Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:
Harry's friends take the Sirius thing way too far.
Keep It Together

Harry could only stare in shock at his supposedly dead godfather. Harry's insides turned to ice. They had taken their little prank too far. Way too far.

“Hello, Harry,” said Sirius.

Harry tried to stay calm. There was only one way to prove that this wasn't Sirius.

“Transform,” he said coldly. Everyone gaped at him, so he decided to make his point clear. “If you're really Sirius, transform.”

The man's face took on a pained expression and Harry knew instantly that this was not, could not, be Sirius.

“How could you do this to me?” he yelled. “You knew how I felt! First saying Sirius was alive, then you all leaving me alone, and now this! Who'd you get to take part in your little plan to torture me? Was it Tonks or did you make another illegal Polyjuice Potion, Hermione? I've had enough of your stupid tricks! I HATE YOU ALL!”

He ran out of the room, unable to stay and see that imposter. He ran into his room and slammed the door, breathing heavily. How could they do this to him? He knew he deserved it, though. He had killed Sirius and Dumbledore and brought this on himself.

Suddenly, his breath caught in his chest and he started coughing violently. He half leaned, half fell onto the closed door and slid to the floor. His vision wavered and he closed his eyes, allowing himself to escape to a dark oblivion.

~*~*~

Lupin stared, stunned, at the doorway Harry had just run out of. Harry didn't believe them…

He turned to Sirius and asked, “Why didn't you transform?”

“I can't. I don't know why,” replied Sirius, a look of anguish on his face. Lupin felt exactly the same way.

“I knew,” whispered Hermione. All heads immediately turned her way. “I knew Sirius couldn't transform, and I know why. I just didn't tell, because having Sirius back was more important then him being an Animagus. I didn't think it was that big of a deal.” She looked miserable.

“Why can't Sirius transform?” Lupin asked.

“It's the reason we were able to get him back. He is --was-- an Animagus. If one is to fall through the veil and be returned, it wants a sacrifice.”

“But what about--”

“That was a sacrifice on the part of the person bringing the dead person back. The dead person has to give something up. This is almost always the person's animal spirit. Hence, it took Sirius' Animagus form,” said Hermione.

Sirius put his head in his hands and mumbled, “Now he'll never believe me.”

“Yes he will. We'll re-teach you to be an Animagus. You've learned before. With Professor Lupin and me teaching you, you'll be Snuffles again soon,” said Hermione.

“That's right. I think I still have our notes somewhere,” said Lupin. He smiled encouragingly.

“I'm sure Professor McGonagall would be glad to help us too,” said Ron. Hermione smiled and kissed Ron.

“That's a brilliant idea!” she said happily.

“Well, why don't you three go Floo McGonagall and ask about her helping us?” suggested Lupin.

“Sure,” said Ginny, leading the other two out of the room. While waiting for the trio to return, Lupin and Sirius caught up, with Lupin telling Sirius all that he could about the last year. When Ron, Hermione, and Ginny returned, they were all excited.

“Professor McGonagall will be coming by later with a surprise for Sirius, and she's agreed to help us. She also says welcome back, Sirius. Oh, and she told us to make sure someone is keeping an eye on Harry,” said Hermione.

“I'll go,” volunteered Sirius promptly and started for the door.

Lupin grabbed his arm and said, “No, he might freak out if he sees you again. I'll go.”

He went down the hallway and faced Harry's door. He had to do this, whether Harry was angry at him or not. Harry's well-being was more important than leaving him alone.

He knocked once before attempting to open the door. It barely opened inches before hitting something solid. Frowning slightly, he concentrated, and Apparated into Harry's room.

It was fortunate the wards had been designed to allow Apparation inside the house, for Harry was lying in front of the door, his face pale and his body shaking slightly. Lupin quickly pulled out his wand and murmured a levitation charm and floated Harry onto his bed.

“Shite,” he breathed, looking at Harry's still form. He went back to the hallway and yelled for Sirius and Tonks. They came quickly and shut the door in front of Harry's anxious friends.

“What happened?” asked Sirius.

“I don't know. I found him collapsed on the floor. Maybe he's having a relapse,” said Lupin.

“Maybe…” said Tonks. “But there's no way he could have been exposed to the dust again, is there?”

Lupin shook his head. “Is there any way Voldemort could be doing something to him through his scar?” asked Lupin.

“Perhaps. If that's the case, our informant will probably write again soon. Otherwise, let's just see if there's anything we could give Harry from these potions,” said Tonks, moving to look through the potion box. “Hm… there's Fever Reducer in here, would that work?” Tonks asked.

Lupin felt Harry's head and found him slightly warm. “Yeah, I think so.”

He wrote ‘Drink this when you wake up' on a scrap of parchment, then took the vial from Tonks and set it on the table by Harry's bed along with Harry's glasses.

“We should let him alone to sleep,” he suggested, heading towards the door. The others followed him and once out of the room, Lupin cast a locking charm to keep Harry's friends out.

“What happened?” asked Ron.

“He still doesn't believe us. He wants to be left alone,” said Remus. He felt guilty for lying, but Harry didn't need them disturbing him when he was sick.

“Let us talk to him,” said Hermione.

“Sorry, Hermione, but he doesn't want to see anyone, especially you three,” said Remus. Hermione's eyes narrowed in suspicion; however, she just grabbed Ron's arm and stalked off, with Ginny following.

“Quite possessive, isn't she?” remarked Sirius.

“We're lucky they listen to us,” said Remus. “Otherwise she'd be in there right now trying to talk to him. She's already suspicious.”

“True,” agreed Sirius.

~*~*~

Harry woke up with his head pounding. He immediately rolled over and buried his face in his pillows to block out the unrelenting sunlight. His pillow? He didn't remember getting into bed. He remembered yelling and then returning to his room… then nothing. Lupin must have put him in bed.

He slowly rolled back over and found his glasses on the table by his bed, along with a vial and a scrap of parchment. Drink this when you wake up, said the note.

Shite, he must be getting sick again. Sighing, he drank the potion and set the vial back on the table.

He got out of bed and immediately had to clutch it for support. He dragged himself back into bed, not wanting to even attempt going any further. He curled up and let sleep come to him once again.

~*~*~

“Couldn't stay away, could you?” asked a mocking voice.

“You,” hissed Harry.

“You won't be able to trick your way out of here this time,” said Voldemort.

“Here? This is a dream and you can't do anything to me,” said Harry.

Voldemort smiled, a truly horrifying sight.

“Oh, no, my dear boy. This is so much more than a dream. We're going to have so much fun in here.” He raised his wand with a sly look. “You think I cannot do anything to you? Here is my answer to that. Crucio.”

The curse hit Harry, sending pain like fire through his body. He dropped to the ground and screamed, clawing violently at his body. When the curse was lifted, Harry lay still, panting.

“Silly boy, you have no idea what I am capable of here,” said Voldemort.

“You're nothing but an evil bastard,” gasped Harry.

“Oh, Harry, Harry, why do you have no respect for me?” asked Voldemort mockingly. “You're only making things harder on yourself.”

Harry shakily raised himself up to a sitting position. “I will never bow down to you and kiss your robes,” he hissed.

Voldemort smirked. “That just means I get the pleasure of hearing you scream until you finally give in to my will,” said Voldemort. “Epidermae Inflamarae!”

Harry was forced to the floor again, this time clawing at his skin and screaming from the white-hot flames that coursed over his flesh. Harry screamed until he was hoarse and the curse began to subside, though not taking away the burning pain or the red blisters from his skin.

He groaned as he forced himself to a sitting position, only to find Voldemort was gone. Harry looked around warily, expecting Voldemort to jump out from a shadowy corner and attack him again.

When no such attack came, he raised himself to his feet, wincing in pain. Sick bastard. He was probably watching somewhere, laughing.

He spotted a door across from him and after walking unsteadily over, tugged on it. It was locked. Angrily, he kicked at it. Instantly, pain shot through his head, sending Harry crashing to the floor once again. He clutched his head as pain reverberated through it.

“Have you had enough, Harry?”

~*~*~

“I think we ought to check on Harry again,” suggested Sirius as they sat in the library, perusing books on Animagi.

“Perhaps,” said Lupin. He stood and left the library with Sirius. Once upstairs, he unlocked the door and they entered to find Harry asleep, tossing and turning and mumbling incoherently.

“How is he getting sick again?' mused Sirius.

“It has to be Voldemort,” said Lupin. “There's no other way.”

Sirius sighed and moved closer to Harry. “Why do you have to be so stubborn?” Sirius said quietly.

Lupin touched his arm gently. “He'll come around. He's just learned not to trust people. After the last two years, who could blame him?” said Lupin softly.

“I hope so,” said Sirius, looking longingly at Harry.

Suddenly, Harry's eyes opened and he sat up, fumbling slightly as he did so. His glassy eyes focused on the two men.

“What are you doing in my room?” hissed Harry.

“We were just—“

“Get out!” said Harry angrily. “Get out and leave me alone!”

Chapter End Notes:
Next Chapter: A Way Out