to know now. Although his face looked smooth and relaxed, he felt that his anxiety would boil over any second.

 

“He has pneumonia.”

 

The only reaction from Severus was a quick intake of breath which Poppy pretended not to notice. Remus asked skeptically, “Pneumonia?”

 

“Yes, I can’t imagine where he caught it, but he’ll feel better in a few days. However, he’ll have to take it easy for at least ten days.”

 

“He’s not going to like that,” Remus shook his head.

 

“Perhaps we should save the,” Severus quickly cast a muffliato charm, “broom for when he’s better.”

 

“That’s a good idea. Save the broom, perhaps until your birthday, Severus.”

 

Both men nodded. “I need to check on Aurora. She fell and sprained her ankle. Keep giving Harry the potions I’ve prescribed and keep him calm.”

 

Remus saw Poppy to the door as Severus sank into his favorite chair. When Remus returned Severus was sitting with his head in his hands. Remus sank down on the couch beside Sev. “It’s hard to see him so sick, isn’t it?” he commented gently.

 

Severus sat up. “It is.” The two men sat in silence for a few minutes. “You know, Remus, with the full moon falling on Christmas Eve and your furry little problem, perhaps we should celebrate Christmas a few days late. I’d hate you have both of you feeling lousy on Christmas.”

 

“How do you think Harry will feel about it?”

 

“I think it will be fine. He was worried about you any way.”

 

“He’s such a sweet kid.” They both flinched when they heard Harry coughing and Sev rushed to his son’s side.”

---

On Christmas Eve Harry was feeling better and was allowed to play quietly in front of the fire. It was almost dusk when Severus delivered cocoa to Harry and a steaming potion to Remus who made a face and raised his goblet. “Cheers,” he said. Harry and Severus raised their mugs. “Bottoms up,” Remus grimaced and gulped his potion quickly. “It’s time for me to retire for the night,” he said, standing slowly.

 

Harry jumped up, coughed a few times, and rushed over to hug Remus. “Good night, Uncle Mooney. Happy Christmas.”

 

Remus reached down and hugged the little boy. “Happy Christmas to you, too.” He nodded at Severus, “Good evening.”

 

Severus nodded back. “We’ll see you in the morning.” Although Remus had been through many safe transformations in the last couple of years, it still made Severus nervous. He had lycanthrophobia which was probably brought on by the incident with the marauders. Back then Remus had always gone to the shrieking shack when there was a full moon, but now he just went to bed. Severus was very careful to make the Wolfsbane potion correctly and monitor Lupin when it was administered.


Soon after Remus left, Severus put Harry to bed and began to relax on the couch. It was about midnight when he heard the growling. At least he thought it was growling and it was coming from Lupin’s apartment. Severus quickly transformed into Shadow, his cat form, as the door rattled.


After considerably more rattling, the door burst open and revealed a huge black wolf. It wasn’t Lupin’s were form. Severus had witnessed that. This wolf looked like a regular wolf, but it was very angry. The wolf was pacing and growling. Severus didn’t know if a bite from Lupin in this form would transmit lycanthropy, but he didn’t want to find out. He had to keep the wolf away from Harry and in their quarters so that nobody else would be in danger. Just then, Harry coughed. The wolf’s ears pricked up and the wolf loped to Harry’s door. Severus jumped on his back and dug his claws in, but the wolf just ignored him. The wolf jumped against Harry’s door and it flew open. Severus transformed back and found himself sitting astride the wolf. He reached for his wand to stun the wolf as it strolled out from under him and into Harry’s room. Harry, who was having trouble sleeping because of his cough and the door practically breaking down reached out his hand. “Hey, Mooney,” he sang. Then he turned to Severus, “Don’t hurt him Dad.” Severus stared in disbelief as the wolf sniffed Harry’s hand the then lay on the floor next to the boy’s bed as if he was on guard. “Can Shadow sleep with me, too?”


“Hmmf,” Snape replied. “Yes, I guess he can.” Severus transformed back into Shadow and curled up under Harry’s chin. As he went to sleep he began planning adjustments to the wolfsbane potion.

 

----- 

 

Age 9:

Christmas

 


It was December 21, the night of the winter solstice, and Harry’s family was enjoying hot cocoa in front of the fireplace when Severus made his announcement, “Draco will be joining us for Christmas this year.”

 

“What? No, that’s not fair,” Harry blustered.

 

“Harry,” Remus stated firmly.

 

Harry whined, “But why?”

 

“His parents are traveling for the holidays and cannot take him along. I’m sure that he is just as disappointed as you are,” explained Severus.

 

“Couldn’t he stay somewhere else?” Harry asked plaintively.

 

“He’s staying with us and you will make him feel welcome,” Severus stated sternly.

 

“Fine!”

 

“Watch your tone, Harry,” Remus chided.


---

Draco arrived the next evening in a terrible mood. Harry tried to be nice, “You want to go up to the Great Hall and see the trees. They’re awesome.”

 

“Leave me alone.”

 

“Okay, maybe tomorrow,” agreed Harry. Draco stormed into Harry’s room and threw himself on Harry’s extra bed. When Harry started to follow, Remus suggested that he give Draco some space. Harry nodded and settled on the couch with a book.

 

After a few minutes Severus went in to check on Draco. Even from behind he could see that Draco was struggling not to cry, so he sat on the side of the bed and gently rubbed Draco’s back. In a few minutes, Draco sat up and leaned against his Godfather who placed an arm around his shoulders. “I’m sorry that you can’t be with your parents this Christmas. I know you miss them.”


Draco nodded and added, “I bet Harry’s mad that I’m here.”


“He was, but he got over it.”


Draco stood up and opened his trunk. Severus rolled his eyes thinking, “Only my godson would need a whole trunk for five days.” Meanwhile Draco pulled out his robes and hung them next to Harry’s. Then he pulled out a pile of gifts, “Should I put these under the tree, Uncle Sev?”


“I’ll take care of it.” Severus motioned with his wand and the gifts flew out the door and down the hall, presumably to settle under the tree.


Draco pulled out his shower kit and placed it on the floor next to his bed. He was trying to decide where to put his pants when he noticed the black box in the bottom of the trunk, “Oh, Father told me to give this to you. He says that you are to open it privately and that you’ll know what to do with it.”


“Thank you, Draco. Do you think you feel up to a visit to the Great Hall with Harry?” Draco nodded and strolled back to the living room. Severus waved his wand over the box. It contained very dark magic. Would Lucius have sent him something harmful? Just then he noticed the tag and read it.


“I think you’ve been looking for this. I found it in Bella’s vault. Be careful. Yours, Lucius.” Immediately Severus got up and hurried to his safe where he added a fifth horcrux to his collection. He would destroy it tonight after the boys were in bed.


---

It turned out that Draco was a lot of fun to have around for Christmas. The two boys had enjoyed opening crackers together, dumping their Christmas stockings to compare how St. Nicholas had treated them (the same), pelting each other with snowballs, and just creating mayhem in general.


When Draco flooed home five days later, Harry looked at his Dad and Uncle Remus. “That was fun, we should have him back next year.” The two men eyed each other and then attacked Harry, tickling him mercilessly while laughing at how just a few days could change one’s perspective.

 

 

Age 10:

Christmas 

 


Harry’s Dad and Uncle Remus had just said good-night to Harry and settled into the living room for tea, when something occurred to Harry. He jumped out of bed and ran into the living room. “Dad, Uncle Remus!”

 

“What is it, child?”

             

“I just thought of something.” Both men looked at Harry expectantly. “Will we still have Christmas together next year?”

 

“Why wouldn’t we?” asked Severus.

 

“Well, when I’m a student will I be allowed to stay with you?”

 

“Certainly,” his Dad nodded.

 

“Especially on holidays,” confirmed Uncle Remus.

 

“Good, but things will be different, won’t they?”


“Well, yes. You’ll be a student and your Uncle Remus will be teaching.”

 

“So, we’ll have a lot less time together?” Severus and Remus both nodded.

 

“Do I have to go to Hogwarts?” Harry whined.

 

“Oh, Harry,” answered his Dad, “this isn’t the time to discuss this. It’s Christmas Eve. Let’s just enjoy today and tomorrow and then consider the repercussions of being a first year.”

 

“Okay,” answered Harry solemnly.

 

“C’mon, I’ll tuck you in again.” Severus got up and placed his hand on the back of Harry’s neck, leading him to his room.


At Christmas dinner in the Great Hall, Professor Dumbledore smiled benevolently at the trio. At the beginning he had been against Harry staying with Severus, but he had to admit that Harry had grown into a fine young lad. “Harry, which house do you think you’ll be in next year?”


Severus squeezed his eyes shut. This was a conversation he detested. Remus slightly shook his head at Dumbledore, who studiously ignored him. “I don’t know, sir. I think I’d be happy in any house.”


“Ah, that’s good to hear young man, but we need to consider your future. Perhaps Gryffindor would be best for you.” Professor McGonagall smiled, but Professors Flitwick and Sprout both glared at the headmaster.


“What future? What do you mean?” asked Harry.


As Remus laid a hand on Harry’s shoulder to calm him, Albus began to answer, “Why when Voldemort…” but he was interrupted by Severus who had jumped up from his chair.


“That is NOT a discussion for Christmas Day, Headmaster.”


“Well, we have to discuss it at some point,” Albus answered quietly. Minerva cleared her throat.


Even though Remus was gently massaging his shoulder, Harry could feel the tension in the air.  He could practically taste it. The dishes on the table started to rattle. Severus sat and placed his hand on Harry’s other shoulder.  The dishes began to stop rattling as Harry began to pull in his accidental magic. “You really shouldn’t get the boy so excited,” commented Albus. All the leftover mashed potatoes flew at Dumbledore. Minerva tried to hold back her laughter, but Sprout smiled broadly and Flitwick laughed outright.


“Albus, the snowmen are to stay outside. You know that,” Minerva commented when she had controlled her desire to smirk. Albus smiled and vanished the potatoes.


“Are you okay?” Remus asked.


“Sure. The potatoes had already cooled. No harm done,” Albus affirmed. Severus gave Harry’s shoulder one final squeeze as everyone dug into dessert.


That evening after Harry was in bed, Severus and Remus had their usual tea. Severus brought up the incident. “I will not have Albus forcing Harry into some sort of destiny.”


Remus nodded thoughtfully. “Most children can’t control their accidental magic like that, but Harry was aiming for Dumbledore, wasn’t he?”


Just then there was a knock on the door. Severus answered as he waved his wand to open the door. “I’m not so sure that was accidental. Harry has showed signs of being powerful for at least 9 years.” Remus nodded as Albus joined them.


“I agree. Your young man is already quite powerful. I’m lucky he has a sense of humor.” Albus’s eyes twinkled as recalled the incident. “I apologize for my earlier behavior. Harry will do well in any house and I know that he’ll be prepared to meet his destiny.”


Severus sneered, “I accept your apology, but I disagree that he has the destiny you imagine.” Remus nodded.


As was his way, Albus ignored Severus’ comment and said, “Okay, my boys. I will take my leave now.” He turned and walked to the door. Just as he placed his hand on the knob, he turned, “Remus, I have reason to believe that the Black’s house elf knows where Salazar’s locket is.” With that he walked out the door leaving Remus with his mouth hanging open while Severus scowled.

 

 

The End.


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=3395