Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:
Special thanks to my beta, enb2004!
Chapter 8

The next morning came with all the anticipation usually associated with a Hogsmeade visit. For a moment it seemed that the students were too excited to line up properly and would never be allowed to go. At last they were released, however, and Harry, Ron, and Hermione watched indulgently as the impossibly-young looking third years ran out of the castle and cut capers across the lawn.

It was one of those rare, perfect autumn days that come and make all seem right with the world, and as the sunlight filtered through the brightly colored tree-leaves Harry reflected on how glad he was to have such good friends. It occurred to him that it was truly unfair of him to leave them in the dark about…some things…like the prophecy…and even, perhaps his rather odd new relationship with Snape…but Harry determinedly pushed those thoughts out of his mind. He was going to Hogsmeade with his two best friends in the whole world and he was going to enjoy himself.

Their unity did not last quite as long as he’d hoped, for as soon as they got into the village Hermione began looking to the bookstore in longing while Ron was torn between wanting to go into Zonko’s and drooling over the broomstick displayed in the Quidditch shop’s windows. “Go on, then,” Harry had said to Hermione with a small shove and an internal sigh. He would get to spend time with her this afternoon, he knew, while Ron disappeared on that errand, but it seemed that they spent so little time as a trio these days.

Then too, he considered, if everything worked out the way he thought it might, there might be even less time for a trio in the future. Not that he would begrudge his friends happiness, he told himself firmly. And if it took each other to make them happy, well, so be it.

With that thought in mind Harry had grabbed Ron’s arm and dragged him into Zonko’s where they proceeded to argue about whether it was better to waste money on dung bombs or something more sophisticated, like invisible whoopee cushions. Ron maintained that dung bombs were a classic, while Harry stated that at least whoopee cushions didn’t smell, and as they were invisible they couldn’t get in trouble if Filch decided to inspect their pockets. In the end they bought both and a few other items as well, all in the interest of supporting the grand, Gryffindor tradition of pranking your housemates, your dormmates, and anyone else you could get away with. When they finished in the joke shop they went next door to salivate over the new broomstick until Hermione found them there at lunch time.

The trio walked into the Three Broomsticks at the perfect time and managed to grab one of the much-coveted window tables just as a noisy group of fourth years was leaving. They ordered butterbeers and sandwiches and managed to talk and joke together without, rather miraculously, Harry considered, any arguments breaking out between the red-head and brunette. They saw a great many of their friends, and some of them stopped to chat for a moment or two, but they then continued on, and the Dream Team was left to itself.

It was not to last, however, as Ron stood up the moment he finished eating. “Got to run,” he said as he wiped his mouth and dropped the crinkled napkin on the table.

“Where are you going?” Hermione asked him with a slightly bewildered look on her face.

“I’m supposed to meet someone,” Ron mumbled as he hurried out the door. Hermione gazed after him in perplexity while Harry decided that Ron’s ears had been a lovely shade of red and had probably given him away.

He was proven wrong, however, when his other friend turned to him and said, “Do you know where he was going?”

“He didn’t say,” Harry said noncommittally.

“Yes, I noticed that,” Hermione said in an annoyed voice. “He didn’t tell you who he was meeting?”

“’Mione, you were sitting right there,” Harry said mildly. She glared at him. “He mentioned an errand earlier, but he didn’t say anything about meeting anyone,” Harry said with a sigh. “I don’t know anymore than that.” Hermione frowned but nodded in acceptance.

“Well, don’t let’s just sit here,” Harry said after a moment of watching his companion glowering at their empty bottles, “What do you say we go to Honeyduke’s?”

Hermione came back to herself with a small start. “Yes,” she said, straightening her shoulders, “that sounds like an excellent idea.” Harry smiled at her and a moment later they were moving off down the street to what was arguably the most visited shop in all of Hogsmeade. When they got there they bought and sampled many of the wares, even going so far as buying Fizzing Whizbees and chasing each other like third years while they were levitated.

After that Harry asked Hermione whether she had seen any books she particularly liked in the bookshop and that, of course, necessitated taking him back to show him several of the recently published tomes and a few that she thought would be very interesting to read if not entirely useful. Harry didn’t mind particularly, in fact he had hurried the bookish witch into the store when he thought he caught a glimpse of Ron lurking at the corner of the street. It was not long, however, until Hermione informed him that they ought to be heading back.

“Shouldn’t we wait for Ron?” Harry inquired.

“I’m sure Ronald will find his own way back,” Hermione had replied primly with a sniff that clearly stated that she was not sure of that at all.

“Er, right,” Harry said and followed her back to the castle through the waning afternoon light.

It was not until twenty minutes into dinner that they saw Ron again. He walked in and seated himself near his friends with a very self-satisfied air and a wink at Harry. “Hello!” he said cheerfully. “What’s for dinner, I’m starved!” Hermione gave him a disdainful look and went back to the astronomy text she had propped up against a pitcher of pumpkin juice. Ron looked rather puzzled at her response, but shrugged as he filled his plate and turned to join Seamus’ and Dean’s conversation.

When they got back to the dormitory that night Harry was dying to know what Ron had gotten and asked as soon as he thought the others weren’t listening. Ron turned bright red and said in a funny voice, “You’ll see.” Harry looked at his friend in surprise and shrugged. That night, however, he found himself writing in his journal again.

--------------

Saturday evening Severus paced his quarters as he waited for the appointed hour to come. He had noticed yesterday that Harry and Miss Granger had come in together and couldn’t help but wonder what was going on. He knew the two were close, but he had never imagined that there was any romantic involvement between the two, despite some very interesting rumors that a few of his Slytherins had manufactured.

In fact, he felt certain that any romance must be very new indeed, or he would surely have gotten an inkling of it over the summer. And furthermore hadn’t Potter been mooning over Chang last term?

Severus shook his head. It was none of his business really, but he couldn’t help feeling a little…concern. The boy was still young, and quite a lot of things were expected of him. Not that he didn’t deserve a normal life, of course, but still…Severus shook his head again. It was none of his business, he repeated to himself sternly. He was not Harry’s father, or even godfather. He was not Potter’s mentor, whatever the werewolf had said over the summer. He had no business nosing into the boy’s life that way. Snape sank into a chair with an exasperated sigh. Still, he considered. He didn’t even know if anything were going on. It certainly couldn’t hurt anything to ask, subtly, of course. Just to make certain that everything was alright.

-----------------

Sunday afternoon came and Harry donned his invisibility cloak and journeyed to the dungeons once again. Softly he knocked on the door which was opened an instant later. “Good afternoon,” Snape said after he had closed and warded the door.

“Hello,” Harry said, taking off the cloak.

“Sit down?” Severus offered, gesturing toward a chair.

“Sure, thanks,” Harry replied, taking the seat indicated. “Something wrong?” he asked, forehead creasing slightly.

“No.” Severus said sitting down on the other side of the desk. “Why? Guilty conscience?” he asked with a smirk.

“It’s a bit early in the year for that,” Harry replied with a grin.

“Yes, I’m sure you’ve got other things on your mind just now.”

“I suppose,” Harry shrugged.

“I understand you went to Hogsmeade with Miss Granger yesterday,” Snape asked. Internally he wanted to smack himself. What happened to finesse and subtlety?

“No, I mean, I was there and she was there, but we didn’t go together,” Harry said. “We’re just friends.”

“I see,” Severus said.

“Really,” Harry hastened to reassure him, mistaking his tone for disbelief. “I just ended up alone with her coming back because Ron wanted to buy her a birthday present without her knowing it.”

“I see,” Severus said again. He was very confused by the vague sense of relief he felt and decided, for the sake of his own sanity, to forget the topic completely and move on to things he could understand, like intrigue. “I notice you haven’t gotten into many altercations with Mr. Malfoy recently,” he remarked. For a moment he had considered not asking at all, it would be safer not to bring up this particular topic of conversation, but Severus told himself that he needed to know for the meeting he had planned with the Malfoy heir the next day.

“No, the Ferret has been acting very odd lately,” Harry said pensively. Snape scowled at that remark. “Well, he has,” Harry cried defensively. “He hasn’t taunted me or anything.”

“Is that so?” Severus asked.

“Yeah,” Harry said. “We even had a nearly civil conversation the other day. Is something going on?”

For a long moment, Severus was caught in a quandary. If he told the truth, his position as a spy could be revealed to Voldemort and he could be condemning Draco to a life of darkness, not to mention he would be directly disobeying the headmaster’s direct order.

So he lied.

He was surprised to find that he felt a twinge of guilt for it, but he looked directly into Harry’s eyes and said, “Nothing of consequence.”

Harry did not look entirely satisfied with this answer, but accepted it. “Alright then,” he said. “Shall we get on with the occlumency practice, then?” he asked.

Severus nodded and raising his wand a little said, “Legilimens.”