Serendipity by Winger-Hawk
Summary: (UPDATED: APR 02 2011) Snape wakes up from a coma to a new world in which Voldemort is dead and gone, defeated by Harry Potter. Deciding he has nothing more to live for, he tries to end his life, but things don't quite work out the way he planned. Harry gets pulled in by Dumbledore to assist with Snape's...little dilemma.
Categories: Reverse Roles > Parental Harry Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Draco, Dumbledore, Ginny, Hermione, Remus, Ron, Sirius, Tonks
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Drama, General, Hurt/Comfort, Supernatural
Media Type: None
Tags: Adoption, Alternate Universe, Baby fic, Deaging, SuperPower! Harry
Takes Place: 8 - Pre Epilogue (adult Harry)
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys, Physical Punishment Spanking, Neglect, Romance/Het
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 47 Completed: No Word count: 382664 Read: 548397 Published: 11 Sep 2009 Updated: 21 Aug 2010
Close Encounters by Winger-Hawk
Author's Notes:
As Harry, Ginny, and Sev help the Lupins move in to the quarters next door, Sirius, Ron, and Hermione show up unexpectedly, prompting the trio to think on their feet.

“Oh, it’s gorgeous!” Tonks gasped.

“Why thank you.” Ginny grinned. “Although, Harry did most of the work. Sev and I picked out the designs, though.” She elaborated. “The layout of the quarters is exactly like the layout of ours, but the designs and the themes of each room are all different. Of course, if you don’t like it, you can change it around however you want.”

“It’s perfect, Ginny! Remus, isn’t it perfect?” She asked over her shoulder.

“I’ll elaborate on how perfect it is later, sweetheart, but for now you need to move.” The werewolf grunted behind them. Both ladies jumped aside as Remus and Harry came through the door, carrying several boxes each. Severus rolled in on his walker behind them, chewing on his teething snitch and grinning.

He stopped at Tonks’ feet and looked up at the baby in her arms, smiling. “Peb-by?”

Amazingly, the little metamorphamagus recognized his name, turned towards Severus and cooed. “Ah!”

“AH!”

“Severus, I like your shirt!” Tonks complimented.

Ginny had dressed the infant in a pair of cargo trousers, trainers, a blue plaid outer shirt, which was unbuttoned, and a white t-shirt that read ‘Little Kid’ across the front. “If you like that, you’ve only seen the half of it.” She murmured to Tonks. “Look at what Harry’s wearing.”

Tonks glanced over and noticed that Harry was clad in a pair of blue jeans, trainers, and a form-fitting grey shirt that read ‘Big Kid’ across the front. “Merlin’s name!” Tonks cracked up. “Big Kid-Little Kid! Where did you buy that? When did you buy that? And where the heck was I?”

“I got it the other day when we went to Diagon Alley. I forgot where you were. You went somewhere with Remus for a few minutes. I was going to tell you about it but it slipped my mind.” Ginny replied softly. “I also have a pair that say ‘Me’ and ‘Mini Me’, but I’m saving those for later, when Severus is a bit more comfortable with the situation.”

“PEB-BY!”

“Coo!”

“Sev, love, maybe you can go and play with Teddy over there in their living room, okay?” Ginny suggested.

“I’ll put Teddy on his bouncer, so he’ll be at eye level with you.” Tonks added. “Gin, would you help me look for it? It’s in one of the boxes with his name on it.” As they exited into the box-filled hall, Severus trailed behind them in his walker, babbling at the two-month-old.

Remus’ quarters were directly across the hall from Harry’s. A painting of two white wolves with piercing blue eyes, standing amidst a snowy forest with a wolf cub between them, now guarded the entrance to their new den. The moving had started early that day. Ginny had come over just before they started to watch Severus, and had ended up falling back to sleep along with him on Harry’s bed. It had taken Harry, Remus, and Tonks an entire hour and a half to transport all the boxes from the Tonks residence to Hogwarts. Now all the boxes were piled in the hall and the group was moving them in one by one in order to simplify the unpacking process. Both portrait holes were open, as Remus’ fireplace had yet to be connected to the Floo Network and thus they had to use Harry’s floo in case they forgot something. As soon as Severus got the hang of using his new walker, he had the time of his life running from Harry’s quarters to Remus’ and back unhindered.

“Dora, do you know where I packed my collection of Transylvanian Ceremonial Draculean Masks?”
“What did those look like again?”
“They’re the wooden ones, sweetheart.”
“Dora, is this the box with Teddy’s bouncer?”
“It might be. Just check inside it.”
“My masks, love?”
“Remus, all your masks are wooden ones. You’re going to have to be a little more specific.”
“Whoooooooooooooooooo!”
“Ehm…they’re um…rather vampire-ish…Where do you want the record player, by the—WHOA! Hey!”
“SEVERUS! Stop trying to plow people over!”
“I think I found the Bouncer!”
“Oh…those masks…”
“WHOOOOOOOO!”
“Excuse me!”
“Ahhhhhhhhhhh!”
No plowing people over or I’m taking you out of your walker.”
“Yeah, that’s Teddy’s bouncer.”
MO!!!”
“It’s adorable!”
“This is your final warning. You want to pass someone? You say ‘excuse me’.”
“Hun? The record player? My masks?”
“Put the record player in the den, sweetheart.”
“Coo meh…”
“Pardon me?”
“We bought it in Alkyds and Moore a while ago.”
“Thank you. Now go apologize to Remus.”
“I don’t remember seeing it there.”
“Owy…”
“Pa—Pardon me, Gentlemen...Ladies?”
“It’s quite alright, Severus.”
“…”
“Shake the man’s hand, Sev.”
“Excuse me?”
“I’ll show it to you the next time we go there.”
“There! You see? Not so bad—”
“AHEM! Sir Henry!”

All four adults and both babies shut up at Merlin’s exclamation and turned to the great wizard’s painting. “Yes, Sir Merlin?”

“I do apologize for shutting the entrance to your quarters while you were in the midst of this moving, but I must say, Sir Henry. A young gentleman flooed into your fireplace a few minutes ago and I do not recognize him as anyone you have allowed in yet.”

“A young gentleman?” Harry asked, alarmed.

“Yes. Well…he’s relatively young. I have trapped him inside in the meantime until I could check with you. He is quite confused right now and is demanding to be let out.”

“Remus?” Harry questioned.

The werewolf shook his head. “No…I don’t know. Dora?”

“Well we know a lot of young gentlemen. Would you please describe him for us, Sir Merlin?” Tonks asked.

All of a sudden, there was a loud banging from the other side of the portrait hole, accompanied by some muffled, angry shouts.

“He is about five foot nine, has dark brown, curly hair, brown eyes, a goatee—”

“Sirius!” Remus realized.

All of a sudden, Severus began to bounce agitatedly in his walker. “MO!!!”

Thump! Thump! Thump!

“He is demanding to be let out.”

“MO! MO! HAWEH!”

“Now two others have flooed in as well.” Merlin added. “The first is a young gentleman with bright red hair and the other is a young lady with brown bushy hair.”

“Ron! Hermione!” Ginny gasped, exchanging a frantic look at Harry.

“MOOOOOOOO!” Sev’s eyes began to glisten.

“What’s going on, Sirius?” They could hear Hermione’s muffled voice on the other side of the door.

“Where the bloody hell are we? These aren’t Harry’s quarters!” As well as Ron’s.

“Come on, Sev.” Harry finally said, reaching over and lifting the infant out of his walker. “We’re going to see Madame Pomfrey for that check-up now.”

“Yes!” Remus added, snapping his fingers. “You three just stay out of the way. Dora, Teddy, and I will keep them distracted for the rest of the day.” He picked up Sev’s walker, shrunk it, and stuck it in Harry’s pocket.

“Yeah, we’ll call you when they’ve gone.” Tonks agreed.

“Wait! We’re going to need Sev’s diaper bag.” Harry remembered, as he tucked the infant into the crook of his arm.

“I’ll get it, Harry. Just go!” Ginny answered, pushing them down the hallway, towards the staircase.

Thump! Thump! Thump!

“Be sure to get my broom too.” Harry responded over his shoulder. “We’ll just go flying for the rest of the day. Maybe go for a picnic.” He was about to turn a corner when he suddenly remembered something. “Thank you, Sir Merlin!” He called.

“You are quite welcome, Sir Henry.” The painting replied kindly.

“You too, Remus! And Tonks!”

“PEB-BY!”

“Yes, yes. GO, Harry!” Remus cried, making shooing motions with his hands.

Thump! Thump! Thump!

Harry quickly turned the corner and then speed-walked down several more halls before he slowed to a decent pace at the entrance to the stone bridge.

“Well…” He started, pushing the door open and pausing on the walkway to take a breath. “That was fun! Eh?” He jingled Sev lightly on his hip, and began rubbing a soothing hand up and down his back.”

“Eh…Eeeeeeeennnnnnk…ooo.” The infant said, leaning against Harry’s chest and signing ‘thank you’ with his free hand.

“Sev…” Harry sighed, pushing open the door that led to the Clock Tower. “I wasn’t going to make you face him until you were good and ready.” He told the infant. “And even then, I would’ve had a long and thorough discussion with him beforehand about old grudges…” he emphasized strongly, “…and letting them go.” The child now had his ear against Harry’s chest, and was listening to his caretaker’s heartbeat with his thumb in his mouth. “Do I need to have the same discussion with you?”

You’re one to talk! Severus scoffed internally. I don’t see you letting go of your grudge with Malfoy!

“Mamoy.” He murmured around his thumb.

Harry rolled his eyes. “Malfoy?! Malfoy is a—” Is a what, Harry?! The teenager berated himself internally. Is a what? A different story? Go ahead! Tell him that; it’s all he needs to hear! Don’t be a two-faced bastard, Potter! Ginny warned you about this yesterday. Malfoy and Sirius are not different stories. They’re the same story in different languages. Just like you and Sev are the same story in different languages. Tell this to him, Harry…and you might as well be telling it to yourself.

Harry swallowed. “Look, Sev…” He started again in a much gentler voice, pausing to sit on one of the benches that lined the hallway to the Infirmary. “…all I’m asking…is for tolerance.” He said, after a moment of contemplation.

Harry leaned back slightly, so he could look the baby in the eye. “You’re right.” He admitted reluctantly. “Me asking you to get over Sirius is like me asking myself to get over Malfoy. You’re right.” He sighed. “So instead I’m going to ask you to do what Ginny had me do yesterday—learn to live with him.” He watched as Severus’ eyebrows furrowed. “It’s hard. I know. Trust me…I really do. But you remember what Ginny said yesterday, don’t you?” Sev nodded hesitantly. “There’s a line between being in the right and being in the wrong.” The teenager paused, and then smirked at the baby. “And to add my own personal spin to things…I realized yesterday that what defines a man is not how close he can come to that line, it’s how far he can stay away from it…” he leaned in close to whisper in Sev’s ear, “…no matter how much he wants to cross it.” He pulled away to study the infant’s face. “That’s what defines a man.”

Severus rolled Harry’s words around in his head. What defines a man…

“Will you at least try to think about it, please?”

Severus nodded wordlessly Harry rewarded him with a smile. “Thank you.” The teen glanced at the closed infirmary doors. “Now…shall we get this over with?” He stood, baby firmly in his arms, and walked into Pomfrey’s den.

“Good morning, Mr. Potter, Mr. Snape.” The matron greeted sharply, but her smile softened her words. “Or shall I say Professor Potter now, hmm?”

Harry blushed. “Morning, Madame Pomfrey.” He nudged Severus, but the infant merely nodded into his shirt, refusing to move his thumb from his mouth.

“I trust Mr. Lupin and his family have moved in without a problem this morning?” The healer asked, directing them towards one of the beds.

“Yes.” Harry started, but paused. “Well…there was a tiny hitch.” He amended, dropping onto the bed, Severus still in his arms.

“Oh?”

“Yeah, um…Sirius sort of showed up.” Harry grimaced. “Ron as well.”

Pomfrey raised an eyebrow. “I didn’t realize you were so averse to seeing your godfather and best friend.” She commented, retrieving a spell book from a nearby cabinet.

“It’s not that.” Harry shook his head. “It’s just…” He paused. “I think it would do well for my own peace of mind if I had a long discussion with Sirius before I even allow him to be in the same room as Sev here.” He gestured towards his silent charge. “Ron as well.”

The healer looked surprised.

“What?”

“Before you even allow him to be in the same room as Severus?” Pomfrey repeated, the corners of her lips twitching slightly.

“Yeah.” Harry nodded, his eyebrows furrowing. “Is there something wrong with that?”

“No, no.” The matron answered offhandedly, taking out her wand and waving it at them in a seemingly random manner. “Nothing at all.” A flash of something flitted behind her eyes, and the twitching grew into a miniscule smile. Before Harry could question her any further, though, the healer changed the subject. “So where is Miss Weasley this morning, if I may?”

“She’s getting our stuff from our rooms.” Harry replied. “When Sirius, Ron, and Hermione flooed in unexpectedly, we were in Remus’ quarters, and Merlin had locked them in ours to check with us first, since he didn’t recognize them.”

“I bet Mr. Black didn’t like that very much.” Pomfrey commented with a slight smile.

“Boom, boom, boom!” Sev spoke up for the first time, peeking out of Harry’s shirt shyly.

Pomfrey looked startled. “Boom, boom, boom?”

“Sirius tried knocking down the door when Merlin wouldn’t let him out.” Harry elaborated. Sev giggled into his chest.

“Ah!” The matron nodded. “I see.” She checked something in her book before addressing Severus. “Mr. Snape, I am going to need to take a quick peek inside your mouth, if you please.”

Severus didn’t budge. “Come on, cub. The sooner we can get through this, the sooner we can get out of here.” He nudged the infant gently. Sev sighed, but did as he was bid, opening his mouth slightly.

“So I trust Albus, Minerva, and Horace filled you in on their investigations into Mr. Elson?” Pomfrey asked, lighting the tip of her wand and holding it at the entrance to Sev’s mouth.

“Yes.”

“Excellent!” Pulling her wand out of the infant’s mouth, Madame Pomfrey straightened up and put her wand away. “Okay. I think I’ve checked everything.” She slammed the book shut with one hand.

“And…?”

“Everything checks out, Mr. Potter.” She replied sharply. Turning around, she walked back to the bookshelf to replace the volume. “In fact, everything more than checks out.”

“What do you mean?”

“When I gave him his examination on Monday—just after he had consumed the potion—there were many things about his system that worried me.” Task done, she walked back towards them. “He was underweight for a five-month-old, his muscles were underdeveloped, he was paler than he should have been, quieter than I expected, and his immune system was rather weak.” She explained. “I was worried that if he caught some sort of illness, his immune system wouldn’t have been able to cope.” Both Harry and Severus now looked at her worriedly. “But a few days with you and Miss Weasley seem to have changed that considerably.” The mediwitch continued. “He’s now the perfect weight for his age, he’s rather vocal, he’s colored up a bit, both his leg and arm muscles seem to have developed to standard, and most importantly his immune system is a lot stronger now.”

“So if he were to catch a cold or something…?” Harry asked.

“It would not be as worrying it would have been a few days ago.” Pomfrey assured them, glancing towards the door. “And I have no doubt that immunity boost was due in large part to this young lady right here. Good morning, Miss Weasley.”

“Hello, Madame Pomfrey.” The teen answered with a smile.

“If you would just step behind the curtain over there, I can examine you right away.” The healer said, gesturing and then moving towards a curtained-off bed.

“Absolutely.” She nodded, handing the diaper bag and Harry’s broom over to her boyfriend.

“What happened?” Harry whispered. 

“I’ll tell you later.” Ginny replied, just as softly.

Harry and Severus didn’t have to wait long. Within ten minutes, Ginny stepped out from behind the curtains, beaming at them.

“Well?”

“Everything’s in good order.” Ginny answered, “We had a bit of a discussion regarding my body and who has the rights to it, and my coming of age in a month and a half.” She took the Firebolt and continued towards the door, Harry and Severus—now in his sling—trailing in her wake.

“She’s not going to tell your parents.” Harry surmised.

“Not until I decide to tell them myself.” She shook her head.

“What about Ron?”

“Ron has no say over what I choose to do with my own body!” Ginny replied heatedly.

“No, I mean…I was just saying…” The teen paused. “Is he still in the castle?”

“Yes.” Ginny nodded. “He, Hermione, and Sirius are staying the rest of the day to help Remus and Tonks move in.”

“Oh.” Harry grunted neutrally. He didn’t know how he felt about that. He would’ve been happy to see his best friends and godfather, but not at the expense of Severus. He was happy they were there to help Remus and Tonks move in, but as he had been looking forward to helping them as well, he was a bit put-out at being kicked out of the party.

“So what happened?”

Ginny grinned.

Ginny turned towards Merlin and smiled. “I’ll take it from here, Sir Merlin.” She said, grasping the edge of the portrait.

“But of course, Lady Ginevra.”

She nodded and paused, tilting her head as if listening to something. “Sir Merlin, if you would just brace yourself for a moment.”

The old wizard chuckled at her. “Whatever you say, Dear Lady.” He nodded.

“What are you doing, Gin?” Tonks asked, curious.

“Just…wait for it…” She smirked, her eyes twinkling.

THUMP! THUMP!—Ginny swung the portrait hole open violently—!

Sirius stumbled across the opening, losing his balance when his fist met open air, and ended up in an uncoordinated heap on the floor.

“With all due respect, Sirius,” Ginny started, looking down at him indulgingly, “Your ruckus could wake the dead, you know?”

“Ginny!” “Ginny!” “Ginny!” Sirius, Ron, and Hermione all exclaimed at almost the same time.

Sirius looked past her shoulder at the two other people standing over him. “Remus? Dora?”

“What’s going on here?” Ron squalled. “Where are we? These aren’t Harry’s quarters!”

“Actually, they are.” Ginny replied, helping Sirius off the ground and then neatly stepping past the three of them into the room. “Professor Dumbledore moved Harry in here a few days ago.”

“He did?!” The three of them exclaimed in chorus. They exchanged looks with each other and then with Remus and Tonks before stepping back into the room and examining it, apparently for the first time.

“Merlin’s beard! This place is huge!” Hermione gasped. “Lofted quarters!”

“We made Remus and Dora’s quarters just as big.” Ginny replied over her shoulder as she marched towards the bedroom.

“They did?” Hermione questioned.

Tonks grinned. “Oh, yeah! And it’s perfect! Wait ‘til you see it.”

“Wait a minute!” Ron cried. “What was wrong with Harry’s old quarters? Why would Dumbledore move him here? And why is this place so big?!”

“And what’s wrong with it being big, Ron?!” Ginny snapped defensively, glaring at him from around the bedroom doorway.

“Nothing!” The redhead squawked. “It’s just…it doesn’t seem like Harry, that’s all!”

“Maybe Harry wanted a bigger place.” Sirius muttered, taking in the scope of the room for the first time.

“Oh, wait! Didn’t I tell you?!” Tonks exclaimed. Everyone in the room, except Remus, turned to her in surprise. “I thought I told you yesterday when I said Remus got his teaching job back.”

“Told us what?” Sirius asked, confused.

“That my position is part-time for the next three years, after which it will become full-time.” Remus explained, a slight smile on his face.

“What?!” Sirius exclaimed.

“Why?” Ron added.

“Is it because Dumbledore wanted parents to get used to the idea that you’re a werewolf?” Hermione reasoned.

“That,” Remus nodded, “as well as the fact that Dumbledore offered the position to Harry to begin with.”

“Harry?!” Ron and Sirius gasped.

“Well it makes sense.” Hermione added after a thought.

“The thing is, Harry will be away for Auror’s training twice a week—Thursday and Friday,” Remus continued, “So he made a deal with Dumbledore that he’d take the position if I got my old job back.”

“Part-time.” Hermione filled in.

“Yes. Until three years from now, when Harry graduates from Auror training and joins the department, upon which I will get the position full-time.”

“So Dumbledore gave Harry these quarters as a sort of bribe to get him to accept the position?” Hermione guessed.

Remus and Tonks exchanged a look. “That’s one of the reasons.” The metamorphamagus answered with a shrug.

“Okay! I’m off!” Ginny said, making her way out of the bedroom, Sev’s diaper bag around one shoulder and Harry’s broom in her hand.

“Wait a minute, where’s Harry?” Sirius asked, putting a hand out to stop her.

Ginny instead diverted to the kitchen, opening the ice box and stuffing a few bottles into the diaper bag (behind the door, so the others wouldn’t see). “He’s…out for the day.” She answered offhandedly. “Doing repairs and such.” She slammed the door shut and headed towards the entrance. Ron and Hermione stopped her.

“Isn’t he going to help with the move-in?” Sirius asked.

Ginny and Remus exchanged a look. “He might be over later, if he’s not too busy.”

“Well, you’re going out to meet him, aren’t you?” Hermione guessed. “We’ll come with you.”

“NO!” Ginny, Remus, and Tonks cried simultaneously. The other three jumped back and then gave them suspicious looks.

“What is going on here?!” Sirius growled in frustration.

“Nothing is going on!” Ginny snapped. “Harry’s just extremely busy right now, and he’d love to help Remus move in but can’t, and yes I’m going to meet him but he’s…working on something extremely delicate right now and doesn’t want to be bothered and…I’m supposed to be helping him so if you’ll excuse me…”

“Ginny!” Ron shouted. “We’re his best friends! Since when did he start doing everything with you and nothing with us! If you’re welcome, I’m more than sure we are as well.”

“Don’t count your chickens before they hatch, Ron!” Ginny snapped. She saw Tonks waving something at her from inside Teddy’s sling and she handed the diaper bag over so that other witch could slip it inside.

“What’s that supposed to mean?! We were perfectly welcome a few days ago!”

“And you’re still perfectly welcome now. Just not…now!” She snatched the diaper bag back from Tonks and shouldered it angrily.

“Why not now?!”

Hermione held up a calming hand to the redheaded boy. “Whatever Harry’s doing can’t possibly last all day, Ginny. You’re taking his broom to him.” She gestured towards the Firebolt. “Perhaps we could all meet up later—after the move-in—and hang out for a bit, fly around.” She suggested.

“I don’t think that’s going to be possible.”

“What, in Merlin’s name, is up with you, Gin!” Ron exclaimed. “You’ve been weird for days!”

“Ron—”

“It’s true, ‘Mione!” He turned back to his sister. “She’s been completely unpredictable. She goes out early in the morning, and doesn’t come back until late at night. She won’t talk about her day. Sometimes she’s moody, other times she’s bouncing off the walls, grinning like Lockhart! If mum didn’t know the schedule of her cycle, she could swear she had hers. She’s brewing weird potions in her room, she always eats here with Harry, and now Harry’s got this place!”

“What are you trying to say, Ron?!” Ginny snapped.

“I’m just trying to find out what’s going on between my best friend and my sister!”

“What’s going on between me and Harry is none of your business!”

“Is it any of mum or dad’s business, then?”

Ginny jabbed a finger against his nose. “Unless you want to find out after everyone else has, keep your fat nose out of it!”

“Find out what?!” Ron roared.

“Ginny, what are you doing with a diaper bag?” Hermione broke in, her calm voice a welcome sound against the shouting. “And a teething toy?”

“NOTHING!” Ginny barked, everyone jumped at her sharp tone and gawked at her. Turning on her heel, she marched purposefully out of the room and down the hall. “And DON’T follow me!”

Harry laughed. “Wow.”

“You should’ve seen the looks on their faces.” Ginny smiled. “If I wasn’t so irritated, I think I would’ve laughed.” The three had, in the meantime, made their way down the clock tower, through the courtyard, and past the wooden bridge onto the grounds. Now, hand-in-hand, they strolled leisurely about the property. Severus lay quietly in his sling across Harry’s chest, listening to the story and chewing on his teething snitch. “Hermione’s quick, though.”

“Would’ve been surprised if she wasn’t.” Harry smirked.

“She noticed the diaper bag, and even saw Tonks slip Sev’s teething toy back in while I was arguing with Ron.” She turned to Harry worriedly. “You think she knows?”

“I think…she has a vague idea.” Harry answered after a thought. “She’s brilliant. She really is.” He said. “Not many things get past her.”

“She could give you a run for your money in deductive reasoning and acute observation.” Ginny commented slyly.

“Maybe…” Harry shrugged, narrowing his eyes at her playfully. “But if she could, she would’ve figured the whole story out by now.”

“Thank Merlin Ron’s not that keen.” Ginny smirked. Harry laughed out loud. “You think she’ll tell the others, though?”

“Hermione? Um…it depends on the situation.” Harry thought back to his experiences with the muggle-born witch. “She’ll most likely try to figure it out on her own before she lets anyone know anything.” He shook his head. “No, I don’t think she’ll tell Ron or Sirius.”

Ginny breathed a sigh of relief. “Okay, good.”

As they reached the edge of the Forbidden Forest, Ginny heard something interesting in the distance. She tugged at Harry’s hand to stop him. “Shhh! You two hear that?”

Harry gave her a curious look and Severus—with Harry’s help—sat up in his sling to stare in the direction she was looking. “Hear what, Gin?”

Ginny gave him a reproachful look. “Harry, why don’t you take your own advice and listen. Hmm?”

Severus bit into his snitch and peeked up at Harry, finding the teenager with his eyes closed, his head tilted, and a smile pulling at the corners of his lips. “Ah, yes…there it is.”

“Wha?!” Sev cried, not being able to hear anything, save for the birds chirping annoyingly in the trees.

“Stretch out your sense, cub.” Harry directed him. “You’ll hear it.” Sev scowled at him. He was tired of stretching out his senses! Why couldn’t he just sense what they could sense as quickly as they could sense it?! He always had to put out a huge effort to see or feel anything, while they seemed to do it naturally. It wasn’t fair! “Close your eyes. It’ll help.” Harry nudged him. “Come on.”

With a grimace, Sev sighed and shut his eyes, allowing his hearing to take over. Within moments, he was able to discern the faint sound of hooves in the distance. It reminded him of the night music he had heard a few nights before. “Boom, boom, boom…” He muttered sadly.

“Boom, boom, boom. Exactly.” Harry nodded. “Sev, don’t be put out because you can’t sense things as quickly as we can. You’re new to this.” He reasoned. “I’ve done it for years, and Ginny’s done it for at least a year.”

“Plus, I had plenty of opportunities to practice during that year.” Ginny added.

“Exactly.” He nudged the baby playfully. “Now, come on. Chin up, cub! That sound means it’s our lucky day.”

“Do you know what creature makes that sound, love?” Ginny asked, beaming excitedly at the infant.

Sev studied her curiously. ‘C-E-N-T-A-U-R-S’. He tilted his head, indicating a question.

“Nope, not centaurs.” Ginny shook her head, and then leaned in close to whisper to him. “Unicorns, Sev.”

“Not many people can hear a herd of unicorns.” Harry explained. “Oftentimes, their hooves hover just above ground, so when they run they barely make a whisper.”

“If you get lucky enough to hear a herd of unicorns, it means they’re calling you.” Ginny said, glancing towards the direction of the noise.

“Do you trust me, Sev?” Harry asked unexpectedly. The baby gave him a confused look. “We’re going to fly over there.” He inclined his head towards the deep woods. “It goes much faster than walking. I will not fly too far off the ground—unless of course there’s danger near the ground—I will not fly too fast, and I will not do any stunts whatsoever.”

“Break those promises, and I’ll have your head, mister!” Ginny smirked, jumping onto the back of Harry’s Firebolt and waiting for them patiently.

“Trust me?” After a moment of thought, and a hesitant look towards the broomstick, Severus nodded. “Excellent!” Harry made sure to tighten the sling securely before he set about casting several different wards and charms on the child for safety. Finally, he cast a charm that literally attached Severus to him like a sort of baby leash, and hopped onto the back of the broomstick. Ginny hugged him from behind, Harry held onto Severus with one hand and the broomstick with the other, and lightly kicked off the ground. “Here we go!”

They flew low—about three meters off the ground—and at a decent speed. Severus felt the wind blow through his hair and couldn’t suppress the feeling of freedom that suddenly coursed through his veins. The sun filtered in through the treetops and kissed the forest floor, illuminating the area around them with the perfect balance of light and shadow. The singing birds, annoying just minutes before, now filled him with a sense of peace and calm. Some of them even flew alongside them, making Severus feel like he was part of their flock. Although Sev was never fond of flying before, his appreciation for the activity was now growing exponentially. No wonder so many students enjoyed the hobby, if this was how they felt!

They flew for about ten minutes, the galloping in the distance growing louder with each passing second, making Sev more excited by the moment. Ginny took the opportunity to point out various magical creatures to him. Most of the animals she showed him, Severus had never heard of. He didn’t recall reading about Ábädäs or Cercopes, which Ginny described as forest spirits, in any magical creatures book before. Ginny had even pointed out a dwelling in the treetops where little forest elves called Korrigans lived.

Free house-elves?! Living together? In a little society?! Sev’s eyes went wide as he studied the treetop village. Merlin’s name!

“Look at those birds over there! The ones bathing in the river, Sev.” Ginny exclaimed, tapping his elbow and pointing towards the water. Sev thought it was quite an impressive collection of birds. He’d never seen anything like them before. “The rainbow-feathered one is an Achiyalabopa. The one next to it is an Avalerion—king of the birds. The one hiding in the grass is a Chakora—a lunar bird. Then there’s the Cinnamon Bird, over there—the brown one. Then there’s the fire bird and its counterpart the rain bird. The thunderbird, and the always-intriguing lightning bird.”

“Lightning birds can only be found where lighting strikes.” Harry explained. “Veeeeeery interetesting.”

Ginny pointed towards the tree branches. “That right there is the Bukit Timah Monkey Man. He’s immortal. The Agathodaemon sleeping right there usually inhabit vinefields and grainfields. Oh!” Ginny gasped and pointed to the ground. “Look over there, Sev! The horse with the green mane is an Arion and they have the power of speech. That bull-horse is a Bonnacon.”

“They have flaming dung.” Harry remarked with a smirk.

“And then there are some Mares of Diomedes.”

“We want to stay away from them.” Harry said, flying the broomstick a little higher. “They’re a bit temperamental.”

Where did all these new species come from?! Sev wondered as he gawked at all the strange new creatures. Why aren’t they in any magical creature books? Who knows what sort of magical properties these creatures possess! We need to study them more. See what we can learn. Merlin’s beard! How can I now know so much about this forest? I’ve lived next to it most of my life.

“It takes more than just an eye to see something, Severus.” Harry commented, earning him a surprised look from the infant. “There we are!” Harry slowed to a glide and lowered the broomstick until they were a mere meter off the ground. As soon as they reached the top of a hill, the forest opened to a clearing; and in that clearing grazed an entire herd of unicorns.

“Whaaaaaa Whooooo…” Sev remarked, his eyes wide with wonder. It was the most beautiful sight he had ever seen! The adult unicorns glowed in the rays of sunlight streaming down from the treetops. The foals, gold and silver, shone equally as bright as they trotted around the feet of the adults. And Severus noticed their glowing wasn’t only physical, either. “A ba!” He exclaimed, gazing up at Harry and Ginny and pointing to the unicorns.

“Yup.” Harry nodded approvingly. “White magic. These are some of the purest creatures in the world. They’re one of the most peaceful.” Harry leaned in to whisper in his ear. “There’s a reason their coats glow white.” Severus turned back to admire them for a few more minutes. “Well…shall we go on a ride, then?”

What? On a—on a ride?! On a unicorn?

Harry steered the broom over and landed the three of them a few feet away from the herd. He undid most of the safety charms on Severus and passed him over to Ginny, wanting to ensure their safety before introducing them to the group. He reached out his mind to discern who the alpha male was and made sure to drop all of his mental shields so that he broadcasted as much light as possible. Unicorns were extremely mentally powerful. They communicated mentally, and they had the ability to read people rather accurately. Harry wanted them to trust him, so he barred his soul to them and hoped for the best. He approached the alpha male of the herd and politely asked him if they may join him for the day. The alpha male studied him for a bit before nodding his head in acceptance and bowing to him regally. Harry beamed at him and bowed back.

“Thank you.”

Harry, Ginny, and Severus spent the better part of the day with the unicorn herd. Severus was a bit hesitant in the beginning, but when a unicorn foal approached him and Harry and nuzzled him playfully, Sev came out of his shell and opened up to the mystical creatures. Harry took him around to each of them, and Severus had a grand time petting their silky coats and soft manes. Harry explained that unicorns communicated mentally, but one had to learn how to do it from someone who already knew how.

“The process is rather tricky, you see. Firenze taught me when he was still teaching at Hogwarts.” Harry explained. “I’ll teach you when you get big enough.”

The first highlight of the day was when Severus actually got the ride on one of the unicorns! Harry had a conversation with one of them and the unicorn offered to give each of them a ride on his back. Ginny got to go first because the unicorns liked her best—on account of she was a woman—but Harry and Sev got a longer ride because the unicorn was rather fond of Sev and delighted in hearing his squeals of laughter.

Shortly after noon, the three of them began to get rather hungry; so they all thanked the herd and bid them goodbye for the time being, hopping onto the back of the Firebolt and flying a short distance to a nearby lake. There, Harry called for Dobby and kindly asked him to bring them some lunch from the castle. The house-elf returned moments later with a picnic basket, and Harry and Ginny dined on sandwiches, salad, and juice by the lakeside, while Ginny nursed Severus.

After lunch, the three rested for a bit until Ginny suggested a quick dip in the lake to work off any excess energy. Harry was all for it, but Severus was a bit hesitant. He changed his mind quickly, though, when Harry conjured some swim toys and floaters for the infant. The teenager waterproofed Sev’s nappy, and then transfigured his trousers into little swim trunks, doing the same thing with his own jeans. Now the two boys were clad only in swim trunks and standing at the edge of the lake. Taking his wand, Harry did a quick safety scan of the unfamiliar lake to see if any danger lied beneath. Upon receiving an acceptable response, he began inching into the water, Severus in his arms.

“Alright. Just hold on around my neck tight, okay? I’ve got you.” As soon as Harry was waist deep in water, he kneeled down to bring their heads closer to the surface of the lake. “Ready? I’m going to dip down really quickly. Take a deep breath!” Sev’s eyes widened but he did as he was told. “1…2…3!” Harry dropped to just below the surface of the water and then stood up just as quickly.

Severus sputtered, coughed, shook his head, and then ran a hand through his face to clear it of water. “You alright?” Harry asked frantically. Once Sev could see well again, though, he began laughing hysterically. As the childish squeals met his ears, Harry cracked a smile. “Are you alright?” He asked between chuckles. “You like that?” The giggling baby nodded. “Want to do it again?” More nodding. “Okay! Here we go! Deep breath. 1…2…3!”

Ginny took pictures of the pair from the water’s edge, wanting to capture the beautiful moment forever. She was so glad she had the foresight to stuff the camera in the diaper bag while she was dashing about the bedroom this morning. If she hadn’t, she wouldn’t have been able to record Sev’s first meeting with unicorns, or this precious moment right here.

Harry resurfaced with a laughing Severus for the tenth time in five minutes and beckoned her over. “Come on in, Gin! The water’s nice and warm!”

“Immy! Hahahahaha! IMMY!”

“Deep breath, Sev. 1…2…3!”

Ginny chuckled. Waterproofing the camera, she stripped to her bra and underwear, and waded in towards them.

After an hour or so of play with both Harry and Ginny, Severus became rather interested in the swim toys and floaters Harry conjured for him. By this time, Harry and Ginny were taking turns watching him while the other took a leisurely swim around the lake. Ginny was sitting in the shallow area, with Severus playing in her lap, when the second highlight of Severus’ day occurred.

Harry was off swimming in the deeper parts of the lake and, for some reason, didn’t notice when a mist formed over the surface of the water. Ginny became alarmed by the sudden formation and tightened her arms around Severus, garnering his attention. Then, a voice came out of nowhere.

“Please, do not be alarmed.” It was the voice of a woman and it seemed to come from all around them.

Ginny immediately jumped up, pulling Severus into her arms and holding him tightly. “Who are you?!” She shouted. “Where are you? What do you want? Harry!”

“Please, I do not mean you any harm.” The voice seemed more focused now, and Ginny surmised that it was coming from somewhere in front of them—from the middle of the lake. “Your intended is off swimming, unaware of any of this…or of me.” The mist parted slightly before them, and a beautiful young woman with cool blue hair, a crown of spring flowers, and a dress of pure white that melded into the mist around her, appeared a small distance away from them. “I am the Lady of the Lake.” She said with a small smile. “And I only come to lay my eyes upon one who was granted the gift of rebirth.” She inclined her head towards Severus. “Your little one.”

Ginny’s arms tightened protectively around a curious Severus and she took a few steps back. “You can’t have him!” She said fiercely.

“I do not wish to take what is yours, Lady Ginevra.” The Lady assured her.

Ginny’s eyebrows furrowed. “How did you know my name?”

“The spirit of my own intended guards your gates, I believe,” The Lady answered gently. “He has told me about you in our late-night meetings, when I come to visit him.”

“Your intended?”

“Yes.” She nodded. “He is known by many names. Myself, I have known him all my life as Myrddin Emrys. Others know him as Merlin Ambrosius. Yet most simply call him—”

“Merlin.” Ginny nodded. “His is the painting that guards the entrance to our quarters.”

“There is a lake in the background of that painting, if you’ll recall.” The Lady smiled.

“And according to some legends, you’re his lover.” Ginny nodded.

“I have only come to give your child my blessings.” She held out her hands towards Severus, but looked at Ginny. “If I may?” The teenager studied her for a long while before glancing at Sev’s pleading face and nodding.

The Lady of the Lake approached slowly, but didn’t stop until she was within reach of the infant. She reached out and ran the back of her hand down Severus’ soft cheek. “You are truly blessed to have been given this opportunity, dear Severus. Young child, sweet child.” She smiled at him lovingly. “May you soon see this opportunity as a blessing. May you learn to accept the past as past. May you learn to make friends of your enemies, and family of your friends. May you grow up again with all that you lacked before. May all your missed chances present themselves to you once more.” She paused then and gave him a pointed, yet gentle, look. “May you see them for what they are and seize them for good. May you always remember the road that you have traveled to help you through strife; and may you walk gently through the world and know its beauty all the days of your life.”

The Lady of the Lake smiled softly at him, running her fingers down his cheek one last time before retreating as slowly as she had come. “Dear child, sweet child…” She gave him a mirthful look. “Wait for her, and she will come back to you…” She whispered.

Sev sat up suddenly. Wait for her? Her? Wait for her?! “H—H—Hoooo?”

“She will come back soon, Severus.” The Lady replied, the mist closing in around her retreating form. “She will come back to you…sooner than you think…” And with those final words, the mist dispersed and she was gone.

Severus sat very still for a long time, gazing at the spot where the Lady of the Lake disappeared, wondering at her last words. Wait for her. She will come back to you. Sooner than you think. What did all that mean?!

“I think she was talking about Lily.” Ginny spoke up.

Severus looked up at her in surprise. Lily?! “H—H—H—Haaa…oooowww? Ha-oow…Haoow…How?”

“I don’t know, love.” Ginny shook her head sadly. “I wish I did, but I don’t.” She tightened her arms around Severus. “But what I do know…what I’m pretty sure of…is that she was talking about Lily. That you were going to see her again…and soon too!” She added excitedly, and then paused in thought for a second. “And I am damn sure she meant that you were going to be alive when you saw her again, so we’re not even going to go there.”

Sev chuckled at Ginny’s feeble attempts to reassure herself of that fact. As for Sev himself, he didn’t need reassuring. He knew he was going to be alive when he saw Lily again. The question he was trying to answer right now was how that was going to happen. She was dead, and to his knowledge, there was no spell or potion that could bring people back to life again. Once people were dead, they stayed dead. Well…with the exception of Harry, of course, whose very existence and nature defied all logic entirely.

“Why don’t we just wait and see, huh, sweetheart?” Ginny said, breaking into his thoughts. She slowly lowered the two of them back into the shallow water and slipped Sev’s water wings onto his arms. “The Lady said soon, and I’ll trust she meant soon. So…let’s just put that out of our minds right now and…how about we go for one more dip before we call it a day, eh? The sun’s going to set soon, it looks like.” She called Harry and signaled that he had ten more minutes before wading in to waist-deep water and ducking them both below.

When time was up, the three of them made their way to shore and dried off. Ginny took the opportunity to fill Harry in on what happened while he was out swimming.

“That is incredibly odd.” The teenager remarked as he rubbed a towel over Sev’s wet hair and body, inadvertently tickling the infant and drawing giggles. “I could see the two of you the entire time.”

“We could ask Merlin when we get in tonight.” Ginny suggested.

“Good idea.”

They dressed themselves in warm, dry clothes once more, packed their things, and hopped onto the back of the Firebolt for the journey back. Harry took the high route this time around, flying over the treetops and treating everyone to an amazing view of the sunset. Nothing beat the Scottish sunset; not above the skies of Hogwarts, no. It was absolutely amazing up here.

“Almost feels like you’re in Paradise, doesn’t it, boys?” Ginny smiled.

“Uh-huh.” Both man and baby murmured simultaneously, their mouths open in awe. The smile on Ginny’s face grew.

They landed back on Hogwarts grounds by the Wooden Bridge and began their stroll back into the castle.

“Can you look for Sirius, Ron, and Hermione? See if they’re still here?” Ginny asked as they walked through the long bridge.

“You’re going to have to hold him.” Harry answered, handing Sev over to Ginny. “When I throw my senses, I tend to lose all sense of what I’m doing.”

“Come here, sweet.” Ginny took Severus into her arms and the baby gazed at her curiously, alternating his look between her and Harry. “He’s going to throw out his senses.” Ginny explained. “Have you ever heard of someone throwing their voice?” Sev’s eyebrows furrowed and he nodded. “No, I mean literally—someone literally throwing their voice. Meaning, they could be standing here, but they could throw their voice and you would hear it over there—that sort of thing.”

Severus wracked his brain. He had heard of one such person who could do that. It was a Ravenclaw during his schooldays here at Hogwarts. According to rumors, the guy could throw his voice—without a spell—clear across the room. He could be standing at the entrance to the Great Hall and sound like he was talking from the staff table.

Sev nodded again. “Well that’s what Harry’s doing right now.” Ginny explained. “He’s not throwing his voice, though. Harry’s throwing his vision, hearing, and sense of smell. His voice and his sense of touch he keeps right here with his body.”

What?! Sev looked at her as if she just grew another head. What in Merlin’s name is that supposed to mean?! You can throw your vision out? Like literally throw it out? Send it somewhere that’s not in your immediate vicinity? That’s impossible!

“I know it’s hard to believe.” Ginny continued. “But think of it as being able to give your eyes, ears, and nose a pair of wings and just throwing it out there; letting it fly out at superhuman speeds to find whatever you’re trying to find. Harry calls it ‘throwing his senses’.”

The infant studied his caretaker. Harry didn’t look like he was doing anything at the moment. In fact, he just looked like a statue, standing frozen next to them. His eyes were glazed over, he wasn’t moving. Heck, he didn’t even look like he was breathing! Furrowing his eyebrows, Sev leaned over to take a closer look. Still, Harry stood frozen, as if he wasn’t even aware of his surroundings. Sev wanted to inch closer and Ginny obliged him. The infant still couldn’t tell if he was breathing or not. Just…a little closer…

“GOT IT!” Harry eyes focused with a snap and his gaze met Sev’s, startling the infant and making him jump.

“Ahhhhhhh!” Sev whined, blowing raspberries at Harry and burying his face in Ginny’s chest.

“What? What’d I do?”

“You startled him.” Ginny answered, torn between admonishing Harry and chuckling at Sev.

“Oh, I’m sorry, cub.” Harry said, rubbing soothing circles into the infant’s back. “I didn’t mean to. I tend to do that when I’m throwing my senses.” He turned to Ginny. “Sirius, Ron, and Hermione are in Remus’ quarters eating dinner. If we hurry right now, we’ll be able to sneak in to our quarters without risk of them coming out and accidentally catching us.” He reached for Sev and secured him back in his sling. “If we go on my broom right now, we’ll be able to get there quicker.”

After making sure the infant was secure, Harry and Ginny hopped onto the Firebolt and Harry flew them through the Wooden Bridge and then up to the Stone Bridge. He spelled the door open wandlessly and gently navigated his broom through the castle hallways until they reached the hallway to their quarters. There, they dismounted and peeked around the corner.

“Great! Remus’ door is open!” Harry hissed.

Ginny peeked over and spotted the said painting. “It’s only open a crack, Harry!”

Laughter from within the room filtered into the hall. “Yeah, but Sirius’ hearing is as good as Remus’.”

“Oh, for Merlin’s sake!” Ginny rolled her eyes. Stepping around the boys, she sauntered down the hall to Remus’ door and pushed the painting close with a click. “There! Now it’s not open anymore.”

“Now they’re going to investigate, Gin!” Harry dashed over to Merlin’s portrait and hissed, “Excalibur!” before jumping in through the portrait hole and hiding behind the doorway just as Remus’ painting swung open once more.

“Ginny!” Sirius exclaimed. “Hey, is Harry there?” Both Harry and Sev widened their eyes at Sirius’ approaching footsteps.

“Hey, Sirius!” Remus’ voice called from within the quarters across the hall. “Where are you going?”

“I think Harry’s back.”

“He’s not back!” Ginny argued loudly. The boys could hear her forcibly turning Sirius around. “I’m just here to go pick up some stuff for him. He’s still working on his project. It’s taking him a might longer than expected.”

“Well, did you tell him we’re here?” Ron’s voice asked from Remus’ doorway. “I’m sure he would’ve made time to see us if you did.”

“Then it’s a good thing I didn’t.”

“Ginny!”

“What is this project he’s working on anyway?” Hermione’s perky voice spoke up. She now sounded close by as well. “It can’t possibly take that long. Harry’s magical control has improved exponentially in the past year. He could build a house with a wave of a hand. Now this project is taking him all day to do?”

“Uh-oh. She knows something’s up.” Harry whispered in Sev’s ear.

“What was that?” Sirius asked suddenly.

“What was what?” Ginny replied.

“Shit!” Harry breathed.

“That! I heard it again!”

“I didn’t hear anything. Sirius, you’re hearing things!”

“I’m not hearing things, Gin!”

“What’s going on out here?” Remus’ voice was now added to the mix.

“I think Harry’s in here.” Sirius’ footsteps once again echoed in the hall. “Harry!”

“Hang on to me tight.” Harry hissed into Sev’s ear.

Severus bit his lip and clutched Harry’s robes tightly. A sharp tingling sensation suddenly coursed through his body.

“Harry, who are you talking to—” Sirius rounded the corner and looked straight at them…

…and then directly through them.

Ron and Hermione popped in just behind Sirius. “Harry?” “Harry?”

“Where is he?” Sirius cried, spinning around and looking for the source of the whispering he just heard. “I could’ve sworn he was right here!” The man pointed to the exact spot where they were standing. Sev grinned. Black was looking like an idiot! This was getting to be pretty funny.

“I told you you were hearing things, Sirius!” Ginny interjected, pulling the man away from the spot in which she knew an invisible Harry and Sev were standing.

“I wasn’t hearing things!” The man replied defensively. “I heard someone right there!”

“Where is this project of Harry’s anyway?” Hermione asked suddenly. “He wasn’t at the staff table at lunch. Neither of you were, actually. Professor Slughorn was asking for the both of you.”

“Only the both of us?” Ginny asked, a bit of nervousness bleeding through her voice.

“Why? Who else should he have been asking for?” Ron asked through narrowed eyes.

“Firenze.” Ginny answered without a hitch. “He was with us as well. I’d like to think Slughorn cares about whether or not he had lunch too.” Severus was impressed! Ginny could lie better than Draco and Lucius Malfoy put together! Although…that probably wasn’t saying much.

Ron rolled his eyes and scoffed. “Slughorn doesn’t ‘care’ about anyone outside of his ‘Slug Club’.”

Harry started inching from his spot near the door to the master bedroom. The door was closed, but opening it silently shouldn’t be a problem. The issue now was actually getting to the master bedroom without Sirius hearing them.

“So where is it?”

“It’s somewhere off grounds.” Ginny shrugged. She glanced down at the carpet and noticed Harry’s footsteps as they crept towards the bedroom.

“That explains why we couldn’t find them on the Marauders’ Map.” Ron murmured.

“What’s he working on?” Hermione asked.

“Hermione, for Merlin’s sake, what is this? An interrogation?”

“Look, I think we all can agree on one thing.” Tonks said, sauntering into the room, Teddy across her chest. “Harry isn’t here. So if you would all kindly return to our quarters and finish dinner.” She walked towards the table in Harry’s kitchen and sat down. “I’m going to nurse Teddy in here. The noise over there is making him fussy and he’s also a bit sleepy right now.” The metamorphamagus exchanged a look with Remus.

“Yeah.” The werewolf agreed, picking up on the silent cues. “Come on, guys!” He began steering them across the hall. “Dumbledore gave me a whole case of the finest liquors in Europe for my liquor cabinet. It’s not a housewarming unless you actually get warm, isn’t it?”

“But what about Harry?” Ron complained.

“Harry can join us when he gets back from his project in…?” He raised an eyebrow at Ginny.

“An hour or two.” The redhead answered.

“An hour or two?!” Hermione cried. “It’ll be completely dark by then—”

“Hermione, come now.” Remus assured her. “Harry’s faced off against Voldemort and won fair and square. I think he can find his way back in the dark—” Merlin shut the door behind them.

“Wow!” Tonks grinned, her hair flashing hot pink. “That was a close one, wouldn’t you say, Harry?”

Harry dropped the disillusionment charm around him and Sev. “You can say that again.”

Ginny glared at him. “First you warn me about Sirius’ superior hearing, and then you whisper—loudly, might I add—when you’re ten feet away from him?! Twice?!”

“Three times.” Tonks corrected offhandedly.

“I’m stupid! I know! I’m sorry!” Harry replied in a placating tone.

Ginny huffed and marched towards the bedroom, completely ignoring him. Harry groaned and ran a hand down his face. Severus giggled at him.

“Coo!”

“Peb-by!”

The infants spent the better part of an hour playing together on the soft rug while Tonks and Ginny filled each other in on their respective days. Tonks gasped when she found out about their encounter with the Lady of the Lake, and Ginny smiled when Tonks told her about Sirius, Ron, and Hermione’s trek around the castle, looking for Harry. When their sharing was over, the two of them had a nice heart-to-heart with Merlin about his fairy-tale romance with the Lady of the Lake. Harry rolled his eyes. It all sounded like a trashy romance novel to him. The one good thing Harry got out of listening to that conversation was an assurance that the Lady was indeed real and that there was nothing to worry about.

When eight o’clock rolled around, Tonks excused herself and Teddy, telling them she would distract the others until after Sev was asleep. Harry and Ginny thanked her, and then Harry set about giving Sev his bath and getting him changed into his bedclothes. They mounted the rocking chair, and Harry read three different stories from the Tales of Beedle the Bard while Sev sucked his thumb and listened. By the time the third tale was over, Sev was having a hard time keeping his eyes open.

Harry picked him up and settled him onto his back in the crib, tucking a stuffed baby snake under his arm. “Go to sleep, cub.” He said, smiling down at the infant and running a hand through his soft baby hair. “Tomorrow, we’ll be off to Godric’s Hollow, to a house I call ‘The Den’—number 20 Haven Place.” Harry leaned down to place a kiss on the small forehead. “You’re going to love it. I promise.”

The last thing Sev remembered thinking, as he slipped to the Land of Nod, was about his meeting with the Lady of the Lake, and her final words to him: “She will come back to you…sooner than you think…”

Lily…

To be continued...
End Notes:
Well...someone certainly had an exciting day. :-)

Next up, Harry introduces Ginny and Severus to The Den, Haven Place, and the lovely town of Godric's Hollow.


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=1936