Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

Acting the Part

When Severus awoke the next morning he was relieved to find that all remnants of the curse were gone. He almost felt as if he had never been cursed at all. Thinking his was very fortunate he climbed from the bed and noticed he had not even taken his robes off from the night before. It was then Severus saw his wand sitting on the nightstand. He thought it peculiar that he would lay it there, but knew he was not in very good shape when he came home he shrugged it off and went to take a nice long bath.

Stepping from his room Severus saw Lucy making breakfast and sat down to enjoy a cup of coffee.

"Will sir be eating this morning?" Lucy questioned, knowing her master did not usually eat after coming home from a meeting.

"I think I would enjoy pancakes this morning Lucy, and a side of bacon if you can manage it."

Lucy could not explain her master's appetite but the thought of pleasing him, made her absolutely giddy and she went about making breakfast while he sat and sipped his coffee and read the newspaper. Soon there was a stack of pancakes on the table almost a foot high, and what seemed to Severus like a pound of bacon next to it.

"Lucy, there is no way I can eat all this unless I grow an extra head. I believe Harry is going to have to help me," Severus said, getting up from his chair to wake Harry.

Severus opened the door and walked over to the bed. He could see Harry was bundled up in the sheets in a ball, his head covered up under his pillow. Grabbing the sheet he yanked the covers away.

"Rise and shine there are pancakes to be eaten, and a full day of no classes for me to teach."

Harry groaned and tried to roll over and go back to sleep. His head was still pounding and he didn't relish the idea of eating anything.

"Come Harry, enough of this foolishness it is well past breakfast time and Lucy has made enough to feed an army of giants.

Harry opened his eyes mere slits and stared at his father. He really wanted to hide under the covers all day, but the look of his father staring back at him with a rare smile had him sitting up in the bed.

"Hurry and get dressed and come to the table. I expect you there in five minutes."

Harry waited till his father closed the door to groan. His whole body felt terrible, like so many other times when he knew Voldemort was mad. He had never spoken about his dreams with his father. As far as Harry knew no one else knew about it. Grabbing his jumper off the back of the chair he pulled it over his head and finished getting dressed. He didn't know if he could eat but he would try.

"Harry, you finally made it I see. Come and sit down and look at the stack of pancakes Lucy has made for us."

Harry took his seat and the scent of the pancakes hit him sending his stomach into violent churning. Grabbing his glass of pumpkin juice Harry tried to stave off the urge to retch.

Severus heaped Harry's plate full of food and then settled in to eat his own.

"Come on Harry. The other day I saw you eat five pancakes. You are a growing boy, and you need to eat."

Harry picked up his fork and forced down a bite, chasing it with the pumpkin juice which seemed to calm his stomach. Harry knew from previous dreams that the feeling would pass, but for now he could not look at the food, much less eat it.

"I'm not hungry Dad, can I skip breakfast?"

"Are you feeling well?" Severus asked, immediately wondering why.

"I feel fine, just not really hungry. Maybe you could save me some for later."

"Finish your juice if nothing else, but you will eat your lunch I presume, considering today is our picnic by the lake."

Harry smiled, Yes, I can't wait."

Harry excused himself to go shower in hopes that the hot water would ease some of the pain in his arms and legs, and sure enough when he stepped from the shower an hour later he was clean and his body didn't ache as much. His head still hurt some, but it was nothing compared to that morning. 'A small price to pay to keep from being sent to an orphanage,' Harry thought.

Harry spent the day chasing Severus around the lake, pushing him in once only to be scolded and then pushed in himself. They sat down on the blanket and Severus told him again about how much he reminded Severus of Lily, of her smile, her laugh. Harry loved hearing stories about his mother, and sat curled up in Severus' lap as he told them. These were the times that Harry loved the most, when he and his father could be just father and son.

Often Harry would mistake his father's wrath at school. Everyone at Hogwarts knew he was Harry Potter, but they didn't know he was not simply there at Dumbledore's invite for the day, but he was there actually to see his father at mealtimes. Severus pretended to loathe Harry there, playing the part that he must play in order for them both to survive.

It was on that Thursday that Harry once again found himself at Hogwarts. The Headmaster had invited him to have lunch with his father and Harry had jumped at the chance, but walking towards the headmaster's office Harry ran right into a few Slytherins. Harry looked everywhere to see of anyone was around to help, but no one was coming and the stares of the Slytherins were intense.

"Harry Potter, how nice of you to drop by," one of them smirked. "My father has spoken about you. How you tried to kill the Dark Lord. He is amazed that a piece of muggle filth like you could do it. I personally think he would be very happy if I were to bring you to him."

Harry cringed, being only seven he was half the size of the Slytherin holding him and he had no means of escape. Closing his eyes he felt the sharp pain as the Slytherin boy delivered a fist to his stomach. Harry awaited the next blow but it never came, and he ventured to open his eyes.

"My my boys, what have we here?" Severus said, glaring at Harry. "Boys I have told you not to play with your enemies but to go for the kill have I not?" he said, staring at the boys around him. All the boys nodded in affirmation. "I have also told you about being discreet. Now how would it look for you to have him in your possession should Dumbledore come walking around the corner?"

"He deserves no sympathy. He is a half breed and should suffer the Dark Lord's wrath for what he has done!" one of the boys spat.

"I agree Mr. Smittens, but we shall have our chance soon. Dumbledore will be looking for him, but we shall bid our time, and very soon we shall avenge the Dark Lord."

The boys let go of Harry and took off in the direction of the Great Hall. Once they were gone Severus picked Harry up and walked into an empty classroom, sitting him on one of the empty desks.

"Are you all right Harry? Did they hurt you?"

Harry shook his head and turned away from Severus.

"Harry look at me. You know I must act the part when you are here, we have spoken about it many times. Tell me did they hurt you?"

Harry turned back around and Severus saw the tears glistening in the corners of his eyes. Harry showed him the bruise trying to form on his stomach, and Severus sent one of the house elves to retrieve a salve for it. Once the house elf returned Severus spread it on Harry's bruise until all traces of it were gone, and then he gently placed his arms around Harry.

"I am truly sorry Harry. To give away our secret means certain death for both of us. You understand that don't you?" Harry nodded his head yes, but Severus did not miss the hurt in his eyes. "Perhaps it is best if you don't come for lunch for a while."

"No Dad!" I like eating lunch with you" Harry yelled, wrapping his arms around Severus' neck.

Severus returned the hug, and picked Harry up placing him back on his feet. "Come, let us go to lunch before the headmaster comes looking for us."

Harry and Severus went through the back way to the headmaster's room and soon were knocking on his door. When they entered Dumbledore was sitting behind his desk.

"Severus, Harry I was wondering what was keeping you, no problems I presume?"

"None Headmaster, we were just having a little talk."

"Good to hear, Severus I would like to have a talk with you about this coming weekend after lunch if I may."

Severus nodded his head, and the three of them enjoyed a nice lunch of roast chicken and potatoes. Harry's stomach was feeling much better now and soon his plate was empty.

"Harry, I have a new collection of those muggle comic books you enjoy so much upstairs in my study. You are more than welcome to go and look at them if you wish."

Harry's eyes brightened at the chance to go and look at the books, but he also knew when he was being distracted so the adults could talk. Harry got up from his seat and walked the spiral staircase up to the study, but after only a few minutes he found himself coming back down.

"If I don't go then he will grow more suspicious Albus," he heard his father say.

"Severus, I only worry for your well being. Voldemort has been brutal as of late. How long can you go on spying before he gives you an ultimatum?"

"I will do what I have to do to keep Harry safe Albus you know this. Warn the people of Enfield, tell them the Dark Lord will be coming this weekend, but Albus he did not tell me when."

"I understand Severus but do try to be careful. I have grown quite fond of you and I would hate to see anything happen to you. What would become of Harry?"

"Harry is why I do this Albus. I do not know where he would go, but he will be safe as long as I can manage it."

Harry didn't want to hear anymore and made sure he made lots of noise coming back down the stairs.

"Harry," Severus said, noticing the boy standing at the bottom of the stairs. "Are you ready to go home now?"

Harry said he was and Severus told him goodbye and that he would be home soon. Harry stepped into the floo in the Headmaster's office and stepped back out in his own home. He was glad he had done the spell because now his father would be safe, now he would not be sent away. Smiling to himself Harry went to find Lucy to see what they were having for lunch.