Today I'm weak, Tomorrow I'll conquer the world by WyL
Summary: Harry and Dudley were raised by muggles. Magic hating muggles at that. When Dudley had begun showing signs of magic at a young age, precious Duddykins had become the dirt upon their shoes, alongside his younger cousin (Little brother) Harry. When both boys were shunned from their meant-to-be protectors, but thrown into the magical world with nothing but each other how will they cope? And what happens when you add that darned Potions professor in the mix?
Categories: Teacher Snape > Trusted Mentor Snape, Teacher Snape > Professor Snape, Parental Snape > Guardian Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Dudley
Snape Flavour: Canon Snape, Snape Comforts, Snape is Angry, Snape is Cruel, Snape is Kind, Snape is Loving, Snape is Stern
Genres: Angst, Drama, Family, Fluff, Hurt/Comfort
Media Type: None
Tags: Abuse Recovery, Adoption, Injured!Harry
Takes Place: 1st summer before Hogwarts, 1st Year
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys, Alcohol Use, Bullying, Eating Disorder, Emotional Abuse, Neglect, Out of Character, Panic attack, Physical Abuse, Physical Punishment Non-Spanking, Profanity, Self-harm, Suicide Themes
Prompts: Dudley At Hogwarts, Cupboard for two?
Challenges: Dudley At Hogwarts, Cupboard for two?
Series: None
Chapters: 6 Completed: No Word count: 7835 Read: 6604 Published: 01 Aug 2021 Updated: 07 Oct 2023
Ollivander, or in Harry's world, Olliscamder. by WyL
Author's Notes:
Umm... It has been *checks watch* almost a year... I can explain...

Harry and Dudley's POV
The first thought that had occurred to them was 'that was strange'. I mean, the boys had lived and existed in this world for a whole eleven years, and yet the act of 'gifting' an item (for Harry and Dudley, may I specify) out of pure annoyance for their curious eyes, well it was simply unheard of. Who in their right mind would waste their money on the scraggly pair? Harry hadn't known what to say, and ended up sputtering an incoherent sentence the man had taken as rude and swiftly escaped. Only after Harry had dragged Dudley away from the store had this been processed in his small brain, however.

"Who was that?" Dudley asked innocently. Harry merely shrugged, still staring onwards at the crammed street. "I don't know, but these looked pretty expensive, I'm glad we didn't have to pay." He snickered cheekily, allowing his childish nature to shine through since he feels less on edge than on the daily.

Only through mere guesswork and deduction had the pair been able to locate somewhere they could convert their money. After stepping in a few shops they had realised the currency was different around here. Dudley assumed their money would easily fund their needs, forty two whole pounds was more money than he could even imagine seeing. (Even if Vernon's telly was two hundred) Harry had no clue.

The bookstore was the easiest, a small run down second hand store suited the brothers better than the new-book smell emitting from the shop across the path, through the queue. An old lady with a funky smell had helped them find some of the books on their list, Harry and Dud had decided they had only really needed one of each copy though, once they realised the books were not as cheap as they expected. They could just sit beside each other in class, they discussed.

"Why are there so many things to get? My arms hurt." Harry whined, his thin arms were not designed to carry a dense cauldron filled with huge books stacked almost to his nose. Dudley was having an easier time of it, though, having the longer-arm advantage. For once he thanked his family for his superior height genes. "It's because it's a magic school Harry, there must be so much more to learn." He responded easily, hiding his snicker behind the books. "If it was really THAT magic, they would just abra-cadabra some books on the spot when we get there." The shorter rolled his eyes as if his point was obvious. Dudley decided he wasn't going to win this argument, and backed down with a mere shake of his head.

DD~HP~DD~HP

They had concluded their trip having picked up over half of their items, the books which were listed, the cauldron which they were given (forcibly), some second hand robes from a dodgy shop nobody seemed to want to approach, and some of the cheaper and smaller items. One shock they had faced was the price of the wands they were supposed to get. Harry thought Ollivander may have been a bit selfish with his prices as he eyed up the shrapnel he carried in his pocket. They had made the decision to acquire wands from a different place or later, since it was just not an option at this point. Maybe the school would even give them spare wands, like Harry and Dudley's old school lent their students PE kit sometimes.

Harry, however, kept reminiscing on the first shop they had entered. The shop where they had been approached by a tall, emo looking man who grunted, groaned, and purchased them a cauldron each. He couldn't think of anything more juxtaposing. It brought a smile to his face, and thought it must have been a lesson not to judge a book by its cover, or in this case, don't judge a cauldron at first glance.
To be continued...


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=3701