Whatever It Takes by SanctuaryAngel
Summary: Taking place directly after the Battle of Hogwarts, Harry is trying to deal with his trauma from the course of the events of the war and struggles to confront it, along with trying to manage his grief. Snape survived but disappeared in shame and remorse after the battle. Harry finds him, and they both discover that they have more in common now more than ever - Both are struggling with their sense of self and purpose. But stray Death Eaters from the battle are re-grouping for a final stand to take out the great Harry Potter, and their traitor, and Harry and Snape must put aside their differences to end the fight once and for all, whilst dealing with Snapes' illness along the way. Explores darker themes of grief, self-blame, PTSD, depression, and suicidal ideation.
Categories: Misc > No category on the site fits Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Arthur, Draco, Fred George, Ginny, Hermione, Luna, McGonagall, Molly, Narcissa, Neville, Ron
Snape Flavour: Snape Comforts, Snape is Depressed, Snape is Desperate, Snape is Stern
Genres: Action/Adventure, Angst, Drama, General, Hurt/Comfort, Tragedy
Media Type: None
Tags: Abuse Recovery, Depression Recovery, Injured!Snape
Takes Place: 8 - Post Hogwarts (young adult Harry)
Warnings: Character Death, Eating Disorder, Panic attack, Self-harm, Suicide Themes, Torture, Violence
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 65 Completed: Yes Word count: 443363 Read: 40306 Published: 01 Feb 2023 Updated: 02 Sep 2023
CH 56: Trial & Error, Part 2 by SanctuaryAngel

There was nothing worse than bearing witness to an already beaten and broken man, admit to his own crimes before a courtroom.

Harry felt incredibly intrusive sitting within the stands among his friends, listening to the statements given by Severus Snape. His ex-Professor. A past enemy. An ally. Someone he had eventually learned to know and understand on a deeper level. A part of him felt like he shouldn't be here because he knew the man wouldn't want all those who know him, hear every fault and mistake within his life. But Harry knew that for Severus to have even an inkling of a chance, he had to be there. There was no mistaking the role Harry had to play, and the duty that was heaved upon him to do his best to free this man from further torment. Severus had enough which plagued his mind, and a trial to judge his possibility of freedom, was enough to send everyone who knows him on edge.

A part of Harry felt like maybe they should have kept his whereabouts hidden. But for each time Severus ventured away from safety, he risked being caught and thrown directly into Azkaban without mercy, much like Sirius did before him. Fleeing would further admit his guilt, and as much as he knew Severus was tempted to do so, this was the best avenue for the both of them. Facing a trial on his own accord at least gave him a sliver of hope. But considering how many people were willing to defend him, there was a chance that they could save his life in more ways than one. As long as they didn't commit him to Azkaban, then that outcome would be far better.

He knew Severus was feeling all sorts of shame and remorse from his misdeeds and the disastrous choices he made and had to make. To expose every part of yourself in front of a full court of strangers and friends, would be his own hell. He spent so many years keeping himself locked away and masked, that it must have felt like a plastered bandage being ripped away from a fresh wound. And to make matters worse, being vehemently accused by strangers who knew nothing of his life, or his sacrifices for the Wizarding World, made Harry feel incredibly angry and disappointed. Severus did not need to be further kicked to the ground – he was suffering enough. Harry could tell by the way the man's voice wavered ever so slightly in his responses, and his lips twitching in nervous anticipation. Severus was clearly rattled by the hostile commotion within the courtroom. Harry was certain he expected it to happen, but it didn't make enduring it any easier. He could only hope that he was using Occlumency to keep himself from completely losing his marbles.

He was thankful at least, that Severus had more support than he imagined. Harry has rounded up the entire DA – including Seamus, surprisingly – to sit within the stands. The entire courtroom was full of people, many of whom Harry did not recognise. The seats were completely filled, and there were even some who found places to stand, completely over-filling the room's capacity. He noticed some strangers shooting Severus filthy, darkened gazes, and some whispered harshly amongst themselves. There were obviously many hostile people within the room, waiting for opportunities to further drive the knife already within Severus. But besides those strangers, Harry had his own friends by his side. The entire Weasley family, minus Charlie, was present. A lot of the Hogwarts faculty were there also, including McGonagall of course, Sprout, Flitwick, Slughorn, Pomfrey, and even Sinistra, Pince, and Trelawney. Hagrid had also made his appearance, occupying a large space on the other end. Some of the other Hogwarts students and their parents were present, too, whom Harry recognised spanning over several years below and above his years.

It appears the news of the trial spread like wildfire, and many people made the effort to show up. After all, the trial of Severus Snape was once of the most important trials of the Second Wizarding War.

Ginny sat beside him, grasping his hand throughout the ordeal. Harry was sure he was masking the uneasy expression on his face but given the number of times Ginny had squeezed his hand back, he realised it was a poor attempt. He didn't realise how nervous he would become, as he listened to the familiar lecture-like drawl from his ex-Professor. Hearing him speak of his actions in this way was unnerving, and he was unsure how to feel about that. He knew deep down that Severus was not the same man who took the Dark Mark. He knew he was not the same man who harshly condemned Harry in his first Potions lesson. He knew he was not the same man who fearfully returned to Voldemort's side in his fifth year to resume his role as a spy upon Dumbledore's orders. So much has changed since, and that was already what Harry was aware of. Despite the memories the man shared with him in desperation, even Harry was still ignorant of what he truly did and the extent of the risks he took.

Surely the Council will not judge a man on his past crimes when he worked tirelessly behind the scenes to fool and help bring down the enemy. There had to be some measure of leniency and understanding of the dangerous role he had to play. If they didn't, Harry would be damn sure to let them hear it. After all, he was living proof that both Dumbledore and Severus performed their jobs well. Despite the obvious moral dilemmas, they did what they could with the poor hand they were dealt with. As much as Harry resented some of Dumbledore's reasonings, he eventually came to understand that what he did, was for the good of the wizarding world. However, it was Severus who still had his best interests within his mind. All Harry could think about was the conversation between the two older wizards in regard to Harry's impending death. Seeing Severus shocked by the revelation, was enough for Harry to feel sympathy for his old Potion's teacher. He spent years ensuring Harry's life, for him to be told that he had to die. Harry could at least appreciate Severus' reaction to the daft plan.

Severus was not a cold-blooded killer. Not unless he could avoid it. He knew, even during their time at the Misty Dell, that Severus wanted no part in the killings. Hence why he opted for the more reserved role of a spy. It just made Harry a little saddened to know that Severus had no choice in the murder of Albus Dumbledore. He could tell, even know, that Severus was repulsed with himself by the very act. Harry could not bear to imagine what was running through his mind on that night, and yet Harry felt mad within himself for not knowing any better.

Or really, the truth.

He wanted to murder Severus himself on that night and was willing to turn his own gruesome spell against him. Like his own father had done in their youth. Harry was sickened with himself.

As the trial went on, Harry noticed Severus faltering slightly as his health began to plummet once again. He had an inkling that it was bound to happen, but the trial was taking a heavy emotional toll. Severus did his best to self-medicate with his own potions at home to get him through, but they could only work so far. Occasionally, Harry noticed the man wincing in pain and his breathing began to irregulate once more as he spoke to the Council. There wasn't anything Harry could do but wait and watch and hope that the Healer would be able to help him when needed. But moments before he was whisked away, his nose began to bleed again, dripping down the front of his black suit. Harry was thankful that they were able to call a break. The entire ordeal of the trial was difficult for everyone, especially after the hostility that erupted already within the courtroom.

Minerva McGonagall sat on the opposite side to him, tapping her hands nervously against her legs. She looked sullen, as she turned to Harry and whispered, "Oh, poor Severus doesn't need this. He has enough on his mind already. I hope Kingsley can work in his favor…I hate seeing him in this way."

Harry nodded, crinkling his brows, "…Yeah. I was hoping they'd go easy on him with the questioning, but I guess they decided to go a little more…brutal."

"Well, unless you are able to bring Albus back from the dead, then I assure you – My word, tainted with Veritaserum, is all you have."

Harry listened to Severus' pleas…

…Wait. Of course! Oh, I'm such an idiot!

With a sudden triumphant grin, Harry fished inside his usual jeans and clasped his hand over the familiar, cold jagged stone. The Resurrection Stone – He still carried it with him. However, he could not guarantee that Dumbledore would be summoned by his hand. The Stone calls upon loved ones, and he wasn't quite sure if the old Headmaster would qualify as someone that close. Harry frowned for a moment, in deep thought. It needed to be used by someone who was far closer to Albus Dumbledore than he was. The only problem is, would Dumbledore be seen amongst the others in the room? He wasn't sure if those summoned spirits could become corporeal enough for others to see. Remembering from his own use in the forest, he was alone when he used it. His parents, Sirius and Remus were there, but they kept themselves invisible to others. Harry could only hope that it was a choice of the Stone – The Council would value Dumbledore's direct word, and he never wanted to see Dumbledore so desperately then they did at that moment.

His eyes then drifted towards McGonagall's nervous taps beside him.

As soon as the trial called upon a recess, Harry turned to the Headmistress, "Professor, take this." He thrust the small, black engraved stone towards the elderly woman, who looked taken aback by Harry's seemingly strange request.

McGonagall looked quizzically at Harry as if he'd gone mad, then back at the Stone, "What in heaven's name is this?"

"Just take it. Trust me – I think this will work. It has to."

The woman glanced hesitantly at the Stone, and slowly retrieved it, eyeing it with intriguing curiosity, "Mr. Potter, I do not understand. What exactly am I holding?"

"I'll explain later. All you have to do is turn it thrice within your hand and think of…Well, Professor Dumbledore."

McGonagall's grey-blue eyes grew wide, "Potter…What madness is this? This is not a place for parlor tricks."

At that moment Severus was escorted away by Aurors, just before Harry took a glimpse at the man's shattered demeanor behind those dark, pained eyes. Drops of blood were cascading down from his nose, and onto his chest, staining some of the white remaining on his collar. Their eyes met ever so briefly before Severus shamefully looked away and disappeared from view as he was led out of the room.

Molly Weasley leaned close to Harry from the seat behind, and spoke with a concerned whisper, "He looks terrible – Harry, is he alright? He looks far worse than the last time I saw him. Severus appears close to toppling over…Far thinner than he was…"

Harry shook his head dismally, unable to respond. Now was not the time to discuss Severus' ill health when his freedom was on the line, but he was sure Molly could tell that he was not well to some degree. He could sense that Molly knew that he was not going to divulge that information, but he heard her shuffle back within the chair instead. She wasn't the only one concerned, too. There were whispers and murmurs around the courtroom, as they must have had the same train of thoughts as Molly. Severus did his best to mask his ailments, but even Harry knew that it was no use. He glanced over sourly towards Rita Skeeter who was still madly scribbling away with her infamous magical quill. She was the last person he had any desire to deal with, and he mused if Hermione were about to trap her back into a glass jar again within her Animagus form. In all fairness, Harry had hoped she would go ahead with that plan again because he didn't fancy going up against her once again.

Post-war Harry was not so forgiving.

When twenty minutes flew by, Severus was escorted back into the courtroom with his Aurors and Healer in tow, who bound him magically back to the chair once again. Severus appeared wary, exhausted, and frustrated. His face devoured of all color against his unhealthy sunken skin. The man's face grimaced, and Harry knew the potions to dull his pain were losing effect. He was quickly losing his energy, and Harry could only hope this trial would speed up. He was yet to take the stand, along with several others. Harry glanced over to the other side of the courtroom to see Draco Malfoy sitting alone. He was constantly looking down at his hands, unable to look at anyone else, even his Godfather. He knew that Severus was not the only point of interest in the room, and many eyes darted over to the infamous son of Lucius Malfoy, who was loyal to Voldemort for decades.

Eventually, once the room settled again, the Judge re-appeared back to his podium.

"Recess is over. Now to resume the trial of Severus Snape, in which we will call forth several individuals for questioning. Those elected, have agreed to be administered Veritaserum upon said questioning, " The Judge spoke loud and clear, as his eyes swept around the room, "I will call out the witnesses, in no particular order. Once called, you will rise and occupy the witness stand. The first elected person to stand in the defense of Severus Snape is Draco Malfoy."

All eyes darted to Draco, who looked up a little anxiously upon his name. He rose slowly and cautiously, as he avoided meeting anyone else's eyes in the room. Once he reached the stand, he sat down and waited until the Veritaserum was administered to him. Draco gave a light sneer and heaved a sigh, tapping his fingers nervously upon the podium in front of him looking fed up already.

"Mr. Draco Malfoy – Would you please address the Council as to your relations with Mr. Severus Snape?" The Judge continued.

Draco tensed his jaw, "Severus Snape is my Godfather. He's known me since I was a baby, and he's been friends with my dad since school. He was also my Professor, and Head of Slytherin House at Hogwarts, for seven years."

"And were you ever made aware of his defection from the Death Eaters?"

Draco shook his head, "No. I had no idea. He's been loyal to the Malfoy family for the last twenty years, and I never suspected differently."

Elphias leaned forward, "Mr. Malfoy, as stated in your own trial recently, you took the Dark Mark under duress from Tom Riddle to plot the murder of Albus Dumbledore. Was Severus Snape privy to that mission?"

"Eventually, he did. He took the Unbreakable Vow with my mother for my protection to take over if I couldn't do it. Thing is, he was not aware of what my mission was. He offered to help, but I turned him down because…I thought I could manage. The Dark Lor – HE – would have killed my parents and me if I sought help from another. Besides, I wanted to prove myself to my family, but I soon realised it was an impossible task…I couldn't do it."

"Was there any point in time where you doubted Mr. Snape's loyalties?"

Draco clenched his jaw, "No, never. As I said, he's always been loyal to my family, and to Voldemort. I had no doubts. All I knew was that he worked as a spy within the Order, but the entire time, I thought he was on our side – The Death Eaters."

"Have you ever sat in Death Eater meetings with him?"

Draco sighed, then proceeded to nod several times, "Yeah, many times – Especially when Voldemort thought it would be a great idea to take up residence at Malfoy Manor. We sat many meetings together. The last one I remember was the night that Charity Burbage was killed."

"Can you elaborate on that meeting?"

Harry watched as Draco rubbed his hands on his thighs, appearing lost in his own thoughts. He was about to discuss what happened with Professor Burbage – neither of them knew what had happened to her, except Severus and Draco. Harry would rather not know. There was a thick silence throughout the room, as it felt like everyone collectively held their breath.

"Professor Burbage was captured and held at Malfoy Manor, where she was constantly tortured with the Cruciatus Curse. Voldemort mocked her for being Muggleborn and teaching Muggle Studies, so he used the Killing Curse on her, and then ordered his snake, Nagini, to…devour her. He made us all watch – " Draco appeared repulsed, grimacing with distaste, " – There was nothing left of her."

Harry's eyes darted to Severus' in the center, who had since cast his eyes to the floor. He, too, looked as disgusted as Draco did. The man's hands were shaking within his magical constraints, but it was clear to the Gryffindor that Severus was trying to shift that memory from his mind. This must have happened shortly after the death of Dumbledore. At the same time, there were small gasps and whispers in the room.

Griselda interjected from Elphias, "Was Mr. Snape present at that particular meeting?"

Draco nodded, "Yes."

"And what exactly did he do?"

Draco frowned, "Well, nothing. What could anyone possibly do? Any move to stop the killing and Voldemort would not have hesitated to slaughter the lot of us. He was unable to do a damn thing. The only alternative was death, so he stayed silent. Like we were conditioned to do."

"What are your thoughts on Severus Snape now, after learning about his defection against Tom Riddle?"

Draco looked up, and locked eyes with his Godfather, "At…At first I was shocked. I felt betrayed and…I supposed, abandoned. I didn't know what to think. Now, after learning the truth…I have a new measure of respect for him. Facing Voldemort all this time, while lying about his loyalties directly to his face – a master Occlumens and Legilimens – is admirable. No one but Severus could have accomplished what he did all this time. Anyone else would have died trying. I wish my family and I had the guts to do what he did."

Kingsley nodded, his expression softened, "Thank you, Mr. Malfoy – You may take your seat back in the stands." Draco Malfoy nodded wordlessly, as he shuffled himself back to his seat, trying his hardest to avoid the lingering gazes of those seated in the room. Kingsley cleared his throat, "The next elected witness I call, is Ginevra Molly Weasley."

Harry drew in a hesitant breath, as he squeezed Ginny's hand beside him, and watched as she rose and made her way to the witness podium. He knew Kingsley was craftily allowing the other witnesses to go forth and keep Harry as the primary witness. Everyone else was relying on his testimony and give Severus a fighting chance, although he wished he could get his own over and done with. Watching everyone else proceed forth, made him even more anxious. Ginny then took the stand and nodded once the Healer has administered her dosage of Veritaserum.

The Judge shifted in his seat, "Ginevra – Please state your connection with Severus Snape."

"He was my Professor for six years, and Headmaster for the last one."

"Now, as per the information you have provided me already, for the Council's benefit, will you be able to state your experiences under the Death Eater regime during your last Hogwarts year?"

Ginny sat straight within her seat, and Harry couldn't help but feel immensely proud of her confidence as she addressed the room. She appeared calm, and collected, "Two of our classes were run by the Carrow twins – They set frequent detentions for the smallest things and subjected us to torture if they felt we were out of line…Even when we weren't. They often chained up in the dungeons and inflicted the Cruciatus Curse on us. Many of us were set upon with knives – Neville Longbottom has the most scars to prove it…Sometimes our detentions would be to inflict the Curse on the First Years. We were tortured further if we refused to do it."

"Did you see Headmaster Snape much at all during this time?"

Ginny shook her head, "No, I didn't. No one did. He kept himself hidden, likely in the Headmaster's office. The few times he did show up, was to reprimand the Carrows if it appears they went too far and told them he wanted the students alive and intact. At first, I thought he was just being sadistically sarcastic as usual."

"Were there any instances you recall specifically that may exonerate Mr. Snape? Anything strange you recall in his behavior?"

"Well, apart from not being around to torture us himself? Only one time – My friends and I had been fighting back and trying to retaliate against him and the Carrows. Mainly doing things like freeing trapped students and hiding them away. Graffiti. Vandalism. The kinds of things that would annoy them, that is…until they began taking family members hostage outside of school so that we were forced to finally stop. I worked alongside Luna Lovegood and Neville Longbottom – They took his grandmother, so we eventually had to stop doing those things. The three of us tried to sneak into the Headmaster's office one day to steal the Sword of Gryffindor, as we discovered was what Harry needed. But Snape caught us. Instead of sending us to the Carrows to endure their torture, he sent the three of us to Hagrid instead. Rubeus Hagrid, of all people. Our friend and ally. Out of the school grounds. The three of us thought that was strange. He seemed a little mad about it, but not furious."

The Judge nodded, "I see. I presume at the time; you had no idea he was on your side?"

"That is true – We had no idea. It didn't even strike us as something possible. Now thinking back on it, we felt rather stupid once we found out. Now it makes sense."

"After the downfall of Tom Riddle, you were taken by the rogue Death Eaters. Are you able to elaborate on that?"

Ginny drew in a deep breath, and yet still held her head high, "During the attack at Godrics Hollow, I was taken by a Death Eater, who posed as an Auror using Polyjuice Potion. They took me and a little kid Harry and I rescued from a burning house after a blast shook the village. They took us directly to the Quarry and held us in magical cages. I overheard them planning to send us below, but I didn't know what that meant. Some time had passed – possibly a week, I'm not entirely sure – and the others came to our rescue. Severus Snape was the first on scene – he led the group. It looked like they had planned this because it caught the Death Eater's completely off guard."

"How did the attack go?"

Ginny paused in thought, trying to recall that night, "Well, I saw Severus Snape sneaking down to us and trying to silently take out the Death Eaters guarding the cages. Then he signaled the others, and we saw fireworks erupt from all sides distracting them, whilst some took flight on broomsticks and started warding off the Dementors that were hovering overhead. The remaining were locked in duels. It all happened very quickly. Then I saw Harry come down to us, and he and Snape were trying to fight off the Death Eaters closer to our vicinity. The Dementors swooped down and tried to attack them both – Snape was able to cast his Patronus and drive them away, saving Harry. Unfortunately, another Death Eater showed up and killed the closest captive to him in retaliation – Snape got mad and fought to kill."

"Do you think it could have been planned better? It did, after all, result in the death of an innocent teenage boy.'

Ginny suddenly frowned, "They planned it as thoroughly as they could. No one could have foreseen that death."

"Do you think it was Mr. Snape's fault that the child died?"

Ginny began to look furious, "Hey, it wasn't his fault! The rest of us could have died if it weren't for him! He saved not just my life, but the others too. And Harry – The Dementor was close to performing the Kiss of Death if it wasn't for him. They planned the attack as best they could."

One of the other Council members rose her hand, and shifted forward, "But Mr. Snape caused the death of that child and killed two Death Eaters without authority – at the time he was a fugitive. Those are additional crimes. Obviously, the plan did not go as well as presumed."

To Harry's mix of horror and admiration, Ginny stood up suddenly from the podium, her cheeks slightly reddened with a wave of bubbling anger, "He did what he could! What, are you saying he wanted that kid to die? Are you mad? Ask anyone else he planned this with – He did everything in his power to save us. Fat lot of good the Ministry did in looking for us. He did more than the combined efforts of the Aurors! Stop trying to brand him a heartless murderer!"

"But he is a murderer!" One of the strangers in the stands yelled out suddenly.

"That poor kid should never have perished!" Another one shouted.

"That man is dangerous!" Bellowed, someone else.

Katie Bell leaned forward from her seat a few rows behind Harry, and she turned to the hostile strangers, "Cut it out!"

Dean Thomas called out beside her, and turned angrily towards the strangers, "It was because of him, we could pull off the rescue in the first place!"

There was a commotion between Katie, Dean, and the strangers who began to yell back and forth, voices growing louder with each word. The courtroom was growing louder, causing a stir with the new commotion.

Harry was about to stand up himself, as he felt fresh rage bubbling up within him. But instead, Minister Shacklebolt used his voice to silence the room, "Everyone settle down! That is enough! Ginevra, you may resume your seat in the stands. The next person who is out of line will be escorted out. Last warning!"

Ginny, hot and red with anger, marched back to her seat and crossed her arms over her chest once she settled next to Harry. He couldn't help but feel proud of her efforts and standing up to the Council. Ginny herself was busy glaring dangerously at the strangers who called out to condemn Severus.

"Honestly, these people!" Ginny huffed, beside him.

Harry couldn't help but smirk, as he leaned towards Ginny, "…I'm proud of you." Ginny clasped his hand again.

Kingsley drew in a deep breath, "Rubeus Hagrid, I have you elected as a witness. If I could have – On second thought, perhaps it'll be best if you stay put." He nodded to the Healer to approach the half-giant in his position at floor-level, who moved over to him and proceeded to administer almost a double dosage of the truth serum. Harry watched as Hagrid's eyes glossed over. Kingsley cleared his throat, "Rubeus Hagrid, can you please advise to the Council your relations to Severus Snape?"

Hagrid clasped his hands nervously over his midsection, "I'm a 'ogwarts staff member, and 'ave been colleagues with 'im for almost eighteen years. I was employed at 'ogwarts as Gamekeeper when 'e was still a student."

"Were you ever close with him, as a colleague?"

"Somewha'. Severus usually kept to 'imself, but we seemed to be on decent, professional terms. I'd help 'im gather potion's ingredient' from time to time when he requires it."

"What were your thoughts on his loyalties?"

Hagrid appeared to crinkle his brow in thought, "I always felt 'he was very close to Albus Dumbledore. Always the first on scene when somethin' went wrong and Albus always called upon 'im first. I was more than shocked to discover 'e had killed the Headmaster, as with everyone else. It just didn't make any sense."

Griselda leaned forward, "Where were you the night that Albus Dumbledore died?"

Hagrid bit his lip, "I was in my 'ut when Albus was killed. I didn't know a fight broke out at the Astronomy Tower. Then I heard yells and screamin', and saw Harry chasing after Severus outside of 'ogwarts along with Draco and several other Death Eaters. I was right confused. Then one of the Death Eaters started attackin' me and lit my house on fire. Harry, meanwhile, was tryin' to attack Severus, but he was only blockin' Harry's spells. Eventually, Severus disarmed him and left. I was tryin' to distract the others."

"Mr. Snape didn't attack Harry?"

Hagrid shook his head, "Not that I could see. Severus wouldn't allow the others to attack him, either. They just…Apparated away on his orders."

"Right, " Elphias cleared his throat, "What happened once Severus Snape took on the role of Headmaster?"

Hagrid looked bitterly at the Chief Warlock, "Well, it was hellish enough with those damn Carrows hurtin' people – they threatened to kill my dog because he wouldn't stop barkin' at 'em. I barely saw Severus at all. But 'e did send Ginny, Luna, and Neville to me for supposed detention. That was indeed odd. Since the Carrows arrived, only they were in charge o' detention."

"Let's backtrack a little – What was Severus like as a student at school?"

Hagrid frowned as he hesitated slightly at the change in question, "He was a quiet kid. Hard workin'. Rather sharp and intelligent. Exceptional student, from what I've been told. Unfortunately, he fell into the wrong crowd within his Slytherin house. It wasn't like he could escape it, though. He was bullied a lot at school and sought comradery with…the darker side of the Slytherin's influence if ye get my drift - "

"- He never approached a teacher about this supposed, bullying behavior?"

"Nah. He was too proud to do that – " Hagrid frowned again, pausing slightly, " – Why does it matter what he was like back then? People aren't the same as they were twenty years ago. Blimey…"

The Judge sighed, "We are just covering all bases, Rubeus. Severus Snape has a rather intricate history. In order to make sense of his crimes, it helps to delve back into his past. Especially as it's clear you've known him for many years."

"Yeah, but you know it. Albus Dumbledore told you that years ago. No need to bring it back up if it's on record. Anythin' else you need to know?"

The Judge shook his head, "No, that would be all from you."

Minister Kingsley leaned back in his chair, "Thank you, Rubeus. Harry James Potter – I call upon you to enter the witness stand."

There was a hush of voices within the stands, and immediately, Harry felt dozens of eyes dart towards his direction. He swallowed thickly as he slowly rose from his seat, and gingerly made his way to the witness stand ignoring the whispers as he passed the others. Once he sat down, he noticed another unnerving silence – Harry didn't know where else to look. This was far worse than his own trial pertaining to underage magic in the presence of his cousin Dudley during a planned Dementor attack. Harry glanced at Severus seated in front of him, locking eyes with the pain-filled, darker ones. It was the clearest view of the man Harry was able to see since the beginning of the trial. Severus looked extremely unwell – His marble-white face highlighted the gauntness of his cheeks, and the dark bands under his eyes more prominent than ever. Harry noticed dried blood on his face, and on the crevices of his shirt. The darker eyes staring back at him were hollow as with the broken man shackled behind them. Severus didn't hold his gaze for long and immediately looked away, leaving Harry's heart to break a little more. Harry waited, tapping his fingers nervously against his legs, as the Healer approached him with his own round of Veritaserum. Once the potion eased through his bloodstream, he could feel his mind grow slightly hazy like his brain was suddenly on autopilot.

Kingsley then spoke again, breaking Harry out of his lingering thoughts, "Mr. Potter – please state your relation to Severus Snape before the Wizengamot."

"Severus Snape was my professor for six years. Also, allies within the Order of the Phoenix, " Harry responded, whilst trying to maintain his cool. It was unnerving sitting in the witness stand, while everyone stared up at him. He hated being on display like this, and yet he could not imagine how Severus must be feeling on display in the center.

"Mr. Potter – Would you be able to share with the Council what transpired on the night that Albus Dumbledore died?"

Straight to the point…

Harry sat up straight within his chair, and looked from Kingsley to Elphias, to Griselda, then scanned the remainder of the room over the familiar faces he knew were there as well. He cleared his throat, "On the night that Albus Dumbledore died, the both of us left Hogwarts in pursuit of a dark artifact binding Tom Riddle to immortality – It was discovered that he intentionally made six. When we returned to Hogwarts, Dumbledore was severely weakened by one of Tom's safety measures. He put me in a full-body bind, kept me invisibly hidden…I saw the whole thing happen, and I was unable to do anything. The other Death Eaters broke into the castle, a fight broke out…Draco Malfoy disarmed him, but he couldn't kill him…So Severus Snape stepped in and did it instead. Once he was dead, the spell on me lifted, and I pursued Severus Snape with an intent to kill him."

Elphias spoke firmly, frowning just a little, "And how did you feel about it?"

Harry sighed, "On that night, I was furious. And confused. But more just…very angry. I chased down Snape with the intent to kill him for being a coward and a traitor, " Harry felt his cheeks grow hot with shame upon the words he did not feel comfortable admitting with all thanks to the truth serum. He couldn't believe he ever felt that way towards the man he got to know in these last few months. It seemed like a different lifetime, now.

"I see. Understandable, of course…" Elphias cleared his throat, "I must ask – how did you come to discover Severus' true loyalties?"

Harry bit his lip, eyes darting quickly to Severus, then back at Elphias, "During the final fight at Hogwarts, I discovered where Severus Snape was hiding, which was also where Tom Riddle was located. I was hidden, and we witnessed Severus get attacked by Tom's snake Nagini. I was there with Ron and Hermione when he was close to death…He gave me his memories. From that, I discovered the truth about his loyalties and his secret mission with Dumbledore that I wasn't to know until the right moment. "

"But how can you believe those memories to be true? They could have been tampered with. Severus Snape is a master Occlumens…Surely, he could have altered them?"

Harry clenched his jaw, as he curled his lip slightly in distaste, "He didn't, because I know what a tampered memory looks like. With those memories, I saw everything I needed to know. Without them, I would not have gained the knowledge I needed to defeat Tom Riddle. Severus Snape helped me defeat him."

"And why did Mr. Snape not seek you out before?"

"He told you already – he tried to. He was still working undercover at that time. Besides, he remained at Hogwarts to keep the students safe. He couldn't leave his post."

Griselda clasped her hands together, and frowned, "I still do not understand why Mr. Snape waited so long to tell you what you needed to know."

"On Dumbledore's orders – The mission was time-sensitive. Severus Snape was to wait for a particular moment to tell me, but, it obviously didn't turn out as planned."

"It doesn't seem plausible – "

" – Yeah, well, that was the mission. Dumbledore was a brilliant man, but even he could not predict the future. Severus did whatever he could, with the limited information he had. He could not confide in anyone else. Voldemort was able to break into anyone's mind from afar. Severus was walking a dangerous path…He was a triple agent…He worked completely alone."

"One who obviously didn't have a back-up plan – "

Harry could feel fresh anger bubbling up within him yet again, "Why is it so hard for you all to believe? This man risked everything to help us bring down Tom Riddle! What did he have to gain from all of this? Absolutely nothing! I'm here to stand in his defense because I believe he deserves a chance to live a life free from risking himself to face the enemy every single day. None of you could have done what he did. You try and paint him as a cold-blooded murderer – Well, perhaps think of what you would do if you were in his position? He risked his life to save mine – he protected me, ever since my first year at Hogwarts. He ensured my safety, until the time I was strong enough to bring Voldemort down. And I did. You should be thanking him, not condemning him! I'd not be standing here, without him. As for many others."

"Mr Potter, you must understand – It is difficult to procure sufficient evidence of this, even if it comes directly from the word of The Boy Who Lived. Yes, your defeat of Tom Riddle is indeed admirable, however, Severus' fate is resting on your word alone."

"I'm using Veritaserum – You can't call me a liar!" Harry responded, angrily, "This man has already served his time among the ranks of Voldemort, undercover. While the Ministry was sitting comfortably, Voldemort was rising to power. If you had listened to Dumbledore and me much earlier, you would have been a little more prepared."

"I realise this is a complicated issue. And Severus has a complicated history to sift through – You must also understand that most of us were not privy to these supposed plans of Albus Dumbledore. What we know, is what we are being told by you, and the other witnesses. "

"I defeated Voldemort – What, is my word no longer good enough? I defeated Tom Riddle, and now you no longer want to hear anything I have to say?"

"That is not what we are saying…"

Harry frowned, as he suddenly slammed his fist on the surface of the podium, "Listen! He has been helping us round up the Death Eaters and help find the others who were taken! At his own risk, yet again. You still don't get it, do you? We need his help, and he is the only one who can. He has already paid his price for his crimes, hasn't he? Pretending to work for the darkest wizard of all time, in order to deliver viable information to the Order? At his own risk to his life, and still, risking it now. You're oblivious to the extent of what he gave up. He had no life, but that of a spy, and dedicated most of his life to the cause against Tom Riddle. Is that not good enough for you?"

Elphias sighed heavily, as he turned to Severus, "Is this true, Mr. Snape? Are you certain you know the whereabouts of the others?"

Severus' eyes darted from Harry to the Chief Warlock. He seemed to be dazed and lost in his own thoughts, trying to comprehend what was happening around him. Harry could see that Severus' breathing became labored, and the man struggled to keep himself composed, "I am almost certain we have pinpointed the location. I also know the names of some of those Death Eaters responsible for the rogue attacks."

"And whom are?"

"Antonin Dolohov, Merek Selwyn, Walden Macnair, and Augustus Rookwood. I can still be of service to the Ministry if you would allow me to continue to aid in the safe return of those captured. I know how those enemies operate…" Severus' eyes seemed to widen in desperation.

Elphias held up his palm, "We can discuss that later. We still have a few more witnesses to be called forth, " He then turned to Harry, "I'll have you return to your seat, Mr. Potter."

"I wasn't finished – " Harry continued.

Griselda cut him off, " - To your seat, Mr. Potter. We will not ask you again."

Still incredibly angry, Harry removed himself from the witness stand and made his way towards his seat next to Ginny. He felt a light pat on the back from Molly Weasley beside him, along with a "Well done" from Arthur. Harry, however, sat with his gaze transfixed at the Wizengamot, whilst doing his best to contain the still-simmering anger within his chest.

Minister Shacklebolt continued, "I now call forth, Headmistress Minerva McGonagall."

"Good heavens, they are going to have to restrain me. I have no patience for politics – " McGonagall mumbled, as she rose from her seat and walked swiftly past Harry with her black and silver robes billowing as she went. She exuded confidence, as she walked by the dozens of eyes staring back at her, but she continued to hold her head high. Harry heard Ron snort from the opposite side to the older Gryffindor, at the woman's sarcastic remark. At that moment, Harry was proud to have her on their side. Severus would also be relying on her word.

Minerva McGonagall sat poised on her seat, with her hands clasped calmly and neatly on her lap. Her piercing deep blue eyes scanned the audience, while she looked sternly back to the Council before her. She definitely meant business, and Harry was relying on the Headmistress to put the Wizengamot back in their place. The woman already looked bothered.

The Judge nodded to the Healer, as everyone watched as the truth serum was administered to her. Once she took it compliantly, the Judge drew in a breath, "Headmistress McGonagall, can you please state to the Council your relations with Severus Snape?"

McGonagall flashed an irked glance at the Council members, pursing her lips, "I've known Severus for about twenty-five years. I taught him at Hogwarts for seven years as his Transfiguration professor, and for the last eighteen when he was employed at Hogwarts. We were colleagues, and still, friends."

"Were you two ever close?"

"As friends, yes. I like to think we are. Severus was never keen on the social aspects of the job, so he often kept to himself. We both share a friendly comradery."

"Did you know he was ever a Death Eater?"

McGonagall nodded, "I did, indeed. But I had complete trust in Albus Dumbledore, and thus, I believed Severus' defection to be true and genuine. I had no reason to suspect him to revert during his post as Professor. He had put all of it behind him and has always been a crucial staff member and ally. He was highly dedicated and passionate about his job at Hogwarts."

"Were you shocked to find that he had killed Albus Dumbledore on that night?"

"Why, of course, " McGonagall cleared her throat, "We all were. Albus and Severus were close friends – It was a shock to us all. I was never aware of the plans between them, but…I did feel slightly betrayed. Much to my own shame, even though it was all out of my hands."

"Please explain to the Council, what happened in the year Mr. Snape took on the role of Headmaster upon Tom Riddle's orders. What are your thoughts?"

McGonagall turned to look bleakly at Severus, before looking back to the Council, "My thoughts? Well, in all my years of teaching at Hogwarts, I never anticipated a year so dark for those within my care. The Carrows ran the show, so to speak. We were limited to our own powers, and every detention had to be served only under them. Often it was the Carrows who singled out students to subject to it, rather than us risking our students under their command. I never took that risk. Even the faculty had to walk on eggshells around them. If we didn't do as we were told, they would attack the students. It was a terrible time for us all. "

"Did you see Mr. Snape much at all?"

The Headmistress shook her head, "Hardly. Honestly, I tried to avoid him unless absolutely necessary, because I knew that I would have tried to attack him when given the opportunity. However, in the few times I did see him, he looked rather…dismal. Not the face of a man happy to be in that position, and in power over us. I was never allowed in the Headmaster's office, and he made himself rather unapproachable."

"Ms. McGonagall – How did you come to discover his true loyalties?"

"By the word of Harry Potter on the night Hogwarts was attacked. Mr. Potter confronted Voldemort in the Great Hall and told the room of the memories he saw pertaining to Severus' loyalties. Everyone present at the time heard what Severus had done, and how he fooled the enemy. Then Severus showed up to see Voldemort's end."

"But how can you be sure? What proof do you have that Mr. Potter was truthful? Severus could have been fooling you all, until even then. He could have lied to Mr. Potter - "

McGonagall's eyes grew wide with a sudden, rising fury. Harry saw her lips curl dangerously, " - Don't be daft! Why on earth would Severus bother to show up at the end if he weren't? Why would he risk giving up his memories to Potter in the first place, to implant lies?"

Griselda intercepted firmly, "It is a mere lack of actual evidence that can help us understand all this. All except the word from an eighteen-year-old boy."

McGonagall scoffed in disbelief, "Are you calling him a liar? I trust Harry Potter's word. As should you. He brought down Voldemort, with help from Severus. Both whom were the key to his ultimate demise. Are you simply dismissing such a fact? Severus gave himself up willingly to come forth before the Wizengamot today – Is that not the sign of a man who was guilty enough to run? Severus' loyalties fooled everyone. That was the point of the deception – The mission was sensitive enough that even I was not meant to know. If you could only truly see the lengths Severus had to undergo to preserve it, you would not be so quick to condemn him. And Potter! How dare you call him a liar."

"The fact that Severus Snape made everyone believe he was still working for Riddle, makes it difficult to access his deeds accordingly. From our evidential standpoint, all we've seen is his misdeeds and crimes. All of this supposed goodwill seem to only emanate verbally from a select few."

The Headmistress looked sourly at the Council members, "Harry Potter remains alive, because of this man you seem to enjoy treating as a criminal. Why even protect the boy at all if his loyalties were with Voldemort? Because he was never Voldemort's! His loyalty was always with Albus Dumbledore, from the moment of his defection. When I drove him away from the castle, he only used defensive spells. He could have killed me on that night, but he did not. He could have certainly hurt the students during his reign as Headmaster, but he did not. All of these acts indicate that he was not the enemy. Because of his hand in Albus' death, we were all fooled and blinded by it. And still, even now – Severus Snape was still dedicated to protecting Harry Potter from those rogue Death Eaters running rampant after the demise of their master. How do you not see this? Severus has more than paid for his crimes, facing the enemy and lying to his face for years. Risking his own life, to preserve Potter's. He had every opportunity to flee, and yet he remained to complete his mission. He has worked tirelessly since attempting to find the others and bring the other Death Eater's down. What more service do you require of him? This questioning is absurd when you refuse to consider anything we have said in his defense. What is the point on subjecting us to Veritaserum, if you don't listen to the truth that is told?"

The Judge heaved a heavy sigh, "I think it is best if we adjourn this trial until we can reach a method of conclusion. Mr. Severus Snape cannot go unpunished. After all, he did murder Albus Dumbledore, whether it was merciful or not – "

"Indeed, it was – " A familiar, softly hoarse voice echoed within the courtroom, causing multiple heads to turn wildly around for the source of it. Harry hesitated for a moment until he peered around to look at Headmistress McGonagall clasping something tightly within her hand. She looked shaken, and pale. Eventually, she glanced over at Harry and both locked eyes, unsure of what the blue ones were thinking. And then it clicked – she had finally used the Resurrection Stone.

Soon, a pale glow stood before McGonagall, outlining a familiar regal-like figure who was none other than Albus Dumbledore – exactly how Harry remembered him to be on the night that he died. He stood with his hands clasped firmly in front of him and positioned himself beside a magically bound Severus. Pale blue and grey robes sweeping the floor, like a transparent silk sheet dissolving like mist at the cold tiled floor. Once he began to materialise, Harry heard several shocked gasps and whispers amongst those seated within the courtroom. Everyone was just as stunned. Even Rita Skeeter stopped writing, as her jaw dropped.

The misty ghost of Albus Dumbledore merely smiled, "I see you required another testimony? As witness for the defense, I present myself – Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore."

The Judge simply sat, eyes wide in shock, "Impossible! …How? This is a trick!"

Dumbledore appeared nonchalant, "As I appear before you, that concludes that it is not, as you put it, impossible, " He turned to the Chief Warlock amongst the Council, "Ah, Elphias, old friend. Good to see you."

Elphias was just as dumbfounded, "…Albus? But how?"

"How doesn't matter. The fact is, I am here. And since you all seemed to be rather taken aback by my appearance here today, I will continue with my testimony without further delay, " Dumbledore turned to Severus, who in turn, appeared wide-eyed with shock as the man standing before him. Dumbledore greeted the broken man with a small reassuring nod, placing a ghostly hand upon Severus' shoulder, before he turned to the Judge, "Prior to the night of my death, I was cursed by an artifact procured and tainted in dark magic by Tom Riddle himself. The curse was slowed due to Severus' exceptional quick thinking. During our lengthy discussions, we deducted that Draco Malfoy was instructed by Tom to attempt to murder me himself. During Draco's ill-fated task, Severus was approached by his mother and undertook an Unbreakable Vow in order to protect him from making a grave mistake – For fear of breaking cover, he took the Vow. Upon my orders, I instructed Severus Snape to kill me, on behalf of Draco, in order for Tom Riddle to trust him completely. It was imperative that I died by his hand. A merciful death – I was already a dead man. Prior to my death, I imbued my portrait with information aiding Severus in his continued mission, which he undertook alone. He planted and led Harry Potter to the Sword of Gryffindor, allowing him to successfully destroy Tom Riddles soul pieces. Severus swapped the sword with a fake one within the vault of Bellatrix Lestrange, in order to fool her. Severus has been incredibly loyal to me for sixteen years. I quite literally, trusted him with my life, and end of."

He then turned to McGonagall, who was still pale with shock, "Minerva – My sincerest and deepest apologies for not requesting your involvement. It was for your protection if Tom were to break into your mind. We could not take the risk."

She shook her head, and placed her hand softly upon her chest, "I understand, Albus. Severus told me…Forgive me, this is rather a shock…"

Dumbledore then looked up at Kingsley, "Well done on the post of Minister, Kingsley."

Kingsley smiled, looking almost relieved, "You are a sight for sore eyes, old friend."

Severus, however, was shaking slightly under his lengthy raven hair. His eyes transfixed on the transparent form of the old Headmaster beside him. He, too, was as shocked as McGonagall by the sight of him. Severus' appeared in heavy guilt; eyes widened still in disbelief at the man he had no choice but to execute on that fateful night. For once, Severus looked speechless.

"No!" Suddenly, one of the hostile wizards stood up from their seat and pointed a menacing finger at Severus bound in the center, "This is all a trick to release this Death Eater back into the public – he is not safe around our children!"

Minister Kingsley leaned forward to address them, "Please, remain seated – "

"I will not! Drag me out if you have to, but I cannot allow this man to be freed! He must be punished for his crimes!"

Someone else, a middle-aged witch, stood up beside them, "I too, agree with them. He chose to become a Death Eater. He chose his path! He cannot be let go! He is a danger to us all!"

Several others began to stand up in unison with the hostile few, as Kingsley then motioned for the Aurors to take them away. Harry had never seen Kingsley look so mad before. Four more Aurors piled into the courtroom and approached them, who took them by the arms and proceeded to lead them out of the courtroom, leaving the disruptors to continue hurling harsh words and accusations as they were dragged away through the doors. There was a commotion of voices, and whispers within the room, in a combination of those condemning Severus and those in support. Harry looked back to find that Molly Weasley was reprimanding one of the hostile witches, as she was being escorted away. The Weasley Matriarch scrunched her face up in irritation.

Kingsley looked back at the Judge, and both nodded towards each other.

The Judge continued, "We have much to discuss. Trial adjourned until we've reached a verdict. Mr. Snape will continue to be detained with us until such a decision has been reached."

Harry stood up immediately, "NO!"

"Mr. Potter, it will be wise to give us more time."

Harry shook his head, "I can't let you lock him up. Please…"

Kingsley shot Harry a warned look, silencing Harry. He didn't know what to do, and he couldn't let Severus be taken away. The doors to the courtroom swung open once more, as two Aurors proceeded to remove Severus and take him away. Harry watched helplessly as Severus was dragged out of the room without another word, but soon after, the room began to empty. All except the DA and the Order, and the Council who remained unmoving from their higher seats. Everyone else began to file out – Many whispering harshly amongst themselves. Some angry at the verdict not yet reach, and some began to debate the facts amongst themselves. The ghost of Dumbledore still hovered beside McGonagall in a strange, out of place apparition. Harry walked up to the Judge in a hurry, who was leaving the podium to make his exit, with the Minister beside him.

"Please, sir – I want to make a deal. We need his help…"

The judge looked helplessly at Harry, "Releasing Severus into the public might be a mistake, Mr. Potter. You've witnessed firsthand of the hostility of some who do not take kindly to his appearance. Even you cannot deny he performed horrible deeds – he will not be safe out there."

"How so? He's been nothing but helpful to us. We are close to finding the others. We need him with us to help plan this…Take something for an exchange, or, whatever, but we need him."

Dumbledore took a ghostly step forward, hovering still a few inches from the floor, with his arms clasped neatly in front of him, "It will be most wise to listen to the Boy Who Lived. It is he, who aided in the removal of the threat of Tom Riddle, and thus, ending the Second Wizarding War. The Ministry owes him, and in turn, Severus."

Minister Kinsley nodded lightly, "Perhaps we can co-ordinate a common ground to satisfy the Council if they so agree with these terms. However, until we reach a final verdict, perhaps it would be wise and just if we do keep his wand in our possession until such a decision is reached. On mutual grounds, of course. In the meantime, I understand the need for leniency in regard to his declining health. At the risk of the retrieval, I suggest it is best to keep him bound between Order headquarters and Hogwarts if that becomes compromised. That is until we reached a final decision. Do you think that will be a wise choice, your Honour?"

The Judge paused for a moment, as he looked back at the Council, who were waiting in anticipation. Elphias and Griselda had made their way down from the stands to confront the others. Both members looking rather apprehensive. Elphias cleared his throat, "Very well – His wand will remain with us for the time being until we see fit to return it. There is a high possibility that it will no longer be returned to him, I hope you know. He must be punished to some degree. That much is certain. I suppose home detention would be opportune and give us time to gather all the information we have during this trial. I've always been on the fence with Severus, but I believe his plea to assist with the rescue efforts, to be highly genuine."

Harry swallowed thickly, "So if he helps us find the others, can he be released as a free man? Will you be able to drop any likely charges? Don't you think he has sacrificed enough? Why is it necessary for him to still earn his freedom?"

The elderly witch Griselda clasped her hands in front of her, as she moved to stand beside Elphias, "Mr. Potter, it is imperative you try and see this from our perspective. Whatever you saw…Whatever convinced you that Severus was on our side…Is not quite enough to convince the Council. I, too, have difficulty understanding his motives."

"He's very sick…He'll die if you condemn him to Azkaban. He is already suffering, isn't he?" Harry demanded, "In keeping him a part of the Order, he is still in service to the Ministry. Why not consider that?"

Minerva McGonagall moved to join Harry beside him, placing a reassuring hand upon his shoulder, "Mr. Potter is right. You must allow Severus to aid us in orchestrating this retrieval. We all know that there is no one more suited to do so, than he. After all, he worked with the Death Eaters. He knows them far better than we do. You cannot deny that."

The Judge looked to the Minister. Kingsley nodded, "Rather than detaining him, we can utilise his skills. I say Mr. Potter's plea is reasonable, don't you agree?"

Dumbledore's ghost stood tall, "I think it is rather reasonable. Severus has been a highly valuable asset to the War, and yet he continues to work in your favor. By dismissing his efforts to retrieve the missing, you are purposely allowing your bias to cloud your judgment. Azkaban is no place for him."

The Judge seemed to sigh, "Very well, then. I can agree to return Severus to you, but whilst his wand remains in our possession, he must be confined to Order headquarters, or Hogwarts – If for any reason, headquarters becomes compromised."

Harry nodded, eagerly, "We'd be grateful for that, sir. If he can help us save more lives, then being thrown in Azkaban is not something he should be awarded with. Even by Ministry standards. Give Severus a chance to prove himself again. That's all we ask."

"If that is not satisfactory to you, perhaps you can re-consider your so-called punishment after the retrieval. Then you can further judge Severus if you wish. But despite all his past crimes, you cannot deny that he saved many lives, even in impossible situations. That must count for something, " McGonagall interjected, "After all, Albus Dumbledore was able to vouch for him once again. Even gravely ill, Severus was still able to aid us. He was willingly prepared to face the Council here today."

The Judge responded, "Alright, you've made your points. You can retrieve him from detainment – I will officiate the temporary pardon in writing. But we will discuss any possible punishment in the meantime. That will not go unnoticed. Is that clear?"

There were collective nods with Harry and the rest of his friends present, as they stood in unison behind him. Harry felt a sigh of relief, "Thank you. Now we can get the other's back – And you can receive another testimony for Narcissa Malfoy and Neville Longbottom if ours is still no longer good enough."

Kingsley offered a smile, "One thing at a time, Mr. Potter. Now, take Severus back home, and make sure he rests well."

Harry could not have been more eager to leave. That was a difficult day for everyone.

He turned around to face the ghost of Dumbledore, who looked at him with the same warm smile that he last remembered during their meeting at Kings Cross Station – the strange purgatory Harry had experienced once Tom Riddle attempted to end his life. As their eyes met, the ghostly ones began to fade away, as the apparition finally disappeared leaving the world without Albus Dumbledore once again.


The End.
End Notes:

FOOTNOTES: Okay, I wanted to add something real quick at the end of this chapter. I chose to take a little leap of faith and give the Resurrection Stone a bit of a twist. The artifact alone is not detailed in its description of how it actually works. In the chapter in DH when Harry uses it, I do realise that the ghosts of Lily, James, Sirius, and Remus were essentially invisible to everyone else. Well, I was thinking about it long before I wrote these chapters, and my twist was for it to be a choice amongst the spirits who returned. In DH, the ghosts were invisible because Harry needed to approach Voldemort alone (figuratively), so the spirits remained hidden for him and give him protection against the Dementors. For this story, I wanted it to be a choice for the spirits to reveal themselves to others who did not activate the Stone. Dumbledore chose to reveal himself one last time. I hope you guys didn't mind this!



This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=3833