Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Chapter 7

“All right you two we have to be at the courtroom in an hour. I am going to let you both up now so you can get ready. So curse me while you are moving so we make it on time. I am sure you want to see Harry but if we are late that will not reflect well upon us.” With that Albus Dumbledore let up the body bind on both Severus and Draco; which he had placed over a week ago. Luckily for him Poppy whole heartily agreed with the necessary restraints and helped force-feed nutrient potions to them both for the past week or so.

Both men upon being released jumped to their feet cursing, just as Albus knew they would, and stretching out stiff limbs. As much as they wanted to throttle the old man they both moved for the different bathrooms and quickly got ready. Forty minutes later Severus, Draco and the headmaster were standing next to the fireplace ready to floo to the ministry.

“Before we go indulge an old man by listening to these words of advice: Do not react to anything anyone says. Do not make a grab for Harry no matter what, the courts will not hesitate to use even the smallest twitch of movement against you.” He looked sternly at the two before him. He knew they understood the underlying hint; don’t do anything stupid. When he was satisfied he threw floo powder into the grate and was whisked away followed shortly there after by the other two.

Tumbling out they quickly wiped their robes to remove the dirt with Severus helping make Draco look presentable. He stopped after a growl from Draco and hearing the muttered, “Sev if you don’t stop I will hex your hair red!” Chuckling Albus led them to the courtroom on the second floor.

Upon entering the room the group of three made their way to the front left where a lone table was standing. Albus motioned for the two younger men to take a seat before sitting himself. “I am going to represent you, Severus, in this case since the courts deem me to involved to head the wizengamot court at this time.”

Minutes later the court doors opened once again admitting Mr. Jason Hafen and the Minister of Magic whom walked to the other lone table before taking a seat, not bothering to glance at the other group.

Glancing around Draco noticed someone missing. “Sev where is Harry? Weren’t they supposed to bring him here?”

Severus himself glanced around before turning urgently to Albus, who put a calming hand on his shoulder. “I do not know why Harry is not here. I do, however, plan on finding out, for he is supposed to be here.” With that said he turned forward once again just in time to watch the remaining wizengamot members enter the court room. Everyone rose when they became visible and sat when they were all seated.

The middle man, Coryn Crumpet, stood up naming the courts purpose, “Albus Dumbledore, representing Severus Snape in a case against the ministry represented by Jason Hafen and the Minister of Magic based on a one Harry Potters guardianship. Will both parties please stand to show the court that all members of those mentioned at present.” All four people stood up. “Good. If there are any early on issues that need to be mentioned that will not be dealt with in this court case speak now.”

“Ah, yes. I am afraid I have an issue. I do believe that in order for this case to proceed Harry Potter must be present.” Dumbledore gave a stern look at the other table where the minister wiped his brow.

“You are correct Albus. Minister, Mister Hafen, where is the child?”

“Your honor, I felt that due to Harry Potter’s current age, which is around the age of two, he is too young to fully understand the happenings of this court.”

“You Mr. Hafen may feel that way but the child must be present as was stated in the paperwork you received.”

“Yes your honor, I did read that. However, something such as this case could only harm the child’s mental state even further. I did not feel his attendance would be in his best interest.”

“Then I do suppose it is a good thing that you are not heading this case Mr. Hafen. I am instructing a fifteen minute recess, plenty of time I am sure for you to go and retrieve Mr. Potter. Do not be late. Dismissed!”

Jumping up quickly the minister and Jason raced out of the room and to the closest lift.

“Jason, where did you put the brat?”

“There was a unused room down the hall from my office so I placed him in there, there would be no way he would be able to leave the room or spot I put him in. I placed a few charms on him.”

The two men came to the aforementioned door with Jason speaking the unlocking charms necessary before proceeding inside. The two backed away from the stench that came from the room.

“Damnit man, what is that smell?”

“Sorry minister, I don’t believe the child is toilet trained and there was no way I was going to do it.”

“Quite understandable Jason. However we have less than ten minutes to make this...this thing presentable.”

Nodding Jason flicked his wand muttering a few words. “It’s a spell I learned a while ago that’s meant to mask things. In this case, the stench and the looks of this kid.” With that he grabbed the child and walked quickly back to the court room.

- - - - - - - - -- - - - - - - -- - – - - - - -

“I still don’t understand why the minister wouldn’t have brought Harry to begin with! The papers clearly stated for him to be present, they did say that didn’t they Sev?” Draco turned sharply to the older man, he was unsure about what he said due to the fact that he had not even seen the papers.

Severus watched as the boy flushed slightly when he raised an eyebrow at him. “Yes Draco, they did state just that.”

Severus gave off a sense of calm that if you were to somehow stuff veritaserum, as that’s the only way you would get this answer out of him, you would find that he was anything but. His nerves were shot, doubts about the case results and about the reasons Harry was not in this very courtroom damnit. Where was that damn minister with his child!

“Both of you stay calm,” Severus glared at the man, “Yes I can tell right through you Severus and I would prefer to be able to walk out of here with all of you and not one of you in Azkaban for any reasons.” Albus gave a triumphant smirk when he saw some of Severus’ anger leave and Draco’s anxiousness dissipate.

Thankfully the doors opened admitting the minister and Hafen whom was carrying, who Albus assumed to be, Harry. His lips pursed at the site. While Harry looked to be in good health, the child was silent and still. His eyes were not moving and there was no blinking of the eyes occurring. The headmaster, to say the least, was disturbed and praying that neither Severus nor Draco had picked up on the child’s state yet.

He looked to his sides and winced. Severus was glaring at the minister and giving his, if looks could kill you would have been dead hours ago, look to Hafen. I should have known that Severus would have picked it up.

Severus was not a happy man. He was furious, how dare these men bring Harry in here looking as he did. He was not a ex-deatheater/spy, well an alive one, for no reason. He lived and breathed taking in details, and boy was he able to see everything wrong with his child!

Severus turned to Draco afraid of what the boys reaction would be. I don’t want him seeing this. He’s young yet himself and shouldn’t have to. Severus gave the headmaster a look and pointed to Draco hoping to old man would catch his drift. Thankfully he did and was doing everything he could to grab the young mans attention.

The court started to walk back into the room, causing everyone to once more stand then sit again when they did.

“Now that the child in question is present this court may finally be able to do its job. Here is how this will work since a court case in the dealings of children are handled much differently than with a criminal case. I will first ask the minister and Mr. Hafen their reasons for the removal of Mr. Potter from Mr. Snapes care, I will then ask for Mr. Snapes side of the story so to speak and anyone else who took part in the care of this child. With that said and done, Minister I must ask you to please bring Harry up to the front and hand him to Ms. Jenkins for the duration of this court.”

Fudge grabbed the kid and quickly walked and none to gracefully placed him in the other women’s lap.

“Thank you. Now Minister if you would please begin your side.”

“Certainly. I had found out that Mr. Potter had been given a deaging potion, one might I add that had not been approved by the ministry”

“Your honor I must object to what he is saying.”

“To what Headmaster?”

“Harry Potter was not given the potion. He was in potions class, which has authorization to make the potion in question. It was simply made wrong as tends to happen, and the cauldron exploded covering Mr. Potter with the potion.”

“Thank you Headmaster. Sustained. Minister please rephrase your wording.”

Fudge turned a bright red. “Very well. Mr. Potter was drenched in the deaging potion. It was at this time that the school should have contacted the ministry of magic about what had happened. Instead Snape took the child without informing the proper authorities. Harry Potter should have been taken to the ministry to begin with to get the proper care needed or we would have placed him back home where his family would be able to care for him until a cure was found. I had Mr. Hafen take Harry Potter away for simple reasons; one being that Severus Snape is a known deatheater and well really what more is needed, honestly to put Harry Potter in the care of a deatheater in preposterous.”

“Thank you minister. Headmaster if you would please.” The judged motioned to the floor.

“Most certainly. Harry Potter, as any other student, was in class. Potions class to be precise. There have been many errors in potions seeing as it takes great care and precision to make a correct one. Students are known for mistakes. In this case Mr. Potter merely made a mistake; there is no crime in that. Taking responsibility for his student, Severus Snape, the potions professor, took Harry in his care until a time he was able to find the counter curse. He had been taken excellent care of him up until the point when Mr. Hafen and the minister had taken Harry. He did so with the help of Draco Malfoy and I myself checked up on them frequently to make sure things were well. Nothing was done to the child while in his care; in fact Harry was quite content where he was. For the record I would like the court to please remember that Severus is an ex-deatheater, I myself vouched for him.”

At this point all persons’ in the court turned their attention towards the child sitting quietly and unmoving in Ms. Jenkins arms, who for her part was trying everything she could to make the child respond. The head of the wizengamot looked at Severus Snape, watching as his face grew concerned when his attention was place on the child. She also gave a small glance at the young man at his side; Draco Malfoy had a look of confusion upon his young face, something that made the head of the wizengamot think about, what would have him so concerned about with Potter? Deciding to take this further Crumpet spoke up.

“This court will go into recess for a short time. During this time I wish to speak privately with each member. Starting with Severus Snape and Draco Malfoy. Of course Albus you may as well be present. I will have someone come out and retrieve you minister and Mr. Hafen when it is your turn. In the meantime I want this room cleared out of all specters except those mentioned and the rest of the wizengamot. Please Ms. Jenkins stay as well.”

Fudge and Hafen scowled at the group before grudgingly exiting the room.

Severus, Draco, and the Headmaster made their way to the front as soon as everyone left the room.

“I am quite anxious to hear why the three of you are looking at Mr. Potter in the way that you are.” Crumpet began, looking at Severus first.

“You must understand sir. Harry Potter while in my care was a…well he was normally a quiet child, not unlike he is now, but he was also happy. The way that he is acting now concerns me greatly. Harry was never stock still nor was he as silent as he is now. I am telling you sir that something has happened that we do not know about.” Severus knew he was acting out of the ordinary but his concern outweighed that of his pride. He glanced again at the silent child.

“Is this true, Mr. Malfoy, Headmaster?”

“I admit I was not in their rooms most of the time, but when I was there Harry was a very happy child while with either Severus or Draco here. It is very disconcerting to see him now.” The headmaster gave a sad sigh, “I must agree with Severus something has happened.”

“And what about you Mr. Malfoy, I am quite interested about your part in all of this. It was not unknown about your rivalry with Mr. Potter.”

“Yes sir we did have a rivalry. However we both stopped with the animosity a while ago.” He stopped and glanced at Severus. “There were some things that were very…worrisome about Harry before this accident happened and I admit I grew concerned. Which I guess is what got me into helping to care for him now. I do not hate Harry in fact I very much so respect him. Now I am trying to make some of our past up by giving him a decent childhood. Something I may add he has not been opposed to these past days. We get along very well.”

“I would like to inject here sirs and madams, that Mr. Potter while he has been two has not been comfortable in anyone else’s care without Draco or Severus present. I do believe he feels safe with them around.” The headmaster gave a sad smile, “and that includes around me.”

The members of the Wizengamot talked amongst themselves a moment.

“We wish to see your interaction with Harry if you would Mr. Snape and Mr. Malfoy. You may take Harry for a few minutes and we will observe and decide something from there.”

It took only seconds for Severus to reach Harry. He slowly stopped though when he saw the blank look in the child’s eyes.

“Hello Harry.” Severus reached forward and took Harry gently from Ms. Jenkins. He held Harry to his chest as he carried him to the table where Draco was waiting. “Say hi to Draco Harry, he’s very happy to see you.” Draco smiled at the child but there was no reaction.

Frowning, Severus motioned Dumbledore over. He was hoping for a reaction even if it was one of fear.

Albus slowly made his way forward, his frown growing bigger as he got closer; one because Harry wasn’t reacting, and two because he sensed a small buzzing around his ears. When he reached Harry he gave a small gasp.

“Severus there is a spell on Harry that wasn’t there before.”

“What are you talking about Albus, what spell?”

“I don’t know Severus.” Albus quickly walked back up to the observing court. “I am sorry to interrupt; however, I have found something. There seems to be a spell on Mr. Potter that was not there when he was taken. I would like permission to remove the spell.”

They all looked at him silently, before quietly conversing with one another.

“All right Albus remove it but be careful.”

“But of course.” He made his way back to the table. “Step back you two, I am going to remove it but be ready for anything.”

The other two nodded, stepping back slightly leaving Harry on the table unmoving.

Albus raised his wand slowly and mutter the two words that would reveal anything, “Finite Incantatem”