Harry Potter and the War of Morgan le Fay by TheLostBoys333
Summary:

After being captured and tortured for days, Harry and Snape are about to be killed by Voldemort. However, they manage to escape only to discover they have been brought back in time to help in the War of Morgan le Fay. Alongside the Founders and the people of Camelot, Harry and Snape will exchange one war for another all while learning of long lost magic, discovering themselves, and finding a family in each other.


Categories: Teacher Snape > Trusted Mentor Snape, Teacher Snape > Professor Snape, Parental Snape > Guardian Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Original Character, Other
Snape Flavour: Canon Snape, Snape Comforts, Snape Disciplines , Snape is Kind, Snape is Loving, Snape is Stern
Genres: Action/Adventure, Angst, Fantasy, Fluff, Humor, Hurt/Comfort
Media Type: Story
Tags: Adoption, Alternate Universe, Time Travel
Takes Place: 5th Year
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys, Character Bashing, Character Death, Torture, Violence
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 11 Completed: No Word count: 43910 Read: 2647 Published: 11 Nov 2023 Updated: 13 Apr 2024
Chapter 6 by TheLostBoys333
Author's Notes:

Enjoy this chapter. It is a slower one again, adding to the world-, magic-, and lore-building of the world. If you enjoy, please leave a review. I appreciate you and I hope you continue to enjoy this story!

Harry watched the activity of the village with a slight frown. Galen and Griffin were in the field with the horses and unicorns. A group of kids were running around, conjuring little creatures made of glittery magic to chase their friends, conjured without wands. Erec and Felix were at the blacksmith where magic, again wandless, was being used to create what seemed to be arrows. Godric and Guinevere were talking as they slowly meandered down the road before being approached by a few kids around Harry’s age. They seemed to ask something and cheered when Godric and Guinevere nodded with smiles. Salazar was at the building he’d learned was a goldsmith with a young woman he’d learned was Salazar’s and Cecilia’s third child, and Felix’s twin, Penelope.


Penelope had a striking resemblance to Felix despite being fraternal twins. They shared the same slender frame, shorter stature, brown eyes, light brown hair though hers was kept in two long braids, and the soft kindness that was evident in Cecilia’s features. She also had the same beauty that seemed to run through the entire Slytherin line. A main difference he could see was the excitable nature that lay beneath Penelope’s surface while Felix had a much calmer aura. Penelope’s nature was one he could see in Salazar though his was more an intense passion, not too different from Snape. He assumed Penelope’s excitement likely came out in her work as a Crafter of magic and potions for the Wizards’ Council, what he’d learned was the precursor to the Ministry of Magic.


He sighed as he watched the village exist around him, feeling lost in this world. He supposed it wasn’t too different to how he felt back in their time and had felt his entire life.


“You have been awfully quiet the last few days.”


Harry looked up, finding Snape standing next to where he sat on the front step, leaning against the wooden railing.


“Sorry,” Harry said, a little dully.


“An apology is not necessary,” Snape said and Harry watched the man lower himself to sit next to Harry on the step. “However, I would like to know what is on your mind.”


Harry looked back out at the village, chewing his lip. It had been three days since they’d learned all about Morgan le Fay, the Deathly Hallows, and the ongoing war. He hadn’t known what to think about it all, still didn’t despite running it through his mind over and over. He no longer knew what he wanted to do despite having been so adamant about staying just days earlier. A part of him did want to stay and help, but he couldn’t help but wonder what kind of help he could even be. This world was turning out to be vastly different than the one from which they came. He also wasn’t sure he was willing or able to give up his life to yet another fate.


“Potter?” Snape pressed.


“When do I get to be me and live the way I want?” Harry said. “I’m sick of fate telling me and everyone who I am. It’s never who I am.”


“And who are you?” Snape asked.


Harry shrugged, looking down at his boots. “I’m not sure I know, really.”


“Shall I tell you what I see?” Snape asked lightly.


“Somehow, I don’t think I’m going to like this,” Harry said and Snape smirked.


“I see a reckless child with far too much bravery and heart for his own good,” Snape said and Harry rolled his eyes. “We get to decide who we are, Mr. Potter, no matter what fate may say.”


Harry sighed and gazed out at the village again. “Maybe.”


“Do you still wish for us to stay?” Snape asked.


“I’m not sure,” Harry said.


“Really?” Snape said and Harry turned to him. “Were you not fighting to convince me to stay just a few days ago?”


Harry heard the amusement, but it was shadowed by his own inner conflict. “Yeah, but that was before I remembered I’m useless.”


“Is that so?” Snape said, raising an eyebrow and making Harry furrow his at the tone. “Well, it must have been a different Harry Potter that got through obstacles created by full-grown wizards and fought Voldemort at eleven.”


“I mean, yeah, but Ron and Hermione helped,” Harry argued slightly.


“And the Basilisk in the secret chamber sealed with Parseltongue?” Snape said.


“Fawkes,” Harry pointed out.


“Being capable of a corporeal Patronus at thirteen, and a Disarming Charm powerful enough to knock me out and not just disarm me?” Snape said, his tone and look unmistakably both amused and slightly unimpressed.


“Hey, I apologized for that,” Harry said defensively, wincing at the reminder of what he had done to the professor in the Shrieking Shack.


“And the Patronus?” Snape said and Harry sighed.


“I guess,” Harry said.


“I also recall you performing a powerful Summoning Charm, not to mention everything else you managed last year,” Snape said and Harry cringed at the reminder of the entire tournament, fighting not to think of Cedric for at least a moment.


“It took me weeks to learn that spell and I barely survived the tournament,” Harry argued.


“And, finally, your little Defense group and your dueling skills at the Ministry,” Snape said. “I must have been imagining these last four and a half years.”


Harry huffed slightly, trying to stomp down the flush he could feel rising in his cheeks. “Fine, all of that is true, but I hardly managed most of that. I always had help from somewhere,” he said. “How am I supposed to learn everything here and be good enough to help? Everything here is completely different and I haven’t understood half of the things that have been talked about.”


“School tends to be a place one learns and improves,” Snape said.


Harry frowned. “What do you mean?”


“Hogwarts, Potter,” Snape said. “I will not allow you to abandon your education and there is much you can learn here. As you said, it is very different.”


“I don’t understand, sir,” Harry said, trying to figure out what the professor was getting at.


Snape gave him a withering stare. “Don’t be obtuse, brat.”


It clicked then and Harry’s eyes widened. “We’re staying?”


Snape’s lips twitched. “It would seem your argument a few days ago changed my mind.”


“Really?” Harry said, surprised he’d managed to convince the man of anything.


“Yes, however, there are a few conditions,” Snape said. “First, there will be no more just sliding through school. I expect you to put in your best effort here. Second, if we are to help in this war, you will not do anything reckless or without thought. There will be no foolishness or impulsive heroism. Understand?”


Harry nodded, swallowing thickly at the firm threat he could see in the dark eyes.


“Finally, in order to enroll, I am required to act as your guardian.”


Harry felt his cheeks warm again. “Kind of already seemed like you were,” he admitted quietly, eyes dropping to his boots once again. “No one else has bothered with me much lately.”


There was a moment of silence following his admission and he fought down his embarrassment. Snape was just his professor, no matter what the man had done for him or what had changed between them since October, and here he was basically admitting he saw the man as a guardian, someone to take care of him. He had no illusions that Snape would ever see him as more than a student he now tolerated, let alone as a child he could care for.


“I am sure it is unappealing to have to settle for someone like me to rely on, but I promise you can,” Snape said and Harry frowned at the man’s subtle self-deprecation, looking back up at the professor.


“That has never been in question, Professor, not even before the Ministry,” Harry said. “What has been a question is your willingness to stick around when no one else has or I’ve gotten them killed.”


“We have talked about this, Potter,” Snape said firmly.


Harry sighed and gave a small smile, nodding. Snape had been working hard to make Harry understand Cedric’s death had not been his fault. The man had been doing quite well, honestly, Harry finally nearly convinced of his innocence in the entire tragedy.


“Additionally, it is not such a hardship to protect you,” Snape said. “I have had extensive practice.”


Harry scowled half-heartedly, hiding his amusement and rise in emotion. Snape may have used the word ‘protect’, but Harry was certain he heard underlying meaning and he was touched, knowing someone did care for him.


“Are you amenable to these conditions of our stay?” Snape asked.


“Yes, sir,” Harry said with another nod. “I’m not sure how well I can do, though. Everything here is done wandlessly and I’ve never done wandless magic. I can hardly do wanded magic.” He gazed around at the magic he could see being performed.


“That is not a word,” Snape said and Harry rolled his eyes. “You will learn. It is the point of returning to Hogwarts.”


“I don’t know any wandless magic or anything in this world,” Harry said again. “I’m not like you.”


“Ah, yes, because I am an expert at ancient magic that does not exist in our time,” Snape said dryly.


“You make me roll me eyes anymore and I’m going to go blind,” Harry said and Snape smirked. “You know what I mean. You’re powerful and a bloody genius and can do anything.”


“Shall I refer you back to your last four years again?” Snape said, raising an eyebrow.


Harry huffed, frustrated that he wasn’t being allowed his self-pity.


“Come on, Potter,” Snape said suddenly, Harry looking up as the man rose to his feet. “The best way to quell doubt is to ask questions.”


“I wouldn’t know,” Harry said bitterly. “I don’t tend to get answers when I ask questions.”


Snape was the one to roll his eyes this time as he gestured for Harry to stand. “Up, Potter, let’s go.”


Curious, Harry stood alongside the professor and allowed himself to be guided away from the Nye cottage. They passed through the village, some nodding and greeting Snape as they went.


“Is this what you’ve been doing the last few days, talking to people?” Harry asked, giving his own nod to Erec and Felix at the blacksmith.


“I couldn’t very well consent to the both of us remaining here without more information or making arrangements,” Snape said. “We need to know who we are to live and fight alongside of.”


Harry silently conceded the notion, continuing to allow Snape to guide him along. His curiosity increased as they approached the goldsmith where Salazar and Penelope still stood, speaking to each other and the wizard behind the open stand-like front.


“Severus, Harry,” Salazar said, turning away from the goldsmith. “I hope you are both well today.”


“We are, thank you,” Snape said. “Might we occupy a bit of your time? There are some things we would like to know.”


Harry was grateful that the professor made it sound like they both wanted answers rather than it was just Harry being ignorant.


“Have you decided to stay then?” Penelope asked, also turning from the goldsmith, obviously done with their consultation.


“We have, though, there are some concerns we would like to address,” Snape said and Harry flushed at the knowing look he received from Salazar.


“Of course, and I am happy to answer any questions you might have,” Salazar said before turning to Penelope. “Find Arthur, and consult on the design and application. Speak with your uncle, if necessary.”


“I will, Papa,” Penelope said, and she smiled at Harry and Snape before she walked away.


Harry looked between her retreating back and Salazar, puzzled and curious.


“Penelope is working on creating a protective barrier charm that can be applied to an amulet to provide triggered protection for the wearer,” Salazar explained. “Due to the increasing threat from Morgan, the Council is requesting further protection for the Knights.”


“That’s possible?” Harry asked, surprised, having never heard of protective charms being attached to objects and made to activate with triggers.


“She is finding out,” Salazar said with a smile. “Now, how might I help you?”


“We would like to know more about the magic of your world,” Snape said. “It is quite different from our own.”


Salazar gave Harry another knowing glance, telling him the man knew Harry was the one with the magic concerns.


“Come, we’ll speak in the great hall,” Salazar said and led the way to the large building. Inside, there were a few villagers scattered around the tables and Salazar, Snape, and Harry sat at one of the small tables for four people. Glasses of water and a platter of scones with butter, marmalade, and jam on the side appeared on the table.


“Eat,” Snape said to Harry, gesturing to the plate. “You’ve had little the last couple days.”


Embarrassed at being called out for his eating habits in front of Salazar while simultaneously warmed that Snape apparently cared about something as simple as Harry eating, he grabbed a scone with tilted lips that wanted to be both a smile and a scowl.


“What would you like to know?” Salazar asked, sitting back in his chair and crossing his legs.


“Potter,” Snape said.


Harry swallowed thickly at being put on the spot. Embarrassed again, this time at having his ineptitude put on display, he cleared his throat awkwardly. “Um, I…I guess I’ve been confused about the whole Black Magic and Dark Magic thing. I’ve only ever heard of Light and Dark Magic in our world.”


“The concepts of Black and White Magic are mentioned in obscure texts, but they have not existed in practice in centuries,” Snape added, providing Salazar with more context.


“That is unfortunate,” Salazar said. “Losing such distinctions would make classification quite difficult and vague.”


“So, it’s not different types of magic, it’s just labels?” Harry asked.


“Yes and no,” Salazar said. “Magic has branches based on intent, use, result, origin, and the like. In this way, all magic is different.”


“What’s the difference between Black and Dark Magic?” Harry asked, intrigued.


“Would I be correct to assume your world applies the binaries of good and evil to your Light and Dark Magic?” Salazar asked.


“Yes, that is correct,” Snape said while Harry nodded.


“A common way to approach magic, but you must understand, magic is complicated and such concepts do not exist naturally,” Salazar said. “Rather, distinguishing magic depends on intent and result, as well as the user. White and Black Magic, while individual types of magic themselves, are also the ‘areas’ that encompass other branches that are of similar nature to White and Black Magic.”


“So, magic like Necromancy or Mind Magic?” Harry said, thinking of how Morgan used such magic and was called the ‘Dark Sorceress’.


“Both are branches of Black Magic as they share similar characteristics,” Salazar said. “Black Magic is any magic with elements of control, manipulation, or forced change. It is not meant to help or hurt, but simply exists as magic that can impact the world in a way that would not occur naturally.”


“So, what’s Dark Magic then?” Harry asked, trying to keep the information straight and make sense of it.


“Dark Magic is magic whose intent and result is to cause harm,” Salazar said.


“And White Magic is the opposite then?” Harry asked.


“To an extent,” Salazar said and Harry tilted his head in curiosity. “White Magic is selfless magic that is to help, protect, and teach. It does encompass any magic in direct contrast to Black Magic, but is not necessarily its opposite.”


Harry nodded slowly, adding the information to his growing understanding.


“And, as I assume you will ask, Light Magic, a branch of White Magic, is magic based in and requiring positive emotion,” Salazar said with a knowing smile.


“Like the Patronus Charm,” Harry said and Salazar nodded approvingly.


“If Black Magic is not considered ‘evil’, why are some branches forbidden, such as Necromancy?” Snape asked.


“Necromancy is the only branch truly forbidden, though Dark Magic is frowned upon due to it being magic whose intent is to cause harm,” Salazar said. “Necromancy, however, is forbidden due to its desecration of the dead, and manipulation of the natural balance between life and death. If you want to learn more, you can take the Magical Theory class at Hogwarts,” he added to Harry.


“How do you know I’d be going to Hogwarts?” Harry asked, glancing at Snape.


“I told you arrangements had to be made if we are to stay and you are continuing your education,” Snape said. “This is not negotiable.”


“But, how am I supposed to do any magic? There are no wands here,” Harry said, doing his best to hide his fear of being a failure in another world in front of his world’s role models.


Salazar gave Snape a questioning look.


“Wands are how magic is used in our world,” Snape explained. “Everyone gets one at eleven. Wandless magic is not taught and is quite rare.”


“Fascinating,” Salazar said. “We do have wands, but only for those that require a conduit. The majority of people use wandless and it is how magic is taught. Magic flows naturally in the world and it is far easier to use when it is treated as such.”


“I’ve never used wandless magic though,” Harry said. “Only really powerful wizards can do wandless magic.”


“It is not as difficult as it may seem,” Salazar said. “It would seem only powerful wizards can do wandless magic when you have only ever performed magic with a wand. A wand directs magic very specifically and restricts it to provide control. Wandless magic uses the natural flow of magic’s existence, and simply needs focus and intent.”


Harry was still skeptical, but found himself interested to give it a try, to do magic he’d never thought he’d be capable of. The conviction in Salazar that he could easily pick up on the magic of their world was also inspiring in a way he hadn’t expected.


“If it is something you are concerned about, we can ensure you are caught up to your peers before the school year begins. We and the professors here in Camelot would be more than happy to help you,” Salazar said. “In fact, Godric and Guinevere frequently duel with the students that live here in the village as Godric is Hogwarts’ Defensive Magic professor and runs the Duelling Club, and Guinevere, of course, is Camelot’s master of duelling. You are more than welcome to join.”


Harry couldn’t help the widening of his eyes at the idea of learning to duel from Godric Gryffindor and Lady Guinevere, who he was still trying to wrap his head around being a genius at battle strategy and duelling.


“Now, if you do wish to attend Hogwarts, there are some logistics we would have to discuss,” Salazar said. “Classes and your House, for instance. And, Severus, have you given thought to our proposal?”


Harry looked at Snape questioningly.


“If Mr. Potter agrees to attend, then, yes, I will accept the position,” Snape said and Harry frowned.


“You’re making decisions based on me?” Harry said, confused by anyone bringing him into their considerations. Decisions weren’t made to include or accommodate him; he was just dragged along and expected to obey.


“Well, I’m not about to leave you to your own devices in an entirely different time,” Snape said. “I can hardly do that in our time.”


“Hey!” Harry said, affronted, and he scowled at the man’s smirk and Salazar’s smile of amusement.


“That being said, should you agree to return to Hogwarts, I will as well,” Snape said.


“He would co-teach Potions alongside Adeline,” Salazar said. “She is new to the position, and Severus has both experience and an impressive mastery. He would teach the upper years.”


“You hate teaching,” Harry said, even more confused why Snape would agree to teach again.


“I hate teaching the younger years,” Snape clarified. “It is irrelevant in any case. I refuse to leave you on your own.”


Harry frowned down at his scone, utterly confounded by the professor’s choices and how much they included Harry.


“Given your explanations of the magic here, I am curious about when we first arrived and you said you found Black Magic in the both of us,” Snape said and Harry looked back at the Slytherin Founder, remembering that first day in Camelot.


“Due to the nature of Black Magic, it can manifest in all forms,” Salazar said. “A deeper examination would be required to identify what exists within you that is Black Magic, but, in a more general sense, I simply identified areas to which a form of Black Magic is attached, whether natural or imposed. If it is imposed magic and impacting you negatively, it is possible it could be removed.”


Harry noticed the way Snape’s left arm twitched and he realized the Dark Mark must be one of the Black Magic spots Salazar had identified. Harry thought of the spots Salazar had found in him and began to wonder just what his scar really was.

To be continued...


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=3909