Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

He said ‘Yes’

“Did you know, Harry, I use to play seeker myself.” Dumbledore chuckled as Harry sat on the edge of an armchair.

“Truly?” Harry asked wonderingly. There were almost two hours before the Quidditch final against for once Ravenclaw not Slytherin. Harry was nervous, real nervous. Ravenclaw was turning out to be a brute of a team and Cho was on a drive to beat Harry because he turned her down for the dance.

“Yes,” Dumbledore smiled gravely. “I miss grabbing hold of the snitch, its wings fluttering inside my hand. Sometimes old age is a weary thing.” Dumbledore sighed a bit but turned to face Harry again. “Harry, I just called you up to say that I am very proud of you.”

“Err-thanks,” Harry muttered awkwardly. He could feel his face flushing a bit. “Sir?” Harry began. “Why does Peeves owe me?”

“Aww...I knew you’d ask that soon. You see Harry, Peeves doesn’t in truth owe you at all. He’s quite the liar and didn’t want you to know the truth.” Harry was intrigued and was leaning forward in his seat.

“What’s the truth?” Dumbledore’s eyes gleamed mischievously and his smile cricked a bit.

“He has the deepest respect for you,” Dumbledore chuckled at Harry’s stunned face. “No one has ever asked Peeves for help, no one has ever dared to ask Peeves for help. You’ve earned quite a lot of respect from the poltergeist. Also, have to ever noticed that he seems to follow you around, or at least appear at the most inopportune times?”

“Yeah, sort of, but Professor Snape does that too. They’re like pop-up books from hell.” Harry said with a shrug and Dumbledore chuckled as he sat back down at his desk.

“Peeves followed you, and he followed the twins because he admired their pranks, and he admires your bravery and for the most part your tricks too. As for Professor Snape, well I just think he knows you all too well. Pop-up books from hell, hmm, possibly.” Dumbledore was chuckling.

Harry smiled a bit, a little surprised to hear that. But thinking about it, it did make sense. Scanning Dumbledore’s desk he found to his surprise the picture of them all in their Halloween costumes. Harry watched as Ron jumped on top of Neville and Harry grabbed Ginny to swing her around. They were all jumping, waving and laughing.

Dumbledore must’ve followed his eyes because he smiled merrily. “Yes, my Colin Creevy moment, I’m quite proud of the picture.” He chuckled and Harry watched as Ron disentangled himself from Neville and swooped Hermione into his arms. “They truly make a good couple.”

“Yes, they’ve liked each other for a long time, it’s about time they realized it.” Harry smiled slightly, watching his own self hugging Ginny in a laughing manner.

“Harry at the end-of-the-year speech I’m going to talk about you.” Dumbledore informed and Harry blanched.

“Oh, please don’t.” Harry pleaded.

“No, Harry I am, truly. I felt you ought to have prior warning, and I would like it if you happened to come this year.” His eyes twinkled and Harry sighed. That was the last thing he wanted, Dumbledore talking about him. “Please, Harry.”

“Alright,” Harry mumbled before standing up. “I guess I’ve got to go, Quidditch, you know.”

“Aww...how I miss Quidditch. Go on, Harry, I really just wanted to say how proud I was of you.” Harry beamed slightly, slipped off his chair and left.

888

Everything passed in a blur after that. Fifth year O.W.L.S were the next two weeks, so all fifth years were stressed to the breaking point. Harry had never realized that finals weren’t until after the O.W.L.S but then again, he rarely paid that much attention.

Gryffindor just barely won the Quidditch match, Ravenclaw turned out to be a brutal team. Harry had the suspicion that they were just Slytherins disguised as Ravenclaws. Yet, Gryffindor won in the end, and Harry before Madam Hooch knew what had happened, had swiped the snitch and left the field.

Later that week, after doing a few touch up jobs to the box in which he had carved Fawkes, Harry put the snitch in it and sent it to Dumbledore, saying that he didn’t have to forget the feeling of catching a snitch anymore.

Harry’s Arithmancy O.W.L wasn’t as hard as he thought it would be, but then again he had Hermione, Vector, and McGonagall quizzing him on it everywhere he went. So, in the end, he managed a rather descent job. Harry also took to finding Ginny after each test and relieving her stress by a killer game of Rock, Paper, Scissors.

Every time they got into one of these games, Snape just suddenly appeared, making Harry think more and more about him being a pop-up book from hell. He never commented on the game, but he always appeared right when the game was getting particularly violent, and his appearance always ended the game.

The dance was the weekend before the rest of the school’s finals, much to the annoyance of teachers who claimed that the students wouldn’t study, but it went on anyway. Hermione and Ginny were beautiful as they entered the Common Room and Ron had knew dress robes that Fred and George bought him so he didn’t look bad at all.

The dance was fun, Colin Creevy turned out to the picture taker of everyone, and in the end, he had quite a few of Ginny and Harry slow dancing. On Harry’s assistance, Colin took a picture of McGonagall, who grabbed Snape when everyone was going from one partner to another, and was doing the foxtrot with him again. This time Harry had a plan, the perfect prank.

Harry had fun at this dance, he didn’t go running off and spent most of his time talking and dancing. Ginny was telling Harry about how she was going with Charlie over the summer to help with some dragons, to get a feel. It turned out that some Quidditch recruiters where in the stands of the Final and they found Ron interesting. So, Ron was going around several places over the summer for a few trial runs. He was absolutely ecstatic.

Harry was offered some trail runs too, but he decided he didn’t want to be a professional Quidditch player. The most Harry was worried about was when Ginny went with Charlie, Ron went with his mom to the trails, Bill and Mr. Weasley were in Egypt until the middle of July, the twins were at their shop, Percy was still at work, it would mean Harry really had no place to stay.

Ron had offered to take Harry with him on the trails, but Harry knew he’d just be too nervous with Harry around. Harry decided awhile ago that he wanted nothing to do with dragons, after Norbert, Hagrid’s dragon from first year. But he couldn’t just stay at the Burrow by himself. It wasn’t his home.

But he never brought this up, knowing how stressed Ginny and Ron would get. Harry already knew Mrs. Weasley was stressing over it, he severely wished she wasn’t. He was more or less sure that he could stay a few weeks at the Leaky Cauldron and be fine.

Yet, at the dance, all Harry’s worries were washed away. Though he did find himself utterly horrified when he changed partners in a swinging dance from Hermione, to Snape. Snape didn’t look at all pleased to be in this dance, but Dumbledore had dragged him into it. And at the current moment there was no escaping the dance floor.

“Don’t even begin, Potter.” Snape remarked snidely and Harry nodded. Glancing around him he found Peeves joining in the dance too. He was floating above the ground, but he had in his clutches a third year girl and was leading her in a humorous tango dance.

Finally, the dance was over and all the students trooped up to bed dead tired. After a goodnight kiss with Ginny, Harry crashed into bed and instantly fell asleep.

888

Finals of sixth year were important. Apparently it decided if you were to stay in that class or not. Everyone was worried, especially about Potions, though to their surprise, almost everyone had a passing grade in that class. Though Ron was sure that Snape was just going to instantly fail them all and not one, but maybe Malfoy, would get into seventh year potions.

McGonagall’s turned out to be the hardest, well their first hardest one however. Harry found his brain hurt as he walked out of that classroom and Hermione was murmuring something question number thirty-two and not sure if she put the right answer.

Ron and Harry shared a quick glance and rolled their eyes. They had Potions next and they were more worried about question number one on that test rather than number thirty-two on one they already took.

Harry, Ron and Hermione instantly took seats at the back of the classroom when they entered. Snape didn’t so much as look up as the class filed in. He seemed to be fighting his own inner battle, as if he couldn’t make a decision.

“Bet he doesn’t know if he made the questions hard enough and wants to change ‘em.” Ron murmured and Harry nodded in agreement. Too bad Gary had decided to attack before the finals, other then that they wouldn’t have to be taking this exam. Harry still hadn’t told Ron about that bet, seeing as his friend would probably go insane.

“Settle down,” Snape barked as he stood up. “You are not to look up, not to talk, not to do anything beside write. If you can help it, don’t breath. If you look up at any time during this final, or even make so much as a noise, you will instantly fail.” Everyone stiffened. They were given anti-cheating quills, didn’t Snape know hat. “Don’t look up!”

He ordered again and he began passing the test out, face down. Finally, everyone had one in front of them. “Don’t glance at your friends, make a noise, or look up. You may begin.” Harry flipped his paper over and instantly knew why Snape had been barking at them so.

On the test were four questions:

What is your name?

What is your favorite potion?

What potion do you despise?

Do you know why I am giving this particular test?

Indeed, it was hard not to look up and gape at your friends. Not to snort or rather burst out laughing and asked for the real test. Out of the whole thing, that was the most challenging part.

Trying hard to burst out laughing, Harry answered the questions.

What is you name? Harry Potter.

What is you favorite potion? Laughing Potion.

What potion do you despise? Skelo-grow

Do you know why I am giving you this particular test? Either you’ve gone mental, or you don’t count Gary as a murderous fiend who tried to kill me, so you’ve taken up your side of the bargain.

Once Harry was done, he put down his quill, as many others had, but didn’t dare glance up, knowing that he, of all people, would get into the most trouble. Finally, everyone was done and Snape was collecting the tests.

“You may now look up, but you are not to talk about the test.” Snape ordered and everyone looked up. Ron and Harry looked at each other, Ron’s mouth hanging open in horror, Hermione looked a bit put-out, and Harry was just shaking his head in disbelief. Neville looked incredibly relieved and several students were muttering about a waste of time studying.

“So,” Ron began. “Has mum told you what we’re going to do about your...err...living arrangements for the beginning of the summer?” Harry shook his head.

“I got a letter, saying she was terribly sorry, and that she was going to talk to Dumbledore about it. Sorry for all this trouble, mate.” Harry murmured and Ron shrugged.

“You’re not any trouble, just it’s ironic. We’re always trying to get you to come over at the beginning of the summer vacation, and the one time that happens...no one’s there.” Ron sighed and Harry shrugged. They’d figure something out. Harry felt bad for bumming off of his friends.

Snape put down his quill, obviously done grading the tests. “If you called me mental in that last question, I took off points.” Snape snarled. “If you gave me you’re middle name in the first question in the first question, I took off points, for I didn’t ask for that. If you told me why you liked and disliked those particular potions, I counted off. I didn’t ask why.” Everyone began to murmur.

“I put mental,” Harry and Ron both informed.

“I put why, and my middle name.” Hermione whispered.

“I put my middle name,” Neville mumbled. All around the classroom people were murmuring about what they did.

“Who called him mental?” Malfoy hissed to Blaise. Apparently no one could figure out who did that, beside Ron and Harry. They looked at each other and shrugged with a wicked smile.

“It was the only time that we could possibly get away with it, and not get detention.” Ron said under Hermione accusing glare. “So, what was you worst potion?”

“Skelo-grow,” Harry informed.

“I was going to put Polyjuice, but he’d get suspicious as to how I knew that.” Ron muttered sheepishly. Everyone was telling their answers, seeing that Snape wasn’t about to do anything to stop them.

“I can’t believe I wrote my middle name and got counted off,” Hermione murmured.

“Ah, give it up, ‘Mione. For all I know, I wrote the wrong name.” Harry said before bursting into laughter at his friends faces. Hermione scowled after that and Ron smiled stupidly.

Finally, the class was over.

“Mr. Potter, stay after!” Snape called out over the crowd. Harry detached himself from the crowd and motioned for his friends to go on ahead.

“We’ll save you a seat, Harry.” Ron called out and Harry nodded. He turned back to Snape who was looking over some papers. Finally the class was gone and it was just Snape and Harry in the dungeons.

“Tell me the truth, Mr. Potter; do you really not know why I gave this particular test?” Snape demanded and Harry shrugged.

“No not really, I mean Gary and all.” Harry mumbled and Snape raised an eyebrow.

“Do you not remember the cave-in when I said that if you could dig us out I’d not give you class the final?” Harry nodded, still not following him.

“Yeah, and I said I had something to shoot for. But I didn’t dig us out, so why?” Harry demanded and Snape chuckled.

“Harry, how do you think Peeves would get in, with you didn’t manage to dig a hole?” Snape demanded and Harry gaped. “I have wards all over the dungeons to keep Peeves out, he can break them but a cave-in is not something that he could break, unless there was a hole for him to get through. So, you did manage to dig us out.” He smiled oddly and Harry chuckled. “So, I’m not mental, and I do consider Gary a murderous fiend.”

“Well, that’s a relief,” Harry muttered sarcastically and Snape motioned for him to leave.

“Go, eat Harry, Mr. Weasley probably thinks I’ve put you in a potion already. Don’t, however, tell anyone the true reason for the exam. Let imaginations run wild.” Snape remarked snidely and Harry nodded. He trooped out of the dungeons, only to stop right before entering the Great Hall with an odd smile.

“He called me Harry, twice.” He shook his head slightly, he must be losing it.

As Harry took a seat next to Ginny, he could already here the rumors about the exam. Hermione glanced over at Harry but when he shook his head she didn’t ask. Glancing around, Harry found Dumbledore watching him with a crocked smile. He smiled back a bit and went back to eating his dinner.

888

A few days later, Harry received a package in the mail from the twins. Smiling, and instantly knowing what it was, he hurriedly unwrapped it and looked at the shirts.

On the shirt was the picture of Snape and McGonagall dancing the foxtrot and in curly, magically letters, it read ‘HE SAID YES.’

“Mate, why are you holding up a pink shirt?” Ron asked and Harry handed it to him. There was a black one too.

“Brilliant!” Ron roared in laughter and soon everyone at Gryffindor table was howling. Smiling, Harry jumped up, grabbed Hedwig who had fluttered onto his shoulder, wrapped up the black shirt hurriedly and tied it to her leg. Then borrowed a school owl that was hopping around on the table and tied the pink one to its leg.

The whole table was watching him.

He hurried scribbled a note that clearly read. ‘YOU’RE MADE FOR EACH OTHER.’ And he sent the owls off. He had walked in on a conversation between Dumbledore and Snape one day, where Snape said something and Dumbledore jokingly said ‘so McGonagall said yes.’ It turned out to be quite the joke throughout the staff.

The whole Gryffindor table was watching the owls as they swooped toward McGonagall and Snape.

“Don’t watch!” Ron hissed and instantly the table fell back into a stiff routine. Yet, Harry knew it was of no use. He had sent his own owl to Snape, there was no doubt that he wouldn’t know.

Glancing out of the corner of his eye, he watched as Snape raised an eyebrow at Hedwig but accepted the package. As soon as it was off her leg, she took off. Same with McGonagall’s owl.

Glancing at each other, McGonagall and Snape unwrapped the presents. An odd hush fell over the Gryffindor table and the rest of the hall curious to what they were looking at also turned toward the staff table.

Snape was holding up his shirt and his face flashing with anger while McGonagall was chuckling to herself. Snape threw the shirt aside and Dumbledore picked it up wonderingly. Smiling when he read it, he instantly pulled it over his head and was soon wearing the shirt over his robes.

Everyone in the hall roared in laughter and Snape jumped to his feet. He left the hall with billowing robes and McGonagall tossed the shirt aside herself. In the next second, Peeves swooped in, grabbed the shirt and much like Dumbledore, jammed it over his head.

“Brilliant,” Ron laughed as Harry smiled. Oh yes, he was in trouble now, he thought.

After dinner, everyone piled out of the hall. Though Dumbledore caught Harry’s shoulder and pulled him out of the crowd.

“Did you carve the box?” Harry nodded and Dumbledore beamed. “Thank-you Harry, I truly love it.” Harry found his face flushing. “Now, as for you prank with the shirts, I truly enjoyed that too. Can you have the twins send me a blue one?” he asked and laughing Harry nodded.

Dumbledore swept out of the hall and Harry followed him. Soon he was walking to Gryffindor Tower by himself.

Then, suddenly, someone appeared behind him. Startled, Harry turned around and found himself face to face with Snape.

“Follow me,” he ordered before turning around and billowing off.

“Merlin I was right,” Harry muttered to himself. “A pop-up book from hell.” They walked in silence until they reached Snape’s office, wherein Snape pushed Harry in. On his desk was a chess set.

“If you can beat me, you won’t get into trouble for you joke. If you don’t, you’ll have detention until the end of the school year and the beginning of next.”

“Are you serious?” Harry gaped and Snape nodded. “Alright,” Harry mumbled and they sat down at the chess set.

888

Almost an hour later, Harry was walking back up to Gryffindor tower with a smile on his face. He had managed to somehow beat Snape, which Harry had a feeling was more of luck then anything else. But he didn’t have detention the rest of the year nor the beginning of next. Now that was luck.

And to top it off, Snape had invented a potion that corrected Harry’s limp. It was a bit painful, but he no longer limped. Snape murmured something about having been working on it for a while, at McGonagall insistence, and he wasn’t too sure if it would work. But it had.

Harry had been second from hugging Snape, when he realized that it was indeed Snape and thought better of it. He settled on thanking the man gratefully and leaving. After a bit of thought, Harry decided that this wasn’t a bad year at all.