Shadow and Moony's Child by Twonky
Summary: Severus and Remus raise Harry after his parents are killed.
Categories: Parental Snape > Biological Father Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Remus
Snape Flavour: Snape is Loving, Out of Character Snape, Overly-protective Snape
Genres: Family, General
Media Type: None
Tags: Child fic
Takes Place: 0 - Pre Hogwarts (before Harry is 11), 1st Year
Warnings: Physical Punishment Spanking, Neglect, Out of Character
Prompts: Moony & Sev's Child
Challenges: Moony & Sev's Child
Series: None
Chapters: 6 Completed: Yes Word count: 13424 Read: 23421 Published: 26 Apr 2017 Updated: 23 Aug 2017
Story Notes:
This is more of a series of vignettes than a single story, so some chapters may seem short. Also, I won't be attempting dialect. Of course I don't own Harry Potter, I'm just playing around in JK Rowling's creation. Feel free to tell me if I goofed.

1. Age 1 by Twonky

2. Ages 2-4 by Twonky

3. Age 5 by Twonky

4. Ages 6-7 by Twonky

5. Ages 8 to 10 by Twonky

6. Age 11 by Twonky

Age 1 by Twonky

Halloween

 

Severus Snape was distraught. Lily, the only person he had ever truly loved, was dead.  She had been killed by Voldemort and it was his own fault. As he sat on the floor in the nursery of her Godric Hollow home, he cradled her lifeless body and reviewed his regrets. If only he hadn’t called her a mudblood, if only he had apologized sooner, if only he hadn’t allowed Lucius to persuade him to become a death eater, if only he hadn’t become a spy. If only, if only. None of it mattered now. Lily was gone. That’s when he realized that there was somebody else in the room.  Severus was sure that he was being watched. He slowly turned his head to find Lily’s baby staring at him. Severus had heard that the boy looked just like James Potter, and it was true. But those eyes were Lily’s. What was the child’s name? It was something common. As Severus pondered the child’s name, Harry, for that was his name, reached between the bars of his cot and said plaintively, “Mommy?”


As Severus got to his feet, planning to remove the boy from his cot and comfort him, he heard the unmistakable sound of Sirius’ motorbike. Severus froze. He couldn’t stand Sirius and didn’t want to see him, especially now. It seemed likely that Sirius, as the Potter’s secret keeper, had betrayed Lily. He’d betrayed James and Harry, too, but Severus wasn’t as concerned about them. Being indecisive, Severus just stood there until he heard a voice, “Anybody here?” It was Hagrid. That was okay, Severus had always liked Hagrid. Sure the guy was careless and had a strange love for dangerous beasts, but Hagrid was all heart and always meant well.


“In here,” replied Severus.

 

 

Hagrid pushed some rubble away and joined Severus in the nursery. Upon seeing Lily, he knelt beside her and gently touched her face.  “Oh, Lily.” Then Hagrid turned his head. “Dumbledore sent me to get Harry. I borrowed Sirius’s motorbike since I’m not…well you know.”


At that Severus picked up the still whimpering boy. “Where are you taking him?”


“The headmaster asked me to meet him at Harry’s aunt’s house.”


Severus was shocked. “You don’t mean Lily’s sister, do you?”


Hagrid nodded, “I think so. James was an only child. Wasn’t he?”


“I’m coming with you then. Petunia won’t be a fit guardian for him.”


“You can ride in the sidecar and hold Harry. I was worried about keeping him safe.”


One very hair raising ride later, Hagrid, Severus, and Harry arrived at Number 4, Privet Drive. Minerva and Albus were waiting for them. Severus, mumbling that this was exactly the sort of neighborhood that Petunia would live in, passed Harry to Minerva who immediately began cooing at the sweet baby. Sneering, Severus hissed at Dumbledore. “You don’t plan to leave him here, do you?”


“Well, of course I do. Lily gave her life for him. That will create protective wards as long as he stays with family.”


“What about his grandparents?”


“Voldemort killed the Potters, as you are well aware and the Evans’ died in a car accident.”


“Which Voldemort probably caused,” Severus added under his breath. “You can’t leave him here. There has to be somebody else.”


“There’s no other family. Petunia is all he has.”


“Well, he can’t stay here.”


“Why not?”


“Petunia hates magic.”


“Oh, but Harry is her nephew. I’m sure she’ll change her mind.”


“No, she won’t. Lily was her sister and she never treated her well. When we were kids, she told Lily that if she were to have a child who had magic she would beat it out of him.”


“That was a long time ago, Severus. I’m sure she’s changed,” Albus claimed as he reached in his pocket for a lemon drop.


Severus glanced over at Hagrid and Minerva. They were certainly enjoying Harry. “No, old man, she hasn’t changed. She wouldn’t even allow Lily to come to her wedding or to meet her baby. Lily sent a gift and Petunia sent it back. She wrote on the package that she didn’t want any freakiness to rub off on her little boy. It broke Lily’s heart.”


Minerva joined in the conversation, “Albus, I told you that these are the worst sort of muggles.”


“Do you have any other suggestions?”


Hagrid asked about Harry’s godparents.  Albus explained , “They are not Harry’s blood relatives. James and Lily named three godfathers, but I’m afraid none of them will be appropriate.” Albus counted on his fingers, “Sirius seems to have betrayed them, Lupin’s a werewolf, and Severus is a spy. None of them are suitable and we surely don’t want Harry living with just anybody. The death eaters are going to want to kill him to avenge Voldemort.”


At a loss, the three watched as Albus conjured a basket and began to place it on the doorstep. Just then Remus Lupin arrived, looking haggard as always. Breathing heavily he began to speak, “I was afraid  that you’d try to leave him here, Albus. You can’t.”


Albus patiently began to explain about the blood wards. “Harry does have another living blood relation,” Remus exclaimed. They all stared at Lupin, waiting for more information. “Well, you see, he didn’t smell quite right so I asked Lily. She told me that Harry was actually your baby,” he looked pointedly at Severus.  “She said that they had been pretty serious, but Severus broke it off because he didn’t want her to be in danger.  James had always been infatuated with her, so she let him think that Harry was his.”


Severus, who was usually calm, cool, and collected, had his mouth open. “He’s mine? You will not be leaving him here, headmaster.


“But he looks just like James. Doesn’t he?” questioned McGonagall. “That’s what everyone always says.”


“His hair is dark and it’s messy. I guess that was enough to convince people,” Remus commented.


“But look at that cute little button nose,” cooed Minerva.


That earned her one of Snape’s patented glares. “Honestly, have you ever seen a baby with a big nose?”


“It doesn’t matter anyway. He still needs to stay with his Aunt. She was Lily’s sister and Lily gave her life for Harry. Only her blood wards will work,” declared Albus.


“Are you saying that I can’t protect him?”


“The Order of the Phoenix still needs you. I’m sure that Voldemort isn’t gone for good and there are plenty of death eaters out there. Even if he is yours, he needs the blood protections provided through his mother’s bloodline, not his father’s. Lily gave her life for his. We’re going to leave him here for now.” He studied the frowns of his faculty members. “We’ll discuss it further back at the castle, but for now, he stays.”


Snape shook his head thinking about how Albus always got his way.

 

 

Christmas


A black cat suddenly appeared on Privet Drive under a bush. Even if you had been staring at just the spot where it appeared you would have just thought that your eyes were playing tricks on you. It sauntered out from under the bushes and ran down the road. It paused at each house and looked at the front door, almost as if it were reading the addresses, but of course, cats don’t read. When it reached 4 Privet Drive it walked up the sidewalk, paused on the front stoop, and then jumped onto the front window ledge where it stared into the house for several hours.


Severus, who had spent Christmas Eve with the Malfoys was appalled at the treatment his son was receiving. Draco, his godson, was certainly very spoiled, but it seemed that Harry’s cousin was even more so. He had received gift after gift while Harry had been left in a carrier all day. Dudley, Harry’s cousin, had crawled around playing with toys, gobbled chocolate, clapped, and giggled. It was very much like watching Draco, except that Draco didn’t eat nearly as much. Harry, on the other hand, just sat in the carrier which had been placed so that he could see the festivities if he turned his head, but he could also watch the black cat sitting on the window ledge. Severus had watched as his son had reached out his tiny arms to be held when the family was especially loud, but he had been completely ignored. Eventually the child had taken to staring at the black cat on the window ledge which was, of course, Severus himself.

          

When Severus left the window he jumped under a bush and immediately apparated to Hogwarts’ gate. There, he morphed into his human form, waved his wand at the gate and strode into the castle and right to the headmaster’s office. He didn’t even pause to knock. Headmaster Dumbledore was somewhat surprised to see his potion’s master who had entered with such force that the door had banged against the wall and then  slammed shut. Severus was now pacing back and forth in Dumbledore’s office. Albus noted that Severus had perfected his bat of the dungeons look.

           

“Severus, please sit down.” Severus glanced into the headmaster’s eyes and then sat uneasily on the edge of the most uncomfortable chair in the room. “Would you like a lemon drop?” Severus scoffed. “Then how may I help you?”

           

“You can allow me to rescue my child from Petunia Dursley.”

           

“What do you mean by rescue?”

           

Severus explained what he had observed and how different Harry was from Draco or Dudley.  “He needs to leave there now, before they damage him further,” he concluded.

           

“Now Severus, this was just one observation. Perhaps he was sick.”

           

“And if he were sick, do you think it would be proper to ignore him all day?”

           

“No, no, you’re right, but I beg you to observe one more time before you remove him. Those blood wards are very important.”

           

“They aren’t important if Tuney damages him. However, I will do as you wish. I will observe for a few hours tomorrow before I remove him.”

           

“I will trust your judgment, Severus, but I can’t impress upon you enough how important those bloodwards are.” Severus nodded and left.

           

The next morning, the black cat slipped inside 4 Privet Drive, unnoticed, when Petunia opened the door to grab the newspaper. It stared at a wall full of portraits of Harry’s round cousin, but none of Harry. For that matter, it could hear Dudley in the kitchen banging and asking for food, but it couldn’t hear Harry. The cat was slowly making its way to the kitchen to look for the boy when it heard some quiet sniffling. It sounded as if it was coming from a cupboard. The door was slightly ajar so the cat slipped inside.

           

Inside the cupboard was Harry. His diaper obviously hadn’t been changed for at least a day and he had bruises on his arms, as if he had been grabbed many times. The cat immediately changed into Severus and lifted the boy out of the carrier. Then he strolled into the kitchen to confront Petunia. “I’m going to need a clean nappy and some wipes.”

           

Petunia turned suddenly, saw Snape, and screamed, “You?! What are you doing here?”

           

“Rescuing my son,” he answered calmly, but he was seething underneath. “Where are the necessary supplies to clean him?” Snape paused, but Petunia just stood there. ”Nevermind, accio nappy, accio wipe.” Snape laid his son on the kitchen table and began to change him.

           

“Not there,” shrieked Petunia. Severus ignored her. Then he transfigured a kitchen towel into a romper. The tablecloth was transfigured into a blanket which Severus used to warmly wrap Harry.

           

“This is not the last you will hear from me. You will be punished for abusing Lily’s son…my son.”

           

With that, he walked out the door. Nothing that Albus could say would convince him to leave his child in those conditions. He would leave Hogwarts, if it became necessary.

---

           

It was New Year’s Eve when Severus received a floo call from Remus Lupin. “What do you want, Wolf?”

           

Remus answered gently. “I hear that you have taken Harry from the Dursley’s.”

           

“Obviously,” Severus answered silkily as he tickled a giggling baby.

           

“May I come through? I’d like to talk with you.”

           

“If you must.”

           

Remus came through. Harry stared at him as he brushed the soot from his shoulders. “Hey, Harry,” he cooed.


“What do you want, Wolf?”


“I’d like to help you with Harry.”


“And why would I let you do that?”


“He’s my godson.”


“He’s my son.”


“You can’t do it alone. You’ve got potions to make and classes to teach. I can be his nanny.”


Severus smirked at this thought. “And your little problem?”


“There’s always the shrieking shack.”


“Give me a few days to think about it.”

---

A week later, the size of the Snape quarters had doubled. There was a nursery for Harry, a playroom for Harry, and a suite with a kitchenette for their live-in nanny, Remus. At first Severus tried to keep Remus in his suite only speaking to him when they exchanged caretaking roles. Remus didn’t push it, but he  had something he wanted to discuss so a few days after he arrived he broached the subject.


“Severus,” he said softly after Harry had been tucked into bed.


“What do you want, Wolf?” Snape crossed his arms.


“I’ve given this a lot of thought and I think you should give up your spying.”


“Dumbledore would never allow that.”


“You’ve promised to protect, Harry, correct?”


“Yes, even before I knew that he was my son.”


“Can you protect him as a spy?”


“Possibly, but it would be very difficult.”


“Also, what would happen to Harry if you were killed?”


Severus felt a cold chill pass through his stomach. “Albus would give him back to the Dursleys.”


Remus nodded. “I’ve considered this and I think I know how to get it past Dumbledore.”


Severus stared at the man for a minute, then gestured with his hands saying, “Well, spit it out.”


“We’ll let it slip to the news that you were never loyal to Voldemort. Once everybody knows, Dumbledore can’t make you go back to spying.”


“Agreed,” answered Snape, but he was thinking of his Dark Mark and wishing he could be rid of it once and for all.

---

Two days later an article appeared in the Daily Prophet.


Severus Snape, Father of Boy Who Lived, and Spy for the Light?

Rita Skeeter

According to my trusted sources, Severus Snape, “former” Death Eater, is actually the father of the Boy Who Lived, Harry Potter. He and Lily Potter, nee Evans, were in love, supposedly. Now Little Harry is living with Snape at Hogwarts. Snape has claimed that he was actually a spy for the light. This has been confirmed by several members of the Order of the Phoenix, the secret organization that fought against He Who Must Not be Named.

It’s up to you to believe or not believe that this man, who simply reeks of evil, could have actually been on the same side as Professor Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore, Order of Merlin (first class), Headmaster of Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, Supreme Mugwump of the International Confederation of Wizards, and Chief Warlock of the Wizengamot, who refuses to make a statement.

The news of Severus being a spy had spread through the wizarding world like spilled milk streaming across a table. Surprisingly Lucius had made an appointment to meet with Severus. He explained that he represented a fairly large consortium of Death Eaters who had wanted out, but didn’t know how to do it. Now that Voldemort was gone, or at least missing, they could all be honest. It was true that Lucius and his gang still thought that purebloods were superior, but that didn’t mean they had to kill and torture those who were not or those who disagreed. He presented Severus with an old diary of Voldemort’s, declaring that perhaps Snape could use it to find a way to rid them of their dark marks.


Two weeks after Remus had moved in with Harry and Severus, there was to be a full moon. Poppy came to their quarters to retrieve Lupin and escort him to the Shrieking Shack. Remus reluctantly put the sleeping Harry in his cot and knocked on the door of Snape’s potion lab. Suddenly the door opened and Severus came out with a smoking potion and an exhausted look in his eyes. “I can’t guarantee that this will work, but it might.”

 

“What is it?” asked Lupin.

 

“It’s a potion that I’ve been working on. It should help during your transformation. If it works, you’ll keep your mind and just transform into a wolf rather than a werewolf.” Minerva and Remus just stared. “Well go on, drink it. Then you’ll still have to go to the shack in case it doesn’t work.”


“Are you sure it’s not poison?” Poppy questioned.


“Of course I’m sure, woman,” Severus hissed. “Now are you going to drink it or not?”

           

“Bottoms up,” stated Lupin as he downed the potion. Remus grimaced as he handed the goblet back to Snape, but he didn’t complain. Then he turned to go with Poppy to the miserable shrieking shack.


With Remus out for the night, Severus felt he could take some time to study the diary, but first he checked on the soundly sleeping Harry. Then he settled on his sofa to study the diary. It was blank. “How is this supposed to help?” mumbled Severus.

        

Severus began casting spells on the diary and soon realized how it worked. He got out a quill and scribbled, “Are you there, Lord Voldemort?” He was soon conversing with the future Dark Lord by writing in the diary and receiving written answers. Although Severus knew nothing about horcruxes, he suspected that there was more to the diary than met the eye. He gained Riddle’s trust and ascertained Voldemort’s plans for enslaving his future “Death Eaters” with a type of tattoo and also discovered that Riddle had created the diary as a horcrux. He was horrified to discover that Riddle planned to split his soul into seven pieces, creating six horcruxes. Since the diary horcrux had been created fifty years ago, it was likely that Voldemort had succeeded.     

 

As Severus contemplated his discovery and its ramifications, he heard the door to his quarters open.  It was morning and Lupin was already back accompanied by Poppy.

           

“Thank you, Severus, that was the best transformation I’ve ever had,” stated Remus genuinely. He held out his arms, “See? No injuries.”

           

Poppy was very enthusiastic. “Severus, we really must share this. It can really help those who have been infected.”

           

“Let him finish the research on his guinea pig, first,” said Remus as he yawned and headed for bed. “I’m still pretty tired.”

           

“You can let yourself out, I assume, Poppy,” Severus stated. Poppy got the hint and left. Severus who hadn’t slept all night stretched out on the couch and was just getting comfortable when he heard the tell-tale signs of Harry awakening.


First there was the soft cooing, then the thumping of the boy pulling himself to his feet, followed by the yelling. “Ma Ma, Ma Ma.” Severus shook his head for the sad child who still didn’t understand that Lily wasn’t coming back. Slowly, Severus rose to his feet and headed for the nursery.  Harry brightened and called, “Sev, Sev, Sev! Where Ma Ma?”  Severus gently picked up the child and carried him toward the bathroom.


 

The End.
Ages 2-4 by Twonky
Author's Notes:
The first part of this chapter is a slightly edited version of Last Christmas, another story that I wrote. I had actually started this story at that point.

Christmas at ages 2 and 3:

 

 

“Does your bottom need a smack, little boy?” Severus asked, staring down imperiously at his naughty son.

         

Harry clamped his hands over his little bottom and shook his head emphatically. “No, Daddy.” Severus glanced toward Remus who was trying not to laugh and placed his hand over his mouth, pretending to yawn, so that Harry wouldn’t see him snicker. The little boy was just so cute in his Christmas pajamas.

           

After gaining control over his desire to laugh, Snape pointed down the hall and answered, “Then go to your room, get in bed, and stay there.”

 

Harry turned and rushed down the hall, but he paused at his door and looked back at Severus, “You wouldn’t really smack me on Christmas. Would you?”

           

“I sincerely hope I won’t have to. Let’s hope that Santa doesn’t leave you with a stocking full of coal and switches.” Harry had the audacity to giggle as he turned and ran into his room. Severus turned to see a smiling Remus patting the sofa to encourage him to sit down. “That was the fourth time. It’s your turn if he gets up again.”

           

“That’s not fair Sev. You can’t threaten him with a smacking and then leave me to carry it out.”

           

“I don’t recall threatening him. I simply asked if he wanted one,” Snape snickered and added silkily, “You wouldn’t smack him on Christmas, would you?”


“Good point. Have some cocoa. He should be asleep in another hour or so and then we can fill his stocking and get some rest.”

           

Severus sipped his cocoa and admired the nine beautifully wrapped presents under the tree.  Last Christmas Harry had unwittingly started a Christmas tradition. Severus and Remus had both bought the little boy too many presents. Perhaps it was because they felt sorry about Voldemort’s attack and Harry’s Christmas that was spent with Petunia, perhaps they were trying to buy his affection, or perhaps they both just loved to shop. It didn’t really matter.  Harry had stared at his huge pile of gifts on Christmas morning. “This too many,” he said as he distributed three gifts to Severus, three to Remus, and three to himself. “Three each. That fair,” he added.

          

“What about the rest?” questioned Severus.

           

“For Daddy’s snakes.” Remus and Severus had eyed each other.

           

“Well if that’s what you want, but I’d like you to have this.” Severus quickly switched a gift with one of the three that Harry had in his pile.          

           

“This one, too,” Remus made another change.

           

Remus and Severus had watched as Harry opened his three gifts. The first was a Toddler Broom from Remus. It had several charms to keep Harry safe, including a sticking charm to keep the child on the broom and a fly low and slow charm. The second was a Potions Kit for Early Beginners from Severus. It had a cauldron, a stirring stick, and several plastic ingredients including newt’s eyes and frog guts. The third gift was a plush deer with a lily embroidered on its hip. “Where did you find that?” Severus had asked Remus.


“I didn’t get that for him. I thought you did.”


“I did; I got it for me,” laughed Harry. Severus and Remus eyed each other. Harry was very powerful for a toddler.


That’s when Severus and Remus decided that each year they would each get Harry one gift and he would choose one for himself. They would do the same for each other. That way each person would receive a gift from the other two. The Slytherins would also receive a small, but more appropriate gift each year. (What would his Slytherins think when they received children’s books, blocks, and tub toys?)


As Snape considered the past year, he realized that he was really starting to feel comfortable with his life. He had been nervous about being a father, but he enjoyed Harry who was precocious and delightfully cheeky. Severus was also growing used to having Remus around. Remus was fantastic with Harry and always respected the father - son relationship that continued to grow between Harry and Severus. The best thing about the last year had been finally ridding himself of his Dark Mark. It had taken over a year of research, but he had finally created a potion which made the tattoo disappear with no trace. It was quite painful, but it was worth it to Severus and many other ex-death eaters.  He hadn’t had much luck with finding the Horcruxes, and Dumbledore, who was searching for them, still insisted that Harry would have to destroy Voldemort, but Severus was sure that was years away. For now he would be content with his new life.


Just then, Remus turned to Severus, “What are you thinking about?”


“Hmmm, oh, I was just wondering if he’s asleep yet. I’ll check.” Severus got up and walked softly to Harry’s room. Although his covers were askew and his left leg was hanging over the edge of the bed, Harry was sound asleep. Severus gently tucked the child in, kissed him on the forehead, and placed a one-way silencing spell on Harry’s room. That way he and Lupin could hear Harry, but Harry couldn’t hear them.


When Severus came back to the living room Remus headed to the cupboard to get out the gifts they had purchased for Harry’s stocking. They made quick work of filling the stocking, which had been charmed to be “wizard space.” (Perhaps they hadn’t cut down on the gifts as much as they meant to.) The two men said goodnight and headed for bed. Tomorrow would be an early morning.

 


 

Christmas at age 4:

          

It was Christmas Day and four-year-old Harry Potter was standing with his nose in the corner, mumbling something about it not being fair. It had been a yucky winter so far with ice and sleet, but no snow that one could actually play in, but when Harry awoke very early on Christmas morning, he looked out his charmed window and saw snow.  Deep, fluffy, snow. He jumped up and donned his warmest cloak over his pajamas. Then he pulled on his little boots and rushed to the living room.


Nobody else was awake yet. So he did what any little boy would do, he headed outside.  His father’s quarters had a special portal that led directly to an enclosed courtyard where Harry could play. However, he wasn’t allowed to use it without an adult, but that was the last thing on his mind. All he could think about was snow, snow, snow. When he arrived outside he immediately began to build a snowman, not even noticing how cold his hands were.


Meanwhile, Severus heard the portal alarm. He jumped out of his bed and rushed to Harry’s room, no Harry. What could have happened? Did someone come in to kidnap his precious boy? (It did seem unlikely that anyone would be able to use the portal from the courtyard to access his home, especially since it was keyed to only Harry, Remus, and Severus.) Perhaps Remus had taken the boy out to play. That’s when a rumpled Remus appeared in the doorway of his suite. “Did I hear the portal alarm?” he asked Severus.


“Yes, and Harry is missing.” Severus immediately transformed his clothes into winter wear and headed for the portal. Upon his arrival in the courtyard, he saw Harry happily building a snowman. “Harry, get over here, now.” He used his harshest voice, well, not exactly his harshest, but the harshest one he ever used with his son.


Harry turned to see him and seemed shocked. “But I want to finish my snowman.”


“Now, young man.” Harry ran as fast as he could in the deep snow. Severus immediately grabbed him and gave him a swat on the rear end. It didn’t actually hurt through his winter cloak, but Harry was mortified. He had gotten smacked on Christmas for building a snowman. That was completely unfair. He burst into tears.


Severus picked him up and rushed back inside where he noticed that Harry wasn’t wearing gloves. He stood Harry next to the fireplace and began to gently massage the boys freezing fingers. Harry continued to weep. “I wanted to build a snowman.”


Remus poked his head in to see Severus gently scolding Harry, reminding him that he wasn’t allowed out without an adult and that he wasn’t dressed appropriately. Assured that Harry was fine, Remus started cooking breakfast. When Harry was sufficiently warm, Severus removed the boy’s cloak and boots and sent him to the corner where he’d been sniffling for the last three minutes. Of course Harry was sure he’d been there for at least an hour.


At the end of four minutes, Severus called Harry out of the corner. “Harry, come here please.”


Harry turned around slowly. “Are you gonna smack my bottom?”


“No, but we do need to have a bit more of a talk.” Harry glanced at Remus, whose arms were crossed, and walked slowly over to his father. Severus pulled his son onto his lap. “Harry, please tell me why you had to stand in the corner.”


“Because you didn’t want me to make a snowman.” Remus grinned at Severus. Harry was pretty funny when he was pouting.


Severus wasn’t laughing. “No, Harry, think again. What rule did you break?”


As Harry thought for a minute his lips pooched out in a pout. “I went out alone?”


Severus nodded. “That’s right. You are not allowed out of our quarters without an adult. Do you know why?”


“Umm, ‘cause it’s dangerous?” Severus nodded. “But Daddy, nobody can get into our courtyard.”

 

 

“That’s true, Harry, but animals can. It’s also very cold. If you would have been with Remus or me, we would have dressed you appropriately. Without gloves, you could have gotten frostbite.”

 

 

 

“Oh.”

 

 

 

“Oh, indeed. Because you went out without permission, we will have to wait until tomorrow to finish your snowman.”

 

 

 

“But it’s Christmas and I wanna build it now,” Harry whined.

 

 

 

“Yes, it is Christmas and you will be very busy today playing with your new toys and enjoying the breakfast that Remus just cooked.”

 

 

 

“And Christmas cookies?” Harry asked eagerly.

 

 

 

Severus nodded, “Later.”

 

 

 

“Can I look in my stocking now?”

 

 

 

“No, we’re going to eat breakfast first, but right now I want you to go apologize to your Uncle Mooney. He was very worried about you.”  Harry nodded and Severus set him gently on the floor. Harry turned to look at Remus, but stood silently until his Dad gave him a slight nudge on the back and said, “Go on.”

 

 

 

Remus nodded at the boy and reached out his arms. Harry walked across the room to the waiting arms, but before he was lifted onto his nanny’s lap, he received a sound smack on his bottom. “Ouch,” Harry glared at Remus and reached around to rub his bottom. “Daddy said no smacks.”

 

 

 

Remus lifted the small boy onto his lap, “No, your father said that he wasn’t going to smack you. Besides, that was just a little swat to show you that I was very scared when you were missing.”

 

 

 

Harry nodded, “I’m sorry Uncle Mooney.”

 

 

 

“I forgive you. Just never do that again.”

 

 

 

“I won’t.”

 

 

 

“Good. I’m sure that if you do, you’ll get more than a couple of smacks on your bottom.” Harry looked over at his Dad, who nodded.

 

 

 

“I’ll be good. I promise.”

 

 

 

“I’m glad to hear it. Shall we have some breakfast?”

 

 

 

“Yes, please. Building snowmen makes me hungry.” With that the three gentleman settled in for a day of delicious food and thoughtful gifts.

The End.
End Notes:
Sorry about the extra space between some of the lines. I'm not sure how they got there!
Age 5 by Twonky

First day of wizarding primary school

 

Since it was Harry’s first day of primary school, Severus and Remus delivered Harry to school together.  They were able to floo directly into the school’s arrival hall where Harry was met by his new teacher, Ms. Tillery.  She was a kind woman with big brown eyes and light blonde hair. Remus fondly remembered her from school. She had been a Hufflepuff. After she had knelt and greeted Harry, she encouraged him to say goodbye to his family, reminding them that they could come back for him at 2:15.

 

Harry ran to Severus who gave him a hug and reminded him to behave himself, then Remus, who did the same. The three had just turned to the fireplace when it lit up green and a little boy stumbled out, followed by an older lady wearing a vulture hat. Harry thought she looked kind of scary. The boy had fallen and was covered in soot just like Harry usually was. Harry didn’t usually fall down because his Dad or Uncle usually held onto him, but he always was sooty even when he was with his father who came through pristine. His Dad would just tap Harry with his wand and remind Harry that as he gained experience he’d probably learn to floo without stumbling or getting dirty. That’s what Harry expected the witch in the vulture hat to do, so he was surprised when she started berating the little boy.

 

“Neville, I just can’t understand why you can’t exit the floo without falling all over the place. Your father never had that problem. And just look at you, you’re filthy. Your teacher is going to think that I’m raising a heathen.”

 

Ms. Tillery stepped forward shaking her head. She was probably going to say that she understood that most little boys got dirty in the floo, but Neville’s grandmother didn’t give her a chance. Instead Mrs. Longbottom, Neville’s grandmother, turned to Ms. Tillery and exclaimed, “I am so sorry about my grandson. He is just a mess. He’s probably a squib, but even if he isn’t, he’ll never be the wizard that his father was.”

 

Harry (and Severus and Remus for that matter) was shocked that someone would speak like this. He felt his magic gather around him as the torches in the room flickered. Before anyone could stop him he stepped toward the woman and her grandson. “STOP IT!” he yelled.

 

Mrs. Longbottom turned and faced him. “You are certainly impertinent.”

 

This didn’t stop Harry he continued his rant, “How could you talk to him like that? I would fall out of the floo every time if my Dad didn’t hold onto me.” Severus and Remus stepped forward to stop Harry before he said too much, but they found themselves pushed away by his magic. That’s when the woman started shaking her finger in his face. “I said, ‘STOP,’” he yelled and she flew against the wall. The wind began to blow through the room and the windows broke as Harry moved toward Mrs. Longbottom who was splayed against the wall like a dead squirrel on the road. “Never talk to anybody like that. He’s just a kid and you should love him even if he’s different from his Dad.”

 

Severus and Remus stared, frozen in place as Ms. Tillery cleared the other children out of the room and gently approached Harry. She knelt beside him. “Harry?” she said gently, “We need you to calm down.”

 

“No!” he screamed and the pot of floo powder fell off the mantle and shattered on the hearth. Remus actually gasped which caused Severus to turn and give him the patented Snape look.

 

“Harry, you’re scaring everybody. Look at Neville. Do you want him to be afraid?”

 

Harry turned and looked at Neville. The little boy did look scared. Harry noted that the boy was shaking and had tears running down his face. “No, but I don’t want her to be so mean to him.”

 

“Okay, Harry, I understand, but you’re going to need to take some deep breaths and let her down from the wall.” She paused. “Here, breathe with me. In, out, in, out.” She prolonged each word as she breathed slowly and soon Harry began to calm. The wind stopped whipping around the room. “Now, let her down gently.” Reluctantly, Harry did so.

 

Mrs. Longbottom looked none the worse for the wear, except that she was breathing heavily. Severus stepped forward and began to apologize about Harry’s behavior, but Mrs. Longbottom spoke up, “No, Professor Snape, he’s right. I have not been treating my grandson fairly. I need to show him that I love him for who he is, not who his father was.” She turned and faced Neville. “I’m sorry, Neville. Can you forgive me?” She knelt down and her grandson rushed into her arms. As she held him, she looked to Ms. Tillery. “I’m going to need help to improve. Can you give me some advice?”

 

“Certainly and I’ll start by recommending a therapist who can help both of you.”

 

“Thank you.”

 

Harry was standing with his mouth agape as he was just starting to realize what he had done. He took several steps backward until he was standing against his father’s legs. Mrs. Longbottom looked at Severus and said, “I think your little boy is going to be very powerful.”

 

“Perhaps, but he will have to learn to control himself,” Snape whispered as he knelt down to comfort his son.

 

 

 

 

Christmas

 

 

“All the other kids at school say that they get lots of presents for Christmas, but I only get three. How is that fair?” Harry asked plaintively.

 

“It was your idea. Our first Christmas together you thought having too many gifts was greedy,” Severus answered gently. “And don’t forget, you get three from our family, but other people also give you gifts and Santa brings you a stocking.”

 

“Wait, how could I decide that too many gifts was greedy? I was only two years old.”

 

Severus told Harry all about their first Christmas.

 

“Wait, so you gave the Slytherins my toddler gifts?”

 

Severus nodded as he replied, “That’s what you wanted. We went to the common room together and distributed them. The kids were so touched by your sharing, that they didn’t laugh when they got tub toys, stuffed animals, and baby books.”

 

“That’s funny,” Harry giggled.

 

“Indeed, it is. I believe I spotted a rubber duck in the prefect bathroom a couple of months later.”

 

Harry giggled. “Your Slytherins are nice. Why don’t people like them?”

 

“That, my boy, is a very big question.” There was a long pause.

 

“Aren’t you going to tell me?”

 

“You know that there are some evil wizards in our world, right?” Harry nodded. “Well, some of the most evil were Slytherins at school.”

 

“Was it ‘cause they were Slytherins?”

 

“No, but our founder had kind of a poor reputation, too, and that doesn’t help.”

 

“What do you mean?”

 

“Well, he left the school because he had a disagreement with the other founders. Some people think that the disagreement was because he didn’t like wizards that were not purebloods.”

 

“But it wasn’t?”

 

“I don’t think so. According to his portrait, he wanted different treatment for children of muggles. He thought they should go to a prep school for Hogwarts when they were 9 or 10.”

 

“That would be cool, wouldn’t it?”

 

“I think so, but others would disagree.”

 

Just then Remus walked in the door carrying a large, wrapped present. Harry jumped up to help him place the gift under the tree.

 

---

When Severus awoke on Christmas, there was a package on his pillow. Severus read the attached note: Open me now. Feeling quite intrigued, Severus gently removed the paper from a small box. Inside the box was a cracked ring. There was another note. It read, “For your collection, only four to go.” Severus smiled as he placed the ring inside the safe where he kept the destroyed diary. Then he hurried to wake Harry for breakfast.

The End.
Ages 6-7 by Twonky

 

Age 6: 

Halloween

 

Remus glared at Harry who had the sense to look ashamed of himself. “Harry Potter, what have we told you about your behavior at school?” Harry just looked at his feet. “Answer me.”

 

“I better behave myself if I don’t want a smacking,” the boy mumbled.

 

“That’s right and not only did you misbehave, but you could have seriously hurt yourself or somebody else.” Harry pushed his toe against the edge of the hearth. He hated lectures. Uncle Remus usually kept his lectures short, but he smacked harder. His Dad’s lectures seemed to go on and on, but he didn’t usually smack as hard or as long as Uncle Remus. Either way, Harry always felt thoroughly chastised. He hoped that Remus would get this over with quickly. Remus had his arms crossed staring at the child who didn’t appear to be listening. He softened his tone, “Harry, look at me.”

 

Harry looked up at his Uncle Remus whose lips were pressed tightly together. “I’m sorry,” he whispered.

 

Remus nodded and said, “I’m glad to hear that, but you still need a bottom-warming. Now go get the slipper.”

 

“Aww, Uncle Mooney, please don’t use the slipper,” the boy whined.

“You need to feel the slipper this time. I believe it’s in your Dad’s office.” He paused looking at the reluctant little boy. “Go on now, unless you want extra.”

 

Harry replied, “Yes, sir,” and headed toward his father’s office which connected their home to the potion master’s classroom. He pushed open the door hoping that his Dad was in class and wouldn’t notice him, but the man was sitting at his desk. Harry entered quietly. Severus was writing something down and didn’t look up, but Harry knew that his Dad had heard him. He always did.

 

The professor finished his sentence and looked at his child. Then he checked the clock. Since Harry’s school day wasn’t over yet and the child’s face was tear-streaked, it was obvious that Harry was in some kind of trouble. He reached out his hand, “Come here, Harry.” Harry obeyed, but continued to stare at his toes. “What’s going on, son?”

 

“I, um,” Harry cleared his throat, “I, uh, need the slipper, Daddy.”

 

“Oh, I see.” Severus opened his drawer and pulled out the slipper which he set on his desk. “C’mere a minute, Harry.” With that he reached out and gathered the boy in his arms whispering in his ear, “I love you, kiddo. It doesn’t matter what you’ve done. I still love you and so  does Remus.”

 

“Thanks, Dad,” the boy whispered. With that Snape planted a kiss on the top of Harry’s messy head, handed him the slipper, and lowered him to the floor. Then, with a gentle pat on the seat of Harry’s slacks, he sent the boy back to Remus.

 

Harry plodded back to his uncle. Remus was waiting on the settee and reached out his hand for the slipper which he quickly placed on the cushion next to himself. Then he pulled Harry between his knees and looked the child directly in the eyes. “Why am I punishing you, Mr. Potter?”

 

Harry sighed. He hated being in trouble and really wished that he were better at avoiding it. “I got in trouble at school, sir.”

 

“And what did you do?”

 

“I pranked the teacher with fireworks.”

 

“And what’s wrong with that?”

 

“It’s dangerous.”

 

“That’s right, Harry,” Remus affirmed as he gently picked up the boy and placed him over his lap. Then he took hold of the child’s waist with his left hand and sharply smacked Harry’s bottom with his right. Harry gasped and moved his his hands to protect his rear. Remus just grasped both of Harry’s wrists in his left hand and smacked the boy again.

 

Harry cried out, “I’m sorry.”

 

“I know,” Remus replied, but he continued the smacking. SMACK, SMACK, SMACK, SMACK. Harry was sobbing and Remus paused. “Almost done, Harry.” He picked up the slipper and brought it down twice against Harry’s tender bottom, once on each cheek. Quickly he lifted Harry against his chest and let the child cry, all the while whispering that he loved him and that Harry was forgiven.

__

 

That evening, at the Halloween feast, Fred and George Weasley, who were visiting their brothers Charlie and Bill, stopped to see Harry at the head table. “We’re sorry, Harry.”

 

“Yeah, we didn’t want you to get in trouble.”

 

Severus eyed them, “Ah, so you are the miscreants who supplied my child with fireworks.” Both boys stared at their feet and nodded. “Does your mother know about this?”

 

In the universal language of smacked children everywhere, both boys rubbed their bottoms and replied, “Yes, sir.”

 

“Don’t give my son anything dangerous again, understood?”

 

“Yes, sir,” they responded in unison. Severus gave them a stern nod before they bade Harry farewell.

 

“See you tomorrow, Harry.”

 

“Yup, we’ll see you in the morning.”

 

Harry smiled and waved as the twins rushed back to their seats.

 

 

 

 

Age 7:

Christmas 

 

Now that Harry was old enough to have some freedom he was allowed to visit several places in the castle, as long as he got permission ahead of time. He had been to visit Professor Sinistra and was headed for the dungeons when he noticed that Sir Cadogan was running across somebody else’s painting. Sir Cadogan was constantly leaving his own painting to hassle the occupants of other paintings and Harry wondered what he was up to. Harry followed stealthily as the Knight jumped from painting to painting, but was caught when Sir Cadogan returned to the painting he had just left.

 

 

“Ah, young Harry, I thought someone was following me.”

 

 

“Yeah, what are you doing?”

 

 

“I heard that ballet is good for building your strength so I thought I’d join the ballet lesson, but I can’t seem to reach the tapestry.” Harry turned and studied the tapestry. It appeared that a Wizard was attempting to teach some trolls ballet. It wasn’t looking very promising. “Let me try again," called Sir Cadogan, and he jumped to the painting just beyond the tapestry. Harry chased after him.

 

“Sir Cadogan,” he started, when the knight suddenly returned to the painting before the troll tapestry. Harry ran after him again and started to speak, but Sir Cadogan had already returned to the painting on the other side. Harry called out and began to run after him, but Sir Cadogan seemed not to hear him.

 

 “Oh bother,” grumbled the knight, “I guess I’ll go tickle some fruit,” and he was off again. Harry gave up. He had wanted to know more about how the knight jumped from picture to picture and he had wanted to suggest that Sir Cadogan join the tightrope walkers that Harry had once observed in a circus picture.

 

 

Harry stood in the hallway breathing heavily and trying to get his bearings when he thought he heard his father. “Uh oh, I better hide,” he whispered and a door suddenly appeared. “It’ll probably be locked,” Harry mumbled, but he tried it anyway and it was open. Harry slipped inside and closed the door. The light was dim, but Harry’s eyes soon adjusted. His mouth dropped open and he gasped in awe. He seemed to be in a huge closet that was piled with junk: really cool junk. Harry walked up and down the aisles staring at everything. That’s when he noticed the tiara. It was pretty and he didn’t have a gift for Professor Sinistra so he grabbed it and headed for the door. Placing his ear against the door Harry listened carefully for any voices before he slowly opened it. The hall seemed to be clear so Harry ran out and rushed toward the dungeons. He was only about halfway down the hall when he realized that the crown of metal felt warm. ‘Shouldn’t it be cool?’ he thought as he wandered down a stairway.

 

 

He arrived back at his quarters without further incident, but faced two very angry looking guardians. “Harry, where have you been?” Remus asked in his usual mellow voice.

 

 

Harry’s Dad, wasn’t quite so tolerant, “Professor Sinistra says that you left the tower an hour ago. I know you didn’t come straight back.”

 

 

Harry put his head down. “I’m sorry. I was following Sir Cadogan.”

 

 

“You know better,” scolded Remus.

 

 

“Yes, sir,” agreed Harry gloomily.

 

 

“You are going to spend the rest of the afternoon, until supper, in your room. Now march!” Severus stated firmly.

 

 

“Yes, sir.” Harry turned and dragged his feet as he walked toward his room. It seemed too close to Christmas for punishments.

 

 

“Wait, Harry, what’s that in your hand?”

 

 

Harry turned, “It’s my gift for Professor Sinistra. I found it in a big closet.”

 

 

“May I see it?” asked Snape calmly, but he felt just the opposite. If he wasn’t mistaken, the tiara looked like a bird. Harry walked back to his Dad and handed over the diadem. Severus studied it closely as Remus stared thoughtfully. “I’m sorry, Harry, but you can’t give this to Professor Sinistra.”

 

 

“Why not?” Harry asked petulantly.

 

 

Harry felt a sudden sting in his rump and spun to face his Uncle Remus. “You watch your attitude young man. Aren’t you in enough trouble?”

 

 

Harry had tears in his eyes and his ears felt hot, “But I wanted to get her something. It’s not fair.”

 

 

“Harry, look at me.” Harry turned and faced his Dad who placed his long fingers under Harry’s chin.

 

 

“I’m sorry, son, but this may be a dark and dangerous artifact. I’ll have to let the Headmaster look it over. We’ll find another gift for Aurora, understand?” Harry’s shoulders slumped, but he nodded. “Perhaps tomorrow you can show me where you found this.” Again, Harry nodded. “Good, now get to your room, you scamp.”

The End.
End Notes:
updated June 23, 2017 (I keep meaning to add the date.)
Ages 8 to 10 by Twonky
Author's Notes:
This chapter has been slightly revised. I added Age 10 to it so the next chapter wouldn't be short. (I don't want to combine 10 and 11.)

Age 8:

Christmas

 

 

“Take this potion, Harry. You’ll be feeling better in no time.” As Harry swallowed the potion, he made an awful face, but he managed to keep it all down. “Good, Harry,” Madame Pomphrey praised, “now take this one. It will help you get some rest.”

 

“I won’t sleep through Christmas, will I?” Harry asked hoarsely.

 

“No, honey. We would never let you miss Christmas.” Harry swallowed the potion and dropped off to sleep as Severus stroked his brow with a cool cloth.

 

“I’ll make some tea,” Remus remarked. Then he gently kissed Harry’s forehead and strolled out of Harry’s room.

 

Severus sighed deeply as he looked into Poppy’s worried face. “Join us for tea?” he suggested as he tucked Harry in and headed into the living room. Poppy nodded and followed.

 

As Remus poured three cups of tea, the wolf managed a slight smile, that looked more like a grimace. “So, what’s the verdict, Poppy?” he asked quietly. Severus nodded in agreement. He wanted to know now. Although his face looked smooth and relaxed, he felt that his anxiety would boil over any second.

 

“He has pneumonia.”

 

The only reaction from Severus was a quick intake of breath which Poppy pretended not to notice. Remus asked skeptically, “Pneumonia?”

 

“Yes, I can’t imagine where he caught it, but he’ll feel better in a few days. However, he’ll have to take it easy for at least ten days.”

 

“He’s not going to like that,” Remus shook his head.

 

“Perhaps we should save the,” Severus quickly cast a muffliato charm, “broom for when he’s better.”

 

“That’s a good idea. Save the broom, perhaps until your birthday, Severus.”

 

Both men nodded. “I need to check on Aurora. She fell and sprained her ankle. Keep giving Harry the potions I’ve prescribed and keep him calm.”

 

Remus saw Poppy to the door as Severus sank into his favorite chair. When Remus returned Severus was sitting with his head in his hands. Remus sank down on the couch beside Sev. “It’s hard to see him so sick, isn’t it?” he commented gently.

 

Severus sat up. “It is.” The two men sat in silence for a few minutes. “You know, Remus, with the full moon falling on Christmas Eve and your furry little problem, perhaps we should celebrate Christmas a few days late. I’d hate you have both of you feeling lousy on Christmas.”

 

“How do you think Harry will feel about it?”

 

“I think it will be fine. He was worried about you any way.”

 

“He’s such a sweet kid.” They both flinched when they heard Harry coughing and Sev rushed to his son’s side.”

---

On Christmas Eve Harry was feeling better and was allowed to play quietly in front of the fire. It was almost dusk when Severus delivered cocoa to Harry and a steaming potion to Remus who made a face and raised his goblet. “Cheers,” he said. Harry and Severus raised their mugs. “Bottoms up,” Remus grimaced and gulped his potion quickly. “It’s time for me to retire for the night,” he said, standing slowly.

 

Harry jumped up, coughed a few times, and rushed over to hug Remus. “Good night, Uncle Mooney. Happy Christmas.”

 

Remus reached down and hugged the little boy. “Happy Christmas to you, too.” He nodded at Severus, “Good evening.”

 

Severus nodded back. “We’ll see you in the morning.” Although Remus had been through many safe transformations in the last couple of years, it still made Severus nervous. He had lycanthrophobia which was probably brought on by the incident with the marauders. Back then Remus had always gone to the shrieking shack when there was a full moon, but now he just went to bed. Severus was very careful to make the Wolfsbane potion correctly and monitor Lupin when it was administered.


Soon after Remus left, Severus put Harry to bed and began to relax on the couch. It was about midnight when he heard the growling. At least he thought it was growling and it was coming from Lupin’s apartment. Severus quickly transformed into Shadow, his cat form, as the door rattled.


After considerably more rattling, the door burst open and revealed a huge black wolf. It wasn’t Lupin’s were form. Severus had witnessed that. This wolf looked like a regular wolf, but it was very angry. The wolf was pacing and growling. Severus didn’t know if a bite from Lupin in this form would transmit lycanthropy, but he didn’t want to find out. He had to keep the wolf away from Harry and in their quarters so that nobody else would be in danger. Just then, Harry coughed. The wolf’s ears pricked up and the wolf loped to Harry’s door. Severus jumped on his back and dug his claws in, but the wolf just ignored him. The wolf jumped against Harry’s door and it flew open. Severus transformed back and found himself sitting astride the wolf. He reached for his wand to stun the wolf as it strolled out from under him and into Harry’s room. Harry, who was having trouble sleeping because of his cough and the door practically breaking down reached out his hand. “Hey, Mooney,” he sang. Then he turned to Severus, “Don’t hurt him Dad.” Severus stared in disbelief as the wolf sniffed Harry’s hand the then lay on the floor next to the boy’s bed as if he was on guard. “Can Shadow sleep with me, too?”


“Hmmf,” Snape replied. “Yes, I guess he can.” Severus transformed back into Shadow and curled up under Harry’s chin. As he went to sleep he began planning adjustments to the wolfsbane potion.

 

----- 

 

Age 9:

Christmas

 


It was December 21, the night of the winter solstice, and Harry’s family was enjoying hot cocoa in front of the fireplace when Severus made his announcement, “Draco will be joining us for Christmas this year.”

 

“What? No, that’s not fair,” Harry blustered.

 

“Harry,” Remus stated firmly.

 

Harry whined, “But why?”

 

“His parents are traveling for the holidays and cannot take him along. I’m sure that he is just as disappointed as you are,” explained Severus.

 

“Couldn’t he stay somewhere else?” Harry asked plaintively.

 

“He’s staying with us and you will make him feel welcome,” Severus stated sternly.

 

“Fine!”

 

“Watch your tone, Harry,” Remus chided.


---

Draco arrived the next evening in a terrible mood. Harry tried to be nice, “You want to go up to the Great Hall and see the trees. They’re awesome.”

 

“Leave me alone.”

 

“Okay, maybe tomorrow,” agreed Harry. Draco stormed into Harry’s room and threw himself on Harry’s extra bed. When Harry started to follow, Remus suggested that he give Draco some space. Harry nodded and settled on the couch with a book.

 

After a few minutes Severus went in to check on Draco. Even from behind he could see that Draco was struggling not to cry, so he sat on the side of the bed and gently rubbed Draco’s back. In a few minutes, Draco sat up and leaned against his Godfather who placed an arm around his shoulders. “I’m sorry that you can’t be with your parents this Christmas. I know you miss them.”


Draco nodded and added, “I bet Harry’s mad that I’m here.”


“He was, but he got over it.”


Draco stood up and opened his trunk. Severus rolled his eyes thinking, “Only my godson would need a whole trunk for five days.” Meanwhile Draco pulled out his robes and hung them next to Harry’s. Then he pulled out a pile of gifts, “Should I put these under the tree, Uncle Sev?”


“I’ll take care of it.” Severus motioned with his wand and the gifts flew out the door and down the hall, presumably to settle under the tree.


Draco pulled out his shower kit and placed it on the floor next to his bed. He was trying to decide where to put his pants when he noticed the black box in the bottom of the trunk, “Oh, Father told me to give this to you. He says that you are to open it privately and that you’ll know what to do with it.”


“Thank you, Draco. Do you think you feel up to a visit to the Great Hall with Harry?” Draco nodded and strolled back to the living room. Severus waved his wand over the box. It contained very dark magic. Would Lucius have sent him something harmful? Just then he noticed the tag and read it.


“I think you’ve been looking for this. I found it in Bella’s vault. Be careful. Yours, Lucius.” Immediately Severus got up and hurried to his safe where he added a fifth horcrux to his collection. He would destroy it tonight after the boys were in bed.


---

It turned out that Draco was a lot of fun to have around for Christmas. The two boys had enjoyed opening crackers together, dumping their Christmas stockings to compare how St. Nicholas had treated them (the same), pelting each other with snowballs, and just creating mayhem in general.


When Draco flooed home five days later, Harry looked at his Dad and Uncle Remus. “That was fun, we should have him back next year.” The two men eyed each other and then attacked Harry, tickling him mercilessly while laughing at how just a few days could change one’s perspective.

 

 

Age 10:

Christmas 

 


Harry’s Dad and Uncle Remus had just said good-night to Harry and settled into the living room for tea, when something occurred to Harry. He jumped out of bed and ran into the living room. “Dad, Uncle Remus!”

 

“What is it, child?”

             

“I just thought of something.” Both men looked at Harry expectantly. “Will we still have Christmas together next year?”

 

“Why wouldn’t we?” asked Severus.

 

“Well, when I’m a student will I be allowed to stay with you?”

 

“Certainly,” his Dad nodded.

 

“Especially on holidays,” confirmed Uncle Remus.

 

“Good, but things will be different, won’t they?”


“Well, yes. You’ll be a student and your Uncle Remus will be teaching.”

 

“So, we’ll have a lot less time together?” Severus and Remus both nodded.

 

“Do I have to go to Hogwarts?” Harry whined.

 

“Oh, Harry,” answered his Dad, “this isn’t the time to discuss this. It’s Christmas Eve. Let’s just enjoy today and tomorrow and then consider the repercussions of being a first year.”

 

“Okay,” answered Harry solemnly.

 

“C’mon, I’ll tuck you in again.” Severus got up and placed his hand on the back of Harry’s neck, leading him to his room.


At Christmas dinner in the Great Hall, Professor Dumbledore smiled benevolently at the trio. At the beginning he had been against Harry staying with Severus, but he had to admit that Harry had grown into a fine young lad. “Harry, which house do you think you’ll be in next year?”


Severus squeezed his eyes shut. This was a conversation he detested. Remus slightly shook his head at Dumbledore, who studiously ignored him. “I don’t know, sir. I think I’d be happy in any house.”


“Ah, that’s good to hear young man, but we need to consider your future. Perhaps Gryffindor would be best for you.” Professor McGonagall smiled, but Professors Flitwick and Sprout both glared at the headmaster.


“What future? What do you mean?” asked Harry.


As Remus laid a hand on Harry’s shoulder to calm him, Albus began to answer, “Why when Voldemort…” but he was interrupted by Severus who had jumped up from his chair.


“That is NOT a discussion for Christmas Day, Headmaster.”


“Well, we have to discuss it at some point,” Albus answered quietly. Minerva cleared her throat.


Even though Remus was gently massaging his shoulder, Harry could feel the tension in the air.  He could practically taste it. The dishes on the table started to rattle. Severus sat and placed his hand on Harry’s other shoulder.  The dishes began to stop rattling as Harry began to pull in his accidental magic. “You really shouldn’t get the boy so excited,” commented Albus. All the leftover mashed potatoes flew at Dumbledore. Minerva tried to hold back her laughter, but Sprout smiled broadly and Flitwick laughed outright.


“Albus, the snowmen are to stay outside. You know that,” Minerva commented when she had controlled her desire to smirk. Albus smiled and vanished the potatoes.


“Are you okay?” Remus asked.


“Sure. The potatoes had already cooled. No harm done,” Albus affirmed. Severus gave Harry’s shoulder one final squeeze as everyone dug into dessert.


That evening after Harry was in bed, Severus and Remus had their usual tea. Severus brought up the incident. “I will not have Albus forcing Harry into some sort of destiny.”


Remus nodded thoughtfully. “Most children can’t control their accidental magic like that, but Harry was aiming for Dumbledore, wasn’t he?”


Just then there was a knock on the door. Severus answered as he waved his wand to open the door. “I’m not so sure that was accidental. Harry has showed signs of being powerful for at least 9 years.” Remus nodded as Albus joined them.


“I agree. Your young man is already quite powerful. I’m lucky he has a sense of humor.” Albus’s eyes twinkled as recalled the incident. “I apologize for my earlier behavior. Harry will do well in any house and I know that he’ll be prepared to meet his destiny.”


Severus sneered, “I accept your apology, but I disagree that he has the destiny you imagine.” Remus nodded.


As was his way, Albus ignored Severus’ comment and said, “Okay, my boys. I will take my leave now.” He turned and walked to the door. Just as he placed his hand on the knob, he turned, “Remus, I have reason to believe that the Black’s house elf knows where Salazar’s locket is.” With that he walked out the door leaving Remus with his mouth hanging open while Severus scowled.

 

 

The End.
Age 11 by Twonky

 Sorting

 

Harry anxiously awaited his turn to be sorted. He knew many of the children and wasn’t surprised at what house they were placed in, but he wondered about his special friends. The first to be called was Hermione Granger. He had just met her on the train and she seemed like a know-it-all, but there was something about her that he thought he liked and hoped he would get to know her better. It was no surprise when she was sorted into Ravenclaw. He had known his friend Neville Longbottom for a long time, but he wasn’t sure which house the boy would go to. Harry suspected that Neville would be a Hufflepuff, but knew that Neville’s grandmother still hoped that he would be like his father and be sorted into Gryffindor. The hat took a few minutes, but placed Neville in Hufflepuff. Harry grinned when the hat immediately placed Draco Malfoy into Slytherin. Part of Harry hoped that he would be placed into Slytherin, too. That way he could spend more time near his Dad, but he suspected that “destiny” had other ideas. Ronald would surely be placed in Gryffindor with all of his brothers, so Harry would have a special friend in each house, but where did he belong?


He startled when Professor McGonagall, who he considered to be his grandmother, crisply called his name. As Harry rushed to the stool he glanced up at Remus who smiled and winked at him and  then his father who solemnly nodded toward the stool. Harry spend several minutes under the hat who eventually called out “Hufflepuff.” After taking his seat with his fellow badgers he looked at his father who nodded again. Harry could tell by his father’s eyes that the man was pleased. Uncle Remus grinned at him, but Harry wasn’t surprised about that.



Halloween


It was complete chaos. Everyone was running around screaming until Headmaster Dumbledore used sonorous and called them to order. Harry looked around worriedly for his friends. Hermione was safe with the Ravenclaws and Percy was dragging Ronald into the Gryffindor line. He was able to spot Draco very quickly among the Slytherins and had to wonder why they would be sent to the dungeons. Isn’t that where Quirrell had spotted the troll? As he thought of Quirrell he turned to look at the man who lay passed out on the floor only to notice that the man had his head raised and was looking around the room. As Neville grabbed Harry’s arm to assure that he was following the other Hufflepuffs, Harry noticed that the man had begun to sneak out of the Great Hall.


He pointed him out to Neville. “He’s up to something. I’m going to follow him.”


“You’d better not. Your Dad will kill you if you get hurt.” Harry rolled his eyes at his best friend. “I mean, we should tell someone.”


“The only ones who would believe me are my Dad and Uncle and they’re not around,” Harry whispered and took off after Professor Quirrell. Neville looked around and took off after Harry.


A few minutes later they found themselves in the third floor corridor. Hiding in a doorway, they peeked out to see what Quirrell was up to. Why would he be opening that door? Both boys knew that a very large, very dangerous, three-headed dog was hidden behind it. Quirrell pulled out his wand and pointed it at the door. As he opened it the ferocious dog began barking. Neville and Harry were no longer hiding and stood gaping at Quirrell as he attempted to subdue the dog. That’s when Severus appeared out of the shadows. “What do you think you’re doing, Quirinius?”

“J-just ch-checking to make sure that-that the st-stone is s-safe.”


“I’m sure,” stated Severus. “I will be reporting your actions to Albus.”


“And he’ll want to know why you were here,” replied Quirinius without stuttering.


“Oh, he knows,” Severus intoned. Suddenly he spun around. “And just what are you two miscreants doing here?” he rebuked.


Harry and Neville looked at each other. They knew that he wasn’t really asking. “You two will come with me.” His tone brooked no argument so the boys followed closely in the man’s wake, practically running to keep up.


Harry was disappointed when his father arrived at his office and ordered the boys to sit. Harry had been hoping that this meeting would take place at home. His Dad usually met with him in the office when he was the most angry. He looked out of the corner of his eye at Neville who seemed to be trembling.


“Mr. Longbottom and Mr. Potter,” he drawled, “what were you doing in a forbidden area of the castle?” He waited.


Harry waited too. He knew there would be more. His Dad would be quite angry that they hadn’t gone straight to the Hufflepuff common room as ordered. Honestly, his father was a nut about safety. However, his father didn’t go on. Harry eyed Neville, but the boy was pale and shaking. It occurred to Harry that his best friend might be about to puke so he spoke up. “Dad, it’s not Neville’s fault. He didn’t do anything wrong.”


Severus narrowed his eyes at Harry.


“I mean, Professor Snape. Sorry, sir.”


Snape nodded. He wasn’t surprised that Harry had forgotten, but he was angry enough that he wasn’t going to make it easy for the child.


“I believe that I saw Mr. Longbottom in the third floor corridor with you. Or was that my imagination?”


“Yeah, but he was only there because he didn’t want me to do something stupid.”


“Explain, Mr. Potter.” So Harry told his father what had happened. The man eyed the both sternly. “You both know better than to put your lives in danger. Mr. Longbottom, you are lucky that I am not calling your grandmother, this time.”


Neville sighed. “Thank you, sir.”


“You will be serving detention with me tomorrow at 7:00.” Neville nodded. “Mr. Potter, you have three detentions with me, beginning tomorrow at 7:00.”


“Yes, sir.”


“Mr. Longbottom, come with me. I’ll walk you to your common room.” Both boys started to rise, “No, Mr. Potter, you will wait right here. I believe we need to discuss this more.” Harry nodded. He was pretty sure that he would have to endure a very long lecture and some time over his father’s knees in a few minutes.



Christmas


Harry eagerly boarded the train at Hogmeade station. He and his friends had things to discuss. It was hard to get any privacy at the castle, but they could sit together on the Hogwarts Express and not worry about eavesdroppers. When they arrived at King’s Cross, Severus would be there waiting to floo Harry directly back to the castle. Harry walked down the aisle looking for his friends, but most cars were full. Finally, as he walked into the final car, he saw Draco standing at the end of the aisle. Harry almost snorted, but managed to hold it in. The well-coiffed boy had his arms crossed and was tapping his foot impatiently.


“What took you so long, Harry? We’ve all been waiting for you.”


“What’s the rush? We have all day.”


Just then Hermione leaned out of a compartment, “C’mon, Harry, I have news.”


Harry, Ron, Neville, Draco, and Hermione had been trying to discover what the three-headed dog was guarding. From some chats with Hagrid, they knew it had been at Gringotts, brought to the castle by Hagrid, and had something to do with Nicolas  Flamel. That’s where they got stuck. They couldn’t find anything about a Nicolas Flamel.


Harry settled into the compartment with his friends and looked expectantly at Hermione. Instead of talking, she began passing out chocolate frogs. “What’s this about? I thought you had news,” grumbled Ron as he stuffed a chocolate frog into his mouth.


As the rest of her friends nodded agreement with Ron, Hermione ordered, “Read your wizard cards.” She paused. “Does anybody have somebody that we personally know?”


“I have headmaster Dumbledore,” Neville answered.


“Read it to us, please,” requested Hermione.


Neville, reluctantly began to read the card aloud. “Albus Dumbledore, Currently headmaster of Hogwarts.”


“Like we didn’t know that,” interrupted Draco, who was quickly hushed by Hermione.


Neville continued, “Considered by many the greatest wizard of modern times, Dumbledore is particularly famous for his defeat of the Dark wizard Grindelwald in 1945, for the discovery of the twelve uses of dragon’s blood, and his work on alchemy with his partner,  NICOLAS FLAMEL!”


“It was right in front of our noses all along,” Harry lamented.


“How did you discover this, Hermione, you almost never eat chocolate frogs!” exclaimed Ron.

Hermione shrugged, “I decided it would be fun to collect them. I’ve been sharing my candy with Lavender and Pavarti, and they’ve been giving me their doubles.”


Hermione’s friends laughed, but Neville soon got them back on topic. “I’m still not sure who Nicolas Flamel is.”


“Oh, sorry. He was easy to find once I knew he was an alchemist,” Hermione explained. Then she went on to explain what she had discovered including that she suspected that Fluffy was guarding the philosopher’s stone.


“But why would Quirrell want the philosopher’s stone?” asked Draco.


Neville, who along with the others strongly suspected the Dark Arts professor because of what he had witnessed on Halloween, “Lots of people want power and having lots of gold will give you power.”


Draco snorted as he whispered, “And lots of it.”


“We’ve got to tell someone that he’s after it,” Ron stated.


“My Dad already knows and he’ll kill me if he finds out that we’ve been researching it.”


“Well, I guess since he already suspects Professor Quirrell and the headmaster is aware, we should just keep our eyes and ears open. We can tell someone if we learn something new that would help,” Hermione suggested.


“Yes, I guess our research has really just caught us up to what Uncle Sev already knew.”



 

Easter


Draco, Harry, and Ron were fully enjoying their Easter Holidays and rushed down to see Hagrid. Hermione, of course, was rewriting her notes for all of her classes. Usually, Hagrid greeted the boys with a friendly welcome, but today he barely opened the door. Upon discovering the dragon, who just happened to be hatching right when they arrived, the boys were flabbergasted. Harry, however, saw this as an opportunity and he began questioning Hagrid about how he obtained the egg. Hagrid, who was busy getting to know his new dragon, through the use of baby talk, which sounded ridiculous coming from the half giant, was too distracted not to answer.


Harry: “Where did you get a dragon egg?”

Hagrid: “I didn’t find it; i won it. DIdn’t I Norbert. Yes, Mummy won you in a game of cards.”

Norbert: Hiss. Spit. Scratch. Nip. Blow fire.

Harry: “Who did you beat at cards?”

Norbert: Belch.

Hagrid: (tickling Norbert under the chin) “Aww, there’s a big burp, Norby. Mummy knows that feels good.”

Harry: “Hagrid.”

Hagrid: “Hmm?”

Norbert: Spits fire.

Harry: “Who’d you beat at cards?”

Hagrid: “I don’t know. He had his head covered.” Hagrid switched to his sing-song voice.
“Didn’t he, Norbert? Yes, he did.”

Norbert: Burps fire.

Harry: “But why?”

Hagrid: “Because I wanted to be a dragon Mummy. Didn’t I Norbert? Yes I did.”

Harry, who knew that Hagrid wasn’t good at cards: “So this guy would have let anybody have the egg, if they beat him at cards?”

Hagrid actually stood and looked at Harry: “No, of course not. He made me tell him about my experience with dangerous animals.”

Draco, who had caught on: “Like what?”

Hagrid bend back down toward the ferocious, baby dragon, feeding it brandy mixed with chicken blood: “I told him about the Thestrals and Aragog. Oh, yeah, and Fluffy of course. I told him that vicious animals usually just need to right approach. Fluffy falls asleep every time he hears music.”

Ron, who was feeling very afraid: “Well, Hagrid, we have to go. Take good care of Norbert.”

Draco: “Bye, Hagrid”

Harry: “We’ll see you soon.”

Norbert turned and blew fire toward them.


As the boys ran toward the castle, Ron exclaimed, “You have got to tell your Dad about this.”


“But we don’t want to get Hagrid in trouble.” Draco was having very mixed feelings about finally meeting a dragon.


“My dad will take care of it without getting Hagrid in trouble. Besides, I think he told Quirrell how to get past Fluffy.”


“I don’t want to be there when you tell him, “ shuddered Ron.


“Me neither,” added Draco.


“That’s fine. You two go revise and I’ll go see my Dad.”


Harry was a bit worried that his father would be angry, but Severus was too pleased  that his son had come to him to be angry. He made Harry promise to stay in their quarters and sent messages to Harry’s friends restricting them to their houses. Then he paid three visits.


His first visit was to Hagrid where he admired Norbert, had some further discussion with Hagrid about how he had obtained the dragon, and convinced the man that Norbert would be better off at a dragon reserve. Hagrid promised to arrange for Norbert to be moved within a week.


His next visit was to Albus Dumbledore. After an argument about his son’s destiny, he found Remus and the two of them headed for the obstacle course that surrounded the stone. Upon arrival in the final chamber they found something they were not expecting. Voldemort, from the back of Quirrell’s head, was trying to convince Harry to produce the stone.


The voice hissed, “GIve me the ssstone, Misssster Potter. If you work with me, we’ll be ssssuperb. We’ll bring your parentssss back from the grave.”


Harry didn’t know what to do. He certainly didn’t want to help Voldemort get a body, but he did like the idea of bringing his Mom and James back to life, but he didn’t really believe Voldemort. Severus and Remus froze. Why was Harry here instead of where he was told to be and how could they rescue him without somebody being killed.


They didn’t have time to respond before Voldemort spoke again. “Timesss up, Missster Potter, Avada Kedrava.”


Harry fell to the ground. Severus and Remus ran forward screaming, “NOOO!”


Meanwhile, Harry was looking around. He seemed to have been transported elsewhere, out in the country with green fields as far as he could see. He spun around and noticed that two people were walking toward him.  He considered running, but there was nowhere to go, so he slowly walked toward them. When they got close, he recognized them. It was his mother and James. He rushed into his mother’s arms and then hugged James, too. “You’re alive?”


“No, honey,” Lily said quietly, her finger tracing the side of her boy’s cheek.


“Am I dead?”


Lily didn’t answer so Harry looked to James. “Probably not.”


“Well then, what’s going on? Is this heaven?”


“No, Harry. This is just a place for us to meet and talk.” She paused, “Let’s sit down and have tea.” A table for three with tea and biscuits appeared in front of them. James pulled out a chair for Lily and then invited Harry to sit down. He did.

James spoke, “Harry, we have some things we want to tell you.”


Lily added, “Yes, Harry. We want you to know how much we love you.”


Harry didn’t respond as he felt tears filling his eyes.


“And Harry,” James added, “We’re so glad that Severus and Remus are raising you. They’re doing a fine job.”


“James knows that Severus is your biological father.”


“And I’m fine with that, but you should know that I’ll always love you, just as much, even though I’m not your biological father.”


“Thanks,” whispered Harry. “I miss you, both of you.” He looked at each of his parents.


“And we miss you,” Lily said.


“But, why am I here? What’s going on?”


“You know how Headmaster Dumbledore is always talking about your destiny?”


“Yes, but Dad.” Harry grimaced just a bit here.


“It’s okay, he’s your Dad.”


“Well, Dad and Uncle Remus said to ignore him.”


“And they were right,” Lily reassured as she lay her hand on top of Harry’s.


“But Albus was sort of right, too,” explained James. Harry tilted his head. “There was just a bit of Voldemort inside of you.”


Harry gasped and started to push back from the table, but Lily grabbed his hand. “It’s okay. It’s gone now.”


“It is?”


“Yes, Voldemort killed it himself when he shot Avada Kedavra at you.”


“Now there’s just one piece of him left. When that piece dies, he’ll be gone forever.”


“That’s good news, but how will he die? He’s on the back of Quirrell’s head.”


“When that piece of his soul leaves Professor Quirrell, it won’t have any place to go and it will dissipate.”


“Huh?”


“It will just disappear.”


“Oh.”


“So, what am I doing here?”


“Oh, Honey.” Lily pulled Harry in for another hug.


“When Voldemort used the Avada Kedavra on you, he didn’t just kill his soul, he killed you, too.”


“But you said that I’m not dead.”


“Well you aren’t really.”


“Sweetie, you have to make a choice. You can go back or stay and go on with us.”


“But, that’s not…”


“I know, it’s not fair, but you should know that time is weird here.”


“Yes, it feels like we’ve only been here a few days, but it’s been years.”


“But, it feels like you’ve been with us for a couple of hours, but it’s only been a few seconds.”


“Would you like to see?” Harry nodded. James pulled a mirror out of his pocket. Harry peered into it and saw the room with the mirror.  His Dad and Uncle were hovered over his body and Quirrell/Voldemort was aiming his wand at them.


“Oh, no.”


“Would you like to go back and warn them?” Lily asked gently.


“Yes, but then I won’t see you anymore.”


“That’s true, but you know we love you and, although it will feel like a long time to you, we’ll see you again, soon.”


Harry hugged both Lily and James tight. “Goodbye, I love you.” Suddenly he was back in the room with the mirror. He sat up suddenly, “Look out.” Remus and Severus both turned and fired spells at Quirrell.  Apparently one cast Alarte Ascendare, while the other cast Incarcerous, because as ropes formed around him, he flew straight up and banged his head on the ceiling. Then he dropped to the ground, where he lay still.


Harry looked at his Dad. “Is he dead?”


“Just knocked out, I think.” Just then a black goo leaked out of Quirrell’s left ear and seeped across the floor toward Harry. Severus grabbed Harry and pulled him away, but the goo, turned and headed for him.


“Wait, Dad. I think that’s Voldemort.”


“I know, move away.”


“No, he can’t get me.” He pulled away from his father and reached toward the goo. Remus and Severus both grabbed at him, but not before the goo touched Harry’s hand. They all stared as it turned into steam and disappeared, leaving a small black stain on the floor. “He’s gone,” Harry said and looked up at his father who looked super angry.


“How dare you touch that! You could have been killed!”


“But I wasn’t. Mum and James told me something like this would happen.”


Just then,  Quirrell groaned. “We have to take care of Quirinius, but rest assured that we will be having a long discussion about this young man.”


Harry just sighed. He was pretty sure his father would listen to him later.

The End.
End Notes:
I know. It ends rather abruptly. Perhaps I'll come back and edit sometime.


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=3395