Serendipity by Winger-Hawk
Summary: (UPDATED: APR 02 2011) Snape wakes up from a coma to a new world in which Voldemort is dead and gone, defeated by Harry Potter. Deciding he has nothing more to live for, he tries to end his life, but things don't quite work out the way he planned. Harry gets pulled in by Dumbledore to assist with Snape's...little dilemma.
Categories: Reverse Roles > Parental Harry Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Draco, Dumbledore, Ginny, Hermione, Remus, Ron, Sirius, Tonks
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Drama, General, Hurt/Comfort, Supernatural
Media Type: None
Tags: Adoption, Alternate Universe, Baby fic, Deaging, SuperPower! Harry
Takes Place: 8 - Pre Epilogue (adult Harry)
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys, Physical Punishment Spanking, Neglect, Romance/Het
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 47 Completed: No Word count: 382664 Read: 548426 Published: 11 Sep 2009 Updated: 21 Aug 2010
Pouncing by Winger-Hawk
Author's Notes:
The trio have a fun day at the park after the Sunday Services BBQ; Harry plays a bit of football; and the cub learns the art of pouncing.

Severus stood on the bed, with Harry’s help, while Ginny dressed him in a tiny white collared shirt, khakis, and trainers. Ginny herself wore a pretty, light purple sundress, which Sev thought brought out her eyes, while Harry wore black dress pants with a brown collared shirt and black tie.

“Right! Okay…that looks about right.” Ginny pulled back to examine him top to bottom.

“Wah—koo.”

“Not right now, cub.” Harry answered, turning Sev around and then lifting him into his arms. “We’re about to leave for services.” He walked over to the bookcase and drew out a small, ornate, decorative box, bringing it to the vanity table, where Ginny was seated. “I refuse to transfigure my broomstick into a car.” He told her.

Ginny snorted and rolled her eyes. Putting down her hairbrush, she studied the box curiously. “What is it?”

“Open it.” Harry pushed.

Narrowing her eyes playfully, Ginny undid the various latches and turned the various dials until she heard a click and the box popped open. Now even Severus was curious as to what lay inside. Soft, gentle music began floating out from within the confines of the box. “A music box?” Ginny raised an eyebrow at Harry. Slowly, the teen lifted the lid to reveal a small model car.

“Blue, four-door, Nissan Micra. It’s the newest model—1998. Driver and passenger-side airbags, all-wheel drive, anti-lock brakes—”

“Harry?” Ginny stopped him with a smile. “You can have that conversation with my dad.”

“Right.” Harry smirked. “It’s a…uh…good car.”

“That’s good enough for me.” She handed the model car to Severus. “Why don’t you go warm it up?”

“Careful with that, cub.” Harry said as they made their way out the bedroom and down the stairs. “That’s our ride.”

Soon enough, the model car was enlarged into a real one, Severus was strapped into the car seat they had transfigured from his walker, and the car was warmed up and ready to go.

“So when, exactly, did you learn how to drive, Harry?” Ginny asked as she strapped herself in and checked Severus’ straps as well.

Harry adjusted his mirrors and then began to slowly drive down the road. “The summer before my sixth year.” He answered, “My uncle had just lost his job and blamed me for it the moment I got home from the train station. He laid into me good that night, and the night after that, and the night after that. After that third night, I knew if I stayed any longer, he’d kill me.”

“So you ran away.” Ginny guessed.

“Just for a little bit.” Harry nodded. “About a month or so.” He checked the street for any pedestrians before speeding up a bit. “I went into London and healed myself near Diagon Alley. That way, the Trace wouldn’t have been able to tell it was me.”

“How badly were you hurt?” Ginny asked, concerned.

“Pretty badly.” Harry shrugged.

“Elaborate.” His girlfriend’s eyebrows furrowed.

The teen sighed, “Several broken bones, my right leg was fractured, almost all my ribs were cracked, I think I was bleeding internally, my left shoulder was dislocated, and I’m not going to get into my face or my back.”

“You got all the way into London without someone noticing you were that injured?!” Ginny was appalled. “What did Stan Shunpike say?”

“I didn’t take the Knight Bus.” Harry shook his head.

“Are you telling me you walked to London? Bleeding internally and on a broken leg?!”

“I flew my broom, Gin.” Harry stopped as a herd of goats crossed their path. “And I had my invisibility cloak on.”

“Why didn’t you go to Grimmauld Place?”

“What? And have them send me back to my aunt and uncle’s? ‘I’m sorry, Harry, but we have to send you back there for your own protection. The blood wards would fail otherwise.’ Like hell I was safe in there, Gin!”

“I doubt Sirius would’ve sent you back if he only knew what happened.”

“Dumbledore would’ve made him!” Harry argued. “You know how that old coot can be! Manipulative, that he is.”

“Harry—”

“I don’t want them to know, Gin!” Harry interjected strongly. “I don’t want any of them to know anything!” He lowered his voice to just above a whisper. “The only two people who know about that are you and Severus and I want it to stay that way.” He faced forward again and resumed driving down the road. “Anyway…after I healed myself, I donned a glamour, drew out some money, and spent about a month living in a cheap motel with rats for company. Hell of a lot better than my ‘home’ in Surrey, I’ll tell you.”

“And you got your driver’s license.”  

Harry shrugged. “I had to do something after I finished reading all my books.” He turned down a paved street and into town. “Riding around on trains could only amuse me for so long.”

Ginny shook her head. “You’re unbelievable, Harry.”

“Hey, if there’s one thing living at my aunt and uncle’s taught me, it was self­-reliance.” Harry remarked as Ginny began directing him to the chapel, “I couldn’t depend on them—they made that abundantly clear. So I learned how to snitch food at an early age, I learned how to heal myself at an early age, I taught myself how to read, how to write, how to work with numbers, how to tie my shoes.” He scoffed. “Living with rats in a motel in London was paradise, Ginny. I was next to Diagon Alley, the Trace didn’t work properly, and I could practice magic all I wanted. I could make all the potions I needed, I could perfect my defense.” He shrugged. “I was happy.”

Ginny looked at him sadly. “You were lonely.” She corrected matter-of-factly.

Harry sighed as he pulled into a parking spot next to the chapel. “It doesn’t matter anymore. The past is past.” He shut off the engine and turned to look at both Ginny and Severus, “Now…I’m happy—for real this time.” He narrowed his eyes at his girlfriend. “I dare you to deny that.”

Ginny smirked and rolled her eyes. “I can’t.”

Sunday service turned out to be an interesting experience. Although the chapel looked old on the outside, it was completely modernized on the inside. A new speaker system sat in one corner, fully functional stage lights hung from the rafters, and a drum set, electric guitars, and more than a few acoustic guitars sat in one corner, already plugged into the speakers. A few university-aged students seemed to be helping with set-up and testing. Harry and Ginny were handed program booklets when they walked in and were directed to a row of white, fold-out chairs, rather than the traditional pews. Service started with the introduction of new community members, including Harry, Sev, and Ginny, and the trio found themselves shaking hands with the dozen or so cheerful strangers sitting around them. The program continued with the entire congregation singing in conjunction with the Christian rock band that was set up in the corner. Somehow, the trio found themselves singing along as well. After a rather captivating sermon by the young pastor, another long set of Christian rock songs were sung before a final prayer and an invitation to a BBQ at the local park.

“Well, that was…interesting.” Harry remarked as he walked out of the chapel, Sev in his arms.

“I must say, I’ve never been to something quite like that before.” Ginny added.

“What do you think, cub?” Harry nudged the infant.

“Oh—key.” The baby mumbled around his thumb.

“I bet you’re hungry, eh?” Harry felt Sev nod against his chest.

“M—M—M—Mis—Mis—Mister Potter?” Somebody bumbled behind them. “Mr. Potter?” Harry and Ginny both turned to find a rather portly man and a small boy standing several feet from them.   “Mis—Mister Potter?”

Harry smiled amicably. “Yes, sir?”

“Oh, it is you! Harry Potter!” The man looked positively giddy as he gripped the small boy by the shoulders and shook him in excitement.

The boy scowled and gave the portly man a strange look. “Dad, will you calm down!” He brushed the man’s hands off his shoulders and extended a hand to Harry. “Hello, Mr. Potter, I’m Logan Miller. This is my dad, Warrick.”

Harry shook the boy’s hand and then the bumbling man’s. “Nice to meet you Logan, Mr. Miller. This is my girlfriend Ginny and this little guy is Henry.”

“Warrick! Honestly, can’t you mind your own business?” A rather portly woman came bounding up to them from behind the father and son. “I’m sorry, Mr. Potter and Miss…?”

“Weasley.” Ginny answered with a smile.

“Miss Weasley. I apologize. My husband can’t help himself sometimes.” She offered her hand to them. “I’m Regina.”

“It’s very good to meet you, Regina.” Ginny smiled. “Tell me…you’re of…uh…” she tilted her head, and Regina and Logan nodded knowingly. Warrick just continued to stare at Harry like a worshiper to a god.

“Can I ask a favor of all three of you?” Harry said.

“YES!” Warrick cried out loudly, making everyone jump at the sudden outburst. “Anything, Mr. Potter. Anything! Anything at all!”

Sev gave Warrick a disgusted look. “Kiff—aff!” He scowled at the portly man and stuck out his tongue, intent on blowing raspberries at him. Before he could do anything, though, a hand placed itself gently but firmly over his mouth.

“Will you excuse me for just one minute?” Harry said with a smile. Turning around, he hissed in Sev’s ear. “Remember how I said I was going to give you a warning before a spanking became warranted.” Sev gasped and looked up at him, wide-eyed. “That was your warning.” Harry continued sternly. “And you’re getting a five-minute time-out when we get home for that ‘kiss-arse’ remark. Now I expect good, polite behavior from you for the remainder of the day. Do I make myself perfectly clear?”

Sev took one look at Harry’s firm glare and hung his head. “Yea, ehw.” He murmured sadly, burying his face in Harry’s shirt.

“Thank you.” Harry replied and turned back around. “I’m sorry. He’s hungry and that’s why he’s a bit grouchy right now.” He stepped closer to the other family and lowered his voice. “Could the three of you do me a little favor? You know all the magical families around here, right?”

“Oh, yes, Mr. Potter! Yes, we do! All of them!” Warrick answered, nodding fervently.

“Please, Mr. Miller, call me Harry.” The teen insisted. “That’s good to hear. Listen…I just moved back into my family’s home up at Haven Place. My girlfriend and I are renovating it. I’d appreciate it…” He eyed their surroundings and lowered his voice some more, “…if my presence here does not attract the attention of any newspapers, muggle and otherwise. I love this community here. I really do. I’d love it even more, in fact, if I don’t have to shut myself in my house because photographers are trying to get my picture or my family’s picture.”

“Oh, we understand, sir, completely!” Logan nodded.

“Mum’s the word.” Regina agreed.

“I’ll tell all the, uh…neighbors to keep it all hush-hush.” Warrick added, coming out of his stupor of the first time.

“Thank you all very, very much.” Harry smiled gratefully. After wishing them a good day, he and Ginny turned and continued following the crowd to the park.

“Hopefully that doesn’t happen too much today.” Harry murmured to Ginny.

“I agree. Did you see that guy?”

Harry snorted. “He looked kind of funny.” Suddenly, he felt something shaking on his chest. Sev was sniggering into his tie. “Didn’t he, cub? He had that glazed over look in his eye for, like, five minutes.” The sniggering turned into giggles and Harry found himself laughing along.

“Oh hush, you two!” Ginny chided.

“It was funny!”

“It was creepy!”

“It was that…” Harry shrugged, “…and funny!”

They reached the park and the glorious smell of barbeque filled their nostrils. “Oh, yes!” Harry growled, making Sev laugh at the rumbling noise his chest was making. “Meat!”

The picnic at the park was spectacular. The congregation said a short prayer, led by the pastor, and then the church served lunch. On the park benches sat barbeque pork that had been left roasting for twelve hours, potato salad, corn, mashed potatoes, and a green salad with dressing—all for free.

“How can they afford all this?” Harry remembered asking Ginny as they stood in line for food.

Martha had been next to them then and had answered him. “Donations from the community.” She smiled. “The community gives to the church, the church gives back to the community.”

“Every Sunday?”

“Every Sunday.”

Harry and Sev both ate their fill, while Ginny watched in amusement. They had brought Sev’s special formula along that day, thus the infant was able to taste the delicious food as well. Ginny was just finishing her first helping when both Harry and Sev collapsed on the grass next to her, sated and sleepy. “You two really should eat slower, you know.” She commented, feeding herself some corn. Harry merely raised an eyebrow at her, and Sev peered at her through half-closed eyes as he lay on Harry’s chest. Ginny laughed and rolled her eyes. 

After a sufficient resting period, some guys from the church brought out sports equipment—a few footballs, a rugby ball, a couple of American footballs, two cricket sets, some baseball equipment, and a croquet set. Harry, Sev, and Ginny merely stood on the sidelines for a while as various people—both muggle and wizard—kept coming up to the trio and introducing themselves. The muggles welcomed them to the community and gave them information regarding various services offered around town, including schools, daycares, kids’ programs and whatnot. The wizarding folks welcomed them to the community and promised to keep mum about their existence there.

Harry and Ginny decided last night to tell the muggles they were married and tell the magical folks they were still dating. After all, Harry Potter’s love life wasn’t that big of a secret in the wizarding world. Everyone knew he wasn’t married. No one in the muggle world knew that, though.

“Hey, Ginny! Can we borrow your husband for a bit, eh?” One of the muggle church brothers—Dan, if Harry remembered correctly—shouted from the field. “Come on, Harry! Let’s play a bit of football. What do you say?” Dan’s teammates shouted in encouragement and the wizarding family they had been talking to also clapped supportively.

Harry gave Ginny a questioning look. His girlfriend merely smirked and took Severus from him. “Go ahead! Go on!” She turned towards Dan and cried, “Sure, you can borrow him! Just bring him back in one piece, okay?!”

Harry sighed and undid his tie and shirt, stripping to his undershirt. Cheers originated from the gathering crowd as Harry ran over and accepted an orange vest from Dan. The game suddenly gathered a large crowd, as everyone present who was of the wizarding community stayed to watch Harry Potter play muggle football. Ginny was actually surprised by Harry’s skill level with a football. Whenever one of the guys passed it to him, he would drive it forward by sweeping the ball around his feet, through other players’ legs, or between two players or more. At one point, a teammate passed him the football midway through the opposing team’s field and Harry drove the ball around his back leg, spinning to avoid colliding with another player, then in between two other players, tripping them up, before giving it a hefty kick between another player’s open legs and slamming it into the air, straight at one of his other teammates, who then head-butted the ball into their goal.

“Wah-oh!” Sev squealed, grinning up at Ginny.

“That was good, wasn’t it?!” Ginny laughed. She heard Sev clap his baby hands. “When you get big enough again, I bet you he’ll teach you all those tricks of his.” She whispered into his ear. “And then you’ll be better than him one day.” She gave him a big kiss on the cheek, and laughed as Sev’s arms and legs bobbed up and down excitedly as the crowd cheered.

About fifteen minutes later, the game came to an exciting end when Harry’s team reached game point after five minutes of tie game. The two groups shook hands amicably and then Harry made his way over and collapsed on the blanket beside them, his hair matted with sweat.

“Did you have fun?” Ginny laughed as Sev crawled away from her and onto Harry’s chest.

“Oh, yeah!” Harry panted. “Jeez! I haven’t played a good game of football in…quite some time.” His eye rolled to the back of his head as he breathed heavily. “Since I was thirteen, I think…That was the last time I played…found some guys in a park…pick-up football.”

“Hey, good game, Harry!” One of the guys from his team called from across the field. Harry picked up his head and waved. “See you next week?” The teen gave him a thumbs-up and a smile. “Alright then! See ya, mate!” Harry waved once again.

Ginny chuckled. “So…shall we go?”

“Just give me a few minutes.” Harry replied, still a bit breathless.

“Hey, Ginny!” One of the muggle ladies—Jane, if Ginny remembered correctly—came up to them from behind. “Would Henry like to come play with the other children for a while? We’re about to blow bubbles!”

Harry suppressed a snort and Sev scowled at him. “Come on, love, it’s only a few bubbles.” Ginny whispered in Sev’s ear. “You’ll be surprised how fun it is!”

“Come on, cub. I’ve had my fun. It’s time for you to have yours.” He tried lifting the child off his chest, but Sev would have none of it. He whined and stuck himself to Harry’s shirt.

Jane laughed. “Why don’t you come with him, Harry? Show the other dads how to be a man and enjoy something with their infant.” She and Ginny shared a look and a laugh.

“Oh!” Harry grunted. “I can’t get up!” Sev giggled into his chest and gripped his shirt. Harry sat up, arms gripping the infant securely, and stood on his feet. “Where are those bubbles? Huh? Where are they? Where?!”

“They’re over here, Harry.” Jane answered with a smile, pointing to a spot nearby where numerous infants and toddlers were gathered on the grass, chasing bubbles. The teenage girl who was blowing bubbles at them looked up and blew a set towards Severus. The infant in Harry’s arms flinched away from the bubbles, dodging them whenever they came near his face. When a bubble finally managed to pop on his nose, Sev sniffed and shook his head, reminding Harry of a little puppy. The infant turned to Harry and scowled.

“Aw, come on, cub! Bubbles can be fun, too! Look!” The girl blew another set of bubbles towards them and Harry thrust his face at a few of them, popping them with his nose. At one point, he bit at some bubbles to pop them, making a face as the soap hit his tongue. “See?!” He sat down on the grass, next to the children, and then resumed his former sprawled position. “Have at it, Hank.” Harry closed his eyes and tried once again to get his heartbeat to slow down.

Severus continued to scowl at Harry. He didn’t want to play with bubbles! Did these people sometimes forget he wasn’t a real baby? Granted, Severus forgot that himself sometimes, but…that wasn’t the point right now! He did not want to play with bubbles! He’d look like a complete idiot! Sev gripped Harry’s shirt tighter and started pulling against it. Get up, Potter! Get up! I do not want to play with the stupid bubbles! But it was useless. The teenager was halfway into a nap. Argh! Sev huffed, pouted, and pushed up against Harry’s chest, frowning at the other infants who were chasing the ridiculous little bubbles.

The idiot teenage girl found it necessary to blow more bubbles in his direction. With a growl, Sev buried his face in Harry’s chest in order to escape them. “Ah!” He whined at Harry, tapping him none-too-lightly on the chest in order to rouse him. It didn’t work. What did happen, though, was that a lone bubble managed to land right on Harry’s nose without popping.

Severus froze. Looking around, he noted that all the other babies’ attentions were drawn away by the other bubbles. This one seemed forgotten by the rest. Well, not for long! Sev crouched low on Harry’s chest, watching the bubble through narrowed eyes. Harry’s head moved slightly left, then slightly right, but the bubble remained exactly where it was. Excellent! Sev crept forward slowly, keeping himself low on Harry’s chest. He wriggled until his nose touched Harry’s chin, and then he crouched low, lower than before, so low that only his eyes were visible over the top of Harry’s chin. He watched the bubble closely. Still, his prey remained oblivious. It continued to sit there, impervious to the wind and movement. Sev’s muscles tensed, he felt his fingers curl up. Then, without warning, he pounced! Sev trapped the bubble between his two hands, popping it soundly.

OW!” Harry cried out, his eyes flying open in surprise. Ginny’s hysterical laughter could be heard somewhere in the background. “Seve—Argh! HENRY!” 

Sev pushed up against Harry’s chest and grinned down at his caretaker.

“Are you alright, Harry?” Jane asked, looking down at him in concern.

“Yes, I’m…I’m fine.” Harry replied, “Little guy just pounced on my nose!” He clutched the offended appendage and rubbed it gently.

“It was a good pounce, too!” The teenager who was blowing the bubbles added.

“Yes, well…I call him ‘cub’ for a reason.” He lifted Sev off his chest and laid him on the grass next to him. “Go on! Pounce on more bubbles, just not the ones on me!” Yet it was no use. The infant had spotted yet another bubble that had landed on Harry’s glasses and pounced on it as well. After that, he jumped on the one on Harry’s hair. “Argh! Hank…give me a break! Please?” Sev then jumped on a bubble that had landed on Harry’s ear.

After about five minutes of allowing herself to indulge in her favorite hobby, Ginny put the camera away and went to rescue a laughing Harry from the clutches of Severus, the great bubble-pouncer. “Hey, you two!” She placed her hands on her hips and smirked at the two roughed-up boys. “You ready to go?” She double-checked the spot where they were sitting to make sure he hadn’t left anything.

“Yeah.” Harry replied, lifting Sev into his arms before picking himself up off the ground. “There’s just one more place I want to drop by before we go back home.”

To be continued...
End Notes:
Thus was my college experience with a rather large Christian group on my campus. They were a really interesting group of people. :-) The food was unbelievable!

Next up, Harry and Sev visit sacred ground, Sev gets in more than a bit of trouble, Harry's demons attempt to possess him, and Sev learns the difference between love and obsession.


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=1936