Life As We Know It by TheLostBoys333
Summary:

Harry Potter is no stranger to life turning out completely different to what he could have ever expected. He was an abused boy with murdered parents who turned out to be a wizard and the target of a dark lord after all. Given everything that had happened since he entered the wizarding world, he was used to his life being turned upside down. However, as the world gets torn apart by Voldemort's raging war in his 5th year, Harry is about to discover that everything he thought he knew all this time was a terrible lie and threatens to destroy everything he's created.


Categories: Teacher Snape > Professor Snape, Parental Snape > Guardian Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Draco, Dumbledore, Hermione, James, Lily, Lucius, Luna, Neville, Other, Remus, Ron, Shacklebolt, Sirius, Voldemort
Snape Flavour: Canon Snape, Snape Comforts, Snape Disciplines , Snape is Kind, Snape is Loving, Snape is Stern
Genres: Action/Adventure, Angst, Drama, Family, Fluff, Humor, Hurt/Comfort, Mystery
Media Type: Story
Tags: Adoption, Alternate Universe
Takes Place: 5th summer, 5th Year
Warnings: Character Bashing, Character Death, Out of Character, Panic attack, Violence
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 8 Completed: No Word count: 30503 Read: 1974 Published: 11 Nov 2023 Updated: 02 May 2024
Chapter 3 by TheLostBoys333
Author's Notes:

A little train aftermath, more insight into Harry's past with Severus, and first meeting of the year's Defence professor.

I have chosen NOT to include Umbridge in this story for a couple of reasons:

1. I love writing during 5th year, but it gets a little tedious writing the same thing all the time with Umbridge and the Blood Quill, so I am cutting it out this time.

2. It would not work in this universe. Severus would know something was going on, and Harry and his friends would tell someone immediately because they actually have trusted adults in their lives, so it would just be pointless to include Umbridge and the Blood Quill. Another ass of a professor however... :P

I hope you enjoy. If you do, please, leave a review. Thank you!

 

"No, no deaths. Several injured, but they will all be fine in a few days. Meant to be more to scare, it seems, and prove they can get to our children anywhere...no, don't come back. There is nothing you can do here and we need this recon...he'll be alright...magical depletion...Kingsley said he pulled a dozen students from the train while also holding shields around his friends...yes, he is extraordinary, but also absurdly reckless...no thanks to you...just be safe, both of you, and we'll see you at Halloween...I'll tell him...goodbye."

Harry rolled his head on the pillow as he heard the one side of the Firecall to look over at the door as it opened and Severus walked in. His father was dressed in his usual robes, but without his heavy outer robe he usually wore while teaching. Harry shuffled sluggishly to try and sit up, wincing at how his body ached. Severus helped prop him just slightly against his pillow before sitting on the bed next to him, leaning over his legs with his hand on the bed.

"Welcome back to the land of the living," Severus said dryly.

"How long has it been?" Harry asked, gratefully drinking some water from the glass Severus helped him with.

"Only a day," Severus said. "It is currently ten a.m. on what would normally be the second day of classes."

"Normally?" Harry said.

"Albus has delayed the start of classes until next Monday to allow the injured to heal and sort the first years," Severus said. "The Sorting will be happening tomorrow now."

"Is everyone okay?" Harry asked, thinking of all his friends. He remembered Alecto on top of Draco, Ron and Luna screaming, and the tumbling of their train car. He remembered the glass in his leg and the cuts covering his friends. He remembered the fires, the glass, and the destroyed train.

"Harry. Harry, look at me, child."

Harry hadn't realized his eyes had closed or that his breathing had sped up, his heart pounding hard in his chest. He became aware of it all along with his painfully tight and twisted stomach and the feeling of water rushing in his ears. He recognized the panic attack now and forced his eyes open to focus on his father. Severus' hand came to rest on his leg under the blanket, a warm weight that always helped ground him, and Beethoven began to play quietly.

"You know how to do this. Just breathe slowly. Feel the blanket, feel my hand, hear the music," Severus said and Harry listened, picking out all the things of comfort he could see, feel, and hear. 

Panic attacks were a semi-common occurrence. He'd had them well before he ever met Severus or entered the wizarding world. Not that Vernon had ever needed a reason to hurt Harry, but when he'd pretended he had a reason other than Harry's mere existence, Harry's panic attacks were often on the list. Severus had quickly identified the attacks for what they were and learned how to help Harry through them, particularly as they became more severe with every traumatic event he experienced upon his entrance to the wizarding world. Oddly, they weren't as common-Severus theorized it was because he now had people he could turn to for comfort-but they had become more intense when he didhave them.

It took a few minutes, but Harry was soon calmed and sinking back into his pillow. Panic attacks always left him exhausted, even more so this time given he was still recovering from the train attack. Severus reached out and brushed back Harry's hair.

"Now, everyone is alright or they will be," Severus said. "All of your friends that required treatment have already been released and are settled in their common rooms. There were no deaths and severe injury was avoided thanks to you, your friends, and the Order members. The worst injured will be released by the end of the week."

Harry let out a sigh of relief.

"Would you care to tell me what you were thinking?" Severus said, his caring, soothing tone turning stern.

Harry groaned lightly. "Dad."

"No, explain," Severus said firmly.

Harry sighed again, this time in resignation. "I was just trying to help and protect everyone."

"So, you Apparate nearly a dozen students out of a train car while repelling three Death Eaters and holding four shields?" Severus said. "You know better than to use so much magic. You have not had such serious magical depletion since third year."

Harry dropped his eyes in the face of his father's concern and disappointment. Magical depletion was a serious risk for him, ever since his tenth birthday when Vernon nearly beat him to death. His magic had fought so hard to keep him alive that his core nearly burned out, causing it permanent damage. Now, if he used too much magic, he experienced magical depletion which came with an array of symptoms: weakness, exhaustion, migraines, chills, tremours, dizziness, and nausea. He was also unable to use magic until his core replenished. It was a serious condition as, if he experienced magical depletion too many times, he was at risk of his core being unable to replenish which would leave him without magic all together. It was a condition his friends, family, and professors were aware of, all having been given strict instruction from Severus on the signs and how to respond if he wasn't present.

On the other side of having a damaged core was also access to excess, powerful magic. He had a large amount of magic consistently leaking out of his core, remaining untethered to his core. It was extraordinarily powerful magic that Harry could tap into in extreme situations, even allowing him to forcibly Apparate people places as he did at the train. It was a double-edged sword, excess magic that could easily lead to depletion if used.

"I am not angry. What you did was remarkable, but it was also incredibly dangerous," Severus said and Harry looked back at his father. Severus sighed as their eyes met and Harry knew he'd given his father ‘the look' that usually got him anything he wanted. "I am proud of you for what you did."

Harry gave a small smile, always warmed when he made his father proud.

"Anymore nausea?" Severus asked.

Harry shook his head. "Mostly just really tired."

Apparently satisfied, Severus gently pulled Harry up and into a hug. Harry held to his father tight, resting against the broad chest.

"I was so worried when we got Kingsley's Patronus," Severus said quietly.

"I know, I'm sorry," Harry mumbled, "but I'm okay."

"You will be," Severus said. "You are on bedrest for three days."

Harry pulled back, gaping up at his father. "Three days?" he said disbelievingly.

"Minimum," Severus said. "Your depletion was severe this time."

Harry pulled away from his father and fell back against the pillow with a huff, crossing his arms over his chest. "Why do I feel like I'm being punished?"

"If you feel that way, you are doing it to yourself, for I have no intention of punishing you. Magical depletion is punishment enough, I think," Severus said. "Especially as you will be unable to do any magic for the first two days of class."

"Dad!" Harry exclaimed, outraged.

"You know the danger you are in if you do not take the proper precautions to recover," Severus said, tone firm once again. "We will inform your professors and they will understand. They all know of your condition."

Harry scowled down at his blanket-clad legs, annoyed and hating his uncle for doing this to him. He honestly didn't think about the Dursleys often anymore, except in these types of situations, and the reminder of what he now lived with as a result of his uncle's abuse always made him despise Vernon even more. He heard his father sigh, but kept his eyes down even as his hair was brushed back again.

"Get some rest, my son," Severus said quietly and left the room.

Harry threw himself back down on the bed and glared up at the ceiling.


Harry and Draco looked up and all conversations stopped as the classroom door opened. They all watched as their new Defense professor strolled up to the front of the room, leaning against his desk. He was young; couldn't be more than thirty-five. He was tall and seemed to be fairly muscular under his robes which were tailored to fit his physique quite closely. His base robe set was fairly standard with the wide trousers, though his were more fitted, and the long waistcoat over what was likely an Oxford. His outer robe, however, was far more similar to a well-fitted, asymmetrical overcoat. It fell to his knees though at a slant so the left side hung lower into a point over his calf. It had large cuffs and a high, stiff collar. A long row of unclasped buttons ran up nearly the entire front. A glittering gold chain was clasped on to the lapel and disappeared into a breast pocket that had a ‘G' embroidered. His face was long and slim with high cheekbones, a sharp nose, and a pointed chin. His eyes were a startlingly icy blue, made brighter by his copper skin. His hair was an ochre with hints of red. It was short, cut just around the ears and cheekbones to frame his eyes, straight and parted just to the side so some hair consistently hung just at the corner of his right eye.

"Good morning," he said though his tone was lacking friendliness and his gaze remained hard as he stared around the room. "I am Professor Grey, a duelling master and former raid strategist for the Aurors."

Harry shared a glance with Draco and Ron to his other side at the man's not-so-subtle bragging, feeling unsure about the man.

"I have to admit, the records and results for this class from the last four years are pathetic," Grey said and Harry raised an eyebrow at the harsh observation. Sure, Defense seemed to always have a rough go of it, but it hadn't been thatterrible. After all, Remus had been amazing and fake Moody did teach them some pretty important aspects of the Dark Arts. "As it is your OWLs year, it is now up to me to make sure you're ready, though I will be surprised if you know anything at all."

Harry narrowed his eyes, bristling at the insult.

"You best all be ready to put in a lot of work. I only accept the best from anyone, doesn't matter who you are," Grey said. "Slack off once, don't bother coming back."

Harry bit his lip to hold back the anger that had begun to bubble in his gut now. Glancing around showed some anger and concern among the rest of the students as well.

"Now, let's see what you can do," Grey said. "Get up and into pairs. Show me Disarming Spells, Stunning Spells, Reviving Spells, and Binding Spells."

There was second of hesitation at Grey's gruffness, but soon everyone was standing and grabbing partners. Once all the students were standing, Grey flicked his wand and all the chairs and desks flew to the side of the room. Everyone spread around the room and began casting spells at each other. Effectiveness and accuracy among the class was split about half and half.

Harry sighed, annoyed at being unable to use magic, but shook it off and moved around the room instead, helping everyone else. Anytime he'd been on restriction in the past, he'd always been allowed to wander and help his classmates, the professors all praising his ability to help the students learn.

"Were my instructions unclear or am I correct and you are the professor of this class?" Grey said, coming over to Harry as he was helping Parvati with her wand movement.

Harry turned to face Grey, surprised at the man's apparent anger. "Sorry, Professor, but I thought you knew. I can't do any magic for a couple days, so I was just helping out."

"I do not condone refusal of work," Grey said and Harry frowned as the rest of the class stopped what they were doing to watch the interaction.

"I'm not refusing, sir," Harry said. "I'm recovering from magical depletion."

Grey scoffed. "No one can produce enough magic for depletion, certainly not a fifteen-year-old."

Harry glanced at his friends who all seemed enraged and ready to jump into the conflict. He subtly shook his head at them.

"Do as I've instructed or get out of my class," Grey said harshly.

"I can't," Harry said. "You should have received a notice explaining my condition and needing a couple days."

"I received no such notice and no one gets special treatment," Grey said dismissively.

"It's not special treatment," Harry said, getting frustrated, but trying to stay calm. "If you talk to my father, this can all be sorted out."

Harry saw Grey's eyes flick to his forehead and sighed.

"Potter," Grey said in recognition, though it seemed to be very unimpressed recognition. "Your parents are dead."

Gasps echoed in the room. Behind Grey, Draco and Ron made to charge at the professor, but were held back by Hermione and Neville.

"How dare you?" Lavender said, staring at Grey with wide, appalled eyes.

Harry clenched his fists, struggling now to keep his anger under control. "I was adopted four years ago."

Grey sneered. "My sympathies to the poor folks."

More gasps complete with loud murmuring and glares. Grey was not endearing himself to the fifth years.

"What the hell is your problem?" Ron shouted, now held back by both Hermione and Dean though they looked ready to let him go.

"Disrespect and arrogance," Grey said, never moving his eyes from Harry. "I do not tolerate them. Now, Mr. Potter, you can either do as I've instructed or leave and serve detention."

"That's not fair!" Seamus cried.

"He told you he can't do magic," Draco said angrily.

"As if I believe that," Grey said, scoffing again. "Magical depletion is impossible for a mere fifteen-year-old."

"Not if his core is damaged, which it is," Hermione said.

"Talk to his father," Neville said. "He's got all the medical records."

"Find me the ghost of James Potter and I'll listen," Grey said, gaining cries of outrage from the class. "Until then, out of my classroom, Mr. Potter. Detention on Friday and do not return to class until you can follow instructions."

Harry glowered at the man before pushing past him to grab his bag. There were mumbles of anger and disbelief as he stormed from the classroom, slamming the door behind him. He immediately headed down through the castle, heading directly for the dungeons. He found the door with vines and leaves carved into it, and pushed it open, feeling the handle tingle as he was recognized. He stomped over to the sofa and threw himself onto it, chucking his bag to the floor. He snatched the sketchpad and pencil from the coffee table, and flipped to a new page, beginning to scribble.

"Harry?"

Harry looked up briefly, finding Severus stepping out of the small study with furrowed eyebrows.

"What are you doing here? You should be in class," Severus said. "You had better not be skipping again."

Harry scowled at the reference to the month in second year where he had skipped Defense repeatedly to escape Lockhart and the taunting about his Parseltongue abilities. He scratched at the sketchpad aggressively.

"I'm not," Harry said shortly. "I was kicked out."

"Kicked out?" Severus repeated in confused surprise. He walked over to the sitting area and sat next to Harry by his feet. "What happened?"

Harry glowered at his sketch as he continued drawing. "Grey kicked me out for not following instructions and refusing to do work."

"I assume there is a reason for these things," Severus said.

"He was having everyone cast some spells and I can't use magic, so I was helping like always and he got angry," Harry said.

"I sent a notice to all of your professors, so he should have known what was going on," Severus said.

"He said he didn't get it," Harry said, his pencil strokes slowing down.

"Did you explain?" Severus asked.

"I tried, so did my friends, but he didn't listen. He said I couldn't have magical depletion," Harry said. "I told him to talk to you, so did Neville, but..." he trailed off, remembering with a frown.

"Harry?" Severus pressed.

Harry sighed. "When I told him to talk to my father, he looked at my scar and said my parents are dead and made some comment about ghosts to Neville."

"I beg your pardon?" Severus said.

"When I told him I was adopted, he said ‘my sympathies to them' or something like that," Harry said.

Severus' eyes blazed with rage. "I swear, Albus needs to start getting proper professors."

"Hey, Remus was great," Harry argued. "It's not Dumbledore's fault you want to kill every Defense professor."

"Harry, it is appalling he would say such things to you, inappropriate at the very least," Severus said. "He cannot treat you this way, particularly not when he was made aware of a legitimate medical condition."

Harry sighed and dropped his gaze to his haphazard sketch, tapping his pencil on the page. "I know. I just don't want to cause a problem."

"Do not even go there," Severus said and then placed a hand on Harry's knee. "Are you alright?" he asked, his tone far gentler.

Harry looked up at his father and nodded with a small half-smile. "I'm okay. Honestly, I think everyone else was angrier than I was."

"As they should be," Severus said and Harry chuckled.

"He gave me detention, too, and said I couldn't go back until I could follow instructions," Harry said, feeling bad when his father pinched the bridge of his nose, clearly annoyed and on the verge of a headache. He chewed his lip. It was only the morning of the first day and he was already stressing Severus out.

"Enough, child," Severus said and a finger tapped Harry's chin, making him stop biting his lip. "You have done nothing wrong. I will take care of it."

Harry gave another small, unsure smile.

"How was the rest of your morning? How was History of Magic?" Severus asked.

Harry snorted. "I don't know, Dad, what was it like for you twenty years ago because it hasn't changed."

Severus rolled his eyes and stood from the sofa. "Are you staying here for the period?"

"Can I?" Harry asked.

Severus nodded. "Just don't be late for your next class."

"I won't," Harry said, settling more into the sofa and turning back to his drawing. He just smiled as Severus' fingers ran through his hair as the man returned to the study.


Harry blew out a breath and crossed his arms over his chest as he leaned against the wall beside the classroom door. He glanced at his watch, raising an eyebrow. Severus had been in there talking to Grey for nearly twenty-five minutes and class was due to start in ten. He liked to think the lack of crashing and breaking and cursing was a good sign, but he was well-aware how dangerous a calm, quiet Severus Snape could be.

"Harry."

He looked down the corridor to see his friends coming towards him.

"Grey let you come back?" Ron said.

"He's about to," Harry said, giving the door a pointed look and watching his friends grimace. "Dad was furious."

"As he should be," Hermione said almost indignantly and Harry grinned at her repetition of his father's words about his friends being angry at Grey on his behalf. The door opened then and Severus walked out. Harry and his friends looked at him with not-so-subtle questions in their eyes.

Severus glanced at them before looking at Harry. "Have a good day, Harry."

Harry just nodded and watched his father sweep down the hall. He and his friends shrugged at each other and they entered the classroom. Grey was leaning against his desk, arms over his chest as he glowered down at the floor. They all took their seats, the class filling before Grey lifted his gaze. When he did, he instantly found Harry and his eyes narrowed before he pushed away from his desk roughly and turned his back on the class to face the chalkboard.

Harry and Draco glanced at each other, eyebrows raised at the professor's attitude.

"Open your theory books," Grey snapped. "You can thank Mr. Potter for the lack of practical work today."

Grey looked over his shoulder at the class almost expectantly, only to scowl and turn back to the chalkboard. Obviously, he'd thought the class would be angry at Harry and was promptly annoyed when that wasn't the reaction he got. Basically the entire school knew about Harry's condition and were perfectly fine with any accommodations that had to occasionally be made temporarily. All witches and wizards were aware of how dangerous magical depletion could be, particularly for a young person whose core wasn't yet fully developed.

It was a tense, uncomfortable period as Grey lectured briskly about the distinctions between Dark, offensive, and defensive magic and their histories. They all took notes silently, recognizing with annoyance any time Grey insulted a past professor and their apparent lack of knowledge. Harry could feel them all growing defensive, knowing they were more than capable.

Finally, the lecture ended and Grey turned to them, retaking the stance he'd been in when class began.

"Be prepared to do practical work on Thursday, no excuse," Grey said, giving Harry another look that bordered on a glare. "We are going to run an in-class duelling tournament in order to test your skills and improvement throughout the year. The winner will get a special opportunity."

Harry wasn't sure how to feel about the man's bribery. The bell rang and everyone began to pack up.

"Potter, stay behind," Grey said sharply and Harry sighed, waving his friends on ahead.

Harry waited until everyone was gone before walking up to the professor and looked at Grey somewhat impatiently. The man had not exactly made the best first impression.

"I hope you know there will be no more special treatment," Grey said. "Having a supposed parent on staff entitles you to nothing in my classroom."

"Supposed?" Harry repeated tightly, growing angry again.

Grey scowled at him. "A brat who's gotten everything for nothing, but not here. You will put in the work or you will fail."

Harry gritted his teeth. "I expect nothing less, Professor."

Grey's eyes raked him up and down with a sneer. "We'll see."

Harry left at Grey's gruff dismissal, seething as he headed to the Great Hall for dinner, ready to discuss with his friends just what Grey's problem could be.

To be continued...


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=3910