Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:
Thanks for all the feedback! I seriously love it. Let’s have a round of applause for enb2004, my wonderful beta!
Chapter 9

Monday morning came all too soon in most students’ opinions. Ron was, rather unusually, late to breakfast that morning. Hermione didn’t ask when Harry sat down next to her, which the young wizard noted with a frown. He frowned even more when he noticed that his friend was eavesdropping on the conversation that Lavender and Parvati were having. It seemed they had seen Ron in Hogsmeade yesterday going into Clancy’s Fancies and coming out with a bag. Speculation was running rampant.

Harry jostled Hermione with his elbow when he noticed that she was beginning to crinkle the pages of the book she held. She looked at him in surprise and then flushed when he indicated the tome with a flick of his head. “You alright?” he asked softly.

“Fine,” she reassured him in a voice that belied her statement. “I’m just fine, Harry.” Harry frowned again, but decided not to push the issue. After all, his conscience prodded at him, he had no room to talk on that subject.

That evening, after dinner, a young man once again stood in the pool of light in front of Snape’s office door. This time, however, the student was blonde and completely visible. He straightened his shoulders almost imperceptibly and lifted his chin a little before rapping firmly on the door. “Enter,” a voice called from inside.

Draco pushed open the door and stepped inside, closing it behind him. “You summoned me, Professor?” the young Slytherin asked with raised brow and precisely tilted head.

“I thought I would inquire about your progress,” Severus replied gesturing invitingly at the chair before his desk.

“Ah,” there was just a touch of bitterness in the youth’s voice as he seated himself. “I have been following him. I talked to him on Friday. We were civil.”

“That is good news,” Severus said, watching the young man before him closely. “A satisfactory base for further contact has been laid then?”

“I think so,” Draco replied. Severus raised an eyebrow. “He is not playing Quidditch this year. I thought that might provide a suitable opening for conversation if nothing else.”

“Most likely,” Snape said and leaned back a little. “How are you adjusting to this new year, Draco?”

“Well enough,” the blonde replied, blinking a little at the sudden change of subject.

“Not having trouble in any of your classes, I hope?”

“No,” Draco replied a little haughtily.

“Good. You may feel free to come to me should anything develop.”

“Thank you, sir,” Draco said as he rose, knowing he had been dismissed. Severus nodded as his student left.

-------------

Classes passed and homework was done. The tension between Ron and Hermione grew, which saddened Harry and puzzled Ron. Finally, Hermione’s birthday arrived. At lunch a cupcake appeared in front of Hermione’s plate, courtesy of Dobby. Hermione smiled and received the congratulations of most of the house graciously. She was most surprised when Draco ambled over to the trio as they were leaving the Great Hall.

“What do you want, Malfoy?” Ron asked as soon as he saw the blonde.

“I just wanted to wish Granger there a happy birthday,” Malfoy said coolly.

“Thank you, Draco,” Hermione said primly. The Slytherin prefect nodded and walked off while the Gryffindors exchanged worried and suspicious glances.

Much later that evening when the common room had mostly cleared out Harry was casting meaningful glances at Ron. Hermione noticed them and was growing more and more agitated though she was struggling to suppress it. Finally Ron stood up and said, “Be right back,” as he dashed up the stairs. He returned a few moments later and stood next to Hermione’s chair.

“What?” she snapped, looking up.

“I got you something,” Ron said, flushing darkly.

“Oh,” Hermione said, looking faintly embarrassed.

With a slightly flustered look Ron thrust a smallish package into her hands. “Thank you,” Hermione whispered as she unwrapped it neatly. Her breath caught a little when she saw the cream box with gold lettering that said Clancy’s Fancies. She opened it and gasped. Inside was a small, golden, heart-shaped locket with ‘to HG from RW’ inscribed delicately on the back.

“I hope you like it,” Ron said gruffly.

“Oh, Ron,” Hermione exclaimed. “I love it!” Standing quickly she set the box on the table and threw her arms around the tall red-head. “Thank you so much!” she repeated.

“You’re welcome,” he said as he released her, turning an even deeper shade of red. “I had to pick it up when we were in Hogsmeade,” he said, “that’s why I left that afternoon.”

“Oh,” Hermione said.

“I was sort of hoping,” he paused uncertainly for a minute, “hoping that you wouldn’t mind going into the village with me next Hogsmeade weekend.”

“Yes,” Hermione said, eyes shining, “I’d like that very much indeed.”

“Good,” Ron smiled back at her.

Chapter End Notes:
This chapter is a bit short, I know. Mostly it’s just to finish up the Ron/Hermione thing, which may be setting the stage for something else. Next chapter shows more Draco-Harry interaction and will be up soon.

As far as Severus caring that Harry went to Hogsmeade with Hermione, it wasn’t that he necessarily objected to her in any way, it was more the fact that he was going with anyone. It was intended to be a sort of parental moment, and I guess it didn’t work out quite as well as I’d hoped. I’ll have to work on that.

MQW