Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Chapter 9

Harry was almost late down to breakfast the next morning, he must have showered in five minutes flat. He wasn't sure how strictly enforced the 7.30 rule was. No one had checked to see if he was up this morning as Jason had on his first day here and he didn't know if that was because he had been ill or if it was because it was now his responsibility to make sure he was awake and in the kitchen on time.  He quickly slipped into a free seat next to Dominic, glad that the family wasn't waiting on him, people were still getting things prepared for breakfast. Carlotta came and sat on the other side of him and Harry gave the girl a small smile. Breakfast wasn't a completely silent meal but any silences were comfortable as everyone helped themselves to cereal and spread butter and jam on slices of toast.

Once the meal was finished Professor Snape asked Simeon, Robin, Harry, Laura and Carlotta to stay in the kitchen while Jason assisted his mother with the face washing and the teeth brushing of the younger children. The group that had remained in the kitchen made short work of the cleaning up and then gathered around one end of the table with Professor Snape, who looked at them all seriously. "I know it's only a week into the holidays," he told them, "but I want you to spend some time working on your summer homework this morning."

"Yes Papa," Simeon and Robin said, Laura nodded and Harry nodded along with her. Carlotta didn't make any response.

"Now Simeon, Robin, Laura, I know you don't know which school you're going to be attending come September but I want you to complete the homework your teachers at Beauxbatons set. I will say that it is increasingly likely that it will be Hogwarts you will be attending though but I know the Professors will accept your Beauxbatons summer work. You know what I expect when you're working, stay in your own rooms, no raised voices and call for myself or your Mama if you need us," Professor Snape addressed the three of them.

All three listening intently, and acquiesced with quiet "Yes Papa"'s although there were reactions when changing schools was mentioned. None of them actually spoke though and Harry tried to catch Robin's eye but the other boy was avoiding his gaze. He left the room with his brother and sister. Harry and Carlotta shared a look as they were left sitting at the table.

Professor Snape turned to Harry first. "In many ways you have the easier time this summer, you know what school you'll be going to, you know what your assignments are and you know what your teachers expect of you." Harry nodded to show his understanding. "I don't expect you to study all summer but I expect summer assignments to be completed to a high standard," his Potions Professor went on to explain. "So when you are studying I will expect you to stay in your room, no loud conversations, but feel free to ask either Juliana or myself for help if required or one of the other children." Harry nodded once again and his Potions teacher now turned to Carlotta. "I know you don't have any homework, Sweetie, but it won't harm you to do some reading before you do start school in September," her father told her. "And unlike your brothers and sister, you will know which school you're attending in autumn." Carlotta's eyes were wide and Harry found he had the inexplicable urge to give the younger girl a hug. Professor Snape continued talking. "You will be going to Hogwarts in September, it'll be easier for you to integrate because you'll just be another first year student." Carlotta's eyes were still wide and she was biting don on her lip. "It won't be ideal if your brothers and sister aren't going with you, but it is highly likely they will, it's just not certain yet," her father told her reassuringly.

Carlotta eventually managed a "Yes Papa."

And Professor Snape gave her a comforting smile. "Good girl," he told her. "Try not to think on it too much, but if you come with me to my study while Harry heads upstairs, I'm sure I have the Standard Book of Spells Grade One, which first year students at Hogwarts use."

Harry stood up from the table with Professor Snape and Carlotta and he felt the need to offer; "I have my copy of the Standard Book of Spells Grade One in my room, if it's easier Sir?"

"It'd be much appreciated if Carlotta could borrow it," his teacher told him.

"Sure, it's no problem," Harry replied, "it's just on my bookshelf in my room."

"I'll let you two get on with your work then," Professor Snape told them and Harry and Carlotta took it as the dismissal it was. Carlotta was silent as they made their way up the stairs and Harry desperately wanted to comfort her somehow but he didn't know how.

They entered Harry's room and he handed the book to Carlotta silently. "Thanks," she said quietly and made to leave.

"You're welcome," Harry replied, also quietly, and watched her leave. He stood in the middle of his room for a couple of moments, looking at the now closed door, before eventually turning back to the bookshelf and attempting to decide which of his summer homework assignments to complete first. He finally decided on Charms and grabbed his textbook from the shelf and placed it on his desk before digging through the desk drawer for parchment, a quill and an ink pot.

It was probably a very good thing that his desk faced the wall and he couldn't see the window at all from where he was sat because he was having trouble concentrating as it was. He could barely get Carlotta's slightly panicked and scared look out of his mind. If he had been asked to picture what he thought living with Professor Snape for the summer would be like, this would be something close to it. In a room by himself, studying. But this was also very different, he knew if he had reason to that he could leave the room and go and seek help from his Professor, his Professor's wife or one of the older boys. And he also had a feeling that someone would check to see if he was okay at some point this morning. He knew he really needed to concentrate on his Charms work, he'd learnt in the Tri-Wizard Tournament last year how useful a Charm could be. And now more than ever he needed to be prepared. But he was also distracted by the reasons behind the Snape's sending Carlotta to Hogwarts even if her older siblings didn't attend there. He had come to the conclusion that it had to be for safety reasons and Carlotta would blend in with the other new students, although the surname ‘Snape' might make her stand out. The other children would definitely stand out as transfer students, Harry had never known anyone transfer to Hogwarts. And all the safety precautions had to be because of Voldemort. Voldemort who had for some reason singled Harry out and Harry knew he would be a fool if he thought he wasn't going to have to face the Dark Wizard again. So he should really concentrate on his studies.

He did manage to focus his attention on his work eventually and had made some good headway on his Charms essay when there was a knock on his door midmorning. It was Professor Snape and he came bearing a snack. There was a glass of orange juice and a homemade jam tart. His instruction was to take a break for a couple of minutes and Harry was only too happy to oblige the man. He took his drink and his tart and went to perch on his trunk and look out the window where it was another glorious day outside. Less than a minute later and there was another knock on the door. This time it was Robin. "What company for a couple of minutes?" the other boy asked.

Harry readily agreed and Robin came and sat next to him on the trunk, he had the same snack in his hands as well. Harry had got used to the idea that he was going to be treated exactly the same as the rest of the Snape children for the summer.

Robin didn't stay too long before they both returned to their studies. Professor Snape checked up on them again not long before lunch time and this time he did make some enquiries about what Harry was working on and if he needed any help. Harry declined any help, he wasn't used to Professor Snape being helpful with school work! He was told to continue working until lunchtime, when someone would come and get him and then he could have the afternoon free to do whatever he liked (within reason).

It was Dominic who came to collect him for lunch and they also went and got Robin as well. It was the first time Harry had seen Robin's room. Once lunch was over Harry found himself outside with all the other children apart from Jason and Simeon. Robin had produced a Quaffle from somewhere and asked Harry if he wanted to practice catching. Harry was only too happy to agree despite the fact that as a Seeker he didn't need to worry about the Quaffle. The afternoon passed quickly with Harry and Robin throwing the Quaffle back and forth, Dominic, Alexander and Oliver were nearby playing with an outdoor skittles set and Laura and Carlotta were sat on the lawn watching while helping Hazel make a daisy chain.

Harry didn't know where the afternoon went and before no time had passed it seemed he found himself back in his room washing up for dinner. He wished he knew which room was Carlotta's so he could collect her on the way down, she had been very quiet that afternoon and he was still worried about her. No one had mentioned the fact she would definitely be attending Hogwarts in September and he didn't know if anyone else knew. It definitely wasn't his place to mention anything.

Once in the kitchen for dinner, he managed to grab a seat opposite Carlotta and sent her a small smile, which he was relieved to see returned. He didn't have chance to say much to her because Robin sat next to him and started asking him questions about Quidditch and Carlotta was busy talking to Laura before the meal was served. It was spinach ravioli in a tomato sauce tonight, with green salad on the side. There were bowls of cheese on the table to melt over the top and also baguettes of bread to share.

After everyone had finished, Juliana announced that no one had kitchen duty that night and that they would have dessert outside as it was a lovely evening out and they were all to meet at the patio in half an hour. Harry managed to catch Carlotta's eye and signal her to one side. "What to have a wander outside for a bit?" he asked her, slightly nervously. "I haven't seen the swimming pool yet," he told her, it half sounded like a good excuse.

"Sure," Carlotta agreed and the two of them slipped outside together.

Harry didn't really know how to start the conversation, or why he felt so responsible for Carlotta. But he did. The Snape children had accepted him with no fuss whatsoever this summer and he felt the need to repay the favour. "Hogwarts really is great," he ended up telling her. "And you'll have me there who you know at least," he told her, hoping that that was a reassuring thing to say.

"Yeah," she agreed, stopping and turning to face him. "Papa just surprised me earlier," she made excuse.

"Your parents will have good reason for their decision," Harry reasoned. He didn't know how much the Snape children knew about Voldemort and his resurrection not two months ago but he didn't want to scare Carlotta or tell he information her parents didn't want her to know.

Carlotta agreed again. "Tell me about Hogwarts," she requested.

"What would you like to know?" Harry asked, not knowing where to start.

By the time they walked back to the patio to meet up with the rest of the family for dessert, they were the last to arrive, Harry had been describing the castle, the Gryffindor corridor with its roaring fires, the enchanted ceiling in the Great Hall, Hagrid's Hut and the Forbidden Forest. He didn't actually feel like he was doing the castle justice but Carlotta was enraptured. Professor Snape studied them as they joined the rest of the family on the patio and when Carlotta slipped an arm around his waist, he automatically put his arm across her shoulders in return as Juliana started handed out bowls of Summer Pudding with whipped cream. It was Professor Snape who brought both Harry and Carlotta a bowl over and he gave Harry's shoulder a gentle squeeze.

Dusk was just starting to settle when the family eventually made their way indoors and Harry knew it must be approaching lights out for many of them and he wasn't surprised when they were all immediately sent upstairs. Carlotta had stuck by his side all evening once he had sought her out but he didn't mind. He could almost relate to how she must be feeling right now.

He was sitting crossed legged in bed with only his beside lamp on and Quidditch Through The Ages open on his knees when Professor Snape entered the room. "Thank you for this evening Harry," his teacher told him and Harry didn't have to ask what his Professor was talking about. His Professor moved his desk chair over from his desk and took a seat next to Harry's bed.

He wanted to say that no thanks were necessary, that Carlotta had helped him loads with family life at the Snape's this summer and he was just repaying the favour, and that he liked the younger girl and considered her a friend. But he couldn't put it into words, so he simply said; "it's okay." Ad then he felt obliged to explain a little bit more. "Carlotta just seemed to be nervous about going to school without Simeon, Robin and Laura so I told her a little bit about Hogwarts."

"It is still appreciated," the man told him and Harry gave him a small smile as he placed his book to one side. This was shaping up to be an awkward conversation, there was so much he wanted to say but he didn't know how to.

"I just told her you'd have your reasons for wanting her to go to Hogwarts and then talked about the castle," Harry said. "I didn't go into what those reasons might be," he hastened to add.

Professor Snape gave him a level look for a while and then seemed to choose his next words very carefully. "Jason, Simeon, Robin and Laura all know some of the particulars," he said quietly. "And they know not to mention anything in front of the younger children." Harry just nodded and allowed his Professor to keep talking. "Carlotta will have to be told some of the details before she starts school," his teacher did admit. "But I've worked hard for many years to keep my family safe and I intend to keep it that way," his teacher vowed.

"Yes Sir," Harry said quietly. He knew that keeping his family safe somehow meant that Professor Snape had kept them hidden from Voldemort, but also from Professor Dumbledore it seemed, which was fairly strange to Harry. He decided not to question for now. He was getting tired and it was definitely passed his lights out time. Indeed, Juliana put her head around the door to say goodnight.

"Goodnight Mrs Snape," Harry responded as his Potions teacher replaced his desk chair to where it should be and moved towards his wife. "Goodnight Professor," Harry tagged on as he lay down and moved to turn off his lamp.

"Goodnight Harry," his teacher replied as he gently shut the door behind him.

 

To be continued...