Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Training, Trouble, and Tempers

After a pleasant lunch, Harry was asked to go up to the third floor classroom where he usually had his Occlumency lessons. It was a sunny and inviting place, where Harry had come to feel comfortable; he relaxed on a bench near the window that looked out towards the lake, and in a warm shaft of sunlight, he closed his eyes. Clearing his mind, smooth walls in place, he filled his mind with happy thoughts of Sirius, in hopeful invitation.

“Nicely done, Harry, you are learning quickly!” Sirius’ voice held a smile. “How are you doing? How are the others?”

“I am better, actually, much better. It does make it easier having Remus here, and, of course, Ron and Hermione make it okay for me, Sirius. They make me feel less empty.” Harry paused. “I still miss you every day.”

“I know, Harry, I can’t even begin to tell you…I just need to know that you are doing okay, that everything is alright…”

Without warning, Harry felt another presence in his mind, and started to withdraw, when he felt a familiar calm come over him.

“Sirius?” Albus Dumbledore’s voice sounded loud in his mind.

“Dumbledore? How…?” Sirius sounded surprised.

“I wanted to see if this was possible, Sirius, as I have been giving Harry Occlumency lessons, and we seem to connect well. I will be brief, as Harry has been through enough already today. Sirius, please clear up any lingering doubt that you are Voldemort or an hallucination, tell us something only the 3 of us would know.”

Sirius chuckled softly. “Put your minds at ease, both of you. We were the only three in the room after the third Triwizard task, when Fawkes healed Harry’s leg with his tears. And, I assume, that Voldemort still doesn’t know that Harry is his equal and has powers that even Voldemort doesn’t.”

“Thank you, Sirius. And I imagine you want to know what has happened.”

Harry listened to Dumbledore’s brief description of the events of the past two days, rather bemused at the exchange going on in his mind.

“Thank you, Professor, I know that Harry is safest with you.”

“I will do my best. Thank you, Sirius.”

Harry felt Dumbledore’s withdrawal and knew he needed to go too. “Sirius…”

“I know you have to go too. Harry, do what Dumbledore tells you. Stick close to Ron and Hermione, and above all, please be careful.”

“I will, Sirius, I will.”

Harry opened his eyes slowly and blinked. It took a moment for his eyes to focus on the trio speaking quietly across the room. Remus Lupin and Severus Snape had joined Dumbledore near the door. Remus had not general joined Harry for his lessons since their return to Hogwarts, his trust in Dumbledore total. The mere sight of Snape in the room made Harry uneasy.

“Harry.” Remus saw him watching them and moved toward him, his face set in an unusually stern expression. “How are you?”

“I’m all right, Remus, what’s wrong?” Harry was puzzled with his godfather’s brusque manner.

“Remus feels you have been through enough mental torture in the past 2 days, Harry, and is reluctant to allow you to be subjected to any more this afternoon.” Professor Dumbledore explained quietly as he walked to stand beside Remus. He met Harry’s eyes. “How do you feel about continuing?”

Harry maintained eye contact, but chose his words carefully, very conscious of the third person in the room. “Well, when you have given me Occlumency lessons, I don’t feel sick and shaky, like I did when…when Professor Snape gave me lessons.”

Harry had taken to ignoring Snape since the night in London, neither acknowledging him nor speaking to him. He knew that this could not continue once the term started, but he was still working through his rage. It was taking a bit of time.

“In order to further protect you, as well as strengthen the control you have, Harry, I would like to start training you in Legilimency.” Dumbledore told him. “For that, I will need assistance from Professor Snape.”

“Which,” interrupted Remus, “is what I am concerned about. Especially as Harry learns to use his powers, Professor, his working with Severus could lead to…accidents.”

Snape shot a look of loathing at Harry and sneered. “I doubt Potter could ever get the better of me!”

Remus met Harry’s eyes, and in a quiet voice addressed Snape. “And you are underestimating Harry, despite the evidence that you have experienced first hand. Did you not listen to the Prophecy that the Headmaster relayed to us, that he has powers equal to Voldemort? If I were you, Severus, I would make an effort to see past the hate that clouds your judgment.”

Lupin turned to Dumbledore who was watching the exchange silently. “I have done some study of Legilimency and Occlumency in my travels, Headmaster, perhaps I would be able to assist you.”

“You! Snape spat. “Why would you have need of such skills?”

“In order to live, one must sometimes be untruthful about ones…limitations, Severus. There are not many who would knowingly hire a werewolf.”

Dumbledore studied both men for several moments. “I will consider it, Remus, but at the moment, I need to speak to Harry alone.”

Remus smiled reassuringly at Harry and left, escorting Snape from the room.

Dumbledore sat beside Harry on the bench and looked at him intently, and Harry returned the gaze.

“Do you trust me, Harry?”

“Yes. Professor, with my life.”

“I would like to just do this once, Harry, but I need to see if I can assess what happens when you feel Voldemort. It means, though, that you will have to allow me full access to your mind, without the barriers.”

“All right.”

They stood. “Legilimens.”

Snape’s brutal invasion had only been half the ordeal, Harry learned as he struggles to not slam his defenses into place. The memories of pain returned in fresh waves as he relived incident after incident. They flashed by in rapid succession, the pain intense and then ebbing, back to the possession by Voldemort in the Ministry, and finally, into the well of guilt and despair had begun in the Death Chamber. The guilt and despair that Harry still carried with him.

Just when he didn’t think he could take it any longer, Harry found himself back, supported by Dumbledore. Trembling, Harry looked up and caught a gleam of admiration in his Headmaster’s eyes.

“Thank you, Harry, I need to consider this and think of what I can do to help.”

Harry found Ron and Hermione pacing the top of the third floor staircase when he came out. Unceremoniously, the two dragged him out of the castle and down the sloping lawn to the bank of the lake. Harry was laughing as he slid down the grassy bank. Hermione and Ron careened into him as they slid too.

“What are you doing?” Harry asked, still laughing as he lay on his back, head pointing down slope towards the lake.

“Kidnapping you!” declared Hermione breathlessly.

Harry turned himself over and sat up. “What?”

“Kidnapping you, mate,” Ron repeated as he stood and began to pull treats out of his pockets.

“You have both gone nutters!” Harry muttered as he grabbed a chocolate frog.

Ron and Hermione both shook their heads. “Nope, not nutters, Harry.” Hermione began. “Ron and I have been talking since we got back to Hogwarts, and have watched you going through all kinds of lessons and stuff. We know that you have to learn to use your powers, and train to fulfill this ‘prophecy’ that you’ve been handed.”

“And we will be right there with you mind, and do anything we can to help.” Ron interjected.

“You have Dumbledore to train and guide you, and Remus to watch over you, but Ron and I figured out there is something missing.” Hermione hesitated for a second. “We figure that you need someone to make sure you are really okay, someone to make sure that you have some fun, who makes you laugh a little, and someone to get in trouble with.”

“And someone to deflate your head when it gets too big.” Ron threw in with a grin.

“Mostly, Harry, to just be there, someone you can go to who won’t ridicule you when you have a strange twinge, a bad date, or are just overwhelmed by it all.”

“Like a brother would.” Ron said.

“Or like a sister would, Harry, because we love you.” Hermione added quietly.

Harry looked from one to the other, his throat feeling constricted. “I…I don’t know what to say.”

“We know, Harry, you don’t have to say it, you’ve proved it to us time after time. Ron and I just wanted you to hear it from us.” Hermione sat down between the two of them and leaned her head against Harry’s shoulder.

Harry rested his chin on the top of her head. “Thank you.”

They sat in comfortable silence for quite some time, enjoying the sunshine and munching on the goodies they had bought at Honeydukes. Harry snatched a jelly slug from Ron’s fingers with a snap of his fingers.

“Bloody hell, Harry!” Ron dove at him, trying to wrestle it back before Harry could eat it. Harry managed to stuff it in his mouth and rolled away laughing.

Hermione showed them she’d been practicing when she summoned a chocolate frog from the pile with a wave of her finger. Ron snorted and tried to do the same, but after several attempts he’d only managed to make the frog flip over. Harry threw it at him with a grin.

As the shadows lengthened on the lawn, Harry told them about the session that afternoon, starting with Sirius asking about them. He went on to tell them about Snape and how he was struggling to get through the anger he felt towards the Potions Master. It was hard to describe the sensation of having to relive all the assaults on his mind from Voldemort since that ill-fated night in June.

“Do you think Dumbledore will let Remus help, Harry? Hermione asked.

“I dunno, but I hope so. It is funny though, remember when we first met Remus? He has always seemed to know exactly what I was thinking, finishing sentences for me, and that kind of thing.”

“Yeah, I remember thinking later that it was because he and your dad were so close.” Ron said.

“Maybe, but he said that he’d studied Legilimency.” Harry paused, studying a blade of grass in his hand for a moment, before he looked at Ron and Hermione. “I just don’t know if I can control my feelings enough to be able to learn anything like that from Snape. It would be like the Occlumency lessons he gave me, which seemed to do more harm than good.”

“That would defeat the purpose of trying to teach you, Harry, like before. Professor Dumbledore surely must recognize that.”

“Professor Dumbledore does recognize that, Hermione.” Remus Lupin’s voice startled all of them. “And he has decided to allow me to help, much to the disgust of Professor Snape.” Lupin watched them scramble to their feet, studying Harry’s face. “All right, Harry?”

“Yeah.” Harry grinned. “I think so, at least my brain has stopped hurting.”

“Good.” Lupin smiled back. “Now, you lot are late for dinner, covered in grass stains, and everyone is waiting. Come on.”

Laughing, suddenly feeling 16 again, Harry helped gather up the candy wrappers and followed his godfather and friends back up to the castle. The sun continued its slide behind them, coloring the lake with brilliant reds and oranges.

-0- -0- -0- -0-

Saturday morning dawned hot and muggy. Rather than letting them sleep in, Mrs. Weasley roused the teenagers and handed them a list of chores . The Shrieking Shack was cleaned and repaired. The tunnel underneath was cleared out. Protective charms were put into place on both these and the tunnel into Honeydukes.

Hot, sweaty and dirty, the four teens were dismissed in the early afternoon. Grabbing their swimming suits, they ran down to the lake to swim. Splashing and dunking each other, all thoroughly enjoyed themselves. Harry was sitting on the bank with Ginny, laughing as Ron chased Hermione into the water.

“Harry.” Ginny leaned over and covered his hand with hers. “I just wanted you to know that…that I…I care too.” She looked down, her cheeks red, but did not remove her hand.

Harry felt his own cheeks grow hot, but he turned his hand over and clasped Ginny’s. “I…I…uh, me too.” He cleared his throat. “Ginny, if there is a Yule Ball or anything this year, will you…will you go with me?”

“Yeah, that would be fun.” And they sat there, hand in hand for several long minutes, until Ron and Hermione returned, spraying them with water.

Dark clouds were gathering in the distance as the four of them made their way back up to the castle. They needed to get cleaned up for dinner, as it was Mrs. Weasley’s last night at the castle and they had all decided to put on their dress robes on for the occasion.

Outside the wind had picked up and lightning illuminated the Great Hall via the enchanted ceiling. Some of the teachers had started to return to Hogwarts in preparation of the start of term, now just a week away. Professor McGonagall was already sitting with Molly Weasley when Harry, Ron, Hermione and Ginny entered the Great Hall. Professor Flitwick, Madam Hooch, Professor Sprout, and Madam Pomfrey filtered in over the next few minutes. Remus Lupin took a seat beside Harry just as the first course was being served.

A lively discussion ensued about the DA classes that Harry had taught the previous term. Ron teased Hermione about her Patronus, an otter, as Harry laughed at him. Remus leaned forward.

“Are you telling me that you taught the entire Defensive Arts class to do the Patronus Charm, Harry?”

“Yeah, not everyone had learned it, but Hermione, Cho, and Seamus were all able to produce patronuses; everyone else at least was producing silver stuff.”

“Amazing.” Remus looked at Harry. “That is absolutely amazing, when you know that 7th years in NEWT levels have trouble with the Patronus Charm!”

“I think it was because the professor who taught me was so good.” Harry smiled at his godfather. Remus reached over and gripped Harry’s arm, a great smile on his face. Harry studied the face of the man beside him, pleased with how much better Remus was looking.

A brilliant flash of lightening had everyone’s attention as it lit the Great Hall; Professor Dumbledore chose that moment to appear in the doorway haloed in the light, and was welcomed warmly. Professor Snape came in near the end of dinner. Harry looked down at the table, pushing back the hatred, trying to repress the thoughts. This was Mrs. Weasley’s last night and he didn’t want anything to spoil it for her.

It was late when everyone finally got up from the table, stuffed full of fine food. Mrs. Weasley sent each of them up the stairs with a hug, as she was leaving first thing in the morning. Harry looked back at her from the top of the stairs, taken back by the terribly sad look on her face as she watched her youngest children go. He hesitated, but could think of no word that might comfort her, and continued up the stairs.

-0- -0- -0- -0-

Harry awoke early the next morning, just as a faint hint of gold light came through the dormitory windows. He quietly got up and dressed without waking Ron, and went downstairs. There was no one else around, and the Great Hall was unlit, so he just continued out the front doors. The grass was wet with dew as Harry headed down towards Hagrid’s cabin. They had not seen much of the large man in the time they had been back at Hogwarts, he had been very busy.

Harry strolled down the sloping lawn to the cabin door. There was no smoke coming out of the chimney, nor could he hear Fang barking. Unsure whether Hagrid was still asleep or simple not home, Harry sat on the steps leading up to the front door to wait awhile. It was a fine warm morning; all traces of last night’s storm were gone.

Harry sat in the sunlight, staring out at the forest, his thoughts drifting to Sirius. He remembered the time he saw the great black dog at the edge of the grass where he sat and how it had frightened him in the middle of a Quidditch game. Trying to keep his thoughts light, Harry thought of the other times the Snuffles had bounded towards him.

A loud “crack” nearby in the woods startled him, Harry knew it was the sound of someone Apparating close by. His hand went to the wand he carried stuffed in his jeans. His eye scanned the front of the Forbidden Forest, waiting. A rustle of undergrowth nearby alerted him, but he was still surprised when Severus Snape strolled out of the forest moments later. Harry quickly looked away, hoping Snape would just pretend that he wasn’t there.

“Potter! What are you doing here?” Snape stopped at the foot of the stairs.

Harry almost ignored the question. “Waiting for Hagrid.”

“Don’t you use that tone with me, Potter! You will watch yourself.”

Slamming the wall up to block the incredible feeling of hate that surged through him, Harry looked up in the into Snape’s eyes. “Term hasn’t started yet.”

“You go too far, Potter! Poor pitiful Potter, be nice to him, poor thing! You are pathetic!” Snape snarled at him.

Images came to mind as Harry continued to make eye contact. “And my mum was nice to you? Why? Or is that the reason you hate me so? My mum picked my dad and not you?”

Harry watched curiously as the rage surged into Snape’s face, turning it red. “What would you know of your mother? How dare you speak to me of her!”

“I have heard her death more times than I can tell you! Heard her begging your Dark Lord for mercy, heard her screams over and over!”

“If it hadn’t been for your father, you would never have been born, Potter! And you are the reason she is dead! You and your Prophecy killed her! How many people have to die for you, Potter, before you take your equal power and destiny to its fruition? Why don’t you spare the next innocent victim, and just go fulfill your Prophecy!” Snape spat at him, enraged.

The words hit Harry in the face like a slap, and he was overwhelmed with anger, all walls crumbling under the onslaught of his rage. He never saw Snape sail away from him, head over heels through the air to land 30 feet away, unconscious. He was too flooded with the rage he felt to care. In the back of his mind came the thought that if he could feel Voldemort’s rage, could Voldemort feel his? Harry struggled to rebuilding the walls, to contain the anger and despair that welled within him as deeply now as the night he lost Sirius. He tried to concentrate on the smooth stone walls, but he knew it had been his fault Sirius died, and now he had to contend with this view of his parents’ death.

Harry had no idea how long he sat there, how long it took to work through the rush of emotion and get the walls firmly in place. He tried to fill his mind full of happy thoughts of his parents and Sirius, not realizing that tears streamed down his face. Oblivious to his surroundings, he sealed off his hurt and anger, smoothed the walls repeatedly, ruthlessly clamping down on any stray thought.

“Harry.”

Opening his eyes, Harry looked into the worried eyes of Remus Lupin. The next moment Harry found himself telling his godfather what had happened in a rush. He felt Lupin’s arm encircle his shoulders and finished on a sob he couldn’t stifle. Remus held on to him until he ran out of steam, and sat with his head down.

“Do you remember what happened after that, Harry?”

“No, I was so angry that I guess I just felt overwhelmed. I didn’t see Snape leave.”

“Well, he didn’t actually leave, Harry. I was coming back from seeing Molly off at the Shrieking Shack about an hour and a half ago, and found Professor Snape on the grass about 30 feet from here.” Lupin tightened his arm around Harry’s shoulder. “It gave me quite a scare to find Snape, unconscious, on the lawn and then not be able to find you. We searched the castle looking for you and I finally saw you from the top of the Owlery. Everyone has been quite worried, I have to tell you.”

Harry looked up at Remus. “What happened to Snape?”

“I think it was either a Blasting Curse or a Stunner, but I’m not sure which.”

“What…what do you mean?”

“You blasted Snape, Harry, don’t you remember?”

Harry stared at him a moment, patted his wand in his jeans, and shook his head. “If I did, it was because of what he said to me, and I don’t remember doing anything. I just remember wishing him far away from me!” He exclaimed, defiantly.

“I believe you, Harry. Severus should have learned by now not to push you to that degree, as you have responded the same way before.” Lupin looked at him intently. “You do know that none of this is your fault, don’t you? The very last people who would want you to think you were to blame for a Prophecy made before you were born, were Lily and James. Your parents loved each other and they loved you, Harry. Your mum was nice to everyone, and made a special effort to be nice to Severus, but make no mistake, she loved your dad.”

Remus stood and held his hand out to Harry, helping him up. A glance at the sun told Harry that he had been on the steps for a couple hours, and he was suddenly apprehensive.

“Remus, is Snape okay? I just wanted to visit Hagrid, where is he?”

“Yes, Madam Pomfrey is patching Severus up, he has a mild concussion, I think. Hagrid is off on an errand for Professor Dumbledore. He should be back in the next day or so.”

“How much trouble am I in, Remus?” Harry asked in a low voice.

“Actually, Harry, I don’t think that you are in any trouble. The Headmaster specifically told Snape to leave you alone and made particular reference to these kinds of statements. I think it will be he who needs to explain what happened.” Lupin reassured Harry as they walked up towards castle. “I do want you to promise me, though, that you will not take a walk outside without at least leaving a note for me, or taking someone with you. Snape could have easily been a Death Eater Apparating into the Forbidden Forest.”

“Alright, Remus, I’m sorry, I thought I was safe here.” Harry mumbled.

Ron, Ginny, and Hermione were pacing the entrance hall as they walked and both girls flung themselves at Harry, giving him hugs and talking at once. Ron just stood looking at him reproachfully, like it was Harry’s fault they could not find him. Professor McGonagall hurried their way from the Great Hall.

“Potter! Are you all right?” She grasped his arm, as if to reassure her.

“Yes, I think so, Professor.”

“Then go in and get something to eat, you look terrible! And you lot go with him.”

As they made their way across the Hall, Harry could hear a brief, whispered conversation between the two adults, and McGonagall sounded furious. As Harry sat down at the table, a wave of apprehension flooded over him.

“I think I’m in trouble.” He told the others, and relayed to them what had happened. “All I did was wish that Snape would go away and leave me alone,” he said in a very quiet voice. “I didn’t mean to hurt him.”

Hermione looked at him hesitantly, as if delivering bad news. “Dumbledore arrived just before you came in, Harry, and he was very angry! He was a bit scary, he was so furious, didn’t even say a word to us and swept upstairs.”

“Great. Sounds like I’ve really done it this time.” Harry had a sinking feeling in the pit of his stomach, and the idea of consuming any of the food on the table nauseated him. He took a piece of toast, but couldn’t bring it to his mouth fresh grief churned his stomach.

“Harry.”

Professor Dumbledore’s voice held a tone that Harry hadn’t heard before, and looking up, he saw the Headmaster escorting Snape in front of him to the table. Dumbledore’s eyes were stormy. Harry stood up, not sure he was up to facing what was coming. He met the light blue eyes without flinching.

“Harry, Professor Snape has something he wants to say to you.”

Harry dragged his eyes up to meet the dark eyes of the Potion Master’s and was surprised to see wariness mingled with the usual loathing. Harry tightened the walls firmly and continued to maintain eye contact. He felt Remus’ presence beside him.

“I wish to apologize, Potter, for my comments earlier, they were…unfortunate, and I am sorry.” Snape sounded less apologetic then apprehensive.

Harry gave a slight nod of his head, not trusting his voice. It must have been enough, as Snape swept away with swish of robes. He looked back up at Dumbledore, whose eyes were narrowed as they followed Snape’s departure. He turned back and met Harry’s eyes, the anger still evident in the depths of his.

“I’m sorry, Professor, I didn’t mean to do anything to him! I was just trying to visit Hagrid! I…”

“Harry, it is alright!” Dumbledore put his arm around Harry’s shoulder and steered him back to the table. “Sit down.”

Harry sat in his chair, he saw that Ron, Hermione, Ginny, were still sitting with Professor McGonagall and Remus. Dumbledore sat down beside him.

“Do you remember what you did, Harry?

Meeting Dumbledore’s eye, Harry opened his defenses, lifting the walls. “No, after…after what he said, I was just trying to control my anger, and I…I just wished that he would go away.”

Dumbledore nodding slowly, a twinkle coming in to his eyes. “I should not like to make you angry, Harry.” He studied Harry for a long moment. “You have a question.”

“Yes, two actually, one is how much trouble am I in for…for what I did to Professor Snape?”

“And?”

“And do you think Voldemort feels it when I am angry like I feel his anger?”

Dumbledore was thoughtful for a moment. “I don’t believe that Voldemort has your sensitivity, Harry, as he has always been rather emotionless. I think the scar makes you especially sensitive to his outbursts, but it doesn’t seem that he senses yours.”

Harry nodded, reassured by the quiet words. “And…the other?”

Dumbledore sighed heavily. “I have told you before, Harry, that I trust Severus Snape. I have continued to underestimate the depth of his emotion where your father is concerned. I never thought he would…do what he did this morning. It won’t happen again, Harry, I promise you. You have no blame in what has happened, now or before you were born. You are not yet ready to fulfill your destiny, and it is our job to make you ready, and keep you safe until that time.” He took in the others in the room. “I know Remus has already told you that you need to make sure we know your whereabouts, or take one of us with you. Those of us here want what is best for you, Harry.” His eyes twinkled as Harry eyes shot to Transfiguration teacher. “Professor McGonagall has watched over you as long as I have, Harry, and she was with me the night we left you at Privet Drive.”

Harry looked at his head of house in surprise. She gave him a rare smile.

“Now, what do we have here for breakfast?”

Harry would have liked nothing better than to hide in the dormitory by himself for the afternoon, but the others would not hear of it. They were determined not to let him dwell on the dreadful words that had been hurled at him this morning. Ron dragged Harry back up to the dormitory to straighten up and put away the clean robes that Mrs. Weasley had left for them. Harry tried hard to ignore Ron’s obvious scrutiny while they cleaned.

“What!” Harry couldn’t stand it any more.

The tips of Ron’s ears went red. “I…I want to learn what ever it was that you used on Snape, no matter how hard it is! You have to teach me, Harry! I am your best mate!”

Harry had to laugh, of all the things that he had dreaded being asked, he had not thought of this. “Okay, Ron, I’ll teach you!”

Lunch was a happier affair than breakfast had been, although it was just Hermione, Harry, Ron, Ginny, and Remus who appeared for the sandwiches and soup. Still somewhat subdued, Harry smiled faintly at the interplay between Ron and Hermione. Remus leaned towards Harry and draped an arm around Harry shoulder, meeting his eyes.

“All right, Harry?”

“Yeah, I’m okay.”

“What are you doing this afternoon?” Remus asked, still studying Harry’s face.

“We are going up to the library, Remus,” Hermione announced. “Harry wanted to look up his family history, and we are going to help him.”

They spent most of the afternoon in the quiet library, poring over books on wizarding families. They were concentrating on James Potter’s family, as Harry’s mum had been muggle-born. Hermione seemed to be getting more and more excited as the afternoon went by, but would not tell them why. Ron and Harry tried to construct a family tree like the one on the tapestry that used to hang in Sirius’ house. Ginny took over the writing in disgust as the boys crossed out yet another name.

“Your dad’s family is another of the old pure-blood families, Harry.” Ron commented. “You might even be related to us.”

“Yeah, Sirius always said that all the pure-blood families where inter-related. It wouldn’t surprise me if we were.” Harry seemed to brighten at the idea. “And maybe I am actually related to Sirius on your dad’s side, Ron, not the Malfoy side!” Harry repressed a shutter. “Not sure I could handle that!”

“Uh oh.” Ginny sat back for a moment. “What would you do if I told you that you’re related to Snape, Harry?”

“What!” Harry roared. “You’ve got to be kidding me!”

“Would I do that? His is a pure-blood family too, you know. The good news is that you’re related by marriage, not blood, I think, and a number of times removed.”

“Thank goodness,” Harry murmured in relief.

Hermione chose that moment to slam a huge, dusty volume on the table. The others jumped back and looked up at her.

“You are not going to believe this, Harry, you are just not going to believe it!”

“What?” Harry asked, not sure he wanted to know.

“Your mum and dad were living in Godric’s Hollow when you were born, right?”

“Yeah.” Harry just looked at her.

“I think that your grandparents lived there as well, in fact, I think your family has lived there for a very long time. It seems the Potters have been there for many generations, according to this book. If this is true, Harry, your family goes clear back to the founding family of Godric’s Hollow.”

Harry looked at her blankly, not quite sure what she was taking about.

“Harry, I think you may be the last heir of Godric Gryffindor.”

A stunned silence followed Hermione’s statement. Harry was speechless, remembering the sword he pulled from the Sorting Hat in the Chamber of Secrets, and Albus Dumbledore’s words afterward ‘only a true Gryffindor could have done that’. He looked at Hermione.

“Do you really think so?” he asked quietly.

Hermione nodded. “I will have to check on a few things, but yes, Harry, I think so. Do you remember what Sirius said to Wormtail that night in the Shrieking Shack? ‘Going to give your master the last Potter?’”

“I remember that.” Ron said. “I wondered about it too.”

Hermione looked thoughtful. “It makes sense, Harry, when you remember that Voldemort is the heir of Slytherin.”

It fell into place in Harry’s mind, the whole Prophecy and why Voldemort chose him. Why so many people in his father’s family had been killed.

“Well, I guess that is the answer to some of the questions I have had.”

“Let me make sure of the facts, Harry, but I am pretty convinced.” Hermione told him.

By the end of the afternoon, they had pretty much established a direct line through James Potter’s family to the co-founder of Hogwarts.