Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

The Dursley's Letter

Everything calmed down the next day, but that was probably due to the fact that half the Gryffindors woke up in the common room to a very stern looking Professor McGonagall standing over them.

“Mate, wake up, we’re in trouble,” Ron whispered, shaking Harry groggily. Harry turned over, and found Professor McGonagall standing in the entrance of the portrait hole, her hands on her lips and her nostrils flared.

Others were already rising up, looking around at each other, laughing at their friends’ riled hair. Then, they too noticed Professor McGonagall.

“I know it was a good Quidditch match,” McGonagall began, startling a few of the younger ones who’ve yet to notice her. “But this is ridiculous!” Her nostrils narrowed and flared all in one move. “I’m tempted just to take points off of Gryffindor because of this. Clean this up!” she ordered, before turning around and storming off.

All the Gryffindors looked at each other, shrugged and slowly they began to pick up their mess of a party. Hermione was beaming as she gathered Fred and George’s banners.

“Why are you smiling?” Ron demanded as he reluctantly began to tidy up. “Isn’t this what the House Elves are supposed to do?”

“Ronald Weasley!” Hermione gasped, turning to glare at Ron. “How dare you? Do you know what House Elves have to go through, what they do...?” Harry drew away as his two best friends started to fight. He joined Neville and Ginny on the other side of the common room, and together the three of them avoided Ron and Hermione’s corner.

Finally, after half an hour the Common Room was clean, though not as clean as it usually is when House Elves do it. After everyone had left, leaving on Hermione, Ron, Harry, and Ginny in the common room, they turned and looked at the poorly picked up room.

“Last night was quite the party,” Ron commented as they finally left through the portrait hole. It was almost lunchtime. “Well, that explains why McGonagall came.”

“Yes, I guess no Gryffindors showing up for breakfast on a Sunday would be suspicious,” Ginny giggled.

Sunday was a slow day, all the Gryffindors lounging around without a care in the world, even the fifth years gave up trying to study. Harry found himself, along with Ron and Neville, lounging around in an empty classroom. They were trying to avoid Hermione, who was insisting that they cleaned up the Common Room more than before.

Outside the snow at picked up. “Let’s go have a snowball fight,” Ron suggested and they all nodded. Harry slung his cloak, which was getting quite shabby with the passing years, and retreated outside with the others.

“I swear, we had more then half the school out there in that fight,” Ron panted as Harry and he stumbled up to the portrait of the Fat Lady. They had started, in Ron’s words, the largest snowball fight of Hogwarts history.

“Mr. Potter, come here,” Professor McGonagall ordered, appearing beside the boys like a ghost. Ron started a bit and the Fat Lady snorted. “Come,” she ordered again, and Harry giving Ron one last look, followed after her.

They walked down the corridors, passing students and professors alike, until they were in her office. “Take a seat, Mr. Potter.”

Harry sat on the edge of his chair, a bit nervous. “Now, I have two things to talk to you about,” she stated plainly. “Your Quidditch game yesterday, and this club of yours, which do not deny Mr. Potter you are continuing.” Harry nodded solemnly.

There was suddenly a knock at the door. “Enter,” McGonagall called out, shooting a look at Harry that clearly said ‘this-is-far-from-over.’ Harry sunk back into his chair somewhat.

Professor Snape entered the office with a stack of parchments. He glanced at Harry eyebrow raised and put the parchments on McGonagall’s desk. “Thank you, Severus.” Snape made to leave. “Oh, could you stay for a few minutes Professor?” Snape looked as if that was last thing he wanted to do, but did so anyway.

“Now, Mr. Potter, which topic do you think I should start on first?” McGonagall demanded. “You’re recklessness on the Quidditch pitch, or your illegal club?”

“Err—‘ow ‘bout neither.” Harry mumbled first. “Quidditch?” he suggested just as quickly.

“Now, Mr. Potter, you know I usually don’t get involved in Quidditch games seeing as it is indeed Quidditch. But I can’t overlook such a dangerous stunt.” McGonagall commented darkly. “Have you ever practiced that move?”

“Err—which answer would make you feel better?” Harry asked and McGonagall’s eyes flared. Beside him Snape shifted his weight obviously bored and a bit annoyed.

“Mr. Potter, if you ever pull a stunt like that again...I’ll reinstate your Quidditch ban.” McGonagall snapped and Harry started.

“What?” he gasped. “Wasn’t like I got hurt or anything! Plus, I couldn’t catch the snitch from that angle so I had to go at it differently.”

“Next time, Mr. Potter, figure out another way in which not so many dangers are present.” Harry shrugged hopeless and McGonagall’s eyes flashed. She paused, as if expecting Harry to say something, and Harry was on the verge of pulling out Ron’s old ‘excuse’ but decided against it. “Now, as to your club.”

“We started it last year, because of Umbridge, and the others just wanted to continue it this year.” Harry informed warily.

“Yes, yes, I heard all about the club.” At Harry’s wondering stare. “Black, Mr. Potter, Black. All the Order members knew, and he told me.”

“Oh, that would make sense,” Harry mumbled, sitting farther back in his chair.

“Why didn’t you tell anyone you were going to continue it this year?” McGonagall demanded.

“Err—that was their choice, and I just went along with it.” Harry informed, shrugging half heartedly.

“Well, I don’t want to have you stop the club, but I insist that it was observed under the eye of a Professor.” McGonagall declared. “Maybe you should ask Professor Gary.”

“What?” Harry sputtered. “Ma’am, half the reason we continued the DA this year is because of ‘m. He, I’m sorry, doesn’t have a clue of what he’s doing...ma’am.” Harry informed hurriedly. McGonagall’s eyes narrowed darkly.

“He’s right,” Snape suddenly informed. “I’ve only filled in twice for him, and it’s apparent that he’s not doing too great with his teaching.”

“When’s your next meeting, Mr. Potter?” McGonagall demanded.

“Err--,” Harry muttered, reaching into his pocket and pulling out the coin which Hermione had charmed last year. He turned it a bit and stared. “Monday. Hmm...we’ll have to change that, Ernie and Justin have detention.” Forgetting for a moment that he was in the presence of teachers, he tapped his wand and changed the day.

“It’ll be Wednesday,” Harry finally informed, looking up to see both McGonagall and Snape staring at him. “Hermione made it, last year when we had to keep the club hidden and random.”

“Sometimes Miss Ganger never ceases to amaze me,” McGonagall muttered. “Well, Mr. Potter, you’ll need a Professor to observe you...maybe Professor Vector?”

“Really?” Harry asked before he could stop himself.

“What does DA stand for anyway Mr. Potter?” McGonagall demanded.

“Ginny’s idea...Dumbledore’s Army...we figured we’d do it to spite Umbridge, Fudge, anyone afraid of that sort of thing.” McGonagall’s lips curled up in a faint smile.

“Well, Mr. Potter, tell us the location of your club and we’ll have a professor there to watch you.” McGonagall ordered and Harry shrugged.

“Room of Requirement,” Harry informed.

“Alright, Mr. Potter dismissed.” McGonagall ordered and Harry stood up.

Harry was back in the Common Room before anyone knew what was going on. He dashed over to Hermione and Ron and told them the whole story before they could even ask.

“Great!” Ron cursed. “Now we’re going to be observed. We’ll never get anything done!”

“Actually, if it’s Gary, we might get away with anything,” Hermione commented causing Ron and Harry to snort.

“Well, it’s been an odd weekend,” Harry sighed as he leaned back in the chair.

888

On Tuesday Harry found himself in Remedial Potions with Snape. At first, Harry was a bit worried about going because of the Slytherin vs. Gryffindor Quidditch game, but Snape showed no signs of caring about it.

The usual silence was between them; Harry’s mind half on the potion, the other half on the DA meeting tomorrow.

“Good work, Potter,” Snape finally commented as Harry started to finish his potion. Just then, however, there was a knock at the door and Dumbledore walked in.

“Aha...Harry, just who I was looking for,” Dumbledore smiled. “You’ve got a letter? What are you doing down here?” he asked as he handed a letter to Harry. He was glancing between him and Snape.

“Remedial Potions,” Harry commented as he stared at the letter.

“I would say, Mr. Potter, that now you’re just doing extra potions.” Snape’s snide remark cut through him, but for once Harry didn’t react.

“The Dursleys?” Harry asked in shock, glancing up at Dumbledore, who just nodded. “H-how?”

“Owl, Mr. Potter, as must letters are delivered.” Snape remarked coldly.

“Yeah, but from the Dursleys?” Harry muttered before leaning against a desk and ripping open the letter. Dumbledore leaned over and engaged Snape in some sort of conversation.

Harry Potter:

It’s come to our attention that the madman who was the reason you had to stay at our house is finally dead. Therefore, the blood protection which your Aunt had over you no longer matters. Seeing as you no longer need that protection, we are writing you to inform you that you never have to return Number Four Privet Drive. Actually, do not return to Number Four Privet Drive.

Vernon Dursley

Harry gaped at the letter. Two feeling ran through him. Relief...relief in never having to return to the place he despised so much. Then, another feeling ran through him. An odd feeling of loneliness.

“What is it, Harry?” Dumbledore asked.

“Here, I don’t want it...I—I’ve gotta go.” Harry shoved the letter into Dumbledore’s hands and left hurriedly. But he didn’t get far, before he turned down a deserted corridor and leaned against the wall.

He had never liked the Dursleys, he loathed going home for summer vacation, but it still struck him hard, being kicked out. He might not have like the place, but up until Hogwarts it had been the place he had called home. The Dursleys to a point were the only true family he had.

A wave of loneliness flooded over him. It was like the boggart all over again. He turned around and pressed his forehead into the stone wall. It was a sickening feeling and he didn’t even want to feel it just because of the Dursleys, but he was.

Tears leaked down his cheeks as he gritted his teeth. He hated that feeling, no wonder he feared it so much.

“Mr. Potter!” A sharp voice cut through him.

‘Great!’ Harry thought. ‘Every time I find myself crying, Snape just has to be there.’ Hurriedly, Harry wiped his eyes and turned around. Snape was standing at the end of the corridor, his face impassive.

“Yes, sir?” Harry asked.

“Are you lost?” Professor Snape demanded his voice unreadable.

“No,” Harry mumbled. Harry grabbed his bag and made to walk by Snape, back to Gryffindor Tower.

“Does it matter that much, Mr. Potter?” Snape demanded. “You didn’t seem to like them.”

Harry paused and sighed. “I—I didn’t...but I dunno how to explain it. They were my only family, in a way.” Harry sighed, and leaned against the wall, his back to Snape. “I knew they wanted to kick me out. I think since I got the Hogwarts letter...but more than likely before Third Year when I blew up Aunt Marge. I don’t know why I care so much that they kicked me out; I mean all they ever did was insult me...but...” Harry trailed off.

“You blew up your Aunt?” Snape asked his voice slightly amused.

“Err—I lost control because she was insulting mum and dad. Mostly mum.” Harry gritted his teeth at the thought. “Everyone talks about my dad, tells me everything they knew about him. But no one ever speaks of mum. Aunt Petunia was mum’s sister, and she just let Aunt Marge...she’s not even my aunt...insult her. I got angry. I figured since Aunt Petunia was mum’s sister, even if she didn’t like her, she wouldn’t allow mum to be insulted.” Harry paused, and looked around as he realized he was rambling.

“I think that’s why I care so much, that I was kicked out. They might’ve treated me like scum, but it was the closest I ever got to mum...or any family. It makes me feel weird...lonely.” Harry shrugged. “Doesn’t matter, really.” And with that Harry walked off, without a glance at Snape.

In the Common Room, he retreated to a corner and began to idly flip through a spell book. Ron and Hermione were off on Prefect duty, while Neville was still with Madame Pomfrey and Ginny in the library. This routine was becoming a common occurrence.

After a while, Harry couldn’t take it anymore and he retreated upstairs to go to bed. But he only laid there for hours on end. He hadn’t fallen asleep by the time he heard the others all come up to bed. Not even by the time Ron was snoring.

A clock chimed midnight by time Harry fell asleep and he woke up at seven. Sighing, he pulled himself through this usual routine of getting dressed and washing. By time he was finished it was seven thirty.

The Great Hall was empty, as it had been last time. Sighing, Harry grabbed some toast and started to butter it. However, he was only halfway through that when someone entered and sat down before him.

Glancing up he found it was Snape.

“Morning,” they said in unison before falling into a comfortable silence.

It went in much the same way as it had the first time, and when the voices of the students began to arise, Snape stood up and left. After he was gone, Harry felt that he wasn’t quite as lonely as before. Harry just couldn’t explain it.

888

“Do we have to wait for the Professor?” Ron asked as all the DA members sat around wondering.

“McGonagall never said anything along those lines,” Harry commented.

“Alright then, let’s begin,” Hermione jumped to her feet. The others followed her example. “Break up into two groups,” she ordered and instantly the members divided. Harry, Ron, and Ginny took one half while Hermione, Neville and Luna took the other half.

It was a slow practice. Ron and Ernie kept getting into fights while Cho kept losing control of the spell. It turned out Ron and Neville only had a sketchy idea of the spell which annoyed Ernie.

“They’re going to kill each other!” Harry commented to Hermione, as he backed up to the door of the room, avoiding a spell from Cho. “Cho, get a stronger grip!” Harry called out, just as the door swung open and smacked him hard in the back of the head. He stumbled forward and crashed into a cushion.

Instantly everyone started to laugh causing Harry to flush.

“Door there, Harry,” Ron laughed as they all turned to see who opened the door. Standing in the doorway was Professor Snape, his face slightly amused and his eyes on Harry, who hadn’t gotten up yet.

“Professor?” Hermione began.

“I’m here to observe you,” Snape declared and the others nodded in understanding. “Continue,” he said with a wave of his hand. Jumping up, Harry walked back over to his group. Ernie was grinning like a fool and Harry glanced around to see Ron growling.

“Ginny,” Harry called out. She looked over, eyed Ernie and Ron, and nodded. Harry switched with Ernie and started to work with Justin. After a minute he could hear Ginny shouting, much like the twins, at Ron and Ernie.

“That’s cruel, Harry,” Hannah laughed as he turned to help her.

“I’ll watch my back,” Harry informed, glancing sideways and at Ernie and Ron, who seemed to be plotting.

Snape didn’t comment, he just stood there and watched.

By the end of the lesson, all the members had learned the spell and could perform it without a flaw. Laughing and talking, the members began to file out of the room leaving Harry, Ron, Hermione, Ginny and Neville in there. Luna had wandered off somewhere.

Ginny and Ron kept glaring at each other as they all began to pick out books and scan them. For a minute all of them forgot Snape was still in there.

“Sometimes you forget there brother and sister, other times you wonder how the hell the live with each other.” Harry commented to Hermione as she poured over a book. “What are you doing? We’ve already got next lesson figured out.”

“I know...I’m just trying to figure it out a bit more.” Hermione commented.

“Ok,” Harry shrugged and turned around to see Snape still standing there. “Are you our watcher, sir?”

“Only on certain days.” Snape snarled. He didn’t seem pleased about that. “Can I have two of those coins? One for me and the other for McGonagall.” Hermione nodded, reached into her bag and pulled out two spare coins. Snape took them silently and left.

“Harry,” Ginny began. “Did Dumbledore ever find you? He was looking for you yesterday.” Harry nodded mutely.

“He was giving me a letter...from the Dursleys.” At this everyone looked up, interested. Sighing, Harry told them what was in the letter and instantly Ron jumped to his feet.

“Those damn muggles!” Ron hissed.

“Are you okay Harry?” Hermione asked and Harry shrugged. “I’m sorry.”

“Why?” Ron asked in disbelief. “They’re just stupid muggles, I’d be glad to get away from them.”

“I am,” Harry informed, smiling halfheartedly at Ron. Ginny stood up and made to leave.

“I’ve got to go, see you.” Ginny said, casting a sympathetic look at Harry.

“Bye,” Hermione called out. She looked back at Harry, but it was obvious that Harry didn’t want to talk on about it. So, they just spent an hour deciding how to go about their next DA meeting.

“Do you think...,” Neville began slowly after a while. “You know how they said Harry was safe...the muggles I mean. Voldemort gone and all...what about the other Death Eaters?”

Everyone froze, they had never thought about that.

“We shouldn’t worry about that...I’m sure the Order’s got that under control.” Hermione declared and the others nodded in agreement. “Dumbledore would tell us if we were in trouble, I’m sure of it.”

Harry watched quietly. He couldn’t deny that he hadn’t thought about the remaining Death Eaters, but from what he knew the ones that were free were the weak ones. They really didn’t need to worry. Just be aware.

Chapter End Notes:
THANKS FOR THE REVIEWS. I LOVE THEM.