Potions and Snitches
Snape and Harry Gen Fanfiction Archive

One Accident After Another

Severus awoke very late. He opened his eyes expecting to see the sun, but instead he was met with total darkness. Turning his head slightly he read the numbers on the grandfather clock. It was nearly four in the morning, and Severus couldn't believe he had slept so long. Rolling over he placed a hand on Harry's head, and saw that the boy was neither hot or cold. Relieved Severus gently eased out of the bed, and went into the kitchens.

Severus stretched, and felt better than he had in months. This must be what it felt like to actually get a good nights sleep, however you procured it. Severus walked into the kitchen and put on a kettle for some tea. He was sure to be quiet for he didn't want Lucy to waken and interrupt the solitude. Once his tea was ready he sat there sipping it and staring out the window. Something about the darkness of night had always scared him as a child, but now he felt a sense of calm.

Severus knew he had classes to teach today, but perhaps he would get Lucy to prepare Harry's favorite dish for dinner. Maybe that would bring back Harry's appetite. His cup now empty, Severus stood up and went into the bathroom to take a long bath. He turned on the water as hot as he dared and added the cinnamon scent into his bath. He then sank deep beneath the water of the tub and laid his head against the back of it. The water felt wonderful, and Severus did not wish to ever get out. On the other side of the door, Harry snuggled deeper into the covers, and relaxed.

Harry did not waken when it was time for breakfast, nor when his father kissed him atop the head before he left for work. Harry did not wake up till he heard the clattering of the bowls as Lucy made lunch.

Opening his eyes he realized that all the pain from the day before was now all but gone, and that he felt hungry enough to eat a bear. Quickly he clambered out of the bed, and went to wash up, and get dressed, and within minutes had flopped himself down at the table as Lucy brought out the chicken soup and crisps.

"Master Severus said for Lucy to make you soup for lunch so Lucy is doing what she is told." the house elf explained, as Harry looked at the soup as if wanting something else.

Sighing, he picked up his spoon and realized he did in fact enjoy the soup, and crumbled all of his crisps into it and stirred it up. The soup felt good going down, and after no hint of it coming back up, Harry tucked in.

Severus sat at the table with the other teachers, occasionally glaring at one of the Hufflepuffs as he ate. He was so preoccupied with glaring at them he forgot to cool the soup before placing the spoon in his mouth. Severus dropped it immediately, the soup scorching is tongue, but the feeling disappeared as fast as it had come, and he went about eating, only after applying the cooling charm. At home however, Harry's own spoon fell into his bowl with a clatter.

"How could the last bite burn my tongue?" he thought. Not really caring Harry pushed himself back from the table and went to color in the book Severus had bought him. He colored the picture of the dragon first, making the scales green and the wings bright red. Harry even drew flames coming from the dragon's mouth as the picture didn't have any and then he went to color another.

Severus sat watching the first years potion class, with a relentless glare. The students were Gryfinndors and of course easily distracted. It didn't help matters that the Weasley twins were in the class. Severus knew that one if not both of them would try something before the end of class, for it never failed. They seemed almost immune to his looks of death, well, either immune or too dense to care.

Severus was peering into Fred Weasley's cauldron when he began to rant.

"The potion was supposed to be a bright yellow Mr. Weasley, but I see your lack of reading skills has produced a green sludge instead."

Severus was about to clear the substance away when it started to bubble and froth, and in one loud pop the contents of the cauldron grew into a giant bubble, lifting from the cauldron itself. Severus wasted no time in placing a shielding charm around the room, but he was not quick enough to place one on himself before the bubble burst.

Severus fell backward from the blast, knocking over two rows of desks before he came to a halt underneath one of them. He went to get up, but placing weight on his arm, made him cry out in sudden pain. Severus rolled his eyes, just what he needed a fractured wrist, but when he went to stand again there was no pain. Severus thought it was perhaps the way he had turned it, and went about lecturing Fred Weasley on his idiotic behavior, and how he would surely kill them all if he continued in Potions.

Harry was sitting on the couch reading a book when the pain hit his arm, sending the book falling to the floor. Harry didn't want to cry out, but he could not help it.

"Is Master Harry all right? Does he need Lucy to get Master Severus?"

"No!" Harry yelled, "I'm fine Lucy," he said through gritted teeth. "I just got tangled up in the blanket and fell off the couch," Harry said, to explain why he was now on his knees on the floor.

"If Master Harry is sure, then Lucy will be getting back to the cooking."

Harry waited for Lucy to walk away before he let the tears flow down his face from the pain. It felt as if his arm had been banged in the door. If his father found out Harry knew he would be in a lot of trouble, well, that and then his father would reverse the spell. Harry feared that more than anything. Wiping the tears from his face he cradled his injured arm to him, and walked down the hall.

Harry knew his father had pain relieving potions in his bathroom, for Harry had sat and watched him brewing them down in the labs. Harry had taken them a couple times when he had a stomach ache, and his father took them for his migraines, so Harry thought they couldn't really hurt him. Taking one of the potions bottles Harry downed the contents and immediately felt some relief. His arm still ached, and it was slightly swollen, but now Harry was able to tolerate it.

Knowing he didn't wish to be around Lucy lest she figure out anything Harry went into his room, and pulled his favorite book off the nightstand. His father read from it from time to time, and Harry even though he knew the entire story loved it. Harry opened the book to the second chapter and started reading, but by the third chapter he was feeling drowsy. Pulling the blanket up over him, Harry laid his head on his pillow, the book propped up in front of him. It was not long before the tug of sleep won out and Harry was lost in his dreams.

A/N: Yes, he will figure it out.