Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Chapter 3

The night was a rather difficult one if Severus may say so. Harry had woken up at two in he morning crying. Severus found himself floundering, going from one end of the room to the other, trying to find what would make Harry stop crying. He had changed the soiled nappy, given Harry some milk and even read him a story. What finally got Harry back to bed was gentle rocking, apparently all he wanted was to be held, how ironic!

Severus had been awoken once again but at a reasonable hour this time, seven. Reasonable only because he had classes to teach that day. Yes that’s right this would be the first day that Harry would accompany him to classes. Getting up he noticed that Harry was still sleeping, meaning that his self-set alarm had awoken him that time. Retreating to the bathroom, he showered and readied himself for the day.

Once he himself was ready, he went over to the crib and gently picked Harry out of it and went into the bathroom. He figured he had better change the child’s nappy now than have to worry about it when he woke up later on, no doubt in the middle of his first classes of the day. When Harry started moaning on the table, Severus gently cooed to him, though he wouldn’t ever admit it to anyone, and rubbed his stomach soothing him back to a relaxed sleep.

When Harry was cleaned up Severus laid him on the living room couch and went to pack a small bag of essentials for Harry, but not before placing a boundary charm on the couch to ensure Harry wouldn’t roll off it. He packed nappies, a few of the picture books and a few things of juice and milk that he got from the house elves. He shrunk the bag, went back out to collect Harry, and proceeded to his classroom.

Once in the room he pulled out his wand with the hand that was not currently holding a sleeping Harry and conjured a crib-like bed, only this one was closer to the floor. Laying down a blanket he also brought with him he layed Harry atop it and settled the crib-like pen into the back corner. Unshrinking the bag that he had placed in his pocket he settled it next to the pen and placed an alarm over the area to allow him to know when Harry awoke, thankful once again for the book he purchased the day before.

There was only fifteen minutes before classes were to start but he suspected that some students would start filing in, in five minutes. No one wanted to be late for his classes; they all knew the consequences for it. Looking over his schedule, he noted that the first class was with second year Ravenclaws and Hufflepuffs. He let out a sigh, thankful he wouldn’t be teaching Gryffindors and Slytherins early in the morning. Who knows what they would have done when they saw Harry, better for him to wake up to a mellower group. Checking on Harry once more, he returned to his desk and settled behind it, preparing, mentally that is, to teach his first classes.

Precisely five minutes later students did indeed start arriving. All chatter stopped when they entered the room, finding their potions professor already sitting at his desk. This was an unusual occurrence. He usually swept into the room right when the bell rang. However, a few students had spotted the pen in the corner of the room and were quietly whispering to one another about it. Severus put up his most intimidating look to quickly stop their whispering. He didn’t need Harry to wake up now.

When the bell rang, he stood up and spelled the board with directions on the potion they would be brewing today. Quietly he spoke up, “I hope you all did your reading I assigned you, you will need it to do this potion correctly. You have one hour get moving and no talking.” He went back behind his desk and leaned back. He casually waved his wand so that the back cupboard unlocked and the students smartly gathered their ingredients and began to work.

Every ten minutes or so he went throughout the classroom checking the progress of the potions and pointing out the mistakes they had made and barking at them to fix them. Forty minutes into the class, a quiet alarm went off, making all the students jump and look around curiously. Severus moved form the back of the room where he was checking over some Ravenclaws potion and went to where Harry was.

Harry rolled over in the pen clutching the blanket in his small hands. Slowly he opened his eyes, only to be put into a panic when he saw several others staring back at him. He quickly sat up and scooted to the farthest corner of the pen away from all the unknown people. He let out a whimper when he couldn’t spot Severus or Draco anywhere. He flinched when he was suddenly lifted up into some ones arms. He began to push away but he heard a familiar whispering just above his ear. He lifted his head so he could see the person’s eyes and found familiar black orbs staring back at him. He launched himself deeper into the black folds of Severus’ robe, grabbing on with all his might.

Severus, satisfied that Harry was fine in his arms, turned around to meet the rest of the classes eyes. Scowling he moved to the front of the room. “There is only fifteen minutes left of class I suggest you all get moving and finish up your potions, bottle them and set them on my desk. For al the potions incomplete you will get a failing grade for the day.” With that, he went to sit back behind his desk. Ignoring the class, he cradled Harry trying to coax him out of his robes. This was going to be more difficult than he first thought it would be.

After his first classes of the day, which after the first one Harry clung to him, he proceeded to his rooms for lunch. Only when they reached Severus’ rooms would Harry allow him to set him down, though he had to promise that he would be right back. He quickly ordered lunch and proceeded back to Harry’s side. “Harry, it’s time for lunch.” He picked Harry up from the couch he had sat him and placed him in his chair. Tying a new cloth around Harry’s neck, he went to his own seat to wait for the meal to appear. Within moments, the meal came and Severus served them both.

When they had finished lunch, Severus looked at the clock and was happy to note that he had an hour before his next class. Thankful for the break Severus settled Harry down on the couch next to him and closed his eyes. He was mentally preparing himself for putting Harry down for a nap. He knew it would be difficult; Harry was still on edge from all the students staring at him. Pinching his nose, he opened his eyes to find Harry crawling on his lap, flashing him a toothy grin. He gathered Harry to himself and rocked slowly.

“Would you like a story Harry?” He looked straight into Harry’s bright green eyes and smiled gently at him. Harry just giggled lightly in response. Standing up, Severus gathered one of the pictures books from the shelf and proceeded into the bedroom. Settling on the bed, he placed Harry in his lap and began the story about the different animals.

It took a half hour but finally Harry had fallen asleep on the cow. Looking once more at the clock, he gathered Harry and their things together and proceeded back to the potions classroom for another class, which thankfully were only Hufflepuffs and Ravenclaws once again. Taking a deep breath, he placed Harry in the pen and went back to his desk, replacing the charm on Harry.

Leaning back, he couldn’t help but dread the next day when he would be teaching Slytherins and Gryffindors. Sighing he sat up when the first students began to arrive.

Well he supposed that it could have been worse. After all his glare and Draco’s really did tone down the situation a bit. Of course these were Slytherins and Gryffindor, in the same room, with potions and an animosity that has gone on for decades. Due to this his favorite phrase of the day was, “Thank Merlin for reflexes,” though of course he didn’t actually say that out loud.

The day had started off decently. Harry didn’t wake during the night meaning he got a full nights rest and he woke at seven getting ready. Harry was awake but content lying in his crib playing with his little stuffed toys that lay in there with him. When Severus himself was dressed he got Harry ready for the day as well. Dressing Harry in his little snap robes (so that he wouldn’t trip over them) and grabbed the bag that he had prepared the night before.

Heading for the classroom he prayed that the class would be for once, however improbable, would be well behaved and have nothing go wrong. As soon as he thought that though he knew that something would go wrong. How could it not with these two groups together. He knew he wouldn’t have to worry much about Draco doing anything unless some one did something to Harry or himself personally, he wouldn’t start anything, hopefully.

In the classroom he once again made the pen and went to set Harry inside it, intending to prepare for class. Harry however would have none of it. He was tired of just sitting around and he finally let it be known, however cautious he was about it.

“Noooo…” Harry squirmed in the arms that were trying to set him down. “No go in.”

“Come on Harry, I need to get ready. You can play with all your toys and look at some pictures. Come on now.” Severus once again tried placing him in the pen, but Harry only struggled harder, even going as far as producing tears. Sighing Severus straightened up and held Harry to himself.

“Having troubles?” A voice drawled through the room. Grimacing Severus turned towards the familiar voice.

“Why don’t you come in and give me a hand instead of standing there. I am sure Harry would like some attention from you seeing as he hasn’t seen you for a while.” Without a response he deposited Harry in Draco’s arms.

Not caring Draco sat down at a desk chair settling Harry in his lap. “So Harry how have you been huh? Getting into lots of trouble yet?” Harry’s eyes got wide when he mentioned trouble and Draco quickly calmed him down with some soothing words.

“Draco if you could get him settled in the pen that would be most appreciated. He cannot wander this classroom while class is in session. His health would be at risk, in more ways than one.”

Nodding, even though he knew Severus couldn’t see it seeing as he had his back to them, he stood up with Harry in his arms. “Well you heard him runt. Let’s go look at some of your toys.” Barely half way there Harry started wiggling.

“No Dwaco! No!” A few loose tears leaked from the bright green eyes, making Draco pause.

“Come on Harry. Maybe if you’re a good boy now Sev will let you go around with him during class. Would you like that?” Draco knew Severus was glaring at him since he had no inclination to do as he said. Shrugging Draco continued to the pen while Harry was thinking it over. With Harry occupied he quickly deposited him into the pen and stepped back.

When Harry was seated he looked up startled. Tears quickly rushed to his eyes. “No, no no!” He stood up and held on the sides of the pen crying. “Out out! No wan’ out! Be goo boy! Be goo boy!” His face was growing red and his breathing was becoming ragged.

Draco looked to Severus rather wide eyed himself at a lost. Harry had never done this before, he had been too afraid before. Severus quickly came towards them and plucked the child up and into his arms. “Harry what is all this fuss about? Hmm? Stop crying now, that’s right good boy.” He looked at the clock that was in the back of the room and mentally sighed. Just great. The students will be arriving any minute now and Harry is throwing his first tantrum!

“Perhaps you should just keep him with you for now. I don’t think he is very willing to go into the pen. He seems a bit hysterical.” Draco came up next to him gently rubbing the child’s back in an attempt to get him to calm.

They both heard the chatter outside the door and Draco quickly went and took his seat in the front. Severus adjusted the child in his arms trying to think quickly. “Draco I want him to sit with you until I instruct you to start the potion then I will take him from you. I will not have the students distracted.” Changing tones he addressed Harry, “Harry, you’re going to go with Draco okay? Be a good boy and stay still with him okay?” Harry nodded his head, his breathing still a bit shallow, and reached out for Draco.

Clutching him Draco sat him in his lap and ran his fingers through the soft baby hair of the child in his lap. He was quietly talking to him when the other students started to arrive. Most quieted immediately upon entering, either because it was habit due to the dour potions master himself or the site of a child in Draco Malfoys lap. Draco for his part was ignoring everyone but Harry. He didn’t care about the questioning glances he was getting from the other Slytherins and the glares he was getting from most of the Gryffindors, he just continued talking to Harry.

The class jerked when the professor suddenly spoke. “All of you take your seats and get your books out to page six-hundred thirty two. Read over the ingredients for the potion. I will be lecturing for a small part of the period and the rest will be spent with you all making the potion itself. Get moving!” He looked at Draco he had already anticipated it and he got a nod. Good, that meant that Draco already knew what potion it was and what was needed for it.

He went behind his desk and sat down rigidly observing the class, always watching Harry and Draco more often than not. He listened to the conversation that was supposedly going on between the two. It was rather interesting seeing as Harry was partly speaking proper English and half babble which was nonsense. He was a little concerned about this however. It was odd that a two-year-old would have such poor speaking abilities. Most children, or so he read, were already speaking in full sentences even if they had terrible grammar. Harry wasn’t, he spoke in fragments with one or two words.

Telling himself he would think on it later he stood up again and addressed the class. The potion is a form of truth potion as you read the ingredients are…” He proceeded to explain the potion and took the opportunity to questions them, mainly the Gryffindors, about it. When he was complete he turned to Draco and took Harry in his arms. “You will now be making the potion so get to work.” He turned away from them and sat in his chair.

He had to get up soon to make his rounds but he knew Harry would not be left behind. A problem occurred though that he couldn’t carry him around, he would get too close to the potion which then is the fumes which could harm him. He turned Harry to face him and tried to explain what was going to happen.

“Okay Harry I want you to listen to me. We are going to get up and you are going to walk with me. Do not let go of my hand and no wandering off. Do not touch anything.” He stared at the green eyes which only showed confusion even though Harry automatically nodded his understanding, which of anyone knew a two-year-old they would know that he didn’t.

Sighing he stood and up and placed Harry on the floor and quickly picked up his hand. He tugged him gently towards the first few desks and stopped him when he stopped, steadying the child when he was over excited and stumbled. He peered calmly into each potion and made sure to keep Harry as far away from it as his arms would allow.

The incident came when he made it to Neville Longbottoms’ potion. He was so exasperated at what the boy’s potion looked like he flung both arms in the air. “You foolish boy have you learned nothing! The directions are clearly written…” While Severus continued his tirade at the unfortunate Gryffindor boy, one Harry Potter was walking away. He was curious as to what everyone was doing and what all the pretty shiny toys they were using were. He stumbled slightly over some of the book bags that were laying lazily on the ground and fell over into a table. He let out a cry when his head hit it alerting those in the room to the problem.

Sadly Harry falling into the table was nothing to what could have happened if it hadn’t been for Draco. While Harry had fallen on his bottom the table was a bit unsteady and the students work knife and potion was unsettled. Reacting quickly Draco dove to Harry and pulled him away just in time to miss the knife from crashing down on the boy. Harry’s crying was the only sound in the room as everyone watched the potion on the table. It was changing color and intensity rather quickly and many were just too afraid to move.

“Everyone down NOW!” Severus ran to Draco and Harry and covered them with himself just in time for the potion to explode. Thankfully no one was severely injured and few had to go the hospital wing. Harry’s crying was becoming hysterical and the Slytherins and Gryffindor were fighting over whose fault it was.
“I want everyone silent now or you will all be in detention for the remainder of the year with Filch!” Severus’ voice resonated through the yelling and all stopped except for little Harry, who was clutching onto Draco’s robes. “Those cauldrons that were not affected will be cleaned out and those with damaged potions will be left there. When that is done I want you all out, and no talking!” He turned to Draco and saw that Harry just would not be calmed.

This is only the first class of the day, who knows what the rest of it will be like!