Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Going Home

The trip back to the Bed and Breakfast was made rather quickly. Not wanting to run into whatever dwelled in the forest, they had headed out as soon as possible. Now they were only minutes from the house, and were they ever glad to see the top of the roof peeking out from behind the high trees. Soon the trees became denser and the dirt trail appeared before them, leading to Del’s home. They tiredly followed it, and trudged up the steps.

Del took no time at all in opening the front door, and allowing the two younger men to enter the house. “Make yourselves at home.” she said. “And Harry, why don’t you lie down on the couch. You look exhausted.” she instructed.

Harry was too tired to argue, and did as he was told. He didn’t think he had ever felt something as comfortable in his entire life. He immediately dozed off, oblivious to the world.

Snape sat down on the smaller sofa catty corner to the couch Harry was lying on. Observing the boy as he slept was almost calming. He looked so peaceful, despite the bruising done to his face. He figured now was as good a time as any to get started on healing the boy’s wounds. Muttering a quick spell under his breath, and Harry shirt disappeared. And then Severus almost wished he hadn’t destroyed the Orb. Then he could bring back Jeb, just so he could kill him again, albeit a bit more painfully.

Severus could hear Del coming back into the sitting room, followed by the tinkling of crystal. She had brought tea, and then she nearly dropped it. He turned around just to see Deliverance clutching the tea set angrily as she eyed the boy’s chest and arms. “That bastard.” she cried, nearly dropping the tea set again.

Harry continued to sleep on, not aware of the turmoil in the room, caused over his state. “I know what you mean.” hissed Severus. “But there’s nothing we can do about it now. What’s done is done. I’ll need your help, Del.” he said.

Deliverance nodded in compliance and set the tea on the table. “I’ll get the healing ointment out of the cabinet.” she began, walking from the room.

Severus was thankful she had anything at all, considering his potions had been stolen when they were still out in the forest. He found himself wondering again who had destroyed their camp. He knew it wasn’t Jeb, and wondered briefly if Death Eaters had found out his location. If they had, they wouldn’t be able to stay here for much longer. The villagers would have to be notified, and Del would have to leave with them. He just hoped she wouldn’t put up a fight.

Soon, Deliverance returned with a basketful of jars, all of which contained some kind of healing ointment, and potions for various problems. She took out a jar containing some kind of amber ointment and handed it to the potions professor. “Use this on the bruising.” she instructed. These were from her own stores, therefore Severus didn’t exactly know what they were each designed for. He would if he could study them, but he trusted that Del knew her potions.

He scooped out a generous amount with his fingers, and began gently rubbing the ointment on the bruises littering the boy’s upper arms and chest. Harry moaned in pain, but remained asleep. Deliverance had also dabbed some ointment onto her palms and was beginning with the boy’s face and neck. Jeb had left finger marks on his neck, where he had tried to strangle him. They both knew they’d have to apply the ointment for a few days before the bruises truly faded, as they were done with such hostility.

“What about his back?” asked Deliverance, not knowing if there was bruising there as well.

Severus gently turned Harry over, so he was lying on his stomach. Then he got a good look at his back.

“Oh my God.” he gasped, and went from leaning on his knees to sitting on his heels. He was dimly aware of Deliverance cussing liberally, but was too engrossed in the teenager’s back. There was no spot of skin unblemished. He didn’t see how Harry had been able to move let alone walk. No wonder he was so exhausted. It looked as if Corwin had kicked the boy repeatedly and with vigor. He could even see the design from the man’s footprint in Harry’s back in a few places. He stomped on this child. Severus couldn’t speak he was so mad. He wanted to hit something, or break something, or scream. And he desperately wanted Jeb still alive, so he could kick him into the ground!

In order to save Harry from even feeling the anger vibrating off of him, he got up and walked out of the house. He didn’t want the poor boy to feel his anger, and he was damn sure he’d feel it if he stayed a minute longer. Severus considered taking an ax and going back out to where they had left the man’s body, just so he could hack it to pieces. But he controlled himself, knowing Harry wouldn’t approve.

He stiffly ran his hands through his hair, dishelving it. He was alarmed by how much he was beginning to care for the boy lying inside. He didn’t know how to react to this newfound feeling. But he knew Harry needed him, and he wouldn’t leave the boy to be hurt again. He intended to talk to Dumbledore when he got back. The boy was his now.

*****************

Deliverance wasn’t surprised when Severus left the house. She knew he was mad, and was almost glad he waited until he got outside to unleash his anger. She had been cussing up a storm, but was calm now, and knew she’d have to tend to Harry herself. She couldn’t help herself, though, and felt tears running down her cheeks as she looked once more at the damage done to a child. Lightly stroking the boy’s face, she had to stifle a sob when he moved into the touch, craving it, even in sleep. She poured out a liberal portion of healing ointment into her hand, and as carefully as she could, began rubbing it into his back.

Harry whimpered and tried to move away from the touch.

“Oh, baby, it’s okay. Shh…this will make you feel better.” she crooned, and Harry settled back down, falling deeper into sleep. A lone tear fell from Deliverance’s face and landed silently on the small of Harry’s back. She vowed to never let anyone harm this child ever again. He was like a grandchild to her now. This was her baby. If anyone touched him in anger again, they’d be getting a face full of Deliverance’s fist. She knew violence wasn’t the answer, but she was willing to make an exception.

*************

He slowly trudged through the forest, looking for the boy. He hadn’t wanted to leave him, but he couldn’t follow where they were going. He just hoped they had made it back alright. He noticed a house in the distance, and sniffing the air, he picked up on the boy’s scent. It was much stronger now. As he drew closer, he picked up a different scent, a familiar scent, and realized he had found them.

He peered out from behind a rather large tree, and saw the older man pacing out front of the house. He looked angry and worried.

Was the boy okay? He didn’t know, and this made him rush forward, startling the older man. He slowed down and crept up to the familiar smelling man. Nuzzling his hand, he let out a whine.

He wagged his tail in delight as the man called Severus patted his head and rubbed behind his ears. The Rottweiler began nudging the man, attempting to push him towards the door. He wanted to make sure the boy was okay. And then he barked when he wouldn’t move.

Severus finally gave in and let the animal practically steer him towards the house.

****************

Deliverance looked up when she heard the door open. And nearly dropped the cup of tea she had been sipping at.

“Oh no. No, there are no dogs in this house. No. Out!” she ordered, shooing the dog away with her hands. But the dog didn’t move, and Severus continued to look at her in amusement.

She placed her hands on her hips and started tapping her foot impatiently on the wooden floor. “Are you ignoring me, Severus Snape?” she asked.

“Well, yes, actually.” he received a glare at this point. “But he seemed rather adamant to come inside.” he shrugged off the older woman’s blatant annoyance.

“It is not sanitary to have a dog in here when that boy is sick!” she screeched. She nearly leaped into the air when the dog growled. “And its wild! Severus, I demand that you take that dog out of this house.” she demanded, worry evident in her face. “There’s no telling what it’s dragged in with it. He’s got a fever, Sev.” she ended.

“What?” asked Severus, forgetting about the dog instantly. “When did this happen?”

Without waiting for his cousin, he made his way back into the sitting room, and felt the teenager’s forehead. “You’re right, he’s gotten a fever again.” he sighed.

“I’ve got to get him back to Hogwarts, where he can get some proper care and a fever reducing potion.”

Del was saddened by these words. She didn’t want these two men to leave, but she also knew Harry needed more help that she could give him.

“And you’re going to have to come with us, Del.” stated Severus.

She looked at Severus in surprise. “Whatever for?” she asked.

“I think there are Death Eaters on the island. We’ll have to alert the villagers, and then we really should leave.” he said.

Without a moment’s hesitation she agreed.

Severus looked surprised himself. “What, no argument? You haven’t left this island in who only knows how many years, and you’re willing to go…just like that?” he asked.

“Yes, I am. This boy is like a grandchild to me. I won’t leave him until I know he’s going to be alright. But, you need to get him out of here. I’ll alert the others of the possible threat, and then I’ll come after you later, alright?” she asked. “I’ll need to close up the house, and pack a few things. Then I’ll leave.” she added, when he looked as if he might protest.

“Very well.” he agreed. A sudden barking reminded them of the dog. “I guess we’ll bring him with us. I have the feeling he might come in handy at some point.” he said distractedly.

“Okay.” she replied, as she felt the dog belonged as well, even if she had been trying to get rid of it. There was just something about him that grew on you.

Severus immediately grabbed what was left of their belongings, and shrunk them. Slipping them into his pocket, he went to retrieve the boy. He was still sleeping soundly, and he was dressed again, something he hadn’t noticed earlier while checking for a fever.

“Be careful.” said Severus, and gently lifted Harry into his arms. He wasn’t about to wake him, and thought it’d be just as fast this way. He hardly weighed anything anyways, and a weightlessness charm wasn’t necessary.

“I will. Be swift, Severus.” she watched as they left the house, the dog following closely behind. As soon as they had disappeared into the trees, she rushed from the house to inform the others.

*****************

Severus made quick work of the trip back. Crossing the river was much easier this time, as there was no storm to slow them down, and then he quickly disapparated to a point just beyond Hogwarts grounds. Making sure the Rottweiler wasn’t lost in the apparation, he quickly walked towards the castle, with the dog right behind him.

As the school was still relatively empty, he met no one on the way to the Infirmary. He wondered if Dumbledore was back from visiting his family yet. If he wasn’t, he would be paying him a visit this very evening, to ensure that Harry stayed with him from now on. Forget being a spy, Harry was his number one priority from now on. And besides that, he had a very strong feeling that Voldemort already knew of his deceit.

As he entered, he saw Madame Pomfrey handing Professor Flitwick a potion of some kind or another, and instructing him to take it once this morning and once that evening. He gave nothing more than a nod in passing him as he left and continued towards Poppy.

“Good evening, Pomfrey.” he greeted the woman, before placing Harry on a bed.

“Oh, is that Harry?” she asked, as she hadn’t even noticed he was in the Potions Professor’s arms until he had laid him down.

“Yes. He just needs a fever reducing potion and a good nights rest.” he instructed, but Poppy insisted she check him over. “Very well.” said Severus.

“What in the world happened to this child!” she asked, looking suspiciously towards Severus.

“Don’t give me that look.” he spat. “You know I would never hurt a child!”

Poppy had the good sense to look properly chastised before answering him. “I’m sorry, Severus. Yes, I know that, but I had heard from Albus that he would be with you this holiday. Would you mind informing me what did happen?” she asked.

“The guide I had leading me on my ‘mission’ turned out to be an indescribably bad idea.” he responded, clearly having nothing good to say about the guide.

Poppy didn’t look too pleased herself. “I’ll be able to heal these rope burns, but the bruises will take longer to fade.” she explained.

“Yes, Pomfrey, I know that.” he replied, shortly.

Madame Pomfrey spoke no more after that, feeling the man’s frustration, and continued to heal the boy’s wrists. She noticed that healing ointment had already been applied.

“He should sleep for a while, would you mind watching after him while I go find Albus.” asked Severus.

“No, not at all, Severus. But Albus is still with his relatives, he won’t be back for another three weeks.” she informed him.

“Ah. Well, I’m going to pay him a visit then. I need to speak with him immediately. I should be back early tomorrow morning.” he told the medi witch. “If he wakes up, tell him I’ve just gone to talk to the Headmaster, but I’ll be back.”

He smirked at the dumbfounded look on the woman’s face.

***********

Severus apparated into the modest farmhouse outside of Tuscany. Margery, one of the headmaster’s great grandchildren, had moved here years ago. After her marriage, he assumed the husband would be moving in with her. She wouldn’t leave this house unless death beckoned her, according to Albus.

He entered the kitchen from the entryway, and saw the leftovers from dinner. He was suddenly reminded that he hadn’t eaten in a while, and neither had Harry. He should have instructed Poppy to make sure he got breakfast. He figured he would just get back early tomorrow morning and do it himself, if everything worked out okay.

Upon exiting the kitchen, he found himself face to face with a strange woman. Her startled yell brought a man along as well.

“Who are you?” he demanded, pushing the red-haired woman behind him. “Albus!” he yelled, as he noticed the man’s attire. Neither of them were muggles, but they basically lived like them. At a moments notice, Albus had stepped into the small hallway outside of the kitchen and let out a sigh of relief when he realized who was there.

“Severus, are you trying to give us all heart attacks?” he asked, smiling. “What did you need, nothing’s wrong is it?” he asked, giving way to worry, when he realized Harry wasn’t with him.

“Well, nothing is wrong at the moment, but let’s just say we had a very difficult journey. Harry is in the infirmary, but he’s doing better now.” he explained. “Could we speak in private?” he asked, noticing that the couple from earlier were starring at him.

“Yes, of course.” he said, and lead the younger man into a nearby room. Upon closing the door, he realized they were in a guest bedroom.

“What happened to Harry?” asked Albus.

Severus quickly went into all that had happened on the trip, including the odd little experience with the snake called Aeden.

“So, he is dead then?” asked Albus, speaking of Jeb Corwin.

“Yes, the impact with the tree is what killed him.” he said.

“Very well, one less thing we will have to deal with.” he replied. Despite the happenings on the Island, Dumbledore was very pleased with how things had worked out. Severus seemed to genuinely care about the boy, something Albus never thought he’d live to see. If he had known this would happen, he would have done it long ago.

“There’s one more thing, Albus.” he added. “I don’t want Harry going back to his relatives.” he stated, letting it be known that this wasn’t exactly up for argument.

Albus looked deep in thought. “Severus, I understand from earlier that the Dursley’s had been saying some harsh things to Harry, but I’m sorry to say, that he is safest there.”

“Yes, Albus, I understand that. He’s safe there from the Dark Lord, but he’s not safe from his relatives. How do you expect him to defeat him if he’s too frightened to even deal with me, or worse, what if those bastards go too far, and kill him. Do you think about these things at all?” he spat.

“Of course I do!” said Dumbledore, defending himself. “But what do you propose we do with him? He can’t stay at the castle during the summer holidays, there’s hardly anyone at all to protect him. I wouldn’t ask the Weasley’s to take him; they’ve got enough on their plate as it is, even though I know they’d take him in a heartbeat. Really, Severus, what do you want me to do?”

“Let me take him in.” said Severus.

Dumbledore took a step back in spite of himself, just at the impact of these words.

“Are you serious?” he asked, disbelief clearly etched on his face.

“No, I just asked so I could see that utterly stupid look on your face. Of course I’m serious. I wouldn’t ask if I wasn’t.” said Severus, with the sarcasm laid on thick.

“And your spying duties?” he asked.

“I have reason to believe Voldemort is catching on. Someone had followed us onto the island and ransacked our camp. And no, it wasn’t Jeb, that’s not his style. He was only in it for hurting the boy.” he stated bitterly. “And besides that, the boy is my only duty now. I will no longer spy after this.”

Albus was truly impressed. “Very well, Severus. Harry Potter is now in your charge. I will make up the appropriate paper work, in case anyone feels the need to contest your guardianship. Of course, this is only if Harry approves as well.” he added.

“I’m sure he will.” said Snape.

“You look exhausted, Severus. Why don’t you take a rest before you return to Hogwarts. It’s quite late.” he said, but it was more of a demand than a request.

“I think I will, Albus.”

Albus gave him the guest bedroom they had been chatting in and left him to his rest. He had some papers to make out.

*****************

Harry awoke sometime that morning, feeling refreshed. He was rather hungry, however. Hearing a slight whining noise, he turned his head and saw a dog lying at the end of his bed.

“What are you doing here?” he asked, surprised.

The dog came closer in response. He nuzzled at the boy’s hand, and Harry complied by petting him.

“You really need a name.” he mentioned to no one. But the dog barked happily.

Harry seemed to think about it for a while. “How about Zach?” he asked. The dog shook his head. “Hmm…how about Quinn?” he asked. Still a no.

“I know…Zane.” he asked, and was glad when the dog barked, enthused.

“Good, Zane. I’m starving, how about we go scrounge up some food?” he asked. Zane jumped down off the bed and headed for the door. “I take that as a yes?”

Harry looked around the room, but Madame Pomfrey was nowhere in sight. He figured Severus had left him there to go back to his quarters for some peace. He was sad he hadn’t gotten the chance to say goodbye to Del, though. Dismissing his depressing thoughts, he headed for the door with Zane trailing behind him.

After they had eaten their full in the kitchen, thanks to Dobby, they ended up wandering the halls. Harry was trying to find someone, a teacher, hopefully, but so far they’d had no luck.

But then he heard footfalls, and suddenly Professor McGonagall was there.

“Harry!” she exclaimed. “What are you doing here?” she asked, confused.

“I guess Professor Snape brought me here. Albus made him take me with me over Holiday.” he explained. “I’m not sure where he is now, though.”

“Oh.” she replied, finding the thought of Severus and Harry alone together quite absurd. “I can’t believe he brought you here and left you alone. What was he thinking?” she asked, more to herself than to Harry. “Severus wasn’t in the castle this morning, and it’s truly not safe for you to be here, Harry.”

Harry felt his stomach drop in dread. “What am I supposed to do?” he asked, timidly.

“Well, I suppose I’ll have to take you down to Hogsmeade Station, so you can go back home.” she answered him.

Harry thought he would cry. After all that he’d been through, he didn’t think he would handle his Uncle very well. And he’d have to call him too, to pick him up. He was going to be so mad.

“Do you have anything with you, Harry? Clothes or your trunk?” she asked, not noticing the despairing look on the boy’s face.

“No, I don’t know where it is. I think Snape must have it.” he replied, but distantly.

“Well, I suppose I’ll just have to bring it to you myself later, then, but firstly, we need to get you home. Come along, Harry.” she said, and Harry followed after her, desponded.