Harry has always dreamed of a family that would love him but knows his only relatives are the Dursleys or are they? James and Lily both had other siblings, Lily and Petunia's sibling is someone that even Petunia fears and doesn't trust, yet she doesn't want her nephew either. Sometime before Hogwarts to his third year, Harry runs away and goes missing. Naturally this sends Dumbledore/the Order/his friends (if having started Hogwarts) into a panic and they begin searching for their savior. Harry eventually comes across one of these estranged aunts or uncles and they take him in only to find out how their nephew has been treated and vow to protect him from any who would seek to harm one of their blood.
- Potters must still have died Halloween 1981
- Takes place Pre-Hogwarts (9-10 minimum) to 3rd Year (13)
- James and Lily must have siblings that the Marauders don't talk about, somehow Severus knows of these siblings and becomes concerned enough to try to look for Harry
- The new family member becomes Harry's permanent and legal guardian (magical & muggle), throwing a wrench into Dumbledore's plans
- Dumbledore must protest Harry being with this aunt or uncle and their family as well as Sirius and Remus if it takes place third year
- Harry must go to another school (one of the known wizarding schools) for at least 2 years
- Harry must be helped in Muggle schooling in addition to his wizarding education
- Must be Gen fic until his fifteenth birthday, then dating can happen
- Severus, when he learns the truth, must feature prominently in the story somehow (he either transfers to the new school, takes Harry under his wing as a mentor/apprentice relationship, etc.)
- Harry has cousins, more aunts and uncles through marriage
- Harry becomes better at his studies/Smart Harry
- If taking place in Harry's 1st or 2nd years Harry must be affected somehow by the Basilisk and/or "killing" Quirrel
- Gradual progression of magical power (Harry cannot become powerful overnight or because of an inheritance/horcrux being removed.)
- Harry's new school is represented in the Triwizard Tournament
- Exploring other cultures; Muggle and Magical.
- Sirius and Remus fighting to get custody of Harry which leads to kidnapping him
- Harry having no more than two wives (one for Potter, one for Peverell)
- Harry gets a new wand & gets his eyesight fixed
- Harry inherits a forgotten magic from the Peverell bloodline
- Creature Inheritance (werewolves, vampires, veela, dragon, nekomata, kitsune, naga are forbidden)
- Harry is an animagus (limited to 1 animal form)
- Severus is an animagus and is injured when finding Harry, leading Harry to take care of the poor creature and giving Snape insight into Harry's change in life (both before at the Dursleys and now with his other family)
- Harry has a sister (blood or half) that is a Maledictus
- Snape and Harry have the same Muggle hobby or hobbies
- Harry being Snape's son or adopted by him
- Heir to Black fortune, only Potter & Peverell
- Harry being given custody to Sirius (Remus is out since he's a werewolf)
- Harry being heir to the founders, Merlin/Morgana/Mordred/several other titles (Muggle or Magical)
- OP/Godlike Harry
- Conquest lordships
- Ginny/Harry, Harry/Hermione, Harry/Daphne, Harry/Luna, Harry/Fleur, Harry/Tonks, Harry/Susan; must be an OC (Magical, Muggle or Squib) or someone that is a background canon character
- Soul Bonds
- If Voldemort is resurrected, Harry's power being "love" that defeats Voldemort. It must be something else.
- Potters coming back to life
- Harry's Parseltongue being a result of Harry being a Horcrux
- Snake Animagus/Snake Patronus
- Multiple Animagus forms
- Multiple Patronuses
- Magical animagus, must be a mundane creature and reflects his personality
- You show how Harry's former professors at Hogwarts react to Harry living with these black sheep
- Harry developing an intellectual rivalry with Hermione and someone at his new school
- Harry does not easily accept the guardianship and acts rebellious like any normal teenager
- Harry developing a Muggle hobby or two in his spare time
- Harry's reactions to having a normal couple years and not having to worry about his fame for being the "BWL" because that only matters in the UK. Nobody else really cares.
- Over-Protective family of Harry and Snape if he joins in with the family in keeping Harry's whereabouts a secret
- Harry getting a Muggle pet
- Harry getting a job in the Muggle world during his school years (could be how Snape or even Sirius & Remus find him)
- Harry traveling the world, whether to visit family in different countries or just learning new forms of magic and how other people live
- Harry has the horcrux/scar removed and fixed
- The Horcrux affects Harry in some way (drains his magic, makes him prone to acting out/causing mischief, etc.)
- Harry's patronus (if in 3rd year) changes from a stag to another animal
- One of the wizarding schools Harry goes to is something aside from Ilvermorny, Beauxbatons or Durmstrang
Summary: Something happens (you choose what and how but make it plausible), and Severus ends up in an alternate timeline or universe. The timeline he left was one in which he had adopted Harry (you choose how long he had had custody of Harry) and they had a loving relationship. The timeline he finds himself in is the one we know and love from canon. He finds himself in a timeline where he and Harry are bitter enemies. Severus can't find a way back and he can't reconcile himself to leave his relationship with Harry as it is in this new timeline. He also can't watch the Harry of this timeline continue down the self-destructive path he's on without a parent because he loves him too much.
1. Make it plausible.
2. Make it realistic. No rushed relationships.
3. Keep Snape and Harry in character. I hate reading stories where their dialogue is unrealistic for their characters and when they do things their characters just wouldn't do.
4. No slash.
Snape probably tells Dumbledore at some point what's happened and where he came from as that would just make things easier (and actually more interesting as Dumbledore probably finds the concept of Snape having adopted Harry in any universe an interesting one).
Preferably I'd like to see a story in which Snape does not return to his original timeline and doesn't think overmuch on 'his' original Harry. Maybe something happened and the other timeline was actually destroyed, so 'his' Harry isn't left wanting for his father in another time and place. I also think it would be more interesting (although it's up to you) to have Harry be 13, 14, or 15, so he's a teen and his personality is already set. I can't see it being all that interesting with a younger Harry and if Harry is older that doesn't leave Harry any room at all to see how having Snape as a father figure would be beneficial as he'd be almost an adult by wizarding standards. All other details up to you. I'd love to see multiple entries for this challenge.
Summary: What if Harry isn't James and Lily's child, but James and Severus'? Bonus if Sev is Harry's "mom".
Snape is secretly addicted to a type of Muggle sweet (of your choice) that has a wizarding equivalent. How does Harry find out? What is Snape's reaction?
• If the wizarding equivalent is something meant for non-humans (Vampire/Werewolf/Veela/Centaur/etc) and there are assumptions abound.
• If Harry ends up addicted too.
Summary: Every year, the Hogwarts Headmaster plays the role of Santa for the students. One year, that falls upon Severus Snape.
1) It can take place at any point, Snape does not have to be Headmaster. Why he's doing it is up to you.
2) Snape must find out or grow suspicious about Harry's home life as a result.
Snape, in a fit of rage does something to Harry that he deeply regrets later.
No manipulative!Dumbledore, No Slash and no severe bashing.
- Whatever made Snape enraged was not Harry's fault.
- It is set in the fifth book/movie.
- The pairing is Luna/Harry.
- It is a multi chapter fanfiction.
Summary: Lily Potter appears as a ghost to Voldemort (at some point while Harry is at Hogwarts). She tells him that if he saves her baby from the Dursleys, then Harry can be swayed away from the light.
Voldemort decides to try and gives the task over to Severus. The rest is up to you.
Summary: Severus is forced to cut his hair very short. The reason may be up to you, but magic can not grow his hair back for whatever reason. However, his shorn locks turn out to be a good thing because his hair does not look greasy with this new cut. This may give Severus a new outlook on life or perhaps people are looking at him differently. Of course, Harry should figure prominently in the story.
Summary: Sirius is seriously affected by Azkaban and never really grew up. In fact, it amplified his immature and cruel personality. Somehow he is still given custody of Harry after he escapes (and is cleared, or he could get released, potentially early). Harry is forced to care for them both as Sirius is cares nothing for the boy's clothing, food and shelter, only the monthly stipend he receives for him. Sirius does what pleases himself and becomes wrapped up in all sorts of criminal activities that creates a very undesirable home environment for Harry.
Will Snape notice that something is wrong? Is Harry on his way to become a juvenile delinquent without a proper caring and guiding adult? This is not meant to be a nice story and I don't see Sirius greatly improving his behavior.
Summary: Girl!Harry story, containing a scene in which a very protective Severus is meeting her (potential) boyfriend. Could be father, godfather or stepfather fic, or he could be just a really protective teacher. Bonus points for creative "If you hurt her ..." threats.