Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Chapter 10

Poppy Pomfrey was a very stern woman. She took care of the various injuries that the children of Hogwarts managed to get themselves into. All the scrapes and bruises to the various broken bones. She had learned early onto expect almost anything, especially when one Harry Potter started school and when Severus Snape started his spying once again. She was thankful that she had not yet been certified early on when Severus was a spy the first time around for she did not believe she could stomach it from what she had heard. Oh she may have been the school nurse through his childhood but she had not taken her healing and further than what the school needed, they had always taken Severus too St. Mungos when he was in terrible conditions. She had contemplated during that time to get further healing education but when Voldemort was first vanquished she felt no need for it.

However that all changed, as was mentioned, when Harry Potter entered school or more like when he came in with some of the most outrageous injuries she had ever seen. It was after his first year that not only did she agree with Albus Dumbledore and further her healing capabilities but she went even further, further than even most at St. Mungos went. She would be considered a Head Healer, or more commonly known as a Magick Healer. It basically meant that she was capable of dealing with patients who were put under the cruelest of tortures. She had always hoped she would never need use of her new abilities, but alas that was not to be so when in Harry’s fourth year Voldemort was brought back.

She had taken care of Severus’ injuries more times than she could count on her fingers and toes combined. She watched as the already sour man, grew more tense and acerbic towards people. Even when she found out he was taking care of Harry Potter in his newly de aged form she couldn’t believe it. She had seen him act tenderly towards him and take care of him like any normal parent would do. He was overly protective and made sure the child got whatever his heart desired, even if it wasn’t much due to his current age. She had to admit she had her doubts. And now she had to treat that very boy, along with another child, for the after effects of Crucio, She had been hoping that with Severus now done spying she would never have to see something so horrid again though this proved that anything was possible and to always be prepared.

All doubts flew out of the window when she walked in on Severus sleeping with Harry in his bed. It was the cutest, there was simply no other word for it, site she had ever seen, well at least with this on man in it. Severus was sleeping on his back with baby Harry laying across on his stomach with piles of Severus’ robes clutched in his small hand, though placed strategically so the small boy was still able to have a small limp thumb in his mouth. Severus had his arms protectively over the boy, holding him tightly to his person.

She turned to the headmaster when she saw a slight flash go off and she saw the old man with a camera poised in his hand. He gave her a small sheepish smile as if to say he couldn’t help himself. She gave a small smile in return before turning to her patients once again. She decided to check Draco over first, seeing as he would be a little easier since there was no one else in his bed to disrupt her scanning. She gave a small sigh of relief, Draco’s scan showed that he was healing nicely; the potions were doing their job on the lad. It would hopefully be another day until she would be able to release him into Severus’ care. Drawing the blankets tightly around the boy she moved over to where Severus and Harry were still sleeping. She didn’t want to wake neither man nor babe so she settled for putting her wand closer to Harry in an area where he wasn’t touching Severus. His scans were a bit more difficult than Draco’s were. Since he was so young he was unable to take the potions so he had to wait out the after effects; though she was hoping that since he wasn’t hit directly it wouldn’t be that bad. She again sighed; Harry too was healing, this sleep making all the difference to his small frame. Both boys undoubtedly would be weak for a long while but they would recover.

Severus started stirring when he felt something moving on his chest. He peeked an eye open, wondering what could possibly be moving, and spotted Harry. The child was squirming around in what he could only assume was discomfort. The boys’ eyes were open and he was currently curling himself into a ball on his chest.

Trying to give the boy some comfort he laid his hand on the boys back and rubbed gently. Harry lifted his head in surprise and gave a soft moan.

“I know Harry calm down.” Severus sat up holding Harry to chest while he did so. Once he was sitting up properly he glanced around the room hoping to spot the matron only to find she was not in the room, though he believed she was on her way since he remembered her once saying she placed some sort of charm or another on her patients to keep track of them.

And so I am right!

“Glad to see the two of you awake. I just want to do some tests and then perhaps I will release both these boys into your care Severus.”

“Yes! Finally, I have been dying of boredom in here!” Draco had apparently awoken. He quieted down when the matron turned towards him.

“You have been placed under a horrid curse young man! Things like this require care and if you continue on like this perhaps I will extend you stay.” There was a moment of silence. “That’s what I thought. Now lay back Mr. Malfoy I will examine you last.”

She tapped her wand on Harry’s head, causing the lad to curl up further. “Hmm yes, this little one will be experiencing horrid headaches I am afraid. There is not much he can take for them but a mild reliever. Won’t do much but it is better than nothing.”

She moved over to Draco, frowning at him when he glared at her. She made sure to take her time with this one, she was a Slytherin once you know, and she knew how they worked.

When she was finished she had prescribed Draco a potion much the same as Harry’s only a much stronger dose. She turned to Severus, “You can take them in the afternoon to your rooms Severus. They will, however, need much rest as I imagine even the trip from here to your rooms will wear them out, no matter how much they resist and deny it,” here she stopped to glance at Draco who only smirked right back at her.

“Thank you Madame Pomfrey I will make sure they do get the rest required.”

“Then as I said you may take them this afternoon, after lunch should suffice. To let you all know, they both should be recovered within a few days with minor shakiness for a while.” With that she turned and went to her office.

After making sure she was really gone Draco pulled himself up into a sitting position. “Hear that Harry? We’re nearly home free only a few more hours in here.” He smiled at Harry who was still comfortably perched on Severus’ stomach.

Harry in response gave a slight giggle but quieted when his head hurt.

“I wouldn’t push your luck Draco. Lay back and relax, if you harm yourself further in these next few hours, I will not hesitate when she says that you must stay here longer.”

“That was right awful mean Uncle Sev.” It was then that Draco gave him the most mature and dignified answer possible, he stuck out his tongue.

Severus was going to reply with one of his famous sarcastic remarks when he heard a small giggle. Harry, it seemed, found the whole situation rather humorous.

About an hour later the headmaster walked into the ward, though Severus could have sworn that he had never left. None the less the man walked over to the two beds where Harry and Draco still lay though Severus had moved himself in between them in a chair.

“Good morning boys. Just wanted to pop back in and see how you are all doing though by the looks of it and from Poppy you both seem to be doing fine. Draco you are excused from classes for the rest of the week or until you are fully healed. Severus,” he placed a hand in the air to silence the man, “I want you to stay with them both as they heal. They are going to need help and supervision, more than what Poppy will be able to give them with classes starting again tomorrow. Take the time off and relax, when Harry is well enough to go back to sitting in your classes then you may resume them.”

Dumbledore moved closer to the doors, seemingly wary of the scowl Severus had directed towards them. “With that I say good-bye!” And he sped out of the infirmary all to the amusement of Draco who couldn’t stop laughing.

“That old man is getting more senile as the days go by.” Severus muttered under his breath.

“What,” Draco had to take a deep breath, “was that Uncle Sev? I don’t think we all heard you.”

“Draco, be quiet before I decide to leave you here no matter what Madame Pomfrey says.” He waited a moment, satisfied when the teen shut his mouth firmly with only the tips of his lips twitching in remembered mirth.

There was a tug on his cloak that made him look to the young toddler on the other bed. Harry was on his knees leaning slightly over the bars holding onto him.

“Daddy no leave Dwaco hewe wight?”

Admitting defeat, the older man knew those shining green eyes would win (he had a hard time denying this kid anything!), he sighed.

“Yeah Uncle Sev, you wouldn’t leave me in here all by myself without anyone to keep me company would you?”

Glaring at Draco who was smirking at him, he turned his attention back to Harry.

“First Harry you shouldn’t be sitting like that, you will only hurt yourself.” He laid Harry back up against his mound of pillows. “And second, I was only joking Harry. I wouldn’t leave him in here unless Madame Pomfrey said he had to stay so don’t worry about that kid.”

The next two hours were spent either dozing or in conversation. They took lunch in the hospital wing undisturbed and were currently waiting for Pomfrey’s decision.

“Don’t you look at me like that Draco Malfoy! I will let you out of here when I am good and ready to let you out. Now lay back so I can scan you.” She huffed in annoyance and waved her wand over the young man.

“There was that so hard, you should be setting a good example for Harry here, not showing him how not to behave. You, Mr. Malfoy, may leave along with Harry but only if you follow all of my instructions which I gave Severus. Do you understand?”

She waited for confirmation before turning to Severus. “Take them straight to your rooms and straight into bed for the both of them, no wandering around for the next two or three days. Even then only small distances through your rooms. I will come to check on them in two days time and see how they are progressing.” She turned on her heels and headed into her office.

“Well you heard her boys! We had better start leaving now in case she decides to change her mind.”

Severus first helped Draco up, steadying him, before he handed him the crutches Madame Pomfrey ordered him to use. Draco had scoffed at the idea but was not grateful for them seeing as he was unable to stand on his own.

Sure that the boy would not fall over anytime soon Severus gathered Harry into his arms and set him on one hip so that one hand would be free to help Draco walk.

The trip to his rooms took twice if not three times the amount of time it normally would due to Draco but they made it without being sited (thankfully classes were in session) and with minimal issues, though when they had come to the stairs Draco had to be floated to the bottom of them. He would never look at the stairs that had wronged him so with any favor ever again.

Opening the portrait to his rooms, Severus ushered Draco inside first sending him directly to the couch to lie down while he took Harry into his room to lay him down in his cot.

“Sleep now Harry, I will be right out with Draco, I promise I will be here when you wake.”

He stood leaning over the cot gently rubbing Harry’s back as the child fell asleep observing how the child’s features smoothed out into painless sleep.

When he was sure Harry was asleep he moved back out to the living area and over to Draco who apparently never fully made it on the couch. His body was sprawled with his left side of his body on the couch and the ride side hanging limply of the side.

He briefly thought of taking a picture of the undignified Malfoy posture for a moment but opted not to, the child was hurt after all, no need to add insult to injury. Moving to the boy he lifted the other half of his body onto the couch ignoring the groan that came from the prone body.

“Go to sleep Draco, rest for now.” A very undignified grunt was his response.

“My, my, so eloquent you are today Mr. Malfoy.” With a smirk Severus placed a blanket on the boy and dimmed the lights. After placing charms on both Harry and Draco to alert him of when they awoke he moved to his lab.

Might as well take a look at Longbottoms cauldron, the ministry is going to start demanding what progress I have made in depicting what went wrong and how to cure Harry soon.

Two minutes after looking into the semi-demolished cauldron he put it away. I know what went wrong after all I am the one who basically made it all happen. Now that I have done the pointless tasks it is time to move onto other things. Though at least now I can honestly say I have been looking into Harry’s case.

With a smirk he gathered up some ingredients and a cauldron and began making potions for the infirmary.

It was only a few hours later that the alarm went off warning him that one of his wards was awakening. He started making his way back into his living corridors when the alarm grew stronger. Guess they are both waking up. Picking up his pace he entered his rooms in time to hear Draco moan in discomfort.

“Hold on a second Draco let me get you a pain-reliever potion.” After administering the potion he helped Draco into a seated position making sure to place a few pillows behind him to keep him upright until he felt all right to do it himself.

“I will be right back Draco. Harry is awake as well and I must go retrieve him before he grows upset.”

Entering the room he heard the small cries coming from the cot. “I’m right here Harry, calm down.” He gently lifted Harry up and cradled the boy to his chest. “Deep breaths child you’ll feel better soon.”

Harry clutched onto his robes as he is so accustomed to doing recently and buried his head to Severus’ chest sniffling.

Severus brought Harry out to the couch that Draco occupied and sat next to the other boy placing Harry between them.

“Well since you two are not supposed to do anything strenuous I think it might be a good idea if you Draco study a bit. I don’t want you getting behind and with the last week and you being off and with the next following days you have and will miss quite a bit.”

“Ugh! Sev the last thing I want to do is look at school work it will put me right back to sleep.”

“Well then I guess that is all the better! Madame Pomfrey did say you would need plenty of rest.”

“That is not what I meant and you know it right Harry?”

If he was looking for a answer he would be disappointed Harry himself had lost interest in their conversation as soon as it started; too many big words for him to understand. He instead was focusing on the fire that was lit; he liked the colors and wondered if they would be even better up close. He would have to find out later though since he hurt too much right now but he would make sure to find out as soon as he could.

“You okay Harry?” Draco placed a hand on his head messing up his already disheveled hair.

Harry blinked up at him but didn’t answer. He laid his head against Draco’s side and rubbed his hands to his face.

“Guess your still a bit tired Harry.”

“I don’t want him falling back asleep. If he sleeps now he will never go to bed later. Come on Harry why don’t you and Draco color since he doesn’t seem to want to touch his school work.” He summoned two small table in front of the teen and toddler and placed some parchment and crayons on them. He pulled Harry forward placing more pillows behind him to keep him up right.

“There we go Harry, why don’t you draw a picture and we’ll hang it up where everyone can see it, would you like that?” Harry nodded and got right to work.

“If only you could be that enthusiastic about your school work Draco!”

“Ha, ha, ha, oh so funny!” Draco scowled and grumbled under his breath about annoying Uncles who thought it was funny to torture people with school work.

“Harry, keep it on the parchment kid. I don’t think that table would appreciate being colored orange and green.” Severus grabbed his hand and placed it back onto the parchment.

“Oh, have I got an idea Harry for when we are better!” Draco smirked but quickly ducked his head as Severus’ hand swiped overhead.