You're not in this alone, let me break this awkward silence by Air_Is_Here
Summary: Snape finds Harry in the halls, high out of his mind. Snape could have immediately turned the boy in for suspension, but he didn't. He actually cared about the boy's recovery.
Categories: Teacher Snape > Trusted Mentor Snape, Teacher Snape > Professor Snape Main Characters: Draco
Snape Flavour: Snape Comforts
Genres: Angst, Hurt/Comfort
Media Type: None
Tags: Addicted!Harry
Takes Place: 5th Year
Warnings: Drug use, Profanity, Violence
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: Yes Word count: 4560 Read: 1636 Published: 12 Feb 2022 Updated: 12 Feb 2022
Story Notes:
Hey, this was more of a vent fic than anything, so the scene where he is being restrained is based on my experiences at the mental hospital's adolescents ward, and having to hear people being restrained. It was traumatizing for me, and it might also be not so fun to read about?

This is unbeta'd, so if there is a mistake, please let me know!

1. You're not in this alone, let me break this awkward silence by Air_Is_Here

You're not in this alone, let me break this awkward silence by Air_Is_Here
Harry blinks slowly. The world was spinning in every direction it possibly could. His head felt light, empty, almost as if his brain had been emptied out and filled with helium. He smiles and laughs a little. This was like flying- no, this was better than flying! There was no way Harry would ever give this feeling up again. He hadn’t felt this good since 3rd year when he had tried smoking pot.

His days of smoking pot were long gone. It just wasn’t the same rush as Heroin, even if it was easier to prepare. Harry felt happy, he felt warm, comfortable, he had felt safe during his drug-induced states, no matter the circumstances.

No matter if Hermoine was screaming at him, crying, begging him to reply properly, begging him to quit, on her knees pleading that he get help. He had just laughed that time. He had laughed when Ron broke into tears, telling Harry that he needed to stop before he would completely lose himself. He laughed when they had both attempted an intervention. He really, for lack of better wording, did not give a fuck.

Harry sat on the cold floor, his back against the cobblestone wall. He carelessly tossed his lighter towards the rest of his items on the floor. Not a thing could matter right now, and that was the freest feeling Harry had ever felt. Between being destined to fight some no-nosed man and juggling school with the trauma he had endured with the Dursleys, he craved the supposed freedom that dope had given him time and time again.

Harry was so wrapped around his own thoughts, giggling to himself and chewing on his shirt collar to notice that someone was towering over him.

Harry’s Potion’s Professor looks at him with disgust, giving him a little kick with his shoe, almost as if the teen was something stuck to his shoe. Harry looks up slowly.

“I assume you know that Hogwarts does not tolerate the use of illicit drugs on campus, correct?” Snape gets down to Potter’s level, sneering at him.

The boy just giggles. “Oh trust me, I know. But I needed something, Snape! I neeeeeeeded this.” Harry giggles, and then crosses his arms. “I never get a break around here! It’s so tiring. I’m tired, I might be tired, I don’t know I have no want to sleep. I mean, how would you feel if your whole childhood was being a human punching bag, and then finding out that people only care for you because you gotta defeat some dude who looks long dead?” Harry goes on pouting, saying whatever comes to his mind.

“Under every circumstance, this activity would result in a suspension under pending investigation, followed with a council meeting regarding whether you’d be expelled or not.” Snape explains. “However, I doubt kicking you out would do you any good with your…” Snape grimaces “... Situation.” he gestures to the lighter, dime bag, used needle, and the metal spoon gathered messily on the floor. “For now, you are coming with me. The sight of a high student in the school halls is not a pleasant one. Madam Pomfrey, Dumbledore, and your head of house will be notified. In the meantime, you will be staying with me. There is no doubt you will shoot up again if I don’t interfere now.” he sighs, helping the boy up, grabbing his bony wrist.

Harry was both confused as to why he was being picked up by his professor, but he was happy to be off the ground. Or was it the other way around? The boy wasn’t too sure. By the time he finished thinking about being picked up off the ground, he had already arrived at Snape’s quarters.

“Sit here. I’ll be right back after fire calling the headmaster and Madam Pomfrey.” Snape commands, propping the confused Gryffindor against the couch as he stared off.

Harry just looked off into the distance, staring wide-eyed at the mantle that was lit about a yard and a half away from him. Harry stared at the fire, his mouth open as if this was the first time he had ever seen a fireplace, let alone fire. Harry had forgotten to blink, and tears subconsciously wet his face as they fell. Eventually, he blinked, but by the time that had happened, 6 minutes had passed, and his eyes were somewhat stinging.

“Madam Pomfrey has advised me not to give you any potions to aid this process… we will be doing this the muggle way.” Snape sighs, explaining slowly. Harry just nods, not even 30% aware of what he was agreeing to.

“I wonder if wizarding dry shampoo exists.” Harry giggles out, pointing at Snape’s hair. The Professor just balls his fists and takes a few deep breaths. Harry was not in the right mindset anyways, but that didn’t mean that Snape wouldn’t pretend to kiss Malfoy’s ass in order to get payback on the boy.

Speaking of other students, Snape wondered if Ron and Hermoine knew about Harry’s addiction since they would likely accuse him of locking the boy in the dungeons. Maybe Severus would tell them that they were too late; that Potter had already been cooked into a mind dulling potion or something of the sort.

Snape sighs once more. If only morning would come earlier to spare him so that he would be able to dump his arch nemesis’s offspring to Minerva, and make it her problem instead.

However, the Potion’s Professor knew that if he did this, he would feel guilty in some part of his ink-stained heart. Minerva already had enough on her hands, and Severus saw no need to add more to that. She would still be notified of the event, but she wouldn’t be left to deal with it.

—-Timeskip 1 day later—-

Harry screams, it wasn’t a scream of terror, it was a scream of misery and anger. “Give it the fuck back, right now you greasy bastard!” Harry yells. He looks just about ready to punch Snape. Snape shook his head no, but all that did was make Harry angrier. The teen lunges towards his professor and Snape grabs him, and knees him in the stomach on reflex, causing the boy to cough and sputter, clutching his stomach.

“I apologize for my defense methods, but you can’t continue making attempts to hurt me. This is the 3rd time today you have tried that. If it happens again I will restrain you.” Snape explains, his voice was harsh.

“Fuck you.” Harry spits out. “Fuck you and your house. You prick, I hate you. I hate you. I hate you. I hope you die a painful death.” Harry screams, rising again and lunging at Severus.

“Petrificus Totalus.” Snape draws his wand quickly. He had put a full-body bind on the boy, grabbing him and hoisting him upwards. Severus rushes out of his quarters, apparently rushing so fast that he had bumped into a student.

“Professor? Why are you carrying that filth?” Draco laughs out meanspiritedly. He takes a closer look at Harry for a second, expecting an angered face, but instead sees a blank, somewhat dead-looking face. Draco does a double-take, looking horrified. “Is he dead?!” he questions, fear filling his eyes.

“No, I would never go so far as to kill a student.” Snape rolls his eyes. Time was ticking, the spell would wear off soon if the boy kept this up.

“Then what happened to him? I won’t leave until I get an answer.” Draco crosses his arms. Of course, the nosy Slytherin always insisted to be a brat.

“I do not have time for this, if you wish to accompany me in the hospital wing, be my guest. This doesn’t mean I will tell you what happens.” Snape pushes past the boy, rushing towards the hospital wing.

“Oh! Professor Snape!” She greets, then looks at the paralyzed boy, horrified.

“Not now Poppy.” Severus says, obviously frustrated. “I need you to show me where you keep your restraints. I will not answer any questions until afterward. I have no intention to harm Mr. Potter, however, the boy keeps trying to harm himself and others.” Severus explains quickly, dropping Harry onto a bare black bed with a wooden frame located towards the back of the infirmary, an area completely curtained off.

The mediwitch goes towards a cupboard high up, taking out arm restraints and leg restraints. Severus takes it and puts it around the designated areas on the bed, connecting the restraints to the looped straps that were connected to the bottom of the bed.

Snape quickly slips Harry’s wrists into cuff-like restraints and tightens them so he couldn’t slip out of them. He then repeats this process with his ankles. Lastly, Severus pulls a strap across the teen’s torso, connecting it to the other side of the bed. He then reverses the spell.

“What the actual fuck.” Harry screams and then laughs. “I hope you rot, I hope you rot in hell!” harry attempts to get up and kick Severus, but the restraints kept him locked in place.

“You’re just going to let him say this?” Draco gives his professor a wide-eyed look.

“He’s not in the right mind.” the Potions Professor sighs.

“Not in the right mind?” Harry smiles. “Oh, Severus, I was in the right mind! And you took it away from me. You took it all away. Do you want me to kill myself, you bastard? Do you want me to kill myself? Because that’s what I would have done if I had stayed like that, and you want me like that! You want me dead, you want me hurt!” he grits his teeth, struggling against the restraints once again.

“Is he under some sort of dark curse?” Draco whispers.

“No, it’s not that bad, but about 2 notches down.” Snape pinches the bridge of his nose. “If Harry’s willing to tell you what happened, he will.”.

“Oi! Potter!” Draco shouts at the boy. “What happened to you?” he demands, expecting an answer.

“I’m coming back to reality Malfoy. Oh, I bet you’re enjoying it, aren’t you! Watching poor little Potter suffer. Just give me the Dragon back! Just give it back. I’ll have lived, I’m still alive, I was happy. That dungeon bat just likes to hurt me.” the Gryffindor shouts back.

“Dragon? Like an actual one?” Draco whispers to his Head of House.

“No, it’s a street name for an illicit drug. You mustn’t tell anyone, not even your best friends.” Severus explains.

“Oh… So he’s going through withdrawals?” Draco put’s two and two together. “I won’t tell anyone.” he whispers.

“Good. Now run off before I take points for being so damn pesky.” Snape sighs, and Draco rushes out of the infirmary. “Mr. Potter, I will not allow you to go back to doing such drugs. I do believe you can beat this, even if you think that I am doing all of this to hurt you. Your judgment is clouded, and I have no doubt that you will come to your senses soon enough. This could, however, take from 3 days to a week.”.

Harry attempts to lift his arm to flip his Potions Professor off. Snape sighs, and closes the curtains around Potter.

“Poppy, if he starts screaming, let him. Do not enter that area until he has stopped screaming. If he asks to be let out of restraints and is calm enough, notify me before you let him go.” Snape explains, sighing. “I’ll see you later Poppy. Thank you.” He gives her a small sad smile, and then leaves the infirmary.

—-Timeskip—-

Harry was shaking, on the verge of tears. “Please miss, I promise I’ll be good, just let me out. Please, I don’t like this.” Harry begs the mediwitch.

“I know dear, I know. We just have to wait for Professor Snape to get up here. I already talked to him through his fireplace. He should be here soon.” The mediwitch does her best to comfort the boy.

It took Severus a few minutes before he actually ended up making it to the Hospital Wing. Madam Pomfrey motions him to come towards the two.

“You wish to be freed of your restraints?” Snape questions, though it’s more of a statement. Harry nods eagerly.

“I’m so sorry for what I said earlier and attacking you. I wasn’t thinking.” Harry whispers, tears slowly falling down his face. “I’m so cold, I feel so cold, but then I’m so warm, an unbearable warm, back to freezing cold.” he explains. It also explained why Harry now had a blanket over himself. The Potions Professor just sighs, removing the blanket to reveal Harry’s somewhat vomit-stained shirt. He then loosens the restraints, helping the trembling boy slip out of them.

“Poppy, is he okay to head down to my quarters again?” Snape asks her, and she nods.

“You will have to be very cautious about it. He will be very sick for some time. You might want to hand him a change of clothes, as well as some food. Listen to me Severus, you need to be gentle with him.” Poppy demands firmly. Severus nods and helps the boy up.

“You will be carried by me towards the dungeons once more. Is it okay if I put my hands on you, so I can carry you? If not, I’m sure levitating you wouldn’t be too bad, however, it is not recommended during periods of time where the receiving end is nauseous and sick.” the Potions Professor explains softly.

“I’d rather not have to throw up due to another reason. Carrying me is fine.” the teen says weakly, and Snape picks the boy up, scooping him from his legs and making it so the Gryffindor could put an arm around his shoulder. They both continue towards the dungeons, and Harry says a small ‘thank you’ to Snape, to which the Slytherin Head of House nodded subconsciously. In reality, Snape was more concerned about how cold the boy’s fingers were.

Once they reach Snape’s quarters, he sighs, setting the boy down on the Professor’s green couch.

“Stay right here, I will bring you a change of clothing.” Snape orders, going towards his bedroom.

Snape pulls out an oversized sweater, a long sleeve shirt, and a change of pants, to which Snape had shrunken down. He takes the clothes back to the couch, and Hands them to Harry.

“Thank you, sir.” Harry whispers, moving towards Snape’s bathroom to change. Once Harry changes, he looks at himself in the mirror for a few seconds. His face was hollowed out from what he could see. His vision was blurring in and out, so given, what he saw wasn’t much.

When he walks out of the restroom Snape motions for him to sit back on the couch, and Harry listens.

“You’ve been following my commands too closely. No argument, talkback, anything. Is there a reason for this?” Snape questions, his voice showing no bite.

Harry mumbles something, Looking away from his Professor.

“I didn’t quite catch that. Would you mind repeating it louder?” Snape prods cautiously.

“I said, I don't want to be restrained again.” Harry trembles as he speaks.

“Harry, Look at me.” Severus speaks softly, and Harry understands that this wasn’t a request. “I promise I won’t restrain you, as long as you promise not to attempt to hurt me. You will not be restrained for disobeying me. The only reason you had been restrained is that you had been violent and attempted to hurt me.” Severus explains, and the boy tears up.

“Is there any easy way out of this? I need this, I need this, I need this.” He repeats, almost as if it were his mantra.

“I’m afraid you will just have to deal with it. Over the next few days, it will be challenging to keep up with the symptoms of withdrawal, both mental and physical.” the professor explains, still talking softly. “I’ll be here the whole time. I promise. You aren’t the first…” Severus made sure to choose his words carefully. “You aren’t the first student with an Addiction that I’ve come across.” he decides upon his words, clearing his throat.

“I’m sorry if this is off-topic, but I’m hungry.” Harry looks down, embarrassed to admit this. Snape blinks a few times.

“Oh.” the Professor felt dumb for forgetting that teenage boys need food too. They were not like fish, you couldn’t feed them once a day and say it was enough food to keep him healthy. “I suppose I could get you something to eat. I’ll get a house-elf to bring us both dinner.

“Thank you, sir.” Harry whispers gratefully.

—----Timeskip—----

Perhaps eating was a bad idea on Harry’s part, as not soon after the Gryffindor found himself on his knees, clutching the toilet in Snape’s quarters, retching violently. The Potions Professor stood at the doorframe, unsure of what to do or say.

Harry stopped puking, his breath labored, his face stained with tears. He let go of the toilet bowl to rub his throat, which felt like it was burning.

Big mistake, Harry put his hands back on the toilet and threw up more, almost choking on his vomit as he coughed. Snape approaches the boy, kneeling next to him.

“Easy now Harry, it’s okay, it’ll be okay.” Severus whispers to him, rubbing circles in his back as he shudders, dry heaving.

“I shouldn’t have eaten.” The boy croaks out as he proceeds to lie on the cold floor. It felt so good against the sick teen’s face, which was feverishly warm. He shut his eyes, hearing his heartbeat screaming at him, making his head hurt worse.

“Do you want a stomach soother or a nutrient potion?” Snape offers. Harry just groans and shakes his head no. Severus carefully lifted the boy off the ground, knowing the boy wouldn’t get up on his own. Snape carries the boy into his room, and onto his bed.

The Potions Professor soon changes his own clothes, lying down next to the boy, who had already clocked out for the night. He gave Harry a brief hug, feeling it was appropriate considering the circumstances.

Soon enough, Severus went to sleep.

—----Timeskip—----

When Harry wakes up, his Professor is still asleep. Harry glances at the analog clock in the room, barely making out the time with how dark it was in the room. The clock read 3:27.

The Gryffindor noticed the pit feeling in his stomach as if something was going to go wrong. The teen had also awoken with the feeling that the pit would go away if he could get high somehow.

Harry tiptoes out of bed, opening the drawers in Snape’s room, only finding the contents inside to be boring old relics or empty drawers.

“Where is it?” Harry mumbled to himself, shaking as his heart beats faster. The only thoughts in his head were the ones plagued by his addiction, thoughts that told him that Dope would be the only thing he needed.

The teen moves onto the living room, pretty much tearing sections of the room apart and then putting them back in place. Harry checked for loose floorboards too, however, was unsuccessful in his findings.

Harry then moves to the kitchen, looking through the kitchen drawers, his heart pounding with his urges. Harry looks towards the knife holder sitting next to the Potions Master’s sink. He takes a knife out, or at least attempts to before he accidentally drops it.

Within 10 seconds, Snape is in front of him, arms crossed over his torso. Harry doesn’t even notice him, as the teen is too busy looking at the knife, the knife on the floor. The clanging of it hitting the floor was still in the boy’s head, along with his heartbeat which managed to be felt in his head. Harry didn’t realize he was shaking as if he had been standing in the rain for an hour.

“What is the meaning of this?” Snape demands an answer, and Harry snaps his head upwards, looking at his professor, wide-eyed. Harry hadn’t understood anything that came out of Snape’s mouth, it felt so underwater.

“I needed it.” He mumbles regardless of what his professor’s question was. “Merlin, I need it more than I did yesterday, please, I need it.” Harry runs his hands through his hair.

“I won’t give it to you. I don’t have it anymore anyways.” Snape replies smoothly. The boy’s eyes widen farther, which the older man hadn’t thought was possible. Harry shook his head in denial.

“No, no no no! It’s not possible.” He laughs, panic-ridden. “No, you couldn’t have.” he whispers as if he was trying to convince himself that.

“It’s the truth, Harry. I got rid of it.” Severus informs.

“No!” Harry laughs, it’s almost a scream at this point. His face changes quickly to a horrified look. “No…. no no no no…” he mumbles, pulling at his fingers.

“Why don’t we sit down?” Snape offers, grabbing the teen’s hand and leading him to the couch. The boy was still mumbling his denials. Snape could feel the boy shaking and he moves his hand to Harry’s back.

“I need it.” Harry sobs. He wasn’t an overly emotional boy, but lately, it seemed that he had been reduced to nothing but pleas and begging.

“Sit up straight. Deep breaths. Is there anyone you wish for me to get you? Perhaps Madam Pomfrey?” the Potions Master speaks softly, trying not to scare the boy.

“Malfoy. Get me Malfoy.” Harry squeezes his eyes shut.

Severus had many questions, questions he did not ask Harry. “I’ll be back soon.” Snape gets up, and walks out of his quarters, silently praying that the brunet wouldn’t attempt to do something stupid in the absence of the man’s presence. Snape walks to the Boy’s dormitories, standing above Draco’s bed for a few seconds, deciding how he should go about the situation. He shook the Malfoy lightly, hoping nobody else would wake up at the moment.

“Stop nagging me, I’ll wake when I find out Madonna is single, which will be never.” Draco mumbles, his eyes still fully shut.

“I do not wish to hear about your teenage fantasies Mr. Malfoy.” Snape shakes the boy to wake up.

“Huh?” Draco mumbles sleepily. Once he opens his eyes a bit, he notices the vague outline of Snape in his vision, he shoots up. “Professor! What time is it?” Draco panics.

“It’s nearly 3:45. You are needed in my quarters.” Severus explains while quickly yanking the blond out of his bed and dragging him down to his quarters.

“Potter?” Draco looks at him shocked at the state he was in. The boy on the couch was wringing his hands, pulling them apart, shaking them, and wringing them again.

“I assume he just wanted company. Perhaps I can grab you both something small to eat?” Snape offers. Draco declines politely, sitting next to Harry.

“No no no no no, too close, too close, too close.” Harry’s voice comes out rushed and all in one breath. Draco scoots a bit farther from the boy wordlessly.

“You’re going to make your hands sore if you continue gripping at them like that.” Draco points out as he grabs a quill off the table. “Try holding this and gripping it. It should probably have a better texture than your sweaty hands.” Draco explains, unsure if his actions were the right move for Harry.

Snape comes back into the room with various types of cheese cubes in a bowl. “My apologies for waking you at such an inconvenient hour Mr. Malfoy.” Snape hands him the cheese bowl,

“It’s alright… Professor, can’t you just give him a calming draught?” Draco asks uneasily. It was disturbing to watch the boy panic.

“Unfortunately, it’s possible that he may get addicted to that as well as it provides a similar comfort.” Snape explains. The man turns back to Harry, “Remember to regulate your breathing Potter. You don’t need drugs, you’ll be fine, just wait it out.” Severus attempts to comfort the boy the best he can.

Harry clenches his jaw, and sucks in a breath, exhaling it quickly, and sucking another breath in. Draco’s presence offers a silent comfort, as Draco inches closer to the boy.

The blond put his arm around Harry, squeezing his shoulder lightly and letting go. The boys were not friends, and Draco was determined to keep it that way. However, the Slytherin teen wasn’t so ignorant to leave the Potter boy in such a terrible state, no matter what they had fought over. “It’ll be okay. Professor Snape is right.” Draco murmurs and Harry nods lightly in understanding.

The two sit like that for a few more minutes, until Harry finally goes back into a somewhat calm state. The two sit in silence, slowly eating cheese.

“I’m sorry for waking you up. I just needed someone, anyone who knew to be there.” Harry blurts out, looking away from Draco, somewhat ashamed by his actions,

“Oh.” Draco didn’t expect an apology. “It’s fine, I didn’t mind.” Draco replies awkwardly. “Well, I should get going. Tomorrow I have classes.” Draco mumbles. Snape leads him out and back to his room. Harry hears the faint talk of Draco being excused from his first and second morning classes.

—----Timeskip—-----

When Harry woke up once more, he had a headache. The worst of the symptoms had passed, now it was just shivers, headaches, and cold flashes.

“How are you feeling?” Snape asks as Harry gets up.

Harry just mumbles something about having a headache. Snape nods.

“It’s going to get better Harry. Trust me. When you feel like using again, please come to someone trusted, madam Pomfrey, your Head of House, hell, even me. Though, I feel like you may also need to see a mind healer, to talk about everything going on. It might prove to be beneficial.” Snape smiles lightly, a sight that Harry was not used to.

“What? A mind healer, I’m not crazy!” Harry protests.

“I never called you that. Besides, it’s more common than you think.” Snape explains.

“Fine.” Harry mumbles, still slightly unhappy about seeing a stranger about his issues.

“Very well then, let's eat. Perhaps you’ll be able to stomach a little more.” Snape claps his hands together, and a house-elf brings 2 plates.

They both eat in silence, Severus slightly happier at Harry’s progress, even if it was only the first step.
The End.
End Notes:
Thanks for reading! Lmk how I did (but don't be too harsh, cuz it's still a vent fic!)


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=3760