Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Jolts, Pranks, and Love

The rumor as to why there were a series of pranks going off was spread quickly. Harry couldn’t walk through the corridors without a whisper about the pranks being pulled in memory of Umbridge. Though to his pleasure no one knew who were pulling the pranks.

Yet, right now, as Harry walked through the corridors toward the fourth floor corridor he had on his mind something that no one, but the twins, would’ve ever dream of doing. He was going to ask Peeves for help.

Ginny had thought he was mental, asking Peeves for help with their scheming, but they were the only ones who knew what was going on and they needed a bit of help. Ron and Hermione would love to help but if they were suspicious then everyone would figure out who did it rather quickly.

“Ohh....look it’s ickle Potty.” Peeves cried out as he swooped over Harry’s head in a twirling circle. “What’s Potty Wotty doing up here when dinner’s down there.” He cackled darkly as he swooped down in a gesture to the Great Hall. Harry ducked to avoid the cackling poltergeist.

“Peeves...” Harry snarled as Peeves took to chanting his favorite Potty Wotty Dotty theme song. Peeves danced a one man tango over his head as he chanted. “Peeves!” Harry shouted loudly but Peeves didn’t stop swooping around. “I need your help!”

“What?” Peeves cackled. “Potty Dotty needs some help. With what? Charms?” Peeves cackled pulling back his arms darkly.

“No! With the pranks!” Harry snarled, gripping his wand tightly. Peeves stopped in mid-swing and looked between his legs at Harry darkly.

“So, it’s Potty who’s doing the tricks around the school.” Peeves cackled darkly, swooping to and fro again.

“Yes, and I need your help with some of them...if you’re willing to.” Harry waved his hand offhandedly. Peeves had frozen again, his back to Harry, but Harry could tell he had struck a cord.

“What is it you want my help with?” Peeves asked in an oily voice.

“Scheming and pulling jokes,” Harry said with a mischievous smile. “It’s a week in honor of Umbridge, so we’re trying to make a fool of anything Umbridge happened to do. Are you in?” Peeves had the oddest look that Harry had never seen. It was different from wicked and mischievous, something odd.

“Alright, Potty, I’m in.” With that Peeves swooped forward, grabbed Harry’s arm and dragged him into a small empty classroom. “Let’s get a-scheming.” Harry grinned. Well that wasn’t as hard as he thought it would be.

888

Harry found himself slipping into a seat next to Ron and Ginny for dinner almost an hour later. Ginny shot him a look that clearly said, ‘did you do it?’ and with the vaguest of nods Harry said yes. Ginny’s face twisted in a look of glee and a bit of disbelief.

“I wonder what prank will happen next?” Ron mumbled, glancing around curiously. Harry and Ginny had decided to spread their pranks out erratically and play them on everyone.

“Well, if we think about it,” Hermione began as their end of the table looked over at them. “All that’s happening is in honor of Umbridge, so everything she did and said will be made fun of.”

“Yes, and so far we’ve had the ‘ahem’ thing, which was hilarious.” Dean commented.

“Also, a few other things, but seeing as it’s only Tuesday who knows what’ll come up.” Lavender commented a bit distastefully. Harry and Ginny didn’t dare glance at each other, knowing all too well that they were burst out laughing. All around the hall everyone was talking about the same thing.

Finally, Harry decided he was finished and got up. “We’ll meet you in the Common Room.” Hermione muttered and Harry nodded. He shared one quick glance with Ginny and walked out of the hall.

He was at his spot by the lake when Ginny found him. “I can’t believe you got Peeves to help us.” Ginny said in disbelief.

“I know,” Harry muttered. “But after I told him we needed his help with the jokes he was more than glad to. Must be a poltergeist thing.” Harry grinned sheepishly. “He’ll help us with the prank on Friday and the small ones all week.”

“Has Snape done anything about Ron and Hermione?” Ginny asked. “No, wait a minute, I know he hasn’t. But when will he?”

“Soon I hope,” Harry muttered. “I’ve got dance lessons; meet me in the Common Room around eleven.” Ginny nodded with a grin and with Harry they walked back inside. Harry had started calling the chess lessons dance lessons because of the inside joke between him and Ginny.

They split up in the Entrance Hall as Ginny went to the library and Harry down into the dungeons.

Snape already had the chess set put up and he was looking idly over an essay from a first year class. “You’re on time,” he commented snidely and Harry rolled his eyes. He sat down opposite Snape and waited while he finished grading the essay, which wasn’t long.

“You and Miss Weasley sure are erratic about your pranks.” Snape commented as he moved his knight.

“Don’t want to be figured out. We’ve decided not to be acknowledge for our tricks.” Harry shrugged as he moved his pawn. “We’ve even got Peeves helping us.” Snape looked up horrified.

“You’ve got Peeves to listen long enough and then agree to help you?” Snape asked in shock.

“Yeah, weird huh?” Harry asked and Snape nodded mutely. The rest of the time passed in silence until Harry remembered something. “Sir? Do you remember how over Christmas break I had to look at those pictures for Number Nine Privet Drive?”

“Yes,” Snape said slowly. “Don’t move that...look at my knight. What about it?”

“Well, was he there?” Snape looked up and studied Harry closely. Harry looked back with a bit of grim determination to know.

“He was there,” Snape finally said in an odd voice that caught Harry’s interest. “But he was already dead.”

“What?” Harry gasped. “How?”

“It wasn’t a forced entry...actually he was sitting with some scotch in his hand in an armchair and across from him there was an abandoned mug of brandy.” Snape informed coldly.

“So...they were friends?” Harry asked and Snape corked an eyebrow.

“Or brothers,” Snape commented impassively. “I probably wasn’t supposed to tell you this...but you have a tendency to get into a lot of trouble, so it’s best you’re on your guard.” Harry looked up a bit startled. “Potter, if you can avoid getting into any more trouble with some murderous fiend for the rest of the year, I’ll excuse your potions class from finals.”

Harry gaped. “Seriously?” he asked and Snape nodded.

“But you have to Potter, no exceptions.” Snape snarled.

“Yes, well Voldemort’s gone, who else can cause me problems?” Harry muttered and Snape raised an eyebrow.

“I do believe your third year fiasco had nothing to do with Voldemort...you know what I mean.” Snape snarled. “Though you do tend to display Slytherin traits, you’re overall Gryffindor.”

“Actually, the sorting hat wanted to put me in Slytherin, but I had met Malfoy before that and it...it didn’t seem too pleasing.” Snape raised an eyebrow but didn’t comment. “You know, all the ones involved in Voldemort’s defeat weren’t meant for the house we were put in.”

“Even the Weasleys?” Snape asked ironically.

“Ginny was to be put in Slytherin also, Ron in Hufflepuff, Hermione in Ravenclaw, Neville in Hufflepuff, Luna in Gryffindor...kind of makes sense though. Hermione’s smart, Ginny had Voldemort possessing her and she’s quite cunning, Ron can be very loyal and so can Neville. Luna’s a bit dazed but pretty brave.”

“Well, I must admit, that’s a bit of a relief. I just thought the Sorting Hat was losing its touch.” Snape commented dryly and Harry pulled a face.

“Alright, no final for Potions,” Harry commented and Snape snorted.

“That’s if you can pull it off.” Snape snarled and they lapsed into silence. Harry’s head on the Jones man.

Finally, Harry left the chess lesson, having come close to winning for once, and went up to the common room.

888

Harry crept out of the dormitory with his invisibility cloak shoved under one arm and down into the Common Room. Ginny was lingering in the shadows. No one was up.

“C’mon,” Harry whispered as he slung the cloak of him and Ginny. The Fat Lady snorted in her sleep as they crept out.

“Peeves helping us with this one?” Ginny asked.

“No,” Harry replied quietly.

“Still hard to believe,” Ginny muttered and Harry nodded. Indeed it was hard to believe that Peeves had agreed to help them.

Finally, they reached the Great Hall. They were creeping quietly, especially since Flitch seemed to be on the prowl. Once in the Great Hall, Ginny pulled out a bag of Fred and George’s pranks.

“This’ll work,” Harry muttered, pulling out a certain potion. “Still can’t believe they figured how out to do this one.”

“Sometimes they’re brilliant.” Ginny muttered and dropping the cloak on the Gryffindor house table the two of them set to work. Harry was halfway down the Hufflepuff table with the potion, which he was carefully pouring when suddenly a jolt ran through his body. Ginny tensed and yelped too.

They stared at each other for a minute before realizing what the jolt meant. Snape’s necklaces. They had forgotten about the necklaces since they Snape had yet to use them and they were quite comfortable around their neck.

“Damn,” Ginny mumbled as he rubbed her neck. “Why’d he do that?” Harry shrugged and went back to pouring the potion.

“Must be a warning, it’s almost midnight.” Harry muttered and Ginny nodded. The potion made a hissing noise as it spread out over the tables just loudly enough they couldn’t hear much else.

Just as Harry finished with the Hufflepuff table Harry suddenly felt another jolt that caused him to yelp loudly. Ginny leaped about a foot into the air.

“Why does he keep doing that?” Ginny snarled darkly as she rubbed her neck. Harry shook his head, suddenly regretting that he allowed Snape to put the necklaces on them.

Then he heard it.

A thick grumbling roll of curses and insults and coming straight for them. He dived forward, grabbed hold of Ginny and with a shove threw them both into the shadows. And not a second too late because Flitch came bursting into the Great Hall snarling and grumbling.

“Students out of bed,” Flitch muttered. “They’ll pay this time. Ruddy kids and their pranks. This time I’ll hang ‘em up by their toes and they can’t do a thing about it.” He was looking around with a dark look, almost a deranged one that sent a shiver down Harry’s spine.

Flitch then began a search of the Great Hall, looking in almost every corner and shadow for the students. The whole time he grumbled about hanging them by their ears and toes. He seemed so serious; Harry found himself pushed farther and farther back into the shadows, Ginny behind him.

Flitch was a few inches from Harry and Ginny’s hiding place when suddenly the greasy caretaker whipped around.

“Ohh...look it’s filthy Flincher.” Peeves cackled as he dived through the Great Hall as he carried a knight’s helmet. He swooped out the Great Hall doors and with Flitch flying after him.

“That was close,” Ginny shuddered and Harry nodded.

“Peeves helped us,” Harry whispered in disbelief.

“I know, so did Snape. The jolts were a warning of Flitch.” Ginny whispered in about as much disbelief as Harry. The two most unlikely people helping them was something hard to believe.

“C’mon, let’s finish up with this...” Harry muttered.

“He’s deranged? Isn’t he?” Ginny whispered after a pause. She was working on the Slytherin house table.

“Flitch? Yes, and I think after getting what he wanted all his life from Umbridge and then having it taken away made him mad. And that’s in two different ways.” Ginny grinned sheepishly.

“Maybe he won’t be back next year,” Ginny said hopefully.

“Dear Merlin I hope so,” Harry muttered. They worked in silence after that. More aware and using the potion a bit more quietly. Yet, Flitch didn’t come back which was a relief to them.

Midnight had already come and gone and both he and Ginny were still working. They hadn’t realized that the house tables were so long. Finally, around one in the morning they were finished.

“That was a bit more difficult then I thought it would be,” Ginny commented as she sat down on the Gryffindor table. “When will it start working?”

“Breakfast, I think. I’m having Peeves swoop over the Slytherin and Ravenclaw house table, chanting songs but muttering the signaling the password. We’ll handle the Hufflepuff and Gryffindor tables.” Harry yawned.

“You invited Peeves into the Great Hall?” Ginny asked aghast. Harry shrugged. It was a well-known rule that Peeves could only enter the Great Hall if invited and no one did that.

“We made a deal with the pranks,” Harry shrugged helplessly. He sure hoped he didn’t do anything stupid by allowing Peeves into the Great Hall.

Suddenly, the third jolt for that night sent both of them reeling.

“Sure,” Ginny hissed as she glanced around warily. “The one night he decides to use the bloody necklaces he just has to do it a million times. What’s he on about now?”

“I think he wants us to go back to bed,” Harry yawned as he fiddled with the necklace. “How he knows we’re still up is the problem. There must be a locator charm or something on it.”

Ginny shook her head. “We were mental to agree.” Ginny yawned and together, this time with the cloak, they headed back to the Tower.

888

The next morning when Peeves came swooping into the Great Hall, it was a complete frenzy. He dived to and for, chanting and shouting, grabbing food and throwing it. Professors were hollering for him to get out and demanding who invited him in, while Harry crept over to the Hufflepuff table and said the key word.

Ginny eyed him slightly and Harry gave the slightest of nods. He glanced up and found Snape eyeing him too.

“Peeves! Stop this instantly!” McGonagall shouted and no sooner had she shouted it then there was a pop and all of the tables began to crump like a frog does. The potion flashed and carved the word ‘crummp’ all the way across it.

There was another pop and a banner of Umbridge kissing a frog appeared. Everyone howled in laughter and Peeves swooped down, and landed square on Harry’s head, sitting cross legged in his unruly hair.

Everyone was laughing too hard to notice this and Harry didn’t mind because while he and Peeves had been scheming Peeves had sat this way the whole time. Harry got use to it after a minute or so.

“Good one, Potty,” Peeves cackled in Harry’s ear.

“Thanks for drawing Flitch away last night,” Harry muttered back and Peeves chuckled. Yet, the poltergeist didn’t respond.

“Alright, everyone calm down!” McGonagall shouted but she was having a hard time containing her own laughter. After about a good ten minutes of the frog shouting tables, it all died down. Everyone was starting to calm down and they were starting to notice Peeves in Harry’s hair.

“Peeves, out of the Great Hall...now!” McGonagall ordered loudly. “And get out of Mr. Potter’s hair!”

“Oh, but I love this bird-like nest that people claim is Potty’s hair!” Peeves cackled as Harry glowered. Everyone started to laugh, even Snape.

“Out,” McGonagall growled and Peeves jumped up laughing and swooped out of the Great Hall. After that everyone calmed down enough to finish with their food and head to class. Harry just barely caught Ginny as they passed by the Staff table.

“He complimented our joke,” he whispered and Ginny giggled.

“Who would’ve thought,” Ginny giggled as she ran off to Charms and Harry went of to Care of Magical Creatures. Snape hadn’t been lying, the book and his comments turned out to be quite helpful. Actually, very helpful.

As Harry joined Ron and Hermione as they walked outside, he found them talking about the prank.

“Brilliant,” Ron laughed. “I need to write and tell the twins about this. They might be out of a place in history if this keeps up.” Harry just chuckled. He could see the twins comment to Ron’s letter. This was starting to turn into a good week.

888

Snape waited until last minute to get Hermione and Ron together and Harry wasn’t even there. Professor Gary had given him detention so he was stuck with the confused old man while Ron and Hermione truly realized they loved each other. He even missed the final joke which Ginny, Harry and Peeves had spent hours planning.

He was sorting out books, shivering from the unnaturally cold room and listening intently for the joke to be played. Sure enough, there was a large bang and a dozen frogs; all captured or stolen by Peeves and fed Head- Changing-Not-For-The-Good-Way treats were dropped all over the Great Hall.

Soon the castle was overrun by frogs with Umbridge’s head on them. The students took pleasure in blasting the poor frogs and laughing heartily. It was the final joke. What Harry didn’t realize that was somewhere along the blasting of Umbridge frogs, Hermione and Ron started to fight and then Snape stepped in.

“Here, Mr. Potter, drink this,” Professor Gary said, stepping over and handing him a cup of what appeared to be hot coco. When he stepped closer to Harry, Harry suddenly felt an odd chill run over him. Why was this room so cold? Harry thought.

“Err-thanks,” Harry mumbled as Gary looked a bit off to the left, nodded, and retreated back to his stack of parchments. Harry drank the hot coca fast and was instantly relieved to find himself warming up.

After a while, Gary looked up and dismissed Harry.

Harry took off running quickly, and slid into the Great Hall in time to see the Umbridge frogs. Peeves cackled and swooped down so that he was in Harry’s hair again.

“Well, what do you think Potter?” he asked and Harry laughed.

“Brilliant,” Harry commented and grinned a bit more when he realized Peeves wasn’t calling him Potty. Maybe he earned some respect from the poltergeist for asking him to join in on the pranks.

“I know,” Peeves cackled and swooped off to start a chanting song about some second year. Glancing around Harry found Hermione and Ron, holding hands and walking around. He spied Ginny grinning stupidly at them and Snape sulking off.

“What happened?” Harry asked Ginny.

“Snape more or less insulted them about their love. Said he didn’t want their love fights getting in his way while he was trying to walk and Ron demanded to know what he meant. And Snape, in probably the most embarrassing way, pointed it all out. Yet, Ron and Hermione realized it and Ron asked Hermione to the dance.” She giggled. “I guess we forgot to set ground rules for Snape getting them together. Oh well, it worked.”

“Yeah, it did.” Harry smiled as Ron and Hermione blasted a frog together. Ron glanced back at Harry and flushed red when he saw that he was watching.

“Mind you, Ron blasted a frog at Snape for making it so embarrassing and got detention.” Ginny giggled as Ron and Hermione trooped over. “See you.”

“Hey, mate,” Ron said sheepishly as Ginny scampered off after a frog.

“It’s about time you two got together!” Harry more or less shouted. “Took you long enough.”

“You don’t mind?” Hermione asked and Harry shook his head vigorously.

“No, I’ve been waiting for this to happen for quite some time. Now, come on, let’s blast some Umbridge frogs.” Harry laughed as Hermione and Ron looked relieved. He guessed that they were worried about how he would react.

“Alright,” Ron laughed and they set to blasting frogs. McGonagall could be seen a few feet away, also blasting frogs but claiming that they were in her way.

“She said that about one that was on the other side of the hall,” Ginny whispered as she came back. “By the way, I’ve got to warn you...Fred and George have something special planned for you because you got Peeves to help. They claim that was brilliant and should’ve thought of that themselves.”

“Oh great,” Harry mumbled and Ginny grinned darkly.

“At least we get to take off the necklaces tomorrow. I did a count, he zapped us around ten times this whole week.” She rolled her eyes and Harry chuckled.

“Yeah, warning us from obvious danger and reminding us to get to bed. Let’s see him tomorrow, to get him to take it off.” Ginny nodded and blasted a frog.

Chapter End Notes:
Well...what do you think? Good or bad? Thanks sooo much for the reviews. I can’t believe so many people like it. Over a hundred everywhere...that’s a lot. Especially since this is my first long Fanfic. Anyway, thank-you so much. And if you notice similarities between pieces, I’m sorry, I’m seriously not copying...just doing my own thing. I swear. Thanks soo much for the reviews. I love them. And I’m glad you like the Snape and Harry relationship and that they’re staying in character...as close as I can get them that is. Hehe. Thanks.