Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Chapter 4

Making it to his rooms that evening after the classes were over was the best part of Severus Snapes day. After Harry had unintentionally caused the explosion of the cauldron crying was heard through out the castle. Severus actually had to cancel his next class (second year Gryffindors and Slytherins) so that he could get Harry calmed down enough that he could continue teaching the rest of the classes.

When the next class did finally roll into the room Harry clung to him like there was no tomorrow. Sadly this also meant that Harry had not gone down for his nap like Severus would have liked him to. He was simply too on edge from the happenings of early morning.

So upon entering his rooms he placed the grumpy baby boy on the couch and proceeded to order food from the elves. Glancing at Harry to make sure he was still occupied with one of his stuffed animals, he unlocked his cupboard and poured himself a stiff drink. I really am going to need to purchase more of this stuff if this keeps continuing.

Sighing he placed the drink at his spot at the table and gathered Harry into his arms to place him in his chair. Picking out a cloth with flying broomsticks on it, he tied it around Harry’s neck and settled into his own chair serving them both. Looking at Harry he noticed that the little boy wasn’t picking at any of his food and sent a questioning look at him.

“What are you doing Harry? Aren’t you hungry?” Placing a piece of lamb in his mouth he chewed thoroughly while waiting for the answer.

Severus sadly would be waiting a long time if he didn’t do something soon. Harry was not in the mood to eat. He was cranky and still a little scared at what had happened earlier that day. He whimpered and stretched his arms out to Severus asking to be held. He didn’t even think twice about asking, he was simply too tired to care if he would get in trouble or not. Severus answered the request and place Harry into his lap.

“Come Harry, you need to eat something, and then you can go to sleep.” He picked up a piece of chicken and placed it at Harry’s lips. “Open up Harry.” Harry sleepily complied and took the food into his mouth chewing slowly. They continued on this way for the next fifteen minutes until both Harry and Severus had enough to eat. Gently Severus stood with Harry in his arms and went into the bathroom to get Harry ready for bed.

When Severus went to place Harry in his cot Harry whimpered in protest and grabbed onto Severus’ robes. “What’s the matter Harry? I know you are tired little one.” He settled onto his bed and placed Harry in his lap. “How about a story then.” Thankfully five or so minutes into the story Harry had fallen asleep allowing Severus to place him in his cot and pull a blanket over him for warmth.

With a grateful sigh, which he seemed to be doing more of lately, he went back out into his living area and settled back into the couch with a book in his hands. Opening up to the first page he started reading. About two chapters later there was a knock on the door to his rooms.

Standing he strolled to the door with a glare ready for whomever may be on the other side. Yanking the door open he glared. “Headmaster, what can I do for you?” He moved away form the door silently inviting the headmaster inside.

“Severus I wish this was simply a social visit but I am afraid that I have some terrible news.” He sat himself into the armchair that he normally claims for himself. “Young Harry is in bed yes?” With a nod from Severus he continued. “Good good. I had heard he had a long day today. Anyways for the reason that I am here. It seems that some of the students with parents in the ministry have told their parents about young Harry’s current shall we call it position. As such the minister has contacted me and requested that Harry be turned over into the ministry’s care until a cure is found.” He gravely looked at his potions master waiting for an angry response. What he got was worse, silence. Severus Snape was a cynical man but when he was angry he was silent and a deadly silence it was.

Finally Severus spoke up, “The ministry, those who had claimed that Harry is mentally disturbed and unstable wish to take him into their custody. Those people who would bring him up, if no cure was found, to be a weapon for their uses alone. I will not allow it Albus. Those people, especially the minister only wish to use the boy for their own purposes. He is an abused boy who is as of now only calm in my own or Draco’s presence. They have no care to give him Albus.” Severus grabbed the rest of his drink from earlier and gulped it all down.

“I brought that up with the minister, though not as crudely. However there is much against you from your past Severus you must understand and this will be a hard and possibly long fight for Harry’s custody. There may come a time when they could and will possibly take Harry for a while until we win. I will hold that off for as long as possible Severus and know I am behind you in this the whole way. I have wronged that young boy too much in the past and if staying with you helps him I will see that that is where he will stay. You may perhaps wish to inform Mr. Malfoy of this current problem and see if maybe Lucius may be of assistance due to his sons liking of the boy. That is all Severus I will leave you for the night.”

He couldn't believe that this was happening. The minister of magic wanted to take Harry into custody? The thought was preposterous! That man had no value and no knowledge between right and wrong. Harry was no longer his confident teen self; he is a two-year-old child who couldn't even use the toilet, let alone judge if he was in the right or not. No he could not and would not allow this to happen. He had grown attached to the boy and he would be damned if that man took Harry away from him.

When he finally got his thoughts calm enough he went to check on Harry, just to make sure he was still there, for his state of mind. Seeing Harry in his cot sleeping soundly with a stuffed animal hugged closely to his body, he left the room for his own and settled in for a restless night of sleep, dreading what was to come.

---- ----------------------- ---------------------------------- ----------------------------

He woke up to the soft cries of the child in the next room and frantically jumped out of bed as soon as he remembered the events of the night before. Grabbing his night robe he quickly made his way to Harry's room. The child was standing in his cot clutching his stuffed rabbit with tears streaming down his red chubby face. When he saw Severus the tears stopped and the cries were whimpers in mere seconds. His lifted a free arm out towards Severus in a silent plea to be held, something which Severus quickly complied with.

He gently coaxed the child quiet enough so he was able to clean Harry enough to the point of presentable. He was greatly relying on Draco’s usual morning stops to his rooms so he himself could get ready for the day. Right on time there was a knock on his rooms portrait which then opened admitting Draco inside.

“Good morning Sev, Harry,” Draco plopped himself down on the couch next to where Harry was set moments ago. “And how are you this lovely morning Harry?” He looked down at the child who had contented himself with crawling into his lap.

Harry looked up at him with a bright smile. “I good Dwaco. Bakefast?” Draco laughed loudly while picking the child up and depositing him in his chair.

“Draco breakfast will be delivered shortly. I would appreciate it if you would eat with us this morning for I have something I need to tell you. For now I am going to get ready for the day and will be out shortly.” With that Severus swept out of the room heading towards the washroom.

Turning back to Harry, tying a cloth around his neck, he smiled. “Looks like it’s just me and you for now Harry. Whatever shall we do?” He reached over and lightly tickled the child, cherishing the laughter it brought forth. Leaning back in contentment they waited to Severus and the food to arrive with Draco wondering what Severus had to tell him.

------ ---------------- -------------------- ---------------- ---------------------------

Breakfast went smoothly for the most part with Draco throwing Severus curious glances. When all the dishes were cleared from the table Severus took Harry to a blanket that he had laid on the floor that was littered with toys. Bending down so he was eye level with the child he spoke gently, “Harry I need to talk to Draco for a minute so I need you to stay here for a little bit.” Harry nodded being too distracted by all the toys that surrounded him. Smiling lightly Severus walked back towards the table where Draco sat waiting, putting a boundary charm around the blanket for good measure. Sitting back down at the table he looked at Draco. Not being a man who beat around the bush he decided to be blunt.

“I was told last night that the minister has found out about Harry’s state and wishes to take custody.” He put up a hand to halt the young man’s words, “I know what you are going to say and I am going to tell you that I will not allow that man to have him. I..we have worked to hard to get Harry into this state so that we may help him. Now because of our actions we must face this consequence. There will be a trial of a sorts and the ministry is within its rights to take Harry until such a time as the trial ends. Albus has promised to do as much as he can to keep Harry out of their clutches but I am afraid to admit that even he can only do so much in this matter.”

He looked up at the young man to gage his reaction.

To put it lightly Draco looked a wreck. They wanted to take Harry away, away from people who actually want to take care of him and are more than willing to do so. He stood up in rage. “I am not going to let them take him. Sev they can’t have him! I...I...” He dragged off not knowing what he was going to say. Severus seemed to understand either way.

“I know Draco, which is why I need your help more now than before. No longer will I allow someone else in this school to watch over him. When he is not with me he is with you, and vice versa. I trust my colleagues but this must be done in order to protect him. This also means that he may be accompanying you to classes every once in a while when he cannot be in my potions class, due to the type of potion that will be brewed that day. Draco I need to know now if you are willing to do that or not.” He stared expectantly as the young man in front of him.

Draco was deep in thought. Was he ready to drop everything for this little boy? Give up what little free time, and frankly even the time he didn’t have to spare? With a jolt the answer was there. “Yes Sev I wanna help and I have grown just as attached as you, even if you wont admit as much.” He added with a chuckle.

“Good. Thank you Draco. This is going to be difficult but it is necessary to...” He was interrupted when a voice from his floo entered the room.

“Severus are you there?” The Headmasters head voiced.

“Yes Albus I am right here. What can I do for you?”

“He’s here Severus. Fudge is here.”

Draco looked at Severus with a furrowed brow, concerned at why the minister was there so early. He wasn't expecting any of this to start happening for a little while yet. Let the courts hear about it first before a visit from the minister came, but alas it was not to be.

“Draco take Harry and go into my room. Lock the door with every spell you know of and keep your wand out. I do not know how this meeting will go and I have no clue as to whether the minister has some of his people searching the castle for Harry as we speak, I rather him not find him so please do as I ask. Take a few of Harry's things into the room with you so as to keep him occupied. Do not open the door for anyone but myself. I will let you know when I return.” With that Severus left the rooms.

Draco rushed to gather some toys and necessities for Harry before lifting the boy out of his seat and taking him into Sevs room. Placing Harry on the bed he turned to the door shutting it firmly and placing every locking spell he knew as long as some nasty hexes that will go off on anyone who tried to open the door.

Harry who was unaware as to what was going on was looking around him with interest. He knew that Severus wasn't with him and knew he could now explore without being pulled away. He giggled with glee and crawled to the other end of the bed towards the bedside table. There were some colorful bottles on the table and he wanted to touch them. He reached out as far as his little arms could reach and nearly fell off the bed. At the last minute he felt arms pull him away from his prize and struggled to get free of the arms holding him at bay.

“No Harry you can't play with that. Here come play with some of your toys.” He placed Harry on the blanket he had placed on the floor with Harry's toys sprawled on it. When he noticed Harry trying to crawl away and towards the closet he placed the boundary spell that Severus had taught him. Harry ran into the boundary and pushed against it with all his might. He finally gave him and sat back on his padded bottom and whimpered looking up at Draco with watered eyes.

“Oh no you don't Harry. That isn't going to work on me. I know and you know that you are not allowed to run a muck in Severus' rooms. Play with your own toys for now.” He turned and sat on the bed with a book he had picked up and settled in to read. Harry his attention span that of the two-year-old that he is turned to his own toys and started playing contentedly.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Severus was currently sitting in the headmasters office fuming. This dumb forsaken man honestly wanted to take Harry out of his care. He has no idea about this boy. No clue as to what he went through before I had him deaged; dammit not even the headmaster or the boys friends knew about it. He scowled his fiercest scowl, the one that scared every student into submission, towards that pompous man who was sitting across from him, daring him to take the boy.

“Albus the boy would simply be better protected in the Ministry's care and would allow Professor Snape here more time to find the cure. Therefore I will be taking the child with me today, you will of course let me know when the cure is found. Now then where is he?”

Severus stood up furiously, clenching his hands into fists and the air cackling with his magic. “You will not be taking Harry with you.” Silence filled the room with his outraged statement. Fudge, being who he is, stood up and pointed a finger in Severus' face.

“Now see here. I am the Minister of Magic and you will not speak to me that way. I have declared the boy a ward of the ministry and as such is to be taken immediately to where hecan be protected.”

“Cornelius please sit down and let us discuss this like the adults that we are. Yes you as well Severus, well maybe you should move over to this chair yes that sounds right to me. Come take a seat my boy. Good. Now Cornelius I am afraid that I cannot allow you to take Harry out of Hogwarts. The child would not take well to the change in which case could cause severe damage to his mental state. Also since Severus is the one who deaged him, he shall be the one to care for the child. Even better he wants to take care of the child. I see no reason to not allow this. Now then Cornelius I believe we are done for the today so I shall escort you to the gates. Come then.” Albus led the dumbfounded minister out of his office.

“Albus this is not over, I will get a court date started immediately and I will have that boy in Ministry's custody!” Severus heard no noise as the door closed. He leaned back into his chair and took a deep breath letting it out slowly. Suddenly worried by Fudges words he rushed out of the office and down to his rooms with the sudden urge to make sure Harry was all right. He bolted down the moving stair case and ran past bewildered students his robes billowing behind him. He nearly yelled out his password before remember where he was. Running up to the portrait he gasped out the password and bolted inside. Going up to his bedroom door he screamed through the door, “Draco, Draco it is me open up. Draco ope...” There was no need to continue for Draco opened up the door ever so slightly, only enough to see a strand of platinum hair and an eye peek through.

“Tell me something only Sev knows.”

“Draco this is ridiculous open up!”

“Tell me.”

“Fine. When you add powdered toadstrull and eyes of newt you get a fume that becomes noxious and can put a person into a three day coma. However if you add in wormwood the potion becomes...”

“Okay fine I get it, it is you.” Draco stood back and opened the door all the way, enough so that Severus could see Harry sleeping peacefully in the center of his bed.

Sighing in relief at seeing the child he turned on Draco. “I do hope you have a boundary charm on him so he doesn't slide off the bed.” He took in Draco's frantic nods and sighed. “I apologize Draco for my shortness with you. The meeting was overly stressful and the minister is dead set on getting Harry in his control.” He held up a hand to stall Draco's response. “For now he cannot take him, however he is at this very moment taking this case to the courts and we will undoubtedly be called upon soon. We must be ready for anything. I would not put it past the minister to send some of his people to just take Harry out of our hands when we least expect it so let us not get in that position.”

“Why though Sev. Why does he want Harry so bad? I mean he has been tearing at Harry for a few years now so why would he want him in his custody, it just doesn't make any sense.”

“Draco there is something you have to understand about both the minister and Harry. Harry is a powerful young man. The wizarding world puts all their hopes into this young lad who is sleeping in my bed. He is the symbol of hope and power, of the light. Now the minister has made many mistakes over the years and the public is not happy with him. I do believe that he feels that if he had Harry in his control and away from an ex-death eater and a death eaters son the public would change their opinion of him. He is in it only for the publicity. This is another reason why I fear for Harry should the minister win. We have no way in knowing what kind of care he would receive.” He walked over to a chair that was placed next to the bed, he thought that may have been where Draco was sitting before he came, and sat heavily down into it.

Draco was silently mulling over what Severus had said. It all made sense really and mentally smacked himself for not thinking of it before. He looked at the toddler who was beginning to awaken even though he had only slept a short while and felt a wave of pity for the boy. Did he not ever get a break?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Harry rolled over onto his back and was looking up at the ceiling. He heard voices and rolled over onto his side spotting Severus. He squealed in delight and sat up. He started to crawl towards the dark man but bumped into the invisible shield. He sat back on his bottom and whimpered towards the man, “Up! Me wan' up!Pease.”

His voice quickly caught the attention of Severus who smiled gently at the child. He lifted the charm on the child and lifted him into his lap. “Well hello there child you have a good nap?” Harry didn't answer but snuggled into his shoulder putting his thumb into his mouth.

“He hasn't slept long so it's no wonder he is still tired. He had only been napping for about twenty minutes before you came back. If he doesn't go back to sleep now we're going to have one cranky toddler later on.” Draco was already making plans on how to get out of taking care of the kid should he not go back to sleep. He wasn't cut out to deal with a cranky kid.

Severus nodded to Draco in agreement. He took his wand from the bedside table and transfigured his chair into a rocking chair with a useful spell he got out of the parenting book he had gotten. He pulled Harry closer to himself and stated rocking slowly gently rubbing Harry's back hoping to lull him back to sleep.

He'd deal with Fudge later. For now he would concentrate on the child in his arms.

– - -- -- – – – – — – – - - - - - --

Needless to say even though Severus had rocked the sleepy child Harry had not fallen back to sleep. He couldn't understand why Harry would fall back asleep but he had a feeling the child didn't want him to go away like he had before. Draco had left in the hopes that Harry would fall asleep with just Severus in the room so he was left alone with Harry. He looked down at the child nestled in his arms and sighed.

“What am I going to do with you Harry? You need to nap child so close your eyes and go to sleep for me.” He was not about to beg to anyone not even a toddler and that was as close as he was going to get to it. Praying to merlin that the child would finally sleep he rubbed his back soothingly.

Sadly twenty minutes later found Severus and Harry in the kitchen with snacks in front of them. Harry was obviously becoming cranky squirming in his seat and his face gradually becoming red. Hoping to put off a tantrum he lifted the child into his lap and gave him a piece of banana to eat.

“After snack Harry how about we play with a few of your toys hmm?” He watched as Harry began calming down and popped the banana piece into his mouth and nodding happily to Severus' question. He stood up in Severus' lap once he had swallowed.

“Go play! Now, up up up” he bounce as best as he could in Sevs lap nearly losing his balance. Severus laughed heartily at the child's antics. Standing with Harry in his arms he went into the sitting room and sat on the floor with Harry preparing himself with a long afternoon of pretend.

An hour or so later the door to his courters was opened and admitted one Draco Malfoy. Mr. Draco Malfoy took two steps into the rooms and found himself with one Harry Potter attached to his legs. Chuckling he looked down at the toddler and raised an eyebrow at the kid. “I was expecting you to be napping mister.” He rustled Harry's hair a bit before giving in to the child's pleas to be held. He took a good look at him and finally came to a conclusion; Harry Potter had never fallen back to sleep after he had left. Oh dear Merlin! He may be all good and happy now but what about later on! Oh no oh no oh no I will not be around later for that! Draco walked over to where Severus was sitting, placed Harry back on the floor, and turned around to walk right back out the portrait hole.

“Hold it!”

Severus knew exactly what Draco was thinking, which made him smirk evilly. He watched as Draco tensed and slowly turned around to meet his eyes.

“Where do you think you are going hm?” Lifting his left eyebrow for effect.

“You know very well what I was thinking Sev so don't try and pull that. Plus I have homework that I need to get started on. This professor that is filling in for you right now is a terror. He is worse than you! I swear six feet on invisibility potions! There isn't enough about them to write that much!” Draco flopped himself unceremoniously onto the couch tucking his feet underneath him.

“That is preposterous. Your year isn't supposed to be learning about invisibility potions until next year!” Severus rolled the blue ball that Harry had thrown at him back to Harry watching as the runt giggled in delight. He saw the toddler lift it up and put it in his mouth and quickly grabbed the ball from Harry before the boy choked. “No Harry. Do not put the ball in your mouth, you roll or throw it only.” Harry gave him a toothy grin before moving over to his magical bouncing blocks to play.

“You know Sev he may be all lovey and cuddly now but in a few hours he is going to be a menace.” Draco smirked at Severus when the mans eye brow twitched in irritation. Ah how he loved to annoy him, one of his favorite past times really.

“I suggest you get started on that essay before I do something you will regret. Besides Harry here could never be any worse than you.” Severus smirked while getting up to get some tea for himself, only pausing when he heard the indignant cry from the teenager.

An hour or so later a house elf popped into the room announcing that their dinner was ready and waiting for them in the dining area. Draco put his potions books to the side and gathered up Harry who was destroying his small tower he had built with some blocks.

“Come on runt let's get you some food.” He flung Harry into his arms eliciting a giggle from the little boy. “Yeah that's right, stay in a good mood.” He placed Harry in his chair while Severus came and placed a cloth around his neck. “All right Harry here you go.” He placed some small chicken bits on the child's plate and settled himself into his own chair, serving himself a little bit of everything.

“No! No hungwy” Harry lifted a bit of the chicken and threw it into the center of the table.

“No Harry, no throwing you food.” Harry didn't seem to like being told no and threw another piece but at Severus himself this time. “Harry no. If you throw another piece I am going to put you to bed.” Severus was hoping that the small threat might affect the child into not throwing his food. He knew it was in vain though, he knew this was the child's grumpy stage from not having a nap earlier and he knew he would be putting the child to bed in a minute. This is going to be a long night.

Draco sat in his seat smirking at Severus. He knew this was coming as he had warned before. Not only was Harry grumpy from earlier but he was also two, as in the terrible two stage of his life. This was to be expected at some point. Thank goodness he didn't have to deal with it for long. He laughed to himself as he placed a piece of potato in his mouth. This will be very interesting. Harry through another piece at Severus blowing a raspberry afterwards. This will be very interesting indeed.

“That is enough Harry. Come on.” Severus stood up from his seat lifting a squirming Harry into his arms.

“No, no, no, no!” Harry started crying as trying to wiggle his way out of Severus' arms. He may not know what was going on but he knew he wouldn't like it. Severus brought him into his rooms. He placed Harry on his bed and placed a boundary charm around the child while he grabbed some night clothes for him, while Harry continued to cry and bang on the invisible barrier.

Changing Harry was no easy task but Severus managed to get the boy into his night clothes. He lifted Harry outside of the barrier and place the child into his crib and turned to leave the room, leaving a crying Harry behind. Shutting the door behind him Severus went back to his seat and continued eating his dinner.

Draco eyed him calmly. “Was that maybe a bit harsh Sev? I mean he is only two he doesn't understand that it is wrong to do some things.”

“Draco he is tired and grumpy and nothing I would say right now would sink into his head. He may be young but he does understand the word no. This will be fine. He will cry himself out and fall asleep.”

“Couldn't you have at least placed silencing charms around the room his cries are loud.” Draco sighed while placing his hands over his ears for some quiet.

“Sorry Draco but I do still need to hear in case anything is wrong.” Severus replied with a chuckle. “Though I do hope this will not become a common occurrence.”