Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:
Harry thinks he has a brilliant plan to escape Grimmauld Place, until he carries it out and things get complicated.
A Way Out

Harry pressed the heels of his hands into his eyes, trying to clear his vision. That dream had been much worse than the one before. He checked his arms and saw only unmarred flesh.

It was all a dream, he told himself firmly, just his mind's way of fucking with him. But still… it had felt so real.

He heard a soft pop near him and reached for his wand before remembering that he didn't have it. He relaxed when he saw that it was an envelope addressed to him and bearing the Hogwarts crest. He broke the seal and withdrew a single sheet of parchment. He unfolded it and read.

Mr. Potter,

As per a decision made yesterday by the school governors, Hogwarts will remain open this year to all who wish to remain in attendance. We ask that if you wish to attend Hogwarts this year, to please send a reply owl.

Thank you,

Minerva McGonagall

Hogwarts Headmistress

Harry crumpled the letter up and threw it across the room. No matter what that letter said, they were going to make him go back; he was certain of it.

Suddenly, he had an idea, one that would get his things back from Privet Drive and give him a chance to escape before they made him go back to Hogwarts. He walked over to the door and knocked on it.

“Professor!” he called loudly and waited. Minutes later, he heard the sound of feet coming down the hallway. When the door opened, he immediately said, “I need to go back to Privet Drive.”

“You need to stay here; it's the safest place for you,” said Lupin.

“No, you don't understand. I left some things there, things that I really need,” said Harry, forcing his face into a look of desperateness.

“I'll go get them for you, then,” said Lupin.

“No, I have to get them,” said Harry.

Lupin frowned, but conceded after a minute. “I'll Apparate you there, but you'll have to make it quick. Privet Drive is no longer safe.”

“All right,” agreed Harry, knowing that once he had his wand and the cloak, he wouldn't need to worry about being safe.

“We'll have to go outside to Apparate. Stay close once we're out there,” said Lupin.

As soon as they were outside the house, Lupin grabbed his arm and Harry immediately felt the horrible feeling of being sucked through a narrow tube. When they reappeared, they were outside the Dursleys' house. Lupin hurried him up the walk and knocked on the door, all the while looking around warily.

The door opened several inches and Vernon Dursley barked, “What?”

“We're just here to pick up a few things that Harry left behind. We'll only be a few minutes,” said Lupin.

“All right,” said Vernon gruffly and the door was opened the rest of the way. Odd, thought Harry. He was sure they'd put up more of a fuss than— He grunted as someone shoved him to the ground.

Stupefy!” A muffled thud beside him indicated that Lupin had been Stunned. The tip of a boot rammed into his head and Harry Potter knew no more.

~*~*~

When Harry regained consciousness, he was lying on a hard surface with his hands tied behind his back. He tried to sit up, but the intense pain that radiated from his head rendered him unable to move.

He heard the soft rustle of robes nearby and felt cool fingers on his face before a rough voice whispered, “You'll be out of here soon, Harry. Trust me.”

Seconds later, the person had moved away again and a different voice spoke. “Go inform our Lord that Potter has been captured.”

Chapter End Notes:
Next Chapter: We Meet Again