Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Attempts at Comfort

Severus Snape was not happy as he stumbled inside of Spinners End. With a sigh, he slouched down on the lump couch and buried his face in his hands. What did I get myself into, he wondered as he reached for a bottle of anti-Cruciatus potion. It tasted foul but he longed for relief from the Unforgivable that had been cast on him tonight by a frustrated deatheater who wanted to take action. Although the Dark Lord was gone, his followers remained strong and determined and they were tired of waiting to take action.

He had no friends anywhere in the Wizarding World save for Dumbledore. The Order was reluctant to associate itself with a former deatheaters. On the other hand, his fellow deatheaters were beginning to notice his lack of conviction for their beliefs. Persecution was coming from all sides and it was already wearing him down only two years after he’d turned to Dumbledore. Why am I doing this, he asked himself plaintively, it’s not like I can possible atone for any of the sins I committed as a deatheater.

There was a sudden knock of his door and he groaned, dragging himself upwards. If that’s Lucius, so help me, he thought angrily. The blonde had been the cause of the curse that evening, feeding Severus’ blood into the figurative shark tank. Severus found that in the past few years he had begun to harbor a great hatred for his former ally. He peered out into the dusk and was surprised to see his mentor standing on his doorstep holding what looked like a filthy child dressed in rags.

He quickly unlocked the door and gave Dumbledore a very weak, very forced smile and gestured for him to come in. Suddenly he felt embarrassed by the small, cramped house that he lived in. The one he’d inherited from his father and the one he hated so much. Often, he went for long walks just so it wouldn’t feel so much like a prison in this house. Being a deatheater before had offered him wealth, but now the money seemed dirty and he had been reduced to staying here. Of course, the headmaster had offered more suitable lodgings but Severus had been far too proud to accept them. After all, he already owed the man so much. However, he knew that it was just his vanity speaking and that Dumbledore was far too noble to judge a man of his wealth. Severus winced when he compared Dumbledore’s wise outlook to his shallow one that he had previously held.

“Severus my boy, how are you?”

“Fine,” he lied, trying to still his shaky hands. The headmaster’s shrewd stare seemed to know better.

“I’m afraid I need to ask you a favor.”

“Anything,” he instantly replied, still eager to prove himself after these two long years.

Dumbledore sighed at the man’s answer. They would have to discuss Severus’ debt of gratitude at a later time. “I have a young charge I need you to look after.”

A look of understanding crossed the Potion Master’s face as he looked down at the shabbily dressed boy who was in Dumbledore’s arms. His automatic response was ‘Hel no, I’m not looking after that little brat’. However, he was reminded of his predicament and what came out of his mouth was slightly different.

“Are you sure, Professor Dumbledore? I’m not...good with children.” That was an understatement. Even the first and second year students at Hogwarts made him uneasy.

With a chuckle the man responded, “Not a good thing to tell the man the recently gave you a teaching position at his school.”

Severus simply frowned down at the tiny boy who was shyly but curiously looking up at him with big green eyes from his place in Dumbledore’s arms. “Professor–.”

“Severus, please, call me Albus.”

“Fine, Albus, I don’t think I can do that.”

“Ah, you underestimate yourself child.” Dumbledore pushed the boy into his arms. Awkwardly he held him, but he began to slip so Severus had to shift him and drag him back upwards. The little boy whimpered, startling Snape into releasing him. Harry fell to the floor on his butt and blinked up at his future teacher. Dumbledore looked amused and Severus simply glared at him. And then he spotted the scar on his forehead.

“Albus...”

“Yes,” he said pleasantly, “I believe you have heard of Harry Potter.”

“”Now wait just one minute. If you think that I’m going to watch after James Potter’s...spawn...”

“I would think you’d want to help Severus, considering your history.” Meaningfully, Dumbledore looked at him over his half-moon spectacles.

For a moment Severus frowned at him but then his eyes lit up with understanding and he glanced down at the little boy who was now fingering the hem of Severus’ black robe. “I had to remove him from the Muggle’s care.”

“Fine,” he snapped bitterly, trying not to feel any sympathy for the little boy, “How long does he have to stay here?”

Dumbledore smiled slightly, a mischievous glint in his eyes, “Well, we’ll just have to see, now won’t we?”

Manipulative old man, thought Severus as the headmaster bid him a farewell and closed the door gently behind him. When he heard the door shut, the little boy’s head snapped around and he whimpered before letting out a horrid wail complete with fat tears falling down his face. Severus stared at Harry in horror. What am I supposed to do now, he asked himself desperately. Since there seemed to be nothing particularly wrong with the child, he walked into the bedroom to rest, figuring that eventually Harry would tire himself out. However, the frightened child continued to scream, giving his guardian no peace. Finally, in frustration he stormed back into the living room where the child paid him no heed. Severus wasn’t stupid, he knew that Harry wanted comfort. However, never having been granted much of that as a child he was unsure how to provide it to another.

Well, there was one thing that his mother, Eileen Prince, had done to comfort him which was singing to him. He hesitated, looking for any other possible option to make him be quiet. Looking down at the small body with a excellent set of lungs, he decided there was no other option. Desperate times call for desperate measures after all. Carefully he bent down and lifted the boy into his arms. For a moment Harry struggled but then resigned himself to leaning against his shoulder crying. Rustily, he began to sing, thankful that no one, especially the headmaster could see this.

Harry quieted and stared up at him. Hesitantly, he reached his hands up and placed them around Snape’s neck and held on tightly. When the child did this Severus felt something warm and frightening rise within him. Quickly, he tried to fight off this feeling but it only grew stronger and more pronounced. Soon he realized that Harry had silenced completely and was asleep against his chest. Relieved, he attempted to place the child on the couch but this only made Harry whimper and clutch his robes. Terrified of waking him and going through another tantrum he carefully laid down on the floor and soon fell asleep out of exhaustion.

XxXxXxX

“I told you Albus! Did I not say I didn’t trust these Muggles to take care of him?” Minerva ranted, storming down Privet Drive in all her robe-clad glory. Dumbledore sighed heavily, his deputy headmistress was not at all happy with him after he filled her in about what he’d found.

“Minerva, please hold your temper.”

“Are you kidding me! Albus, these people deserve to be told off, in fact they deserve so much more. These people are no better then deatheaters with their prejudices against magic. But, can we lock them up in Azkaban? No!” Dumbledore hoped that it was dark enough that no one would see the angry witch storming down the street.

“Surely you’re aware that not all Muggles are like that.” McGonagall scoffed and all but blew down their front door. Dumbledore had lived long enough to learn to control his temper, however he was angry about the treatment of his charge and simply did not have the will to calm his former student.

Mrs. Dursley let out a melodramatic scream when the witch and wizard entered her kitchen, a little chubby boy waddled behind his mother’s legs (though they did not hide him), and Mr. Dursley jumped to his feet and began turning purple in the face. His mouth opened and closed several times, bits of spittle escaping his mouth.

McGonagall looked sternly down at the Muggles as if she was looking at a student who had really disappointed her. The look on her face now was not one that even Sirius Black had managed to drag out of her. “We need to speak to you about Harry Potter.”

Petunia paled slightly and ushered her son out of the room and Vernon went bug-eyed. As Petunia stepped out, Minerva followed her into the living room. Dumbledore was hesitant to leave her alone with the woman but decided it was best to allow her to handle it in her own way. Calmly he turned to the large man who was staring with rage in his eyes.

“I must say that I am terribly disappointed about what I found here.”

“Now, you look here. How I run my family is none of your business.”

Dumbledore met his eyes angrily, “It is my business when you endanger one of my charges. You took out a prejudice on a little boy who’s only sin is having parents who died young.”

“I want you out of my house...” but the man faltered as energy crackled around the older man. Dumbledore did not draw his wand, but that didn’t make him any less intimidating.

His voice got soft and dangerous, “I’m a firm believer that we all eventually get what we deserve in this life, and I believe you have gotten just that. You life in a small, safe box, never bothering to look over the edges at the world around you. Ask yourself where your fear of magic comes from. The fact that it may effect your little box or the fact that it won’t? Know, that if you damaged that boy in any way you will suffer, as will many other people. Not at my hands, but mark my words you will.”

Finally his face lightened and he took a deep breath before turning to gather Minerva and leave, hopefully never to return to Number Four Privet Drive. However, before they left he caught sight of a ginger horse standing in the middle of the living room.

“Minerva!” He chortled as they walked across the threshold, “Aren’t you going to change her back?”

“No,” she said simply. At his stern look she sighed, “honestly Albus, it is a timed transfiguration spell. She’ll turn back.”

With that she fixed her green hat and gave him a rare smile, “I best get my lesson plans ready for the fall.”

He laughed; Severus and Minerva, his two favorite overachievers both when they were students and now that they were teachers.

XxXxXxX

Harry was half-awake the next morning, laying on a hard floor. However, he was warm and thankful for that. Usually his cupboard was drafty and the thin blankets simply didn’t keep him warm. He’d had the strangest dream about a man with an orange jumper! Without opening his eyes he cuddled into the source of the warmth and let out a tiny yawn.

Severus had been awake for some time now on the uncomfortable floor, afraid to move for fear of waking the boy. He had no clue why he had agreed to this, he knew absolutely nothing about kids. To his horror the little form...cuddled (there was really no other word for it) against him. Cautiously he opened his eyes and looked down at the little form which was now staring back at him with wide, sleep-filled eyes.

“Morning.” He mumbled.

Severus simply said the first thing that came to mind, “You’re filthy.”

Harry frowned up at him in a way that would have been adorable to anyone besides Severus Snape. Then he wiped his hand across his face to try to make it clean, however this simply smeared the dirt.

“Hose?” Asked Harry, trembling and looking (to Snape’s horror) like he was going to cry again.

“What?” He asked in confusion.

“Use garden hose to get clean?” He asked with a tone of resignation, disentangling himself from Snape.

“No, child. You’ll use the bathtub.” Had those Muggles really cleaned him in the yard with a hose like a common house pet?

“Not ‘llowed.” He said, stretching out his tiny limbs.

“Here you are.” Said Severus, feeling anger rise in him. Harry smiled and leaned against him in a small hug. Stiffly, Snape rubbed his back in what he hoped was a soothing gesture. Wait, was he supposed to help the kid with his bath? Severus let out a sigh and transfigured the child’s clothes into swim trunks, he wasn’t sure how that whole deal was supposed to work.

Sometime during the bath the little boy began to get a little confidence and play hesitantly in the water. At one point he splashed Severus and to his surprise the man found a smile on his face as he gently splashed him back causing the boy to laugh and clap his hands together. Once they were done he conjured some tiny robes for the little boy and decided they would have to go shopping later . Sitting the boy on the couch, he walked into the kitchen to start breakfast, not feeling quite as terrified by his new job.

Chapter End Notes:

Ah, another chapter. How was it? Please review and let me know.

As much as I love writing little Harry, in about three chapters from here he will grow up a little bit and eventually go to Hogwarts.

Thanks again for reading!