Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Will I Make it in Time

Severus rolled over in his bed. It was still an hour before dawn but he had been tossing and turning all night. Knowing he wasn't going to get anymore sleep, Severus swung his feet over the side of the bed and got up. Grabbing his robe, he sat down on the window sill and stared out into the still starry sky. His mind replayed last nights events over and over. He had a son, someone to share all of his potion secrets with, someone to spoil like he had never been. The moonlight filtering through the window caught something -- a smile.

As Severus walked to the Great Hall, there seemed to be a spring to his step. When he sat down, there was no usual sneer, and he missed the mouths gaping open in shock.

"Why is everyone staring at me?" Severus said, the glare creeping back over his face.

Minerva, the one usually on the end of one of his rants about her Gryffindors, spoke up. "Severus, this is the first morning this year I have not heard a complaint being uttered from your mouth at the first sight of me. Are you ill?"

Severus dropped his fork and noticed all the teachers, the headmaster included, were staring at him. Placing his best scowl on his face, Severus gave them all the sneer he reserved for his students. This seemed to make things normal again, and they all began eating again, as if the conversation had never happened. Severus himself dropped his gaze, finding his rice very interesting all of a sudden. What he didn't want them to see was the smile forming on his lips.

As the students filed out of the Great Hall, Dumbledore came over and placed his hand on Severus' shoulder. "Severus, I have not seen you at all lately. How about tea later in my office?"

Severus, thinking quickly on his feet, answered, "I am sorry, Albus, but I shall have to decline. I have a meeting later this afternoon with one of the parents, and I am scheduled for dinner with an old friend."

"Perhaps another time then, Severus," Albus said, walking away.

Severus wasted no time. He wanted to buy Harry something, something that would be from him. Not turning at the corner for the dungeons, Severus instead walked out the giant front doors and toward Hogsmeade. Normally he would have taken the floo, as not to run into students, but today he felt as if nothing could ruin this day, not even one of those Gryffindors.

Severus first walked into Flourish and Blotts, thinking that perhaps a nice book would entice the child, something he could read to Harry before bed, but soon discarded that idea. He wanted something personal, something that would remind Harry of him when he was not there.

Two hours later and Severus was ready to maim anyone within reach. He had searched the book store, the potion shop, and had even gone into the Quidditch shop, and he was still without a gift. Standing in the middle of the walkway he noticed several witches pushing their babies in prams and all were heading into the same shop, Binkies' Bottles and Blankets.

Holding his head high and placing a look on his face that dared anyone to talk to him, Severus strode into the shop. When he stepped in, Severus wanted to retch at the sight of babies everywhere and women cooing and kissing them all. Severus' only thought was how they were passing germs to every breathing thing in this room. Glancing around, Severus did not see anything suitable for Harry, until his eyes fell on a soft blue blanket. Not his first choice of colors, but the velvety touch of the fabric drew him in. It was so soft that Severus found himself rubbing it against his face.

"If you would like to purchase it, I can have it wrapped for you in five minutes," the saleslady said, giving Severus an odd look.

The motion was swift, almost knocking the lady off her feet, as Severus shot up from where he was kneeling. "I would like one of these, yes, and could you be swift? I would like to finish my errands sometime today."

Severus did not mean to be so rude, but the thought of anyone finding him here in this shop, sent shivers through him. He would rather be eaten by one of Hagrid's creatures than endure that. Taking his bundle, he left the shop as if a pack of hungry wolves were on his heels. Once back inside Hogwarts, Severus made a beeline for the dungeons. He hid Harry's gift and went to wash the weird perfumey smell he had acquired off of him. He had spent longer in Hogsmeade than he planned and was now rushing.

Stepping out of the shower, Severus felt the hairs on the back of his neck stand up. Swinging around, he felt the presence on the other side of the door before the knock sounded. Severus hid the bundle for Harry underneath his robes and opened the door. Stepping inside was non other than Lucius Malfoy, and he had a grin on his face like it was Christmas Eve.

"What is it that you want, Malfoy?"

"Why, Severus, is that any way to treat a friend who has come to bring you good news?"

Severus sneered at Malfoy, the pure hatred for the man churning up something vicious inside him. "You have never brought me anything but a headache. What is it that you want? I have things to do."

"The Dark Lord called some of us for a meeting, Severus, but I am afraid I could not find you to give you the good news. He has sent someone to kill those insufferable Potters."

Severus' face fell, his heart stopping.

"I knew you would be disappointed that you could not be there to witness their demise, therefore I came as quickly as I could. The Aurors will be arriving shortly, but you can still go and gloat over finally being rid of James and his muggle whore."

Severus didn't hear anything else, his mind racing, his heart slowly breaking into a thousand pieces. "Harry..." he thought as he pushed past Lucius, knocking him to the floor. Severus had to get to them before it was too late.