Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:
Disclaimer: Not mine - just borrowing them!
Chapter 12

The room was dark when Harry opened his eyes, and it took him a minute to realize that he was in his own four-poster in the Gryffindor Tower. Pushing himself up, he found that his right arm was still stiff and sore, and there was a vague ache behind his eyes.

“Harry?” Ron’s voice drifted over from his bed.

“Yeah.” Harry tried to sit up.

“Easy, mate, Madame Pomfrey said you weren’t to get up or anything, and she left a couple of potions for you to drink.” Ron moved over to sit beside him. “She said to tell you that you’d be okay, just tired from all the magic you used on that Patronus, and sore from the curses you were hit with.”

Harry swallowed the ingredients of the vials that Ron passed him, and leaned back on the pillow. “I am glad not to be there, but the hospital wing must have been full is Pomfrey let me stay here.”

“Yeah, actually it was.” Ron studied his hands for a moment. “We lost two kids, a second year Ravenclaw and first year Slytherin, with a bunch of the people on the platform hurt. The ones that managed to get on the train were pretty well protected, and none of the DA was hurt very badly. Terry Boots took a nasty cutting hex to the chest, but that was the worst.” Glancing up, Ron looked at him seriously. “Thanks for pushing me out of the way of that killing curse on the platform, Harry, I never saw it coming.”

Harry could feel his cheeks heating up. “No big deal, you would have done the same thing for me, mate.” He laid his head back, sleep claiming him again.

Hogwarts managed to settle into the second term, the mood subdued to say the least, the on-going war having been brought to their very doorstep. Hogsmeade weekends and Quidditch were both canceled, the Headmaster concerned about the security of the students. Course work and classes continued as before, and the DA was opened to fourth and fifth year students, with their parents’ permission. The original members of the DA took over the responsibility of teaching the other students, assisted by Remus, Moody, and Snape.

Harry continued his special training sessions, learning as much as he could about using magical power that continued to grow. He never figured out for sure whether Voldemort had been on the platform that day in King’s Cross, or who had sent the killing curse toward Ron. The Dark Lord had been relatively quiet in the past weeks, with Harry’s scar giving him just a few painful twinges and no new visions. Able to eat and sleep normally did world of good for him, his cheeks filling out and the circles fading from around his eyes.

The cold wet winter slid seamlessly into to a warm spring, and by Easter break, Harry was growing concerned. He knew that the lull in Death Eater activity was worrisome, as the prickling in his scar told him that Voldemort was rebuilding his ranks of followers and regrouping. Strange disappearances continued and there had been a rash of mysterious deaths reported in the muggle papers that Dumbledore read. The Minister of Magic had begun acting again as thought Lord Voldemort was a mere annoyance, instead of maintaining a careful vigilance.

The course study for the sixth and seventh year students had been subtly changed to reflect the circumstances they found themselves in; healing and bone mending charms were taught; healing and restorative potions were brewed; and protective and shielding spells taught. Professor McGonagall had added an advance transfigurations class for those wanting to learn the basics theory of becoming an Animagus. It wasn’t an easy class, but mandatory for anyone who was thinking of learning how to transform, and Harry was intrigued enough to add it to his heavy course load.

Time pasted quickly, and it was the final double potions class on Friday afternoon before Easter break. Harry was actually proud of the progress he had made in potions since he and the stoic Potions Master had negotiated their hard won truce. Grudgingly, Harry had to admit to that he had learned to respect Snape’s experience and knowledge, while the older man had come to appreciate Harry’s talents, which made their training sessions easier for both. Just before class ended, Harry leaned over to glance at Hermione’s potion, making sure his was the same color and consistency.

“Potter! Five points from Gryffindor, and see me after class.” Snape sneered as he stalked past, and Harry could feel his cheeks heat.

Waiting until the last person left the room, Harry opened his mouth angrily, but bit his tongue as Professor Snape held up a hand. He quietly muttered a silencing spell, before turning to Harry.

“I have noticed some irregularities in one of the students, whom I believe may either be under the Imperious Curse or be someone else using Polyjuice potion.” He met Harry’s eyes, who made no attempt to hide his irritation.

“You took points for wanting to talk to me, Professor?” Harry ground out.

“Yes, fine, five points to Gryffindor, Potter, is that better?” Snape asked impatiently, and Harry nodded. “You need to watch Michael Corner, the sixth year Ravenclaw. There have been drastic changes in his potions abilities this past week, and he was not responding appropriately last night in the DA training session. I believe it warrants looking into.”

“How am I supposed to do that, sir?” Harry asked, trying to remember what he might know of Corner.

Snape looked at him as if to access his reaction. “Miss Weasley dated him for awhile last year I believe, possibly she would be able to make a better candidate for any assessment of a chance in Corners.”

Harry nodded slowly, quelling the tiny prick of jealousy that made his stomach clench. “Alright, sir, I will talk to her about it and get back to you over the weekend.”

Nodding, Snape waved his wand at the door, dismissing him.

After dinner that night, Harry whispered to Ron, Hermione, and Ginny to meet him in the Room of Requirement in ten minutes, before seeking Luna Lovegood out at the Ravenclaw table and whispering the same in her ear. Meeting everyone there, Harry opened the door to find a sitting room with couch and chairs arranged around a fireplace. A tea tray with hot chocolate and biscuits sat on a low table. Harry sat on one end of the couch, pulling Ginny down next to his, sliding his arm around her. He waited for the others to settle.

“Professor Snape held me after potions class this afternoon.” Harry began only to have Ron grumble.

“Greasy git took five points even!” Hermione smacked him on the back of the head.

Harry snorted, “He gave them back, Ron, but he is suspicious of one of the Ravenclaw sixth years he has in NEWT potions. Snape thinks he may be under the Imperious Curse, or worse, someone else using Polyjuice. He wants us to see if we can discreetly check.” He looked at Luna. “Have you noticed any difference in Michael Corner’s behavior this week?”

Luna turned to glaze at him; her slightly protruding eyes appeared to starring in the vicinity of his belly button, her forehead wrinkled in concentration. “Yes, Michael has been acting odd, he has been polite.”

Hermione looked at her in puzzlement. “It’s he usually polite?”

“No, usually he makes fun of me, and he has not done that all week.” Luna told them in her faraway voice.

Harry nodded and tightened his arm around his girlfriend. “Ginny? Are you willing to dig into it a little deeper and see what you think?”

“Sure, what are you thinking?” Ginny grinned at him, always game for an adventure.

“I am thinking that you and I should have a spectacular row tomorrow at breakfast, and Luna will console you by taking you back to the Ravenclaw common room. Once you are there, maybe you can remind Michael that you once dated, see if he remembers that.” Harry grimaced as Ginny grinned evilly. “But don’t remind him too much, okay? Then we will make up, spectacularly, Sunday morning at breakfast.”

Ginny leaned in and kissed him lingeringly. “Okay, as long as we get to make up spectacularly as well.”

Harry kissed her back, breaking apart when he heard Ron cough discretely. Hermione laughed as Harry turned almost as red as Ron was, and Ginny giggled. They spent the next hour going over contingency plans and enjoying each the company of their friends. It was nice, Harry thought, to feel comfortable and safe hidden away in this special room, with his friends. It was not often lately that he’d been given the chance to relax and enjoy such a simple pleasure.

They left the Room as a group, Luna turning down the corridor that led to the Ravenclaw tower, and Harry with the others headed for the seventh floor. Diverting to Remus’ room, Harry quietly stuck his head into Remus’ bedroom to check on his godfather. The full moon was rising and Remus was curled up on the floor of his room, peacefully sleeping.

Harry had their appearance at breakfast timed for midway through, hoping for the largest number of students in order for word to get back to any one not present, as Michael Corner had not been seen at many meals in the past several days. Catching the black glittering eyes of the Potions Master, Harry gave him a short nod. With Ginny on his left and Hermione on his right, while Ron sat across from him, they ate their meal quietly, waiting for Luna’s signal. Harry scanned the room casually, checking to make sure everything appeared normal.

Luna finally stood up from the Ravenclaw table, and slowly made her way towards the door. Ginny bent over her plate for a second, screwing up her face. Grabbing the piece of blank parchment from Harry’s pocket, she let out an angry screech that reminded Harry of Molly Weasley when she was irate. Ginny jumped up from her seat, and slapped him across the face hard enough to leave a mark.

“You no good two timing scum!” Ginny screamed her face red and angry, holding up the supposed note, which she tore into small pieces. “That’s the last time you do that to me! I hate you, Harry Potter!”

Storming out, she ‘bumped’ into Luna at the door and threw herself at her friend, wailing about boys being beasts. Harry sat blinking, feeling his cheeks heat as every eye in the Great Hall swung back to stare at him. He turned toward the head table, catching the twinkle in the blue eyes of the Headmaster, and the sneer that Snape was wearing. Ron belatedly jumped up and glared at him before, before hurrying after his sister. Hermione had her face buried in her hands, her shoulders shaking like she was crying, but Harry could hear her snigger. With a sigh, he pulled her to her feet and led her from the hall, the whispers growing louder behind him.

Ron was waiting when they returned to the common room, his smirk widening as he took in the small red handprint still visible on Harry’s face. Harry glared at him, before the three of them settled in, at Hermione’s insistence, and worked on homework. Usually when they had holidays, the boys would wait until mid-week, but Hermione had insisted that they were losing a day together, while Ginny and Luna were ‘spying’, so they might as well get the homework done. With an occasional glance at the brilliant blue sky, the three immersed themselves in homework.

Harry decided it would be best to keep out of sight, and let Ginny do what she needed to, so he stayed in upstairs when Ron and Hermione went to lunch. After checking on Remus, he sat down to continue his potions essay. The others finally returned, Ron carrying a slightly squished ham sandwich for Harry, and Hermione handed him a plate of treacle tart, both of which he devoured.

“Was Ginny at lunch?” He asked between bites.

“Yeah, she was sitting between Luna and Corner at the Ravenclaw table, chattering away.” Ron snorted, picking his Transfiguration book and essay.

Harry nodded, biting back a sigh; he brought out his Transfiguration essay as well. The three best friends worked diligently through the pile of homework, Hermione done first, as usual. She was finishing proof reading Harry’s potions essay before she and Ron headed down to dinner. Waving them off, Harry began to pack his stuff back into his school bag, grumbling that someone should appreciate the effort he and Ginny were making. After putting his bag back in the dorm, Harry slipped down the hall to check that Remus was still resting comfortably in his rooms.

Walking back towards the portrait hole, Harry was lost in thought about his dad, Sirius, and Remus, and the escapades of the Marauders. Although he knew that the friends had been harsh on Professor Snape in their school days, he could not help but wonder what it would have been like to be able to transform as they had each month. With invisibility cloaks and the Marauders map, and the ability to turn it animal forms...

The Marauders Map, Harry thought suddenly, stopping in his tracks. He hit the heel of his hand to his forehead, what an idiot I am, the map! Running through the common room, Harry ran to the dorm, diving into the bottom of his school trunk. Grabbing his invisibility cloak, he stopped long enough to leave a note for Ron and Hermione, and dashed out of the room.

Throwing the cloak over him, he ran through the halls and down staircases, slowing when he encountered groups of students who might hear his footsteps. Making his way to the Defense Against the Dark Arts classroom, he waiting until he was sure the corridor was clear and then pounded on the door. He pounded a second time a minute later, hoping that Moody had made it back from dinner. As he raised his hand a third time, the door was flung open, his wrist grabbed and he found himself on the floor of the classroom looking up.

“I hope you have a good reason for pounding down my door, Potter.” Alastor Moody growled at him.

Harry scrambled up, shaking out his cloak. “Yes, sir, I do. I need to borrow back my map, please, Professor Moody.”

The electric blue magical eye looked him up and down so fast; Harry had to look down, as it was making his stomach queasy.

“Any specific reason you need it, Mister Potter?” Moody asked suspiciously, flicking his wand in the direction of his office. The large piece of parchment that Harry recognized as the Marauders map flew into his hand.

“I need to help Professor Snape with a question he has.” Harry told him honestly, bristling at going through an inquisition to retrieve his own property.

Moody handed him the map reluctantly, Harry thanked him, threw a thank you over his shoulder and disappeared under the cloak again. Making his way to the dungeons took a little longer, as he dodged more students returning from dinner. The door to Snape’s office was ajar, and Harry pushed it open silently. The Potions Master was speaking to one of the Slytherin prefect’s about another student, as Harry slipped silently into the room. Moving to stand in the furthest corner of the room, Harry endeavored to ignore the conversation. He could feel the dark eyes following him, and wondered idly how it was possible for the man to know that he was here. It dawned on Harry that he also seemed to be able to tell when someone was near him, even if the person was invisible or it was dark. Perhaps it was a magical ability.

The prefect left, and he watched as Snape stood, waving the door shut with his hand. “It must be extremely important, Potter, for you to act in such a manner, please take the bloody cloak off so I can see you!” The older wizard snarled.

Harry whipped the cloak off, and dropped in on the floor, as he walked over to the desk with the map. Snape eyed it suspiciously, and Harry could see that he recognized it.

“You bring me an old piece of parchment that insults people, Potter?” The onyx eyes gleamed dangerously.

“No, sir, I bring you a map that may help us.” Harry was uncomfortable, but knew that it was the safest way to figure out what was going on. “This is a map that was given to me in my third year, as I am sure you remember it.” Spreading the map on the desk, he touched it with his wand. “I solemnly swear I am up to no good.”

Ignoring the snort he heard, Harry watched as the map revealed itself and traced a finger towards the Ravenclaw Tower. As he was doing that, the map was snatched up.

“What is this?” The question was asked in a deadly quiet voice, fury in every syllable.

Sighing, Harry turned around to where Severus Snape stood behind him, examining the parchment. “Professor Snape, I would not have brought this too you it I had though you still held on to old grievances. I came here tonight because I trust you enough to show you something that has been a well kept secret for several years. This map was constructed by my father and his friends while they were students here at Hogwarts. The Headmaster had asked me to lend it to Professor Moody as he was using it to monitor who was in the castle this past summer.”

Harry’s tone was respectful, but determined. He wanted to make sure that Snape realized that not only did the Headmaster know about this map, and was using as a tool, but that Harry had enough trust in the Potions Master to bring it to him. As he watched, the older man took a deep breath and laid the map back down on his desk.

“I would have preferred not to have been lied to that day three years ago, Harry, but I will concede that we have both learned much since then. I would like you to explain this map to me, please.”

Taking a few minutes, Harry explained the obvious and the not so obvious functions of the map, the secret passageways, and the little flags with names that identified each person. In a subdued voice, he went on to explain how he’d seen Peter Pettigrew’s name on the map his third year, and Barty Crouch’s name there the next year.

“So it will work even if someone is using Polyjuice potion, Professor.” Harry told him, his finger once again tracing the hallways towards the Ravenclaw tower. Finding the common room, he smiled when he found Luna’s name flag, next to the one that read Ginny Weasley, until he noted the name flag of the person alongside Ginny.

Draco Malfoy.