Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Author's Chapter Notes:
I am going to go through and edit these a little later on
Chapter 2

I have no idea what I was thinking! I am not the right person for this job…what do I do? Severus was in a slight panic, Harry had awoken a half hour after he had returned and had not stopped crying since. He had tried everything, a new nappy, made funny faces you name it and the kid was still crying. “Come on Harry I don’t know what you want little one.” He looked over to where Draco was slowly becoming agitated on the couch. He had long ago given up reading his book.

Walking over to his godfather, he plucked Harry out of his arms, “I can’t stand it anymore. Come on Harry settle down now, that’s right give us some peace.” Draco was slowly rocking Harry, which seemed to be working. “See, that’s all he needed.” He directed this statement at his godfather who just glared back at him.

“I don’t know what you think I have been doing this entire time Draco.” Scowling he went to a cupboard and grabbed a drink. “I am going to need to get more of this if I plan on surviving this little charade.”

Laughing Draco went back to the couch with Harry, placing him next to himself, and turned his attention back to Severus, “What do you plan on doing about clothes until we go shopping tomorrow?”

Sitting on the other side of Harry, he downed the rest of his drink, “For now I will just resize some old clothing for him, I am pretty well prepared for this except for the clothing and a few toys.” He turned to Harry who was contenting himself with putting his little hand down the creases in the couch. He watched as Harry went to place his hand in his mouth, he assumingly found something. Quickly grabbing his hand Severus pried it open and removed a button with fuzz around it. “Harry don’t eat that, it’s not good for you.” He saw Harry’s face go red and he quickly started talking again, “How about we get you some real food then Harry would you like that?”

Harry stared at him for a moment and opened his mouth, “Foo no! No foo! Unle Bernon get mad! No foo!” Harry had tears running down his face and tried to disappear into the couch. Draco looked horrified at Severus and gathered the toddler into his arms, cooing quietly into his ear and rocking him gently.

“No Harry, you are allowed to get food here. Your Uncle Vernon isn’t here and won’t be ever little one all right? You two sit tight I will order us some in.” Severus furious went to the fire. He threw in some floo powder and called for the kitchens.

“What can Missy dos for yous sirs?”

“I want two full meals of whatever will be served in the Great Hall, and I also want some small chicken strips.” Moving away from the fire, he went to the table and places a small chair next to it so that Harry would be able to reach the table. “Bring Harry on over Draco let’s get situated the food will be here shortly.”

Draco got up with Harry in his arms and went to the table placing Harry in his chair. He pushed a few hairs away from his face before sitting down next to him. Severus went up to Harry placing a small cloth around his neck. “No need to get something on your clothes now.” Severus smiled at Harry when he reached down and pulled at the cloth, trying to look at it. There were different colored bears on it that moved around and Harry was intrigued. “Keep it on Harry.”

The food popped onto the table a minute later and Severus took the plate of chicken strips and cut them into small pieces before placing them in front of Harry. “There you go now Harry. Eat up.” Harry just stared blankly at the food in front of him before looking at Severus in surprise. He tentatively reached out a small chubby hand, grabbed a piece of the chicken, and cautiously popped it into his mouth, getting some of the crumbs on his mouth. All through the meal, Harry continued to stare at Severus sometimes peaking at Draco making sure they wouldn’t take his food away. For their part, Severus and Draco just continued to eat, sometimes sending Harry small smiles of encouragement when he would stop eating at their glances.

When the meal had finally been, finished Severus cast a spell on Harry’s face to clean the crumbs off. He carefully slid Harry out of his chair and held him to his chest. “Did you enjoy your food Harry?” He asked as he undid the cloth from around Harry’s neck. He watched as Harry nodded shyly. “I am glad you liked it little one. Would you like to color? I am sure Draco would love to join you.” Harry nodded excitedly while Draco gave his godfather a glare.

Severus charmed some quills into crayons and grabbed a piece of parchment before placing Harry on the floor before the coffee table. Harry picked up the crayons quickly and began scribbling on the parchment contentedly. After a few minutes Harry looked around, “Dwaco no color?” He asked shyly looking over to where Draco still stood scowling at Severus. The expression fled his face when he saw Harry’s slightly pouting form. With a resigned sigh, he lowered himself to the floor, picked up a crayon, and joined Harry.

Smiling Severus went to the couch after picking a book from his many bookshelves; content to read while the other two colored. Unfortunately, their comfortable silence was disturbed by and incessant pounding at the door. Draco looked questioningly at him silently asking him if he was expecting anyone before looking over at Harry who was slowly crawling under the table. Quickly Draco dragged Harry out and cuddled him to his chest as Severus went to the door.

Upon opening his door, Severus immediately adopted his famous scowl. “What do you want?” The occupants at the door mentally shivered but held their own.

“We were told that Harry was here sir. We wanted to see him.” Thankfully, it was the irritatingly smart and respectful girl that answered him, he wasn’t sure he would have been able to handle the stupidity of the other.

“The boy will not recognize you. He is still in the form of a two-year-old and will be staying that way for a while yet. Now if you don’t mind we were enjoying a pleasant evening. He began to close the door in their faces.

“Please sir, just let us see him, we need to know that he is alright. He was screaming rather loudly in the classroom and we are worried about him.” The girl looked at him with such a pitiful look that Severus opened his door widely so he wouldn’t have to look at her anymore.

“You have five minutes.” He growled out and went back to the couch. He saw Draco still cuddling the now crying form of Harry and dropped his scowl. “Look Harry. There are people here who want to see you. Say hello to them.”

Draco looked up in surprise, knowing that Severus wouldn’t let just anyone into his rooms. He scowled when he saw who it was. “Weasley. Granger.” He nodded respectfully to each of them; he was a Malfoy still after all. The other two ignored him, their eyes riveted on the toddler he held in his arms.

“What the hell is this? Why are you here? Let him go!” Weasley made to move forward but Harry had started crying louder than he was before, clinging to Draco’s shirt desperately.

“Please do stop your incessant chatter immediately Weasley. Before you both came in, he was quiet and content. You see him; he is perfectly healthy as are his lungs as you can see. Now please do remove both of yourselves from my rooms before I am forced to do it for you.” He glared at them for good measure and watched them scurry out of his rooms. He turned his attention back to Draco and the bawling toddler in his arms. “Come now Harry, they’re gone now. See? Why don’t you show me your picture you’ve been coloring.”

Slowly Harry began to calm down and climbed down from Draco’s lap. He went over to his picture and held it up proudly for Severus to see. “Very nice Harry. You did a very good job. Would you like to draw another one?” Upon Harry’s excited nod, he summoned another parchment and Harry set to work. Over Harry’s form, Severus and Draco shared a small smile.

A few hours later Severus sent Draco to the Great Hall for dinner while he ordered in for Harry and himself. It was important that Draco still be with his peers even though he was helping him out with Harry. Again, he had to coax Harry into eating; he simply couldn’t let the child go without food no matter how much he protested, the child was so small! Even for the age that he now was.

Once Harry had finally started to cautiously eat, the meal went without a hitch, thankfully. Draco had come back after his own meal but Severus told him to go to his common room and to come back tomorrow morning after breakfast. It was time that Severus got to know the child better, so that he knew to what extent Harry needed help.

Harry was sitting in his high chair looking at the now mini Merlin’s, run across his cloth that was around his neck. Smiling slightly Severus wiped the child’s face clean before removing the cloth. “How was your meal Harry? Did you like it?”

Harry looked him in the eyes for a moment before enthusiastically nodding his head. “Yup, Dey was aminals!” Harry quickly shut his mouth after his loud exclamation and looked at Severus in fear, afraid that he had said something he shouldn’t have. Ignoring the fear in the child’s eyes Severus smiled widely at him, something that many students would faint instantly upon seeing on his usually stoic face. “That’s wonderful Harry. Do you like animals?” Harry again nodded enthusiastically but this time said nothing, still afraid that he had done something wrong. “Do you have a favorite animal Harry?” Severus looked expectantly at the child expecting a long list of animals that were his favorites.

Harry surprisingly shook his head in the negative. “I dun have a favorite aminal.” He whispered quietly, slightly muffled because he buried his head into Severus’ shirt. Surprised Severus tried digging a little deeper. “How come Harry?”

“Anny ‘Unia and Unle Bernon no let me see aminals, ony in Duddy’s ‘ooks.” Severus watched Harry with concern when he felt little fists grab onto his shirt, tighter than what they already were. “Harry, do you want to see some animals tomorrow when we are done shopping? Would you like that?” Harry nodded softly into his shirt. “Okay then Harry we’ll do that tomorrow too. I think its time for bed little one.”

Going into the bedroom, he pulled out a sleeper and went into the bathroom. He had a small problem getting Harry to let go of him but when he did he placed him on the table and dressed him for bed. Harry for his part was exhausted. The poor boy had had a long day, so when he was placed into his cot there was no complaint, not that Severus was expecting any. “Goodnight Harry.”

What is everyone waiting for? Get moving!” Satisfied he moved to sit behind his desk and grabbed a pile of second year Ravenclaw-Hufflepuff papers. This being the perfect time, what with it quiet and all, he started grading them with his favorite red ink. He was jolted from his work when there was a cry. He looked around and saw all his students doing their work, not one of them was talking. So who was crying? The crying became louder and louder…

Severus jolted awake. Listening he realized the crying that he had heard wasn’t from his dream but from the young child in his rooms. Quickly he untangled himself from his sheets and went over to the cot that was in the corner. Peering into the cot, he expected to see Harry standing and holding the bars with tears coming down his pale cheeks. Instead, what he saw was alarming. The child was still asleep but was apparently having nightmare for he was screaming and crying still. Gently Severus reached into the cot and gently shook him, “Harry baby, come on wake up now.” He continued in this manner for a few minutes before Harry started to finally wake up.

Harry looked up frightened. He was expecting his Uncle to be there readying his hand to slap him. He cringed back in preparation for what was to come. Cautiously Harry peeked open an eye when nothing seemed to happen. Looking up again he saw Severus there instead of his uncle. He jumped up from his lying down position and raised his arms to Severus. Quickly though he realized what he had done and lowered his arms instantly and sat back down in his cot, no longer looking up at Severus.

Quickly upon seeing the child’s actions, he lifted him up into his arms and held him close, rubbing his back gently hoping to sooth and relax him. “It’s alright Harry.” Harry for his part was still frightened but listened to the words being said to him and began to calm down. If he was older he may have understood why he had jumped up and wanted Severus to hold him, but what he did know was that this man was nice, when really he felt safe with the man. “Better now Harry? Let’s go get you some breakfast and then get you cleaned up.”

They were interrupted from their meal when there was a knock on the door. As Severus was getting up to answer it the door just burst open and a blonde head popped inside. “Hello there Sev, Harry! Are we going to go?”

Shaking his head Severus returned to where Harry was, sitting in his chair looking at his cloth. “In a moment Draco, I need to get Harry cleaned up then get myself dressed. Unless that is you would like to get him ready for me?” He looked expectantly at Draco, who just gave a sigh and picked Harry up from his chair.

“Come on Harry, let’s get you ready so we can leave. You’re going to really like Hogsmeade…” Severus shook his head at his godsons rambling, oh, he knew it was to keep Harry calm, but honestly, the boy could just keep going sometimes. He went back to his rooms and continued to get ready for a long day of shopping.

“Okay then Harry, your nappy is secured, your face is washed, your hair is messy not that we can fix that, what am I forgetting?” Draco stared over Harry for a while who was sitting on the bathroom counter staring back at Draco. Now what am I missing?

“I thought you were going to get him dressed Draco. He cannot go out in just his nappy.” Severus’ long drawl flooded the room. Draco looked into the room to see Severus standing there with a smirk on his face.

“I knew I forgot something, come on Harry, I think that there is a shrunken robe in the room somewhere.” He grabbed Harry and moved into the next room. Harry was staring at Severus from over his shoulder with a small smile on his little face.

A few minutes later Draco came out bouncing Harry as he went. “Okay Sev we’re ready now. Yes, yes I know it took us long enough. Come on let’s go.” They headed for the door, a scream stopped their progress through it. “Uh Harry what’s wrong?” Confused Draco looked to Severus for an answer. Harry continued to scream and cry, although not very loud since he was still afraid of what might happen.

Severus took Harry from Draco’s arms and held him close, gently rocking him back and forth. He knew instantly what the problem was, remembering from yesterday when the boys friends came to his rooms. “It’s okay little one. I’m not going to let you go I promise. It will be alright, no one will come near you I promise Harry.” Harry started to calm down. “Can we leave the rooms now Harry?” he looked down at Harry who cuddled himself further in his arms. Harry slowly nodded his head and Severus quickly left the rooms holding Harry tighter than before.

By the time they reached the doors, Harry had buried himself as deep as physically possible into Severus and whimpered quietly. Severus for his part kept pulling Harry closer to himself every time they passed another student in the halls. Pushing the front doors open, he quickly descended the stairs with Draco trailing only a few steps behind. They followed the path that the students used when going into Hogsmeade since it was the easiest way into the village with Harry.

It was a beautiful day, what with the sun shining brightly overhead and the birds chirping. There was only a slight breeze making it a little chilly, however it was expected seeing, as winter would be approaching soon. The path was quiet and Harry gradually peeked his head out from the safety of Severus and shyly looked around. His eyes lit up with excitement when he saw a brown blur run across their path. He stretched a little but from Severus to get a better look at the creature that had passed them and Severus stopped to give Harry a chance to see him. “That’s a rabbit Harry.”

They continued their way into the village Draco and Severus casually pointing out the animals that they saw. There was a loud rustle and bustle in the village when they made it and Harry once again buried himself as humanly possible to Severus. Holding the little boy tightly he directed Draco to the nearest clothing store.

“Can I help you gentlemen?” A kindly old woman asked.

“Where are the children’s clothing?” Severus asked curtly, not bothering to tell her if they needed her help or not.

“They are in the back. If you would like I can take the tyke and measure him up for you. I will also be able to help pick out some clothing for him as well.” She reached forward to pluck Harry out of his arms. Severus jerked away from the lady glaring, rubbing comforting circles on Harry’s back.

“That will not be needed ma’am. We will take care of it ourselves thank you.” Draco answered curtly with a glare in place. He brushed past the old woman and went to the back of the store, Severus following with Harry.

“This would be much easier if I knew those basic spells that most parents know.” They came across the dilemma of not knowing which size clothing Harry would wear. It was simple apparently for the younger infants, they had everything categorized by months, but it seemed to end once that baby hit a year and a half. So the two resorted to trying different size clothing on a very harassed looking Harry. “Come on Harry I know this has to be your size, we’ve tried every other one.” Severus tried to pull the robe over the protesting toddlers head. After wrestling the toddler for a minute, he managed to pull the dark green robe over his head. “There Harry see I think we finally found your size!” Severus picked the child up and swung him around, though discreetly, it wouldn’t due to ruin his image that much.

Between Severus and Draco, they picked out day robes, nighties, winter robes, scarves and mittens, and some little sneakers. They picked out all different types of robes due to the fact that they didn’t know how long they would keep Harry a child, so they picked up everything.

They moved onto the next store, which sold the basics for having a baby. They picked up a bundle of nappies and a few cloths that a reluctant Harry picked out. Moving out of the store, they moved quickly to the next one, they had hoped Harry would become a little less shy as they went but it wasn’t happening that way, if anything Harry was even clingier. Currently he was in Draco’s arms and clutching his robes tightly in his small fists. Severus quickly ushered Draco in front of him into the bookstore. He sent Draco into the children’s section to pick out a few books for Harry, while he himself went into the parenting section.

Quickly looking to see if anyone was watching him, he quickly walked down the aisle scanning the shelves for something useful. He quickly located the book, The Spells of surviving Parenthood. He left the aisle as quickly as possible and went to join Draco and Harry.

“Come on Harry. Help me pick one out.” Draco was sitting on the floor with Harry in his lap holding up a book with a small boy on a broom on the cover. Harry was cranky, even someone who didn’t know children could recognize that, that little boy needed a nap.

“Just pick out a few of them Draco. I believe it’s time to go and put Harry down for a nap, I’ll continue this later, we should be fine for now.” Severus said taking the books that Draco handed him up to the counter along with his own. Paying for them, they left the store and headed back onto the trail that led them to the school.

They had made it back to his rooms and Harry was napping currently. Severus plopped down, rather gracefully since he wouldn’t do it any other way, on the couch with Draco sitting next to him.

“Well that wasn’t so bad Sev.”

“Draco this was only the beginning. Harry very nearly went into panic every time there were other people around. What will happen when he accompanies me to classes hmm?” Severus laid back and pinched the bridge of his nose hoping to elevate the headache that was beginning to form.

Draco had no response for him. What should they expect? “What book did you get from the store? I saw you walking over with one.”

“I picked up a spell book for parenting. I thought it wise to learn the basics, more than likely it will come in handy. Perhaps you should read a few of them as well, as you will be helping me.” He turned to stare at Draco making it obvious that he would be helping him.

“Oh alright fine, I guess it couldn’t hurt, but I am warning you now I am not changing a nappy!” Severus laughed right in his face at that exclamation. He knew that he would if only because Severus wasn’t around and the stench got to him. He could just imagine Draco leaning over a crying Harry cautiously putting his hand out to remove the soiled nappy only to pull it away quickly as if it were curse.

Still laughing he moved into his bedroom to check on Harry. Draco sat there pouting over having Severus laugh at him. He didn’t think it was very funny!