Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

The Red Footstool

Harry walked down the dark, empty corridor leading away from his Potion’s class. Snape had excused him early due to his considerable headache and queasy stomach. He was supposed to be going to the Infirmary but he didn’t feel quite as badly as last time and didn’t want to bother the nurse. Thankfully, it was almost the end of the day and it wouldn’t be that much of an upset to miss History of Magic, his only and last class left for the day.

No one was in the corridors at this time of day; most of the students were in their classes along with most of the Professors. He briefly considered tracking down Dumbledore, if he wasn’t too busy, to ask about Sirius. Snape hadn’t found out anything from the headmaster earlier during the firecall, but Dumbledore had promised to keep them informed. He had promptly assured Harry that Sirius was fine and that he had probably just had a real nightmare. That was all good and Swiss cheese, except he’d felt nauseous and had a splitting headache afterwards. Those were always indicators of a vision, not a nightmare.

‘Things aren’t always as they seem, Harry.’ He recalled the words Dumbledore had said right before leaving Snape’s office with curiosity. The way the man had said those words was like some kind of warning. Well, not exactly a warning, more like Dumbledore had been trying to tell him something, but couldn’t. He’d been obsessing over it ever since. What had the Headmaster been trying to tell him? There was never any telling with the elusive man.

He glanced at his watch. The class period he was missing was almost over. Soon the halls would be filled with students trying to make it to their next class on time, or trying to get to the bathroom before it was too late. Deciding he didn’t want to have to deal with crowded halls and pushing students, Harry quickly slipped into an abandoned classroom as many other doors swung open and children sprang forth. The door closed silently behind him and he waited there for a few minutes, until there were no more sounds and he deemed it safe to leave his hiding place. However, as he crept from the room he was surprised to see another boy waiting in the hallway. Harry didn’t know if he’d seen him escape into the classroom or whether he just happened to be standing in the hallway of the classroom he just so happened to hide in.

“Hey.” he said quietly, startling the older boy. Apparently he hadn’t realized Harry had been hiding in the abandoned classroom behind him.

The blonde boy spun around and faced Harry. He stood there silently for a moment, seemingly to take stock of the situation. “What…were you hiding?” he asked. Harry could detect a hint of incredulity in his voice. Harry didn’t know what could be so astonishing about hiding in a classroom, but what did he know?

Harry shrugged his thin shoulders and stared passively at the blonde. “Yeah. But, the question is, what are you doing out here? Don’t you have class right now?” he asked, curiously.

Malfoy smirked at the younger boy and dropped his bag on the floor. “As it so happens, I’ve been excused from class this hour. What about you? Aren’t you also supposed to be in class?” he asked, sounding a bit too condescending to Harry. It grated on his nerves when people acted like they were the cream of the crop.

Harry ended up glaring, though he didn’t know why. Condescension wasn’t a glaring offense. “Snape excused me from his class, if you must know.” he said annoyed.

The Slytherin snorted. “Severus excused you from class? I highly doubt that. He never excuses anyone from class, not even me, and I’m his godson.” He paused for a moment, and then his face reddened a bit. Harry could understand why. “Well, I suppose if he would give anyone privileges, it would be you, his son.” He said, putting emphasis on son.

Harry’s eyes widened at the tone Malfoy used. Was he jealous? Surely not, but then why would he say it that way, as if he was jealous or at the very least, angry.

For a moment, Harry just stared at the older boy, wondering if he was mad at him. Finally, he asked, “Are you mad at me?”

Draco appeared honestly shocked at the question. “No, of course not. Why would I be?” he asked.

Harry considered this for a moment before taking a risk with his next question. “Then, are you jealous?” he asked softly. Harry winced slightly as the older boy’s eyes narrowed and he took a step towards Harry.

“What makes you think I would be jealous of you?” he asked, haughtily.

Harry’s eyes narrowed in return at the way the boy was speaking to him. “What’s your problem, Malfoy? I’ve been nothing but nice to you ever since you showed up at my father’s home during Holidays.” he said heatedly. “I even thought we were becoming friends, or something. Now, you’re acting like a pompous ass and I don’t understand why.”

“You should understand why. You’ve got a father who just so happens to be the only person in the world I’ve got left!” he yelled at Harry, who flinched at the degree of anguish in Malfoy’s voice. “Why should you get Severus when I’ve got no one. I’m his godson! I was his godson long before you ever came into the picture!”

Harry didn’t know what to say, what to think, or what to do. He actually felt bad about this, though he didn’t think that was the way he should feel. It wasn’t his fault Malfoy no longer had a father. The man had been a sadist and brutally beaten his own child when he refused the Dark Mark. It was Malfoy who made the decision to leave, not Harry. What did he expect Harry to do? Give up his father when he’d only just gotten him?

“Look, I’m sorry about what happened with your father, but honestly, what do you expect me to do about it? I won’t give up Severus just because you don’t have a father and are jealous that I have the one you want. At least, that’s the way it seems to me.”

Draco looked irritated. “How many times do I have to tell you? I’m not jealous. It just...” he didn’t finish his sentence.

Harry thought he knew what the older Slytherin was feeling, though. “It hurts?” he asked, and knew he’d hit the nail on the head when Malfoy flinched.

“Every time I’ve had a fall out with my father, I’ve always been able to turn to Severus. It’s just not the same anymore. You’re with him now, and it doesn’t feel right. I feel like I’m in the way.” he finally managed to say.

“Of course you’re not!” exclaimed Harry. He wasn’t sure what to do in this kind of situation, but he knew what Draco was saying was untrue. He could rely on Severus no matter what. He just had to get the older boy to understand that. “That’s ridiculous. You’ll always be welcome; you should know that. He would never turn you away, never. Why in the world would you think something like that?”

Draco grimaced, looking unsure. “It wasn’t something I could be sure of. The way father always talked, I was an inconvenience and not worth the effort. I didn’t know if Severus would feel the same way if he was forced to be around me on a regular basis.” he explained.

Harry’s eyes widened at Malfoy’s words. Draco’s father sounded and acted a lot like his own Uncle had when he’d lived with his relatives. Draco also had the same reservations about Severus as Harry had had in the beginning.

“Severus isn’t like that, Malfoy, I can assure you of that.” said Harry.

Draco sighed tiredly before leaning against one of the walls. “Things have gotten so confusing lately. My classmates hate me, my father hates me, Albus flipping Dumbledore is virtually my guardian at this point, and I’m feeling insecure about my place in the world,” he said, but Harry couldn’t quite place the tone in his voice. He sounded bitter and airy, if that made sense.

Harry didn’t know what to say to make things better, so remained quiet. He slowly walked over and leaned against the wall next to Malfoy. He waited patiently with him, wondering when he would next speak.

“I don’t know,” the blonde suddenly said. “I guess I just needed to vent my rage to someone. Who would have known I’d be venting to you, Potter.”

Harry smirked. “So, you okay, then?” he asked.

Malfoy shrugged. “I suppose,” he said, but looked as if he wanted to say something else. “I didn’t mean for you to think that I wanted you to give Severus up, or anything.”

Harry was surprised at the admission, but had to admit that was precisely what he thought the boy expected him to do. “I had wondered.” he stated briefly. “Are you going to speak to Severus about this? I think it would be a good idea.” He also thought it would be a good way to get this fool notion out of Malfoy’s head.

“Um…I’ll think about it. But, until I decide, keep this between the two of us, got it?” he demanded.

Harry bristled at the tone but brooked no argument. “Fine.”

Draco eased up from the wall and headed off down the corridor. Harry guessed that was the end of their conversation. He watched as the boy disappeared beyond a corner before turning to go in the opposite direction…and ran smack dead into Ron.

“What the hell was that?” he spat, furious. Harry unconsciously took a step back.

“What are you talking about?” he asked.

“You’re letting him boss you around now?” Ron asked, pointing furiously in the direction Malfoy had taken.

“No, I am not!”

“Then what was that? He’s forcing you to keep some horrible secret, isn’t he?” he bellowed.

Harry rolled his eyes. “Oh shut it, Ron. You don’t know what you’re talking about. Just because you don’t like him doesn’t mean I can’t. Grant it, he can be a pain in the arse sometimes, but he’s not pulling some underhanded scheme, okay? So, stop worrying.”

If it was possible, Ron looked even more furious that when he’d first arrived. Harry knew he’d been slightly insulting and rude just now, but Ron was always so…well, he thought there was plots behind anything the blonde Slytherin did. And at the moment, there really weren’t. Harry took another reflexive step backwards when the redhead took another step into his personal space. Harry briefly wondered if Ron wouldn’t hit him, he looked so mad.

“I can’t believe you’re siding with that…ferret!” he yelled, unable to come up with a better insult, or so Harry thought. “You say I don’ t know what I’m talking about? Well, I would if only you’d tell me! He’s not trustworthy, Harry. And I don’t think you understand what you’re getting into. I am your friend and I’m just trying to look out for you.”

Harry sighed and ran a hand through his hair, habitually. “I know you are, but there’s nothing for you to look out for. I’m fine. There’s no evil conspiracy, Ron. Please, believe me!”

“Then what was he making you keep to yourself, then?” he asked, edging closer. “If there’s nothing going on, then you won’t have any problem telling me what he said. We’re best friends after all, we always tell each other what’s going on. You always tell me what’s going on.”

Harry knew it was a simple thing to solve. Malfoy’s secret wasn’t anything big, but it was to Draco. And, he couldn’t just break his promise to Malfoy and spill everything to Ron. He’d never get the Slytherin to trust him otherwise. “Ron,” he began, but was interrupted by a voice from behind.

“He doesn’t have to tell you anything, Weasel.” spat Malfoy, rounding the corner he had disappeared behind just moments ago.

Ron’s face colored a dangerous red as he turned towards the newest addition to their conversation. “He can tell me anything he damn well pleases!” yelled Ron, clearly beyond furious at this point. Harry couldn’t help but feel torn. Ron was his long time friend and he felt compelled to back him, but Malfoy was turning into something at least resembling a friend. He didn’t want to do anything to compromise that. And really, it wasn’t Harry’s decision whether or not he told this secret. It was up to Malfoy, as it was his secret to tell. It wasn’t any business of Ron’s in the first place, either.

“He won’t, though, not about this!” Malfoy yelled back, getting into Ron’s face. Harry took a step towards the two, hoping he wouldn’t have to interfere if things got physical.

“What’s with you?” asked Ron suspiciously. “What is it that you won’t let him say?”

Ron turned to Harry and stared at him imploringly. “Just tell me, Harry. You don’t have to do what he tells you to.”

The Slytherin was about to object but Harry cut him off. “He’s not keeping me from telling you anything, Ron. It’s me. I’m not going to tell you his secret, and it’s not because he’s forcing me to keep it. You should know that if he was ‘forcing’ me to keep anything from you and it was dangerous, I would tell you. This has nothing to do with you, it’s about him and his personal life.” He said, trying to make Ron understand that Malfoy’s life was none of his concern.

Ron still looked skeptical, but was backing down. “I’m still not convinced that Malfoy isn’t out to get you, Harry. But, since you won’t listen to me, I guess there’s really nothing I can do, can I?” he asked. Harry got the impression that he was talking to himself, not Harry.

Malfoy smirked triumphantly and Harry thought for a brief moment that Ron was going to hit him. But instead he merely walked up to Malfoy and said something he couldn’t hear. The Slytherin gave Ron an indescribable look before nodding.

“I’ll see you in the common room, Harry?” asked Ron. Harry agreed and watched as Ron walked away, giving Malfoy a dirty look.

“What’d he say to you?” asked Harry when Ron was out of sight.

Draco stared in the direction the redhead had just taken. “He told me not to get you hurt, more or less.” he said, before glancing at Harry. “You have descent friends, Potter.” he said, almost as if it was an observation. Then he grimaced. “I’ll only let him get away with threatening me once. Tell him to keep that in mind, won’t you?” he told Harry.

The younger boy stared after Malfoy as he walked down the corridor wondering just what it was Ron had threatened him with.

…………………………

That night, Harry lay in bed, his mind anxiously turning over the evening’s events. He had spoken with Dumbledore almost immediately after his encounter with Malfoy and Ron. He had had no prospective news and Harry was growing more and more concerned with the lack of updates on Sirius’ whereabouts. Was Dumbledore keeping something from him? Was Sirius truly in Voldemort’s evil clutches and the headmaster just didn’t feel it necessary to tell him? Would he tell him if Sirius was being held prisoner? Harry only had to think about it momentarily before he realized that he wouldn’t.

The more he dwelled on the vision he’d had the more he was ready to storm out of Hogwarts and find Sirius himself. If he was truly in Voldemort’s hands, Sirius could die. He wasn’t going to let that happen. He refused to sit here and do nothing when his godfather was being tortured in the Department of Mysteries. His mind made up, Harry quickly got his things together, and made sure his wand was safely stashed in his back pocket. He pulled back the curtains from his bed and listened intently. He waited for the knowing signs that his friends were all asleep. He heard Neville muttering something about his grandmother, and seriously wondered about what kind of dream the boy was having. Glancing at Seamus’ bed, he realized it was empty. That could be a problem. It could only stand to reason that the boy was still down in the Common Room. Hopefully, he was with his newest girlfriend in a broom closet somewhere. He knew Ron was soundly asleep when he started tossing and turning in his bed. He was having a nightmare. From the sounds of things, it was about a giant spider. Poor Ron.

Pulling his invisibility cloak securely around himself, he slipped from the room and down the stairs. Pausing in the entrance to the Common Room, he let out a sigh of relief when he was it was empty. Once out in the corridors, he sprinted as quietly as he could down the flights of stairs. He had to stop a few times and got turned around when the staircases decided to move, but eventually got back on course. He had just walked through the Entrance Hall and was trying to quietly open the large doors, when they swung in upon him by an unknown force. He leapt back out of the way and jumped. Standing in the opened doors was Remus, wearing an old and worn cloak and carrying a basket…what was that? He couldn’t keep his eyes from the odd shaped thing, which slightly resembled a cat’s carcass that lay in the basket. Remus finally derailed his train of thought with his stern words.

“Harry Potter, I know you are under that invisibility cloak. Come out from under there right this instant.” he said and Harry cringed at the disappointment he could detect in his Professor’s voice. “What are you doing out at this time of night? Have you no sense?”

Harry couldn’t think of a reasonable excuse to be out traipsing around in his invisibility cloak. He remained anxiously quiet, waiting for Remus to either give him detention or send him off to Severus, which wouldn’t be pleasant either.

“Well, are you going to tell me why you felt the need to leave Hogwarts wearing that?” he asked, indicating his invisibility cloak.

Harry knew Remus would know of his vision by this point and there was no use trying to hide the truth from him. “I’m going to go help Sirius, that’s what I’m doing.” He said, his voice hard. He hadn’t meant to sound so mean, but he was upset that no one seemed to be taking this threat seriously.

Remus sighed, a look of sympathy crossing his face. “Harry, I’m sure he’s fine. It something were wrong, I think I’d feel it.” he said.

Harry grimaced in frustration. “And since I feel something is wrong, you’re just going to ignore me?” he asked, balling his hands up and ducking his head when his voice broke.

“No, Harry, we’re not ignoring you” implored Remus, suddenly enveloping Harry in a great hug. “I’m sorry you felt that way.”

“How else am I supposed to feel?” he blurted out, pushing away from Remus. “No one will listen to me, no one will tell me what’s going on. I don’t enjoy being kept in the dark, Professor.” Harry distractedly began folding and re-folding his cloak, his anxiousness causing him to come unglued. “What if he’s hurt?” he asked in a low voice.

Remus sighed and took Harry’s wrist. “Come with me, we need to talk.” he said, and Harry trailed after him.

Stepping into his office, Remus shut the door behind himself. “Sit.” he said, indicating the desks with a wave of his hand. Harry quickly took a seat in front of his Professor’s desk and waited for him to start speaking.

“I’m going to tell you something that I probably shouldn’t.” he started and Harry felt himself growing excited. Finally, he was going to find something out. Maybe Remus did know where Sirius was.

“The reason Sirius and Shacklebolt aren’t in communications right now is because they are trying to find David Dillard.” he said bluntly.

Harry felt as if his heart had just stopped beating before its rhythm took up at an unnatural pace. “W-What?” he asked, stuttering over his words in his distress. “They couldn’t find him?” He was confused. How could they not find him? He was lying on the floor in that room when he’d left him, dead.

“He wasn’t there when we got there that night, Harry. There were signs of a struggle, like you said, and we could see the indentation in the wall from the impact, but there was no body. Judging by the dust covering every inch of that room, we could tell that Dillard had walked out shortly after you did. You’re probably more lucky than you realize, having called the Knight Bus to you when you did.” he said, concern lacing his voice at what could have happened to Harry.

Shocked and dismayed, Harry stared at Remus sitting at his desk. “But, he was dead.” he said, unable to contend with the fact that Dillard was alive. There was just no possible way he could have survived that impact.

Remus sighed. “Harry, we think there was something different or wrong with that animal you and Dillard encountered out in the forest.” He began, and Harry felt his chest tighten at the words spilling forth from his Professor. “We found the animal when we found your Rottweiler, Zane. It was dead when we found it.”

Harry nodded along with the man’s words. That made sense. Maybe he was the creature he had seen and thought was dead when Dillard had been dragging him out of the forest.

“Harry, while we were out looking for you, we put the creature up in a pen at Hagrid’s to deal with later. When we got back it was gone.”

The Gryffindor was deeply confused at these words. “What are you talking about? Did somebody take the body?” he asked. He was watching Remus and realized something was wrong when the man refused to meet his eyes.

“No, Harry. No one took its body. There were paw prints in the mud around the pen. The animal, or whatever it was, walked away all on its own.” explained Remus, eyeing Harry in concern now.

There was something more going on here, Harry knew, and the more he thought about it, the more he realized what it could be. “So, when you say Dillard’s body wasn’t at the Jumbling Tower when you went to investigate, you’re telling me that Dillard got up and walked away as well, aren’t you?” he asked. Harry felt as if his heart had fallen down to his navel at this point. What did this mean? Some of this story wasn’t making much sense. Like, how in the world could that werewolf-like animal and Dillard just get up and walk off like that?

“We’re not sure what’s going on, Harry.” said Remus, as if reading Harry’s mind. “We think that the animal had the ability to regenerate itself, bring itself back to life. We’re unsure how it was able to do it, but when it bit Dillard, we believe it transferred this ability to the man as well.”

Remus had left his desk in favor of sitting beside Harry. Placing an arm around the boy, he pulled him to his side. “Everything’s going to be okay. We’ll figure this out and we’ll deal with it. There’s no need for you to worry about him coming back here, Harry. I don’t think he’s even the same person anymore.”

Harry could see in Remus’ eyes what he wasn’t saying. Dillard wouldn’t be normal anymore; he’d been changed into something unnatural. And there was the possibility he wouldn’t even have his mind intact. But, if that were the case, wouldn’t it stand to say he’d be even worse than he’d been before?

“Do you think he’ll remember us? What if he comes here just because it is familiar to him?” he asked, concerned for the other students and teachers. And not a little bit concerned for his own safety, as well as Malfoy’s. Dillard had wanted to murder the both of them.

Remus ran his fingers through Harry’s hair as the two sat quietly while the Professor seemed to think about Harry’s question. “I honestly don’t know. I suppose there is always a possibility. Just in case, I wouldn’t let my guard down, Harry. I’ll speak with Albus about strengthening the wards so those types of creatures, Dillard included, aren’t allowed inside the premises.”

Harry sighed. That would be nice, but he didn’t think he’d feel completely safe until the wards were strengthened. Suddenly, a startling thought came to Harry and he turned in Remus’ embrace to face the man. “What about Zane? Was he bitten, too? Wouldn’t that mean he’d turn into one of those…things, too?” he asked, growing upset at the thought of Zane turning into some kind of zombie. That’s what he was thinking of them now. As zombies. What else were they?

Remus gently grabbed Harry’s upper arms to gain his attention when he’d started to rise from his seat. He’d had every intention to go and see Zane for himself. “Harry, calm down. Zane is fine. He wasn’t bitten, and if he was going to change from any of the injuries he sustained from that animal, he would have by now. There’s no sign of a change in him. He’s fine, please calm down.”

After realizing Zane was still himself, Harry sighed in relief and slumped down in his chair. “Good. I was really worried there for a minute.” he told Remus.

His Professor chuckled. “I could tell.”

Harry grinned. After all the seriousness of the conversation had passed, he felt like he just should laugh hysterically to get beyond everything he’d heard. Harry glanced at his watch and realized it was getting pretty late, or rather it was getting early. “I’d better get down to the dungeons.” he said. “I’m late for breakfast and Dad’s going to be wondering where I am.”

When Remus didn’t respond, Harry looked at him curiously. “Are you okay?”

Lupin turned to look at Harry with a sad look in his eyes. “It’s just…odd, I suppose, to hear you calling Severus Snape ‘dad’ when I always thought you’d only call James by that title.” he said.

Harry cringed. He hadn’t even realized he’d said it. “I’m sorry.” he apologized, but wasn’t exactly sure why he was. “Does it bother you to hear me call Severus my dad?”

It hadn’t escaped Remus’ notice that Harry had cringed, as it turned out, and his Professor was looking regretful. “I’m not trying to make you feel bad about it, Harry. And no, it doesn’t exactly bother me that you refer to him as your dad; it’s just going to take some getting used to. As long as you’re happy, I honestly don’t care what you call him.” he said. Harry could see the sincerity shining in Lupin’s eyes.

“And Sirius?” he asked. He’d been worried about Sirius most of all. The man was his godfather, and even though Severus and Sirius had declared a truce of sorts, they still didn’t get along very well, and Harry had a feeling his godfather didn’t enjoy him referring to Severus as his father.

Remus sighed and placed his arm back around Harry. “It might be a bit harder for Sirius, grant it. But, give it time, and he’ll see just how good Severus is for you. Don’t worry about him, Harry. Sirius loves you, and nothing in the world would change how he feels.”

Harry hadn’t even realized he’d been worried about just that until Remus had said it himself. Hearing those words had lifted a weight from his shoulders. “Thanks, Remus.”

“Sure, kiddo.”

Harry waved goodbye and left the office. He felt more secure knowing that Sirius was probably just out looking for Dillard, but then again, knowing what the man had turned into, he wasn’t sure if he liked that any better than Sirius being in Voldemort’s clutches.

……………………………..

Severus and Harry entered the Headmaster’s office and took the pro-offered seats in front of his desk. “Lemon drop?” he asked. Severus declined the offer, but Harry took one, wanting something to do with his hands. After breakfast this morning, his father had informed him that Dumbledore wanted to see him in his office afterwards. Harry knew what the man wanted. They were going to try and teach him how to control his wandless magic. He was feeling extremely nervous about this. Would he be able to produce the same effect when he wasn’t under life threatening conditions, or feeling threatened in general?

“Harry, my boy, did you sleep well last night?” asked Dumbledore. The question took Harry by such surprise that he nearly choked on his lemon drop. Severus thumped him on the back until he was able to breathe again. The two were now watching him in surprised concern.

“Are you quite well?” Severus asked.

“Yes, fine.” he replied, wondering if Dumbledore knew of his attempt at leaving the castle and trying to save Sirius.

The Headmaster was still watching him expectantly, but Harry had no intention of telling Severus what he’d tried to do. He’d be punished, he knew, for attempting to do something so incredibly stupid. He wondered what kind of punishment his father would come up with. He doubted he’d be thrown into a cupboard or anything, but he still worried about that kind of thing.

After another awkward silence, Dumbledore finally led him into a room off of his office. It was basically empty except for a few chairs along the walls and what looked like a very cushy mat on the floor. Was he expecting Harry to hit the floor often this day?

“Harry, would you mind if Professor Snape held your wand while we practice?” he asked. Harry hesitated. He didn’t want to give up his wand. He felt to unprotected without it, but he knew he was safe in the room with these two men. Reluctantly, Harry handed his wand to his father who placed it in his pocket.

“I’ll return it when you’re finished, Harry.” he said. Harry thought his father was trying to reassure him.

Dumbledore suddenly conjured a plush red footstool from thin air and placed it in the middle of the room. It looked like something Deliverance would have in her home on the Island. He missed her.

“We’ll start relatively small, Harry. I want you to concentrate on trying to move the footstool using your wandless magic.” He said, taking a seat beside Severus against the wall.

Harry was standing in the middle of the room. The footstool was ten feet in front of him. He could do this, he knew he could, he just had to concentrate on moving the stool. Thinking back to all the times he’d used wandless magic, he tried to concentrate on the feelings he’d felt at the time to see if that would work. Most of the time he’d felt fear or he’d been plain angry. He stared at the stool, willing it to move, but after many minutes of staring down the footstool, it still hadn’t moved and he was developing a major headache.

“Agh! It’s not working.” he exclaimed, turning away from the damn object sitting on the floor and looking towards his Professors. “What am I doing wrong?”

“Perhaps you’re not concentrating hard enough.” replied Severus with a raised brow. Harry glared at him.

“I am concentrating, the damn stool just won’t move!” he yelled, frustrated. He calmed down at the look he was receiving from his father. He was going to get in trouble if he didn’t cool it.

Dumbledore sat quietly while Severus and Harry talked. “What do you think, Professor Dumbledore?” asked Harry tiredly. He couldn’t believe he was already this tired after the one attempt at moving the stool.

“What were you thinking about while you were attempting to move the footstool, Harry?”

Harry sighed. “Um…I was thinking about how I felt during the other times I’ve done wandless magic.” He admitted.

“And how did you feel then?” asked Dumbledore.

Harry hesitated before answering. “I was scared.” For a brief moment, Harry thought Severus was going to get up and give him a hug. He would have welcomed it, quite frankly. He felt weak and useless and tired. How was he going to accomplish this wandless magic thing if the only time he could make it work was when he was frightened?

Dumbledore was watching him through his half-moon glasses. “Why not think of something positive?” he asked.

Harry frowned. “Like when I’m conjuring a Patronus?”

“In a way.” replied the Headmaster. “Don’t focus on your fears, Harry. I don’t think you’ll ever be able to control your wandless magic that way. Just think of something positive…something that makes you happy.”

Harry found himself watching his father and knew all at once what it was that made him happy. “Okay.” he said, determination in his voice.

Don’t focus on my fears, focus on something positive…something that makes me happy…my father…love.’ In that instant when everything seemed to make sense, Harry turned his eyes on the plush, red footstool and said ‘move’. Instantaneously, the footstool flew across the room and hit the wall with a resounding thud. Harry’s large green eyes had grown impossibly wide as he stared at the stool now lying twenty feet away from him. “Wow.” he muttered, turning to look at his father and Professor Dumbledore.

“Well done, Harry, well done.” applauded Albus.

Harry smiled happily at the two men. “I can’t believe I just did that.” he admitted.

Albus smiled cryptically. “You can do anything you put your mind to doing, Harry.”

Severus nodded in agreement. “I’m proud of you, Harry. Excellent job.”

“Thanks.” he said, more than thrilled to hear Severus’ words. Harry couldn’t remember a time when anyone had said they’d been proud of him. He thought he might hug Severus himself, but refrained.

After the footstool, Harry was asked to move progressively larger things, like a chair, a shelf, and eventually a large, heavy bed Dumbledore had conjured. Severus broke the windows in the room and Harry was asked to fix them all wandlessly. It took a bit more concentration, but in the end he accomplished that as well. He even levitated Severus up out of his chair when Harry grew annoyed with the man for breaking all the windows. There were a lot of windows!

“You’re progressing along quite well, Harry, but I think we should stop here for the day.” he said when Harry stumbled after levitating a shelf over against the far wall.

Harry was more than happy to oblige. “Okay.” he mumbled tiredly. He wondered how long the three of them had been up here practicing, but was too exhausted to look at his watch.

“Why don’t we plan on meeting again in two days time?” asked Albus. Harry noticed he was addressing Severus and not him. He felt slightly put out, but then realized the man probably wasn’t asking him because he was almost asleep on his feet. He heard his father agree before he felt a hand take his elbow and steer him out of the room and through the office. He stumbled once more on the steps and would have fallen if Severus hadn’t caught him around the waist. He leaned tiredly against his father and allowed the man to practically drag him down to the dungeons. He discovered he was growing more and more tired and all he wanted to do was lie down and sleep for a very long time.

“Hold on, Harry, we’ll be in my quarters in just a moment.” he heard Severus say, but could only nod half-heartedly. Soon, they were walking through the living area and down the hallway towards his bedroom. He was dimly aware of his father stripping him down to his boxers and a t-shirt before he was allowed to lie down and covers were pulled up to his chin.

“Go to sleep.” whispered Severus, and Harry thought he felt his father kiss his forehead. That felt nice. He sighed and snuggled his head down deeper into the pillow. It didn’t take long for him to fall asleep…but it wasn’t as restful as he would have thought. Hours later he woke up screaming.