Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:

Thank you so much to everyone who reviewed my story, I appreciate it so much and it really encourages me to keep these updates coming. Hope you enjoy this chapter which. Many of you will be sad to hear that I’ve decided this will be the last chapter before he goes to Hogwarts. I have to ask, you don’t think the relationship is too rushed considering his age, do you? Please review!

The Werewolf

"Who was that?" Asked Harry, thankfully forgetting about his earlier question before they were interrupted by Lucius.

"A bad wizard. There are some wizards in this world, Harry that want only to elevate their power, even if it means hurting other people to do so." The boy stared blankly up at him and Severus sighed, he was trying to discuss wizarding values with a five-year-old boy, "Eat your eggs, Harry."

"Okay." The boy said cheerfully, digging into the food laid out in front of him at a pace that both worried and impressed Severus.

"We need to go to Madam Malkins’ Robes, as well as a Muggle clothing store. We need to stop and get your potion and perhaps some things for your room." Snape listed off the things they needed to do. He was a firm believer in lists, something that both Lucius and Lily had teased him endlessly about during his Hogwarts days, even Dumbledore had made the occasional comment about his many lists he kept in his drawers in his dungeon office. Harry nodded, even though he clearly did not know of the places Severus was speaking of.

Suddenly there was a knock on the door and Severus glanced at it, frowning curiously. Who could that be now? He wasn’t exactly a social butterfly these days, not that he ever had been. Putting his fork back down on his plate, he stood up and walked to the front door. As was his habit, being a spy, he checked the identity of the visitor. When he did, he seriously considered hiding inside and pretending not to be home. However, he would like to think his maturity extended beyond that and he stiffly opened the door.

"Hello Remus."

"Severus!" Exclaimed the man in his ever polite voice, carefully looking at Severus. "How are you?"

"Peachy," he drawled sarcastically. That damn smile never faltered, in fact he could swear it grew a little wider. "Did you want something Lupin?"

"Well..." He hesitated and rubbed coarse hands against his trousers. "Dumbledore told me Harry was here and I never got to see him when he was with the Dursleys, reckoned they didn’t want a werewolf and wizard in their house–."

"But you assumed I would be keen on the idea, Wolf." He hissed, slightly regretting the words as a look of hurt crossed the man’s face. Quickly, he pushed that feeling away. Remus was a Marauder, he deserved whatever he got.

Remus held his hands up in a placating gesture and said in his soft spoken way, "Come on, Severus."

He sighed and briefly met the amber eyes of the werewolf and finally said, "Yes, fine. Come in."

To his surprise Remus reached out and touched his shoulder as he stepped into the small house, "This was really nice of you Severus. Taking Harry in after what happened with his relatives," his eyes flashed and Severus felt a shudder run through him, "How anyone could hurt a child is beyond me." To be honest, Remus seemed a lot more confident about Severus’ ability to take care of this boy then he was. "If you don’t mind, maybe sometimes...I could take him for a little while. I mean obviously not around the time of the full moon, but maybe a week afterwards? If it’s alright with you of course."

His first reaction was to say no and to be honest that wasn’t something he was proud of. The fact that he wanted to hurt the other man. However, when he thought about it, it wasn’t such a bad idea. Wouldn’t it be good for Harry to have someone else who cares about him around? And wouldn’t someone like Remus be better with kids then he was? "Sure, we’ll work something out."

This earned him a brilliant smile as Remus went into the kitchen. He stopped and stared at the little boy, clearly thinking about his deceased friend and how much the child resembled him. "Harry, cub, it’s so good to see you!"

"Remus!" Squealed Harry, jumping up from his seat and knocking over a glass of orange juice in the process. A feeling of confusion overcame Severus at the recognition of the man by the little boy.

The wold gave him a sheepish smile and muttered, "Well, I found times to see him when his relatives weren’t around."

"How Slytherin of you," commented Severus, unsure of whether he meant that as a compliment or an insult. He stepped over to the spilled juice and spelled away the liquid and picked up the glass.

"Daddy, do you know Remus?" Severus dropped the glass to the floor and stood there opening and closing his mouth, looking rather like a fish. Remus gaped at him momentarily and then snorted rather loudly. This drew a death glare from the dark-haired man and Remus held up his hands helplessly and started to laugh even louder, giving himself almost completely over to it.

"Shut up, Lupin."

"I just...." a great gasping laugh, "you should see your face!"

Oblivious Harry asked, "Can I show Remus my room?"

"Fine, why don’t you go and he’ll meet you there."

"K. Thanks Dad."

Whirling on Lupin he snapped, "I’m glad you find my problem so funny!"

"You don’t have a problem!"

"What do you mean I don’t have a problem," he lost all dignity at this point and gestured wildly, "Did you see that? Potter is rolling over in his grave right now!"

"Look," he sighed heavily and seated himself in his chair, "you have never had a real family and neither has Harry. Dumbledore had a reason for putting you two together, everything he does has a purpose. Besides, it’s sweet."

Severus gave him a doubtful look and Remus defended himself, "It is!"

"And it doesn’t bother you that he’d becoming...attached to me?"

Remus shrugged, "No. James was my best friend in the world Severus. And because of that I know that he’d want his son to be happy and have someone good in his life." The werewolf looked intently at him and then smiled, "You care about him."

"What?"

"Severus, you can’t fool me. Canines have an enhanced feel for human emotions and wolves are no exception." Stupid wolf with his stupid wolf senses. "I’m going to go look at Harry’s room, owl me and let me know about when I can take him. Oh, and Severus? Just trust yourself, trust that you’re a good person."

The potions master snorted, "Even from you I didn’t expect that sentimental sap."

Remus shook his head, "Whatever you say Severus."

XxXxXxX

Eventually, he managed to get the boy to eat breakfast and he washed him up. Remus watched this whole process with an annoying, knowing smile on his face. It bothered Severus that the wolf though that he cared for the boy, which he didn’t! He was simply completing another mission for Dumbledore, right? Right, the boy was simply latching onto him because he was the only constant, stable adult in his life right now.

"Can Remus come with us?" Questioned the little boy quietly, still not confident in asking things from his guardian. The werewolf glanced at him questioningly and Severus shrugged.

"I’d love to go, Harry."

Severus had always hated Diagon Alley ever since the first time his mother had taken him to the place to buy his school supplies. It was loud and crowded and there were children running around unsupervised. Harry, however, was staring at the street that was bursting with color and sound in awe.

"Oh! We have to get an ice cream, they have the best triple chocolate sundaes in here!" Exclaimed a very excited Lupin. Severus sneered ever so slightly at the man’s childish antics which got him a sheepish grin. However, nothing could have ruined Remus’ good mood just then.

The day went by quickly, although Severus noted that Harry grew extremely shy around the strangers of the alley. Also, they couldn’t get the little boy to pick anything to buy so they simply picked the things that the child’s eyes lingered on. By the time they left the alley both adults were tired and Harry was falling asleep where he stood. Remus went to pick him up but he whined slightly and extended his arms toward Severus who obediently picked him up and carried him out of Diagon Alley. When they arrived he gently sat the boy in his bed and covered him with the new quilt, featuring a large, green dragon the had bought.

"Night, Daddy."Severus sighed helplessly and mumbled, "Good night, Harry."

Remus was lounging on the couch, looking extremely tired when Severus returned from Harry’s room. "I love being able to see him like this."

Not knowing what to say, the potions master merely nodded, "It’s good to see you like this too, Severus. I mean, happy. And don’t argue, I can tell that you’re a lot happier then you have been in a long time." The werewolf was so close that he could smell the fresh scent of soap on the man. Then, to his shock, he found a pair of warm, soft lips gently caressing his own. For a moment he panicked and went to pull away but...it felt so good, the contact was so welcome! Looking at the brown-haired man, he felt a surge of...something for him. Hesitantly, he responded, deepening the kiss.

And then he came to his senses, this was Remus Lupin. A werewolf. As a matter of fact, it was a werewolf who had tried to kill him many years ago. Quickly, he pulled away and stood up. "What was that?"

Remus blinked up at him and Severus felt a surge of rage even though his lips were still tingling from the kiss. "I just thought..."

"You thought wrong, wolf." Hissed Severus.

Remus looked saddened as he stood to leave. Before he exited he turned and said, "Severus...you’re hurting still, from everything you’ve lived through. Maybe one day you will allow yourself to be happy." He observed him for a moment and then his eyes widened, "That’s it, isn’t it? You’re still punishing yourself for what you’ve done." He shook his head, "You’ve already repented, Severus. You’ve sacrificed more for this war then anyone has any right to expect. Owl me with the days Harry can visit."

He watched him leave with an oddly heavy feeling in the pit of his stomach.

The next few weeks passed peacefully, Severus struggling to adjust to taking care of a small child. Already, Harry had begun to gain a little weight and Severus had taken to taking him to a nearby Muggle park to entertain the boy. Unfortunately, the boy was weak from spending so much time at his relatives in a confined space so he tired easily. Remus came to see the child twice in those few weeks and avoided talking to Severus more then absolutely necessary. Harry still insisted on calling him his father and every time he did, the man flinched but secretly enjoyed the new role as it gave him a new purpose. Maybe the wolf had been right about his desire for a family because he had really never had one of his own. Maybe Remus was right about a lot of things.

That night when they brought Harry home and dragged him off to bed. Severus stopped Remus and kissed him deeply in the small, cluttered living room., probing for entrance into the warm mouth which he was granted. When they broke apart, the werewolf was staring at him with wide eyes.

"I changed my mind Remus," Severus said softly, feeling awkward and worried about any number of scathing comments Remus could throw back at him. "I want to be happy."

Remus smiled and leaned in for another kiss, eyes warm and bright in the dark room.

To be continued...