Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:
Disclaimer: Not mine - just borrowing them!
Training With Snape and Remus

November passed swiftly into December without any further incidents, But Harry’s scar continued to prickle and ache daily. The weather turned cold and winter laid a thick mantle of glistening white snow over the turrets and towers of the castle, covering the Hogwarts grounds. Hufflepuff lost a rousing Quidditch match to Ravenclaw just at the end of November, and Slytherin smashed Ravenclaw just before the start of Christmas holidays.

Most students were going home for Christmas, parents being nervous after learning of the Dark Marks appearance so close by at Halloween. There had been no other outward signs of Voldemort’s activities, but the Daily Prophet had begun to report the disappearances of witches and wizards who had denied they were the Dark Lord’s supporters last time. It was unknown whether they had gone to rejoin his Death Eaters, or were being killed for revenge, as no bodies were found.

Harry, Ron, and Hermione were almost always together, attending the same classes for the most part. Ginny was a frequent fourth in their group, outside of class. Members of the DA had been made aware of the potential threat to Harry by other students, making sure that there was always someone with him and the others. The group quickly fell into the habit of staying together, whether in their own Houses, or collectively studying in the library. This seemed to promote good inter-house relationships between the three Houses represented, which seemed to please Dumbledore.

Classes had gotten progressively harder for the fifth and sixth years. Ginny had her hands full with the pre-OWL homework given, and the rest were buried in pre-NEWT studies. Transfiguration had begun to study Animagi; Charms was working on Fidelius theory; and Herbology trying to grow gillyweed and monksford. Harry’s head felt like there was just too much information being crammed in. Potions was at least hands on, with Professor Snape almost being civil to them as they were assigned to brew various medical and healing potions to restock the hospital wing for Madame Pomfrey. Snape had not changed since the incident in the hospital that Harry could see, still the sneering, snarling Potions Master, but he had stopped actively persecuting him. Only in Defense Against the Dark Arts was Harry confident in his progress.

The Wednesday before Christmas holidays, Remus stopped Harry on the way out of lunch, and sent him up to the dormitory to change into muggle clothing and get his invisibility cloak. Curious, Harry ran up, changed, grabbed his cloak, and met Remus back in the Entrance Hall. Without speaking, Harry followed his godfather up to the Headmaster’s office.

“Chocolate Frog.” Remus said to the gargoyle guarding the entrance and it sprang aside immediately.

Harry was surprised to see Severus Snape; dressing in a traveling cloak, already in the office, speaking to Albus Dumbledore is a low voice.

“Good afternoon, Harry.” Dumbledore greeted him warmly, his rich scarlet robes embroidered with gold Phoenixes. Remus stepped over and said something to Snape, Dumbledore turned back to them.

Fawkes the Phoenix sat on his perch behind the door, blinking at him serenely, and Harry moved towards the bird.

“Hello, Fawkes.” Harry said softly to the scarlet and gold bird, and Fawkes bowed his head, allowing Harry to stroke him.

“Harry.” Dumbledore put a hand on his shoulder. “I have something I would like you to do today.”

Harry smiled up into the light blue eyes. “Yes, sir?”

“I am sending you to Grimmauld Place with Remus and Professor Snape. I would like you to practice Apparating and the disappearing I taught you this summer.” Dumbledore’s eyes grew serious behind the half-moon spectacles. “Then I would like you to make a trip to Diagon Alley.”

“Diagon Alley?” Harry looked at him puzzled.

“Yes, Harry, which I realize is a risk, but in the past week all of the known Death Eaters that were being watched have disappeared, and the Order is concerned that Voldemort may be planning something. The last time any of they had been seen, they were in London, and if word leaked out that you were spotted in Diagon Alley, it may draw some of them out into the open.” The blue eyes were concerned. “I am aware of the danger I am asking you to place yourself in, Harry, both physically and what you will suffer when Voldemort finds out.” He searched Harry’s emerald eyes. “You do not have to do this, Harry, if you do not want to.”

Harry smiled, his eyes sparkling. “Can I buy a couple of Christmas presents?”

Dumbledore chuckled and patted his shoulder. “If you can do so quickly and safely, with Remus or Severus approving it, I image you can. I would like you to make several brief appearances, using a combination of your invisibility cloak and the disappearing magic. You must not stay in one place for more than a few moments, and you understand why, of course?”

“Yeah, don’t want Voldemort popping in on us unexpectedly.” Harry agreed.

The Headmaster turned Harry to face him, a hand on each shoulder, the clear blue eyes piercing the emerald green. “You are not to go anywhere without Remus or Severus at your side. There will be members of the Order of the Phoenix in the area, but you must not acknowledge them, or go with them or anyone else for any reason. I know that you trust Remus, but you must also trust also trust Professor Snape with your life. Can you do that, Harry?”

Harry looked into the searching blue depths, thought back over the last few months and his encounters with Snape. He knew that he might not like the man very much, but he did trust him.

“Yes, Professor, I can.” Harry responded sincerely, carefully not looking at the Potions Master.

Dumbledore squeezed his shoulder and nodded, a smile lighting his face. Reaching to Harry’s right, he picked up an old black kettle from a small table.

“Portus”

The kettle glowed blue and trembled for a second. Dumbledore handed the kettle to Remus. “Gentlemen, good luck.”

Harry gripped his cloak and put a hand on the kettle with the other two men. The familiar sensation of a hook jerking him from behind his navel, and then they were spinning.

The kitchen of twelve Grimmauld Place appeared in front of him and Harry stumbled, grabbing at Remus to steady himself. Molly Weasley jumped up from the table with a cry.

“Harry!” Engulfing him in a great hug.

“’Lo, Mrs. Weasley.” Harry mumbled into her shoulder. She pushed him to arms length and ran a critical eye over him.

“Remus, he isn’t eating enough.”

“Yes, Molly.”

“And he looks peaky.”

“Yes, Molly.”

“And…”

“Yes, Molly.” Remus gently pried Harry away from her, and leaned over to kiss her cheek. “We really must get started, Molly.”

Muttering under her breath, Mrs. Weasley left the kitchen, closing the door behind her. Remus turned back to Harry, who saw that Snape was a silent presence next to the table.

“Alright, Harry, I want you to Apparate up to the drawing room and then back down here.”

Harry nodded, visualizing the room, Disapparated. Arriving in the dim empty room, Harry felt a pang of grief as he glanced, remembering Sirius. He closed his eyes and Apparated back to the kitchen.

Snape was now sitting at the table, as Remus stood by the fireplace. Harry practiced twice more at Remus’ direction.

“Well done, Harry, now, let me see you appear and disappear, please.”

Harry handed Remus the invisibility cloak that he had been carrying, took out his wand, and twirled. Disappearing, he reappeared at the foot of the stairs; disappeared and reappeared near the dresser. Harry twirled again, and reappeared behind Snape, causing the Potions Master to jump.

“Sorry, Professor.” Harry said quickly, Snape staring at him.

“I am impressed, Potter.” Snape said in a level voice. “There are not many who are able to achieve that.”

“Yes, very good, Harry.” Remus walked over. “How do you feel? Do you want to practice more?”

“I’m okay, Remus.” Harry said quietly. Sitting down in the chair next to Snape, he put his wand away.

“All right then, we are going to Apparate to the back store of Fred and George’s shoppe, and we will leave together with Harry under the cloak. We need to go to the Apothecary, and where did you want to go, Harry?”

Harry’s face went red. “Uh, the jewelry shoppe and the clothing shoppe.”

Remus smiled faintly. “So we’ll start at the clothing place, where Severus will take the cloak for moving on to the Apothecary, and then the jeweler. Does that sound agreeable, Severus?” He handed Harry back his cloak.

“I believe so, Remus, as that makes at least one of us invisible at all times, which should confuse anyone watching.” Snape stood up.

“Alright, then, if we are ready, I will Apparate first, give it a minute, and then both of you can Apparate in.”

Harry stood and watched as Remus Disapparated. Gathering his cloak, he waited stiffly for Snape to give the go-ahead.

“Relax, Potter, I am not going to attack you.”

Harry was finding it difficult to relax in the man’s presence.

“Time to go, Harry.”

Harry started and looked up at Snape, puzzled.

“I do not think you want me calling you ‘Potter’ all afternoon, in the middle of Diagon Alley. Ready?”

At Snape’s signal, they Apparated to the back room of Weasley’s Wizard Wheezes. Remus looked relieved, Fred and George practically knocked Harry over with their greeting.

“You guys must be doing great, you look fabulous!” Harry said as the two pounded him on the back. Pulling a piece of parchment out of his pocket, he handed it to Fred. “I was going to send this up to you tomorrow, can you take care of these for me, for Christmas?”

“Of course, mate, no problem!” They both beamed at him, dressed in identical purple jumpers and jeans.

“Harry, best put on your cloak.” Remus called from the doorway to the shoppe.

Harry disappeared under the cloak, and walked between Snape and Lupin moving leisurely toward the clothing shoppe. Standing behind his companions, Harry took off the cloak and quickly passed it to Snape. Harry entered the store, and saw immediately what he was looking for. Walking over to the sock, he quickly picked out two pairs of thick wooly socks in Gryffindor colors, and grabbed a glowing chartreuse scarf that he was sure Dobby would love. Paying for the items, Harry preceded Remus to the doorway. Stepping outside, he immediately began to twirl and disappeared. Reappearing in the doorway to the Apothecary, he ducked quickly inside.

“Harry.” Snape hissed and Harry moved towards him, shielding the Potions Master as he pulled off the invisibility cloak.

Remus joined them as Snape quickly began to gather several different potions ingredients. Harry moved to help, holding the items Snape chose, while Remus watched the people walking in front of the store. Piling the handful of things Snape had picked on the counter, Harry paid for them quickly, and moved back to the where Snape was examining a shelf of bright powders.

“Uh, sir?”

“What is it, Harry?”

“The man behind the counter is watching you like he knows you. I’ve paid for the other things already. Perhaps we should go.”

Snape’s head whipped up and he shot a glance at the wizard in question. Harry stepped in front of him, and Snape disappeared under the cloak. Joining Remus at the door, they stepped out. Remus scanned the faces of the crowd intently, as they made their way to the Jewelry shoppe that stood by itself at one end of the alley. Harry twirled and disappeared from the side of the Apothecary, reappearing next to the jewelry store. He slipped in ahead of the other two, and went immediately to the display of watches. Swiftly looking over the selection, he picked out a simple but elegant gold and silver pocket watch.

“Excuse me.” Harry addressed the bored looking older man who stepped out of the backroom. “I’d like this watch, please, for my godfather, who is about to step through your door. Can you get it in to a box quickly, please?”

The man sauntered over, his assessing eyes running over Harry, who was now looking over the display of lockets. Remus came through the door, appearing to be alone. Harry quickly found what he was looking for and handed it to the jeweler.

Turning to Remus, he asked. “Any ideas on what Hermione might like?”

Remus laughed shortly, and immediately pointed to an elegant gold and feather quill and ink set. Harry added that the items on the counter.

“Is the young master sure that he can afford these?” The jeweler asked, his voice slightly condescending in tone.

Harry’s eyes narrowed and he turned to the older man, taking in the slightly curled lip. Drawing himself up, Harry tilted his head, and looked down his nose, in his best Snape impersonation. The hair on the back of his neck suddenly stood on end.

“As heir to the Black estate and the last surviving Potter, sir, I believe there is more than enough gold in my Gringotts vault.”

The man blinked in astonishment, his eyes darting to the scar on Harry’s forehead.

“Mister Potter! My apologies! I did not recognize you!” The man simpered.

Harry swept the boxes off the counter and headed for the door where Remus waited, almost running into Snape concealed under the cloak. As he pushed open the door, he swore he heard sniggering. Remus joined him outside, and Snape appeared from under the cloak. Remus was grinning, and much to Harry’s surprise, so was Snape.

“Sorry, but he made me mad.” Harry muttered, slightly embarrassed.

The strange tingle at the back of his neck happened again.

“I think we are being watched.” Harry told his companions quietly.

“Go!” Remus urged softly. “Apparate, Harry, to the house, now!”

Harry did what he was told immediately, Apparating to the kitchen of Grimmauld Place. He had barely set his packages down when Remus and Snape appeared beside the fireplace. Folding the invisibility cloak, Snape set it on the table.

“I need to warn the twins.” Remus said suddenly.

Stepping toward him, Harry grabbed him by the arm; a feeling of foreboding ran down his spine. “No, Remus, I don’t like this, please don’t go!”

“I will go.” Snape announced, but the same feeling of trepidation ran down Harry’s spine.

“No!” Harry grabbed Snape as well, and met the dark gaze, fear evident in his emerald eyes. “You are a target, too.”

The scar on Harry’s forehead gave a searing throb, and turning from the two men, Harry clapped his hands to his head with a sharp intake of breath.

“We need to get back to Hogwarts, Harry.” Remus told him, his hand on Harry’s shoulder.

With a crack, Fred and George Weasley Apparated into the kitchen. Pale faced and visibly shaken, the two slumped into chairs. Remus moved to check on them.

“Bloody hell, Harry!” George wheezed.

“Thank goodness you got back!” Fred completed the sentence.

The scar seared white-hot and Harry took a ragged breath. “What happened?”

“About ten minutes ago, two Death Eaters in masks and robes rushed into the store, and ran directly towards the back room.” George said.

“So, of course, we hit them with an Impediment Jinx, and threw them out!” Fred continued.

“A couple minutes later, the jewelry shoppe at the end of the Alley exploded.” George went on.

“And all we could do was close up and hope like hell that you had already left.” Fred finished.

Sharp pain sliced through his head and Harry staggered. A strong arm wrapped itself around his chest, holding his up.

“Remus!” Snape’s voice was sharp in Harry’s ear. “We need to get Harry back, now.”

Remus grabbed the packages from the table and picked up the old kettle.

“Stay out of the Diagon Alley for a couple days, boys.” Remus told the Weasley twins. “Portus.”

Remus grabbed Harry’s hand and wrapped it around the lip of the kettle. Snape kept one arm around Harry and one on the kettle. Harry didn’t have time to brace himself, and just as the hook yanked behind his navel, his head exploded in agonizing pain. The world went black.

He was falling, his head cleaved in two, and stomach churning at the incredible pain. Someone had him, holding him tightly, protectively, and Harry turned his focus inward, sealing his mind against the burning pain, trying to smooth the walls. The spinning and falling finally stopped, an arm still tightly securing him around the chest, and another wave of fire pulsed through his head, visions playing in his mind.

Soft warmth brushed his face, and Phoenix song thrilled, softening the brutal edge of pain. Harry tried to focus on the images that were running through his mind. He was aware enough of his surroundings to know they were back in the Headmaster’s office, and Remus was beside him, speaking softly, reassuringly.

A fresh wave of agony flashed through him, and he could feel his body spasm uncontrollably, arms fighting to hold him safe. His stomach heaved, and his scar felt branded, white-hot on his forehead. Cool fingers laid over it, calming and reassuring. Harry felt blindly for the hand with his right hand, his left seeking the arm across his chest, anchoring himself as he gasped in pain. Slowly, the pain ebbed to the point where he could understand the anxious voices.

“This has gone on too long, I’m going to get Poppy!” Urgency colored Remus’ voice.

“No!” Harry gasped, stretching out his right hand toward his godfather. “No!”

“Harry, what is it?” Dumbledore’s calm voice swirled over him, as Harry felt Remus grasp his hand.

“…spies…don’t tell…anyone…” Harry struggled to get the words out, his teeth gritted against the pain. He took several deep, ragged breaths, swallowing against the bile rising in his throat. He managed to open his eyes, as a goblet was pressed to his lips.

“Here, son, take a drink.” Remus knelt beside him, tilting water into his mouth.

Harry let the cool water slide down his throat, the waves of pain finally ebbing enough for him to speak coherently. “There is a spy in the Order, as well as here.”

Stunned silence followed his announcement, and Harry saw that he was on the floor of Dumbledore’s office, under the window by the fireplace. Severus Snape held him firmly around the chest, his back braced against the wall. Still trembling, his head throbbing painfully, Harry had neither the strength nor the will to push away. Remus and Dumbledore knelt on either side of them, both looking worried. Fawkes stood near Harry’s right leg, his somber eyes watching intently.

“What did you see, Harry?” Dumbledore asked softly.

A shudder ran through him, and Snape tightened his grip on Harry. “First came word that someone had spotted me in Diagon Alley, and Voldemort was really happy about that, sending two Death Eaters there.” Harry spoke softly, willing the tremors running through him to stop. “They weren’t able to find us, and that made really mad. Then the jeweler, who was a follower, told him that he had sold me items, identified myself by name, and described Remus to him. Voldemort was so angry that the man didn’t notify him while we were still there, he killed him on the spot and blew up the store.” Harry paused, closing his eyes briefly.

“Right after that, a hooded figure told him that…” Harry trailed off, uncomfortable.

“Yes, Harry?” Dumbledore prompted gently.

“Told him that I appeared to have been put under some kind of spell by Professor Snape, who was now in control of my mind and directing my actions, and that was why I had saved him that morning.” Harry felt Snape stiffen behind him, but still held him firmly as Harry made to pull away. “He told Voldemort about the first week of school when you took all those points, sir.” Harry said, his words for the Potions Master, recognizing the information as a first hand account.

“Which means one of your Potions classmates, specifically Mister Malfoy, I would surmise.” Snape’s voice sounded harsh by his ear.

“A good possibility, Severus, but how is he getting out to make such a report?” Dumbledore said as he stood. “Can you stand, Harry?”

At Harry’s nod, Remus helped him up, with Snape supporting him from behind. Settling him into a chair, Remus turned and extended his hand to help Snape up from the floor. Harry leaned his head back against the chair; the pain had eased to a pounding throb, and the shakiness abating slowly.

“Harry, you said there was a spy in the Order?” Dumbledore prompted him softly, seating himself behind his desk as Fawkes flew up to his perch.

“There was another person there, also in a cloak with a hood, who told Voldemort that he had successfully penetrated the Order, told him that the meetings were being held in Sirius’ house, and about Remus being here to guard me.” Harry told him. “It was a man, I think, but with the hood up, and looking from Voldemort’s eyes, I can’t really give you any more, Professor. I’m sorry.” Harry closed his eyes, rubbing his hands over his face.

“You did fine, Harry, and this information is very useful to us.” Dumbledore said thoughtfully, a frown creasing his forehead.

Harry opened his eyes and sat watching him, flanked by Remus standing on his right and Snape on his left, both also watching the older wizard. Glancing up, Harry saw the worried expression on his godfather’s face.

“I will need time to think about this. We will need to discover who the spy is within the Order, as well as how Mister Malfoy is leaving Hogwarts to make his reports to Lord Voldemort.” Albus Dumbledore told the three a few minutes later. “You worked very well today as a team, all of you, and we have learned some vital information. I must ask you not to speak to anyone about the spies that Harry saw for the moment.” Dumbledore peered over his half-moon spectacles at them, his expression grave. “We must be very cautious, especially Remus and Severus, as it sounds as if you will have been added to the list that Harry’s name is at the top of.”

“Yes, Headmaster.” Snape answered for all three of them.